The Fast and the Furious (2001) Poster

1,007 Reviews
A solid entertainment weel done action heist movie
ivo-cobra817 October 2015
The Fast and the Furious (2001) It is solid decent action film of the film franchise. I love this film it is my third favorite film in the series. I wasn't watching this film for the cars or street races this film is about robbery, as a string of high-speed electronics truck robberies rocks the area. The Team stole $1.2 million worth of major electronics and the cops doesn't have any leads who has done it. There is only one team that could be responsible, Dominic Torreto (Vin Diesel) and his gang of street racers. During the night Torreto and his crew of street racers are driving cars in Los Angeles. Brian O'Conner (Paul walker) a undercover LAPD officer under the alias "Brian Earl Spilner", is he assigned to find out who is stealing the merchandise.

This is my favorite film, it is an decent Action film about heist $1.2 million and not about the cars. Why I love this film? Because It is clever, intelligent, Entertained, fast paced and not boring film. The girls are beautiful in this team. The Action sequences are real and perfectly done. I love that late Paul Walker plays Brian O'Conner and undercover L.A. Police Officer who try's to do the right thing. I am Paul Walker fan and Brian O'Conner is my favorite character of the whole franchise and series. I am saying The Fast and the Furious is better than 2,3 and even 7 so the film is pretty good.

Paul Walker, Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster did a terrific job playing their characters.With these players set in motion, it's up to the script to deliver the real substance of the movie. (One often sees great performances in mediocre films..here the story transcends the performances -- an impressive feat.) The script delivers. These themes are reinforced by the fine performances by Paul Walker and, particularly, Vin Diesel. Diesel's Toretto is a tough, no-nonsense, street-smart and highly-skilled racer on the outside, but as O'Conner and the audience come to know him, it is revealed that he is a human being with feelings, a troubled and hard past, and doing his best to get along, even if it means skirting or breaking the law. He's the head of a household, and the patriarch of sorts of a gang that is more family than it is a collection of members. Diesel brings hard-nosed and gritty energy to the role, but compliments that with a softer, more accessible side that makes him an odd sort of antihero, a man clearly in the wrong but not maliciously or spitefully so. Walker, too, is excellent as the undercover officer that finds the world of underground racing not-so-seedy as it seems.

On the turbo-charged streets of Los Angeles, every night is a championship race. With intense full-throttle action, awesome high-speed stunts, and full-on pedal to the metal intensity, this fast and furious assault puts you in the driver's seat and dares you to exceed all limits.Los Angeles police officer Brian O'Connor must decide where his loyalties really lie when he becomes enamored with the street racing world he has been sent undercover to destroy.

It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.

The Fast and the Furious is a gritty and gratifying cheap thrill, Rob Cohen's high-octane hot-car is a true rarity these days, a really good exploitation, the sort of thing that would rule at drive-ins if they still existed. The Fast and the Furious is a good Action movie. It offers a conventional plot but populates the story with well-developed primary characters that draw the audience in and make them care about their stories. In the movie, the line between good and bad becomes blurred to the point that, by the end, it matters not which side of the law the characters call home.

I love this film to death! It is my 3d favorite film in the series franchise. The Fast and the Furious kicks ass! Even for PG-13 film they kick ass! Brian O'Conner kicks ass!!!
80 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
There's something about Vin
Dan Grant25 June 2001
Every summer a film comes around that takes everyone by surprise. Last year it was Scary Movie and I'm sure in 1977 it was a film like Star Wars and then in 1981 it was Raiders of the Lost Ark. Now I am not saying that The Fast and the Furious is in the same class as Raiders and Star Wars, just that it surprised everyone on the same level. F&F is short on plot and dialogue and even some of the acting is lame, but what it is oozes is testosterone. It pumps your blood, increases your adrenaline and attacks you with fast cars, sexy women and that one invariable that I think it has going for it... Vin Diesel. There is just something about the guy, something that you really can't put your finger on, but he just has it. Maybe it is charisma, maybe it is charm, maybe it is just that he resembles some of the action heroes from the 80's with his chiseled triceps and his slabs of pecs. Maybe it is all those things and maybe it is none of those things, all I know is that F&F is exactly what I had hoped it would be and nothing more. This is the summer movie that I have been waiting for. It's not that the films that have been out so far aren't that great because some of them are, it's just that this is the one that epitomises what summer as a teen ager is all about. It is no wonder that exit polls for this film were around 65-70% under the age of 21. And maybe that is why I enjoyed it so much. I am pushing 30 but isn't it cool to lose yourself in a film that reminds you what it was like to be in highschool. And isn't it cool to watch street racers break 140 miles an hour wile they shoot NOS through their vehicles? Well isn't it?

F&F doesn't contain any machinations similar to a film like Mission Impossible and it doesn't dazzle us with special effects of impending doom like Armageddon did, but it takes us into a world where people live life "a quarter of a mile at a time."

Vin Diesel plays Dominic Toretto, a massive, bald mechanic that owns a garage but street races on the side to make some extra cash. Paul Walker ( The Skulls, Varsity Blues) plays Brian Spindler. He is a cop that has infiltrated the street gang to find out who is highjacking trucks and stealing all their merchandise. There are about four rival street gangs in L.A. and one of them is pulling this off. He has to figure out which one. Of course along the way he seduced by the life, but that is not what we really care about. All we want to see is lots of racing, a few crashes, some fights and some sex. F&F doesn't disappoint. If what you have seen in the trailers of the film excites and entices you, then you know exactly what you're in for. This is not going to win any Oscars for anything but what it will do is entertain you. It will expedite you for 90 minutes into a world where Honda's are souped up to look like Dragons and junkyard scraps are rebuilt from scratch to be better than they were before, better, stronger and faster. If this film appealed to you in the commercial, it will appeal to you on the screen.

And of course there is Vin Diesel. He first made a name for himself in Saving Private Ryan where he played Capparrzo. Then he jumped onto the scene with his excellent and grandiose turn as Riddick in Pitch Black. I think this is the film that got him noticed because no one had even heard of him before this. Then he did Boiler Room and he showed a different side to him. But F&F is all muscle and sheer bravado. I think Vin is going to do great things in the years to come. He is not a nobody anymore. This film will take care of that. And face it, isn't it cool to see the genesis of a new action hero?

8 out of 10- The ultimate summer rush!
82 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Solid movie... Worth renting
skternate21 June 2006
Today I saw Tokyo drift and yesterday I saw 2 fast 2 furious for the fifth time, but I still find myself drawn toward the original. It stars Paul Walker as an undercover cop who infiltrates the street racing underworld of LA to catch a crook who has been hijacking millions of dollars worth of electronics from 18wheelers, causing the truckers to take matters into their own hands, ultimately ending in deaths and multitudes of money stolen. Now, you would think that because of the semi weak plot, this movie wouldn't be that good, however, the main storyline is just a small part of this movie, the other elements being action and some interesting relationships regarding vin diesels character. Diesel plays a street racing god, one of the best in the LA scene. Walkers character, Brians, way into the world is through Dominic Toretto (Diesel). Toretto has an air about him which draws other in, and Brian is no different. Throughout the movie, Brian is getting to know Dom, earning his trust, etc, but at the end of the movie, both Dom and Brian are forced to make a decision about each other... The whole relationship is interesting to watch. As for the action, there is plenty of it. Besides the many races, there is also some gunplay and some hand to hand fighting, and some interesting hijacking sequences.

All in all the cars are hot, the girls are hotter, the cars are fast, the guns are loaded, and for the more serious, the relationship between Dom, Mia, Vince, Letty, and the others is amazing.

If you haven't seen this movie, rent it tonight
68 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
An action movie with a some-what plot, hot babes, fast cars, great action and a meet-expectations.
departed071 May 2008
The Fast and the Furious is probably the first movie to get me into cars while at the same time enjoying myself without having to worry about a plot.

Paul Walker plays Brian O'Conner, a hot shot police officer, who goes undercover as a car junkie Brian Spilner to see if a local street racer/mechanic by the name of Dominic Toretto (Vin Diseal) has anything to do with hijacking a bunch of cargo from DVD's, TV's, entertainment sets, and so forth while at the same time falling head over heels for Dominic's sister Mia (Jordana Brewster). Brian comes so close while at the same time gaining trust to the target (Dominic) itself where it's only a matter of time before the truth comes out.

The film itself has the best action sequences involving street racing and high octane action where despite a so-so plot to follow, or one that's been seen before (such as Point Break), you don't have to worry about a thing. It's just pure fun.

The film also stars Michelle Rodriguez (S.W.A.T.) as Dominic's girlfriend, Letty; Ted Levine (The Silence of the Lambs) as Sgt. Tanner, and singer Ja Rule in a small cameo as a contestant against Dominic.
27 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Live life 1/4 mile at a time.
Jessica Carvalho21 May 2006
I love ''The Fast and the Furious''. Many people are criticizing it in a bad way, saying that this movie have ruined the street car culture among other things.Well, I can't judge very much because I am not(yet) a car expert, but I can say that what this movie did was show to other people who never saw or heard anything like that, another reality that they are not used to see or hear. I became much more interesting in cars(specially tuning them) after watching ''The Fast and the Furious''and a whole new world have become a reality to me. Vin Diesel is awesome and hot (as usual)as the character Toretto,the respected leader of a famous street gang that is under suspicion of stealing expensive electronic equipments. The plot itself is not a profound or a big thing, but the cars and the races in this movie are really awesome!

You gotta love or hate it! :)
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Don't take this movie too seriously(a classic!)
hootiefan31 July 2002
When you watch Fast and the Furious, please don't take it as a serious work of drama. Watch it as a mindless movie with fast cars and attractive women. With that said you would consider it a masterpiece.

True, the movie has bad acting and poor story, but that is what makes it a marvelous popcorn film. My friends and I spend hours mocking the film and its horrendous dialogue. The movie is full of silly lines bound to make you laugh. Just check the memorable quotes section. There are so many classic scenes that make it a campy movie. Some scenes and dialogue is so ridiculous that it is too much fun to ridicule and imitate. It so bad it's good. Plus it is very watchable because of the fast cars and hot girls. I'm not sure if the filmmakers intentionally had the goal of "so bad it's good" but the cast and crew have made this into one of the best unintentionally funny films of all time.

I urge each living soul to witness this magnificent work of art with an open mind and sense of humor. You won't regret it.

(Another note: Ja Rule is terrific in this film. He produces the all-time greatest cameo. Unintentional or not it is a work of genius in the comedy department. He is a pure delight to see him on screen.)
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Insanely Fast
jaded_aero25 June 2001
This movie, has by far the best car racing scenes ever filmed, as well as the best cars. They are gorgeous machines, and these guys certainly can drive them. Great story, not just another Gone in Sixty Seconds where all they did was steal cars, there actually weren't very many race scenes as you might expect, but every shot is filled with cars, and lots of them. The acting is great as well, as usual Vin Diesel gives a brilliant performance, as Dominic Toretto. It has already earned a massive following, and when you leave the theaters you will be filed with such a massive adrenaline rush, that you and all your buddies will be left with the feeling that you must go out and race. Everybody I have talked to have said the same thing, it just has this crazy adrenaline rush it gives you. I highly recommend this to all fans of cars, and racing, but it has something for everybody so see it even if you are not a fan of either, bottom line, just see it!!!!!!
40 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
It's more than just an action movie.
PWNYCNY24 October 2011
This is a great movie. Far from being superficial pulp, this movie has a complex plot. Vin Diesel's performance is tremendous; his screen presence is dominating. He succeeds in carrying the movie. Although the movie contains lots of glitz, it also tells a story that deals with themes such as loyalty and betrayal. The rest of the cast is excellent too, especially Jordana Brewster and Paul Walker. Michelle Rodriguez is as usual wonderful. It would be easy to dismiss this movie as being little more than a live action cartoon, but the movie really is full of surprises. It has several intensely dramatic scenes, some of the most incredible car chase scenes, and some deeply esoteric verbal exchanges fraught with emotion. Whether it's Vin Diesel pouting or Paul Walker being heroic, the results are same: nonstop action, intense dialog, and interesting characters, all of which together produce great entertainment. It's more than just about automobiles.
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
It will leave you dazed and breathless.
Gibson Praise16 July 2001
It begins with a spectacular action scene where three Honda Civics execute a high-speed highjacking of a cargo truck, and from there, the action never stops. With The Fast and the Furious, director Rob Cohen seeks to capture and thrill the audience with a booming soundtrack and non-stop action, and he seems to have succeeded.

The film follows officer Brian O'Connor as he infiltrates a street-racing gang in order to capture the drivers of the three enigmatic Hondas, which have been terrorizing truck drivers in Los Angeles. The gang is led by ex-racer Dominic Toretto. Toretto immediately takes a liking to O'Connor, while his gang seems a bit skeptic. Toretto's right-hand man Vince is O'Connor's main problem, as he suspects the truth about his identity from the very beginning.

The plot is slightly dry, as the movie incorporates many typical aspects of other films of the genre. For example, there's the fact that Toretto is the only one to trust O'Connor. The rest of his gang except for, of course, Vince, quickly follows him. Then there's the whole falling-in-love-with-the-sister-of-the-guy-I'm-about-to-get-arrested subplot. And then there are your typical problems from rival gangs and the hero's attempt to prove himself by striking against them. Yet despite the many stereotypical aspects of the script, the well-developed characters and interesting relationships save the movie from becoming just another heap of typical Hollywood sensationalism.

The movie features strong acting, as the actors work well together and compliment each other's performances. This is only Michelle Rodriguez' second major performance since her film debut in the independent drama Girl Fight, which was a hit at the Cannes Film Festival last year. Not just another bad girl, Rodriguez shows a strong acting ability, which is apparent in her portrayal of Lena. Vin Diesel is also a fairly good actor who seems to be climbing through the ranks of Hollywood. Best known for his role in the failed science-fiction thriller Pitch Black, Diesel sports a memorable attitude and strong screen presence that promise to make him a contender for future stardom. Opting to cast less known, yet strong actors instead of more commercially viable ones, Rob Cohen has created a well-rounded cast, which gives the movie its fresh attitude and memorable mood.

Yet it is the action scenes that are the real stars of the movie. Featuring three races and four equally spectacular action sequences, the movie delivers fast and furious action from beginning to end. Accompanied by a rocking soundtrack, the action sequences are put together by flawless editing and elaborate stunts, effectively creating a maddening adrenaline rush in any viewer.

A long time producer and Harvard graduate, Cohen has achieved success a director, with movies such as Dragonheart, The Skulls, Daylight, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (which he also wrote and starred in) and several episodes of the series Miami Vice. He is also a screenwriter and has had small roles in some of his movies. He plays a pizza delivery boy in The Fast and The Furious.

Although the slight semblance of a plot does not make this something for the serious moviegoer, the relentless action more than makes up for it. Not too long and filled with fantastic cars and non-stop entertainment, The Fast and the Furious will leave you dazed and breathless.
72 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Simply best movie ever
eskyy102 July 2014
Not only because it was shot at my hometown (Los Angeles CA) but, it has every essence of a great film. This to me is the best movie of all the FF franchise. This movie touches action, love, hate, friendship, adrenaline etc. It has a great storyline to keep you entertain. This movie I believe was very successful not only because during that point during the American culture Auto Tunning was reaching its peak but because of the actors selected. At that time these were not world wide icons and had not been involve in a blockbuster movie that would tattooed their careers in Hollywood. Finally I just want to point out that I am no movie critic or someone who studied in order to criticize a movie, I am simply an average Joe that likes to see all kinds of movies but, specially action movies been The Fast and the Furious my favorite movie of all times. Have to say that my first ever DVD (or movie for that matter) I bought with my own money was this FF movie.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Well Worth Your Time
ehrldawg30 May 2011
Truck loads are being hi jacked and the LAPD has sent in an undercover cop into the street racing world to find out who is doing it.

This movie is outstanding on many levels. The climatic failed truck - jacking scene has to be one of the top 10 trucker scenes of all time. When we watch it at the truck stop,we all cheer for the truck driver who got away with his load intack,although with a radiator full of buck shot. Well done Rob Cohen,ken Li,Gary Scott Thompson,Erik Bergquist,David Ayer,Unknown Actor,Matt Schultz,Paul Walker,Vin Deisel,Johnny Strong,Michelle Rodriguez, and Jordana Brewster. If I missed your name and you had something to do with this scene,i.e. stint coordinator or editor,i beg your forgiveness. If you had something to do with this great trucker scene,Well Done.

Mike White drove the Freigtliner 18 wheeler.

Unknown Actoer drove the Peterbuilt 18 wheeler.

The Unknown Actor and Mike White are permanent A list actors.

Michelle Rodriguez and Jordana Brewster are hot

---One truck Drivers Opinion---

erldwgstruckermovies.com
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Not as bad as the current rating suggests
mentalcrime5 October 2007
If you like cars - this movie is for you. Sure, the cars in this movie are not what an ordinary European lad would regard as decent, some of the parts are quite alluring (T66 with NOS you know... ;-)) but among the car bodies there are some that look way too stereotype (Honda Civics...?).

The story is entertaining, though rarely sophisticated. This, I guess, is the reason for why someone reader of IMDb commented that in this movie Vin's talent was wasted. I consent to this to quite some degree and really suggest to those of you, who haven't already familiarized themselves with the work of this convincing actor to do so as soon as there is a chance to.
31 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Just a quick good game!
mcbengs14 July 2001
Outstanding movie, makes me want to go out and sup up my car and race somebody. A definate see. I loved the fast cars, the high speed adrenalin, and some good lookin women. One of the best "car" movies i've seen yet.
31 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Comes at you Fast AND Furious
SupraTurbo25 June 2001
The Fast and the Furious comes at you like it says. It's not a long movie and really never slows down much at all! Those looking for a movie delving into a complex plot with in depth charachters need not watch it. The movie is as the preview shows, a lot of great car chase scenes held together by a loose form of a plot. It does what Gone in 60 Seconds only wishes it could do. In gone in 60 you have 2 scenes with cars driving fast at all. Here you have at least 6 or 7 distinctly different and memorable scenes. Although acting ability and some of the lines lack severely, this can be forgiven and is made up by the cars. This movie is perfect for anyone into speed and tuned import sports cars for the most part(yes, even the occasional despicable economy car made to "perform" is present)I saw the previews knowing this was going to be basically an adrenaline rush of a movie, and I gave it a 10 because that's what it delivered.
51 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A perfect 10...
Shevy110313 April 2013
I just saw it for the thousand time, and it's still as good as the first time I saw it. Rob Cohen is a pure genius, he truly is. These movies are magnificently awesome and I'm going to tell you why. No Spoiler alerts I promise.

Let's start with the basics. The script and plot is close to perfection. Everything from Action, comedic feuds, deceit, romance and amazing surprises. It has a little of everything and a lot of the rest.

The characters' difference is brilliant. The background of them is hidden beneath the surface of someone completely different. They're just amazingly entertaining. They're personalities is even better. I can't say anything else because I'm out of words; speechless.

The action scenes are incredible for a movie like this. I won't say to much about them though, but if you haven't seen it yet, do so. The first scene when you see how good Brian drives is good and when you see the spark he has, and how his driving improves throughout the movie; nice, very nice.

The turning point is pretty good too, but you'll have to find it yourself because I am not going to spoil your movie-experience. The twists in the movie are good, and there is more than one as well. Everyone has secrets, and the secrets are what make this movie just as good as it is. Without the secrets the movie wouldn't be worth watching.

OK, let's talk about the acting. First, Mark Vincent (or as you may know; Vin Diesel), I'm a big fan for a reason. There's never anything to say on his acting, so I won't even get into how amazingly amazing he is. So, the rest of them, I am a little iffy on their names so I am just going to call them by their character names. Brian, or the guy who played his role in the movie did a great job and so did Mia and Vince. There wasn't any bad acting in the movie, only good acting and some awesome acting.

The mix of secrecy, trust and romance is pretty damn good. I'm running out of adjectives. So I'll just try and wrap this up and give you my concluding opinion and rating of this movie.

This movie is definitely worth watching. I really and truly recommend you to watch this movie and its following movies. They are worth watching, ask anyone who've seen them they'll tell you the same. Personally I think it's great and awesome and so does my pal here who watched it with me an hour or so ago. For my rating, based on everything I wrote and didn't write, I give it 10 out of 10 stars. Why? I couldn't find anything negative about it and since I still enjoy watching after all these times I've already seen it it's probably worthy of a perfect 10.

Rating: 10/10

Thanks for reading my review. Good night, Bon soir, guten nacth, god natt y Buenos noches. Peace & Love God Bless

• J.J.Shevy
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
It is a neat, nitrous oxide powered glamour film
CinemaCocoa13 April 2017
The surprisingly humble beginnings (by comparison) of what is now a six film series, The Fast and the Furious was a hit for bringing a new lease of life to the racing film.

An undercover cop, Brian O'Conner, must discover who is to blame for goods trucks being hi-jacked and stolen by drivers in high performance street cars. He puts himself into the urban culture of street racing where he meets Dominic Toretto and his team. Brian falls for Dominic's sister, Mia, in the process and threatens his investigation and his life.

The film is quite a brainless piece of entertainment, its story is predictable, it follows an undercover cop who starts to sympathize with his targets, and the characters are written spontaneously to fit the demands of the plot. You gotta love the opening dialogue: "I like the tuna here," "Nobody likes the tuna here!" Plus, Paul Walker really is a bland actor.

But, that isn't why we watch the film. The Fast and the Furious does have some great car racing scenes and director Rob Cohen can shoot the cars and make them look great. What is most appealing is the physicality of the stunts and the racing; there's no CGI tomfoolery here, and there is a simplicity about the film that makes it worth watching. You don't need to suspend your disbelief, the plot doesn't shovel many excuses for racing into your face.

It is a neat, nitrous oxide powered glamour film. It doesn't say much, and it will probably age badly over time (and get a remake) but it is a must for every petrol-head and car racing fan out there.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Still "Fast" after all these years
ryanskywalker-8740212 April 2017
Rob Cohen's "The Fast and the Furious" has no business being as great as it is. A film about fast cars, undercover cops, and highway robbery should provide limited, perhaps dimwitted thrills, but Cohen's colorful and swift-paced action outing provides such likable characters, slick stunts, and buoyant spirit that the whole affair elevates itself to the highest levels of lively, well-assembled fun. It is a surprisingly robust and satisfying experience.

The film follows an undercover police officer working to infiltrate the world of street racing to bust a low-level crime syndicate. While undercover, he develops an affinity toward the racers and inconvenient brotherhood is established. Between the cars, busts, and friendships, a token crime story becomes a tale of family. It is simply compelling and effortlessly entertaining.

Cohen creates a multi-ethnic world of sunshine, turbo charged technology, and well-rendered characters. It is a Los Angeles of beautiful paint jobs, palm trees, and lived-in locations. Color, verve, and speed burst forth from Cohen's frames in layered and lively compositions. Editing, design, and music create an always- pulsing energy that permeates every sequence.

Though the film is about racing and the thrills that drive the sport, Cohen cast actors that earn as much attention as the horse- powered rockets. Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Jordana Brewster, Chad Lindberg, and Michelle Rodriguez form the family unit the inspires the film's themes and emotions. Each actor builds a solid character, with the leads being especially memorable. Diesel glowers and Walker exudes a naive charm. They form a charismatic duo.

A slick and undeniably entertaining action gem, "The Fast and the Furious" soars with its combination of character and thrills. Set pieces are exciting, character beats are affecting, and the stunts are electrifying. It is a remarkable, sweat, oil, and sun-soaked piece of work.
Loved it!
stephie-1222 February 2004
This movie is adrenalin charged from the very beginning. The plot centres around an undercover cop,Brian, who has to investigate a number of hijacks. To do this, he must get to know the chief suspect, Dominic Torretto (a stellar performance by the magnificent Vin Diesel) and his group of street racers who buy Japanese cars and spend thousands of dollars converting them into racing machines. As well as being a street racer, Dom also runs a store and a garage. His gang includes his girlfriend Lettie, younger sister Mia and friends Vince, Leon and Jessie. Brian is drawn deeper into the glamourous world, falling for Mia and discovering a respect for Dom, which conflicts with his objectivity.

Rob Cohen does an amazing job of directing this movie, even making a Hitchcock-esque cameo as a pizza delivery guy. The film is very well acted, particularly by Vin Diesel, who manages to portray the two sided character of the carefree street-racer with the responsible older brother who looks out for Mia and the rest of his team. His performance is by far the best of the entire film. Apparently the character of Lettie was not in the original story and unfortunately this shows. Michelle Rodriguez pouts and sneers her way through the film, and her character has no real depth. This is the only low point in a truly brilliant film.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Fun, Fast and Fantastic one of the best car movies!
toopie24 July 2003
The Fast and the Furious is a perfect movie to it's subject. Turbo sexy cars, great women, fantastic action, and a good strong story, and good acting with Vin Diesel who is awesom and perfect for and in this film, Paul Walker with a really good character for the part and who is very good in this. And Jordana Brewster plays a really good girlfriend and sister.
Testosterone packed
Strobe323 March 2003
I've read alot of negative comments about this movie and that really annoys me. If you don't like cars, and if you don't like action, then why would you even watch this movie in the first place? The whole point of this movie is to give the public a look inside import racing, and spice it up with a whole lotta action and sex. Don't bash the movie if its not the type of movie you like, just be smart and read the description before you watch it.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Can You Say "Point Break?"
cheddar_fixxx30 September 2002
*POSSIBLE SPOILERS WITHIN*

The Fast and the Furious (2001) is another run-of-the-mill crash-bang action car chase flick. I went into the cinema expecting that, and that is exactly what I got.

The story revolves around Brian O'Conner (Paul Walker), or 'Brian Earl Spilner,' as he calls himself when he goes undercover, a rookie cop who races cars and works for The Racer's Edge, an auto parts store, who is infiltrating a street racing gang lead by Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel), who are under suspicion for hijacking tracks containing DVD players, television sets and other electronics. When he gets to know the group more, he learns a lot of lessons from Dom about Life, and car racing, such as, "It doesn't matter whether you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." He also discovers that Dominic and everyone else are too calm and collected to hijack trucks, and that it may be being done by a group of Chinese street bikers lead by Johnny Tran (Rick Yune), who's sister Dominic made the mistake of sleeping with. As Brian gets more and more attached and drawn into Dom's world, he throws a spanner in the works when he falls in love with Dom's sister Mia (Jordana Brewster). Soon, they are all suspicious of Brian being a cop, and he must choose where his loyalties lie.

This film has some pretty impressive car chase and race scenes, but is clearly following the same plot outline as Point Break (1991), but using car racing instead of surfing, and both the films star two young male actors as rookie cops (although Keanu Reeves is getting older now).

But even so, The Fast and the Furious was an enjoyable film for me. If you're looking for a little bit of entertainment where you don't have to use your brain too much, and love car chases and action, then this film is for you. I think that it is more for the younger generation, and if you talk to the older generation about car chase and race sequences, then the film Bullitt (1968) is sure to come up, starring the late, great Steve McQueen, who starred in other such great movies as The Great Escape (1963), and The Getaway (1972), and who tragically died on 7 November, 1980, of lung cancer. The Fast and the Furious was a good movie, with some kick-ass action, but if you want to see one of the first great car chase films, rent Bullitt, as it is by far one of the best of that ilk.

Beau's Rating: *** 1/2 out of *****
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A remake of Point Break, but so what?!!
BuffDonky3 April 2002
Obviously this is a remake of Point Break but so what!! The storyline is adequate. The racing scenes are first-rate. And the soundtrack was pretty decent too. Heck, that was all I personally expected and truthfully the movie outperformed my expectations. Vin Diesel did a great job as did the Keanu wannabe. Non-stop action is all I asked for in this one and I got it. 7/10 for living up to itself.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Mainstream fluff but this first instalment works for them
Robert W.8 December 2013
The first Fast and Furious movie I stumbled into by accident was Tokyo Drift and much to my surprise I loved it. So now because I have heard so much about how great the latest instalment was I have been going back and watching them all. The first film certainly has a strong appeal to it. Car movies are not necessarily my thing, I don't know a lick about cars except how to drive (and my wife would say even that is questionable.) Still the original film in this series also is one of the only ones I have seen outside of Tokyo Drift that is still truly about fast cars and racing. The series eventually evolves into more of a heist/criminal underworld sort of spin but this is truly about the cars. Right off the bat you're dropped into the action and there is some truly excellent action scenes. The characters are not brilliant but they are well defined and interesting despite being very predictable and stereotypical. One thing the Fast Furious series forces down your throats is the idea that this group is a "family" and will do anything for each other. They start this concept in this movie and then repeat it over and over and over again. A smarter series would let you feel that devotion and friendship with character development. But it is what it is, a simple action flick that entertains.

This cast has made their bread and butter with this series. Vin Diesel is a star from this series and a few other roles but mostly this. He fits into it like a round peg into a round hole. He is a good anti-hero and his rough tough as nails charisma works in the movie. Paul Walker also made his name in this series. He is the yin to Diesel's yang. He is softer spoken, the red blooded all American type who is undercover within this gang and becomes one of the family. Walker is a little stiff in his performance and he certainly isn't flexing any major acting muscles but he is a necessity to the story and his chemistry with Diesel works very well. Jordana Brewster is Diesel's sister and Walker's love interest and she does decently. Her character gets very little development but she has a purpose and serves it well. Her chemistry with Walker is solid and their romance is definitely worthwhile. Michelle Rodriguez is Diesel's love interest and I think they actually have great chemistry, very hot on screen but she is very underused in this movie. I was surprised she got such a name from being in this because she is definitely a supporting character and way in the background most of the time. Rick Yune is decent but completely underused and under developed as the "villain" o sorts. He could have been much better but the character is too weak. Chad Linberg does a terrific job in a very small role and gives one of the stronger performances especially in a supporting role.

The film relies entirely on its stunts, fast cars and action scenes. The cast and performances are adequate at best but thanks to a constant stream of adrenaline it ends up being very entertaining. Rob Cohen has a history as a director of relying on adrenaline to make his films. He might be one of the most shallow directors in the way that his movies have very, very little depth. These films, especially this one, is the definition of mindless entertainment. You have to turn off your brain and sit back and enjoy the spectacle. I'm not in any way saying there is anything wrong with that because I was thoroughly entertained. I don't quite understand the massive following this series has but this time I was pleased with the film so what can I say. Be ready to be entertained but not overly impressed. 8/10
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Awesome movie.
kristinestrada29 June 2002
This movie was totally awesome! I loved it and I can't wait for the sequel. Vin Diesel and Paul Walker are two of my favorite actors and Ja Rule is my favorite rapper. Jordana and Michelle totally kicked butt in this movie. They proved chicks rule.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?