The Dead Hate the Living! (Video 2000) Poster

Everyone tries hard, but tough.
capkronos14 February 2002
I liked SCREAM as much as the next guy, but it's all but ruined horror films from 1996 and beyond. It's a shame to see it rub off on so many young horror filmmakers and an even bigger shame that they allow an overabundance of film references and endless blabber about various horror films to take the place of a plot and REAL dialogue. It's really a lazy way to construct a movie and really just a way to demonstrate the filmmakers know their s**t. Who really cares? And if they DO watch and love the horror films of Romero and Fulci, they'd know that nothing is worth sacrificing atmosphere, scares and a true sense of humor over. This movie is also derivative in its style- it is well photographed and richly colored in different shades, but even THAT aspect is just copycatting Dario Argento.

Everyone has already summed up the confusing "plot," of this Full Moon feature, so I won't waste time on it, just to say that THE DEAD HATE THE LIVING is made up of so many different elements from so many other zombie/horror movies that its OWN identity becomes lost in the shuffle and it doesn't quite make it as a comedy, a parody OR a horror film. However, I think some of the cast members (Jamie Donahue, Brett Beardslee..) have the potential to make an impression in the horror genre given the right opportunities.

Score: 3 out of 10.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The living hate this movie
jimbo1516 December 2001
I write this review with serious doubts that anyone will have kept reading through all the 50-odd previous comments to get here. There is, however, the problem that this movie is getting some seriously mixed reviews here. In order to do my part, I cast my vote for "It Sucked!" and hope I can save someone the depression that follows renting a movie with glowing quotes on the box, only to wonder if those quotes weren't from the people who actually made the film.

I'll give it this; it's an educated film. Made for horror fans, by horror fans (who have a shoestring budget and no sense of continuity). Throughout the movie you'll see various references to influential directors (I saw the "Stab" poster, and as far as I know "Nails" cigarettes don't exist outside Kevin Smith movies) and various homages to previous zombie movies (like, all of them). This is, unfortunately, one of it's downfalls because much of the movie is extremely predictable. Also, the director tries to run with what works in the genre (anxiety, extra gore, handy power tools {Where the hell did that chainsaw even come from?}), but it is often executed poorly, regardless of budget. I didn't expect Citizen Kane here, but I also didn't expect a home movie made in a weekend.

For horror fans who think they can look past the directorial mishaps, think again. The zombie volume is next to nothing (2 henchmen zombies and a couple dozen shady figures in cobwebs), the special effects just remind you how crappy the film is (if someone is getting electrocuted, sparks will do nicely, we don't need this crappy cgi fireworks display that looks like a screen saver), and the death scenes are mostly tame (1. character vanishes in mist, throw bucket of blood from off camera. 2. Character has head removed, off screen. Carry crappy fake head back into scene. etc.). The irony here is that the characters in the movie were in the process of filming their own horror movie which actually looked better than the one they got caught up in.

So why did I give it a 3/10 and not a 1/10? Well hell, I can't make a movie. The effort alone is always worth something, no matter what the outcome.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More of a bad trend.
blackxmas2 June 2001
I'm so tired of supposedly clever, overly self-conscious horror films. I know there are generational differences and a lot of people find this type of thing humorous and hip. In the early 90's, there was a film called "There's Nothing Out There" which was about a slimy green monster from outer space killing vacationing teens at a house in the woods over Spring Break. There was a horror movie nut who bothered everybody by making references to other horror films. At the time, that seemed funny and the movie itself is a ragged, messy charmer. I believe this is the film Kevin Williamson used to help him along in writing the script for "Scream", which while I did enjoy it, has hurt the horror genre through it's lazy deconstruction of modern horror. "The Dead Hate The Living" is a bandwagon film that only goes to show that even with a larger than usual budget and good intentions (but obviously pandering to the "Scream" demographic), a horror movie you cannot make.

I do have a theory that maybe people who like horror a little too much and are too eager to please cannot make a decent, serious horror picture. I do have a problem with people who like references to Warbeck and Campbell and Fulci. Do you like being patronized? I don't think you do. Why do you make special concessions for filmmakers who obviously take the easy way out by making you feel superior because you can pick up on what are basically pop-culture references? All the horror films of the past we champion have none of these obvious references. Are we so devoid of creativity or original thought (or filmmaking prowess) that we cannot make(or get to see) a good horror film anymore? I think they got us in a box and we can't get out.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A surprisingly good horror flick!
Slasher-1021 February 2000
This is a surprisingly good horror flick which can be sort of viewed as an updated version of the Evil Dead. While the film doesn't really hold a candle to the Evil Dead it's a fairly good time. The Dead Hate the Living does have many flaws such as cheap visual effects, a not so threatening Rob Zombie - like clone villain, and the background plot of the film isn't completely clear, but remember this is a low budget horror film. An attractive cast, decent acting, and unendless references towards various horror films and celebrities keep the momentum going. It's quite clear that the film makers are huge horror buffs (The end is an obvious ode to Fulci's The Beyond) and any serious horror guru should at least appreciate the film for that.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
you say Homage, I say Rip-off, let's call the whole thing off
movieman_kev18 October 2005
A group of young filmmakers break into an old abandoned hospital to shoot a film and inadvertently open a portal that unleashes zombies on the hapless cast and crew in this horror-comedy. Mixing horror with comedy is a VERY tricky thing. The ones that work do so amazingly well (Dead Alive, Return of the Living Dead, Re-animator, bad taste, etc...). The movies that don't work are usually total ass.This self-referential name-dropping, scene stealing film is part of the latter and ranks down there with "Dead Heat" as far as what NOT to do to succeed. Horrible acting, music, lame jokes, stealing scenes outright from far better films, dime-store special effects, and an unengaging, unoriginal story all add up to a putrid stench-filled film.

My Grade: D-

DVD Extras: Commentary by Writer/Director Dave Parker, and actors Eric Clawson, Matt Stephens, Brett Beardslee, & Jamie Donahue; photo gallery; production art; a 20 minute behind the scenes featurette; Music video; a ad for the puppet master toys; and theatrical trailer

Gripes: If you have the commentary turned on and then go to the extras NONE of them will play sound. word of warning
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
and the Living hate this movie..
Rob_Taylor25 October 2004
Ewww! What a hideous mess of a film. I understand the movie was deliberately made to be bad and littered with scenes and references from horror movies, but come on! When the best line of dialogue in a film is "Hmmm. What would Bruce Campbell do?" you know its time to leave. However, luckily for you, I was paralysed with disbelief and unable to leave before it was done.

The film is just awful on so many levels. Crap acting, crap story, crap dialogue, crap make-up and crap errmm crap. The main bad guy, who resembles Rasputin, is found inside some techno-gizmo that opens a gateway to.....aaaaargh! Good God! Why am I even trying to explain this? Explanation would imply that a lot of thought went into this production, which it clearly did not.

See, the thing about truly good, bad movies, is that they don't usually know what they are. Someone made them with the thought that the film would be really good and it turned out so bad that it was just a priceless gem waiting to be watched. But with this atrocity, they set out to make a "so-bad-its-good" movie. And it just fails. Fails so awfully that it just makes you cringe to watch it.

In fact, nothing remotely like action occurs for 45 minutes. Instead we're treated to what I'll very generously label "character development". A series of scenes between the different characters that only serves to make you hate them with a passion and to highlight their lack of acting talent.

Then we get to the techno-gizmo and Rasputin and the gateway to Hell etc. etc., yadda-yadda, boring! Seeing the characters killed one by one was not nearly as satisfying as I had hoped. In fact the ultimate horror (and, in fact, the only real horror this movie offered) was the ending which hinted at a sequel, for God's sake!

Rent another zombie movie rather than this one......any one, it doesn't matter. I guarantee it'll be ten times better than this dross.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low budget Horror filmmakers accidently re-animate a real corpse and open a dimension of other zombies.
MontiLee10 December 2002
Okay, so those of us that love Horror movies: we understand that even the best directors and screenwriters are influenced by the Greats - Fulci, Argento, Carpenter, Savini. What we also understand is that a great Horror movie is more than the sum of it's parts. It's more than in-jokes and snappy lines and `homages' to the above mentioned Greats.

These reasons are exactly why this movie doesn't work.

In a nutshell, this is a movie in a movie - because *that's* never been done before. A group of film-makers attempt to make a zombie movie in an abandoned hospital. Along the way they find an actual corpse, and because every film student knows that using an actual corpse as well as and breaking and entering make for excellent movies, they incorporate it into their film. Because there isn't a brain among them, and somehow the director convinces them that this is what dedicated filmmakers do, they accidentally re-animate the corpse and open a portal to a `zombie' dimension. People die, lots of blood and cranberry sauce gets spilled, and the movie ends without any real resolution.

Somehow, the director/screenwriter, Dave Parker, thought that horror fans would appreciate the absolute littering of obscure names of people in the industry and the constant barrage of scenes ripped off from other movies would make us happy. He got it into his head that we would enjoy watching re-hashed scenes and brain-numbing dialogue. Yes, Dave, I like watching characters doing stupid things because I, like you, have nothing better to do than sit in my mother's basements watching reel after reel of crappy horror movies before dashing off to our jobs at the local video store. Here's a thought, Dave - Horror fans want a movie that's scary, original - and dare I say it - fun! Not some asinine piece of crap jigged together from movies that we haven't seen in 20 years.

Then, because furthering torturing myself seemed like a good idea at the time, I watched the movie again with the commentary track, thinking that I would get some insight into why someone would waste perfectly good film on something like this, and instead I get what amounts to a circle jerk of the stars and the director patting each other on the back.

Pardon me for being harsh.

What I discovered, to my true horror, was that the director intentionally set out to make a horror movie that was bad, and assumed that his savvy audience would appreciate the cheesy lines and nods to the people he was ripping off. There were so many nods, his head was blur.

I generally like movies produced by Full Moon Pictures. After all, they gave us such tongue in cheek gems as PUPPET MASTER, DOLLMAN VERSES DEMONIC TOYS, the beautifully haunting MERIDAN, and my all-time favorite, PIT AND THE PENDULUM, starring Lance Henrikson. There is a difference between an original movie that's corny and fun and a movie that can't distinguish between `homage' and pure cat yak.

Watching this movie is the equivalent to digging out your own eyes with a dirty spoon.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gory zombie fun for the whole family!
mizziah7416 February 2000
Director Dave Parker makes a credible film debut with THE DEAD HATE THE LIVING - the latest horror offering from Full Moon Entertainment. While most of Full Moon's recent releases have been tragic misfires (the awful SHRIEKER, TALISMAN & BLOODSTORM: SUBSPECIES 4 come to mind), Dave Parker and crew actually made an attempt to create a quality film that stands out as the best Full Moon release in years!

A ragtag group of low-budget filmmakers are holed up in an abandoned hospital to make the ultimate zombie film. As they begin to explore deeper inside the building, they stumble across an actual corpse and decide to use it in the film. When they accidently revive it, the lines of reality begin to blur as the group suddenly find themselves trapped inside the building with an ever-growing number of the undead.

THE DEAD HATE THE LIVING is low-budget, but Parker obviously tried to get as much mileage as he could with what he had.

Even though the film isn't as graphic as past entries in the zombie subgenre (like the Lucio Fulci flicks of the late 70's/early 80's, from which this film drew some influence), there's still plenty of effective bloodletting and well-crafted zombie make-ups to satisfy horror fans. The film also benefits from a great location, a decently-written script and one of the best ensemble casts ever to grace a Full Moon opus.

However, the film's not without its shortcomings. Fans of zombie flicks may be disappointed with the relatively small number of zombies in this film (I assume due to budgetary restraints). The film generally (and wisely) avoids computer-generated effects, but it occasionally uses them...and they're among the worst I've ever seen. I'm not kidding. They completely destroy the mood and effectiveness of the scenes they're used in. Fortunately, they're sparsely used, so they don't ruin the film completely.

Overall, I was impressed with this one. The film stands out with Full Moon's DARK ANGEL - THE ASCENT and CASTLE FREAK as examples of quality genre filmmaking. I just hope Full Moon doesn't screw things up by turning this into a crappy series!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The lack of originality spoils the fun
The_Void11 September 2005
I'm a big fan of zombie movies, but this low budget fan-made stuff doesn't tend to appeal much. It's not that I don't enjoy the splatter, it's that recycled ideas can only go so far before you're completely watching someone else's film; albeit regurgitated. The Dead Hate the Living isn't a complete dead loss, and it's easy to see what the filmmakers were trying to achieve - but it suffers from the common problem with films like this, in that it doesn't have enough ideas in it's own right to be fun enough to completely keep the audience going with it. The film definitely has it's moments, though, such as the ending which brilliantly pays tribute to Lucio Fulci's "The Beyond". The constant name-dropping gets tired after a while. It's not bad at first, as you can see that the film is made by fans of this sort of stuff (people like me and, probably, you) but once the point has been made; it doesn't need to be made again. And again, and again. The plot is typically thin, and it follows a film crew making a no-budget zombie movie in an old abandoned hospital, which also happens to be a resting place for a doctor that wants the dead to take over the Earth.

This plot probably took about five minutes to think of, and the same again for script writing time; but funnily enough, the plot is what gives the film it's main point of originality in the way that the characters are making a film, which turns out to be about what's happening to them. What makes this idea fun is the way that the film almost spoofs itself with the way that we see the crew making their film, and then ending up getting butchered for real. While the plot isn't bad, the plotting will no doubt get on many people's nerves. The gore doesn't turn up at all in the first half of the movie, and even when it does it isn't thick or fast and the result isn't all that fun to watch. It's also ironic that you spend the first half of the film waiting for the zombie mayhem to start, and when it finally does; you realise that the first half of the movie was actually better! The Dead Hate the Living is a film that I would recommend to zombie enthusiasts only. There isn't enough about it to appeal to people who aren't zombie fans, and in that respect even zombie fans may be a little disappointed. A note to everyone; beware of the truly awful CGI towards the end!
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My God, What a Stupid Movie
Rusty-6120 March 2000
I am still wondering what I was thinking when I rented this. I read about it in Fango and remembered them talking about how their zombies didn't eat human flesh, they just wanted to rip humans up, due to the fact that "it costs too much" to show cannibalism. I guess the premise of some filmmakers making a zombie flick in an abandomed asylum/hospital/whatever it was only to find real zombies there seemed sort of neat. MAN was I wrong. I knew I had made a huge error in judgement by renting it when early on, there is a scene where a supposedly 'hot' blonde babe wearing all black or course, goes into a convenience store for supplies. The cashier leers at her while ringing it up, then says, "that'll be $36.97" and she simply takes the sack, glares at him, and walks off making some rude comment. He just stares at her. You know what they forgot to include in the scene? See, there's this tradition when you make a purchase where after you find out the total, you **actually give the salesperson some form of currency in exchange for your items**. And the guy doesn't remark in any way about her not paying (or make any remark at all), so you know it was just sheer sloppiness on the part of the filmmakers. It just got worse from there. The worst make-up effects I've seen in quite some time, and that's saying a lot. THe previous reviewer was right, the stupid "skull" makeup on some guy playing a zombie actually gets less realistic when he turns into a zombie for real. I would like to give them a little credit for using air bladders instead of CGI (yeah, like they could afford it), but they actually parts of a guy's skeleton stretching like it was made of rubber. Little hint when you use air bladders guys, try to restrict them to parts of the body that actually stretch. One particularly bad effect was fake teeth, supposed to be part of the skull showing through, that actually were visibly glued on top of his upper lip (there was a second set underneath). Please note that I am making the effect sound more realistic than it was. The acting was slightly above average, but with lines like, "I think we've slipped into some kind of, like, netherworld, man" what can ya do? The plot seemed like it was being made up as they went along. There were elements that just plain insulted the audience's intelligence, such as a zombie whose main feature was that he visibly lacked any semblance of a nose, sniffing someone to see if they were human. I could predict everything before it happened. Don't even get me started on the much better films that they ripped off blatantly (and DON'T try to tell me they were homages, I know the difference) such as Fright Night, Alien 4, Dusk Till Dawn, all the Evil Dead Movies...those are just off the top of my head, too. At one point, the Rob Zombie character says, "Make them die...slowly" and I guess we are supposed to be impressed that they tossed in a reference to the cannibal flick of the same name. As far as the ending, they seem to have just ran out of money and film as many threads were left hanging (I have a horrible feeling this is because they were planning a sequel). Oh, and the credits were lifted from se7en. God, I wish I'd read the reviews here before I wasted 3 bucks and 90 minutes of my life on this stupid peice of s***!
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Name-dropping can't save this one
hippiedj27 September 2001
I LOVE horror films, even horror spoofs....but when a film like The Dead Hate The Living doesn't offer any real scares or genuine laughs, I feel that the $7.99 I paid for the DVD was even too much.

I was originally looking forward to seeing this film. It even got a few "hip" critics and a vague, partial quote from Tom Savini to praise it (although just quoting Savini saying "Unique!..." on the cover doesn't really say much, it could be it's uniquely bland). Problem is, you get a few critics from Deep Red or Eon magazines praising it, some viewers will automatically say they like the film lest they feel they're not cool if they say they don't like it.

Name dropping....everyone keeps praising how this film is full of names like Lucio Fulci and Bruce Campbell and references oodles of other films. So what. That doesn't make it any more clever. While I'm not impressed by "teen" thrillers, at least Scream worked in its references because it was cleverly written. Another film that worked well in the name-dropping sense is Free Enterprise. It's as if by constantly mentioning Lucio Fulci and others, The Dead Hate The Living is basically distracting horror buffs so they'll go "OHHHHHHH, I know that one! Kewl!" and just maybe will keep them from realizing there's not much else going on. Even a film like The Return Of The Living Dead tried to cover its lack of genuine scares by throwing in an extra dose of disenchanted youth and full frontal nudity. Not much of that in this film really, but they did manage to throw in the F-word enough to, um, I guess give it an edge?

In the DVD's audio commentary, it was said that they were concerned mentioning Marilyn Manson would date the film. Oh, and like making Dr. Eibon an exact replica of Rob Zombie DOESN'T date it? And the constant use of the word "dude" doesn't help much either. Still trying to figure out exactly which era Eibon is supposed to be from, since he looks straight out of the 1700s in some scenes and then seems to know a lot about technology. The obvious glued-on beard didn't help much either.

The dialogue,,,,oh geez. Things like the stoner cameraman taking a deep drag on a joint and saying "Rock and roll!" just made me groan instead of laugh. The lead actor seems to remind you of a more MTV groomed version of Tim Daly (of TV's "Wings") and his best pal gets the weakest lines throughout the story--that whole bit about what's outside..."DEATH........" is rather weak. I know director Dave Parker was working on a very very low budget, but those makeup effects and face wounds were so unconvincing. In the audio commentary they constantly pat themselves on the back about how GREAT it all looks. In one scene where the few surviving characters were confronted by zombies on a cemetery set and a fight ensues--yes a fight rather than a struggle--wide shots reveal that there aren't as many people there as you thought and not as much action is happening either.

I have plenty of punk and thrash music in my collection, but those songs by Penis Flytrap ("friends of mine," says director Parker) were embarrassing. That title song, whether it was meant as being silly or serious, comes off as contrived cookie-cutter stuff in its music and lyrics ("The dead hate the living they wanna hate the living tonight....." EEEEK!) Anyone seriously wanting to mosh to that needs to take a closer look at themselves. For some reason being cool these days means liking bands with "you-can-come-up-with-a-better-name-than-that" names (Saliva, Korn, Limp Biskit....yawn) and talking about Japanese anime as if it were a revelation. Kids, MTV doesn't really have all the answers...learn the meaning of the word INDIVIDUALISM.

One of the "positive" critical quotes on the cover was how the movie was an nightmare on the level of Argento... Well, it was Argento-like basically in the lighting scheme, but to say it resembles the work of Dario Argento is going way too far. Yes, the film has interesting lighting and some energy, but when everything else comes off as cheese it left me disheartened by how the film kept going and getting less and less interesting.

I was SO looking forward to this film, and was left disappointed and annoyed. The Dead Hate The Living was obviously pandering to a crowd that is easily riled up by that moment's music trend, pot references and "Dude!!!!!" I wasn't scared by its intended scares, and didn't laugh at the jokes. Killer Klowns From Outer Space managed to pull off thrills and giggles well, and was CLEVER. That's an example of how to do a not-so-serious horror film right.

The only thing the guys behind this film seemed the proudest of is that they found an actual dead cat to use in one scene. Awesome. Not.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's that Italian-sounding squeaking? It's Lucio Fulci! Rolling over in his grave!
nunculus5 March 2001
The DVD of this microbudget Full Moon schlockorama is recommended for the audio commentary by writer-director-visionary Dave Parker. If you were sitting on the

fence in regard to the Writers Guild's current contention of the

directorial "possessory credit," this commentary should put you on

their side. Parker, a Fangoria dweeb who cobbled together a

SCREAM/KNOW WHAT YOU DID/URBAN LEGENDS-type teen-scream programmer with 101 references to horror-geek

staples, talks about the making of this dripping tripe as if he were

Max Ophuls sighing over the tracking shots in LOLA MONTES, or

Luchino Visconti describing the ballroom scene in THE LEOPARD.

If you have ever heard Messrs. Tarantino or P.T. Anderson puffing

up their chests about their work, you may have rolled your eyes;

well, stop rolling and listen to this guy. The best part is when his

actors--who pointedly have not a kind word to say about Parker's

self-proclaimed mastery of the medium--get fed up with his

self-aggrandizement and chime in: "Gee, Dave! You sound like

you're trying to convince YOURSELF!" Is there anything more

embarrassing, more Pupkinesque, than hearing a director say, "I

think we did a really good job with this part." To hear Parker's next

audio commentary, please pull up to the In N Out Burger on

Sunset and Highland and wait for these words: May I take your

order?
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cleansing of the eyes with lye might be preferable.
leagueofstruggle5 February 2004
The Dead Hate the Living is a zombie movie. One would think the formula for zombie movies would be rather simple. Walking dead, scared individuals, head shots ensue as the dead lumber after the scared protagonists. Instead we get a meandering film that is likely to bore an individual to death. The plot is straightforward enough dumb, young, filmakers in abandoned hospital open one of the Gates to Hell mentioned in Fulci's The Beyond aka Seven Doors of Death. A couple of zombies come out of said gate and mediocre mayhem begins. A lame film that stumbles around not unlike a walking corpse and never really finds its feet.
Warning!!! Do Not See This Film
murphy-381 July 2001
Oh my!!! What a terrible movie. I'm a fan of "B" films but give me a break. The director/writer does not have a clue on how to tell a story. This movie is very slow, the editing is all over the place, and the dialogue stinks. Director/writer "Dave Parker" thinks he's clever, instead he just insulting to his audience. He tries to pay homage to Fulci, Argento, Carpenter, & Bava but fails in doing so. In addition, the commentary track on the DVD is shameful. I have never heard such an arrogant selfish person in my life. I would not be surprise if any of the good reviews on this service came from the director himself.

Hollywood hear my cry!! Don't let this boy direct, write, act, or edit a film again.

Do yourself a favor and give your money to charity instead.
The Living Hate this Dead Awful Tripe
Contrarian25 April 2000
I'm not going to waste much time on a review. The film itself has already bled me of 90 minutes of my life. But out of common decency I do feel that I should warn others who may be thinking of renting this out... just put it back on the shelf and walk away. Intending to pay homage to classic horror films it doesn't even manage to parody them. Boring, sub-amateur rubbish.
GARBAGE........
vallely0020 May 2000
I just finished watching it,and all I can say is that this film is "hurtin for certain"!!!This film is so corny, it makes "Raiders of the Living Dead" look like a brilliant,action-packed cinema innovation.My favorite part was after the film,when they showed "the making of".The loser Director and no talent cast sit around talking about how different this film is then all the other films that are out there.They discuss the original approach they took when writing this!!!!!!!!This film contributes nothing new,nothing impressive,and has no business asking $4.00 to be watched.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Dead Hate The Living-as well as this movie
lovecraft23121 December 2008
A band of would be filmmakers go to an abandoned hospital, and find a real dead body-which they use for the movie. It ends up opening a portal to hell-and unleashing some zombies.

I make no apologies whatsoever when I say that I like the movie "Scream." Sure, I may lose cred to some horror nerds, but I answer only to myself, thank you. I don't like though, what came after "Scream": A series of annoying, self aware horror movies that thought they were clever, but weren't. Case in point: "The Dead Hate The Living", released by the once interesting Full Moon Studios, is proof that a love for zombie movies does not make a good zombie movie.

The movie is full of references to other, better horror movies: "Return of the Living Dead", "The Beyond", and "Cannibal Ferox" to name a few-and while it's heart seems to be in the right place, it all comes off as fanboyish nonsense, which is essentially what it is. Not only that, it's bad fanboyish nonsense. The acting is non-existence, the references to Bruce Campbell and Fangoria are annoying, the soundtrack-filled with bad horror punk, psychobilly, and horrorcore rap-is grating, and the mugging for the camera hurts as well. To be fair, the zombie and gore FX are decent, but they aren't enough to save this dreck from being any good.

Writer/Director David Parker would go on to write the notoriously bad House of the Dead (no, he's not happy with the way it turned out-can't say I blame him), and was originally attached to direct a Michael vs. Pinhead movie, though that movie never came to pass thank God. He also acted in the movie Free Enterprise, which is actually a pretty damn good comedy. Amazingly, when "Dead Hate The Living!" came out, some were praising Parker as one of horror's next big things, which shows how bad the shape of the genre was in at the time. After HOTD, his career never took off or fully recovered.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
utter crap, even for a B-movie
speleorat200322 January 2004
I picked this movie up out of a bargain bin at the local video store for a rather ridiculously low sum. Maybe it was the Tom Savini ambiguously worded recommendation on the front cover that influenced the purchase. I thought, well, it IS cheap..... how bad can it be? Much as I hate to admit it, I still felt cheated. A good basic premise, the movie within the movie angle. And one that is totally wasted. So many others have weighed in with their opinions, and have dissected the movie quite adequately, so I don't feel the need to reiterate what they have already said so very well. But what I will say is this. I understand that the movie was made to be intentionally bad. I understood most all of the homage references to all the old masters of the horror genre. I understood all that. But when you decide to go down that road with a movie, (making a movie to be enjoyed as camp, that is) it kinda helps if the movie is at least a little bit fun here and there on SOME level. But when the movie lets it all ride on that premise, it would be nice if there was SOMETHING you could hang your hat on. But there is nothing here to redeem it, really. One good line, ( I DID like the line about the director "....if he plays his cards right, a small but obsessive group of people will someday know who he is.") and one mildly amusing scene (In the store....why the purchase of a box of condoms AND a tube of hemorroidal ointment?). And that's just about it. It's not enough. Not by half. It has got to be really discouraging deliberately setting your sights THAT low, and STILL managing to shoot your self in the foot. And if it's not, well, it damned well should be.

* 1/2 stars out of ten
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Zombie movie since Dellamorte Dellamore!!!
tm3jetstorm3 June 2000
One thing that has been missing from horror for years is a good Zombie movie. Dellamorte Dellamore was the last great Zombie movie to come out and since then no new Zombie films have come out that were anygood at all. But now the Dead Hate The Living has given us hope for the Zombie genre. Dont get me wrong, Dellamorte Dellamore is still a better movie, but this movie is a breath of fresh air for Zombie fans who have craved for a new good zombie movie for years.

Dave Parker makes both his writing and directorial debut with what is a surprisingly good movie. His style is an amateurish mixture of some of the greatest horror directors of our time as well as his own. The zombies in this movie are realy something, especialy Maggot. The Zombies are some of hte most original I've seen since Return Of The Living Dead. Maggots cool but Tarmans still the best.

The F/X is a mix bag. With there limited budget they were able to come up with some great effects but unfortunatly on some scenes they had to cut corners due to the budget restraints. The CGI effects were the only real bad thing about this movie. The fire towards the end is very laughable and I think Dave Parker should have re-written the script so that they could have skipped using fire and done the scene in a more realistic style.

The acting is pretty much what you would expect from a low budget movie but Parker made the wise decision of giving the bigger parts to the better actors and the throw away parts to the others. Over all the acting is good.

It takes a page out of scream by using a lot of references to other horror movies but unlike scream it doesnt go for only the more mainstream horror movies(exorcist,Friday the 13th, Nightmare on elm street) but has references that mostly hardcore horror fans will know(I love the "Fulci Lives" bumper sticker part).

This isnt the next "Dawn of the Dead" or "Zombie" but it's still pretty darn good.

Check it out.

My score: 8 out of 10
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
God do people hate this movie! i actually liked it for it being a schlocky B-Movie.
badgrrlkane30 March 2007
I mean TDHTL is not by no means a great horror film.It is what it is.A low-grade B-movie but it has it's moments of being a cool horror film even w/h it's name-dropping. And it's thankfully a short film though i would like to seen a sequel to see what happens to the 2 main characters after they enter the land Of the Dead. i mean i 've seen way worse horror films, watch death tunnel & you'll think this one is a gem.Good directing from Dave Parker & i actually liked the storyline though the acting was a bit lame. Reminded me at times of low-grade 80's horror but all in all it's what i expected.I think these bad reviews are from people expecting B-horror to be good horror & films such as this one,Boo,nIGHT oF THE Demons etc are not really meant to be good.They appeal to a lovers of B- grade horror films. And w/h this being a horror comedy it's meant to be cheesy.For those who are trying to say it should've been serious well stick w/h more mainstream or actual scary HORROR FILMS.IDO WHEN I WANT TO SEE THAT TYPE OF MOVIE. But when you watch a B-movie you know is a horror comedy don't compare Dead Alive,Evil dead & all the classics as that's not what these movies are even trying to become. I liked this & would recommend it to true fans of silly Horror comedy.And if you hated this stay away from the Sleepaway Camp trilogy.** out of *****
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Total cheese - it's not that bad if you keep this in mind.
goomage17 July 2003
You have to remember that we are dealing with low budget cinema here, folks. As much as it disheartens me to see this B movie industry try to mime what American horror cinema has become (i.e. catering to the lowest common denominator by throwing in WB teenies in "funny yet spooky" situations) this ripe piece of cheese has its moments. And oddly enough, I really enjoyed some of the characters. Up until the end, that is, which is horrible!!!

*SPOILER WARNING*

I mean - come on... I laughed laughed my ASS off at some of the "goofs" in the film. Like when Topaz and the director crawl out of the ventilation shaft and into the cold storage and the "dead" guys eye twitches when the lighter Topaz is holding gets close to his face. Or in the same scene when the zombie chick under the sheet on the gurney is can't minimalize her breathing so you can see her chest rising and the sheet moving. Or when they meet "Rob Zombie" in the dressing room / graveyard set and one zombie manages to rip out of the ground a bit too hastily and you catch a glimpse of the set underneath. Waitaminute, what are zombies doing buried in a mock graveyard anyway??? Oh yeah - and what can be said about the lame CGI fire?

OK, so it's not a great movie...ok, it was a bad movie. I guess I was expecting this, so this wasn't a major disappointment for me. I have no expectations from American cinema (I have moved on to Jap horror and let me tell you - this is where it is at, folks!) - so I cannot be let down. But I can still have fun watching.

All in all I give it a 5 / 10.
Very Poor Film -- Couldn't hold my interest
ApolloBoy10913 November 2000
Face it, Horror fans can't be tricked anymore. There is nothing new here, nothing witty, no clever nod to other films. (and uh...sorry but a few references to named actors Dick Miller, Bruce Campbell are not good enough -- it's like name dropping) Writer/Director Dave Parker will probably never work again and hopefully we'll never see any of the cast who were just god awful --- vapid, vauge performances that tripped the line ad lib. Stagey camera work and 45 minutes of Blah blah blah --- exposition about making their film -- proves Parker has no idea how to pace a movie or get an audience in the first 10 minutes. Nor does he plant his story seeds well. Though I liked the time portal idea, it was so poorly constructed, I assumed Parker thought very little of it -- too bad because that might have made for an interesting direction for the film to go in. Instead we are given a tacked-on ending that makes no bloody sense. Don't waste your time on this flop!..........
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a horrible, amateurish movie!
krachtm12 January 2007
I love movies. I love horror movies. I love horror movies about zombies. But I did not love this movie. No. I hate horror movies about zombies that try to be witty beyond their limits, and this movie shot for the stars and didn't even make it to the launching pad. This movie promises you gore, zombies, and competent film-making. You will find minor amounts of gore here, yes; and, you will find a couple zombies. The make-up and effects, however, are so fake, it's actually distracting, and it comes across as having been done by some over-eager high school kids who have no professional training. It may very well have been. The promised zombies were perhaps the biggest disappointment. I wasn't asking for much -- I know this movie was supposed to be low budget -- but what's the point of making a zombie movie with just two or three zombies? You might as well just make them escaped lunatics. As far as competent film-making: ugh. The plot was so throw-away, it seemed like a reject from Scream 5 or Scary Movie 8. In fact, I've have had dreams that were way more engrossing than this movie.

Will I ever watch this movie again? Yes, I will. I am aiming to educate my friends and loved ones on what it truly means to have seen "the worst movie ever". People are far too free with that phrase, and I want to make sure that they've suffered adequately before they use it. They think, "Oh, I saw that Manos movie on MST3K. That was the worst movie ever!" No. I don't care how many episodes of MST3K you watched. You have not *earned* the right to use that phrase until you have sat through every miserable frame (sober, and without the benefit of witty commentary) of The Howling II: Your Sister Is A Werewolf or Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol. And, now, to this long list of movies that inspire such pain and loathing, I must also add TDHTL.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very bad low-budget zombie disaster
adkin20310 March 2000
"The one thing I hope people get out of it is scared." says actor Brett Beardslee (aka Paul) in 'The Making Of' part of the video. I'm very sorry, but you have failed miserably. I think it is safe to say that this film will never succeed in scaring anyone. How can anyone that views this movie be scared when none of the actors seem the least bit afraid throughout the entire film? They remain surprisingly calm and witty, considering their situation.

It is sad that a genuinely frightful looking character like 'Gaunt' was wasted on this film.

This movie is another shining example of how Comedy and 'B' movie Cheese is mistaken for Horror.

Avoid like the clap.
Children Shouldn't Steal From Other People's Dead Movies
JoeyBro7 March 2000
Interesting that one reviewer's "homage" is another reviewer's "rip-off," which is precisely what "The Dead Hate the Living" is. This movie is nothing more than a collection of badly filmed scenes that were stolen from any number of sci-fi/horror flicks: The X-Files, Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, James Whale's Frankenstein (just take a peek at that set graveyard), and probably a dozen others that I haven't seen. While there are definitely production values (courtesy Charles Band), the script is pathetic, the acting is strictly "community theater," and there's not a shred of originality to be found. Don't waste your time.