Halloween: Resurrection (2002) Poster

Loud, crass, pointless - an insult to the viewer
CJL26 October 2002
What can I say? If I've seen a film worse than this, it certainly doesn't spring to mind right now. I managed to get to the first screening in the local area and, even though the audience was fairly small, I still counted eleven people who walked out at various points in the movie and never came back. Now either Michael Myers slashed them up on their way to the lavatories or, like me, they were bored stiff by this absolute CLUNKER of a flick.

The plot, or what little semblance there is of one, is simple yet completely ludicrous. An organisation called Dangertainment, headed by the entrepreneurial Freddie Harris (Busta Rhymes), gets together a group of six students (!) to spend the night in serial killer Michael Myers' childhood home, in the hope that they will "find clues" as to what drove Myers to kill and kill again. Quite why, 25 years on from the murders, they think they will achieve anything by sending a group of teenagers into a house that, in the real world, would probably have long been demolished, is beyond me. Surely it is the job of police psychologists to dissect the minds of serial killers anyway? The film conveniently forgets the previous five sequels (with the exception of "H20"; this gets an irrelevant reference in the gratuitous opening scenes which serve merely as an excuse to waste Jamie Lee Curtis' talents in some customary 'running around' antics) and throws us almost immediately into the environment of the house, where each of the six kids are given a little handy-cam to strap to their heads and told to go searching for clues... You with me so far? Well, that's pretty much all there is to it. Needless to say, Myers himself shows up at the house about 10 minutes into the movie (how? why?) and decides he wants to kill everybody one by one, in the style we've now become accustomed to.

This paper-thin tale is told so badly, it's almost hard to believe what you're seeing on screen and that anyone was dumb enough to spend time and money filming it. I suppose you could almost see it like a series of noisy soundbites strung together randomly. It keeps things simplistic to the point of being nonsensical, presumably to avoid confusing its target audience of dribbling inbreds. I think I could've written a better, more entertaining and reasonable script myself on the back of a beermat. Nothing is ever explained or justified, no matter how implausible and ridiculous things get, and yet, bogglingly, the film still seems to take itself fairly seriously. It tries desperately to shock with a series of boring but bloody knife murders (nothing we haven't seen ad nauseam in any of the previous films) and innumerable 'false' scares with flashlights and toys falling out of cupboards. It's all so by-the-books and done-to-death that you'd have to have never seen a single horror film in your life to find it even remotely tense or scary.

I think what bugs me the most about the film is just how terribly made it is. Even forgetting the GAPING plot holes, there are loads of obvious continuity errors and a sad, desperate style of direction that seems to drag every scene to the point of agony in a desperate attempt to pad out the already-short running time of the film. The cast do nothing to help things - all the characters are cardboard stereotypes and the ugly, plastic teens seem to be having a battle to see who can be the most skin-crawlingly irritating. I think it ends up as a tie between Katee Sachoff's hyperactive, squeaky airhead and Bianca Kajlich's jitterbug 'heroine', who spends the entire movie simpering and screaming loudly every time someone drops a pin. Oh, for the record, Busta Rhymes is absolutely ATROCIOUS in this. His entire purpose in this movie seems to be to deliver the worst examples of wisecrack-by-numbers dialogue I've ever heard (ie: "Trick or treat, motherf**ker?") and he plays his role as a cross between Eddie Murphy and Vin Diesel, but without the charm or charisma of either.

I'd like to say John Carpenter would be ASHAMED to see such a horrible mess made out of his characters, but when you consider the maestro himself is making films almost as bad as this these days, he probably couldn't give a toss so long as the money keeps rolling in. I think this fact in itself proves just how much horror movies have changed since the first "Halloween" was made and, to its credit, "Halloween Resurrection" would be a perfect example of an "of its time" product you could stick in an 'early 21st century' time capsule for future generations to balk at. It is every bit as throwaway and pointless as the culture that spawned it. It is loud, crass and in-your-face constantly, despite having absolutely nothing to say when it gets there - it's like the movie equivalent of an annoying little brat screaming at you, desperate for attention. "Look at me! Look at me! I'm being noisy and irritating!"... I would highly advise, for your sanity's sake, that you don't look since, like that annoying child, you'll only encourage it and I, for one, don't think I could cope with another sequel this bad... This film is utter garbage and I fail to think of a single way in which they could've made it any worse. A resounding 0 out of 10.
88 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Shame on you Rick Rosenthal!!!
Kristine28 November 2003
What the heck was this? Seriously, Halloween H20 was a perfect ending to the Halloween franchise and so help me God if this was their "final sequel" this was the worst way to end it. I remember seeing this in the theater and afterwards just everyone saying how much they hated this movie. First off they have Jamie Lee Curtis all crazed looking and drugged up and then… they kill her off! Oh, my, God! How could they?! Shame on these stupid people, this is a pathetic attempt of the MTV generation trying to add technology to the Halloween series. What did the very first Halloween present to us? A killer who stalks babysitters and wanted to kill his family off, nothing else, that's it. Very simple, why do they try to crap up the story? How could you make a Halloween movie bad? Apparently this stupid director must have been drinking or doing some illegal substance because this was just a shamed attempt at giving us a few scares.

Beginning three years after the events of Halloween H20, Laurie Strode, has been confined to a psychiatric care facility. The Summer Glen paramedic located the body of Michael Myers in the dining hall of Laurie's school, Hillcrest Academy High School. When attempting to seemingly do away with the terror from her brother once and for all, she had killed an innocent man. Unable to deal with the crime and the fear of her brother, Lauire was later confined to a sanitarium. Myers had earlier attacked the paramedic and forcefully switched clothing and his mask. The paramedic was rendered a mute from a crushed larynx. On the night of October 31, 1998, Myers cleverly escaped once again. When Michael finally appears, Laurie lures him into a trap, but before she can kill him for good, he turns the tables on her. In a confrontation on the sanitarium's rooftop, she reaches over to pull off his mask to make certain it is actually her brother. He suddenly grabs her and pulls her over the edge with him, stabbing her deep in the back. She gives him a kiss on the lips of his mask, lastly telling him, "I'll see you in Hell." Michael releases the knife from his sister and she falls many stories below to her death. Myers finally accomplished killing his sister, a pursuit twenty-three years in the making. He then makes his way back home to Haddonfield, Illinois. One year later on Wednesday October 30th, six college students win a competition to appear on an Internet reality show in which they are to spend Halloween night in the childhood home of Michael Myers. Their mission is to find out what led him to kill. On the actual date of October 31, the investigation is done in a style reminiscent of the MTV reality show, Fear. On this night, through the entrepreneurial broadcast business Dangertainment, it is shot live on the internet. Of course who is going to be there to ruin it? You guessed it, Big Bird, Happy Halloween.

This is just a stupid sequel, Halloween: Resurrection makes the other sequels look like masterpieces. Halloween 2 started off terrific, we slumped just a little, nothing major, things picked up majorly with Halloween H20, so how in the heck did this movie get messed up? Because the director and writer were looking to relate to today's audience, which are a bunch of ignorant teens and this was just a waste of my time and it will be a waste of yours' as well, I promise you, you're not missing out on anything, don't watch this movie. Let's just forget about it and think that H20 was the way the Halloween franchise ended, oh, Michael, please don't ever do this again, either that or kill the director, or I will! Where's my butcher knife? Happy Halloween.

46 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
If This Is Merely Entertainment (Then Make It So!)
Carlo Houtkamp5 May 2003
"They don't make 'em like that anymore," friends of the horror genre often remark on their web sites in reference to killer films from the late 1970s and 1980s era. They are right.

It's not just that sentiments of nostalgia have turned those films into little treasures in our memories. It's because current horror films stink. Not all of them, but plenty or more anyway.

Ever since Dwight H. Little last captured the right Halloween spirit and atmosphere in 1988's Halloween 4, the series deteriorated into a ridiculous, messy and pathetic show. I don't care how many fans of the series curse part 3, it was a pleasant watch compared to what came after part 4. Halloween 5 was a complete prank and lacked any sense of storytelling (compliments to Danielle Harris, who managed to perform extremely well under the circumstances). Part 6, well, let's not waste any words on that one. H20 had its moments and decent acting by Jamie Lee Curtis, but a Southern California private school seemed like a poor replacement for Haddonfield. The producers dedicated it to Donald Pleasance, ignoring the fact that his last name was Pleasence (with an E) and had been spelled correctly on all earlier installments that involved his acting. So much for Moustapha Akkad's commitment to the project!

Halloween Resurrection had a nice opening scene. A 1960s home movie at the Myers house, with the sounds of Johnny Angel performed by Shelley Fabares. It was cut. Of course, the Akkads in their infinite wisdom must have thought, why bother young people with an old song from someone they have never even heard of! Let's keep the film simple (and let's take a popular hip hop artist as the lead actor).

But, thank God, Rick Rosenthal filmed one other decent scene. It involves Jamie Lee Curtis's character hospitalized in a mental institution. This actually is quite a nice scene, with the actress performing wonderfully. It provides a satisfactory and surprisingly original bridge between the events at the end of H20 and the current state of affairs in "Resurrection", with Laurie Strode at the end of her wits and a killer still on the loose.

And after this? We might as well have left. After the promising Jamie Lee Curtis opening scene there seemed no budget, and more important: no inspiration left to come up with something, anything. It's a bore. It's a drag. The prospect of a replica of the original Myers house showing up is a joke. We're allowed one glimpse, and even on that one occasion it is very unsatisfactory: a big car is parked in front and taking the view, as the camera briefly glances up from a low, moving position. It beats me why they even bothered rebuilding it. The interior scenes can be ignored in this sense: it may have been any old house that Busta Rhymes's character Freddie Harris decided to do his online reality show in. And about these characters: have they ever been this flat in ANY Halloween sequel? NO! The characters in Halloween 5 or 6 were drawn brilliantly compared to what is presented to us here! Okay I realize this is actually pretty much of an achievement. Credit to Larry Brand and Sean Hood. It's amazing. The unimpressive cast (I'm not counting Curtis) is highlighted by 'stars' Busta Rhymes (pop artist who is kindly given the chance to act) and Tyra Banks (model who is kindly given the chance to act). Let's suffice by saying that in this case the actors have been given the roles they deserve.

Enough said. Or... We often are told one should not apply the same criteria to a horror film as the ones that apply to drama or classics. But why on earth not? I admire more than one horror movie, but that does not mean I feel I should appreciate the crappy ones by the grace of the good ones. I can see when a film is made with no heart, no spirit and Resurrection is the key example of that. Furthermore, if these films -as we are told so often by people like Moustapha Akkad- are made for entertainment (read: cashing in) purposes only and not for quality acting, complex storytelling or great photography then why, why, why do they so vigorously renounce that one basic goal, the goal of being entertaining???
65 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
by far the worst Halloween film
Marcus Geebs24 March 2012
Whoever wrote this must really hate John Carpenter and all the Halloween fans why would someone like Busta Rhymes be in this film and why why one earth have him kung-fu fight Michael Myers. I fell bad for Jamie Lee for being in this film and had to actually die. Have Busta Rhymes die not Laurie Strode. My God if the next movie hadn't been a remake we might have ended up seeing Mr. T and Hulk Hogan Boxing a Wrestling Michael Myers. I am disgusted with Rick Rosenthal and still hate him for letting a rapper Kung-fu fight Michael Myers. Dimension Films Should be Ashamed of themselves for making this movie. Halloween movies are supposed to be good!!!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Whats next?...Halloween:The Resurrection H20
c_p_c24 February 2003
There are just some times when a good movie franchise is abused and milked for all it's worth. The first of the series is great and sets the mark ,the 2 occasionally 3 sequels that follow are mediocre and anything after that is just trying to make money of an audience that has no other place to spend their money. I, unfortuantely was a member of that audience, as I paid money to watch HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION, the 8th installment of the once classic HALLOWEEN franchise.

I don't even no where to start; bad cast, bad acting, boring death scenes (not to sound wierd, but why else do you go see a movie like this), need I go on.

If you noticed that this movie is mostly made up of celebrities, it is no mistake. This is all the movie has going for it, and yet it fails in that department. The biggest mistake a horror movie can make is when it spends most of its time setting up the big death scenes and then knocks off its characters one right after another. That is exactly what happens in RESSURECTION. Every character w/the exception of 2 die in a consecutive chain that takes up about 20 minutes of the movie and the other hour is spent trying to gather of what little plot exists.

The horror doesn't stop there. This HALLOWEEN installment doesn't have the style that made the first two so good. With the exception of a somewhat unexpected opening, the movie is poorly put together.

Clearly an attempt to make some fast cash off a dying series, HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION hopefully is the last time Micheal Myers takes the screen. Yet, I am sure there will find some way to bring back the masked killer. There always is a chance that the executives in charge of this franchise will make a good decision and hang up the white mask and throw away the knife. HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION rates as just a 2/10.
47 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Halloween 8 misses the mark big time
WILL KRUK11 January 2006
Halloween 8 Resurrection should really entitled Halloween 8 destruction of a franchise or how to kill a franchise in 90 minutes. Halloween 8 is an awful movie that is devoided of any orginality or redeeming qualties (Trya Banks is smoking hot, but is little more than an extra with a line or two). Halloween 8 spits on everything that previous movies have worked hard to preserve since John Carpenters genre inventing original, the worst Halloween 8 actually think's it has the goods.

H8 had an impressive budget (due to the healthy box office of the last film) but squanders it on actors that add nothing to the movie but prolong their own dismial carrers. Busta Rhymes actually proves a good leading man until becoming undone by his own ego, most of the other actors have tongue firmly pressed in their check and most phone it in. Jamie Lee Curtis deserves special mention as she almost displays hate for her iconic cult character and cant wait to put to the whole franchise in the past.

As a fan of the franchise the biggest problem I had was an arrogance to acknowledge previous movies in the series and tries to forge it's own path that leaves Michael Myers holding his dick in his hand. Halloween 8 Resurrection come across as a scream hybrid that wont satisfy casual fans or die hards and as the final reel fades out everyone will be thinking "That would never happen".
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHwfull.....
Vasco Cid12 November 2002
AAWWFFUULLLL doesn't even begin to describe it. I went in expecting something else. But in the Big Brother era, sooner or later there would come a movie about it.

Listing all thte things that bothered me would be too boring, but the main thing is the predicability. The movie's end is known beforehand halfway in the movie. You could guess thousands of things before they happened.

The casting is really, really, really bad. The only ones that emerge are Luke Kirby, Tyra Banks and the eternal Jamie Lee Curtis. The scary scenes aren't scary; the setting is ridiculous and the screenplay: tedious. The only scenes that had potential were Jamie Lee Curtis's cameo and the girls death chase in the basement, not for director's talent, but for John Carpenter's. For his truly fantastic and everlasting Halloween theme.

Keep out.
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
blah
generichorrorfreak2 October 2010
Halloween: Resurrection starts off on the wrong foot and it's all downhill from there. Sure they found a clever way to undo the closure of Halloween H2O and make it possible to bring Mike up to his old shenanigans, unfortunately that whole segment is hasty and the rest of the movie's garbage. The "what really happened" explanation is just a loophole for making a movie that's neither necessary nor any good, and so I present to you Halloween: Resurrection.

I'm not going to write any spoilers about what happens to Laurie, but I think anyone who loves the original Halloween and its characters will think what they did with her in this movie is crap and only put her in here for the sake of having Laurie in it.

The characters are plastic. Even by the end of the movie when you get to know all of them a little bit, you don't care enough about them to want to see them escape the wrath of Mike Myers. In fact, you'll probably look forward to their demise at his hands. That's how flat and/or despicable these characters are. Even the lead role doesn't have much personality. She's nice and smart and decent, just like Laurie was in fact, but somehow she doesn't have much personality. I don't think her character was developed enough, otherwise she could have made a good heroine. The rest of the characters are people you pretty much hope get killed off, especially the tech lady played by Tyra Banks and most of the kids that tour the haunted house. Obnoxious people, hastily made characters. And Busta Rhymes plays the typical black dude with a boisterous personality. Not a bad acting job, but what a typical cliché character.

The technology is another factor. Another case of fusing horror with the fancy gimmick of modern technology (or what was modern in 2002 anyways). Just because we have things like reality shows and phone-texting nowadays does not mean it will make a horror movie any scarier, or realistic, or better at all. Having people emailing and playing on their phones and all in the movie takes away from the good old-fashioned terror you get from something as simple as a lurking shadow or the gleam of a butcher knife.

There's a couple of notably cool things in the movie, like when Freddy dresses up like Mike Myers while Mike is there in the flesh and you see two Mikes walking one behind the other. Well that was more funny than anything. The scene with the bong was funny too. And the murder scenes are alright and in typical Mike Myers fashion, but otherwise Resurrection bombs as a horror film and leaves you yet again with no closure, except this time you wouldn't really want to see another sequel.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I'm just going to pretend this movie never existed
labemaster122 February 2007
Halloween is the best in the series. Halloween H20 is the 2nd best. Halloween 2 is the 3rd best. Halloween 4: the Return of Michael Myers is the 4th best. Halloween: the Curse of Michael Myers is the 4th worst. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch is the 3rd worst. Halloween 5 is the 2nd worst. And Halloween: Resurrection is the worst in the series. I don't know why this movie was even made. Michael Myers was decapitated at the end of Halloween H20. The acting was terrible. there wasn't one original death. And since Laurie Strode died at the beginning of this movie, there are none of the original characters remaining other than Michael Myers himself. And there are so many things that could've been better. 1. the title would've made more sense if Laurie had succeeded in killing Michael. Then he really would've resurrected for the rest of the film. 2. They should've kept the original opening with the home video of the Myers family before Michael killed Judith. 3. They should've gotten a better cast. Even Jamie Lee Curtis was bad in this one. This movie is just plain stupid. Anyway, I'll be reviewing the Friday the 13th movies next. A couple of them were actually dumber than this movie as hard as it is to believe.
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Gives a new dimension to the word "tiresome"
David Vanholsbeeck11 October 2002
ANOTHER slasher pick? Yes, it's the new Halloween, the 7th or 8th in the series, lost count. No 7th or 8th film in a series is any good, the 4th, 5th and 6th usually aren't neither, but that's ok. Actually, I had some hopes for this film, walking in the theater. The original Halloween was one of the best in the genre, with never-dying Michael Myers entering the big-screen in spectacular fashion. But the second in the series was already far beyond par, and the rest was pure formula (haven't seen any of em though). Then came H20: 20 YEARS LATER, which benefited again from Jamie Lee Curtis' presence. Not a good film, far from being a stand-out in the genre, but at least it had SCREAM-writer Kevin Williamson on the credits, and was actually pretty enjoyable too. So I thought: well, maybe this new Halloween will have some suspense too, maybe some surprises (I'm a sucker for surprises). But what I saw...well, I'm still speechless. This film was even worse than most stupid entries in this genre.

First of all, we get a stupid explanation for the fact that Michael is STILL alive (unbelievable if you saw the previous one). Then we get Jamie Lee Curtis in the mental hospital. What happens next, might show her attitude towards the series by now. The beginning has actually nothing to do with the rest of the film, it isn't even a good opening to this film, unlike the SCREAM-intros. Then we get to see the actual film, which is pretty much, like one of the characters puts it, Halloween meets the Osbournes, or Big Brother, or the German movie DAS EXPERIMENT, or whatever. You put the usual bunch of irritating high-school friends in one house, put some cameras on top and let Mike (umm...Michael) Myers do his thing. Is it thrilling? Nope, it just seems Myers is doing a routine slashing in here. There's no suspense at all, just people getting killed like you knew they would. Not hard to guess that the "smartest" will survive. Is it funny? Yeah, if you can laugh at lame dialogue and the aforementioned irritating characters. If that's your thing, fine, shows why all these dumb-headed high-school comedies nowadays are such a success. Oh, and it's so dumb-minded that you can't even stop shouting at the screen: "Oh, come on! As if..."

But what could you expect from a movie that was directed by the same man that directed Halloween II? It's so formula that you cannot only predict everything from the first til the last minute, but it's so bad that the last-minute surprise is even more irritating than usual. It's so obvious by now that, indeed, "Evil never dies" , that it's even boring to see these people trying to put M.M. to rest, without being ultimately successful. How long will they go on with this and what's the point of making another movie like this if nothing works out in the end. I'm sure Michael must be pretty tired by now. But maybe we get a Halloween: 60 years later, in x years time, where Michael is a geriatric patient, killing off his fellow patients. Maybe that would be a thriller! As far as this one is concerned: it's more of a thrill finding ways to stay awake while Michael is doing his thing than watching this bore. 1/10
42 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
This is terrible,Stay away from this film!!!
White_Thunder10 February 2006
Seen it on the pictures and i couldn't wait for it to end,thought id give it another go on DVD with my folks and i was yet again subjected to 86 minutes of pure trash,my parents fell asleep even before it ended! The acting is terrible,Busta rhymes is a joke,there is nothing and i mean nothing new about this entry.It seems the director didn't give a monkey's behind about this film,i would be embarrassed to have my name on the credits.Definitely the worst Halloween film by far!!! I'd rather watch paint dry,at least that would be more interesting...

Michael myers R.I.P (if only) some genius is going to bring out Halloween 9...
20 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Can I give this a 0?
ivc7-127 October 2005
Not only is this the worst movie of the series(as well as the most unnecessary), it's one of the worst I've ever seen(out of thousands). Why Jamie Lee Curtis ever agreed to do this cameo, I have no idea. The plot is absurd. The idea behind how Meyers is not dead after H2O is mind-numbingly stupid. And from there, it gets worse. A live broadcast from the Meyer house on Halloween night with the great actor, Busta Rhymes? Oh, lord, why did I keep watching. Further taking the viewer into the depths of idiocy we get to see secrets in the Meyers' house and lots of neat places for a serial killer to hide. I'm still stunned this movie was ever made, after a fitting end in H2O, but it proves Hollywood will do anything for money. This movie is so bad at least six of the Friday the 13th movies are better.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The Night He Shouldn't Have Come Home!
riot4kimber21 November 2002
Well, the strange thing is that this is part of an odd Halloween set of films the Jamie Lloyd series follows 1,2,4,5,6 and the Laurie Strode saga is 1,2,7,8..

They say in number 8 that Halloween 2 did happen. So Michael's hands as well as his body should be burned and scarred..... This movie contradicts it's self with many, many details.

The movie had no redeeming features. College students that you really didn't care for thrown into a MTV's Fear kind of setting that is the Myers House.

Tyra Banks by far was the worst actress in this film, she played an idiotic role and was no need for her in it. The whole Internet thing takes the confined spaces that the other films offered and puts it on display like a freakshow for all to see. The Halloween series is supposed to be dark, scary, and extremely shocking. This entry is boring, lackluster, and just plain dull.

*spoiler* And why did they have kill off Laurie Strode? She survived all of Michael's attacks, shouldn't she have been given a reprive?

This movie sucked tho, and that is thanks to Mostapha Akkad, in any interview he does, he jerks his thumb at the statue of Michael that is behind him and says 'As Long As This Guy Is Around, We'll make money.' Sadly, the production, and scripts suffer due to this. Akkad won't let Michael die...and then the films will become a joke.

Rick Rosenthal was ripping off his previous halloween 2 directing days. Michael appears out of the shadows, a character slipping in blood, and 'Dr. Mixer' a character out of H2.... *sigh* Rosenthal should stick with directing TV episodes, which he's done for the past 10+ years. Don't direct a bad movie.

John Carpenter or Kevin Williamson has to come back and write a decent script for this series! If you want to understand what really drove Michael to kill his sister, read the Halloween novel by 'Curtis Richards'. It is much, much better that any of the sequels and ranks up there with the first film.

I thought Halloween 6 was bad, 6 is actually one of the better films in the series compared to this. this is the worst in the series!!!!

If I gave this film any stars, I'd be kidding myself.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Crap in its purest form
Chris Smith16 June 2006
So, let's start with the story. It's simply an excuse for us to see Michael kill people. I mean, what was that all about? A cop guy having his larynx crushed and mistaken for Michael? I mean, he didn't even try to remove his mask or something. It sounded more of a joke rather than a serious story. Plus, how could they kill Laurie in the first 10 minutes? (which was the best part of the whole movie) Story rating - 0/3

Let's turn to the acting. Well, there isn't much to say. It's simply BAD! Busta was a complete joke. He was reading rather than acting and couldn't even say two lines with the word mother****er. And the heroine was a stupid, obedient girl who's afraid of her own reflection - 0/3

Not a single death was original. That guy having his head crushed was so Jason-y. And how can a knife like Michael's cut through someones head with just a swing? If it was Jasons knife, maybe. But Michael's knife is simply a big kitchen knife. The only scene which I liked was when the Julianne Moore clone got pushed on that spike. I think that was one of the deaths I never saw before. - 1/4

So, STAY AWAY from this movie. Especially if you've seen all the Halloween sequels (excluding 4-6). It turns Michael Myers' movies into teen slasher movies. Trust me, DON'T rent it!!
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Worst Of The Worst!
casjoz16 January 2004
This was the worst of the series by far, I'd rather have watched Halloween 3 again! If Busta Rhymes character was'nt in this it definately would've got a better rating from me! This character was a total ignorant,annoying as hell,I could'nt wait for him to get killed,now that would've made my day! I give this one a 1,only rent if you really want to lose 90 min. of your life.I have no idea what they were thinking when they made this garbage, that's right...they was'nt!
What an awful movie!!
Richnlkhd20 February 2003
I just can't stop trashing this crappy movie. Those pompous annoying teenagers were no more then cardboard character with too many lines. But what really sunk this movie was Busta Rhymes and the lousy performance by Tyra Banks. They could have found better actors at a community college. Spoiler!! That scene where Busta takes on Michael Myers then karate chops him thru the window. Please. Finnaly Michael comes back in his house and stab Busta until he collaspses dead -the highlight of the movie. I rejoiced thinking that boring ass clown was gone forever. But no, he gets to live again, his menacing attempts to act have been resurrected. He's up and around jumping and functioning as though nothing happened to him. Predictably he gets to kill Michael Meyers then calls him a motherf*cker for about the tenth time. Naturally his lines are all seasoned with that charming phrase whenever possible. The very final scene was also painfully predictable and quite dismal. After complety trashing the Michael Meyers series these idiots have the gall to suggest a sequel. Which washed up rap singer will they recruit for the next flop? M&M? Another thing is that mask. Busta must have stoled the original because Michael's mask looked terrible. Something was wrong it didn't fit right. This whole movie went wrong. Iam sorry I saw it.
Busta a NO NO!!!!
squidconsumption30 March 2004
This movie was horrible. What is up with Busta rhymes doing the karate kicks with the sound effects. I couldn't believe they would put him in a myers movie. It was hilarious seeing Busta karate kicking and wahhing. What the! They couldn't pick a better person? It is ridiculous how bad these movies get. If a person has their head chopped off (Mike Myers in H20) then how are they going to come back. If the creators were smart they would just leave the series alone and stop continuing it. It is only getting worse. When i was 4 and saw the first one i was freaked out. But if a 4 year old saw this one they would start cracking up. Come on. Can it get any worse? Should i have even of asked. If anyone liked this they must have been on serious meds.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The worst movie, in an otherwise fantastic series...
fury216 May 2005
I recently purchased an 8 Disc box set of all the Halloween movies. The only one, I hadn't seen, was "Resurrection". I had to see it, to see how the writers would get round the "oops, we decapitated him at the end of the last one...".... and I couldn't stop laughing. Michael Myers switched places with a Paramedic... I'd love to know where he keeps his spare masks? You'd think, that when he woke up in the van, he would have ripped his mask off, so Laurie would know that she had the wrong guy? Oh no...

And thus, is the beginning of a truly terrible addition to an otherwise successful franchise. We finally get closure between Laurie and Michael right at the beginning... but after all Laurie has been through, I didn't think she would be stupid enough to double check she had the right guy, especially when he was stalking her with a knife anyway..

Weak direction. Weak script. Weak cast. Busta Rhymes is obnoxious as Freddie Price, an entrepreneur of an internet web cast called Dangertainment, who selects 6 high school clichés to spend a night in Myers childhood home. OF course, Myers trashes the party, and offs people in a way that doesn't go with the Halloween movies. In earlier movies, the violence and the gore was kept to our imagination. We would see the events leading to it, the flash of a knife, and then we would imagine the rest. "Resurrection" has blood and gore like there's no tomorrow, and it felt like I was watching some tacked on slasher movie, not one of the many sequels to Halloween.

The Halloween movies were a rare franchise, that was intelligent, and always had the ability to shock, and entertain. The first movie sets the standards for all of todays slasher flicks. Halloween II was slightly dodgy with its story, and the pace was slow, but it was entertaining. Things dipped a bit in the late 80's, early 90's, but by H20, new life has been breathed into the series, and I thought things could only get better. How wrong I was.

I almost feel ashamed for watching it all the way to the end. Saying that, I will watch it again. It's Halloween after all, and every movie franchise has a bad turkey (Phanton Menace, Freddy Vs Jason, Any hellraiser movie after the third...) All in all, as long as your pi$$ed as a fart, you wont care, and will gladly cheer on Micheal as he slashes his way through 90 minutes of total torture.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Terrible! Garbabe! A disgrace and disappointment to fans!
DaysFan7929 October 2004
When I watched this, I was hoping it was a dream. I wish they would have ended the whole series after H20. The opening sequence with Jaime Lee was fun to watch - she is great in everything she does, we know that, but the rest of it was truly pathetic! Sadly, we no longer have Donald Pleasance who practically kept the films going. Jaime Lee is done with them. So what do we do? We cast a bunch of sorry unknowns who we don't have to pay much, plus a supermodel named Tyra Banks who has only a few lines, plus we put an Oscar worthy rapper (NOT!) in it that loves using the F-word every 2 seconds. The whole idea of using the cameras and a group of stupid, drunk kids at a Halloween party watching the whole thing on a pda/computer screen was so cheesy. And what I enjoyed about the Hallowen films up to this point was that they were cheese-free. The Blair Witch Craze is over - find something fresh guys! And the head chopping scene with the butcher knife was really ridiculous. I loved all the films up to this one. I like the direction they took with H4 and H5. H6 was OK. I hated that they cast another lame unknown in the role of Jaime Lloyd and then killed her off - another dumb idea! Danielle Harris should have been paid what she wanted. Anyway, John Carpenter is probably ashamed and disgusted by what they have done with this series if he watched H8 and I'm sure Donald Pleasance is rolling over in his grave. I hope H9 will be decent, but if they expect to do anything like they did in 8, I will not watch it and the series will be dead. Please let them have a decent plot and some real star-power with decent acting. Whoever came up with the idiotic ideas for this film really needs a hearty slap in the face for stupidity. Give us a break.
A sad disgrace
Richnlkhd20 February 2003
Having been a huge fan of the Halloween series I was sadly let down by the terrible acting, the screenplay, and the constant reference to the internet. The main star is a rap singer who can't act, and the rest of cast are annoying teenagers that are completely uninteresting. The ten minute introduction was acceptable, but the rest of the movie started and I was left wondering what the hell is this crap. Why did they make this movie? Instead of feeling scared I felt mad, and betrayed. Before long there all in his old house, and its one boring scene after another of long mindless chatter. When the hell is he going to kill all these little friggin snots. Finally the first ones gone. Good. Go get the next one. This was nothing like the original movie where you actually cared about Jamie Lee Curtis getting hurt let alone the sad chance of her dying. This movie bugs. Its almost impossible to watch.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Often stupid, sometimes clever, and completely unnecessary (SPOILERS ahead)
TelevisionJunkie13 July 2002
I fought the annoying crowd on opening night solely for Jamie Lee Curtis. The few trailers I'd seen led me to believe she was returning yet again as the heroine. Wrong. Instead, she has fifteen minutes (if that) of amazing screen time before being offed.... It seems the only reason she showed up was to set up why Michael was still alive (and their reasoning was less than satisfactory - it was asinine). It would have been interesting if, as I was led to believe, her neurotic character was like Linda Hamilton in T2, escaping from the asylum to hunt down her brother...but no. Instead, we're fed a Blair-Witch-Project-meets-Halloween setup, complete with dizzying, often annoying camerawork, a lot of bad jokes, tit-shots, and an assortment of one-dimensional characters who you never really care about as they're being sliced and diced by the maniac in the (now more detailed) William Shatner mask.

H20 should have been the end. The previous entry was made with loving care by people who obviously had respect for the original film - and more than a typical bloody sequel, they were looking for a clever way to end the series. There was a plot, strong characters, and a purpose. The new incarnation follows the typical bloody sequel trend, pitting the bad-guy against a bunch of unsuspecting kids. Yet again, tons of bloodshed ensues. And then we're left with that typical ending, standard from ‘80s films (particularly Friday the 13th) where they leave it wide open for another sequel with the corpse's eyes opening. Yawn. I'm a huge horror (and Halloween) fan, but I've already seen this movie a billion times under a billion different titles with a billion different casts.

I will admit that it's not all bad, though the cons far outweigh the pros. There is some clever dialogue ("You have nice legs, when do they open?") as well as an amusing on-camera bong scene. The effects are generally good. And the guy playing Michael this time did a good job mimicking Nick Castle's mannerisms. If this were made prior to H20, I might have liked it more. But enough's enough already!

Finally, what's up with the constantly evolving mask? Not since part 2 has it even remotely looked like it did in the original. And by the way, after wasting $8, I'D like to personally stab Curtis for being involved in this one....
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Jamie Lee Curtis returns for the pay in fifteen minute opening
SnoopyStyle16 April 2016
Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis) is catatonic locked in an asylum after the last encounter with Michael Myers. She is faking it and he is still after her. He stabs her in the back and sends her off the roof. Sara Moyer (Bianca Kajlich), Rudy Grimes (Sean Patrick Thomas) and Jen Danzig (Katee Sackhoff) are friends studying in Haddonfield University. Jen signs them up for a reality show at the Myers house. They are joined by Bill Woodlake (Thomas Ian Nicholas), Donna Chang, and Jim Morgan in the show run by Freddie Harris (Busta Rhymes) and Nora Winston (Tyra Banks). Myles Barton is in a chatroom relationship with Sara. Unknown to them, the six reality TV guests are locked in the house with Michael Myers.

Despite any possible retcon, the first fifteen minutes are still the best part of this movie. Jamie Lee Curtis is Halloween every bit as much as Michael Myers. The rest is something else. Whatever it is, it's not Halloween. The reality TV idea is annoying and it gets worst with the intermittent reality TV camera work. I like a few of the actors, but Tyra Banks and Busta Rhymes really lower the likability factor. It's so bad that I am more interested in everybody getting killed. I don't care if any of them survive.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Even Myers is getting tired...
CousinBagunca20 July 2015
If you've made it this far, you know what you're in for!

By this point, your mind is already sore. "Halloween: Resurrection" is, yet, another sequel on the Halloween franchise.

It's pretty much the same as its predecessor: "Halloween H20: 20 Years Later", though it managed to be worse.

Plot is mediocre, just another excuse to put Michael Myers on-screen again.

Also, some huge flaws throughout the movie. Those familiar with the series will notice.

Overall, if you're in for watching all the Halloween series out of curiosity, go for it! It's kinda funny to see how things changed through each sequel released.

If you're looking for some great slasher flick, I'd say "stay away!". This movie is only for those fond with Michael Myers franchise, those seeking to watch all the movie series.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?