The Kid (2000) Poster

(2000)

I liked it more than I expected to
mauricio-195 February 2001
I saw this on a plane. You know, you are strapped to a chair and forced to watch whatever garbage they put up there.

And I have to say I actually had fun. Some scenes are sugary and over the top but the kid's performance is above average for children actors. Casting was perfect.

One thing though: the music is inappropriate, heavy-handed and sometimes ruins the scenes. It is like asking Richard Wagner to write for an intimate comedy. Very weird.

But I strongly recommended the movie to my mom. It is that kind of movie.
24 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No kidding - I loved it!
Shiva-1111 July 2000
The Kid - At 39 years old Russel Duritz has a life that most men would envy - he has a great job, is respected (and feared), has a beautiful house and makes buckets of money. But everything comes at a cost, in this case no social life, no conscience and a fear of spending the rest of his life alone. He just needs someone to show him the way.

As I watched the movie, I kept wondering why Disney didn't pass this film on to Miramax - not because it's particularly daring or edgy, but because it is clearly a movie for adults. This is exacerbated by the marketing campaign which is clearly targeting children - it is lumped in with trailers for "Rugrats the Movie", and "Pokemon 2000" (aren't they passe yet?). But I quibble.

I was impressed by the sensitive treatment of the subject matter - rather than the typical male midlife crisis that involves some pathetic sap buying a Porsche convertible and acting like a moron, Willis' character undertakes some serious introspection and takes stock of his life. His guide on this journey of self-discovery is himself at age 8 (they never explain how Rusty arrives and frankly, I didn't care). Young Rusty's innocence and unbridled optimism give him a distinct advantage in divining the truth - he sums up Russell's job as an image consultant thusly, "You teach people how to lie and pretend to be something they aren't". In order for a good script to succeed, however, you need actors to bring it to life. Not a problem here.

Although Willis has thrice ignored W.C. Fields' warnings about starring with children or animals he has lucked out once again, meshing as well comedically with Breslin as he did dramatically with Osment. Willis manages to balance Russell's cutthroat powerbroker traits with vulnerability and confusion, without becoming ridiculous. Breslin meanwhile gives a dead on portrayal of a kid from everyone's childhood - the one that always stuck out for some reason and got picked on. We also get two bonus performances: Lily Tomlin is great as Russell's levelheaded assistant and Jean Smart is perfect as an insightful charming anchorwoman (I loved her in "Guinevere").

The Kid is charming, heavy, and real. And it will appeal to adults of all ages.
34 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Kid In Us All...
JackReese9 July 2000
When the first trailer for this film was viewed by myself, I was curious as to what angle the storyline would take. After all the plot of having one's childhood self return to the present leaves open many options. Bruce Willis however does a superb job in the role he was given. I was surprised to see just how well he could act in this part. This is also a good career move as many others have said but after seeing it I now agree. This film is mainly about remembering the kid you used to be, and coming to the realization that you aren't the adult you planned to be. This is a wonderful story and a gripping tale that makes us all think. Usually we scorn at "What if..." movies. For example, Waterworld attempted to answer the question "What if the world were to be covered with water and...?" But truthfully, nobody cared. This movie however effects everyone in the theatre. True, young children may not fully grasp the idea of growing up and having all your dreams fizzle away, but it leaves a great impact on the adults and parents of those children. This movie is definitely worth seeing. Although, it will be better the second time around because you won't be thinking so much (about how the kid got there, and why and all that stuff) Just relax and have fun. And take something with you when you leave that cinema. Take that piece of your childhood you've forgotten and enjoy it.
30 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holy smokes!
carlobustamante1 July 2020
My Top 1 favorite movie! Watched it over and over again. This is the movie that greatly influenced my decisions in life. Left my old job 18 years ago, and became a pilot. Fast forward to 2020... didn't turn out to be a dogless, chickless loser with a twitch. Now watching it again with my wife & 3 kids.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This could have been much worse
philip_vanderveken27 May 2005
When this movie was shown on television, it wasn't announced as "Disney's The Kid", but just as "The Kid", a movie with Bruce Willis, and that's probably a good thing. I'm pretty sure I would never have taped it if I knew this was a Disney movie, fearing that all the syrupy nonsense would be too much for me to handle. Still, I don't know what made me decide to give this movie a try when I saw the title in the beginning of the movie, but in the end I was glad that I watched it, because it certainly wasn't as bad as I feared it would be.

Bruce Willis is Russ Duritz, a wealthy L.A. image consultant who's about to turn forty. He's a cynical workaholic who has estranged from his father, who has no memories of his childhood and who doesn't have a girlfriend, a family or even a dog. One night he surprises an intruder, who turns out to be an almost 8 years old kid. But there is something strange about him. The chubby kid is named Rusty and has a lot of similarities with Russ. Soon they find out that Russ and Rusty are actually the same person. Together they make a journey into Russ's past to find the key moment that has defined who Russ is. How this is possible, what it all has to mean and how it will affect both their futures will only be clear at the end of the movie.

In a way this is a very typical and predictable Disney movie with it's rather innocent and naive look on life, but I guess it can be enjoyable for adults as well. It is all very recognizable and it is a nice fairy tale about losing touch with your inner child. It certainly isn't the best movie ever, but it is some decent and heart-warming family entertainment that offers some nice acting and a good story. I would say: watch it with an open mind and you'll see it isn't as bad as you feared. I give it a 6/10.
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So..what's keeping them from making more like this?
mark_r._mcdonald18 August 2000
From a perspective that it is possible to make movies that are not offensive to people with strong moral values, this one is definitely worthwhile. This is the second Bruce Willis film in a row that manages to tell its story with no nudity, off-color humor, profanity, or gratuitous violence. (I refer of course to The Sixth Sense.) Both movies are engaging on more than one level. This one is appropriate for children as well, although as others have pointed out, it isn't a flick FOR kids.

I was bothered that the time travel device that drives this plot is never explained, except that we know Russell himself initiates it as a 70 year old. Also, why does his dying mother have to come to school to get him when he wins the fight; why, if as his older self says, he has to fight that kid again and again for the next few years does his mother not have to come and get him every time, and why he doesn't learn to kick butt in the process. I also found the score rather annoying and not always appropriate to the action on stage.

Good use of the red plane as metaphor, however.
25 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Kid The Man The Girl,oh and don't forget Chester !
buzznzipp199512 February 2007
Now for sure, this is one of the lightest-hearted stories that Bruce Willis has been in to date and yet,-- it is still touching. I really like Bruce's style and persona, I haven't loved everything he has ever been in, but he brings it to the 'Big-time' for me in most all his film endeavors.

The story begins..... He is power, confidence and style with a capitol 'S' . He drives a Porshe he lives well, in a palatial estate with a grand view of the fair city. That's Russell Duritz. He is an image consultant to those who are on the top or rising to it. His acclaim, he is Russell Duritz, he knows what it takes to make it. It just seems that as life is going along swiftly and foundation-ally set, there is a problem, an intruder at his home, the alarm has been activated!

Russell can't seem to figure out (for the moment) what is happening to him. It's different and yet it is somehow familiar. A small boy, who looks exactly like....-- him. As their lives run smack dab into each other, there seems to be a reason that is screaming out to him, "You have unfinished business to take care of, now!"

Amy the supporting young lady of the story is probably the best balance that he has seen and has in his life. She works with him, puts up with his 'ego' and yet, she is smitten with Russell. Very much so. With Rusty his past 'self' now in the picture and talking a mile a minute, singing too late at night, everything that was foundational is becoming like jelly!

Willis is fun, egocentric and at times out of his head in this lovable Disney modern times classic 'The Kid' and to add his little heavy-duty side kick Spencer Breslin is a perfect addition to this sparkling story of childhood to adult and back to childhood adventure. Chi McBride is an inspirational supporting character, as he is the heavy-weight champ, teaching 'little' Rusty how to box to defend himself against the bullies on the playground.

All in all this is a real winner of a movie with even Lillie Tomlin as the secretary and aide to Russell. I originally saw this back in 2000' and then again years later, with equal enjoyment. This is a shiny family comedy that has a super ending that will warm the hearts of any Disney fan Recommended highly (*****)
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Kid's Movie For People in Their 40s
mintonmedia23 June 2000
The surprise is not how good this film turns out to be. With Willis coming off of "Sixth Sense" and Jean Smart and writer Audrey Wells following up on the underappreciated "Guinevere", I suspected there just might be something going on here. The surprise is how what is being pushed as a Disney kid's film is actually a funny, moving and rather mature fable about losing touch with the child you were and the adult you wanted to be. The kids in the audience were restless. The parents were laughing...and a few even sniffling. Not a great film, but a darn good one, with a message that will probably go over the heads of anyone under 30.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For all the cynics out there.
tzehoong27 March 2002
"The Kid" is a movie that will touch the hearts of two groups of people - children and grown-up cynics. In the leading role is Bruce Willis, who in my opinion must be one of the most versatile actors around. He plays the part of the cynical jerk Russ very well :).For most of the movie you cannot help but to hate him as he constantly ridicules the weaknesses of the people around him, and love him as you somehow know that there's a tiny seed of kindness waiting to grow.

Emily Mortimer is extremely lovable as Amy, who works for Russ. Her acting is good, and I have to admit that I had to succumb to her cuteness- and I doubt anyone could help but to cheer her on through the whole story, she's so good as Russ's employee, who would like to like him, but gets shoved off every time she tries to be nice.

The story is fun and imaginative. Russ's eight-year-old self travels to the future to meet him as a thirty-nine year old. The young Russ doesn't think much of Russ's achievements (chickless, dogless...) while Russ doesn't want to remember that he was once an overweight, whiny loser.

Don't write it off as just another family movie thinking that you'll be able to predict the whole storyline. You won't. Sure, the guy gets the girl, and young Russ and old Russ grow to like each other and help each other out.

But as you watch the final ten minutes of the movie, as things start to get wrapped up, you will suddenly sit erect, brain churning, and when you figure it all out, you lie back, try to keep back the wide grin that is forcing itself on your face, give up, and say "Holy smokes!"
13 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holy smokes such a wonderful movie
UniqueParticle23 April 2020
Loved The Kid ever since I was a kid! So heartwarming, funny, adorable and Bruce Willis is always great! Jon Turtletaub has made such a precious film about guy named Russel where a bizarre occurrence that arrives at his house and he has to figure out why. Spencer Breslin is so much fun to watch along with Bruce; I probably enjoy this movie more than most.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bruce Willis in a good feel good movie.
famousgir17 December 2001
The Kid is a really good family movie about a stuffy image consultant, Russ Duritz, who has lots of money, a good job, nice house, etc. The only problem is he doesn't have much of a social life as nobody seems to like him as he isn't always very nice. One day though things are about to change when an eight year old version of himself magically appears. This gives Russ a second chance to make things right. Bruce Willis plays the lead role here and he gives a really good performance. The Kid is a nice, heart-warming movie for everyone.
24 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not just a kid movie
KathND30 July 2000
While my kids enjoyed the movie (and announced afterward that they want to buy it later) I think I got more out of it that they did. The scene in the airport shop at the beginning is real life (I did not use the cutting comment aloud, but I thought it). It is a feel good mid-life movie, a bit sappy and some scenes work less well than others (why does the kid stay with Bruce Willis after he knows his Mom is dying?), but all in all and good time. It also gave our family something to talk about - did my kids think my life was boring? What do they expect at 40? How can you not like a movie that gets a good conversation going with your kids?
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Masterpiece!
robby7777711 May 2020
This feel good movie is a masterpiece in what I feel is Bruce Willis's best role. From the first scene to the final scene, it is movie magic. It will be a movie you watch over and over, is funny, perfect for the whole family, and provokes thought about your own life. One of my wife's and my favorite films!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
profound,amazing
xuguodong13 July 2001
I have been always wondering "Can one truly explain the meaning of life in less than two hours?" And here I got the answer after watching this movie for 3 times. This is certainly one of the greatest films I've ever seen. Disney tries to make the film in an interesting and lovely way so it can appeal to both the kids and the adults. But what lies behind the film by far beyond the comprehension of a normal kid. Here, let's first look at how other comments put it: `The movie starts by completely neglecting even an attempt at explaining how 8-year-old Rusty shows up on 40-year-old Rusty's doorstep" But this is not true. Actually the film made a hard work demonstrated how Russ (Willis) --a successful image consultant and a rich jerk was haunted by the hallucination of a flying plane which was actually the same kind of a model given to him by his father as a present. Here Audey Wells present all the viewers a question as a shrimp in the later plot suggested it: you're having hallucination for a reason and you need to figure out what that reason is.But at that time, the film is not in a hurry to explain the reason. Later on Ross's hallucination got stronger and he even imagined a boy intruded into his house. Even more the hallucinated boy lead him to an old drome. From there Ross's dream or more accurately the psychiatric journey of exploring himself began. That exploration filled most of the film till the 8-year-old Rusty disappeared on the same drome (notice only at that time Russ's clothes changed back to the sleeping pajama). The main part of the film (that's what I called the exploration) centered on the questions that had puzzled Russ these days: What's wrong with him? Why he always said somebody call the Ouaaaaaaaaambulance? Why he had a twitch? What happened from being little Rusty and becoming Russ? What will be supposed to do with the relation with Amy? And finally what he will be doing in the later time of his life? The film did an excellent job in explain all these questions. Evenmore it raised another question: Is Russ really a loser? Here Jean Smart said something very inspiring: I mean how many of us grow up to be astronauts or prima ballerina? We just all do the best we can. This film presented the normal theme of midyear crisis in a swift and clever way without lacking of provoking thought.The main character especially Bruce Willis and Jean Smart worked very well to helped achieve visual effect as well as the profound theme.Russ got the answer and know what to do next, what about us?
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was expecting superficial junk, but it was actually pretty good.
grunin3 July 2000
Turns out it's not really a kids' movie - it's the story of a guy's mid-life crisis - but my kids (9 & 4) didn't seem bored. There were a couple of scenes where I expected the worst kind of saccharine cliches, but they actually turned out okay.

Willis is above average, Lily Tomlin is basically perfect, and even the kid (Spencer Breslin) doesn't make you cringe.

As far as the writer (Audrey Wells), it was about as good as her 'The Truth About Cats & Dogs' and better than 'George of the Jungle'. It will appeal to people who liked director Turteltaub's other big films (Phenomenon, While You Were Sleeping, Cool Runnings).
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as I thought
Quinoa198414 July 2000
I thought Disney's The Kid (using Disney to differentiate itself from the 1921 version) wasn't the best kid movie ever made, but it was definately better than I thought from the previews. It turns out this film is a version of Bruce Willis' film from last year, The Sixth Sense. The difference (and of course) is that while in the Sixth Sense looked at a kid who kept seeing dead people and only one person could help him out, this film as a man who is dead inside and only one kid could help. Still, both films deal with supernatural dealings and Bruce Willis. Sometimes funny, sometimes melodramatic, but usually OK. Not the worst, but not for all kids. B+
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film is not for kids, but rather for the kid in us.
Figaro-81 August 2000
It is so nice to see Bruce Willis come down off his action throne and let us see that he really is a talented actor. He shines in this film as the near-40-year-old image consultant who has totally lost touch with his inner child--until he meets him face to face. This is one of those rare films that doesn't talk down to its audience and truly offers something for the WHOLE family. It is about caring for each other, keeping some of the child inside you, and realizing that you don't grow up exactly the way you thought you would. Willis seems to be building an impressive track record for working with kids (just witness "The Sixth Sense" with Haley Joel Osment), and he has great chemistry with Spencer Breslin here. There is some nice photography and music, and the ending is wonderful and uplifting. A great film to see with EVERY member of your family.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A surprisingly good movie; better than "Armageddon"
coverme626 July 2000
At first glance, I thought "The Kid" was a cheesy, pathetic

children's movie because of its PG rating. But, when I viewed, I

had to eat my words. "The Kid" is one enjoyable movie! Bruce

Willis stars in probably his first Disney movie as Russ Duritz,

a workaholic executive who is given a visit by his past, in the

form of a chubby 8-year old, played with giddy intensity by

Spencer Breslin. Soon enough, Russ is picking up the pieces of

his dead-end life with the help of his time-traveling little

counterpart.

With good-natured performances, especially by Willis, who seems

fresh and awake, not grim and foulmouthed, like his previous

material. Breslin is also a hoot as the young Rusty. For one

thing I'll tell you, "The Kid" outruns "Armageddon" by a million

points, at least that's why lies in my o
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a great and unsung family film
MartinHafer10 June 2007
The often family-unfriendly Bruce Willis did a fine job in the movie, but the one I really liked was the pudgy and just plain adorable kid, Spencer Breslin. He made this film by both his adorable behaviors, poignant ones and his ability to act. There are many horrible child actors out there and fortunately for this film, Spencer wasn't one of them. I loved this film and it's sad that most didn't seem nearly as impressed as evidenced by its relatively low IMDb score and critical responses to the film in the media. Sure the main idea was a bit over-used (such as in BIG and VICE-VERSA among many others), but the film was not just another re-tread but had a lot to offer and a really great deeper meaning. Plus, while the film was marketed more towards kids, it was great for adults as well and I loved the movie.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ear's Eye
tedg19 December 2000
There are two ways of watching a movie for me. I can decide to participate, or if it doesn't seem promising for some reason, I can watch it for the craft. This is in the latter category. And it has two really interesting things to watch.

I like Bruce Willis. He's a superb technician, which is why he can do comedy and, say Harrison Ford cannot. Watch how he carries not only himself, but the space around him. A certain zen. Lilly Tomlin helps - she's great, more of an intuitive, but isn't used well here.

The other thing: the score here is elevated to the level of a major character. What's done is to use Disney's first rate expertise in personally dramatic music as surrogate for the viewer, and it is done well. Lots of cornets and bassoons. Real instruments, real voices in your head. When you do this, the music doesn't complement the action, it comments on it. It is in YOUR mind, not the world of the action. Very clever.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heartwarming revisit to childhood
HotToastyRag25 June 2019
After acting alongside child star Haley Joel Osment in the previous year's The Sixth Sense, Bruce Willis went on to make another movie with a child actor: The Kid. Don't worry, folks. This one is actually family friendly. It's a Disney movie!

Bruce stars as a rude businessman who's lost touch with his humanity. A freak accident happens, and Spencer Breslin shows up in his living room. It turns out, Spencer is Bruce Willis's character at eight years old. Obviously, he's there to teach his grown-up self a lesson or two, so he tags along with Bruce throughout the movie. These types of films are very smart, since they appeal to everyone. Kids like any movies with kids, teenagers usually like the adult star, and grown-ups always cry during movies about remembering and rediscovering childhood. These movies are usually more meaningful the farther you've gone from your happy youth, so depending on how miserable you are, you might need to stock up on Kleenex. I liked this one, because it's always nice to see Bruce Willis in a movie where he can show off his sensitive acting chops. Action movies are fun, but so is versatility. Keep an eye out for Emily Mortimer, Lily Tomlin, Jean Smart, and Juanita Moore in the supporting cast.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The story of an over achiever that loss his way.
heidi-917 July 2000
The movie is very entertaining for both adults and children. It presents in a humorous fashion Bruce Willis' character as he tries to find who he was, who he is and how being in contact with his inner child helps turn his life around. Bruce Willis did it again, his portrayal reminds me a little bit of his acting in Moonlighting, the TV show. The kid's expressions and blue eyes were worth a thousand words, he is very talented and his good acting was a pleasant surprise. Great movie.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And you thought Jack was good...
Amber-2014 July 2000
This movie is, by far, one of the BEST movies I have ever seen. I laughed, I cried! Even my fiance (who prides himself on not liking kiddy movies) truly enjoyed himself. I recommend this movie to anyone and EVERYONE who doesn't want to waste $8 at the movie theatre.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, sweet, and touching- for kids and adults
Verbal-1710 July 2000
Many "family" movies fail to be enjoyed universally because either they're so cute that adults can't stand them, or they try so hard to appeal to grownups and kids alike that they become too complicated for the kids to enjoy. But every once in a while a movie comes along that manages to achieve a balance between the two, and winds up being fun for anybody who watches it. "My Dog Skip" was like that, and so is this. It's funny, charming, and sweet in about equal doses, and doesn't pile on the false cuteness too much. Bruce Willis gives a fun performance as a kind of modern-day scrooge, who gets a visit from a ghost of sorts, in the form of his 8-year-old self. Talk about getting in touch with your inner child! As his relationship with his younger self goes on, he begins to remember how much he enjoyed his life when he was younger, and reflects on his own life through the kid's point of view. The film's climax, which involves him trying to get the kid back to his own time and put something right that went wrong long ago, manages to be entertaining without going over the top.

Reflecting on the movie, I thought about all the ways that it could have gone wrong, but I was shocked by how good it was. I am a 21 year-old guy, and I went to see it with a buddy of mine who is 26, and we both had a great time. So trust me when I say that this isn't just a dumb movie for kids- it's a whole lot more, so give it a chance.
Go see this movie
salzfam8 July 2000
We were expecting to like this film and we were not disappointed. Its about time someone realized that there's room for a movie thats just plain fun. "The Kid" has the same good natured qualities of the classic Disney films of yesterday, in a contemporary setting. Bring the kids and the grandparents!