Remember the Titans (2000) Poster

Love this movie!
QueenMakeda8415 March 2003
How great was this movie? I fell in love with it from being made to watch it in Health class in 11th grade. I love films about adversity within races, and this movie was a classic. Herman Boone has to bring blacks and whites together for a highschool football team to play with each other. Of course, it's the 70's and racism is still rampant. I love the message that people will mesh anyway despite outside complications. Julius' and Gerry's relationship was really profound and special. It crossed a lot of lines. Denzel was remarkable as Coach Boone. He took no crap, yet was scared to lose his position underneath. There was tension everywhere and it worked for the film. The players were really memorable to me. Blue, Rev, Sunshine, Petey, and Louie Lastik were adorable and hilarious. A great ensemble cast effort. The guy who played Yoast was good as well, because he had to learn to overcome prejudices he had that he never knew he did. Even better, was the fact that it's a true story which makes it all the more sweet. I watch this movie over and over and can practically say every line by heart. Great, great film. The Titans really were greater than the gods of Greek myth, and these guys were greater than any stereotype.
123 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remember this movie
MichaelOates10 March 2004
"Remember The Titans" is one of the two best films to have a chance to win an oscar for best picture.

Denzel Washington leads a cast that is young, fresh, talented and determined to make this movie a success. "Remember The Titans" is laced with strong performances from Will Patton, Ryan Hurst, Wood Harris, Donald Faison and Greg Alan Williams.

Based on a true story "Remember The Titans" follows the 1971 T.C. Williams High School Titans football team and their struggles with integration. Washington is Herman Boone, who has run up against racism after he has been brought in to coach the Titans. Patton is Bill Yoast, the man Boone replaced as head coach.

Washington and Patton are just two pieces of the puzzle, which makes "Remember The Titans" a real gem. However, the strength and real beauty of "Remember The Titans" does not come from Washington or Patton, but the Titan football players because they are the ones who give the strongest performances in the film.

I must say that the best performance of the whole movie other than Washington and Patton is the young actress who portrayed Bill Yoast's daughter, Hayden Panitierre. In "Remember The Titans" this young actress single handidly made it worth watching this film. Her talent shines through and her presence on screen is as fresh as the daily air; furthermore, every time she is on screen she sparkles. It is so pleasurable to see talent like this being discovered.

I hesitated to see "Remember The Titans" because I didn't want to see another football film, but it is more than just another football film.

"Remember The Titans" is a special film that has special performances and is well worth every dollar you spend to rent this film.
94 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptional movie
jackjack-213 March 2006
Being a former white athlete and coach I am sick of sports movies where the story involves a team eventually winning a championship so I passed this one by when it first came out. Big mistake!! Like "Hoosiers" this one was an exception and what an exception. Remember the Titans is in my top five movies of the past ten years. Denzel Washington, as the coach, gave another of his consistently outstanding performances.

Like "Hoosiers" this is a true story and it is not just a story about sports but a strong story about race. I probably appreciated it more than most because of my background I connected to the movie. During the 1940s I attended schools which were well integrated and students of different races and cultures existed harmoniously. To a large degree, it was because the high school had a very successful football program in which unlike almost all of the other schools, minority athletes were welcome. In my junior year we went undefeated and won the State Championship and the team is still considered the best high school team of all time. The only time the team came close to defeat was in the State final when we played another well integrated team.

Consequently the community while generally middle and upper class except for its minorities was well integrated. As a result although I knew racism existed, I never encountered it in my community. But then I began to see its ugly head. First, the All-American end on our team, a superb athlete, was denied scholarships both to USC and Stanford because neither school accepted minorities. I had always wanted to go to USC but because of what USC did to my friend I turned down its offer of a scholarship the next year as I did to Stanford which I considered a snob school then as I do today.

But my college was cut short when the Korean War began and I was in the service. I was sent to bases in the South and I spent much of the next thirteen years in the South witnessing how bad it was for the blacks and I was involved in the civil rights movement in the South which got me into a lot of trouble with my military superiors.

During my tours in the South I became head coach of a football team at a Southern base. Filled with ex-collegiate stars and some pros, we regularly played Division I colleges and universities. However, because I had black players on my team I couldn't schedule games with any white southern colleges. Instead we scheduled one black college and several state universities in the mid-west.

Some critics have compared the summer camp at which Washington as Coach Boone brought the blacks and whites together as a team as like a Marine Boot Camp but everyone missed the subtlety of this. I went through Boot Camp at a time when the military was just integrating and we had southern blacks and whites as well as a mix of races from other parts of the country in my platoon as well as all classes. It didn't take very long for us to become as one unit. The first part of boot camp is sure hell and the reason for it is that it reduces everyone to the lowest common denominator of misery and you quickly learn that the only way to escape that misery is to work together. This is just the way Coach Boone made it work.

What I liked about this movie is that it showed how all this played out. Most moviegoers today are not really aware of how bad racism was in 1971 but this movie illustrates it well. Even though the movie has a few corny moments and the actors playing the roles as football players look old for high school, these faults are minimal and do not detract from the power of the film.
119 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feel good movie from Disney
jhaggardjr1 October 2000
"Remember the Titans" is a movie that by the end of seeing it makes you feel good. And why shouldn't it? You would figure that it'll be a nice little picture since it comes from the Walt Disney Company, and I think it's perfect for the whole family. "Remember the Titans" is a comedy-drama based on the true story of a high school in Virginia that is integrated with white and black students, white and black teachers, and white and black athletic coaches. Oscar winner Denzel Washington gives another one of his fine performances as the new head coach of the high school football team, and Will Patton is equally good as the current head coach who is now demoted to assistant coach under Washington. Together they try to get their players of both races to get along and put on a winning team. In addition to Washington and Patton, there are some other terrific performances by the young actors who portray the football players. I see some future stars here. The movie has plenty of dramatic moments with some delightful comedy thrown in the middle of it. It obviously gets a little predictable towards the end which keeps "Remember the Titans" from being a perfect movie. But so what? This is a sports movie and usually sports movies almost always ends with "the big game". Who's going to win that big game? I won't say who wins the big game in "Remember the Titans", but in the end you'll be rooting for the Titans to win, win, win! And that's all that matters. Bottom line: "Remember the Titans" is an excellent film, very well made and very well acted by everyone involved.

***1/2 (out of four)
64 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods.
hitchcockthelegend31 July 2009
Based on real events in 1971, where T.C. Williams High School, a now hot bed integrated school, becomes a beacon of unification via their mixed race football team.

As is normally the case with films of this ilk, it quickly comes to pass that certain artistic licence has been taken with the truth. In reality the issues of race, integration and the near powder-keg atmosphere portrayed in the picture, were long past their worst in Virginia 1971. However, that should in no way detract from the thematics and truthful aspects of this Disney production. As is told in the film, the Titans did have what became known as the perfect season, whilst the bond formed between the black and white members most definitely existed. All told, the film soars high as an inspirational piece, not only for the mixed race community coming together plot's essential being, but in the crucial tale of one Gerry Bertier.

That this film urged me to seek out the story of Bertier is a testament to the power of film, regardless of any sort of sentimental prodding from the film makers. It's hoped that this film also prompts newcomers to research further the topics within the story.

The cast list is impressive, Denzel Washington and Will Patton find instant chemistry as the head coaches thrust together by outside influences, with both guys beautifully doing credit to the real life friendship that would be born from the situation. Ryan Hurst, Wood Harris, Ethan Suplee, Donald Faison, Kip Pardue, Craig Kirkwood and a pre-fame Ryan Gosling fill out the integrated football team. With two important family roles nicely portrayed by Hayden Panettiere and Nicole Ari Parker. The soundtrack is nicely put together, with the core offering of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's thumping rendition of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" particularly potent and uplifting.

Though not primarily offering up anything new in the pantheon of race and sport related movies, Remember The Titans does have so much good going for it. It's hard to be picky, even churlish about the little faults (are these actors really the age of high schoolers for example?). So hopefully come the end, after the credits roll, you will be suitably inspired, and perhaps a touch more better off for having spent time with this particular football team. 8.5/10
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
denzel at his best
A_Different_Drummer30 November 2013
Other reviewers here have covered the backstory, the direction, the production, and just about everything there is to cover for this excellent and unforgettable film. Except for one thing. It is a peculiarity of the film business that some actors peak early, for no obvious reason, and others just keep on going, like the Energizer rabbit. Michael Caine -- excuse me SIR Caine -- has been making movies for decades. Sometimes he is brilliant and sometimes he is not. Samuel L. Jackson has been in so many movies that (to this reviewer) it seems like the writers have reached the point where they no longer bother naming a character, they just pencil in the margins that they have written a part for Jackson. Denzel, who was beyond brilliant here, it is so hard to imagine anyone else doing this role with the conviction and the diction that is his trademark, seems to have stopped doing these sorts of parts (written in 2013) and frankly, more's the pity. Hollywood is like that. So on top of all the other excellent reasons to see and enjoy this film, here is one more. Denzel at his peak. What more can I say?
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light, but effective
Boheme9726 May 2005
This movie received a lot of criticism for being a little too "light" in it's depiction of racism in that time period. However, the fact that Disney decided to take on the topic at all astounds me. I think that this movie is incredibly effective and an excellent football movie. It really sucks you into these characters and make you feel for them. I am emotionally affected by this film no matter how many times I've seen it, and I think that this movie will stand up over time as one of the most endearing sports classics of all time.

Quote that i believe defines the movie: "I don't care if you like each other, but you will respect each other. And maybe, I don't know, maybe we can learn to play this game like men."

My personal favorite: "I don't want them to gain another YARD, you blitz all night! They cross the line of scrimmage I swear to God I'm going to take every one of you out. You make sure they remember FOREVER, the night they played the Titans."
54 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A powerful inspirational film
Ree5930 January 2005
Remember the Titans is much more than a story about a high school football team. It is a true story about two men who overcome their differences and help an entire town deal with frustration, anger, and mistrust. Herman Boone (Denzel Washington) is the head coach of the football team at the black high school while Bill Yoast (Will Patton) is the head coach of the football team at the white high school. In 1971 the high schools are integrated and Coach Boone is chosen to become the head coach of the football team while Coach Yoast is demoted to assistant coach.

Remember the Titans is a powerful film with incredible performances by both Denzel Washington and Will Patton.
88 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding movie
lkbrown4 October 2002
This movie is more than just about football, race relations and integration. The lead characters excellently portray the human spirit, showing that everyone can overcome not just on the field but also in life. The ending is predictable, but it draws you in with the intense emotion to win both on and off the field.
45 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remember the Titans indeed- promised to be a great film and it was
TheLittleSongbird7 January 2010
Rememmber the Titans is a wonderful film, compelling, compassionate, funny and often moving. It tells the story of a dedicated coach seen tackling the explosive combination of football and racial desegregation in 1970s America. The film is quite ambitious, but it not only really does pack an emotional punch but it does linger long into the memory and is several notches above sports movies I have seen. For one thing, it is slickly directed by Boaz Yakin, and benefits also from wonderful cinematography and a music score of sweeping grandeur, almost epic. Even better than any of these put together, is the marvellous lead performance of Denzel Washington that was worth an Oscar, it seems as though in every film I've seen of his he manages to give a compelling performance and this includes the underrated Cry Freedom. Will Patton matches him perfectly in a smooth, quiet and perhaps low key performance as his counterpart that isn't at all clichéd. Hayden Pannetiere also gives a fine performance, even though I didn't see how her character would ever overcome her differences with her sister. The script is extremely sharp and decisive, the editing is crisp and fast and the football parts are enough to pump up your adrenaline. The epilogue could bring tears to your eyes, as it is so beautifully put. All in all, wonderful film. 9/10 Bethany Cox
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit "Hollywoodized" but who cares?!
planktonrules10 June 2007
Generally speaking, I am a pretty jaded reviewer on IMDb. I am not known for being overly generous to films and I must admit that I am often very critical. It is in light of my very critical nature that my loving this film is so amazing. I have seen it several times and although it occasionally changes a few minor details of the real-life football team to make the film more poignant, the overall film is truthful and uplifting. If you are curious about these inaccuracies, read through the list on IMDb, though this didn't lessen my appreciation for the film when I read them. That's because despite these changes, the acting still was great, the direction and writing wonderful and highly manipulative (in a positive way). This is a film for anyone--child, teen or adult. And the part about this I like the best is that I have shown this film to teens and those who hate football still have loved the movie. Marvelous entertainment that anyone but the most jaded can enjoy.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable but solid "feel good" football entertainment.
=G=21 March 2001
"Remember the Titans" tells about a black football coach (Washington) who transfers to an integrated high school where he's faced with turning black and white prejudices into teamwork and winning the state championship with a racially mixed team in a racially divided society. On the downside, "Titans" shows us nothing new, runs too long, gets too busy and is a journeyman production at best. On the upside, the film turns black and white issues into appropriate shades of gray, delivers lots of grid iron action, and waxes to a Rockyesque "feel good" conclusion. The fact that females scored this football flick higher (on IMDB.com) than males is telling.
19 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A GREAT MOVIE
geotchak15 March 2003
Remember the Titans was touching, uplifting, inspiring, motivating, and triumphant. It will make you cry at parts, laugh at parts, "goose pimples" will appear on your arms at parts, it will also make you cheer out loud from your seat! A must see.
31 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a Slam Dunk
Hitchcoc27 February 2006
Racial prejudice is the pariah of our society. It permeates every avenue to making the world a fair place to live. It's not just American society either. It's in the North, the South, and everywhere overseas. Prejudice is counterproductive and ugly. This movie sort of pretends to rise above it. It's a feel good movie in some respects. While racism is at the center of the film, the answers are just a little too pat. It's just a little too easy. Granted, it's just a movie, but I wish it got a little more down and dirty. A trip to a training camp out of town and a lecture on the Gettysburg battlefield just wouldn't do it. Some of these kids are going to hold onto stuff their parents have driven into them a lot longer than this. Now all that said, I still enjoyed the film. The characterizations of Coach Boone and Coach Yoast are well drawn. They are both good men who love their players. They are both excellent role models. And the players and the game scenes are believable (although I am getting tired of every hit on the field sounding like a Buick hitting a concrete wall--this is happening in most football movies). The growth of Gary and the Rev is nicely done and we hope that it really happened that way. I enjoyed the two white guys who just kind of matter of factly walked into practice--Sunshine and Louis--who just wanted to play football. There are some kids out there who don't think about race very much. They are pretty naive, but they are charming. I loved when Louis hugged Coach Boone and told him he was going to college. That's a nice touch.

I could go on, but others have said so much already. It's a good action movie with nice human characters. It just gets a little simplistic at times and it needs to answer for that.
13 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inspiring, Entertaining and One Truly Amazing Performance
Bob-4514 May 2001
Although a mite too predictable, "Remember the Titans" is an inspiring and entertaining movie. The true story of the integration of a Virginia high school football team and the warm multicultural relationships which developed among the team members, staff and families, the film reminds us once again when working together in a common effort, one can find love and friendship in the most unlikely places. As the head coach, Denzel Washington uses military-style techniques which have been shown time and again to succeed in creating unity and team spirit among people from different backgrounds. Big surprise here. The film's most important lesson is for people to give each other enough respect and trust before making judgements about other people. The film glosses over the genuine cultural differences between black and white communities. They do exist, though are generally minimal among people of the same socioeconomic class. This isn't really important except to those who feel this kind of thing has been done to death over the last three decades. Even they will find plenty to enjoy in "Remember the Titan's". There's plenty of humor and action (some really tough looking football plays). There is also one truly amazing performance, that of Hayden Panettiere as Cheryl Yost. Hayden is TOTALLY convincing as Will Patton's football-obsessed daughter. She's also spunky, charming and strong-willed. There's nothing bitchy about this little girl. You believe she could tear your head off if she put her mind to it. Yet, She still manages to be very feminine and cute. As I said, a truly amazing performance.

This movies a keeper. I'll probably pull this one out about once a year just to lift my spirits.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sports film with a sentimental story and agreeable character studio
ma-cortes23 August 2007
This excellent film based on a true event is set in the early 70s and concerns a trainer (Denzel Washington) along with with his wife (Nicole Ari Parker) and family . He replaces a famed coach (Will Patton) and gets a chance working as a coach at a town (Alexandria , Virginia) , in the High school football team formed by diverse characters (Ryan Hurst, Donald Faison , Suplee, Kip Pardue, Ryan Gosling , among others) and facing the dual challenge of bringing the team to the state championship and redeeming themselves by breaking racial barriers . The coach makes the team , and each person in it , better than they thought possible . The picture is seen through the eyes of the football team where the man hired to coach the Black school is made head coach over the highly successful white coach .

This enjoyable tale with a classic plot deals about a slice of American history, and is plenty of good feeling , heartfelt , interesting characters and formidable performances . Based on the real events of 1971 , the team becomes the unifying symbol for the community as the boys and the adults learn to depend on and trust each other , thanks to an enjoyable coaching . However , being sometimes extremely sentimental and predictable , but still pretty entertaining. Exceptional Denzel Washington giving a first-rate acting reaching an important milestone and terrific Will Patton in the role of assistant, they are backed by a phenomenal support cast formed by young actors with a great future and to have a wide career , as a little girl finely performed by Hayden Panettiere , today well known for ¨Heroes¨ and especially Ryan Gosling . It contains a spectacular and sensitive musical score by Trevor Ravin and colorful cinematography by Philippe Rousselot . The story follows the wake of previous sports films hits, just like : ¨Rudy¨ and ¨Hoosiers¨ (David Anspaugh) . The motion picture was well directed by Boaz Yakin , he's a notorious writer (Rookie , Punisher) , producer (Hostel I, II) and director (Fresh , Uptown girls) . Rating : Better than average , worthwhile seeing.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More Than a Football Movie
view_and_review2 January 2021
I can't say it enough, I love football and I love football movies. I've rarely seen a bad football movie. If I were to make a list of my favorite football movies "Remember the Titans" would be at the top, closely followed by "Friday Night Lights."

RTT differs from most sports movies in that we weren't dealing with a plucky group of guys who had no business being on the field, but miraculously come together and win. These guys were good, but could they get along long enough to play together as a team?

The year was 1971 and Alexandria, Virginia's TC Williams High School was formed as a combination of the city's segregated White and Black high schools. Like many southern cities, Alexandria was very resistant to the 1954 Brown v. Topeka Board of Education decision that made segregated schools illegal. They waited seventeen years to integrate and I'm sure it was not by choice. Part of their new restructuring was to give a head coaching position to a Black head coach. They chose Coach Herman Boone (played by Denzel Washington) to bump Coach Bill Yoast (Will Patton). There was already going to be tension for the forced integration, so what more when an accomplished head coach is being bumped out of his position?

Two better coaches couldn't have been chosen. I don't mean that they were the best X's and O's men in the game, I mean that their personalities were uniquely suited for the situation they were put in. Coach Boone was strong willed, bullheaded, and good at coaching. He'd have to be all of that to command the respect of his coaches and his players. Coach Yoast was selfless, agreeable, and integritous enough to not sabotage Coach Boone as he could have.

RTT started with the team's training camp preseason where Coach Boone wanted to not only make them good players, but he wanted to make them a team. I couldn't appreciate this starting point more. Many sports movies start somewhere midseason and have a team make this phenomenal turn around. RTT showed all the hard work that goes into making a good team well before they play a single game. Coach Boone pushed those guys to the brink and he was indiscriminate in his demands. He was trying to make a winning team. As he said, even if they didn't love each other, they were going to respect each other.

The two alpha males on the team and the bitterest about the whole situation were Julius Campbell (Wood Harris) and Gerry Bertier (Ryan Hurst). If they could get along, then just maybe the rest of the team would follow suit.

It was no walk in the park and things didn't just fall into place. There was years of history acting as a dutiful guard of the old order. There was unbridled hostility and an entire community wanting to keep things status quo. RTT doesn't shy away from the hurt, the pain, the anger, and the ignorance--and I think it's a better movie for it. They could've glossed right over the painful parts of the past and celebrated a victorious team, but the movie showed that past and how a community, a school, and a team got past it.

RTT is more than a football movie. Sure, the football team was the focus, but it was the vehicle for showing a greater lesson. It was about sacrifice, about learning from mistakes, learning from each other, and loving one another. Ultimately, it was about transcending differences and coming together, and all the good that can result from togetherness.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Football's answer to "Hoosiers"
helpless_dancer19 October 2001
Similar to "Hoosiers" but a totally different story just the same. Washington was perfect as the hard nosed coach dedicated to winning. His efforts to bring the players together as a unit and the boys attitudes toward him and each other made for a very good drama. I foretold the ending, plus the picture contained some corny scenes, but I still give it a high rating.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A typical American spectacle
philip_vanderveken8 June 2005
It certainly wasn't the sport shown in this movie that made me decide to give it a try. I don't know anything about American Football and it's probably one of the least known sports over here, because we only get to see something of it once a year: when the Superbowl is on. So that didn't do it for me, but what made me decide to watch it was the fact that Denzel Washington played an important role in it.

He's coach Herman Boone, a newly appointed African-American football coach who will have to lead a high school football team in Virginia, during the early 70's. Racism is still the norm and even though the school has been recently mixed under federal mandate, integration is far from reality. Many white players even threaten to sit out until he is replaced by a white coach. But he doesn't give up that easily and during a training camp, he learns the white and black players how to get along. In the end they all become friends and it's that bond that will get them through the season undefeated. But when the captain of the team gets injured in a car accident, just before the state championship, they will have to prove that they can adapt and that they still can win the match...

True stories have always been a great source of inspiration for Hollywood, but personally I can't name too many of these movies that I really liked. The main reason for that is that they are almost always preachy and as sweet as syrup. "Remember the Titans" doesn't completely get caught in that trap, but isn't really able to avoid it either. Or wouldn't you call a movie that shows a coach, who goes with his team to one of the greatest battlefields on the American continent, while giving away a speech about team spirit, fighting for each other and things like that, not preachy??? I certainly do, but I'm glad that not everything about the movie was like that.

The acting for instance was OK. You can't expect anything less than OK from a man like Denzel Washington of course, but most of the other actors did a nice job too, even though most of them were complete strangers to me. The direction too isn't bad. Again, Boaz Yakin is a complete stranger to me, but what he has done with this movie could have been a lot worse. OK, there is nothing exceptional, original or daring about it, but he knows the conventions of the genre and has followed them rule by rule.

All in all I must say that this wasn't the worst movie about sports. OK, it will never be in my list of favorite movies, but there are worse ways to spend your time. I'm sure that it will be loved by the American audience, especially the young males, because this is one of those typical American spectacles. But even the others might give it a try. I did and wasn't completely convinced, but also not entirely disappointed by it. That's why I give it a score in between a 6.5/10 and a 7/10.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No matter if you're black or white, watch this and enjoy
rioksane-0295019 December 2020
Just watched the movie for the first time. Donald Faison has been puffing it so long in his Scrubs-podcast with Zach Braff. Daaamn I am glad I did!

The movie takes place in 2020 USA. No, wait, its the 70's? Oh well, seems pretty timeless anyway. Which is too bad. Everyone should watch this movie right now.

Remember the Titans is very entertaining, moves fast from one obstacle to overcoming it to the next one. It's fun, it has heart, the characters are memorable and the action on the football field is frantic.

The cast is phenomenal. Everyone does a great job, but I would higlight Hayden Panettiere, Donald Faison, Ethan Suplee, Ryan Hurst and of course Will Patton and Denzel himself. Especially Hayden steals every scene she's in.

Wonder why the director Boaz Yakin hasn't done any more hit movies, but here he pulls it off. Also writer Gregory Allen Howard only has couple of movie credits. Anyway, good work.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Easter Story
lastliberal16 April 2006
Of course, I had seen it before, but to re-watch Remember the Titans on Good Friday was appropriate. Some may call it sacrilegious to compare the resurrection of Jesus to the resurrection of a Virginia town through football, but I see the Easter story in this movie. The self-importance exhibited by the Pharisees and the resulting hatred of those different, was no different from the hate exhibited by the town fathers in Virginia. The insistence of brotherhood by the coach, as played magnificently by Denzel Washington, resulted in a rebirth of the town - a resurrection from the hatred that blinded, and sometimes still blinds, the sons of the Old South. None of us is perfect, but we can all come together and form a perfect society. That was the vision of Jesus and the vision of our forefathers. Remember the Titans reminds us of what we can accomplish if we try - and if we try with love.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent but the best the genre has to offer? I really don't think so!
Boba_Fett113811 January 2009
I'm actually quite fond of sports movies, no matter how predictable they always are. I'm also a bit fond of American Football and occasionally watch a match on TV. I even watch the Super Bowl, even though it gets aired literally in the middle of the night for me, till early in the morning.

So this movie sounds like a perfect one for me to watch, since it features ingredients that I like. I really wasn't impressed with the movie though. It lacked a bit of everything, making it just a bit too much to regard this movie as an above average one. It lacked in good sports moment, it lacked in character development and it lacked in overall credibility, even though the movie in essence got based on a true story and real-life persons.

For an movie focusing on American Football it surely is missing some good match sequences. During the matches you hardly ever see any wide-shots, making it hard to figure out how the game is progressing and what exactly is going on and who is doing what. It's not remotely as adrenaline pumping all as portrayed in some other and much better movies, involving American Football.

But of course American Football is not the main essence of the movie. It's all about the racial issues. The movie is set in the early '70's and focuses on the State's first racial mixed Football high school team. Of course in the beginning they have difficulties working as a team together at first and the different groups don't accept and respect each other. I don't think I need to say how this is changing in the movie though later on and how the story is progressing. That's one of the difficulties of the movie. It's formulaic and predictable. Not just the story but also the different characters and their reactions toward each other. Basically every character within this movie is one big stereotype.

This brings me to another problem of the movie; It's characters. Because it's all so predictable and because the characters are such stereotypes you'll also feel hardly involved with any of them. The movie besides really doesn't feature the best character development I have ever seen in a movie.

Nevertheless they are still being somewhat made interesting by the actors that are portraying them. The movie has some big names in it, such as Denzel Washington and Will Patton. It besides feature some new faces, that are now some well known established actors, such as Kip Pardue, Hayden Panettiere (as an 10-year old in her toughest role out of her career yet), Kate Bosworth and Ryan Gosling. Denzel Washington is especially great, like always.

The movie is a bit too short though. Sequences often feel rushed and lots of things are taking for granted, just to keep the movie going at all times. This is of course also something typical for a Jerry Bruckenheimer production but in this particular case it doesn't help the movie much. They could had easily resolved this by just letting the movie be like 15 minutes longer.

It's also a pretty 'clean' movie. It's a Disney produced movie, so there are no swearing characters, no sleeping around with the cheerleaders and the movie is heavy on its themes and morals, such as acceptance and team work. A supposedly homosexual character and a real fat and slight backward guy are almost immediately being accepted into the group of tough pride, athletic, all-American youngsters. A makes the movie just a bit too 'clean' and therefore at the same time also really not the most credible movie around.

It's overall a maintaining movie that is certainly watchable, with a fine style and acting performance. But it's also a real lacking and far from perfect one, in more than a couple of ways.

2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quite enjoyable even if it is corny and rather derivative
bob the moo13 February 2005
When segregation comes to an end TC Williams High School is created by the combination of an all-black school with an all-white school and, for political reasons, the white head coach Bill Yoast is replaced by black coach Herman Boone. This obviously causes a lot of conflict within he team and it is only to protect his white players that Yoast decides to stay on as the defensive coach. When the players go to training camp the conflicts are everywhere and Boone's first job is to bring the team together.

Usually when movie premieres come onto terrestrial television they are trailed big time and are put in plum spots; so when this film was simply dumped into the daytime schedules at Christmas time I feared the worst and, for that reason, didn't get round to watching it until February. As with many films, there is plenty of good in it but it is dented a bit by its weaknesses. As you would expect it to be, this is a simple story of race conflict being resolved within a group of youths who then become a winning team and, in the telling, it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary. Now that is not to look down on the real story behind the film but the film itself cannot help but spoil it by always going for the easy clichés, the simple and corny bonding moments that summarise a difficult journey and, whenever possible, sticking in some mighty, swelling music to make sure we all understand how emotional that particular moment is.

What this does is reduces the true story of a turbulent time to the level of melodrama and, while I admit it would have been hard to do it any other way, it cannot help but damage the film a little. However despite this it is still quite enjoyable and those that can forgive its self-indulgence will find much to like about it. However for me it was hard to get past the corn and I was only able to see an average sports movie with a core of a "lets understand each other" storyline. The sports stuff is OK but never gripping and the characters are a touch too generic to be really involving. It is fortunate then that the performances are mainly reasonably good, certain good enough to keep the film lively and watchable. Washington delivers a good performance even if it lacks any subtlety or edge to it; likewise Patton is right out of the playbook and does what is expected of him. The support cast have some good performances and some corny performances but generally they all do well enough to match the tone of the film.

Overall this is an OK film that is quite enjoyable but doesn't do anything special. While having enough to involve and just about entertain, the film still suffers from being overly melodramatic, corny and loaded with moments that come across as rather clichéd. If you can accept this then it is a good film, otherwise it is just an OK one that will grate on you occasionally.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't believe I didn't see it sooner
UniqueParticle10 January 2019
A very delightful, well filmed, great soundtrack & phenomenal movie about football! I love the cast, I praise this because of the era & style is my favorite; that's about all I can say - I hope everyone can enjoy this masterpiece.
Remember?
ljw100411 February 2001
Remember the Titans? I've forgotten them already.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.