Remember the Titans (2000) Poster

Love this movie!
QueenMakeda8415 March 2003
How great was this movie? I fell in love with it from being made to watch it in Health class in 11th grade. I love films about adversity within races, and this movie was a classic. Herman Boone has to bring blacks and whites together for a highschool football team to play with each other. Of course, it's the 70's and racism is still rampant. I love the message that people will mesh anyway despite outside complications. Julius' and Gerry's relationship was really profound and special. It crossed a lot of lines. Denzel was remarkable as Coach Boone. He took no crap, yet was scared to lose his position underneath. There was tension everywhere and it worked for the film. The players were really memorable to me. Blue, Rev, Sunshine, Petey, and Louie Lastik were adorable and hilarious. A great ensemble cast effort. The guy who played Yoast was good as well, because he had to learn to overcome prejudices he had that he never knew he did. Even better, was the fact that it's a true story which makes it all the more sweet. I watch this movie over and over and can practically say every line by heart. Great, great film. The Titans really were greater than the gods of Greek myth, and these guys were greater than any stereotype.
104 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TOUCHDOWN!!!!!
Brogan29 September 2000
By looking at REMEMBER THE TITANS you are probably saying "oh geeze, another football movie. How can this one be any better than the last one? The only good recent football film is RUDY." Well, after seeing this film, you'll be taken by surprise, just like I was.

In 1971, in Alexandria, Virginia, the town's high school football team, the T.C. Williams Titans, are very popular. T.C. Williams High School current football coach, Coach Yoast (Will Patton), is nominated for high school Hall of Fame. But a few weeks before the start of the school year, a white store owner shoots and kills a black man who was suspected in stealing a product. This causes a racial seperation between blacks and whites in Alexandria. Then just before the start of the football season, Coach Yoast gets demoted to Assistant Coach in place of Coach Boone (Denzel Washington). What's bad is that Boone is black, and Yoast is white. Most of the town's residents are angry, and even some of the players are willing to ruin their football career's to quit the team to make a statement. But at the start of football camp, Coach Boone won't take any racial diversity. Boone treats all of his players equally, he has his football camp practices appear to be a mixture between boot camp and group sessions. If the player misses catching a football, he has to run a mile. If the player doesn't know anything about the person of the opposite color that they are rooming with, they have homework to get to know one another. With this, it creates a special bond between these men. Men who act more mature and humane, unlike most of the residents of Alexandria. But when Coach Boone and Coach Yoast prove that the Titans are a winning team, the issue of race is erased and the true meaning of teamwork is born.

The way to make a great sports movie is to have it be adapted from a true life story. Like PRIDE OF THE YANKEES, HOOSIERS, and RUDY, all are films that show that what appears to be a sport, is the true triumph of the human spirit. I really did enjoy the characters in the film, since they are factual, they have very humanistic qualities. While one loves to hum "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," another gets excited while listening to "Act Naturally." And although you can guess what happens in the end, you don't care. You enjoy and like the character's so much that you are cheering for them.

I highly enjoyed the acting in this film. I think if Denzel Washington should get his long overdue Oscar for Best Actor, it should be for this film. He teaches his team that black or white, these men are a team, and that the only way to win is teamwork. Washington gives a bravura performance, that it will stun the people who think that Washington usually plays "racist" roles. I also enjoyed Will Patton a lot, he's not playing the cliche coach who gets demoted, and wants to ruin the new head coach. Instead, he understands the message that Boone is giving to the team that he helps as much as he can to help the team succeed. I thought Patton's role is the best assistant coach role that I have seen since Dennis Hopper's role in HOOSERS. And the football players are also great, the ones I thought stood out were: Preston Brant (Jerry Buck, the team's captain), Donald Adensun (Petey, the team's running-back), Kip Perdue (Sunshine, the team's quarterback), Craig Kirkwood (Rev, the team's defense player), and Ethan Suplee (Lastik, the team's leading defense, and by his size, he should be!) I was glad to see Suplee change his roles in his career. The last time I remember seeing him, he was the vicious skinhead along with Edward Norton and Patrick Furlong in AMERICAN HISTORY X. In REMEMBER THE TITANS, he's the exact opposite, he's the first white player who makes friends with the black players!!!

Director Boaz Yakin and producer Jerry Bruckheimer should be commended for this film.

I am pleased to see Jerry Bruckheimer made a really enjoyable and intellectual film, which is the complete opposite of the type of films that he's famous for. In fact I think this is the first one intellectual film Bruckheimer has made! The message that it sends out is really powerful, and if it doesn't convince you to change, then you are probably dead. And director Boaz Yakin does a fantastic job with this film, that along with Cameron Crowe, Wolfgang Petersen, and Ridley Scott, he should be nominated best director.

This is quite a film, in fact, I think this is the best football movie that I have ever seen! I really really enjoyed this film, and as I left it led me to believe in the message that this film was sending to it's audience. And this being only "PG" and put out by Walt Disney Pictures, I would love to see both junior high schools and high schools to show this film to it's students. If they did, then chances are, the violence in schools will go down. And it took Jerry Bruckheimer, Boaz Yakin, and Walt Disney Pictures to do it. Great job guys! Don't miss this enjoyable film! ***** (out of five)
92 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inspiration
MattyMugan19 July 2006
If their is ever a film to watch to get motivated, it's this. You don't have to be an American football lover, just any sport, or activity. The passion displayed on the screen could get Sven Goran Eriksson in the mood. Their are particular inaccuracies in order to make this into more of a film, but I wouldn't call it predictable. This is based on a true story, and the 13 and 0 record really happened, so this true story was what created the predictable film stereotype. I love the choice of actors in the film. Each person seems to be able to tap in to the feelings of their character, which creates a much more realistic film. It depicts the nature of racism within peoples lives very well and shows how common loves for different things can pull people together so that simple and wrong beliefs are forgotten. Needless to say this film makes me feel better about the world, while making me want to be a winner as well.
51 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A powerful inspirational film
Ree5930 January 2005
Remember the Titans is much more than a story about a high school football team. It is a true story about two men who overcome their differences and help an entire town deal with frustration, anger, and mistrust. Herman Boone (Denzel Washington) is the head coach of the football team at the black high school while Bill Yoast (Will Patton) is the head coach of the football team at the white high school. In 1971 the high schools are integrated and Coach Boone is chosen to become the head coach of the football team while Coach Yoast is demoted to assistant coach.

Remember the Titans is a powerful film with incredible performances by both Denzel Washington and Will Patton.
81 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remember this movie
MichaelOates10 March 2004
"Remember The Titans" is one of the two best films to have a chance to win an oscar for best picture.

Denzel Washington leads a cast that is young, fresh, talented and determined to make this movie a success. "Remember The Titans" is laced with strong performances from Will Patton, Ryan Hurst, Wood Harris, Donald Faison and Greg Alan Williams.

Based on a true story "Remember The Titans" follows the 1971 T.C. Williams High School Titans football team and their struggles with integration. Washington is Herman Boone, who has run up against racism after he has been brought in to coach the Titans. Patton is Bill Yoast, the man Boone replaced as head coach.

Washington and Patton are just two pieces of the puzzle, which makes "Remember The Titans" a real gem. However, the strength and real beauty of "Remember The Titans" does not come from Washington or Patton, but the Titan football players because they are the ones who give the strongest performances in the film.

I must say that the best performance of the whole movie other than Washington and Patton is the young actress who portrayed Bill Yoast's daughter, Hayden Panitierre. In "Remember The Titans" this young actress single handidly made it worth watching this film. Her talent shines through and her presence on screen is as fresh as the daily air; furthermore, every time she is on screen she sparkles. It is so pleasurable to see talent like this being discovered.

I hesitated to see "Remember The Titans" because I didn't want to see another football film, but it is more than just another football film.

"Remember The Titans" is a special film that has special performances and is well worth every dollar you spend to rent this film.
87 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exceptional movie
jackjack-213 March 2006
Being a former white athlete and coach I am sick of sports movies where the story involves a team eventually winning a championship so I passed this one by when it first came out. Big mistake!! Like "Hoosiers" this one was an exception and what an exception. Remember the Titans is in my top five movies of the past ten years. Denzel Washington, as the coach, gave another of his consistently outstanding performances.

Like "Hoosiers" this is a true story and it is not just a story about sports but a strong story about race. I probably appreciated it more than most because of my background I connected to the movie. During the 1940s I attended schools which were well integrated and students of different races and cultures existed harmoniously. To a large degree, it was because the high school had a very successful football program in which unlike almost all of the other schools, minority athletes were welcome. In my junior year we went undefeated and won the State Championship and the team is still considered the best high school team of all time. The only time the team came close to defeat was in the State final when we played another well integrated team.

Consequently the community while generally middle and upper class except for its minorities was well integrated. As a result although I knew racism existed, I never encountered it in my community. But then I began to see its ugly head. First, the All-American end on our team, a superb athlete, was denied scholarships both to USC and Stanford because neither school accepted minorities. I had always wanted to go to USC but because of what USC did to my friend I turned down its offer of a scholarship the next year as I did to Stanford which I considered a snob school then as I do today.

But my college was cut short when the Korean War began and I was in the service. I was sent to bases in the South and I spent much of the next thirteen years in the South witnessing how bad it was for the blacks and I was involved in the civil rights movement in the South which got me into a lot of trouble with my military superiors.

During my tours in the South I became head coach of a football team at a Southern base. Filled with ex-collegiate stars and some pros, we regularly played Division I colleges and universities. However, because I had black players on my team I couldn't schedule games with any white southern colleges. Instead we scheduled one black college and several state universities in the mid-west.

Some critics have compared the summer camp at which Washington as Coach Boone brought the blacks and whites together as a team as like a Marine Boot Camp but everyone missed the subtlety of this. I went through Boot Camp at a time when the military was just integrating and we had southern blacks and whites as well as a mix of races from other parts of the country in my platoon as well as all classes. It didn't take very long for us to become as one unit. The first part of boot camp is sure hell and the reason for it is that it reduces everyone to the lowest common denominator of misery and you quickly learn that the only way to escape that misery is to work together. This is just the way Coach Boone made it work.

What I liked about this movie is that it showed how all this played out. Most moviegoers today are not really aware of how bad racism was in 1971 but this movie illustrates it well. Even though the movie has a few corny moments and the actors playing the roles as football players look old for high school, these faults are minimal and do not detract from the power of the film.
94 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Light, but effective
Boheme9726 May 2005
This movie received a lot of criticism for being a little too "light" in it's depiction of racism in that time period. However, the fact that Disney decided to take on the topic at all astounds me. I think that this movie is incredibly effective and an excellent football movie. It really sucks you into these characters and make you feel for them. I am emotionally affected by this film no matter how many times I've seen it, and I think that this movie will stand up over time as one of the most endearing sports classics of all time.

Quote that i believe defines the movie: "I don't care if you like each other, but you will respect each other. And maybe, I don't know, maybe we can learn to play this game like men."

My personal favorite: "I don't want them to gain another YARD, you blitz all night! They cross the line of scrimmage I swear to God I'm going to take every one of you out. You make sure they remember FOREVER, the night they played the Titans."
46 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding movie
lkbrown4 October 2002
This movie is more than just about football, race relations and integration. The lead characters excellently portray the human spirit, showing that everyone can overcome not just on the field but also in life. The ending is predictable, but it draws you in with the intense emotion to win both on and off the field.
40 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feel good movie from Disney
jhaggardjr1 October 2000
"Remember the Titans" is a movie that by the end of seeing it makes you feel good. And why shouldn't it? You would figure that it'll be a nice little picture since it comes from the Walt Disney Company, and I think it's perfect for the whole family. "Remember the Titans" is a comedy-drama based on the true story of a high school in Virginia that is integrated with white and black students, white and black teachers, and white and black athletic coaches. Oscar winner Denzel Washington gives another one of his fine performances as the new head coach of the high school football team, and Will Patton is equally good as the current head coach who is now demoted to assistant coach under Washington. Together they try to get their players of both races to get along and put on a winning team. In addition to Washington and Patton, there are some other terrific performances by the young actors who portray the football players. I see some future stars here. The movie has plenty of dramatic moments with some delightful comedy thrown in the middle of it. It obviously gets a little predictable towards the end which keeps "Remember the Titans" from being a perfect movie. But so what? This is a sports movie and usually sports movies almost always ends with "the big game". Who's going to win that big game? I won't say who wins the big game in "Remember the Titans", but in the end you'll be rooting for the Titans to win, win, win! And that's all that matters. Bottom line: "Remember the Titans" is an excellent film, very well made and very well acted by everyone involved.

***1/2 (out of four)
57 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In Greek mythology, the Titans were greater even than the gods.
Spikeopath31 July 2009
SPOILER: Based on real events in 1971, where T.C. Williams High School, a now hot bed integrated school, becomes a beacon of unification via their mixed race football team.

As is normally the case with films of this ilk, it quickly comes to pass that certain artistic licence has been taken with the truth. In reality the issues of race, integration and the near powder-keg atmosphere portrayed in the picture, were long past their worst in Virginia 1971. However, that should in no way detract from the thematics and truthful aspects of this Disney production. As is told in the film, the Titans did have what became known as the perfect season, whilst the bond formed between the black and white members most definitely existed. All told, the film soars high as an inspirational piece, not only for the mixed race community coming together plot's essential being, but in the crucial tale of one Gerry Bertier.

That this film urged me to seek out the story of Bertier is a testament to the power of film, regardless of any sort of sentimental prodding from the film makers. It's hoped that this film also prompts newcomers to research further the topics within the story.

The cast list is impressive, Denzel Washington and Will Patton find instant chemistry as the head coaches thrust together by outside influences, with both guys beautifully doing credit to the real life friendship that would be born from the situation. Ryan Hurst, Wood Harris, Ethan Suplee, Donald Faison, Kip Pardue, Craig Kirkwood and a pre-fame Ryan Gosling fill out the integrated football team. With two important family roles nicely portrayed by Hayden Panettiere and Nicole Ari Parker. The soundtrack is nicely put together, with the core offering of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's thumping rendition of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" particularly potent and uplifting.

Though not primarily offering up anything new in the pantheon of race and sport related movies, Remember The Titans does have so much good going for it. It's hard to be picky, even churlish about the little faults (are these actors really the age of high schoolers for example?). So hopefully come the end, after the credits roll, you will be suitably inspired, and perhaps a touch more better off for having spent time with this particular football team. 8.5/10
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
denzel at his best
A_Different_Drummer30 November 2013
Other reviewers here have covered the backstory, the direction, the production, and just about everything there is to cover for this excellent and unforgettable film. Except for one thing. It is a peculiarity of the film business that some actors peak early, for no obvious reason, and others just keep on going, like the Energizer rabbit. Michael Caine -- excuse me SIR Caine -- has been making movies for decades. Sometimes he is brilliant and sometimes he is not. Samuel L. Jackson has been in so many movies that (to this reviewer) it seems like the writers have reached the point where they no longer bother naming a character, they just pencil in the margins that they have written a part for Jackson. Denzel, who was beyond brilliant here, it is so hard to imagine anyone else doing this role with the conviction and the diction that is his trademark, seems to have stopped doing these sorts of parts (written in 2013) and frankly, more's the pity. Hollywood is like that. So on top of all the other excellent reasons to see and enjoy this film, here is one more. Denzel at his peak. What more can I say?
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A GREAT MOVIE
geotchak15 March 2003
Remember the Titans was touching, uplifting, inspiring, motivating, and triumphant. It will make you cry at parts, laugh at parts, "goose pimples" will appear on your arms at parts, it will also make you cheer out loud from your seat! A must see.
31 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remember the Titans is Awful
bryaninmaryland19 April 2008
This movie is more extremely annoying. In 1971, I was in 10th grade at Washington-Lee High School in Arlington County, Virginia. We were about 5 miles from T. C. Williams (Titans) and we played them regularly in every sport (including track, which was my sport). I have personal knowledge of the events in that film. First of all, the idea that T. C. Williams had just been integrated is incorrect. Schools in the area had been integrated for 15 years. By 1971, it was routine to have blacks and whites in the same school. Come look at my yearbooks and I'll show you. What happened at T. C. Williams was this: the Alexandria school system decided to change the status of three schools..........Hammond HS, George Washington HS, and T. C. Williams HS. Hammond was reduced to a junior high, and its students were sent to Williams. GW was closed and its students were sent to Williams. Everyone in the ENTIRE AREA knew that Alexandria had just created a super sports school and it was true. With the best athletes from three schools combined into one, there was no beating T. C. Williams. We played them in football that year and they beat us about 49-0, but it sure as hell had nothing to do with integrating a school and everything about creating a super school. Next, the idea that Alexandria was a small, backward town with rampant racial prejudice is laughable. Alexandria is a MAJOR suburb of Washington, DC. You can stand in Alexandria, look across the Potomac River, and see the Washington Monument, Capitol Hill, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, etc. It was and is a rich suburb of DC, and racial prejudice was about as far from being mainstream as I am from marrying Miss America. In my school, the white kids were afraid of the black kids. We didn't initiate fights, we tried hard to avoid them, but sometimes they were forced upon us by angry groups of students who roamed the halls and you sure as hell better look out if you didn't cringe to the side and let them pass. There is one scene in the movie where a white football coach calls the T. C. Williams coach a "monkey" on local TV. Good Lord.........that sort of thing would NEVER have been put on a Washington, DC sports channel and that is where ALL the channels received in northern Virginia originated (with the exception of channel 20 which had no news at that time). The people who made this movie had an agenda. I know the facts. I was there. I ran track in that T. C. Williams stadium and they beat the hell out of us because they were a super school. It is both sad and annoying that people will watch this movie and believe that how things are portrayed is actually how they were. They absolutely were not!
44 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Titans were mightier than the Gods of ancient Greece.
michaelRokeefe20 November 2000
A very good and very well written story about integration of a high school football team in Virginia. In 1970, segregation ended and a championship football team takes on a whole different complexion. Herman Boone(Denzel Washington)becomes the head coach of a team that already has an acclaimed coach played by Will Patton, who stays on as assistant for the good of the team. The blacks and whites work hard to overcome differences and keep the team in winning caliber. The team teaches the towns folk how to come together.

I was hoping for more football scenes, but this actually turned out to be a character drama. Based on a true story, this movie leaves you feeling good and somewhat proud. The most unrealistic thing about this movie to me was the absence of swearing that is usually associated with sports and teenagers. This film comes from the Disney stables and earns all accolades on its own merits.

Many stand outs in the cast featuring: Wood Harris, Kip Pardue, Craig Kirkwood, Donald A. Faison and Ethan Suplee.
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I remember
harry_tk_yung18 February 2005
Although it was quite a few years ago when I watched Remember the Titan the first time, I do remember how good it is. When it came on TV, I wouldn't want to miss it, even when it came with the commercial interruptions. It was just as good the second time around, and there are new discoveries. For example, the first time I saw it, Ron Gosling (The Believer, Murder by Numbers, The Notebook) had not yet proved to be such a good actor.

What attracted me to the movie was the football, set around the time Joe Nameth took the Jet's through its most glorious season in snatching the Superbowl from the heavily favoured Baltimore Colts. But this is college football. In the movie, in a vital game when the opponents tried a shotgun, someone in the Titans quipped, "Who do they think they are? The New York Jets?" While the movie seems to concentrate on the Titan's defence, it was just a little before the time when the Minnesota Viking's defence, the "purple gang", became legendary. But then the Titans set an example for the NFL to follow, they had a "perfect" season, a feat the Miami Dolphins repeated in the NFL a few years later.

But this is more than football. It is a wonderful movie about racial harmony, uplifting, feel-good and touching. As one commenter so beautifully puts it, let the cynics sit out on the sidelines on this one, and groan about clichés and all that. This is a movie that will warm your heart, and don't let futile vanity cheat you out of enjoying it.

Nor is the movie a fairy tale. It is based on a true story. It is also realistic. The camp is an isolated environment where wonderful things can be made to happen. The kids themselves understand this when the come back to the "real world", as one puts it. But then, through determination and good will, they bring these wonderful things into the real world.

Finally, anything with Denzel Washing in it is worth watching.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Soft, phony, and a HARD watch!
hnt_dnl27 March 2011
In the last decade, I've realized that perhaps the most difficult "genre" of movie to make work is the SPORTS movie! Not only are there only probably a handful of 'great' sports films in the history of cinema, there are really very few 'good' sports movies (relative to how many sports films that have been made). Really, the 1980s is the end of the era of even good sports movies (and most of them about baseball!). It was officially over and done with then.

All the so-called major sports flicks made in the last 10 years are pretty much formulaic and follow the same recipe: tell the tale of a bunch of downtrodden, undertalented (yet scrappy!) "brothers" who band together to pull off the impossible...win the big game! And I actually think that this film that I'm reviewing REMEMBER THE TITANS (2000) started this new trend of rather formulaic, soft-headed, cheesy sports movies of the last decade, which include WE ARE MARSHALL and GLORY ROAD, all of which were supposed to be "fact-based" movies. The problem with all these movies is that, while they may have gotten the very general details correct (character names, opponent mantres, era costumes, etc.), all these films fail where it really counts: character, dialogue, and story.

Set in a 1971 D.C. suburb and starring Denzel Washington (who really had gotten long in the tooth at this point in his career!) plays yet another typical in-your-face, take-no-junk, proud black man, a hodgepodge of pretty much all the characters he had played up to that point in his career, and it's annoying! Virtually all the characters in REMEMBER THE TITANS (including Washington) are all one-dimensional and cliché. The ever reliable Will Patton does his best to overcome a thankless role as the white assistant coach that Washington's character deposes (and pretty much runs over for the entire movie!); of course Patton's character turns out to be a closet liberal and completely understanding of the man who took HIS job from him! Hayden Pannietierre, as Patton's annoyingly spunky and super-smart daughter certainly shows talent for a child actor (at the time), but what kid in the history of the world has ever acted like this?! Then you have a bunch of nameless, one-note footballers and assistant coaches of both races who somehow learn to LOVE each other! The absolutely most annoying character was that faux-gay transfer surfer dude from California, who is one of the weirdest characters ever to grace the movie screen!

The only tolerable characters in the film are played by Ryan Hurst and Wood Harris as the prospective leaders of the white and black players and help bring them all together. Their personal relationship is actually authentic (thus the extra star!), but everything surrounding them is NOT! In real life (which this movie is supposed to be based on), even post 60s (1971 to be exact), I find it hard to believe that opposite races would have hated each other so vehemently at the start of the film, only to end up getting along so famously by the end of it, especially on a team that was literally FORCED to be together!
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lie that perverts the history it allegedly portrays and defames people
basilcourt11 August 2015
This film is one terrible lie. As with a handful of other reviewers here, I was also a victim of the TC juggernaut, having attended Groveton High School during that period. It was a joke to play TC in any varsity team sport: football, basketball, soccer... it didn't matter. Everyone knew that a school three times their size was going to destroy us -- the only question was how badly. They were never, ever, an underdog in any sport — to suggest otherwise is absolute bunk.

To add insult to injury, they changed the name of our team from the Tigers to the "Lions" (because they felt that Tigers was too close to Titans), and they depicted us as backwater hicks... which was laughable, since Groveton served Hollin Hills, the most intellectual and progressive community in the entire DC area, as well as other upper-middle class neighborhoods filled with career government professionals.

The problem, of course, is that Hollywood dreck like this becomes gospel to those who have no knowledge of the actual events. Rather than accept moral responsibility to make a film based on real life events reflect the truth, they purposefully pervert it to satisfy their biased fantasy and obliterate the historical record.

I wish I could give this grossly insulting film a negative rating, to help make up for those who have embraced it as heart-rending "truth", given that they know nothing about the events it claims to document.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sport film with sentimental story and agreeable studio characters
ma-cortes23 August 2007
This excellent film based on a true event is set in the early 70s and concerns about a trainer(Denzel Washington)along with with wife(Nicole Ari Parker)and family. He replaces a famed coach(Will Patton)and gets a chance job coaching a town(Alexandria,Virginia)High school football team constituted by diverse characters(Ryan Hurst,Donald Faison,Suplee,Kip Pardue,Ryan Gosling,among others) and face the dual challenge of bringing the team to the state championship and redeeming themselves my means of breaking racial barriers.The coach makes the team,and each person in it,better than they thought possible.

This enjoyable tale with classic plot deals about a slice of American history, and is plenty of good feeling,heartfelt,interesting characters and formidable performances.However,sometimes is some sentimental and predictable but is still pretty entertaining.Exceptional Denzel Washington with a first rate acting reaching an important milestone and terrific Will Patton in the role of assistant,they are backed by a phenomenal support cast formed by young actors with future and wide career,as a little girl fine performed by Hayden Panettiere,today well known by ¨Heroes¨.Spectacular and sensible musical score by Trevor Ravin and colorful cinematography by Philippe Rousselot.The story follows the wake of previous sports hits films,like are ¨Rudy and Hoosiers(David Anspaugh)¨.The motion picture is well directed by Boaz Yakin,he's a noted writer(Rookie,Punisher),producer(Hostel I,II) and director(Fresh,Uptown girls).Rating : Better than average,worthwhile seeing.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable but solid "feel good" football entertainment.
=G=21 March 2001
"Remember the Titans" tells about a black football coach (Washington) who transfers to an integrated high school where he's faced with turning black and white prejudices into teamwork and winning the state championship with a racially mixed team in a racially divided society. On the downside, "Titans" shows us nothing new, runs too long, gets too busy and is a journeyman production at best. On the upside, the film turns black and white issues into appropriate shades of gray, delivers lots of grid iron action, and waxes to a Rockyesque "feel good" conclusion. The fact that females scored this football flick higher (on IMDB.com) than males is telling.
17 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sentimental and Predictable
Faustus-613 May 2001
To say that Remember the Titans didn't stir some emotion in me would be a lie. Having been out of high school almost seven years, the scenes on the football field stirred that old burning desire to be back on the gridiron cleaning people's clocks and having that sweet taste of victory in my mouth (although that actually happened a lot less than I'd like to admit). And to see the way the two races forged friendships and integrated did cause a rush of emotion as well. However, by the end of this movie, I knew all too well that my emotions had been deliberately played with and that this was the entire point of the movie.

This film evokes the typical stereotypes of both a sports movie and a free-you-mind flick. The whites and blacks who play for the newly integrated Titans are hostile to each other at first, and then miraculously at football camp they all become friends. They are then met with the same prejudices they once shared when they return home, and the movie chronicles their struggles to remain friends as well as the rest of the communities fight to become more tolerant. It's a great message, but one that has been done before. Furthermore, it is such a formulaic account here that it's hardly worth the initial emotion it evokes.

On the field, the same formula (and this paragraph might be a spoiler, but then again, I'm sure you can already determine the outcome). The Titans face tough opponents but come together to defeat them all, and, on the last play of the game with only a prayer, they somehow manage to score the winning touchdown and take the state championship (gee, haven't we seen that 300,000 times before?).

If you like the emotional roller coaster ride, then this is your movie. If, like me, you tire of seeing the same formula plugged into movies with only the names of the characters different, then avoid this like the plague. All in all, when the emotions subside, I realized that this movie left a bitter aftertaste.

I give it a 3 out of 10.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a Slam Dunk
Hitchcoc27 February 2006
Racial prejudice is the pariah of our society. It permeates every avenue to making the world a fair place to live. It's not just American society either. It's in the North, the South, and everywhere overseas. Prejudice is counterproductive and ugly. This movie sort of pretends to rise above it. It's a feel good movie in some respects. While racism is at the center of the film, the answers are just a little too pat. It's just a little too easy. Granted, it's just a movie, but I wish it got a little more down and dirty. A trip to a training camp out of town and a lecture on the Gettysburg battlefield just wouldn't do it. Some of these kids are going to hold onto stuff their parents have driven into them a lot longer than this. Now all that said, I still enjoyed the film. The characterizations of Coach Boone and Coach Yoast are well drawn. They are both good men who love their players. They are both excellent role models. And the players and the game scenes are believable (although I am getting tired of every hit on the field sounding like a Buick hitting a concrete wall--this is happening in most football movies). The growth of Gary and the Rev is nicely done and we hope that it really happened that way. I enjoyed the two white guys who just kind of matter of factly walked into practice--Sunshine and Louis--who just wanted to play football. There are some kids out there who don't think about race very much. They are pretty naive, but they are charming. I loved when Louis hugged Coach Boone and told him he was going to college. That's a nice touch.

I could go on, but others have said so much already. It's a good action movie with nice human characters. It just gets a little simplistic at times and it needs to answer for that.
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Congratulations Bull Durham! You're no longer the most overrated sports movie!
superscal239 December 2005
Remember the Titans is one of the most contrived, audience insulting movies that has ever been made. Where to start with the things that suck about this movie.....

1.) Not all black people break into song every few minutes of their lives.

2.) Not all white people listen to country music.

3.) All state championships are not won on the final play.

4.) A team would not be running the ball with 20 seconds left in a game, risking a fumble. They would have just taken a knee and the game would be over.

5.) There were more than 8 songs released in the 1970's. Apparently, Hollywood never got that memo.

6.) The little girl. Enough said.

7.) The "transformation" of the Gerry character happened way too fast to make it realistic. Over the course of a 2 week football camp, he went from telling the coach he didn't need any of "them" on the defense, to being the main guy who brought the races together.

8.) Even without knowing the real story, you could see the car accident coming light years away.

9.) No football team would ever just throw guys into a game on defense in the 2nd half of the state championship game who had never played on defense previously.

10.) Awesome waste of Kate Bosworth. "Now that you've won some football games with both black and white players, I'm willing to shake your hand Julius." If only she had gone to the training camp. Then she'd understand it all so much better.

11.) Let's throw in a California hippie to show that white people can be discriminated against too. The audience will never see that coming.

12.) We're supposed to believe that the "Sunshine" character would actually doubt whether he should go into the game because he can't throw an option pitch??

13.) Way too many impassioned speeches about being "perfect" and this being "our time". I was afraid they might run out of music to score these scenes.

14.) Love the slow clap and standing ovation for Gerry's mother. Of course, the TV commentators would announce when she enters the stadium as well. By the way, did they really televise high school state championship games in 1971?

15.) Ryan Gosling's character giving up his spot to Petey because "Petey's just better coach".

16.) This whole racism thing is important and all, but I really wanted to make the Virginia high school sports hall of fame. Now that's some big time stuff right there.

17.) Let's use the white coach's trick play on the last play to show just how far these two men have come so they're winners in life as well as on the field.

18.) Apparently, every time a new player comes into a game, he makes a game changing great play within the first two plays that he's in there, propelling the team to an easy victory.

19.) Darn those crazy backup quarterbacks. They'll getcha every time. Can we see a movie where the starting QB gets hurt, and the season goes to hell because the backup QB sucks? There's your reality.

20.) And finally, what a great message the movie gives by showing how winning football games is the solution to all the world's problems. Want to end racism? Just win some football games.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie isn't very good.
avenger1125025 May 2010
I was slightly amused by Remember the Titans. The film is unrealistic in its portrayal of racism and prejudice in the 1970's. The sing-songy happiness of Disney ruined the film in its attempts to portray the prejudice and bigotry that existed then and still is ubiquitous today. As an example, Herman Boone didn't have a brick thrown through his window, it was a toilet. Disney added some useless things to the story in which I am referring to how they said Ronnie Bass was homosexual which in real life he wasn't and never has been. In fact he has a wife and kids. Even though the film was created by Disney, which was founded upon dreams, I say Disney overdid the fictionalization of the movie. The movie may be based upon a true story giving Disney the right to change it, but that doesn't give them the right to change it to the point that it is almost completely fiction. Disney said that the Titans played Marshall in the movie when in fact the Titans never played Marshall and really went against Andrew Lewis and won 27 to 0! The Titans only had one team put up a fight against them, in real life, and that was Woodrow Wilson during the playoffs where the score was 36 to 14 with the Titans being the winners. Gerry Bertier was crippled after the big game, not before. All schools were integrated, not just T.C. which Disney didn't say. This movie is contrived and tripe. I do not recommend this movie to anyone looking for a true story, but to people who want to see a movie with useless suspense. Like all movies made by Disney it has a happy, predictable ending that you won't remember. The only good thing I have to say about this is it has a wholesome, positive message, but I still say it is a waste of your time.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Inspiring, Entertaining and One Truly Amazing Performance
Bob-4514 May 2001
Although a mite too predictable, "Remember the Titans" is an inspiring and entertaining movie. The true story of the integration of a Virginia high school football team and the warm multicultural relationships which developed among the team members, staff and families, the film reminds us once again when working together in a common effort, one can find love and friendship in the most unlikely places. As the head coach, Denzel Washington uses military-style techniques which have been shown time and again to succeed in creating unity and team spirit among people from different backgrounds. Big surprise here. The film's most important lesson is for people to give each other enough respect and trust before making judgements about other people. The film glosses over the genuine cultural differences between black and white communities. They do exist, though are generally minimal among people of the same socioeconomic class. This isn't really important except to those who feel this kind of thing has been done to death over the last three decades. Even they will find plenty to enjoy in "Remember the Titan's". There's plenty of humor and action (some really tough looking football plays). There is also one truly amazing performance, that of Hayden Panettiere as Cheryl Yost. Hayden is TOTALLY convincing as Will Patton's football-obsessed daughter. She's also spunky, charming and strong-willed. There's nothing bitchy about this little girl. You believe she could tear your head off if she put her mind to it. Yet, She still manages to be very feminine and cute. As I said, a truly amazing performance.

This movies a keeper. I'll probably pull this one out about once a year just to lift my spirits.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remember the Titans indeed- promised to be a great film and it was
TheLittleSongbird7 January 2010
Rememmber the Titans is a wonderful film, compelling, compassionate, funny and often moving. It tells the story of a dedicated coach seen tackling the explosive combination of football and racial desegregation in 1970s America. The film is quite ambitious, but it not only really does pack an emotional punch but it does linger long into the memory and is several notches above sports movies I have seen. For one thing, it is slickly directed by Boaz Yakin, and benefits also from wonderful cinematography and a music score of sweeping grandeur, almost epic. Even better than any of these put together, is the marvellous lead performance of Denzel Washington that was worth an Oscar, it seems as though in every film I've seen of his he manages to give a compelling performance and this includes the underrated Cry Freedom. Will Patton matches him perfectly in a smooth, quiet and perhaps low key performance as his counterpart that isn't at all clichéd. Hayden Pannetiere also gives a fine performance, even though I didn't see how her character would ever overcome her differences with her sister. The script is extremely sharp and decisive, the editing is crisp and fast and the football parts are enough to pump up your adrenaline. The epilogue could bring tears to your eyes, as it is so beautifully put. All in all, wonderful film. 9/10 Bethany Cox
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.