The Crossing (TV Movie 2000) Poster

(2000 TV Movie)

Historically accurate, educational, entertaining
Buddah10662 March 2003
One of the best films I have seen on the American Revolution. It took the founding fathers and made them human. I thought Jeff Daniels did an excellent job portraying Washington as a man and a general. I have seen the film a number of times and have shown it to several groups of students. Both my students and I enjoy and learn from it.
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did you know that Washington crossed the Delaware three times.
pksky123 July 2004
I didn't either. This and many other interesting facts are revealed in this exciting and dramatic portrayal of General George Washington. It is basically a war drama played out with high realism. The temptation to reduce this piece of history to some kind of patriotic passion play is studiously resisted. Washington himself is played with real aplomb by Jeff Daniels. There are many excellent and gripping scenes of combat. I was surprised to learn that this was made for television. All in all it is a high quality movie good for casual entertainment and only spiced by the guarantee of some education too.

For some reason or another commenting on this movie requires at least ten lines. As much as I enjoyed it, there was nothing about it that suggest a comment with ten lines or more. Seven or less was plenty.
17 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well Done; A Must-See For American History Buffs
sddavis6329 March 2003
I won't vouch for the absolute historical accuracy of what gets portrayed here, but as one take on George Washington's attack on Trenton (the title refers to the crossing of the Delaware River for the attack) it works. Certainly not everything portrayed happened (how can one know exactly what went on over two hundred years ago) but the details of the crossing and the battle were accurate enough from what I know of U.S. history, and the movie itself was dramatic and held my attention from start to finish.

Kudos to Jeff Daniels, who offered a completely believable performance as Washington. Daniels is proving to be quite adept at these kinds of historical movies ("Gettysburg" leaps to mind, and of course now "Gods and Generals.") A good, if lesser known, supporting cast also made valuable contributions to this picture.

In short, I wouldn't use this as a source material for an essay on the Battle of Trenton, but I would certainly recommend it as a very good movie.

23 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intelligent and Engrossing
comquest11 January 2000
A&E's original motion picture, The Crossing, is an excellent historical drama starring Jeff Daniels in a remarkably human portrayal of General George Washington and the events that led up to the Battle of Trenton.

This story of the Delaware crossing is fast-paced and, along with the action, offers an intriguing look into the military strategy, decision-making and sheer desperation that drove the Revolutionary Army to its first great victory.

The Crossing may be a TV movie, but it would be equally at home in theaters. Well done, highly recommended viewing.
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific! Now I finally understand that famous painting...
nz man2 September 2001
From the first few minutes this film kept my attention. Even though viewers are bound to know what will happen in the end, this film nevertheless maintains the suspense and excitement. Most people would instantly recognize the famous painting of General Washington standing in the small boat crossing the river, and now finally I appreciate why this instant in time is so significant in American history. The shame of this movie is that probably so many people will pass it up just because it may appear boringly historical, when in fact it is an excellent film.
21 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of The Best Made-for-TV Movies
calfan17 September 2003
Excellent production with fine acting by Jeff Daniels as Washington. The rest of the cast is also very good. Daniels transformed the stern and stiff George Washington from portraits into the daring and inspiring leader he was. I am beginning to think of Jeff Daniels as being in the same class as Jeff Bridges and Chris Cooper; a true professional. The actual Battle of Trenton was portrayed accurately and serves to reinforce my gratitude for our Founders' courage and dedication to liberty. Jeff Shaara's account of the battle in his excellent book, The Glorious Cause, also depicts Washington as a gambler when the potential rewards justified the risk. I hope it is re-run soon but if you don't see it on TV, buy or rent it.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must see for true patriots
rfrauli25 December 2001
Too often we forget about our nations roots, this movie reminds us how fragile freedom can be. The story of how one man made such an impact on the future of America must be kept and retold for all times (as all great American stories should). If you're looking for great effects this may not be for you, if your looking to be grounded in your freedom and reminded of what it took to secure it, this is perfect for you. Just a snapshot of Gen. Washington's life, kudos to Jeff Daniels for taking this role.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent film that held my attention from the beginning.
nz man31 August 2001
Ever since I was a young school boy, I have seen the famous painting of General Washington crossing a river in a boat. Now I can appreciate just how significant this event is in the history of the USA. This film was a very pleasant surprise - one of the many 'sleepers' that never get much publicity (at least not here in NZ) but is in fact a quality film that is well worth watching.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply superb
mc385229 May 2000
This movie was simply superb. Howard Fast consistently writes excellent fast-moving scripts that film themselves. The movies rarely do justice to history while "The Crossing" succeeded, but this movie can be enjoyed purely as entertainment, a terrific action thriller. Not only did Jeff Daniels fully live up to his role as Father of his Country, but the entire cast was uniformly excellent. Seriously, this movie truly conveyed a sense of what it means to sacrifice and to fight for freedom.

I'd also like to mention the excellent work of Sebastian Roche, who gets my award as the most versatile actor with accents since Meryl Streep. Believe it or not, Roche's biography has him born in Paris, France. Yet in "The Crossing" he plays a Maine Yankee. In Merlin, he played Sir Gawain. In "Liberty", the documentary on the Revolution, he played the Marquis de Lafayette. Although his performance was thoroughly captivating and sometimes moving, I thought his French accent for Lafayette, a genuine hero after all, was so over the top that it verged on being offensive. I couldn't help but enjoy it, but wondered if I would take so kindly to it if I was French. If Roche is French, I sincerely commend him for playing the role with a true sense of humor. His work is so good that I hope he gets his breakout role.

P.S. If you want to see another great performance, check out Philip Seymour Hoffman as Captain Joseph Plumb Martin in "Liberty." He got plenty of kudos in "Magnolia" and did a good job in "Scent of a Woman." When I saw him getting raves in "Magnolia", I was not surprised and very pleased. Let me just add that in "Liberty," there are a lot of terrific performances that may never be acknowledged, but make that documentary one of the best, most-moving in terms of emotional impact that I have ever seen.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good historical drama
XRANDY21 December 2001
An interesting and fairly accurate portrayal of the events that led to the Reveloutionary Army's crossing of the Deleware River and subsequent victory at Trenton. Daniels does a good job, but his middle-brow demeanour lacks the artistocratic nature of Washington.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
George Washington crosses river Delaware to battle Hessian soldiers in Trenton
ma-cortes8 August 2012
1776, less than six months after the Declaration of Independence, the Continental Army is under the command of General George Washington (Jeff Daniels) , and his officers as Gen. Hugh Mercer (Roger Rees) and Col. John Glover (Sebastian Roché) . Then the army flees into Pennsylvania by seizing the only boats available .The army must cross the Delaware , the frontier between Pennsylvania and New Jersey , to a seemingly relentless battle at a small location , Trenton , being held only by a limited force of Hessian mercenaries.

This epic Telefilm has emotion , thrills, spectacular battles and based on historical deeds . Interesting plot about the dramatization of George Washington's perilous gamble of crossing the Delaware River and attacking the British forces at Trenton , based on a novel written by Howard Fast (Spartacus) who also written the teleplay .Good performance by main starring , Jeff Daniels , and memorable support cast plenty of known TV faces and mostly Canadian actors , such as Sebastian Roché , Roger Rees , Karl Pruner and Nigel Bennet . Evocative and glamorous cinematography by Rene Oshasi . Sensitive and appropriate musical score by Gary Chang . The motion picture was compellingly directed by Robert Harmon , a prestigious filmmaker of series and TV episodes and some movies as the successful The hitcher.

The picture was well based on historical deeds , adding more details , these are the following : In August 1776, British General William Howe launched a massive naval and land campaign designed to seize New York. The Continental Army under Washington engaged the enemy for the first time as an army of the newly independent United States at the Battle of Long Island, the largest battle of the entire war. The Americans were heavily outnumbered, many men deserted, and Washington was badly beaten. Subsequently, Washington was forced to retreat across the East River at night. Washington retreated north from the city to avoid encirclement, enabling Howe to take the offensive and capture Fort Washington on November 16 with high Continental casualties. Washington then retreated across New Jersey; the future of the Continental Army was in doubt due to expiring enlistments and the string of losses.On the night of December 25, 1776, Washington staged a comeback with a surprise attack on a Hessian outpost in western New Jersey. He led his army across the Delaware River to capture nearly 1,000 Hessians in Trenton, New Jersey. The Battle of Trenton was over in less than an hour. American losses were 2 killed and 5 wounded. One of the wounded was Lieutenant James Monroe, the future Fifth President of the United States. Lieutenant Monroe was also reputed to be the man standing next to George Washington and holding the American flag in Emanuel Leutze's famous painting, "Washington Crossing the Delaware". Also, it was widely believed that the Hessians were intoxicated as a result of their Christmas celebrations. That has been proved by historians to not be the case . Washington followed up his victory at Trenton with another over British regulars at Princeton in early January. The British retreated back to New York City and its environs, which they held until the peace treaty of 1783. Washington's victories wrecked the British carrot-and-stick strategy of showing overwhelming force then offering generous terms. The Americans would not negotiate for anything short of independence
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was very impressed
TexasRedge2 May 2003
I was very impressed --- A & E has the best movie studio on television (bar none) --- i would've paid to see this film if it would've shown at the theatre ... having said that ... i will also say that i give this film a 9 our 10 star, I recommend it --- itcty Bitchy God Damn
The amazingly talented Jeff Daniels
WENN*936618 March 2000
Jeff Daniels' acting really holds you spellbound in this movie. Who else can play George Washington, Lawrence Chamberlain (in "Gettysburg"), and still be funny in "Dumb and Dumber"? In the making of "The Crossing" which was shown afterwards, they interviewed him about playing the part of Washington, and I was really impressed with how much research he had done for the movie.
Good historical movie
rdjunack23 May 2000
This movie was a generally good movie about the Continental Army's early years in the American Revolution, and how close America actually came to staying a British colony for God knows how much longer. The movie shows General Washington's daring attack on the Hessian garrison at Trenton, which was the first American victory of the war and one that was vital to maintaining the fragile Continental Army and our young democracy's future. The crossing, the battle, and the unseasonable cold are all shown really well and I liked putting myself in the unenviable position of General Washington who could either do nothing, and lose his entire army and disappear into obscurity(or wind up on the gallows), or attempt something daring and emerge a hero(or a foolhardy general). As it was, George's attack at Trenton went down in history as a great American victory when one was desperately needed at the time. Although the war would last almost 8 years more after this attack, Trenton proved to the British that they weren't dealing with armed rabble who were raising a fuss over a few cents in taxes.

General Washington's meetings with the generals and Colonel Mercer were also very insightful into how close the American Army was to collapse in the early years of the fight. Soldiers volunteer slips were coming to an end, Generals were fighting each other, and the infamous General Winter was coming in to help things... No attack could have been more ill-advised, but Washington's succeeded and this movie portrays everything leading up to it wonderfully

8 out of 10.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fine example of accurate history brought to light
mOVIemAN562 November 2005
The Crossing is one film I've been looking forward to viewing. History has always appealed to me and thought it would be a good view. Jeff Daniels holds the lead of the film and hoped he would deliver a good film. And boy does he ever deliver.

Jeff Daniels is Gen. George Washington and delivers the most believable portrayal I've seen. He is portrays Washington as exactly how he would have been: tired, disheartened, but still with a glimmer of hope. His words are delivered in the voice a general way and just seems to capture the man perfectly.

The supporting cast is excellent. Sebastian Roche is perfect in the portrayal of Col. Glover. He is bored, rebellious, and one of the smartest men in Washington's army. Roche is able to deliver every line he says with the emotion (or in some cases the annoyance) needed to give the film a little more humor.

The film covers from the week before the crossing of the Delaware to the Battle of Trenton. The battle scenes, though few, are filmed as they should be in any film. Graphic, intense, and heart-pounding. The battles show the brilliance of his plans and how un-prepared the Hessians were. By far the best part of the film is the way the filmmakers are able to emphasize the importance of the battle and how if they lost it was the war the lose also.

The Crossing. Starring: Jeff Daniels, Sebastian Roche, Roger Rees, and Steven McCarthy.

4 out of 5 Stars
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
movie review
colephelps-095929 October 2018
Even though the guy that plays George Washington is a goof, He plays his role good. This movie seemed to be very historically correct. For being a history movie there were very few dull moments and i enjoyed most scenes. I liked the characters and the bonds or differences they had that ultimately brought in the story all together. Although the crossing may be considered or more serious movie, the jokes and comments by the cast are a big reason why this movie wasn't boring. The other main reason was the fight seen at the end. I think that seeing scenes in movies like that kind of get us all a little more patriotic and hyped about what are country did. Even though it is now a little bit of an outdated movie i liked it for the most part and to top things off they had historical facts at the end which let you know what happend to the characters and when they died which i think is a cool little bonus you get to see in some movies
Not that entertaining
anallars25 September 2018
I watched this film for my History Through Film class at school. It tells the story of how George Washington crossed the Delaware River and attacked the Hessian Mercenaries. At first, nobody wanted to cross. They were low on men and it was in the middle of winter. Washington pushed the decision forward and they were able to succeed in the attack at Trenton. There was nothing that made me question the historical accuracy. I think the movie was well-made for it's time, considering there wasn't many special effects needed being that the movie takes place in the 1700s. Overall, I didn't really enjoy the movie. There were quite a few parts where I completely lost interest and was bored. I felt that things didn't get interesting until the end during the attack. I also felt that the acting wasn't that great. To me, George Washington's character wasn't portrayed as the strong leader that he was. I'm not familiar with this director or any of the other stuff he's worked on so I don't think I'll watch anything else from him. I haven't seen any other movies that portray these events, so I don't have much to compare this film to. Maybe if I watch other films related to this event, I will have a different opinion on this movie.
The Crossing
garynorm-7902220 September 2018
We have to write reviews for a class. This is about when George Washington has to cross the Deleware river. Then they attack the German soldiers and win. The technology isn't that old just because it wasn't made that long ago. The acting was a little off with some characters. And the people that were selected for some parts was off. The historical accuracy was pretty good. They told the story of this time pretty well. There were no connections to other movies that I noticed. I liked the fight scenes they were pretty good. Jeff Daniels portrayed George Washington magnificently. I didn't like how some scenes were slow and it got a little boring. I wouldn't mind watching a mo or with the same actors or the same director.
the corssing
ericagui20 September 2018
I am watching this movie for my history through film class. We are writing reviews on movies. The story is about George Washington crossing the river. He makes the option on whether he wants to do it or not. Many people dont want to. As general he chooses to. Thing I noticed about the movie because of the time period was the acting. The acting wasn't that good. Neither was the special effects. Background scenery wasnt all that great too. Nothing made me question historical accuracy. From what Ive heard mostly everything was right. There as no connections that I made to other movies. Ive never watched movies like this. Three things I liked was the violence. I liked how george washington took charge. I also liked the nothing else. One thing I didnt like was the special effects and acting of the soldiers. I didnt like the movie. I didnt think it was interesting. I wouldnt want to see other movies like this. The actors were not that good either so I wouldnt want to see other movies by them either.
History through film review
kennarb-2301019 September 2018
I am watching this movie for my history though film class. This movie is supposed to help us learn what the war was like. The filmmaker is trying to tell us how important the war was. They were also trying to tell us how Washington handled the war. They were trying to tell us how everything went done and how organized they were during the war. They people didn't live in houses with a lot of electronics. This movie was in color not black and white. You could tell it wasn't that old by the clothes they were wearing. They also didn't have enough equipment for everyone who was fighting in the war. I was wondering how the horses would get shot at and not fall over and die. People would be shot at or stabbed and they wouldn't die. These guys dressed similar to the people that were in the other movie I watched. They also all rode on horses, there were no cars. I liked how they talked in different languages. I also liked how they would find a solution when something wasn't what they needed it to be. I also liked how they made things work. I didn't like when they would all ride up on horses and no one would say anything to the other person. I liked this movie more than the other movies we have watched. I think this movie had a good theme to it and it seemed more realistic. You couldn't tell that they were acting this out they made it seem real. I would like to see other movies filmed by this director. I think the different angles made the movie more entertaining. I liked how they made a positive out of the negative things.
The Pirates of the Caribbean of America
jackfull18 September 2018
I watched this film in my History through film class and these are my thoughts on it. This film is about George Washington and how he crossed the river Delaware to win the battle of Trenton against the Hessian army. Things to notice because of the time period were things like the camera quality. With this movie not only being made in 2000, but also for TV, the camera quality is.... on par. Nothing really made me question this movies historical accuracy. Some things I liked about this movie was my title of this review. It is very classic in its style of fighting. It makes you go for patriots and be proud to be an AMERICAN.Some things I didn't really like was the casting of George Washington. To me, I just don't see Jeff Daniels being George Washington. He does a good job in the role but I don't see him being Washington. The other thing is how halfway through the movie, they just pick this one random solider to follow in crowds and the story line. You wonder why the story decides to include this average solider that you don't even know. You find out in the final battle when this random guy is the one who shoots Colonel Rall in the chest, and he dies. In closing, this movie is pretty decent. It's not to bad for time, but I wouldn't watch this as a entertainment movie. More as a war history film.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
if you like watching people get stabbed with bayonets, this is the movie for you
cryshans18 September 2018
This movie was pretty great, although I don't think that General Washington really swore that much, but that's okay. it was still pretty funny. I enjoy watching people get stabbed. maybe that's messed up, but I find movies in which people get stabbed, or impaled, funny. a dark sense of humor I guess. the movie was about George Washington crossing the Delaware to attack the Hessians on Christmas. if you know history well you'll probably know everything that happens in the movie before it happens.if you like watching people get stabbed, then this is the movie for you. If you don't, I'm warning you now so you know what's coming. it was a good movie. I enjoyed it. A LOT!!!
Its ok
cadenixo18 September 2018
I watched this film in my history class. We have seen many historical films. The plot of the movie goes through the story of Washigton and shows the stuggle to cross the delaware. And what they had to go through. It also shows the american revolution. The story goes through what foudning fathers did and how Washigton was a general. I noticeid the film did a good job showing the technoloigy they had at that time. Many handcarts and horses were used for transportation which was accurate for this time. The special effects were pretty good but not quite what we have today. When they were fighting some scenes with blood looked a little unreal but it was they best they could do. I dont have any questions as to why it would be inaccurate it all seemed good to me. The movie made sence and got its point across. The acting was good which made it seem real. The only connection is some of the actors. Ive seen jeff daniels in many movies and espacially dumb and dumber. I liked the acting in this movie daniels did a good job being his character. I liked the fighting scene it brought action to the movie and everybody likes action. I also liked how they still went on after losing men and being somewhat of underdogs. I didnt like some of the scenes I feel like they were dragged on. I thought the movie was ok it had its ups and downs. It was defently intresting to see how they lived and what they had to go through. I would like to see more movies with the same people and I have seen movies with some of them. The film was able to teach about founding fathers and americas struggles.
The Crossing Review
spenhask18 September 2018
I just recently watch The Crossing. I'm watching this movie for my U.S. History through film class. The plot is actually kind of simple but good. It's the first winter of the revolutionary war. The American colonist army is low on men and they're not doing so hot. General Washington decides to attack on Christmas to gain an advantage over the British. Then they go ahead and do so. I noticed that the cities and such resemble that of the late 1700's and so it should the movie does good with that. There was nothing about its historical accuracy that I question. I liked the plot, characters, and dialouge. There wasn't really anything I didn't like about the film. It was a really good movie overall and it would be nice to see others like it.
Maintains Historical Accuracy But Entertaining at the Same Time
camrammer18 September 2018
The Crossing is easily one of the best films I've seen detailing the American Revolution, perhaps one of the best films detailing history in general. Jeff Daniel's portrayal of General Washington seems to be more accurate than any other interpretation I've ever seen. This film is very educational, while also providing a great, entertaining experience. The realistic yet fantastic telling of this story has left me interested in both the American Revolutionary war, as well as U.S. history itself. I would recommend this to anyone interested in the history of the United States. With a mix of great fight sequences, interesting communion pieces, and more helps to conjure a beautiful story that I can watch again and again.