What Women Want (2000) Poster

For all us guys.
SmileysWorld17 April 2002
A man suddenly finds himself able to read women's minds and actually know what women want from men.Now,what guy doesn't want to be in that position? This was a terrific idea for a film and it was executed to perfection.Who better than Mel Gibson to represent us in this situation? He's the one man women probably wish understood them.At any rate,Gibson really turns on the Gibson charm here and there's not a better film in which to do that.Helen Hunt makes a great leading lady and is her usual charming self.Also,from the supporting cast,it's always great to see Alan Alda,one of the most underrated actors of our time.This film starts with a very unique,funny idea,and it does not disappoint in terms of how good it can be executed.Well casted,well directed and very funny film.
75 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A romantic comedy that a guy can see too
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews1 February 2004
This is pretty much the typical romantic comedy, but with an interesting twist; the main character has the ability to hear womens thoughts. The important thing was that for it to work, the character would be placed in a lot of interesting comical situations, where you could laugh at it, without it being too mocking of womens thoughts, or too far-out to enjoy. It succeeds pretty well, however the way the character gains and loses the ability were handled somewhat poorly. The humor is good, and there is plenty of it, throughout the entire runtime. The characters were believable, and the main character eventually grew to be likable. The plot was good, and the acting likewise. The only thing that brings the movie down, is the poor execution of the gain/loss of the ability to hear womens thoughts, and the sugar-sweet ending, that was too predictable and plain boring, as anyone who's seen one of the hundreds(possibly thousands) of romantic comedies out there. No actual new stuff brought to the table, apart from the interesting and original concept of a man being able to hear what women are thinking. OK for a romantic comedy. 7/10
57 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious! A laugh a minute!
mattymatt4ever28 May 2001
Mel Gibson is known as sort of a macho action hero, and stereotyped into his Mad Max/Martin Riggs persona. But I've noticed (except for "Braveheart" and "The Patriot") he injects comic relief into almost anything he does. So doing a straight comedy doesn't seem like much of a stretch, and as you watch in a movie like this Gibson's timing and delivery is impeccable. On and off the camera, he has an incredible sense of humor, and he probably improvised some featured gags.

The premise is very original and interesting. A guy who can hear a woman's every thought? That's pretty much every man's fantasy. And the premise is used wisely. I laughed the whole way through! It's hilarious to watch Gibson emasculating himself by the minute, and the joke never runs dry.

I was laughing so much that I was able to tolerate the film's corny ending. I mean, when is a romantic comedy going to come along that doesn't feature a formulaic ending that is supposed to make people leave the theater and go "Awwww"?

The supporting cast is full of big stars. Bette Midler has an amusing cameo as a chain-smoking shrink. I only wish she could've had some additional scenes.

"What Women Want" is an original, feel-good comedy that will have you on the floor! This not a "chick flick." If you want to laugh--this is the movie to see! No questions asked!

My score: 8 (out of 10)
58 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is mind Reading the Only Way for Men to Understand?
nikhavey29 July 2004
The film What Women Want is about a man, Nick Marshall (Mel Gibson), who has been characterized as a 'man's man,' a male who is the type of guy that other men look up to. Darcy Maguire (Helen Hunt) also stars and sends Marshall into a male power trip when she is offered a job position that he was trying so hard to get. Marshall is known for his ability to seduce women and fornicate with them. Most of the women in his life think that he is a self centered jerk, because of the way he objectifies them. Even his fifteen year old daughter feels as if they are not related because of his poor communication skills with women. But an unexpected twist took place one day while blow drying mousse in his hair. While he was going about his business, Marshall tripped, and fell into his bathtub full of water, being electrocuted severely. Oddly enough, what would kill a normal human being did not harm Nick in any way, rather than it mysteriously gave him the power to hear what women are thinking. So, equipped with his new skill, he goes about his day, not knowing he has this amazing ability. Throughout his random encounters with women, particularly at work, he comes to realize that all the women are not very fond of him.

In all movies, there is always a message of some sort that the director is trying to express. In this particular film, I believe there is more than one message. One of the dilemmas the movie expressed was women do not know what they want. Throughout the movie, women were constantly complaining about men, or their hair, or their outfit. The truth is that women do not know what they do want; only what they don't want. Another message it displayed is a world renown problem: the concept that men do not have a clue about women. They communicate differently as men, and want different things as well. Is reading women's minds the only way for men to understand? I sure hope not.

The technique of this movie is nothing to throw a fit over. The average cinematography isn't dazzling, but it is good enough to keep the viewer interested. The sound track was well thought out, with many famous songs helping out in several scenes and strongly assisting in setting the mood. A few things stand out in the movie that question reality. For example, Gibson falls into a full bathtub, gets electrocuted by thousands of volts, and only wakes up with a headache. At a different point in the movie he gets shocked again, but not by a household utensil. The second time it's by lightning, and again, just a headache. No singed eyebrows or fried shoelaces were to be found.

What Women Want is an entertaining movie at the least. Mel Gibson, as always, does an excellent job portraying his character, as well as Helen Hunt. The cast did a well-rounded job, and no one was out of place. I enjoyed the movie thoroughly and enjoyed the humor. The film was filled with talented acting, laughs, and lighthearted suspense. It would be a good recommendation for anyone who is bored and desires a humorous, fun movie. The idea of a man being able to read women's minds is clever and amusing. Should this ever happen, would it be classified as a gift, or a nightmare?
49 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's all worth it when you see Mel Gibson waxing his legs.
When this movie started, I didn't know if I would like it, although it had a very powerful beginning. But eventually (around the part I mentioned) I realized that it's very funny. And you've gotta love the romance!

Mel Gibson is Nick Marshall, a womanizer who at the same time doesn't understand women at all. When the womanliest of all women, Darcy Maguire (Helen Hunt), starts to work with his company, she assigns everyone to think of advertising ideas for at least one feminine item in the boxes she gives them (pantyhose, lipstick, mascara, a wonderbra, nail polish, etc.). Nick tries to think, but instead gets drunk and paints his nails, tries on the mascara and pantyhose, and yes, waxes his legs. That night, a freak accident occurs in his apartment, and then he can hear what women are thinking. He uses this asset to steal Darcy's ideas, and at the same time falls in love with her.

Besides Gibson and Hunt's performances, there are three other reasons I love this movie. One, Marisa Tomei, who is perky and cute as Nick's previous uninterested love interest, a coffee-shop girl named Lola. But just when Nick gets less desperate for her and more so for Darcy, Lola discovers that she really does like him. Two, Ashley Johnson, who is demanding but lovable as Nick's teenage daughter from a previous marriage. He can hear her thoughts, too, and finds out that she's planning to lose her virginity on prom night. Although he tries to stop her, she eventually learns the lesson on her own. Three, it has an awesome soundtrack. Frank Sinatra, the Temptations, Nancy Wilson, and Bobby Darin sing old classics, while Christina Agulera and Meredith Brooks perform fairly new hits.

Anybody who likes comedy, romance, or just a great movie should see "What Women Want." I think it's one of the few unisex romantic comedies (not chick flicks) there are, so it's a great date movie.
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Does Anyone Really Know? Even Mel?
jhclues17 January 2001
Here is a movie that, to be sure, is part fantasy, part wacky comedy; but to call `What Women Want,' directed by Nancy Meyers, `just' a comedy would be not only inaccurate, but would be doing an injustice to the film as well. Because-- while there are plenty of laughs to be had (especially early on)-- in the end, there is a lot more bite and substance to it than first meets the eye. Enough to definitely raise it far above the `fluff' piece many will perceive it to be, if only due to some shallow reviews and the theatrical trailer currently being shown, which gives only the vaguest notion of what this movie is really all about. In fact, once most of the `cute' stuff is out of the way (about a third of the way through), the film really starts to get good,with a message about decency that is worthwhile, if only it can penetrate the formidable barrier of the viewer with an attention span barely able to accommodate an episode of `Friends.' Beyond the humor, there is a story here about a man named Nick Marshall (Mel Gibson) who literally receives the shock of his life, and afterwards must deal with who he is by coming to terms with his past, realizing the truth about himself in the present, and understanding what his future will be if he does not change his ways . It's something of a contemporary take on `A Christmas Carol,' with Nick an egotistical, self-centered, witty (In his own eyes) Scrooge; a veritable legend in his own mind, which is not-- as he comes to find out-- necessarily the way he is perceived by many of those around him, especially the women in his professional life. The screenplay, written by Cathy Yuspa and Josh Goldsmith, is extremely insightful and brought to the screen with equal acuity by director Meyers, who goes to great lengths at the beginning of the film to explain Nick's exaggerated chauvinism, what made him the `Man's man' he has become. And while it is clever and effective, closer scrutiny in the editing room may have benefited the overall film, as his character is somewhat `overly' established. But just about at the point when you're saying to yourself, `All right I get it!' Meyers grabs the helm with both hands and suddenly the ship is at full mast and on course, where she keeps it for the rest of the journey. The turning point comes after Nick's visit to a marriage counselor (a terrific cameo by Bette Midler) with whom he had had business some years before. It's as if not only Nick, but Meyers as well, had heeded Bette's advice. Mel Gibson does a good job of getting into Nick Marshall's skin, and he's to be commended for going out on a limb and taking on a character that may not be immediately embraced by even die-hard Gibson fans. It's a testimony to his ability as an actor, though, because he does make Nick the epitome of chauvinism, and except for the few throw-back Neanderthals (women as well as men) still in existence who subscribe to the `Man's man' theory of de-evolution, Nick will effect the same response from the audience that he does in the minds of many of the women who surround him in the movie. It's only when you've had a chance to consider Gibson's performance at arm's length that you will realize how good he is in this film. On the other hand, the real saving grace of this movie is immediately discernible, and that is the performance of the wonderful Helen Hunt. As Darcy McGuire, the professional hired to lead the ad agency for whom Nick works into the Twenty-first Century, Hunt is nothing less than sensational. One of the most gifted, expressive actors in the business, she raises the level of the drama (not to mention the comedy) by succinctly conveying the strength-- and at the same time the vulnerability-- of Darcy, while exhibiting a depth of emotion that adds so much to the impact (and the success) of the film. And, in a notable supporting role, Judy Greer is memorable as Erin, a lonely young woman who works at the ad agency. It's the `Tiny Tim' role of the film, and though a small part, it figures prominently in revealing Nick's inner-most feelings at a pivotal moment of the film. Rounding out the supporting cast are Alan Alda (Dan), Marisa Tomei (Lola), Ashley Johnson (Alexandra), Mark Feuerstein (Morgan), Lauren Holly (Gigi), Delta Burke (Eve), Valerie Perrine (Margo) and Sarah Paulson (Annie). What Meyers has created here is a mixed-bag, sleight-of-hand bit of entertainment that is so much more than what it seems to be on the surface that it is bound to evoke an equally mixed-bag of reactions (positive and negative) from the audience. It's amusing-- downright funny at times-- but also exasperating. To receive the full rewards offered by `What Women Want,' you're going to have to give it something as well. If you do, you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you get in return. And that, my friends, is the magic of the movies. I rate this one 8/10.
39 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We know it now
Atreyu_II18 September 2007
"What Women Want" has a unusual plot which also makes us (men) think: what do women really want? The final conclusion is that they want happiness, just like men.

Despite being a predictable movie and nothing extraordinary, at least it teaches to us (men) some valuable lessons about women. It's a good way to understand and know them better.

The first hour of this movie is great fun, very entertaining and pure comedy. During the first hour we have some moments to give us good laughs. Mel Gibson has never been this funny before. He plays a hilarious character: Nick Marshall, a typical "macho men" or a "men's man". The kind of man that other men admire and want to be like him. The kind of man who doesn't understand a thing about women (although seen as a "God's gift" to women). Nick is proud, rich, chauvinistic, single and loves to hear Frank Sinatra.

After an accident with the hairdryer, he suddenly has the power of hearing what women think and what they think of him isn't what he expected. He sees this as a curse, but after being convinced by a psychologist that he could take advantage of this gift, he uses it to manipulate Darcy McGuire.

However, in the second half, the movie fails, becoming predictable and somehow lame, losing all its comical side. Some ridiculous and silly things happen in the second half. Also, I rather the "old" Nick than the "good" Nick, because the "old" Nick was much funnier. He becomes the "good guy" in the second half, losing his sense of humor.

This movie has some nice songs, such as "I Won't Dance" (performed by Frank Sinatra), "I've Got You Under My Skin" (performed by Frank Sinatra in a duet with Bono) and "Bitch" (performed by Meredith Brooks).

Mel Gibson is great and charming as Nick Marshall, while Helen Hunt is okay and pretty in the role of Darcy McGuire.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It reminded me of one of those late 50's early 60's romantic comedies.
meadowlark1 October 2001
A new creative director (Helen Hunt) is hired by an ad agency (run by Alan Alda) to bring it up to date by appealing to the women's market. Mel Gibson, an account executive and a real man's man, was slated for that position, and he wants to get rid of Hunt. At her first staff meeting, Hunt gives each person a package of various women's products, and each must come up with a campaign for at least one of the items.

At home, Gibson tries out the products in a tour de force of cross-dressing. Funny, if not roll on the floor hilarious, and he does it with an aplomb that makes it look so easy that you at the very least have to admire his skill. In the process, Gibson falls into a tub, followed by a live hair dryer, and receives a shock that alters his brain so that he can hear the thoughts of women. As a result, he bowls everyone over, especially Hunt, with his creative insight into the women's market. Now he's got her right where he wants her...or so he thinks. But creative insight turns out to be a two-edged sword.

I liked this one a lot more than I thought I would. It reminded me of one of those late 50's early 60's romantic comedies, at least in its earlier scenes. In fact, I liked it so much that it made me feel sorry for Woody Allen. His "Curse of the Jade Dragon" suffers by comparison. I mention it, because Allen's film also stars Helen Hunt and, interestingly, has a similar situation–a woman is hired on to bring a company up to date, and she threatens to disrupt the man's career. Even mind-alteration is involved, although of a different kind.

I think the mind-reading premise is brilliant and is set in just the right context, and Hunt and Gibson played off each other very well. I've seen Mel Gibson on a couple of Jay Leno shows, and he seemed ill-at-ease and sometimes a little abrupt, as though he were either very shy, not too bright, or for some reason just didn't want to be there. But what a difference when he's on screen and playing a role that in bygone days would have been filled by Jack Lemmon or Tony Randall or Rock Hudson. Ok, maybe he's not the all-round actor that Lemmon was, but he fit that particular role perfectly. And he even does a bit of a Gene Kelly routine!
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" Alcohol is the perfect antidote to estrogen "
thinker169117 April 2010
In the 1960's, popular writer and psychiatrist, Eric Berne wrote a book upon which this film should have been its premise. The book was called the 'games people play.' This interesting, quirky, comedy movie is called " What women want. " It tells the story of a top Manhattan, executive, Nick Marshall, (Mel Gibson) in the advertising business who experiences a shocking electrical accident which leaves him with the ability to read women's minds. Much like another movie, 'The Misadventures of Merlin Jones.' Although females at his place of employment consider him to be a snobbish, egocentric, male chauvinist and brutish womanizer, he sees himself the opposite. Slated for a promotion, he is dismayed when he is not. Instead another executive, a female, Darcy Maguire (Helen Hunt) is chosen. Believing he is cursed, he seeks a doctor who convinces him it's not a curse, but a blessing. Although, there is much to learn, Marshall soon adapts and uses his power to sabotage Darcy and her efforts. Alan Alda plays Dan Wanamaker, Gibson's boss, with Marisa Tomei, Delta Burke and Valerie Perrine in supporting roles, this movie sails well, until the principals meet to resolve their predicament, which in this reviewer's opinion, leaves much to be desired. Nevertheless, Gibson does a good job and is able to produce many a smile with his feminine antics. ****
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had me laughing out loud
jwells9721 December 2014
This was the most fun I've had movie-watching in at least a year. It had me laughing, talking to the characters (mainly "Oh, no!" and "Watch out!"), and eager to see what would happen next. I guess it's true that women are difficult for men to understand because what we're are thinking often contradicts what we're saying. What DO women want? The casting was wonderful, the acting was superb, and the direction was perfect. I heard that Tim Allan had been considered for the lead role. He would've been a great choice, but so was Mel Gibson. Bravo to one and all! Now how about doing a similar movie with a woman hearing men's thoughts, hmmmm? Just as Shirley Temple helped distract grateful Americans from the Great Depression, we need more comedies like this to distract us from equally-distressing things.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My wife will kill me....!
Garry-102 July 2001
Well, to like this film, you've really got to like the lovely Mel. And while he's had his moments in the past, he is just starting to get .... on.... my....nerves. OK, the character is _meant_ to be obnoxious, in order to give the film its comedic spin, but boy does Mel smarm and squirm his way through the role. As most other comments have said, the women characters, particularly Tomei, are woefully underdeveloped and underused, leaving the film to stand and fall on Gibson's performance.

The plot lurches along too: Tomei is written out with an unbelievable plot device, the 'daughter' sub plot is predictable and the ending just doesn't convince.

As said, you like Mel, you get Mel. But if you're looking for sensible plot and believable characters, try elsewhere. It's almost as if the great Mel decided there just wasn't enough room in the film for anything else.
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trendy, ultra-slick commercial throwaway...
moonspinner551 July 2006
21st century variant on the old battle-of-the-sexes theme, naturally spiked with an extraordinary gimmick to put the material over with today's seen-it-all audiences. Mel Gibson plays a womanizing ad-exec in Chicago who--through electrocution!--is suddenly able to read the minds of all females. At first, he uses this newfound gift for personal gain, but soon finds himself becoming a more caring and sensitive man who learns to listen before he speaks. Fast-paced but dim, fatuous comic fantasy of male and female relations in modern times. It purports to be speaking the Truth about the sexes, but in the interim tosses off a lot of snappy lines and superficial answers. Most of the female performers are directed to be hammy and irritating, and nearly everyone in the cast overacts. Gibson manages to retain his appeal, though even he can't save the film from a sour finish. ** from ****
18 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Charming and amusingly funny. Gibson and Hunt are a cute couple--but a bad ending. *** (out of four)
Movie-1228 January 2001
WHAT WOMEN WANT / (2000) *** (out of four) By Blake French:

In the year 2000 alone, Mel Gibson portrayed a colonial-times rebel in "The Patriot," arrogant poultry in "Chicken Run," and now a hotshot chauvinist in Nancy Meyers' new romantic comedy "What Women Want." Mel Gibson has slick, suave charm and electric charisma in the role of a self-confident advertising executive. All of his seemingly natural talents combine to create a funny, entertaining character named Nick Marshall. The adorable Helen Hunt has the same amiable traits as her irresistible co-star as she lights up the screen with a gentle personality and glowing elegance. With a respectable supporting cast, including Marisa Tommei, Alan Alda, Lauren Holly, and Bette Midler, it is hard to imagine how "What

Women Want" could have failed to entertain audiences.

Nick Marshal obviously does not know what women want. He was raised as a testosterone-based bachelor, with the idea that he is the world's gift to all females. As a rich executive on the verge of a big promotion from his boss, Dan Wanamaker (Alan Alda), he is not pleased when a young, ambitious woman named Darcy Maguire (Helen Hunt) gets the position instead of him. To make matters worse for Nick, his ex-wife (Lauren Holly) has just remarried, leaving him their somewhat rebellious fifteen year old daughter for two weeks, and his attempts to bed a coffee shop employee named Lola (Marisa Tomei) are continuing to fail.

Everything changes for Nick after he experiences an accidental electrical shock that leaves him with the ability to read the minds of any female person. He abruptly pays a visit to his former marriage counselor (Bette Midler) who wakes him up on his unique gift that could be used to his advantage. He immediately takes charge of his new gift; it is interesting, funny, and always amusing to witness his reactions to women's personal thoughts and desires. The screenwriters take full use of the comic material, and use it selectively and wisely; the humor never gets in the way of the movie's message about a modern-day ladies man. By the end of the movie, Nick is a much better person than he was at the beginning of the story.

"What Women Want" is written with a sharp edge; the dialogue is poignant and sassy, the characters are witty, sexy, and often hilarious. However, there is also a positively sweet sentiment holding all of the material together and helping the story flow smoothly. There is plenty of effective comic content here, naturally revolving around Nick's ability to read the women's minds. The movie also develops Gibson's character well, and the lessons he learns about women are never too preachy or emotional to turn audiences off to the light-hearted humor. I also liked the unique direction by Nancy Meyers, whose style is keen and slick, sometimes taking the point of view of the woman in focus, allowing us to experience a variety of perspectives. She and writers Josh Goldsmith and Cathy Yuspa provide the leads with a lot of juicy material, and they take advantage of it all.

"What Women Want" falls into the usual pattern of concluding in a conventionally sweet, happy ending. The final romantic sequence feels contrived and unconvincing, unsettling, like a meet cute during a disappointing finally. Even the smiling faces of Helen Hunt and Mel Gibson cannot save a conclusion that is confusing and perplexing. After the movie, I asked a handful of audience members of their interpretation on the closing, and I got a handful of different responses, only one actually cleared up the whole situation for me. What a umbrage to a generally enjoyable romantic comedy.
12 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is This What Men Want Women To Want?
strong-122-47888526 June 2014
Yeah-yeah. I know that laughs and "comedy" were the intended goal of this film here, but, all the same, aren't us men supposed to be the "shallow" gender of the 2 sexes? I mean, aren't we?

Like, maybe I've been all wrong about the female gender, all along - 'Cause if women really do want what this movie says that they want, then what women want seems to be exactly what men want. Which is, sad to say, fairly predictable stuff. And, so, with that in mind, I'd say that this movie pretty much renders women as being just as shallow, if not more, than us men.

I find it really amazing that not only was "What Women Want" directed by a woman, but half of the screenplay credit goes to a woman, as well. With the shallow, pretentious, and petty way in which women are portrayed in this film, I was certain that not even one single woman had been consulted in any way, shape, or form to find out what they really want.

Anyways - In a non-specific gender nutshell, here's "What Women Want" is all about - Mel Gibson, that big-mouthed bigot, plays Nick Marshall, a vain, womanizing S.O.B. (Hey! You know, that sounds an awful lot like Mel Gibson just playing Mel Gibson to me)

One fine morning Nick gets all of his brain-circuits fried, big time, when he falls into a bathtub full of water while in the midst of blow-drying his pretty-pretty hair.

One could only hope that being electrocuted in this fashion would kill Gibson/Nick instantly. But, no, unfortunately, it doesn't. And, so, for the sake of the movie, what electrocution does to Nick, instead, is it enables him to hear the thoughts of women. (Now, does that make sense to you?)

Naturally, being the slimy prick that he is, Nick uses this amazing ability to his full advantage (of course, who wouldn't?) by manipulating women as best he can. Especially his new female boss, played by Helen Hunt, who just happened to land this very job position that he (being the scoundrel that he is) figured was solely entitled to him.

Anyhow - To make a long story, short - If you can believe it, or not, there's actually a "romance" of sorts that transpires in all of this thought-reading nonsense that is even more far-fetched than you can ever imagine.

In conclusion - If what women want really is this movie, then, all I can say is, THEY CAN BLOODY-WELL HAVE IT!! - 'Cause, being a man, I sure as hell don't want it! No way, Jose!
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Romantic Comedy!
mjhalta29 February 2008
This movie is one of Mel Gibsons best! He is a natural at comedy! For this movie to have such a low rating reflects on the Neanderthals that write these reviews. A few of us modern Homo-sapiens have to set the record straight and be assured my fellow enlightened humans this is a great movie. Mel Gibson does some excellent acting as does Helen Hunt. A great plot, a social statement, and a truly inspiring love story, this movie has it all, including some very very funny parts. This is not a no-brainer slap stick comedy but one that makes you think about our interaction with other people and how it effects them and you. It also answers the question that men have been seeking forever, what do women want! Rent it, you won't be disappointed. I've watched it many times and will do so again as it is that good.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nice idea, well executed
csagne18 September 2007
It is not easy to start from a funny idea like this, write a script for 90 minutes, get some humour and end up with a perfect bake.

In fact, it's easy to go wrong somewhere along the way, last too long, make it too slapstick, or too serious, and then after 25 minutes people know they shouldn't have paid for their seat.

This film - about a man suddenly endowed with hearing women's thoughts - is a favourite rerun at Christmas, and I still watch it (ok not in full, I have a life too) instead of changing channels because it's still funny.

Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt are really good there, they just coined it and you wish there were more unpretentious (but with a tiny bit of depth and message) comedies like this around.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really funny and entertaining. Once.
arturo-millan26 July 2005
The first time I watched this movie I was traveling on a bus and they played it on the screens. I thought it was a great romantic comedy -- and I'm a man, ya know. Plus I really like Mel Gibson.

I tend not to forget almost every scene or the most important ones of a film, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy watching a movie twice or more times. I saw this thing going on on A&E, and "What Women Want" was gonna be on so I decided to watch it, since i remembered it was a funny movie.

When the movie was over I realized this: The movie is divided in two parts: the first half, and the second half. The first half is more comedy than romance, and the second half was more romance than comedy. The first half is from the beginning to the sex-with-Marisa-Tomei scene, and the second half is from the shopping scene to the end. After that, I acknowledged this: the first half of the movie is for an audience of guys and girls, and the second half of the movie is for an audience of gays and girls. Ya get the picture? The first time I saw the film I enjoyed it. I put up with the second half because it had caught me from the beginning, plus there were some funny situations, like the last scene with Marisa Tomei, where Mel tells her he's gay... that was really funny, but the rest is just girly stuff. And what more of a perfect way to present this second part if not by a shopping scene.

Suming it all up, if you haven't watched it... well I'm sorry for the spoilers, but I mean, rent it, it's a very funny comedy... the first time you see it. 'Course thats for the dudes, ya know, I'm sure women like watching the pinkish parts over and over again.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nike ad made me feel ill
jlrdouglas29 January 2001
OK, so the movie was enjoyable, made me laugh a few times, and Mel is still handsome.

But the movie was one big Nike ADVERTISEMENT! It's not enough anymore for them to force us to watch the CG coke bears before we even get to the trailers... we now pay $9 for the privilege of watching a 2 hour nike ad.

Don't get me wrong, the ad was very well done. In fact it was one of the most compelling ads I have seen in years and that includes all the superbowl ads... but that is why I was so incensed. The screenwriters could have used some unnamed big firm that needs to do an ad directed at women, but no, instead the makers of this film chose to take the multi multi millions that nike offered them and do the ultimate product placement.

So as long as you go in completely aware that this is about two ad execs courting the Nike execs (whose professional lives I frankly didn't care about) than enjoy. The rest of it wasn't too bad...
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utopia...
Coventry2 May 2004
Every once and a while there comes a movie of which you really regret the fact that it's premise is just fiction… Life would so much easier if this was true. Dig this: Nick Marshall (Mel Gibson) gets electrocuted by a hairdryer and when he comes to his senses again, he can actually READ women's minds!! What a treat that must be! Last time I suffered slight electrocution I was shivering for 3 days and Gibson gets to understand women??? Anyway…about the film. It all may look fresh and light-headed but in fact it's pretty routine and annoyingly superficial! We learn that the stuff women think about is actually ordinary and rather obvious (they don't want to get hurt emotionally, they want to prove that there's more to them than just a pretty face etc etc…) The screenplay contains a few major clichés, like tremendous emotional speeches and Gibson who automatically gets mistaken for a gay man. Or that dreadful moral about waiting for your `first time' till you're ready for it yourself?? Yuck! As far as I'm concerned, they could have done much better things with this basic idea. There are a few positive aspects to discover as well, of course. The acting for example. Mel Gibson and Helen Hunt are a terrific on-screen couple and I really wish they had been given a better script to work with. Some good acting by familiar faces in smaller roles as well, such as Alan Alda, Lauren Holly, Marisa Tomei and even Bette Midler. `What Women Want' has got a high level of feel-good moments and feminisation message, but it's overall pretty neutral. Good, smooth soundtrack though…Lot's of Frank Sinatra oldies!

I tend to know what women want as well…: this kind of cinema. Watch it with your wife/girlfriend/mistress and you'll definitely get lucky tonight ;)
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never Tire of Seeing!
bluekarma066 September 2008
Never get tired of watching this movie. It has such comic appeal as well as great writing and acting. I think it gets across a really good message. I loved Mel Gibsons performance and his dance scene to Frank Sinatra's " I Won't Dance" is amazing. I never knew he was that talented! All in all, WWW hits on all cylinders and holds up to repeat viewings as I have caught it many times on cable and no mater where it is in the movie I enjoy it. I know many people have an opinion about Mel as a person but in his acting roles he shines! From MAd Max to We Were Soldiers to What Woman Want, Gibson plays his roles as the character written for the movie and he does it brilliantly. I only wish he had had a chance to play Batman! 9/10
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly and fun
tenthousandtattoos15 July 2007
Look at another review for plot outline...you won't find one here, just my opinion :) Weird movie. But good, don't get me wrong, I enjoy it immensely and have it in my collection, mainly due to the fact that Mel Gibson is a male actor I made into a surrogate Dad when I was younger, so I always enjoy watching him (much better actor than he is a director, but that's arguable i guess, anyway he's too religiously weird for me to like his "serious" directorial efforts.

This is another film I happily watch just for it's "feel" - it's bright, airy and relaxed. The fake-looking backdrops in Mel's apartment while he's spinning in the bowler hat to Frank Sinatra just add to the film's charm, not detract from it. The one prob I have is that, okay, look, we're supposed to see Mel change from this chauvinistic pig into a sensitive guy, yet he TRAMPLES over Marisa Tomei's character, excusing himself as "gay" to her face while he goes and f*cks Helen Hunt's character? I'm a guy, but even I thought this was a b*stardly thing to do to someone. And Marisa Tomei? My god...this is just my opinion but if I had to decide between her (they obviously had great sex, and Marisa Tomei is gorgeous - I'd quite literally kill to get her naked for 40 minutes...the RIGHT 40 minutes) and straight-laced, probably-never-moans Darcy (Helen Hunt) I'd be jamming on into Marisa's bed without a moment's hesitation... That's not to say anything about Helen Hunt's talents...far from it, I think she's a terrific and original actress who isn't in enough movies...and she IS gorgeous too, I just can't past Marisa...anyway, enough of my boyhood fan-crushes (I'm sure you're all REAL interested in who I think is H - O - T lol) This film gives a nod to older romantic comedies from the 40's and 50's, and in a lot of ways it reminds me of those films (the ones I've seen anyway) in that it has a ridiculously far-fetched plot (he gets electrocuted by a hairdryer and then can suddenly read women's minds...) that somehow just seems plausible because the rest of the movie is so silly and fun. Take Bringing Up Baby with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn...perfect example of this.

So many movies seem to fall apart by the end and this is no exception. The ending is extremely predictable and emotionally FLAT...I quite literally couldn't care less who ends up with who...they're all attractive people I'm sure they'll do fine lol...but c'mon inject a bit of originally (or failing that, at least some humour) into the ending of the film...it's the final shot that stays with people, and Mel and Helen huggin on the stairs didn't really burn itself into my memory...

Mel Gibson/Helen Hunt fans: dig in, you will enjoy this! If you don't like Mel, or can't stand predictable romantic-comedies...steer clear! Oh, definite date movie, just keep the Marisa Tomei comments and drooling to a minimum, or that couch is gonna be where you spend the night! Take care people, TTT.
enjoyable romantic comedy
Stampsfightclub8 January 2007
Mel Gibson (Braveheart) stars as Nick Marshall, a flirtatious big headed popular sales assistant in this likable romantic comedy about a guy who can read women's thoughts.

Through his confident image, Marshall is presented as a stereotyped womaniser in this 2000 hit rom-com and through his character audiences are able to hear what women 'really' think. It's a laugh I suppose that women are stereotyped and are presented through the media as thinking such thoughts in their head such as how they hate guys who constantly ask them out, detest their bosses, think the way they think. By stereotyping these thoughts audiences can accept the roles of the characters and have a laugh about what women really do want.

Its one of those films which is easy to watch and have a good laugh with as Gibson tries to cope with the 'calamity' of a situation he is in and Helen Hunt (As Good as it gets) also acts acceptably in her role as the new advertising division leader. The two perform well together although personally the ending was a huge disappointment for me, too clichéd and a tad disjointed, making the rest of the movie appear less acceptable to accept.

One scene involving Gibson is fantastic where he is alone in his apartment and dancing with the hat to the music which is great enjoyment and allows audiences to relax when watching him turn on the charm. That scene too dragged for a bit after a while.

There are many scenes which are very easy to laugh to and enjoy. Like all other romantic comedies there is a seriousness towards the central plot and also many side stories, one involving Gibson's relationship with his daughter which is portrayed as sweet and heart tearing but personally I wasn't too convinced.

The plot moves at a steady pace to begin with but once Gibson has his 'power' and uses it to his advantage does the plot start to push itself and become more interesting. Apart from the ending and a few unrealistic scenes the film is enjoyable and perfect to watch with partner or on a date to laugh at what women and men want from relationships and society.

watch it if...you like to laugh at relationship issues and gentle romantic portrayals of men and women
Brilliant, I feel in love with Mel again
marmiec27 June 2006
Romantic Comedies are a passion of mine, and this one was no exception However, this movie had a element that most don't possess. My father could watch it. Truly a miracle. Nick Marshall (Gibson) is a man who is positive he is God's gift to women. But apparently, not God's gift to his boss. When Marshall doesn't get his wanted promotion he throws a fit, especially when he finds out he lost his opportunity to *gasp* a woman. Darcy McGuire (Hunt) has a reputation, and a bad one at that. Her first act as boss woman is to give all the employees a pink box full of some feminine necessities. Leg wax, lip stick, control top panty hoes and a wonder bra. This is where Marshall's problems truly begin. I seriously fell in love with Mel Gibson during his dancing scene with the top hat, oi vey. Anyway, a freak accident causes him to hear women's thoughts. A somewhat simplistic plot, but definitely not a simple movie. At first Marshall feels "cursed" but, I mean, how bad can it be for a man to hear what women think and what women want? A notch above most romantic comedies.
A Cute Romantic Comedy
ijonesiii27 December 2005
Mel Gibson goes pure romantic lead for the first time and turns in one of his most charming performances in WHAT WOMEN WANT, a cute comedy-fantasy about a womanizing advertising executive who gets quasi-electrocuted one night and upon awakening, discovers he has the ability to hear what all women are thinking, an ability he initially rebuffs, then abuses, and then runs from with all his might. Gibson is charming and sexy in this film...his dance in the apartment with the fedora to the Frank Sinatra record is a delight and he is well matched by Helen Hunt as his new boss. There are other amusing supporting turns by Alan Alda, Marisa Tomei, Valerie Perrine, Delta Burke, Loretta Devine, and Ashley Johnon as Mel's daughter. If you think Mel Gibson is the sexiest man alive, WHAT WOMEN WANT is the film for you.
Nice Surprise
TheOtherFool18 November 2004
As chick-flick avant la lettre, What Women Want did surprisingly well with me (male, 25) and 3 of my (male, around the same age) friends. It has just the right dosis of humor and romance, and it's main stars (who I don't exactly admire in any other role) do their thing just right.

Nick Marshall (Mel Gibson) is an arrogant, sexist executive who one day finds Darcy McGuire (Helen Hunt) as his boss. That same night, after an accident he suddenly can hear what women think.

A nice angle, and it works pretty well until the last 30 minutes or so, when the 'big names' apparently had to hit it off to make it a true chick flick, while all 4 of us were rooting for the Erin character (Judy Greer). But until that moment, many laughs (or at least smiles).

6/10.