SpongeBob SquarePants (TV Series 1999– ) Poster

Like it or not, this show is hard to avoid
FrankBooth_DeLarge25 July 2005
SpongeBob is a very popular show. Its quirky humor, colorful characters, and crazy plot lines make it irresistible. It's hard to avoid this show, even if you're an adult, or a teen. This show also cheers you up very easily. You may like it, or you may not believe that you're watching something like this, but either way, it will somehow get to you.

The story lines are focused around SpongeBob, an energetic sea sponge who lives in a pineapple under the sea. Each episode focuses around him and his misadventures with other people in his town known as Bikini Bottom. His best friend is the dopey starfish Patrick, his other best friend is the land squirrel who lives in a submarine home, Sandy. Other characters in the show are SpongeBob's drowsy neighbor, Squidward, his boss at work, Mr. Krabs, the evil Plankton, and the driving school teacher Mrs. Puff. There are a bunch of other characters in the show, but most episodes are focused around them.

These days, Nickelodeon hasn't been doing so well. Most of their new shows are spin offs of old shows, and most of the new shows aren't good at all. SpongeBob is very reminiscent of older Nickelodeon shows. Elements like quirky humor, annoying neighbors, fun plot lines, slightly dark humor in a few episodes(not as much as the old Nickelodeon shows), mishaps at work, worst enemies, and mishaps due to SpongeBob's antics all make this show great. There are times when this show can become stupid, as a matter of fact, every episode uses stupidity in a certain way. Some episodes are smartly written, and in odd ways, certain episodes have a message in them.

There is nothing in this show that should make parents feel uncomfortable. In most episodes, there is some type of adult humor that adults and teens will find to be funny.

Everyone should see this show. Watch it with kids, or by yourself, either way, you'll probably have a great time with this show.
106 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Spongebob Squarepants" TV Series- 10/10. Very funny with lovable characters.
movies2u16 January 2004
Spongebob Squarepants" (1999) TV Series

It seems that it wasn't long ago that this show aired on Nickelodeon, but it's been like 5 years, and Spongebob Squarepants' popularity hasn't decreased at all- of course, I can see why. This show is set in the small town of Bikini Bottom (a town under the sea that is home to many sea worthy creatures)- including a spontaneous sponge named Spongebob. He lives with his pet snail, Gary, next to two neighbors- a grumpy clarinet playing octopus- Squidward, and his best friend who is a starfish who couldn't tell his hand from his foot- named Patrick. He also has a friend who lives in an air dome, and she's a Texas native squirrel named Sandy, who got bored with life above water, so she moved to the ocean. Spongebob works at the Krusty Krab along with Squidward, a popular restaurant owned by the greedy Mr. Krabbs. And there is Plankton- a microscopic sea creature who owns his own restaurant- The Chum Bucket- a very unpopular restaurant, that hasn't gotten a customer since it's opening- so, of course, Plankton is always out to steal Mr. Krabbs' secret Krabby Patty formula, causing trouble for the krusty krew. Spongebob goes through one predicament after another, and this show is just hilarious. Some may find Spongebob annoying, but for those like me, we love him! 10/10.
93 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great show for all ages.
jfishe5531 December 2006
I have been watching spongebob since I was 5 and I'm 11 and its great! I would give it a 25 if I could! I hope they make a second movie. The first movie was great!I bet the second one would be great.If they make one.I can not wait till the next episode.It is the greatest show. Spongebob is so funny!I laugh all the time.My sister likes it.I watch it every day.I hope lots of kids watch it.

I think it should have something like spongebob hour.

My big brother thanks its OK.

thank you for reading this.

I am a big spongebob fan.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A cartoon for all ages..
toddplayner26 September 2007
'SpongeBob Squarepants' is among the funniest cartoons out there. Spongebob is the lovable square sponge that radiates happiness and joy all day long. Patrick Star is his best friend and he is actually the scene stealer and the funniest of the lot. Krusty Krab is the funny boss who lives only for money(don't we too?)..Squidward is the eternally grumpy neighbor who sponge and Patrick loves to annoy..

The main driving point for this cartoon's success is the humor..a sponge living in a pineapple is a sure recipe for success.. I am 27 and I just love this cartoon..I have friends who ridicule me when I watch sponge episodes on TV or catch it on DVD and i've just one reply- the humor and the smile this cartoon brings on my face is just worth it..
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I love Spongebob
Amy9 August 2005
I first discovered Spongebob square pants while I was on holiday in Florida. It dawned on me when I got back to England that we could get it on Nickelodean so I started watching it all the time and loved it! It's basically a kids show although sometimes it does have some jokes that are obviously intended to go way over children's heads. And I love it for that. Loads of my friends love the show and we're all surprised that we could be so entertained by a small yellow sponge who lives in a pineapple! Oddly enough though, my favourite character is not Spongebob. I love Squidward and Plankton and their bitter bored outlook to life. They seem remarkably cynical for Nickelodean which is why this show is a breath of fresh air and hugely popular.
48 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best Cartoon Ever!
Dick_Starky23 February 2005
Spongebob Squarepants is a sea-sponge. He is shaped in a rectangle, and is in the form of a common household sponge. He lives in a pineapple under the sea, in the town of Bikini Bottom.

He is often found to be annoying his cynical neighbor Squidward, the grouchy Clarinet playing squid next door, who definitely thinks the sea is half empty.

Next to Squidward is a large rock, where dwells a starfish with about as much intelligence as his home-sweet home. He is Patrick Star, neighbor to Squidward, but lifelong friend to Spongebob.

Over yonder lives a 'land squirrel' by the name of Sandy Cheeks. Her hobbies include the search for the 'Hay in the Needlestack', to biking in the Industrial Park.

Finally there's Mr. Eugene H. Krabs, penny hugging/pinching proprietor of the Krusty Krab; Spongbob's beloved workplace, and the home of the Krabby Patty.

On the subject of the Krabby Patty, that brings us to the esteemed Sheldon Plankton, arch-rival to Mr. Krabs, and generally very evil. His constant attempts to steal the Krabby Patty make for very funny episodes.

In Summery, this show can be summed up with a single word: Brilliant. It is witty, smart, extremely funny, with timeless characters, appealing to all ages.

10/10 A Classic!
97 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great show for all ages
thanksbutnothanks98914 September 2005
I have been watching this show since I was about 9, and I am now almost 14 and I still find it hilarious. It doesn't contain profanity or harsh language, so it's appropriate for all ages. Even though I also enjoy shows on MTV, I believe that Spongebob Squarepants is a great show for all ages. Even my mom enjoys it. When I first saw the plot line, a story about a sponge who lives undersea, I thought it would be stupid. But I've been watching it for 5 years so obviously it stuck with me. Spongebob wouldn't be anything without Patrick Star, Spongebob's dumb neighbor and best friend. Spongebob Squarepants can teach you lessons, it can make you laugh, it maybe will even make you cry. Even though Spongebob is supposed to be an adult, it shows that you're never too old to act younger than you are. Spongebob is a great show no matter how old or young you are.
72 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
HOLY CRAP!!! SpongeBob SquarePants is funny!!!
dereklarma22 August 2007
I'm 15 years old, I have a cousin who is 5 years old, and my mom is over 40. What do we all have in common? We like SpongeBob! A show that is for all ages. SpongeBob is a silly cartoon that reaches young, old, and in between. Younger kids will enjoy the silly antics and slapstick. While teens and adults will enjoy a lot of adult and more witty humor that passes over little kids heads.

The show takes place underwater. The main character, SpongeBob, is a talking sponge, who works as a fry cook for Mr. Krabs, the greedy owner of the Krusty Krab. He also works with his depressing and more sophisticated next door neighbor, Squidword Tentacles, who is constantly annoyed by SpongeBob's crazy, stupid antics. SpongeBob's other neighbor and long-life best friend, Patrick Star, is a talking pink starfish that maybe the most stupid character ever. There is also Plankton, a tiny but evil character that is jealous of Mr. Krab's restaurant and always is trying to steal his formula for the sacred Krabby Patty, but he always ends up failing miserably. Then there is Sandy Cheeks, a squirrel that for some reason lives underwater in a space-suit. Sandy befriends SpongeBob and Patrick and loves to do exciting things with them. are these not the most ridiculous characters.

You might be thinking, this sounds stupid. Well it is stupid, thats the beauty of the show. The premise is so ridiculous that anything can happen. None of the episodes ever continue the story and plot of the previous episode. Its a cartoon. Every new episode starts a new story. And the story lines of the episodes are just sometimes ridiculous, but the characters in the show are so good that everything works. Squidword is a great straight-man for the comedy. He seems to hate his life because SpongeBob and Patrick are constantly ruining things for him. Not on purpose, SpongeBob and Patrick are just stupid. Especially Patrick who is my favorite character. The show at times seems to make a point on how stupid he really is. Sometimes Patrick seems mentally retarded. But he is good at heart along with SpongeBob. Mr. Krabs on the other hand is just plain greedy. His character amuses me because he is so cheap that its ridiculous. He'll do anything to save a dollar or make an extra penny. And Plankton is the worst one of them all. Plankton comes up with these Genius plans to steal the Krabby Patty formula but he has one problem, he is an 8th of the size of everyone else. all of these characters make for great comedy.

There is stupid comedy in SpongeBob, but there is also a lot of jokes and situations that only adults can understand. There is dark humor and even some witty jokes. Sometimes you will even see some references to pop-culture events. Kids will enjoy the silly stuff when adults and teens will enjoy some of the other jokes.

This cartoon is unique because its a kids cartoon but all the main characters are full-grown adults. Yes there sea creatures but they are grown-ups. But SpongeBob and Patrick act like little kids. Thats what I find charming about the show.

Watch SpongeBob Squarepants! Any age can find humor in the show.
37 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The best cartoon ever?
demonchessmaster26 June 2005
I've only just started getting into cartoons again after not watching them for so long. I heard about Spongebob Squarepants and decided to check it out. Now I watch every episode religiously! It's amazing! I don't think I ever seen anything as surreal or as funny in a kids show as this! The show takes place in Bikini Bottom, an underwater town. Spongebob Squarepants (voiced by the amazingly talented Ton Kenny) is a sponge that works as a fry cook at the Crusty Krab, run by one Mr Krabs (voiced by Tom Clancy who many people will remember from Shawshank Redemption). Spongebob is a kid at heart and a little stupid, but gets up to the most amazing adventures. Alongside Spongebob are his best friend Patrick Starfish (Bill Fagerbakke) who is even more stupid than Spongebob, Sandy Cheeks (Carolyn Lawrence) a squirrel that lives underwater for some reason, Squidward Tentacles (Rodger Bumpass) Spongebobs moody next door neighbour, Mrs Puff (Mary Jo Catlett) Spongebob's driving instructor and Plankton (Mr Lawrence) a very tiny sea animal with a Napoleon Complex.

What makes the show so funny is the situations that Spongebob and his friend Patrick get themselves into. They are both very stupid and child like, meaning that they get into trouble on a regular basis, which makes for exciting episodes. There are some huge laugh out loud moments and some of them stuff that they get up to will make your stomach churn with laughter. All the characters are amazingly put together and they all work. Each have their own personality which allows them to carry on the story and let Spongebob interact with them all.

One of the funniest stories is the send up of Batman and Robin where Spongebob and Patrick try to bring out of retirement their two favourite heroes. Mermaid Man (Ernist Borgnine) and Barnacle Boy (Tim Conway). Anyone who's ever watched the classic Adam West Batman will appreciate the humour of this episode! All in all, a very funny cartoon. It's insane enough for kids to enjoy, but also so funny that many adults will enjoy it (as long as they get the humour). Take it for what it is. Don't' try and analyse it. Just watch and enjoy.

Oh and one more thing. In one episode, the background music is provide by metals most greatest heroes, PANTERA!!!!!!!!

10/10!!!!!
54 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lost its soul
frl_charlie11 October 2012
Although the titular character of SpongeBob was often painfully oblivious to his tormenting of those around him, he was naïve, childish and friendly at heart. All he wanted was to have fun and make others as happy as he was. The show revolved around his undersea adventures jellyfishing with his friend Patrick, doing Kay-Ra-Tay with his Texan friend Sandy, unknowingly frustrating his arrogant neighbor Squidward with his unrelenting optimism, and doing what he loves most, cooking Krabby Patties at the Krusty Krab.

The lessons SpongeBob learned in the series weren't executed in a cheesy way, and were often what led to classic musical numbers. Like when SpongeBob learns that he shouldn't try to get people to like him with cheap jokes (like ripping his pants). Or when SpongeBob spends time with the Krusty Krab's tiny jealous enemy Plankton and Plankton mangles the meaning of friendship. And when Squidward finally lets himself trust others when he wants to impress his high school rival Squilliam.

The show has a hilarious execution of karma, too. Because Squidward does occasionally show remorse and guilt, he's sympathetic. But that doesn't mean it isn't funny how he's often the punchline of the joke. For example, Spongebob may step outside and greet the flowers with a big smile. But when Squidward comes out and barely musters a grunt, the flowers scare him back into his house. Later in that same episode Squidward ignores Spongebob while riding his bike and tells himself 'remember your karma', but then immediately flies off the bike, falls off a cliff and explodes.

The humor isn't exactly like Looney Tunes because it's more reliant on dialogue, although the influence is clearly there, what with the emphasis on exaggerated expressions at key moments. Like SpongeBob's smug grin when he realizes Squidward likes Krabby Patties. There are also the clever little jokes. Like when there's supposedly a sad or touching moment going on between SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs and there's a close up of Squidward crying, but then it zooms out and there are hot onions next to him, and that isn't really the punchline because it's too obvious. There's also the episode with the talent show where Squidward is so egotistical that he doesn't have a clue how ridiculous his dancing is, which is clearly inspired by 'Showbiz Bugs'. It's easy to see their love for the classics, something that is rarely seen nowadays in American animation.

I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of Patrick, but I certainly wouldn't want him out of the show as he does provide some comic relief. For example, the episode with the clam at the zoo was one of the funniest episodes in my opinion, as well as I'm with Stupid. Mr. Krabs could have been just a one-note character, and in many ways he is, as he is practically defined by his greed, but he does show more than just that facet. In the episode where SpongeBob ropes Squidward into believing that Mr. Krabs is a robot, it's easy to feel bad for the guy getting all his things smashed. You even feel bad for Plankton when things don't go his way sometimes.

Sandy, to be honest, is not one of my favorite characters, although she had her funny moments like all the characters. She's usually the very strong character who does all she can to help the others when there's something wrong, and I think that's a bit boring. Her only interesting trait seems to be her competitiveness. Her episodes did often teach great lessons, though, like tolerance towards those who are different.

I loved the episodes that involved Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward, because the message of them was that you never know you'll like something unless you try it. And no matter how many times Squidward learns that, he never seems to get it into his head, which of course makes for many fun episodes that put him through pain (though not to the point of cruelty). It's especially funny how he often gets himself into these situations because he's so insecure that he puts words into SpongeBob's mouth.

As for the post-movie episodes, the show became a cash cow for the desperate network. If nothing else, the new episodes have made me realize that letting something go on long after it was meant to die can lead to unspeakable horrors.

The 'new' SpongeBob is instantly recognized by the exaggeration of all the characters' traits for the benefit of the writers. The first episode that marked the decline was the first one after the movie, 'Fear of a Krabby Patty'. The art style is inconsistent and strange, the story feels very rushed and is generally uninteresting and unfunny; the fact that they started the season with a typical Plankton episode – Immediately after the movie-- isn't too promising anyway.

The later seasons involve a disturbingly bouncy SpongeBob harassing and stalking Squidward... even to the point of tearing his toenail off simply because he is just that stupid now. And why does Squidward suddenly have a toenail? I don't know. Ask the sadistic writers. It gets worse, though. An episode actually revolves around horrific facial expressions that probably kept many small children up at night. But worst of all, the very worst episode (though it's hard to pick one) has to be 'Are you Happy Now?" an episode that encourages suicide. Not because it shows Squidward sticking his head in an oven, or because he looks like hes about to hang himself, but because at the very end of the episode Squidward says "I don't want to be happy!" And he has a meltdown, while SpongeBob admires him and says 'he's so handsome!'. You can't tell me they aren't trolling.

I love the Spongebob that wasn't taken over by greedy, strange people. Now it's nothing but a hollow shell.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's just not the same show anymore...
SpongebobFan091220 November 2012
Been a Spongebob Squarepants fan since 1999, and quite frankly, I am very disappointed of how much this show has changed over the years.

Here's a brief summery of it:

Season 1 (1999–2000) — The early classic episode years: When the show first started, it wasn't bad. Yes, there was less humor, and the stories were slower-paced, but they were strong stories, and (crucially) the characters were funny, likable, and identifiable. (Despite being roughly drawn.)

Seasons 2 and 3 (2000–2004) — The later classic episode years: Pretty much all Spongebob fans would agree that you can't get better than these years. The writing team was at its absolute best and the stories were all fresh. Most, if not all, of the greatest episodes came from this period ("Band Geeks" "Chocolate With Nuts", "Wet Painters", etc). In these days there was no such thing as a bad episode. There wasn't a single episode that did not make you laugh non-stop for 11 minutes.

Seasons 4–5 (2005–2007) — The poor episode years: Season 4 marked the beginning of the gradual decline of Spongebob Squarepants. It was the first ever season to have bad episodes. Yes, there were still some goodies (such as "Skill Crane" or "Krusty Towers") but some really poor ones were there in the mix, too ("Good Neighbors", "Funny Pants", "All That Glitters", and — worst of all — "Karate Island"). And by season 5 (when most of the original writing team had left), we had episodes that weren't just poor, they felt like a completely different TV show. (Episodes such as "Ghost Host", "SpongeHenge", "Banned in Bikini Bottom", etc). We were all thinking that the show was going through a rough patch, but this was only the beginning of what was yet to come…

Seasons 6–now (2008–present) — The crap episode years: Ever since seasons 4–5, Spongebob Squarepants episodes had always been somewhere between excellent and occasionally poor. Then, in season 6, they began making absolute crap. The Spongebob as we've known and loved was all but dead. Some of the worst offenders were: "The Splinter", "Professor Squidward", "Pets or Pests", "Dear Vikings", and many others. But probably the one moment when every Spongebob fan realized — for certain — it was no longer the same show, was when Mr. Krabs becomes obsessed over a penny that SpongeBob finds in "Penny Foolish". This episode had absolutely no humor or plot. It concluded with Mr. Krabs selling out thousands of dollars he had just to receive one darn penny. The writers might as well of had him selling out the entire show's fanbase, while at it. From here on, the crap episodes just kept coming more and more and these days you can go almost an entire season without finding a good one.

So in conclusion, I'm rating the show 5 stars for the first 3 seasons and the semi-decent 4-5 Seasons. However, I can't give the more recent episodes even the slightest praise.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great show with a few bumps in the road
nathanelmer29 January 2016
Great! But some episodes and seasons are bad.I like Sponge bob but, its newer episodes can be bad. awesome since 1999. BUT, please fire the new ones so they can not mess up modern Spongebob again. It is funny and has great humor and more. Here is the turning point: in the newer episodes before 2015 episodes, the writing is terrible, Patrick is so dumb and unfunny,and it has gross overly detailed animation[ not the general animation,the character designs] great show, but can bump in the road easily. Keep it up,nick!or not. thanks Breadwinners.... but still, a great piece of work by nick that needs some patches.... hopefully.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
10 stars for what it USED to be, and 1 star for what it is now
whatever_12328 October 2009
Ever since I was a kid, Spongebob has been my favorite Nick cartoon. At least he used to be. Sponebob used to be the only funny, creative, witty show on Nickelodeon. The concept of the show is so original! A pineapple under the sea with a sponge living in it? Who else would have come up with that? The jokes were hilarious and aimed at fans of ALL ages. Spongebob used to be great, and sadly, it has dumbed down to the abysmal level the other poor excuses of cartoons that are all you see these days. Spongebob has become something terrible. The new episodes are boring, dumb, and the jokes are atrocious. I watch one episode where Spongebob and Patrick get in a fight and try to build sandcastles and attack each other. I didn't laugh once. I found myself trying to find any hint of something amusing, and failed. Not only is the witty humor of Spongebob dead, the characters are all being butchered. Spongebob used to be a fun, happy-go-lucky kid at heart, and he was funny. Now, he's overly sensitive, stupid, and (you'll hear this many times) GAY. He really is. He and Patrick act like they are MORE than best friends, if you know what I mean. Also, in a newer episode, Spongebob says, and I quote: "I like Squidward." in the most GAY tone you will ever hear from a homosexual man. Patrick used to be hilarious, and stupid, but in a believable, witty way. Patrick used to make me laugh every time he was on the screen. Now, he's not funny at all. He has also became SO stupid that it's just plain annoying and unbelievable. It really hurts me to see him in the new episodes. Squidward used to be funny also, but in his own sarcastic, superior way. His reactions to Spongebob's many intrusions and his bad attitude was entertaining to watch. Now, he's just plain boring to watch. He seems way too obsessed with himself, and he's very depressing. Mr. Krabs used to be obsessed with money, but in a funny, believable way. Now he's so obsessed with obtaining money it's almost dangerous and unhealthy. It seems he would even boil himself in oil just to earn a penny. It's pretty annoying now. Sandy... I don't really know what to say about her. She's smart and I like her, but her personality never really seemed a huge addition to the show. Although, I really enjoyed her in the old episode, Texas, which remains one of my favorites to this day. Now, they really made her boring. All she does is offer scientific advice to Spongebob and that's about it. What has been happening to Spongebob really makes me sad. Looking back at the older episodes, you really wouldn't know that it was possible for such a great show could turn into such a load of crap. Like all the other terrible cartoons on television, (i.e. The Mighty B and The Penguins of Madagascar), Spongebob's new episodes need to be taken off television. If you're going to watch this show, watch the older episodes. They have all the wit, humor, and heart that the new episodes lack. Please, new writers of Spongebob. Watch the old episodes, take notes, and please, STOP DESTROYING OUR Favorite CARTOON CHARACTER.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Someone needs to take a stand and end the show before it is degraded even more.
achsaphillippi88 February 2012
Once upon a time, Spongebob Squarepants was the largest jewel in Nickelodeon's crown. It was charming, clever, and genuinely hilarious. It was a huge part of my childhood. My friends and I recite lines from the old episodes all the time, and we still laugh at them! Then, the movie came. Oh, don't get me wrong; the movie was pure gold! But since then, the great Stephen Hillenburg left the show and allowed it to rot away.

Nowadays, our favorite undersea sponge has been cut down, degraded, and utterly destroyed. That obnoxious, overly-emotional yellow square in the newer episodes? That is not Spongebob. It can't be. I really feel that kids should not be allowed to watch him anymore. It is a widely-known fact that kids imitate what they see; and believe me when I say that you DON'T want them imitating "Spongebob." He is far too emotionally disturbed. One minute he is unbearably and obnoxiously ecstatic for no reason, and the next he is screaming and crying like a particularly difficult baby. And he doesn't cry for a few seconds in a funny way, he cries for minutes on end like an unfortunate soul burning in hell; meaning that it is mentally painful to watch. Yeah, no one should let their kid mimic this kind of behavior. On top of all that, his voice has become incredibly high pitched and nerve-grating. Maybe Tom Kenny's overused the voice and now he's losing it. Whatever the reason is, it doesn't change the fact that it is incredibly annoying.

And speaking of annoying, the show itself has simply lost it's touch with the humor. The old episodes were incredibly witty, and appealing to all ages. I still laugh at the jokes to this day. But then, one day I decided to watch a newer episode of Spongebob. I was horrified at what I saw; there was no actual humor, just attempts at humor that fell extremely flat. None of the jokes were funny! I found myself sitting there, trying to FORCE myself to laugh. But nothing at all was even a tiny bit amusing. The verbal jokes were incredibly lazy and dry, and many times felt forced. The physical humor was not any better. The writers for the show were running out of ideas--I could tell.

I also have a few things to say about the animation. I don't know what happened, but I think the older episodes looked a lot better, and more rugged like other cartoons such as The Angry Beavers (great show, by the way). The newer episodes' animation features brighter colors, rounder, thicker characters, and obnoxious details that really should have been left out. Spongebob's face, for example, conveys far too much happiness and ecstasy, to the point were it gets a tad frightening. In fact, all the characters express far too intense emotions at times that are either very annoying, or borderline scary. In summation, if the look of a show is important to you, maybe you should stay away from the newer episodes of this far too long-running TV series.

Someone needs to take a stand against Nickelodeon, for subjecting us to watch this garbage that used to be gold. If this show had stopped after the movie was released, every individual who grew up with Spongebob would have been a lot happier. Please, only watch the old episodes. The new ones are so awful, it actually fills me with pain to think about them. Also, keep your kids away from the show. Spongebob has become a terrible emotional influence. Unless you want your kids to become horrible bipolar monsters, STAY AWAY FROM THE NEW EPISODES. Only let them watch seasons one through three. Nickelodeon needs to end the reformed Spongebob's reign of terror.
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The new episodes are garbage.
Carrie Martin28 November 2013
It pains me to give Spongebob Squarepants a 1 because I used to watch it all the time as a kid! When I was growing up the episodes were great! It was witty, fun, and quirky humor. I'm eighteen now and the loved show that I grew up with is gone now. I watched the show with my niece a few times recently and I was shocked! The episodes are truly disgusting. The scenarios were so weird, gross, and outright inappropriate for young kids to watch. I really could not believe that it was on for Saturday morning cartoons! The new spongebob episodes should be on Adult Swim. I am absolutely appalled with how much this show has changed. I don't know if less effort is being put in Ir if they are trying to cater to a new audience, but I know that I wouldn't let my children (if I had any) watch the recent episodes of this show.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good in the early years
kfreyleue19 April 2009
I can recall back when I was a wee lad about five years old when this show came out. And I thought it was a pretty good show. It was funny and kept me interested for a very long time Judging by the 8.2 rating of this show, most people agree.

The show started to lose its quality around 2006. Don't get me wrong here, the movie was hilarious, but I think that was the last ounce of humor this show had. It started to become really stupid after that Whose idea was it to give Sandy that back-story of being sent underwater by science monkeys to create a banana peeler? Wasn't she a karate expert before? And what about Mr. Krabs? I know he was a greedy jerk who once risked his life to save a dime, but he has become way too about money. And don't get me started on Patrick and Spongebob. They were pretty stupid in the peak years, but I think they have lost all of their intelligence.

Do you remember that song "Now that We're Men" from the movie? Remember how courageous they became? If this is the case, why do they act like babies even more than before? They cry all the time! They didn't cry at all back in 1999 except when their feelings were truly hurt.

In my opinion, Spongebob is dead. This tenth anniversary bullshit really needs to be the last we see of Spongebob. I'm getting really sick of this awful show that was once a great one.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Spongebob Squarepants - Used to be golden but now dirt.
johnr75428 December 2011
Spongebob was an wonderful show. Spongebob was a naive, optismic sponge, Patrick was a dumb yet hilarious star, Mr. Krabs was a cheap krab who owned the KK, Plankton was Krabs' enemy, Sandy was the karate and Texan squirrel, and Squidward was a sarcastic squid who hated Spongebob's activities. The show was awesome and hilarious. Example:

Once upon a time, there was a ugly barnacle. He was so ugly that everyone died. The end.

Is this the KK? No, this is Patrick.

Hilarious days.

But then The Spongebob Squarepants Movie was released, and this happened:

Once upon a time, Viacom was happy with the end of Spongebob. One day, they accidentally brought Mr. Krabs to the real world, and forced them to make worser shows and continue Spongebob with worser equipment, or they would get killed.

Yeah, that is not true, but now, the show sucks.

Like if a 1-year old and Spongebob were in a crying competition, Spongebob would easily win at a crying competition.

And if Wario (TM) was to face off in a cheapness competition with Mr. Krabs, guess who would win?

Watch seasons 1-3 and the movie. Spongebob is now the worst show on Nick. Nick sealed its grave.

The show is now as bad is dirt. Find "Help Wanted" to "Spongebob Squarepants Movie". Don't watch an episode after Season 5.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Masterful, perhaps mis-targeted, surreal stream-of-consciousnessparody
Brad Eleven3 January 2001
"SpongeBob SquarePants" is an hilarious and often unpredictable cartoon series aired at this writing on Nickelodeon. Its regular times are Saturday & Sunday mornings, with occasional marathons and a semi-regular feature on Nick's Friday evening U-Vote feature. The massive amount of hype surrounding its release in mid-1999 suggests that the Nickelodeon staff really likes the show.

The series is clearly for adults, in the same sense as "The Simpsons" and "Beavis and Butthead" are. The marketing, however, is quite child-oriented, and somehow, the series has become associated with other Nickelodeon features which actually offer redeeming social value for children, viz "Wild Thornberrys" and "Blue's Clues". I don't mind, personally--I enjoy watching SpongeBob with my toddler-age children, although I do find myself answering lots of interesting questions ("Why is Squidward dancing like that? It's scary.", "You can't put fake arms on like that, can you, Daddy?", "Why is Patrick so dumb?")

The show features the voice talents of Tom Kenny (a perennial supporting voice in cartoons) as SpongeBob, Rodger Bumpass (another voice talent veteran) as Squidward the, well, squid, Bill Fagerbakke ("Coach"s Dauber) as Patrick the Starfish, Carolyn Lawrence as Sandy Cheeks (SpongeBob's love interest, a squirrel with an air helmet), and Clancy Brown ("Buckaroo Banzai"s Rawhide) as SpongeBob's employer, the tight-clawed Mister Krabs. I have noticed in many features that "Mr. Lawrence" is credited as a writer; I suspect a husband-wife team, given that Sandy Cheeks gets some great dialogue--but that's pure conjecture, and I heartily welcome correction or corroboration alike. There have been several celebrity appearances, most notably Ernest Borgnine and Tim Conway as the voices of fictional superheroes Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy.

I like the damn show. I was hooked on it for at least a year, from the Clutch-Cargo-flavored introduction to the United Plankton logo at the end of each episode. The plot lines' continuity is above average, with a well-developed cast of supporting characters who populate Bikini Bottom, SpongeBob's home. There are the obvious suspension-of-disbelief requirements, such as the watery environment's inexplicable tolerance for electricity and exhaled air, but this is easily counterbalanced by the whimsical misusage of jargon (SpongeBob, in a desperate moment says, "I'll use the Shell Phone!").

Classic episodes include "Bubbles", "Moon Rocket", and "Home Sweet Pineapple".
39 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Avoid the new episodes.
Jaden Krall (ImSpidey2)16 February 2013
I HATE the new Nickelodeon. Especially the new SpongeBob. It went from awesome to atrocious. I want to kill every writer who worked on it.

First of all, the characters are backwards. SpongeBob is now annoying, Patrick is now brainless, Squidward is now always grumpy, Mr. Krabs is now incredibly greedy, Sandy is now a plot device, and everyone else is no better.

The writing is childish. One episode literally showed SpongeBob looking for Patrick for 85% of the episode.

The episodes are torturous, such as the Splinter and House Fancy. The humor is all gross humor(and I despise that)

There are no positives for this show. If you want to watch SpongeBob, just watch the old episodes. You don't want to watch this. This deserves to sink into the dead sea.

I'm very tired of having to tolerate this garbage. I've had enough of Nickelodeon. This has gone too far.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to burn the Nickelodeon studio to the ground.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gone from gold to crap
rreeyore18 May 2010
Spongebob Squarepants used to be Nikelodeaen's signature series. All the characters were good and the plot lines had meaning, and the show had talent. Nickelodean said in 1999 (when the show was created) that they would do three seasons and then do the movie. and that was it. until after the movie in 2004 the show boomed with popularity. so nickelodeon renewed the show for a forth season. After the movie, series creator and creative writer Stepen Hillenburg basically left the show and Paul Tibbit basically took over everything. This is when the show started going down hill. Then more rookie writers were hired and gave the plot lines dry, stupid humor. Everything that the first three seasons and the movie had set in stone was then defied and questioned in the past three seasons. all the characters have just became stupid. Spongebob has become high-pitched and annoying. Patrick is just oblivious to anything, now. Sandy is too smart and is overused. Mr. Krabs has become TOO cheap and his cheapness has been reused in too many episodes. Squidward has become too sarcastic and obsessed with himself. TOO many plot lines involving Plankton trying to steal the Krabby Patty formula. Spongebob has just become a whiny baby. If people thought he was gay when he came out, they should look at him now! It isn't funny any more. All of the plot lines are extremely predictable.(Plankton tries to steal the Krabby Patty formula, Mr. Krabs pinches a penny, Spongebob cries.) Nickelodeon is just bleeding this show dry, such as what FOX is doing with the Simpson's. They know people will continue watching it and they will keep on bringing in the MONEY. They will sponge off of this show for as long as they can.(pun intended) The show used to be for adults and kids alike, now it should be put on Nick Jr with Dora and Deiago. I would have given this show a ten star rating for seasons 1-3 and the movie. Now a one. I 100% recommend seasons 1-3 and the movie(especially season 1) Spongebob used to be the Coupe De Ville of Nickelodean, know it's just like the rest of the shows nick is limping out to the barn with.(Mighty B, Penguins of Madagascar, Back at the Baryard.)
32 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ahh yes, the good show...
Yoshi666626 April 2006
I remember when I first saw the show, the episode: Bubblestand. I loved that episode and decided to wait for more episodes. That was when I noticed that five million more episodes came on. Watched every single one of 'em. Tom Kenny does a REALLY superior good job on the voice on Spongebob. I loved it as a little kid, and I still like it today.

I love this show so much I could hug it. Too bad they haven't made recent and decent episodes these days. The newest one sucked. Anyways, this show is a really cool one because there is no point to it and there is mindless comedy! D:. I recommend most of you to watch it, for it is the best.

A really fair show indeed.
36 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved seasons 1-5, 6-9 were just bad.
judegpdx22 March 2016
This show has to be one of the greatest shows of all time, if your not counting seasons 6-9, I know most people say either seasons 1-3 were the only good ones or 1-3 were amazing 4-5 were OK, but I think season 5 was good it might just be nostalgia talking but there were definitely good episodes in seasons 4-5.

Lets face it all the episodes in seasons 1-3 were amazing (even though Gary takes a bath still creeps me out) and there were definitely good ones in 4-5 such as: Dunces and Dragons, Krusty towers, Have you seen this snail?, Partick smartpants and I could go on for hours but those are some in my opinion. There are also good episodes from season 6 and a couple from 7 like: Spongicus, SB vs The Big One, Dear vikings, Sand castles in the sand, Truth or Square and Pineapple fever and yet again I could go on and on, good ones from 7 are: Spongebobs last stand, That sinking feeling, Krusty dogs and enchanted tiki dreams.

I think it is time to end this amazing show though. All opinions are mine.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Has been show
Nikolai Henson25 June 2014
This show used to be great and have great characters. USED TO. Nowadays this show used way to much filler to stall having to write because the new writers ARE DEMENTED they think Mr. Krabs driving plankton to SUICIDE is funny. Plankton straight up said he was waiting to be run over by a bus because he was constantly being tormented by Mr. Krabs. The new writers think gross out humor is funny. Squidward is the ONLY semi- likable character. Since the towns people are two faced, hypocritical, asshole, bullies who always do terrible things to the main characters for no apparent reason. Sponge bob should have ended with the movie so Nick wouldn't play this LITERALLY 12 times a day. Squidward is tortures mercilessly for doing nothing wrong in almost every episode. And in little yellow book Squidward and THE TOWNSPEOPLE read sponge bobs diary when Pat- Prick makes fun of sponge bob and bullies him while the towns people laugh (weren't these two friends at one point?). Then sponge Bob runs away crying and the towns people blame Squidward and claim they didn't know it was sponge bobs diary? WTF?! First of all the bullies, i mean towns people were making fun of sponge bob because of the diary so how did they not know? Then at the end Squidward gets tortures and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS to the townspeople. This episode is just one of many example with messed up morals and predictable endings.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Was the best animated show on Nickelodean, but the newer episodes don't work for me
TheLittleSongbird21 February 2010
When "Spongebob Squarepants" first started, I was one of those who watched it religiously. I absolutely loved it, and thought it was the best animated show on Nickelodean. I loved the fact it was funny, creative and original. It was vibrantly animated, with lavish colouring and convincing character features. The theme tune, what can I say? Probably the catchiest theme tune out of the shows airing on Nicolodean now. The writing was witty, funny and even intelligent, and the characters were endearing, from Spongebob himself, cynical Squidward, Eugene H. Karbs and the hilarious Patrick. And the voice acting was well done.

So why did I not give it a higher score? Like "Rugrats" and "The Simpsons" the newer episodes don't work. They aren't as funny or as creative in terms of written quality as the older episodes,relying too much on toilet humour, and the voice acting sometimes is lazy, Patrick in particular now seems bored and world weary now. And Spongebob, the voice is way too high. The episode ideas aren't as original or as well thought out, in fact they are rather predictable and unrealistic. The animation and the theme tune are pretty much the only things that make the newer episodes remotely watchable. All in all, I do really like this show, for the sense of fun and creativity it has, but I just wish the newer episodes weren't as tired. 7/10 Bethany Cox
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this