Bring It On (2000) Poster

(2000)

Quite enjoyable
Boyo-27 September 2000
This movie was extremely enjoyable and I recommend it. The characters are not annoying for the most part, and I especially enjoyed seeing new faces Elisa Dushku (Missy) and Jesse Bradford (Cliff). They have screen presence and should be in front of the camera for many years to come, especially Elisa, who is really very beautiful. When you look at her, there's so much there, unlike most actresses whose faces do not say anything. You can tell there is alot going on in her mind just by her face.

The screenplay is intelligent and very funny and aside from a slow stretch or two, I really liked the movie. It is not like "Clueless" or anything else, which of course is a good thing.

One of my favorite scenes is when Cliff and Torrance (Kirsten Dunst) are brushing their teeth. Its probably a throw-away scene and there is no dialogue, but it was really great, for me at least.
43 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Terrific Movie For Teens of All Ages
kljucec96 September 2000
I thoroughly enjoyed "Bring It On". The film's brisk pacing was perfectly suited to its theme, thanks to director Peyton Reed, the writing smart, sharp, and consistently and authentically funny,(as well as, at times, genuinely thought-provoking)thanks to writer Jessica Bendinger, and the acting solid all around. I also liked "Bring It On" for what it didn't have-alot of tired, cliched boy-girl relationship stuff, and/or gratuitous sex/nudity. The opening dream/cheer sequence was a moment of sheer, brilliant comic/satiric movie magic, and later, when the professional choreographer shows up to help the Toros out, he almost steals the show. But what impressed me, perhaps, most of all about "Bring It On" was the wonderful chemistry between the two beautiful-and talented-young female leads, Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku.
42 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Energetic, Well-Scripted Fluff
d_fienberg20 February 2001
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded," says Sparky, the modern dance-influenced choreographer who from $2000 dollars a pop teaches cheerleaders the mysteries of Fosse-inflected "happy fingers." Bring It On, which was a surprise hit in the fall of 2000, clearly believes that cheerleaders are far more than hoofers gone to seed. Despite the frequent jokes at their expense in the film, Bring It On shows cheerleaders are spirited, athletic, graceful, and most importantly, relevant to the 21st Century. Colorfully shot, attractively cast, and snappily written, Bring It On is hardly a great movie, but it's perfectly appealing for most people and I'd guess that the millions of cheerleaders and former cheerleaders nationwide will get a lot more out of it.

The plot is simple. It's like Rocky. Or Varsity Blues. Or any other sports movie you've ever seen. New captain of the five time national cheerleading champions Toros, Torrance (Kirsten Dunst) is shocked when the new girl on the squad (Eliza Dushka), a gymnast, tells her that all of the routines that made the squad famous were stolen from an inner city school in East Compton, two hours up the coast. Determined to prove that they can do it themselves, the Toros go through a fairly short journey to self-empowerment. There's a pounding bass line, lots of teens in short skirts, some fun flipping, and a lesson about being true to yourself and believing in others.

The film also takes on any number of myths about cheerleaders. Are male cheerleaders all gay, or do they just like grabbing girls' rears? The answer, of course is a little from column A and a little from Column B. Are cheerleaders all airheads? Well, the issue of whether or not these girls go to class is done away with in two minutes at the beginning of the film. From that point on, education, books, and homework are never mentioned. Any occasional signs of intelligence are held up to ridicule, though these "sweater puppets" are all quick with a witty retort, so they must have something going on upstairs. And finally, is cheerleading a sport? Well, this film comes out firmly on the side of yes.

For all of its verve, Jessica Bendinger's script is too reductive for the movie to be taken very seriously. The white girls are obviously upper scale and spoiled. Naturally the white girls don't have any sass at first and naturally they borrow it from their African-American neighbors. The black girls are supposed to be poor. Not that that's really depicted in this day-glo colored world.

In fact, through the wonders of Hollywood Central casting, the squad from East Compton actually looked even more racially homogenous than the "Buffys" from San Diego. This is an inner city high school that has a cheerleading squad featuring a dozen girls with identical light complexions and straight hair. The racial assumptions at work here would be offensive if the movie placed any premium on reality. Instead, as directed by Peyton Reed, everything is colorful, glossy, and easy on the eyes. The intricate cheerleading routines are mostly shot from strange angles or awkward close-ups to make it impossible to tell if the cast is actually doing any of the cheering stunts at all.

When Kirsten Dunst makes good small movies (see The Virgin Suicides or Dick), nobody goes to them. So I suppose it's fitting that this movie was a smash. She's always an entertaining screen presence and for now she's still young enough that it isn't ridiculous for her to keep playing high school characters. How her career progresses as she matures remains to be seen. The rest of the cast seems like they were picked from the set of a WB series. Now since I kind of like a number of WB series, I don't mean this as an insult in any way. The Warner Brothers network has proven a good training ground for attractive young women to read catchy dialogue and everybody in Bring It On seems very skilled with the zingers. And as the aforementioned Sparky the choreographer, Ian Roberts is just hilarious and his scene is easily the funniest part of the movie.

In the end, Bring It On is fairly satisfying. It's also amusing to note the strange directions that this movie is able to stretch the limits of the PG-13 rating in terms of language and certain forms of implied sexuality. But that's neither here nor there. Bring it On gets a not-to-be-ashamed-of 6/10 from me.
49 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic cheer for the best teen movie and an original film
ivo-cobra816 October 2015
Bring It On (2000) is a underrated teen cheerleading movie with Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku. It is my favorite high school teen comedy and I honestly don't care what anyone says about this film. A champion high school cheerleading squad discovers its previous captain stole all their best routines from an inner-city school and must scramble to compete at this year's championships. I love this film. Torrance Shipman (Kirsten Dunst) was the most memorable and my favorite character from my all time favorite actress Kirsten Dunst. I went trough high school watching this film. I love sport comedy films, like were Major League (1989) and I love this team sport comedy film. It was followed by four direct-to-video sequels, none of which contain any of the original cast members. Bring It on is original true, the best, cheerleading comedy in the film series.

I love this film and I always will, it is my favorite film of all time. At least it is much better than they are teen comedy this days. Jessica Bendinger wanted to mix cheerleading and hip-hop, the two tastes that taste great together, it's like peanut butter and chocolate, which she did. The choreography very beautiful, the dance moves were pretty good and amazing.

Long before "Pitch Perfect" became a hit franchise and every group of women became our #squadgoals, there were the Toros and the Clovers. Fifteen years ago this month, Universal released "Bring It On" into theaters, a low budget, high-school comedy about rival cheerleading teams that spawned four spin off films, a stage musical, and helped pave the way for the Barden Bellas, the McKinley glee club and many more The plot of the film centers on Torrance Shipman (Kirsten Dunst), who inherits the position of captain on her high school's cheerleading squad and attempts to lead her team to a sixth national title. However, Torrance is informed by the newest team member, Missy Pantone (Eliza Dushku), that she is in possession of a stolen routine. When the originators of the work vow to win, Torrance and her squad must go to different lengths in order to create an original performance.

The Toro cheerleading squad has spirit, spunk, sass and a killer routine that's sure to land them the national championship trophy for the sixth year in a row. But for newly-elected team captain, Torrance (Kirsten Dunst), the Toro's road to cheer glory stumbles when she discovers their perfectly choreographed routines were stolen from a hot hip-hop squad across town. Now the squad must scramble to find a new routine to compete in this year's competition.

I love this movie and I am not saying that as a blonde or a cheerleader! No offense : / This is the best Bring It On movie out of all of them. Kirsten Dunst in an amazing actress. This movie is funny, very cute, and the original Bring It On!

At Rancho Carne High School, cheerleading is everything to student Torrance (Kirsten Dunst), who aching to be named head cheerleader of school squad the Toros, continuing the aggressive pursuit of dominance started by graduating member, Big Red (Lindsay Slone). Requiring a new cheerleader to help fill a gap caused by an accident, the squad welcomes Missy (Eliza Dushku) to the team, though the new student isn't sure her cynical ways are a good fit, while her brother, Cliff (Jesse Bradford), welcomes the assimilation, attracted to Torrance and her indefatigable spirit. When she realizes routines established by Big Red are actually stolen from the East Compton Clovers, led by icy Isis (Gabrielle Union), Torrance loses confidence, requiring support from the splintered Toros and outside influences as she attempts to rebuild what was lost.

Director Peyton Reed and screenwriter Jessica Bendinger (who tried to reheat her formula for 2006's "Stick It") favor bigness when it comes to the antics contained in "Bring It On." Summoning blinding cheerleading spirit, the production turns the quest for trophies into a cartoon, complete with aggressive close-ups and screamed line readings, while the writing retains finger-snap timing and an interest in developing its own vocabulary (e.g. Torrance demanding that the Toros are not a "cheerocracy"), always on the go in terms of characterization and plotting (a mid-movie detour with the Toros and a professional choreographer harboring an obsession with "spirit fingers" is amusing).

The rating I am giving is 10/10 for been Entertained sport film. The film isn't perfect, it has flaws. The Toros cheerleading squad should have win on the end of the film and they didn't. That move hurt the film. In all the sequels all cheerleading squad team won in this film they didn't. The film is good because of Kirsten Dunst. Believe it or not, it's been 15 years since everyone's favorite campy cheerleader movie, ​Bring It On​, debuted. Kirsten Dunst, aka captain Torrance Shipman, appeared on ​The Late Late Show With James Corden ​last night and talked about her first major lead role. "None of us knew it would become a hit," she says. "We were just a couple of young people in San Diego making a Universal film no one cared about.

10/10 Grade: A Studio: Beacon Communications Starring: Kirsten Dunst, Eliza Dushku, Jesse Bradford, Gabrielle Union, Clare Kramer Director: Peyton Reed Producers: Marc Abraham, Thomas Bliss Screenplay: Jessica Bendinger Rated: PG-13 Running Time: 1 Hr. 38 Mins. Budget: $10.000.000 Box Office: $68,379,000
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flimsy stuff done rather well
Chris_Docker22 October 2000
This is a movie where more talent than necessary has been invested in a film basically aimed at entertainment-seeking adolescents, people interested in dance routines, and a few older men who enjoy watching young girls jump about. It follows the fortunes of an award-winning cheerleader team and the hapless football team they support.

A film about cheer leading, something that is, as far as I know, a uniquely American phenomenon, sounds pretty cheesy. The remarkable thing is that the acting and dialogue raise it a bit above the minimum required and the cheer leading dance sequences are a revelation for anyone who thought it was just about waving arms in the air and shouting support for the football team.

Gabrielle Union (10 Things I Hate About You) and Kirsten Dunst (Drop Dead Gorgeous & Virgin Suicides) were both cheerleaders at school - did this help with the authenticity? The amazing routines are quite dazzling to watch - requiring a very high level of stamina, physical fitness, athletic ability and dance technique. The overhead panning brings them almost to the level some of the old song and dance movie scenes with synchronized dancing. Synchronized dance in itself is difficult stuff, but fast paced synchronized dancing (to a great soundtrack, by the way) involving major aerial throws, difficult jive moves and lots of personality thrown in, is quite an achievement.

The film never takes itself too seriously, from the football announcer who says at the end of the match, "our next defeat is scheduled for next Tuesday", to the out-takes while the credits roll, the attitude is firmly tongue in cheek.

The script includes plenty of teenage bitching reminiscent of Clueless (adolescents often seem to show their intellectual prowess at clever, and often vicious repartee, that is all par for the course), but the acting is convincing and even the awkward issues of race and homosexuality are handled well. One cannot but help congratulate them for making a good film out of such a flimsy premise.
54 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cheer-Worthy
great_sphinx_427 March 2001
Interestingly enough, one of the most tired and boring cliches in both film and high school has been the subject of two genuinely enjoyable, if fluffy, movies in less than a year. I speak of course, about cheerleaders and both 'Bring It On' and 'Sugar and Spice'. But while 'Sugar and Spice' was campy and surreal, 'Bring It On' is a self-consciously serious movie advancing the idea of the cheerleader as athlete. While this idea is an honest and accurate one, it's one that audiences will only take so far. Cheerleaders may indeed be finer athletes than those on the sports teams they cheer for- I'd believe it, although I've never been a cheerleader and only rarely watch them on ESPN. I do know, though, that 'sissy, girly' activities are very frequently more difficult than 'tough, manly' activities, but try telling the boys that- or a movie audience. No matter how many big-budget and/or 'true story' movies are made wherein football is a metaphor for life or boxing is an affirmation of the greatness of the human spirit, even the most fascinating stories about sports like gymnastics or figure skating are strictly television movie-of-the-week fodder. In this atmosphere, you cannot make a cheerleading movie serious. You have to make it a joke. The smart folks behind Bring It On, though, realized that if they could strike a certain balance they could fulfill expectations but also get their point across. So they filled their flick with cute, peppy girls like Kirsten Dunst- always a delight, and well-cast here as a golden girl with a conscience- and snappy, irreverent jokes. They have a PG-13 locker room scene and a bikini carwash. They also have broken bones and high stress- very real factors in the lives of competitive cheerleaders. The squad is co-ed, and we get to know two of these curious, maligned creatures commonly known as male cheerleaders. One of them *is* gay- and an extremely well-adjusted, likable and "non-faggy" one, at that. The other is straight, and as horny as any frat boy in Animal House. We also have a tough girl named Missy transferring from L.A., along with her cute brother Cliff and the news that the Toro squad's cheers are not "100% original", as they had believed. Unfortunately for Kirsten's character Torrance and her Rancho Carne Toros, their ex-captain stole all their prize-winning routines from an East Compton squad (which are perhaps overly rude, even given the circumstances), that will be going to Nationals for the first time. So what's a cheerleading squad to do, except experience various pratfalls on the way to coming up with their own routine and competing and learning something about valuing your own strengths? It's better than it sounds, surprisingly- and refreshingly- enough. As for macho posturing at sports movies, the fact that this was a sueprise hit and 'Sugar and Spice' was not might just be a sign that there are audiences too smart to believe that any movie about female athletes must automatically be completely silly. What a surprising- and refreshing- change.
34 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A guilty pleasure!
Pro Jury22 March 2003
This film does not aspire to be more than it is. Accepted for what it is, BRING IT ON is a perfect 10.

The quest here is the national cheerleader championships held each year in Orlando, Florida. In real life, the young competitors are tiny, thin-legged kids with braces. In BRING IT ON, all of the cheerleaders are fully developed amazingly nice looking So-Cal starlets. The result is eye candy perfection!

BRING IT ON has the right mix of good-natured fun and old fashioned sex appeal. A bikini car wash. Pajama sleep-overs. Cheerleader pom-poms every place! Each actress's smile lights up the darkest of nights. Pure American fun.

Speaking of fun, please don't miss the ending credits. BRING IT ON is an instant modern day classic that stands up to repeated viewings. Highly recommended for what it is.
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fresh, intelligent, fiercely self-aware comedy.
Alice Liddel6 February 2001
This delightful comedy uses its ostensible theme of cheerleading rivalry to comment on its own genre, the teen movie. Given a genuinely exciting reinvention by 'Clueless', and reaching a peak with the likes of 'American Pie' and '10 Things I hate about you', the genre is in danger, as all successful genres are, of exchanging its wit, visual exuberance, engaging playing and agreeable sentiment for cash-hungry formulae and all-round laziness.

'Bring it on' falls into neither of these traps, but is aware that its genre is exhausting itself, and raises a number of pertinent issues. do filmmakers, like the Toro cheerleaders, continue their success by ripping off others' tricks? Is it possible to be original any more, or is the best we can hope for a clever spin on older, wider sources (this, of course, applies to cinema and all art in general)? Most pertinent, and 'Road Block' had already touched on this, is it time we jettisoned the toothy, white, middle-class young, and their oh-so-harrowing traumas, and allow a more representative teen demographic into the tacitly racist genre?

'Bring it on' may not entirely escape this last accusation - the black cheerleaders have no real humanity of their own, we are not given the same insight into their backgrounds and personalities as the white girls, beyond catch-all under-privilege. They are a mirror in which the whites can examine their complacency or flaws and correct them - literally so in many scenes, where the whites 'reflect' the blacks' movements, and the latter distort them in return, thereby commenting on them.

However, this touchy racial subject matter has a major benefit on the narrative arc. The plot is the old stand-by: a team of underdogs against the odds, triumph against circumstances and expectations. This would be tiresomely formulaic, except there are two teams in the film with equal claims on our attention and sympathies - it would be unthinkable for a Hollywood film today to have poor black people lose against pampered whites, but every stylistic decision - the humanising of characters; the rites of passage and socialising-of-misfits narrative; screen-time etc. - favours these whites. This creates a genuine tension, added to little asides (such as Torrence's brother's T-shirt, 'Cheerleading = Death') that make a familiar narrative interesting, problematic and unpredictable.

This is not to deny the familiar pleasures of the genre - the beautiful, clothes-shy young stars (the film gets to leer and satirise such leering!); the witty dialogue and bitchiness; the screenplay sharp about traditional issues of power and community; revelatory, stylised dreams and memories; the unforced energy. 'Bring it on' is a rare instance in the last few decades of a musical, and the various cheerleading routines are exhilerating and inventive, revealing to many a hitherto hidden purpose of a much maligned group, while still retaining the right to tongue-hollow that cheek. (AND a Shakespearean finale, where the actors come back after the curtain, and show us it was all play).
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good (clean?) fun!
jesus2dot013 September 2000
I am not going to make any excuses. This was an excellent film for all ages. So many of the positive reviews I have seen prior to this one have had to make disclaimers (e.g. yes, it was childish...) but I will not do so. I am going to be confident in the intelligence of anyone reading this to understand that the quality of a film always has to be taken in the context it was meant to be viewed in. Bring It On is an excellent farce making fun of The Stereotypical Cheerleader. At the same time, the characters were very real, well played, and easy to empathize with. The movement (dance?) was lots of fun to watch. I also felt that the characters were much more realistic than many teenage characters are usually portrayed in film - more sarcastic and intelligently witty and sexual than usual. I think this is good, because many films give the impression that all teenagers are naive and childish, when in fact this is not necessarily the case. I must admit though that I couldn't help thinking that certain things had to happen the way they did for the sake of Political Correctness, and that is disappointing, but from the filmmakers perspective understandable. It was good to see a little bit of gay-friendliness in the film, which is rare to find in any films.

Overall, I thought it was a lot of fun and I left the film feeling good!
32 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
May the best moves win!
Michael O'Keefe29 August 2001
Torrance Shipman(Kirsten Dunst)becomes the new captain of the high school cheer leading team that takes pride in winning competition championships year after year. She discovers that the cheers and routines for the last several years have been stolen from another school's squad. Torrance relies on a reluctant gymnast named Missy(Eliza Dushku)to convince the cheer team to learn new material to take to the next state competition. What a shame it is that the football team is so awful that the schools pride is in the cheerleaders. This is an interesting eyeful, but actually just another vehicle for the enticing Miss Dunst.

Fine support from:Pua Kapiolani, Tsianina Joelson, Clare Kramer and Nicole Bilderback. If you have a cheerleader fetish, you will think this romp deserves an Oscar. Nonetheless enjoyable.
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A 'cheer'ful film!
I love this film. The script, the plot line, the actors....They all gel together to make a brilliant movie.

By far, the best actresses in this film has to be Kirsten Dunst, Eliza Dushku, and Gabrielle Union. They really made the film what it was, and they were all perfect for the part.

My only criticism is that there was little need for the character of Cliff (Played by Jesse Bradford). It took the movie away from it's main point of cheer-leading. Though I liked the tension between him and Dunst, it wasn't really needed.

I never got a chance to see the sequel, but I'm sure that it isn't better than the original.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Movie!
BreanneB12 July 2005
This is an excellent movie with excellent, acting, costumes, directing, production, script storyline, music and lessons. The biggest lesson of all that it teaches is that winning is not whats important it's trying your best that is. The other biggest lesson of all that it teaches is that you should give everyone and anyone a chance no matter what.

Spoiler Warning

The thing I find the most amazing about Torrenance is that she was not only willing to give everyone and anyone a chance, but she also encouraged Missy to join the squad. I love cheerleading and movies about it, and this is one of the best ones out there. Missy is an awesome cheerleader, who takes Carvert's place when she falls and breaks her leg during the school year's first cheerleading practice. I think that she was great as a cheerleader. Kudos to the cast, crew and filmmakers. Two Thumbs Way Up!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I didn't go in thinking Bring It On will be winning any awards any time soon.
chrisbrown645318 July 2001
I actually only went to see it since it appeared at the time it would be the number one movie in the country. But much to my surprise it wasn't all that bad. Cheesy? Yes. Bad dialogue? Absolutely. Fun? I thought it was. It didn't take itself so seriously that it was horrible, and it took itself seriously enough that it was fun watching these kids cheerlead their little hearts out.

The plot... well the 5 time national champion cheerleaders from Rancho Carne High School in San Diego (they're the Toros) find out that all their award winning cheers were actually stolen from the cheerleaders at East Compton High (they're the Clovers). So now if they want to keep their championship dreams alive, they need to come together as a team and create their own, original cheer, and cheer like they've never cheered before. Lead by their captain Torrance Shipman (Kirsten Dunst), the Toros make it back to the national championships, and go head to head with the Clovers to see who really is the best darn cheerleaders in the country. Yes, the plot is cheesy, but I think that was going to be a very obvious thing from the beginning. The movie is about cheerleading after all. Not that I have anything against cheerleaders, but a movie that centers around the trials and tribulations of cheerleaders is not going to have a serious and deep story. The dialogue was appropriately bad and yes, cheesy enough to make you wish that it were serious and deep. However when you have the bright, peppy and beautiful Dunst in the lead, how can you not smile and cheer right along with all of them?

Also along for the ride, one of my personal favorite actresses, the not-yet-but-soon-to-be-popular Eliza Dushku, from Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame. In my book, she's right up there as far as looks go. She plays Missy, the hardened transfer student who joins the cheerleading squad only because the school doesn't have a gymnastics program. Making her start off as a bad-ass, then saying she was a gymnast didn't feel right to me. But she comes around pretty quickly and she and Torrance become fast friends. Also, since this is a teen dramedy, Torrance and her off to college boyfriend have problems, and Missy's brother Cliff is right there to help Torrance out with all her cheerleader angst. OK, so obviously the only reasons any guy would go see this movie is because either his girlfriend dragged him along, or because he wants to see a bunch of girls in cheerleader outfits, and tight clothing. And really, can you blame him? The girls are attractive, and putting them into various stages of dress, and undress, certainly can't hurt the grosses. Locker room scenes, bikini car wash scenes, and of course the cheerleading scenes were worth the price of admission for me (which of course was only $3.75, one of the perks of living in suburbia).

The soundtrack was pretty cool, and the dance/cheerleading sequences were actually quite well done. And the fact that the movie never wavered from its position that to these girls (and some guys) cheerleading was very important. To a majority of us who have never cheerleaded, it's easy to say that it's not anything to get worked up about, but I look at it like if you said that to a football player in a Texas high school, you'd probably be shot on sight. Cheerleading is important to the cheerleaders, and that's what this movie was about. Cheerleading. And hot girls in cheerleading outfits. Sorry, I am a guy afterall.

So overall, yes Bring It On is cheesy with some over the top dialogue. But it also has some good music, some good cheerleading scenes, and of course, it has the girls. It's not something that is going to be heard over the microphone at next years Academy Awards, but I thought it was just good summer fun.
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bring It On- great cheers and choreography- great script
Tegladys1 January 2006
Bring It On was not that big at first, but it became very popular very quickly. Starring Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku, I thought it was fantastic. It had funny dialogue and great cheers that made you want to get up and learn them. The romance between Torrance Shipman and Cliff Pantone was adorable. And the friendship between Missy Pantone and Torrance Shipman looked as though it could last forever. Even a small movie like this one can be deserving of a 10 from me. The plot basically consisted of: Torrance Shipman becomes captain of the Rancho Carne Toros cheerleading squad. A new girl on the team, Missy Pantone becomes her best friend and shows her that all of their routines were stolen from the East Compten Clovers. They work to come up with a new routine for nationals and at the same time, Torrance has the hotts for Missy's brother, Cliff Pantone. At nationals, the Toros come in second with their new and original routine and the East Compten Clovers win first, and finally there is peace between the squads, and it ends with a kiss between Torrance Shipman and Cliff Pantone. This is just the summary, but I suggest that everyone go and watch it!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe we should join the team.
Spikeopath5 October 2008
Torrance is the newly appointed captain of cheerleader champions the Toros. After one of the team suffers an accident, the Toros recruit gymnastics star Missy Pantone, but upon witnessing the Toros first routine Missy is disgusted and points out that it has been stolen from another team called The East Compton Clovers. This opens up a whole can of worms that not only brings the Toros into conflict with the Clovers, but also means that they must come up with an original routine if they are to win the American championship honestly.

Spirited picture about cheer leading? Well yes it is, it's witty, smart and ever so amiable. Tho the film loses some of its sharpness in the final quarter (a brave ending would have made all the difference), Bring It On clearly touches on race and class issues whilst bringing to the fore the competitiveness of cheerleader teams. The usual formula's of bitching and back stabbing are naturally in here, and of course no film of this type would be complete without some strand of treacle plot love, but the mix is fine and the exuberance of the routines is hugely enjoyable cinema. Kirsten Dunst, Eliza Dushku, Gabrielle Union and Jesse Bradford fill out the cast and all offer something in the way of watch ability.

It could have been so much better for sure, but Bring It On is very entertaining film about a subject that until this picture came out (subsequent sequels would follow) was hardly tackled with this sort of vigour and intelligence before. 7/10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Film, good plot, good actors, great script, and interesting
the_moody_youngest23 November 2006
This has to be one of the greatest films ever made. Really I am serious. I saw it when it first came out in 2000. I really like cheer leading but I myself am not a cheerleader. i am more of a punk/skater chick. But I love it. It has great energy and I liked how they portrayed cheerleaders, it was very realistic. Some of my friends are cheerleaders and I know what they are like. Just like they say in this film, cheerleaders are athletes. Not air heads. I hate how in all these shows and movies they show cheerleaders as the following; dumb, mean, rude, popular, idiotic, totally ditz. That's not what this is. I liked Missy. She was more of a motorcycle chick/tomboy before she was convinced by Torrance to join the Toros. I like that she became more confident and more feminine after wards but still kept her sassy attitude. I also liked Torrance. Instead of her being a mean captain, she was sweet and nice to everyone. I really liked Isis and Jenelope too. Isis had a great attitude and was a strong leader. Jenelope was just really funny. Great attitude. This movie didn't use corny humor. This movie was realistically funny and well acted. The cheer routines were also very good. The music, the gymnastics, the dance, etc. They weren't those silly routines you see in movies. They were athletic and really cool! I would say my favorite routine was the Clover's routine at both regionals and at the finals. They were really interesting routines. But the Toros rocked too. The great actresses made the movie. Kirsten was sweet, Eliza showed a lot of emotion, and Gabriella is just the perfect part for Isis; pretty, athletic, great actress, perfect! This movie had a great script and great cheer leading. Watch it! Boys like it too. My friend, Tim thinks this movie is hilarious! Watch it, all genders. Really realistic film.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I hate admitting how much I like this
IAmTheEnemy10 August 2006
This movie is cheesy, preppy, dumb, simple and BRILLIANT! Granted I saw this when I was 14, I thought this movie was fantastic. I think the main audience for this movie is girls aged 11 - 17(ish), but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's your typical teen movie/chick flick.

Performance wise, what can I say? If you've seen Eliza Dushku in anything before - her performance is exactly the same (which in this case is OK). Kirsten Dunst is good, but how hard is it to play a blonde, teenage, cheerleader? The basic jist is The Toro's are cheerleader champs. Torrence (Dunst) is the captain. When Missy (Dushku) joins the squad she points out that all their routines are actually stolen. The Toro's ex-captain stole them of the Clovers - the Toro's rivals. In order to win the championship, the Toro's must develop a totally original routine of their own, to prove the are the best.

It's as cheesy as it sounds, but it's ideal for a girl's night in. And there are quite a few funny moments. And if your young enough to get away with it, you'll pick up the cheers. No matter how much you try not to. And the cheer-leading routines in it are pretty impressive, too.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Warning - fully loaded with teen energy
Shaolin_Apu29 July 2006
There is hardly any other movie with such an opening scene like that what this baby has. Perhaps it would have been appropriate if the people who produced this had given a warning beforehand that there has never been anywhere such a start off like that. If people survive the opening without shocking too much from an outburst of that amount of energy they probably watch the film too.

It's a sports movie about cheerleaders with Kirsten Dunst leading the charge. The other characters will not get that much spotlight as her but there will be other cool persons around too. The story will also get more serious as the movies goes on. 'Bring It On' is not actually a comedy, although it is a very funny piece anyway. It doesn't make you think about deep philosophic questions but does every movie have to? This is only about cheer leading and it's a good one about it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What most people don't understand
rafajs773 June 2006
I tend to eschew frivolous films, and because of this I have had to defend my appreciation of this movie.

People find confusing that the movie shows both self-absorbed cheerleaders who believe the endeavor to be worthwhile and meaningful, and at the same time cheerleading's detractors. Also confusing is how a cheerleading squad could function without a faculty coach. The reason this is peripheral to the film is that the film is about fair play and sportsmanship, and it succeeds in conveying that message.

The dialogue is funny and approaches wit several times. My favorite line in the movie is delivered by Courtney (Clare Kramer): "I don't mean to be predictable, but I don't give a sh!%!" Perfect!

The acting is pretty solid, what seems like overacting to some is simply part of the satire that the movie is. I would recommend this movie to anyone.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie doesn't take itself too seriously
madduxgirl17 April 2003
Another user who commented on this movie compared it to such teen movies as Dick, Rushmore, 10 Things I Hate About You and Election. That was their first problem. Bring It On is not, nor was it intended to be, in the same category as these movies. All of these movies are great in their own right, but in my opinion comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. Granted, you don't necessarily have to put on your thinking cap when watching Bring It On, but that's part of the beauty of the movie. It gets it's point across without beating it into your head. Maybe cheerleading isn't as easy as it looks. Maybe cheerleaders aren't as dumb as they look. Maybe if you get past your initial opinion of someone, you'll find that you have more in common than you expected. The bottom line is that some days, after a long day at work, I just want to put a movie in and be highly entertained for a few hours, and Bring It On is the perfect movie for that.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable fluff, but bright and energetic fluff all the same
TheLittleSongbird19 October 2010
While Bring it On is not a masterpiece in any shape or form, I have to admit I really enjoyed it. Sure it is fluffy and predictable, with clichéd characters and scenarios, but when you look past the flaws you have a bright and energetic film with a fair amount to redeem it. For instance, it is beautifully filmed, and also has an agreeable soundtrack and sprightly cheer-leading choreography. The dialogue is smart and doesn't feel cringe-worthy or inane, the pacing is snappy and direction is decent. The performances from the cast are very spirited, especially from Kirsten Dunst who is appealing in the lead. In conclusion, not brilliant but energetic and dare I say fun. 7/10 Bethany Cox
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun!
famousgir17 May 2001
Bring it on is a fun movie. Kirsten Dunst is great as Torrance Shipman and Eliza Dushku is cool as Missy Pantone. Jesse Bradford is also really cute as Missy's brother Cliff Pantone. The music in the film is cool too and the cheers that the teams did were brilliant. Bring it on is a great teen movie. 7/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Surprisingly Awful
daveisit21 December 2000
I went to this movie with such low expectations it could have surprised me but it didn't. It was exactly as bad as I expected it to be. It lacked funny material which was all that could have possibly saved it. The audience as a result was left with a story that a two year old could have developed more creatively. The acting was probably the best part of the movie, but don't be fooled, it was also awful.
10 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE MOST DEPRESSING MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!
hireswell29 August 2000
Seeing "Bring It On" was more painful than having my wisdom teeth removed!! How this film made 17 million dollars in one weekend is even more beguiling. Is this what teenagers today relate to or were there just a lot of dirty old men who wanted to be teased by scantily clad adolescents? This film wants to be R rated but stay safely in the PG-13 zone, so what we get are ugly camera shots that are positioned just above the frontal nudity format.

The plot: A 5 time national champion cheerleading squad has to redeem itself after it is discovered that their award winning routine has been stolen from a much more talented inner city cheerleading squad. It's supposed to be a comedy but the only thing that made me laugh was the fact that this film was made. The young characters are so absorbed in cheerleading that you wonder how they plan to make a living after they graduate from high school: they barely acknowledge the fact that they have classes to go to. None of them seem to have any genuine emotions and all of them are downright annoying. If these kids were in "Friday the 13th" people just might cheer for Jason.

As I was watching it I began to realize that each scene was getting worse and worse. Some examples. The laborious scene where the cheerleaders audition a new member for their squad: the captain insists on the weird girl while the other cheerleaders complain saying the process is supposed to be a democracy, their corrected and told it's a "cheerocracy". Then the captain is later referred to as a "cheertator". There is also the scene where a choreographer, who is recycled out of every dance movie ever made, trains the girls. Amongst other things he tells one girl to starve herself to get thin; that's just a wonderful idea to put into a teenage girl's head. Then there are the scenes with the inner city cheerleading squad that so tirelessly stereotype African American speech and manner that I was amazed that this film was released in the year 2000 and not 1950.

What's depressing is that as this movie played I actually heard young people laughing. This is humorous to them? Then I came to the conclusion that as long as they keep going to movies like this we'll keep getting movie like this. Perhaps one day there will actually be a film that shows what it's truly like to be a teenager and it might even star actors who aren't in their thirty's. Until then we're stuck with this AWFUL, TRITE, APALLING, HORRENDOUS, ODIOUS, REVOLTING, HIDEOUS, LOATHSOME, REPULSIVE, IMMATURE, NIGHTMARISH, HORRID PIECE OF TRASH!!!!!!!!
12 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.