Crime + Punishment in Suburbia (2000) Poster

Narcotically Haunting...
lasherxl10 August 2001
When I first heard about this being based on Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment I was fearful that it was going to be another half-hearted teen version of a classic. I am so glad I was wrong.

While Dostoyevsky made his point with words, Rob Schmidt did the same with the films imagery which truly was both narcotic and haunting. He would make you feel as if you were in some drug induced dream/nightmare. You felt as if you were trapped between Heaven and Hell, happiness and sorrow, love and loss.

As the story progresses you watch the ghosts of Roseanne (Monica Keena) slowly absorb her. She goes from this glowing image of beauty to a shadow of a human being. It's stark and disturbing. While Vincent (Vincent Kartheiser) the seemingly gloomy one, who loves her from the beginning of the film is the sole voice of reason, hope, and beauty in her slowly cascading world of tragedies.

The film epitomizes the continuous hopelessness that many today feel but refuse to acknowledge. Although, I think what the film does best is that it shows us these sadnesses while reinforcing us with the concepts that we can make anything happen if we want to badly enough. Good or bad, we are the only ones responsible for our fates.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strangely haunting and beautiful
njscreenwriter4 March 2009
The 3 best aspects to this film are the acting, cinematography and soundtrack.

This film just made me a big fan of Monica Keena and Vincent Kartheiser. Both delivered dynamic and intriguing performances. Monica Keena's character is transformed throughout the film and she's able to convey that arc with great subtlety. Vincent Kartheiser's character was also conveyed very well, not overdone like so many other goth/nerd characters are portrayed.

The cinematography was great - visually compelling imagery and an unsteadiness throughout that lends to the feel of uneasiness with what is happening to the characters. It lends itself to the feelings, moods of not only the characters in the film but to the viewer as well. A great film engages the viewer and makes them feel as though they have been drawn into the world of the film.

Finally I'm a big fan of music and soundtracks that aren't cliché and don't dominate a scene. I'd love to get my hands on a list of all the songs used in the film.

The writing was decent, and many of the supporting actors played their parts very well - this easily could have devolved into overblown and overacted performances but nobody in the cast fell prey to that trap.

There's a strange morality to the story - one not easily discerned after one viewing. Of course there can be comparisons to the film "American Beauty" and while that one garnered all the praise and awards I believe this film is much more challenging yet far more fulfilling. It's more subtle and the answers aren't so easy to ascertain. I'll be watching this movie many times and I have a feeling I'll discover something new each time. Great movie!
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not a bad film
jots6626 June 2001
I'll admit, I was not in the most jovial of moods when I sat down to view Crime and Punishment in Suburbia, so the plot had a far greater impact than it would have had I been in an upbeat mood. But, at the same time I was expecting yet another glossy teen flick where a mess of pretty people prance around on the screen for ninety minutes, after which the credits roll to the tune of a popular radio hit. However, I found quite the opposite. I was genuinely moved by this film. Though it is not the most original movie I've seen, it touched me in a very unique way.

Ultimately, do not judge this movie by it's generic, mainstream movie cover. It is actually a high quality piece of cinema. And fellow teenagers, drop your Cruel Intentions and Bring It Ons and give this a try. It might not be oscar award material, but it is far more engaging than any of the pg-13 tripe they try and pawn off on you at blockbuster. Give it a shot. If you like it, good. If you don't, oh well.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Of The Best Films Of 2000!
sweetnlowdown210 January 2001
A powerful film that deserves much more attenion and credit than what it's getting. It barely played in theathers here, it was only in for about a week! The movie has wonderful acting by the entire cast. The standouts to me are Monica Keena who is the star of the film. I'm not sure on exactly how old she is, but, I honestly feel, that she does have a future in films. I think an Oscar nomination would be in order for her. But the chances of that happening are slim to none. And Ellen Barkin was wonderful in this movie as Monica's mother. It would also be wonderful to see her up for an Oscar also. But, again, the Academy would never nominate this film for anything. It's not mainstream enough. This is suppose to be a mordern retelling of Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment", while I fail to see any real comparisons other than the moral dilemma of murder, the film does a bad job retelling the story. But even so, I don't think the screenplay was bad. I think it was a very well written film, that makes sense, and is enjoyable to watch. I have nothing but great things to say about this films, but, I don't think it's for everyone. I think that has become obvious due to the very unwarm comments made by not only critics but also viewers. This is a movie I really hope people would watch and give it a try.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Surprisingly Great Teen Free Adaptation of Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment"
claudio_carvalho1 March 2005
Roseanne Skolnick (Monica Keena) is a popular cheerleader and girlfriend of the football player Jimmy (James DeBello), and she has a very dysfunctional family: her mother Maggie Skolnick (Ellen Barkin) is having an affair with a bartender and her stepfather Fred Skolnick (Michael Ironside) is a drunken and aggressive man. Vincent (Vincent Kartheiser) is a sweet and weird teenager, who studies in the same class and has a crush on Roseanne. He follows her everywhere with his camera, taking lots of pictures of her in the most different places or situations. When Roseanne is abused by her stepfather, she decides to kill him, with the support of Jimmy. However, her mother Maggie takes the blame and goes to the court for trial, being accused of murder. During the trial of her mother, Roseanne has to live with her guilt, being supported by Vincent. In the end, she has to decide: leave her mother be convicted and live with the feeling of guilt for the rest of her life, or assume the responsibility for the crime. "Crime and Punishment in Suburbia" is a surprisingly great teen free adaptation of Fyodor Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment". The screenplay is very well developed and the young cast has excellent performance. Although having a great moral in the end, with the redemption of Roseanne, the direction is so good that is able to conclude the plot without being corny. I like good contemporaries free adaptations of famous romances, and this one has not disappointed me. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Crime + Castigo" ("Crime + Punishment")
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
True Crime in Modern America
rajah524-39 March 2009
I would be more perplexed by the low rating and the many vituperous reviews if I didn't understand as much as I do about family dysfunction, alcoholism, irresponsible behavior and all that. Some people don't like this much truth in their faces. Oddly, it's not just the perps; it's often the victims, as well.

For me, this is just an artfully rendered case study of the stuff I deal with four days a week. But I see more Victor Hugo (and "Les Miserables") here than I do Dostoyevsky.

Yeah; I agree the execution is uneven. At times to the point of being almost senseless. But that may be part of the charm. Life in the world described here -is- uneven. At times to the point of being almost senseless. (How many adolescent females with alcoholic parents have I known who think life is senseless? A hundred? -Two- hundred?)

Can't say I "enjoyed" this movie. The "Jimmy Stewart" character (from "Rear Window") is just a little too obsessed to work in the world of a young victim / victimizer who seems, at least, to be trying to make sense of it all. The trial scenes may well be meant to have a dreamlike quality, but they just seem disconnected. And the whole trip is plain ugly.

But the fact that the whole trip -is- so ugly is a major reason why this film demands to be seen. Alcohol; frustrated, narcissistic fathers; cougar moms and hottie daughters are a recipe for disaster that's being cooked daily in suburban America. This is reality in modern America. It'd be nice to put a stop to it before our whole culture becomes dysfunctional.

Nice little wake-up call here.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An attempt to be arty which falls flat on it's face.
SpookyAtTheDriveIn16 February 2007
I hated this film, it was one of the cheesiest things I have ever seen. I rented it because it looked different from the usual teenage thriller types. Boy, was I wrong. I don't know what I hated more; the obvious trying to be emotionally intense or the obvious attempts to be cinematic. In both cases, they fail horrifically. I can honestly say that this is one of the worst films I have ever seen. From the poor acting to the cheese-fest killing scenes to annoying, hate-able protagonist I don't know which bit made me laugh most. This is one of those teenage films that tries to be American Beauty when really it's Confessions Of A Teenage Drama Queen. I enjoyed The Covenant more, at least The Covenant KNEW it was dumb, whereas this film is just in denial. I know a lot of teenagers my age think this is "arty" and "shocking!" but most teenagers are dumb as hell anyway. If you appreciate good cinema don't rent it, it sucks. If you have no idea what the words "good cinema" and "Gus Van Sant" mean, watch Donnie Darko, a film that is effortlessly cool and moving, unlike this lumbering piece of trash. "Best soundtrack of the year"? What movie were THEY watching?
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film is a pointless mess.
mustard_monkey29 June 2002
I knew nothing about this film before I saw it, so I was hoping it would be some undiscovered classic. Quite soon, however, I realised that it was pretentious nonsense. It had the air of being made by some studio in order to appeal to teenagers who write rubbish goth poetry in their bedrooms. It makes awful, contrived attempts to be "arty", while forgetting to add any actual meaning. The characterisation is almost non-existent, people don't seem to have any justifications for their actions, and while they may occasionaly give reasons verbally the acting is so poor that the motivation just isn't there. The dialogue, especially in the voice overs, is terrible and amateurishly written. The pace is painfully slow, since I hadn't read a synopsis of the film (and I'm not familiar with the source material, and the same probably goes for the target audience, which shows how misjudged the film is) I spent a long time wondering when this film would get to its point and indeed where it was going. There is no need for it to be so slow, and there is also no point in dividing it up into sections other than to have "cool" titles like "Damaged little f***ers" flashing up on the screen. Dividing it up into sections only serves to highlight the lack of structure and the inconsistency of the plot. The film is narrated from the point of view of a character who only appears sporadically throughout the film, and the film ends by concluding a plot line that is not very prominent except at the very beggining, so is quite pointless, yet acts like it is some kind of high art.

I realise this review probably reads like a jumbled mess but then so does this film. Life is too short for garbage like this.
11 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Story With Empty Promises
Darkest_Rose1 April 2003
Roseanne(Monica Keena) is a popular and beautiful student that is admired by a lot of people, especially by a lonely outcast Vincent(Vincent Kartheiser) who is obsessed with her and follows her around everywhere, hoping to get noticed . But Roseanne isn't so perfect like everybody thinks, she has a horrible life with her stepfather who one night, after her mother leaves, rapes her. The next day, Roseanne is totally devastated and she decides that she wants to kill him along with her boyfriend Jimmy(James DeBello). This movie started out good, it seemed like it was going to be a dark teenage drama but near the end, it turned into this cheesy bad love story with no plot. That was the problem with this story, it didn't really fit in anywhere. The only character i really liked was Vincent, he was so interesting and he had so much soul, not to mention that he was gorgeous. Anyways, I would give Crime and Punishment in Suburbia 7/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A compelling dark psychodrama.
=G=2 January 2001
"C&P in Suburbia" is a dark and somewhat staged psychodrama with misanthropic overtones which focuses on the teen daughter of a family in crisis and her search for self-actualization. This well cast, well acted, well shot, well directed flick's story is likely to be too black or severe for many. However, those who feel inclined to write this film off as "unrealistic junk" should remember one word. Columbine.
A new life
Stanley3418 July 2000
Watching this movie, I thought "Gosh, a parody of American Beauty, terrific!". But, in the long run, I realized I was watching a strange, disturbing, involving movie. A movie about self-punishment, violence, beauty, love, crime... all mixed up, just in our life. Michael Ironside is a glorious b-movie star: it was the first time I saw him playing in such a character, obscene and suffered at the same time. A movie about how to get a new life, passing through tears and blood. A religious movie, worthy of Martin Scorsese or Sam Mendes (I wish Mendes could equal Scorse
I need more than the Cliff's Notes
MBunge28 September 2011
This movie is like the world's longest synopsis. You get the general sense of what the story is about but none of the content or depth to make it worth watching. The characters get almost no time to do anything but be pounded down by the Almighty Plot Hammer. The dialog is never better than a bad daytime soap opera. And yes, there are good daytime soaps. When Days of Our Lives was about Doug and Julie and the guy who played LeBeau on Hogan's Heroes, that was some quality television. This film doesn't come close to being that engrossing. It just introduces us to people who are, more or less, arbitrarily unhappy and expects that to be enough to hold our interest. It's not.

Roseanne (Monica Keena) is a high school girl with a dumb jock boyfriend (James DeBello) and a gothy teen stalker (Vincent Cartheister) who turns out to be a Jesus freak. She also has some bitterly dysfunctional parents (Michael Ironside and Ellen Barkin). Roseanne's mom runs off with this random bartender (Jeffrey Wright). Roseanne's step-dad gets drunk and rapes her. The step-dad gets killed, someone who didn't do it winds up on trial and none of it has any impact. It just goes on and on and on and then on some more.

I've got no complaint with how Crime and Punishment in Suburbia was shot. The music is fine and scenes are well edited. I can find no fault with the cast's performances. And it's not like it doesn't make sense or is without a definable purpose. But there's no meat on these bones. It takes about an hour and a half for this movie to get to its first substantive conversation and that's mostly a monologue about teen age angst. Voice over narration is used as an obvious crutch when these filmmakers didn't have any better idea how to convey something to the audience. When the film wraps up by telling you what happened to each character, you can't avoid the realization that they could have all been eaten alive by meth-fueled fire ants for as much as you care about them.

Crime and Punishment in Suburbia is clearly one of those motion pictures that is supposed to connect with the viewer on a gut level and it's that investment which then provides the meaning and context for everything on the screen. My gut didn't connect with anything, reducing the movie to a tedious chore. If your gut is more sensitive than mine, you might get something out it. If you're bored after the first 15 minutes, though, take my advice and move on because it won't get any better.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overall effective, skewed teen guilt-trip flick
darkjosh25 October 2000
Crime and Punishment In Suburbia is just slightly above the normal teen character study of murder and guilt. It's bogged down by uneveness, some scenes feeling genuine and intriguing, others feeling as if they were lifted from the latest MTV video.

Crime and Punishment stars Monica Keena as a popular high school student dating jock boyfriend James Debello and yearned for by loner/outcast Vincent Kartheiser. Her parents' marriage (Ellen Barkin and Michael Ironside) is falling apart, and Keena is unwittingly caught in the middle of their violent breakup. After a altercation with her father, she decides to put him out of his misery.

The story is nothing new or groundbreaking, but the film is elevated by some genuinely disturbing scenes, as well as a few provocative performances. Ironside's pathetic father is a powerhouse of bitterness and brooding rage, and DeBello as the naive, dumb football player boyfriend eminates a tragic quality, bringing compassion to his character: this isn't the stereotypical dumb jock, it's just a young man trying to desperately grasp onto a situation he simply can't understand. These two performances bring the most strength to the film, overshadowing the sometimes cardboard performances by vengeful, doe-eyed daughter Keena and loner Kartheiser.

Crime and Punishment is no breath-taking thrill ride, nor is it a slow-paced potboiler. With an sometimes raw, indie feel to it but sometimes muddled script, it's certainly worth a look, if just for two terrific performances, one from veteran Ironside and the other from newcomer DeBello.

6 out of 10
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where the climax takes us doesn't make sense
lovintennis11 August 2017
This is an interesting one up until the climax. Roseanne totally screws her boyfriend over; I don't know what she's on. He tries to vent and explain to her his disposition in the restroom to no avail and you can't blame him. How this ends in Vincent's favor, with Roseanne's closing words of what way to find her heart, is so completely senseless. The movie makes a "happy" ending and a hero of Vincent; I don't see how it's a happy one nor how he's a hero. For a minor annoyance, I wished Vincent, through the climax, would tone it down a little on the sexy tone of voice. I did't entirely dislike it, just wished he'd ease up a little and sound a pinch more masculine.
Average revisionist tale
NateWatchesCoolMovies16 June 2016
Crime & Punishment In Suburbia follows the theme and story just as loosely as you'd imagine by glancing at both title and poster. It's It's own little nasty deviation on the classic tale, set in a decadent white neighborhood, and full of characters who are barely hiding the decaying darkness behind their fake personalities. Having never read Dostoyefsky's book myself, I can't in fact tell you how much is different, but I could damn well know that it's probably very much so. It concerns a hot young teen named Roseanne (Monica Keena, with a dash of Brittany Murphy in those eyes) who is outwardly a normal girl, but has elements in her life which start to taint that image and prompt violent behaviour. Her stepdad Fred (Michael Ironside, dialing up the drunken sleaze to a slow boil) is abusive towards her, and a alcoholic train wreck to boot. Her mother Maggie (Ellen Barkin in screeching cougar mode) is an unstable, clueless mess. Situations like that almost always end badly, which is an understatement here. One night when Fred gets too friendly with Roseanne, she snaps, something comes over her and Maggie and they both brutally murder him in an extended, grisly sequence that would give Oliver Stone bad dreams. From there on in its a dark and trashy morality play involving deception, false incarceration and manipulation on all the everyone's part. The film seems to revel in the excessive bad behaviour of it's characters, a decision which can be polarizing for audiences. It's ugly, sleazy stuff, but it does that very well, with all the actors taking full advantage of the mean spirited script, especially Ironside and Barkin. Just don't expect any pathos or straight arrow characters, this is a sociopath's game, through and through.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The stalker gets the girl
bkoganbing12 April 2015
Fyodor Dostoyevsky would have a whole lot of trouble recognizes today's me generation version of his classic Russian novel. His Raskalnikov was a lot of things, but not a voyeur.

Which is what Vincent Kartheiser is. Kartheiser's your transplant from the city teen who develops an obsession over popular Monica Keena. Keena is your Junior Miss teen queen who of course is dating a football player James DeBello. DeBello gets a nasty feeling about Kartheiser hanging around possibly seeing some intimate moments.

But the perfect teen comes from a nasty home where stepfather Michael Ironside abuses both her and her mother Ellen Barkin. Barkin is in fact now having a boyfriend Jeffrey Wright and the fact that Wright is Black is really driving Ironside up the wall.

One night Keena decides to do in Ironside and DeBello gets roped in on the deal just by being there. But it's Barkin who is arrested. Except for Kartheiser everybody gets something nasty happening to them.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but DeBello while he's a dumb jock is right about Kartheiser, he is a stalker. This might be the only film in history where the stalker gets the girl. I remember that happening on Law And Order but it was considered a bad thing in that episode.

Crime + Punishment In Suburbia might have intrigued Dostoyevsky but I don't think he would have liked it.
Misleading In Title and Premise
eric26200321 January 2013
If you go into this movie assuming "Crime and Punishment in Suburbia" to be a modernized rehash of the subliminal masterpiece of Fyodor Dostoyevsky's novel, you have been sadly misled. Sure it's convincing enough that the opening lines comes from the novel, which was it's way of luring the audience that the scenes afterwards will follow through the novel. In Fyodor's book, Raskolnikov protests against towards the moral scruples interfering in him by the society that revolves around him and murders an innocent lady. He later faces his worst crime he committed was through the guilty conscience that bestowed upon him. In this flawed modernized adaptation, Raskonikov materializes in the form of an adolescent girl named Roseanne Skolnick (Monica Keena), one of the leading characters in the flick.

This movie was completed after the hugely and far more superior "American Beauty", but was released a year later, this superficial film has many similarities to "American Beauty" in almost every detail and it's largely because it gives an overview of the similar clichés centring on well-oiled rich suburban-dwellers. Gloomy loner Vincent (Vincent Kartheiser) is constantly stalking Roseanne and is never without his camera. Given the opportunity to supply the narration of the movie, we hope that he can explain what's happening in the story or at least provide us with something intelligent about the story. We end up getting neither. His narration comes off as a confident New Age spiritual fanatic who believes that he can rescue Roseanne from the life she currently has. In "American Beauty", Ricky was able to use his camera to unravel the encoded layers of the human psyche. Vincent along with the rest of the cast waddles through the plot's twists lacking any kind of connections going through his mind.

The genre is pretty much like "American Beauty" and with the suburbs being the main settings it is utilized as an epicentre where the whole emotion of feeling loathsome manifests towards the civilians and puts a deflation towards their relatively comfortable establishments. In Roseanne's family are the ever-present familiar bunch of clichés we've all seen before. We have the mentally unstable stepfather Fred Skolnick (Michael Ironside) who is a heavy alcoholic, a harried and neurotic mother Maggie Skolnick (Ellen Barkin), and a popular little girl who's in a relationship with the school's top jock (James DeBello). What the film's intention was is to have Vincent guide Roseanne to the path of rediscovery and to change her views of the world eternally. At least that's what I assumed that's what it focused upon.

What made "American Beauty" poignant was that it showed how scornful it was but yet stayed humane in its entirety. It exhibits how human connections can get lost and it was executed with integrity and dark in terms of humour. This movie offers no humour,the camera angles were at a snail's pace, the soundtrack was embellished, the visual themes were forced and the narration was idiotic.

To completely set us off guard, the narration shifts from Vincent's to Roseanne's. In an emotionless voice-over, from jail she coldly states that she's enjoying her vacuous lifestyle. And when she was released she strangely follows Vincent likes he's one of God's advocates and admirably replies "What a strange path it took to find my heart." At least we assume that she even has one to begin with.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a well-acted movie with heart and something very special
frogsy9993 September 2008
Very watchable. A movie for the disaffected, in league with Splendor in the Grass, Rebel Without a Cause, Ghost World, and the many other high-school nostalgia movies about coming of age and not fitting into society. Yes, the view is from high school, but the issues are deep and mature. It is not brilliant writing but it works, without any too-slow sections. And the acting? Well, Ellen Barkin is in it (she should never have married the billionaire - she should have just kept on acting. Please tell her for me. - arjuna).

For Crime and Punishment (Dostoyevsky) fans, this is indeed something special. It contains so many reflections of that original masterpiece: from the trivial ("suburbia" sounds like "siberia") to the intriguing: the nihilistic existentialist murder of the old woman next door as an intellectual experiment and the unavoidable subsequent guilt and exile from the city to nowheresville, the way that guilt marks you, the strong undercurrent of faith in God (yes, this movie shows faith in God in a realistic way!) and its liberating power, the isolation and bleakness of siberia/suburbia, and, perhaps the most Dostoyevsky-like of them all, dream sequences brilliant and absolutely engaging in their unexpected improvisations.
Drama in Surburbia!
Sherazade20 June 2006
A young Surburbian nymphet (played by the ever raunchy Monica Keena) with too much time on her hands, devices a plan to murder her abusive stepfather with the help of close friends. A high school outcast (played by Angel's Vincent Kartheiser) who is secretly obsessed with her, documents and witnesses everything. But as you already know, no crime is perfect and she is eventually caught in a web of her own deceit for which she has to pay the ultimate price. When nobody believes that she is an innocent, it's up to her admirer to prove it. But is he willing to sacrifice all for a girl who on a normal day wouldn't even know that he was alive? Ellen Barkin gives a riveting performance as the dysfunctional mother of Keena's character and the film boasts a quite decent soundtrack.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A strange path to find your heart....
danielefimov17 January 2006
I found this movie laying around at a friend's place. After he told me that he had no idea of what it was about, I decided to take a look.

I've never heard of the director and most of the cast. Except for Michael Ironside (a very underestimated actor whom I mostly know from the rescent "The Machinist" and "Starship Troopers") and Ellen Barkin (The femme fa tale from "Sea of Love"). But (formely) good actors don't always ensure a good picture. So my expectations for "Crime + Punishment in Suburbia" weren't very high. For I was expecting a low-budget teen-thriller like many others we've been getting the past few years.

I was very surprised when I found out that this was a art-piece. A very good use of a low budget. A nearly perfect casting. Good acting. A great use of wide shots and daring camera-angles. A soundtrack that you don't hear often, but one that really works to complete the overall feel. This film goes up and down though a lot of different genres and you'll be surprised with sudden changes in paste and storyline.

There are a few minors, like holes in the script and flaws in the editing. But it's not that big a deal...

I'm sure that this film will not appeal to everyone. But if you like modern art-films, you'll enjoy this one.

It's just too darn bad that "Crime + Punishment in Suburbia" didn't get the attention it deserved...
I really enjoyed it!
alpha_trad25 July 2005
It kept me up until 04.00 a.m... so it means I enjoyed it! I didn't know it was based in a Dostoyevsky's book... I only found that out when I was searching for the soundtrack... and what a soundtrack...!!! I even thought it would be from another director... I liked it... it's not the movie of my life but I never thought it would end like that...

It's a good movie! But don't force yourselves into watching it... don't rent it... just watch it should it run on TV... You have to be loose and not waiting for the "movie"...

I'm a subtitler.. I should be working but I stayed in front of the TV.

Stay cool!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It grows on you... (May be Spoilerish)
blackeyedgurl12 March 2004
I first saw this movie at about 2 am on TV. I missed half of it and well, it didn't make much sense. When I saw it at wal-mart in the $5 DVD bin I bought it. Now I love it. The story is strange, and dark. As a high school student I was on the outside looking in so I related well to Vincent (played impecably by Vincent Kartheiser), and the film pretty much validated my opinion that the most 'perfect' people are probably the most screwed up. You can read the plot anywhere, but what this movie is about is what Rosanne says in her last line 'it took a strange path to find my heart.' You realize early on she is deeply disturbed, and the only one who sees it or cares is Vincent, who at one point states that she's drowning. He may be an obsessed stalker-esque voyuer, but he's also the only one who really sees who she is. In a sense it's a movie about seeing beyond the exterior and seeing who is inside screaming to get out. They have an unlikely friendship that by the end I was envious about. See this movie, you won't regret it, and I've got $5 on that.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It makes you wonder about fate...
silence_here13 September 2003
The strange thing about this movie is that it's based loosely on a very famous novel by Dostoievsky and now it's adapted to our time and not the 19th century Russia with accurate intelligence. I felt this was a movie with many issues underlined, love, passion, teenage, crime but especially it makes you wonder about fate. Will we all have a twisted path we must follow even if it feels insane? Nothing happens randomly? This movie moved me. Because the actors are mainly coherent, the scene work fabulous, I love the way they are divided in little black-titled chapters. Don't miss it if you want to ponder a bit about huge subjects. Many said this was a bad movie but maybe they had the book too present in their minds. Just watch it as an experience, I think you'll enjoy it very much. 8/10.
A Underrated Masterpiece!!!
kamaudemarco2 June 2003
SPOILER A well-thought out, modern adaption of a literary masterpiece...Great acting by Monica Keen as a popular, yet trouble teen who beneath the surface of flawless sexiness and grace, deals with alcoholism, patricide, molestation/rape, and subsequently murder....she is the subject of unconditional admiration for Vincent (a stellar performance by Vincent Kartheiser as well!!!, a eccentric, yet unpopular high-school Jesuit...a must see for anyone who enjoys the cinema which offers mystical insight!!!
Great acting, story, film
kelly_kirschner6 August 2002
This film sets a tremendous mood right away of a darker side to the suburbs. This is a common film element, but this film is right up there with David Lynch in its success. Monica Keena is, as always, fantastic in her portrayal of the confused and hurting (dying) popular girl with secret problems, while Vincent Kartheiser is amazing as the force that will ultimately save her. Every character in this film was sympathetic in some way (except the football coach, but hey), even the abusive father was complicated and not a 2 dimensional cop-out. You find yourself feeling bad for even Jimmy, the dumb but loyal jock boyfriend who just can't compete with the closeness that Vincent and Roseanne have. An amazing and thoughtful film that could turn trite at every turn, but manages to rise above.