Next Friday (2000) Poster

(2000)

Actually quite funny without Chris Tucker
DunnDeeDaGreat16 March 2002
Next Friday is actually pretty funny even though it lacks the film's first scene stealer Chris Tucker. Ice Cube makes a funny script with the help of new scene stealer Mike Epps who plays his cousin Day-Day. All in all if you just want a good time check this one out.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved that movie
lilkbraptor1525 July 2000
Next Friday is a movie i enjoyed to see all 4 times. That movie made me laugh so many times. The rating should be a 10 because i thought it was excellent. Ice Cube and Jacob Vargas were my favorite actors in that movie. And that African who came in the Pinky's store made me really crack up. OK, this is all for the comments,keep up the good work of making these kind of movies, and if possible, can the people please make a third part Thank you very much
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hope the crackakillers pay well, or its back to the ghetto you go!
SpackerMatt19 June 2000
First off: Why is Craig smoking? Why is Craig pimping? Why is Craig beating up Pinky? Where are the good Female Characters? Where is Smokey? Where is F. Gary Gray? Why is Craig's dad poop gag (good in the first one) so played out? Why is Baby D a rip-off of Felicia? Why is day-day's gf a rip-off of Craig's gf in Friday? Why is the soundtrack not as good as the first one? Why, in spite of all this, it's still funny!!!! If you haven't seen/don't like Friday, check it out. It's cliched (fat girl, crazy white guys, crazy mexican guys) but it's pretty good. 7/10
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I'm an Aztec Warrior, aaahhaa!!"
stu-2215 December 2000
That's my favorite of many funny lines from the Joker Bros. in NEXT FRIDAY. Jacob Vargas was hilarious, and he's been in a lot of other good movies like AIRBORNE, CRIMSON TIDE, MY FAMILY, GET SHORTY, SELENA, and ROMY AND MICHELLE. Justin Pierce was also another funny character, one most kids like me could identify with (white boy from the 'burbs who loves skateboarding but can't skate for crap). It's sad that he's no longer with us. Ice Cube is a talented guy, and he did the best (or worst) he could with his character, but it wasn't a shining role like it was in FRIDAY. The family (Uncle Elroy, Day-Day, Suga, Mr. Jones) got a little annoying at times. The "biches" (Joker's women) were very hot, and Lisa Rodriguez had a smart female character, something not seen much in movies like these. Also, the return of Tom "Tiny" Lister Jr.'s character was unnecessary. It was built up nicely, but the delivery sucked.

"Whites in hot, colors in cold, ese!"
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst of the trilogy but still pretty funny and good
gangstahippie13 June 2007
Rated R for Language,Drug Use and Sexual Content.

Next Friday is the sequel to the movie Friday and the second movie in the trilogy.Friday and Friday After Next were very funny movies.This one was not as funny but did have some really funny moments and was overall a fun and entertaining film.In this one, Craig moves to the suburbs with his rich uncle Elroy and his cousin Day Day.The reason he moves out of his old neighborhood is because Deebo has broken out of jail and wants revenge on Craig for beating him up(this happened in the first movie).There are some more funny characters in this movie such as Pinky the owner of the record store that Day Day works at and the three Mexican brothers who like to start trouble.Next Friday may not be as good as the first or third Friday movie but it is still funny and worth watching.

7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Close, but not quite there.
Banky-45 June 2000
You have to give Ice Cube credit. He tried to make a good sequel, but somehow it didn't quite work. It was close though, and fairly funny.

At one point, in narration, Craig says, "I sure miss Smokey."

We do too.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Next Friday
combo0071 February 2000
I saw this movie tonight at the theater. I was delighted at the humor involved in this movie, but was also upset that certain elements of the first movie were used in this. It was also disappointing that Chris Tucker was not a part of the cast. Overall, I believe the movie was hilarious, and if you are a fan of the first movie you should definitely see this one.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that great
csweetleaf214 July 2003
When I first heard that Next Friday was coming to the theater, I was excited but unfortunately it never came to the theater in my hometown but when we rented it on video, I was actually quite dissapointed cause it was a basic rehash of the original with a lot less laughs, while this movie still contains some funny parts it just wasn't the same like the original and I wish that Smokey (Chris Tucker) was in this movie, Day Day (Mike Epps) wasn't half as funny as Chris Tucker, but Ice Cube, John Witherspoon and Tiny Lister (as Deebo) does a great job for what they got.

Overall this movie isn't a big letdown or a waste of time, it just doesn't come close to the original's standards, if you liked the first Friday or like gangsta comedies, then you'll like Next Friday. 5/10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
will there be another next time???
djmexx2 March 2001
i hope so. friday part one, might been more fun but i liked this one as well. Some nice jokes, especially the joker brother, and ice cube was very funny to. There where some parts that where a bit boring too but still one to rent.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It Was A Bad Day
pooh-2413 October 2001
Next Friday is one of the worst films ever made.Starring rap "star" Ice Cube,this is an awful film portraying black people as a bunch of lazy,stupid,indecent,trashy goofballs with no purpose in life but indulging in sex,drugs,money,and pleasure.

No character in the film,including Ice Cube's own character,is anybody that you would care about when watching the "film".The attempts at humor fall way short of O'Shea Jackson's(Ice Cube's real name) means of achieving them.It is just a ugly feature film filled with vulgarity,violence,poor taste,and ebonics,showing blacks in a terrible light.

Most American blacks are in no way shape or form what one sees portrayed here in Next Friday,but the movie is heavyhanded in its' demeaning portrayal of black people and the filmmakers seem not to care that it is.One hopes Next Friday is the Last Friday to be made.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some good belly laughs
cynicalmusician11 April 2000
It is not easy to sit through the whole movie and expect a plot or anything to say for that matter. However, there are some seriously funny things that you can't help but laugh at. Depending on what vain you see the movie in and what you're looking for, your response will vary. But if you just take it as that there are some things that will make you hysterically laugh then by all means, see this movie.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
out of the hood
SnoopyStyle24 December 2016
Debo escapes from county jail chained to Tyrone. Debo is looking for revenge against Craig Jones (Ice Cube). Craig's dad sends him to stay with his cousin Day-Day (Mike Epps) in Rancho Cucamonga. His unemployed uncle Elroy won the lottery allowing him to buy a house in the suburbs. Craig gets into some misadventures with his cousin's family and the Latino gangster neighbors as the family faces foreclosure.

I'm not saying that Chris Tucker is a magical elixir for any franchise but part of the original charm is the lead characters' friendship. Essentially, this sequel switches out Tucker for Epps. If that's how easy it is to drop a lead character, how much should the audience care about any of the characters. It's a mess of crude broad humor that doesn't hit enough times. Ice Cube has good charisma as lead but there isn't much more than that.
Next Lame Day
Python Hyena26 April 2015
Next Friday (2000): Dir: Steve Carr / Cast: Ice Cube, Mike Epps, John Witherspoon, Tommy "Tiny" Lister, Tamala Jones: Brainless mess with absolutely no reason for existing. Sequel to Friday with Ice Cube writing and narrating the film. He was responsible for Tommy "Tiny" Lister landing in prison but after an escape, Cube is sent to live with his Uncle Elroy. Cube's cousin works at Pinky's Record Store where he hides out on his pregnant girlfriend. Next door live drug dealers with a nasty pit bull. There is a subplot involving taxes and saving the property etc. Witless and predictable with uninspiring directing by Steve Carr. Ice Cube plays the humourless lead, which works against the mood of the film. It is as if Cube arrived on the wrong set. Mike Epps plays Cube's best friend who is a complete idiot. John Witherspoon plays Cube's less than friendly father. Perhaps the worst element is an embarrassing appearance by Lister who breaks out of prison and seeks revenge on Cube. Perhaps he should seek out the producers of this film. Tamala Jones plays Epps's pregnant ex-girlfriend although being part of this film gives her something else to be angry about. The conclusion presents theft and drugs as fun as oppose to the endless trouble brought to those who dabbled in it. Nothing of value in this film that prides itself on being stupid. This film should be tossed in a campfire for a marshmallow roast. Score: 1 / 10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good, but lacking too
jeffman913 August 2003
NEXT FRIDAY provides laughs, but not like the first. Without Chris Tucker, the Friday series begins to lack a bit of the good comedy he provided. This wasn't as funny as the other two Fidays, but it still can make you laugh hard enough if you just watch the movie and try not to look for flaws.
Horrible Movie
tiffybop13 October 2002
This was the worst movie I've ever seen! When Chris Tucker said he wasn't going to do it, that should have been a clue, I mean, he made the first Friday. The first Friday was a classic, not to be messed with, and they put out this awful movie as a sequel. All I can say is, I'm glad I didn't pay any money to see this in the theater. I saw it on cable and was still mad, for wasting my time! And now, they have the nerve to make a Friday after next? WHY????

Don't get me wrong, I love Ice Cube, but this is just starting to get ridiculous. The character Day-Day is a flunkie, and he's not funny, and I just really hated this movie!
Extremely funny!
Lando_Hass15 October 2002
Next Friday, is by far the best comedy film out there today. This time, Craig moves out of the ghetto, and into the suburbs, mainly because his dad fears that Deebo will come after Craig. Deebo has escaped from jail, and he is out to find Craig. Craig's father sends him to live with his uncle, and cousin "Day-Day". That basically sums up the story line. What made this film so funny, is the three "Jokers", and facial expressions. This movie has lots of funny jokes, and clever lines. Mike Epps' character, "Day-Day", is probably the most unique character in the film next to "Joker". I loved the screenplay for this film, mainly because it had clever lines, and funny jokes. Next Friday also has some pretty good acting, which in general make the movie even funnier. This, I think is, Mike Epps' first film, and I have to say that he did a damn good job for a first film. Like I said earlier in this review, most of the comedy comes from facial expressions, and clever jokes. I would have to say, that the funniest facial expression in this film, was when Mike Epps' character is first introduced. The character "Joker", is the funniest part of the film. Every time a joke comes out of his mouth, or any word for that matter, will make you laugh. When I first heard of this film, I really anticipated that it was pure crap, but then I saw it on TV, and I was proved wrong. This movie kicks ass. 10 out of 10.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
your reviewer is culturally ignorant...
whooizit30 May 2003
... or else how would you mistake the mexican-american characters (this is LA, remember?) for puerto ricans?

There are plot and story weaknesses, but they don't take away from the enjoyment. The movie is funny - that's all it aspires to be and that's enough.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some Funny ish! Good and Really Funny!
gimmeDV14 January 2000
I went to see this movie and even though I did'nt care too much for the first one, (Mainly because I saw it like 5,999,999,999 times) I really liked this movie. There were some real funny scenes especially with Mike Epps. I did'nt care much for the Joker brothers but, I liked Ms. Ho-Wang. I wish she would have been in it some more. I think the story could have been better developed and you could have had a slightly better climax but, this movie is straight laughs!! I would recommend it over "Any Given Sunday"!!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't worry about spoilers. There's no plot to ruin.
billybrown4112 February 2002
I really wanted to like Next Friday. I really did. Something told me that when Chris Tucker wasn't going to be in it, that it just wasn't going to be that great. The first one, while it had no plot, was still pretty funny and one that I enjoy watching from time to time. In Next Friday, you guessed it, it's a week later and Craig is going to live with his uncle and cousin over in the Suburbs. The abscence of Smokey is explained when Craig makes mention that "Smokey got sent off to rehab". So much for Smokey. Anyway, in his place we get Craig's idiot cousin, Day-Day, and his even dumber uncle Elroy. That's it. Although, Day-Day is dumb as a rock and annoying as hell, his Uncle Elroy is occasionally funny.

Throughout Next Friday's measily hour and a half (it still ran too long), I laughed a grand total of ONE time. This was because of Pinky. I'm serious, had this guy been in the movie more than just five minutes, it probably would have gone down better. His scenes had me on the floor.

I'm sure that this movie may please its target audience, but there's no way that anyone could like it as much as the first. If I were Mexican, I would be offended at the crude racial stereotypes and that whole "mini-me" scene was probably the single most STUPID moment in cinematic history. Anyone who laughed at that is in desperate need of a laugh.

One more thing, if you haven't seen this yet, please don't. Just rent the first one again. Please. That's all I'm gonna say.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lack of Chris Tucker kills the movie.
baunbech16 April 2001
I don't find this movie nearly as good as the first Friday, mainly because of the absence of Chris Tucker. Ice Cube alone just isn't able to lift the movie and the portrayel of the beyond idiotic hispanic neighbours is too stupid to be funny. At least Lisa Rodríguez Adds some beauty to the movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I gave this film the credit it deserves.
kurtdcobain12 March 2001
Next Friday is a very different film to the original. Very different but also very funny. As long as you don't make the fatal mistake of trying to compare Day Day with Smokey from the original as they are both different characters, but very funny in their own separate way. Following on from the original Friday, Craig Jones (Ice Cube) has moved away from the 'hood to Rancho Cucamonga to live with his eccentric (and hilarious) Uncle Elroy and his cousin Day Day to escape from his arch nemesis Deebo who is due to escape from prison and hurt him for beating him up before he went to jail. Craig thinks he's safe in the suburbs, but it all goes horribly wrong when he gets there as he soon realises that everywhere is the same really. Every place has it's friendly people and every place has it's bullies who in Rancho Cucamonga take shape as three Latino thugs called the Joker brothers. Craig and Day Day get into some hilarious scrapes as they try and get the money together to stop Elroy's house being repossessed for unpaid tax bills. On their way through the film, they encounter a number of colourful characters such as miss Ho-Kim and the wannabe black skater Roach. All in all a very entertaining film from start to finish. As far as I'm concerned it's a must see.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just like the original...it takes repeated viewings for it to grow on you.
secwdirector24 December 2000
I found the original movie quite boring at first. But with repeated viewings, I found myself enjoying it more and more.

This one was the same. Although I missed Chris Tucker, and some of the other characters in the original, I enjoyed this film as well..but not as much.

I think it's worth taking a look at. You may like it...you may not like it. But check it out if you can.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Next Friday? living up to the original.
alexrain772 October 2000
Ice Cube once again shows us his writing talents by giving us a great movie to see on Friday. And even though Chris Tucker is not there, the new characters make up for the comedy with loads of funny, stereo-typical humor that just makes you laugh your butt off. The incredible part is how the pacing of the film is kept up, always offering something new and interesting to the viewer. I would have to say this is a great movie even though the directors changed hands, I think Ice Cube has kept this movie his own. Will there be another Friday? Bank on it.
funny
alkoholik1878 August 2000
i dont know whats wrong with you people all you keep on mentioning is chris tucker. who cares. jacob vargas was much funnier in my opinion and the joker brothers were the funniest thing in this movie thats why i liked it better then the first one. hopefully they make a third and they bring back the jokers i also liked the african guy he cracked me up.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty funny but not as good as the original
DNotter13 January 2000
First off, you have to realize that without Chris Tucker, it's not going to be the same movie. I think that's what the film-makers realized, also, and therefore they took the movie in a completely different direction than the first. That being said, they did a pretty good job.

Day-day is no Smokey but they don't make him out to be Smokey. I do have to say that the Joker brothers make this movie. I was rolling every scene they were in. Next time, more Joker brothers.

My only knock on the movie was that they repeated a lot of jokes from the first movie. Hey, I saw the first one and it was funny but you don't have to cram the exact same lines down my throat. It kind of cheapened the movie. All in all, I would say it's very funny if you don't go in expecting the same movie as the first.