Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers (TV Movie 1987) Poster

Great
musachan5 November 2001
I don't know why people don't like this! It's one of the three bareable Scooby-Specials!

The plot is; Shaggy inherits a mansion from his late Uncle Beauregard (No last name given!), but when he, Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo arrive the place turns out to be haunted. Shaggy also learns he's inherited a treasure hidden somewhere on the estate, but with guns, ghosts and gooney girls on his tail, it might be hard for him to even survive, much less find the treasure!

Good points: Scrappy-Doo. I'm sorry, he just plain wasn't annoying! He was smart, deductful and spunky. Sure, he's usually the most hated person ever on Scooby-Doo, but I liked him in this! It's about Shaggy! This guy usually gets just second billing, and half the merchandise as his canine companion. It's good to see him in the spotlight for once. Clever and funny. The Boo Brother were hilarious!

Bad points: Villain was too predictable. I got it almost immediately. Plot holes. Many many plot holes. Some of the funny jokes were overplayed (i.e; The scene where Shaggy convinces himself nothing's out to get him, but the viewers see that Billy and his sister are following close behind him.). If that had just ended sooner, it wouldn't have turned annoying. Basic bloopers (i.e; The sherrif saying 'push the button' on the mech-horse, when it was a lever.). Also, the paint messed up at times.

Overall, I liked this movie!
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Superb entertainment for both kids and grown-ups."
jamesraeburn200326 October 2004
A feature length spin-off from the classic cartoon series, in which Shaggy discovers that his uncle Colonel Beauregard has died and left him his country estate, which is apparently frequented by ghosts. Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy head for the estate in order to claim Shaggy's inheritance. However, on their arrival they are pursued by a headless horseman and by the alleged ghost of the Colonel who taunts them telling to leave or else. Meanwhile, they meet the creepy manservant Farquard who tells them that a vast fortune in jewels is hidden somewhere on the estate and that its rightfully his and that Shaggy has no business there. Intrigued, the gang decide to hunt down the jewels much to Farquard's chagrin and the local Sheriff who is on the trail of an escaped circus ape is skeptical about the jewels' existence. They follow the trail through a number of clues that the Colonel has hidden for them, but their progress is interrupted by a number of ghostly apparitions that include living skeletons, headless corpses and the ghostly Colonel. In order to exorcise the ghosts they call upon the "Boo Brothers", three bumbling ghost hunters who have a novelty - they're ghosts themselves! Is Beauregard Manor really haunted or are the ghosts created by someone who is out to get the treasure for themselves? There are plenty of suspects including Farquard and the late Colonel's neighbour Billy Bob whose family has been rivaling with the Beauregard family for generations.

SCOOBY DOO MEETS THE BOO BROTHERS is an excellent extension of the classic cartoon series. The animation is up to standard and Shaggy and Scooby are as lovable and as cowardly as ever. Shaggy is quick to say yikes whenever something supernatural happens and Scooby leaps for cover under Shaggy's t-shirt. As ever, Scrappy the smallest of the two dogs is always full of courage and can't wait to knock the ghosts for six. The film also pulls every hokey haunted house thriller cliché in the book including the moving eyes in the Colonel's self-portrait in the drawing room and bookcases crammed with dusty old hardback books open to reveal secret passages and creepy attics. The premise may be childish as one would expect of a kids TV programme, but this is more distinguished in that it manages to lay down a genuine creepy atmosphere, which manages to compete with the more adult ghost stories through its dark animation and mood music. Kids will get plenty of laughs as well as a few mild scares and adults will probably have a blast too!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Above average old school Scooby Adventure
Shawn Watson18 May 2004
This entry suffers from the presence of Scrappy. It was made in the mid-eighties when Scrappy was at the height (!) of his fame (?). He doesn't do much in this so it's not that bad. The story is about Shaggy (minus the rest of Mystery Inc.) being left a spooky mansion house in his uncles will. Conveniently said mansion is in the middle of a creepy swampland in the Deep South. The kind of place where there are always eyes watching from the trees.

As soon as he arrives, Shaggy has to deal with an annoying southern stereotype sheriff, a weirdo butler who wants to get his hands on the old uncle's hidden treasure, hickabilly neighbors and the ghost of his uncle telling to leave (then why did he give him the house?). There is also an escaped ape on the loose but even though only Scooby sees him (Shaggy doesn't believe it) he's just a big, cuddly monkey who wants to play.

The Boo Brothers are basically ghost versions of the Three Stooges. They're listed in the phone book as being experts in the busting of ghosts. This isn't a job they do well though, so Shaggy's payment at the end is a bit too generous.

There are some laughs to be had and the plot is mildly interesting but too many running jokes are just plain bad. The hillbilly neighbor joke becomes very boring and could have been done without. The animation is a bit dated, though it has enough modern touches (lens flares in car lights) to distract you from it. And I like the dark, decaying atmosphere of the swampland. The color pallet is mostly made up of dark blues and purples (the story takes place all in one night) and the backgrounds are not as generic as the earlier, cheaper TV shows.

For the average fan this is a worthy effort though I would just catch it on the Cartoon Network instead of forking over the cash, unless you're a Scooby completist.

The DVD is in 1.33:1 full frame, as drawn, with a Dolby Mono soundtrack that is unsophisticated but workable. The Region 2 release comes in a sturdy Keep Case but the Region 1 is still in a cruddy snapper. Extras are minimal childish fluff.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not Bad
daniel-haley10 August 2004
Considering the old graphics and Scrappy the movie was great! It was enjoyable but had the feeling that Scrappy was determined to find the treasure more than Shaggy and is the one who always seems to think he knows everything! Also I have never heard Shaggy drop food out of the picture to look for jewels as when they are looking for a particular clue Shaggy said to Scoob that 'Come on Scooby there's no time for food we got to look for the next clue' I mean that is so un Shaggy like if you know what I mean! Also Billy Bob's accent and appearance can be really annoying at times! Other than that its a classic and the Boo Brothers really made there title although they were nothing but a pair of wimps who like to take jokes too seriously! Also there can be too many things going on and can get a bit repetitive! A crazy circus ape who seems to be obsessed with Scooby, A goony girl who seems to be obsessed with Shaggy! A butler that reminds of Minime when on drugs! A crazy, cowboy who just shots as soon as they are outside! A Skull Ghost of many appearances! And a REAL ghost of Shaggy's Uncle, I mean talk about the cavalry! Anyway although many annoying bits its a classic Scooby film and I must suggest watching it
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun
James L.25 August 2000
The basic plot: Scooby and the Gang get mixed up in a ghoulish, ghostly old house mystery .

The praise: Fun showcase for the Scooby shtick. It's watchable, entertaining, diverting, and ghoulish. Suspenseful. Slightly silly romp, it'll appeal to young children . Nothing great, but I liked it when I was little.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still a favorite
Athena219 June 1999
This was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and I still love it now. It is hilarious, fun and the best cartoon movie of all time. Our three heroes, the Three-Stooges-esqe Boo Brothers and the rest of the cartoon cast adds to the fun. A must see for everyone!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Extremely entertaining
Scott-2739 March 1999
This movie just doesn't stop, it just continues! It is hilarious. An instant classic.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining enough, but I don't think it is Scooby's best.
TheLittleSongbird13 August 2009
Scooby Doo Meets The Brothers is certainly not Scooby's best, neither is it his worst. It is very entertaining, and I do think it is an improvement over Ghoul School, and this is coming from a biased Scooby Doo fan. In Boo Brothers the animation is quite good, though there is nothing particularly special visually. The characters are in general well animated, and there are some nice dark colours. I liked most of the jokes, anything Shaggy says does crack me up, and the voice cast are fine with what they have- I love Don Messick as Scooby I do miss him, but Casey Kasem never fails to bring a smile to my face. While I usually find Scrappy a little irritating, I didn't mind him as much here, sometimes his Puppy Power catchphrase wears thin, but somehow he seemed more serious here than usual. I will say I loved the Boo Brothers, I especially loved the part when Shrieko plays Chopin's Revolutionary on the piano and gets whammed into the ceiling. If anything, the Boo Brothers could have had more screen time, as there was a long time when nothing particular of interest happened before they appeared. In fact, the only characters I didn't like were Billy Bob and his sister, I just didn't feel they served any real purpose to the plot, and the villain was a little obvious at times. Speaking of the plot, it was very interesting about a deceased relative, a family fortune and someone wanting to steal it. The music was good too. While kids will enjoy it at best, adults may find the beginning a little slow, and not as entertaining as the TV show, which is a childhood favourite of mine. Overall, entertaining, but not the best our favourite canine has to offer. 6.5/10 Bethany Cox.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun.
Mightyzebra8 April 2008
This is very much a very spoofy, rather badly made, and rather "bloopery" film. However, I really like it! It is probably my favourite "Scooby Doo". Things I like about it are the brilliant and entertaining Scrappy, the riddles and, of course, the Boo Brothers - who along with Scrappy, practically make the film. Scooby and Shaggy are pretty usual and their jokes are surprisingly mediocre compared with some other Scooby Doo films. Usually Scooby and Shaggy are the Comic Reliefs, but Shaggy is pretty much the serious hero of the film. Scooby does supply jokes, but these do not add to the film very much.

Here is the basic plot: Shaggy, Scrappy and Scooby are going to Shaggy's deceased uncle's plantation, as Shaggy is inheriting it. It turns out that the huge house has a number of creepy ghosts and a rather scary butler. Shaggy hears of the "family jewels" and, due to Scrappy's enthusiasm, they go looking for them. The group soon find a jewel - and a riddle clue to the next jewels! They go on some sort of treasure hunt to find the family jewels. Alongside are the entertaining Boo Brothers and some other side characters who do not make the hunt easy...

I recommend this film to people who enjoy crazy cartoon films - and particularly for people who like Scrappy. If you do not like Scrappy then you should not watch this film, as he has quite a big role. Also, this film is mainly for people around the age of 7-15. Enjoy "Scooby- Doo Meets the Boo Brothers"! :-)

7 and a half out of ten.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just a tad too silly and out there, even for Scooby-Doo...
"Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers" is definitely scarred by it being an older animated movie in the Scooby-Doo franchise. As such, then it is hardly anywhere nearly as enjoyable as the movies that the Mystery Gang has been venturing through over the past many more recent years.

Sure, the animation style and art style is right for the Scooby-Doo franchise, and it does have sort of a retro feel to it. That does certainly have a lot of charm, but it can only carry the movie so far. It was the overly silly storyline that was the deal breaker for me, because it strayed quite far from the usual Scooby-Doo stories, that it was just downright ridiculous at times.

But "Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers" has everything you would expect from a Mystery Gang adventure; which includes the entire gang, colorful characters, spookies, and so forth.

I just wasn't overly impressed with this 1987 animated movie, and found myself struggling to keep my interest and focus on the screen. This is one of the weakest additions to the Scooby-Doo franchise in my opinion, and as such I am rating it a mere 3 out of 10 stars.
An Honest Review
generationofswine1 April 2017
For some reason I have really fond memories of this and...totally blocked Scrappy out of them.

Again, like Ghoul School and the Reluctant Werewolf, this is when they scaled back on the Puppy Power and made Scrappy somewhat less annoying.

It's not all bad.

As a child the main source of humor came from how obvious the exterminators were...and as an adult the main source of humor comes from, well, it comes from how obvious the exterminators are.

Imagine yourself in a collegian recreational state of mind watching a kids cartoon and screaming at the TV because the characters are missing what is blatantly obvious.

It's kinda sorta just like that...but in a fun way...because with the odd exception, Scooby Doo is still fun.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best Scooby Doo movies there is!!
meganphipps18 August 2015
I LOVE THIS SCOOBY DOO MOVIE. Scooby Doo meets the Boo Brothers is one of the best Scooby Doo movies out there and is done in classic animation like it used to be before it when to CGI (2000's). I love this kind of animation it's something that should be shown on TV more often and is one of the most funniest Scooby Doo mystery's of all time (if you haven't watched it, you should). One of my favourite characters has to be the Boo Brothers (of course), they always make you laugh and they all have different personality's which makes it work. One of my favourite scenes has to be when Shaggy is walking along and he doesn't notice that behind their are two people fighting over each to get to him. If you like classic animation or if you just like Scooby Doo then this is the movie for you hands down :).
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I thought Scooby and the gang had already met the Three Stooges back in the 70's
Shane Noles6 July 2004
Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers was my favorite of the straight to television Scooby-Doo movies that came along in the late 80's. There is no Fred,Daphne,or Velma as Shaggy,Scooby,and Scrappy are getting the starring roles. Basic plot is that Shaggy's Uncle Beauregard has passed away and left him his southern plantation. The trio encounters some problems on the way there as the plantation is located in the middle of nowhere on a dirt road as it is raining. Once they get there, they find out that Beauregard had hidden a king's ransom worth of diamonds,jewels,and other treasures to keep them away from his enemies. So the three of them set out to find these treasures and hire the Boo Brothers(carbon copies of The Three Stooges) to catch the ghosts that are trying to prevent Shaggy from getting his hands on the goodies. The old butler named Farquar is jealous of Shaggy and is looking for the treasure himself and there is also a redneck named Billy Bob Scroggins who is out to kill Shaggy because of a long-standing feud with the Beauregard family. Throw in a skeleton ghost,an escaped circus ape,a wimp of a sheriff,and Billy Bob's sister trying to hook up with Shaggy and you've got yourself a recipe for fun over the next 90 minutes. The Boo Brothers provide lots of slapstick gags and there are some neat play on words as it relates to the clues for each individual diamond. Certainly worth a watch as it has a different premise and setting compared to the other Scooby-Doo adventures.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
the worst of the Scooby Doo movies i have seen so far
disdressed1227 July 2007
for me,this is probably the worst Scooby Doo animated movie i have seen.i found it boring and not that funny compared to other Scooby adventures.the i didn't think the story was very good either.there seemed to be a lot more repetition than in other Scooby movies.there are also a few elements missing from this particular movie(that i most Scooby Do movies) and one element that was nothing other than annoying and i really could have done without.those elements are that only Shag and Scoob are in this movie.the rest of Mystery,INC are absent.the element i could have done without is the inclusion of Scrappy Doo,which to me is a pointless character.i had to struggle not turn this movie off before the end.this is the exception with Scooby Doo movies,so far in my experience.for me "Scooby Doo Meets the Boo Brothers" is a 4/10
1 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Could this be any worse!
barrynof25 December 2012
So, Shaggy finds out he has inherited his Uncle Beauregard's estate and when he, Scooby and the incredibly awful Scrappy show up, mayhem ensues. First, the Boo Brothers are a total rip offs of the Three Stooges, only it is an awful parody and completely useless with regard to the plot. Not there is a plot. Sadie Mae Scroggins and her brother that live next door are completely useless, as well. The only reason I think they are in the movie is so they can SHOOT GUNS at Shaggy. Yes, I said shoot guns! The Scooby Doo show was made because people didn't like the violence on TV. What a screaming shame! If I could give this zero stars, I would! Run, don't walk away from this movie.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers
Jackson Booth-Millard28 June 2005
This TV made film that I saw on Cartoon Network wasn't that bad for a Scooby-Doo film. Basically Scooby, Shaggy and the very punchable Scappy-Doo are going to a mysterious house to collect some kind of fortune or treasure. While they are looking in this house there is a spirit trying to stop them. So they decide to get a ghost hunting team to get rid of it, The Boo Brothers. They are ghosts themselves, but they call themselves frighteners of ghosts. I basically like this for the treasure hunting. Scrappy is the only thing ruining this cartoon. If I ever saw Scrappy again, it would be the last, he has so got to die! Apart from that though, not bad. Scooby-Doo was number 8 on The 100 Greatest Kids' TV Shows, and he was number 49 on The 100 Greatest Cartoons. Worth a look!
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this