Family Guy (TV Series 1999– ) Poster

(1999– )

Another great animated comedy show
jammydodgerburton31 May 2021
Like the Simpsons, I've seen every family guy episode. I've seen the good, bad and poor episodes. Overall it's a great show with a lot of laughs and I would highly recommend.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DiCaprio-HardyFan15 June 2021
Family Guy has been a laugh out loud funny show for almost 20 years now! It's easily one of my favorite comedies of all-time! Seth McFarlane is just an absolute genius who has done the impossible and that's make a show remain hilarious for over 2 decades now. There's not much I can say about this incredible show that hasn't already been said so just do yourself a favor and go watch it...you won't regret it!
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seth MacFarlane, YOU'RE A GENIUS!!
loismustdie12528 February 2005
I cannot even begin to discuss how ridiculously smart and outrageously funny is this show. Not only does this program far surpass most of the comedies on television, it has the guts to hit topics that most of the overly sensitive public shies away from. I never understood why it was taken off the air in the first place. Fox can show something as tawdry and humanly degrading as Temptation Island, but Family Guy was too racy? Riiiight.

I absolutely must comment on the incredible voice talent done for this show, most especially the amazing creator himself, Seth MacFarlane. First of all, his versatility is unlike anything I have ever heard. When I discovered how many voices he actually performed, I was floored. I am currently receiving my masters in speech pathology so I find his ability particularly interesting. Not only can he speak in these individual voices, he can sing in them, and very well I might add.

The musical numbers in this cartoon revive a dying art. The "Road" episodes are a hysterical throw back to the Crosby/Hope movies, which is a reference I usually have to explain to my friends though they often must explain a few that I miss. In fact, the scope of the references range from cheesy 80's TV to political commentary to Broadway. This is why everyone will find something funny about this show. Everyone in one form or another can relate to it.

Most of my guy friends think I should be offended by the show because I am a woman and this is a "guy's show." Let me tell you, this is not the case at all. Lois Griffin is a freakin role model. I like to think I have half of her savvy when dealing with my ignorant boyfriends.

Absolutely excellent television. Edgy, funny, intelligent and extremely creative. This show was a breath of fresh air for mundane television and will soon awaken the network again. Seth MacFarlane, you are a genius!!
570 out of 848 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever, Hilarious, and Definitely Not For Kids!
poopyface-205559 May 2021
This show has some of the greatest elements a comedy could have. The cutaway gags are probably the most creative. Overall, If your able to take jokes, and be ready for crazy episodes jumping out of a corner, then this is perfect for you!
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just like the Simpson this
croc-574-20256927 September 2020
The best seasons was 1- 10 after that there was some good episodes like the Simpson and yea you know what I'm saying
19 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outrageous humour
briancham199420 August 2020
The humour of this cartoon is outrageous in its own unique way. Compared to The Simpsons it is less coherent and compared to South Park it is more juvenile. Family Guy has a very distinct and memorable style that relies on constant cutaways to keep things fresh.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Losing its edge
Tonyboy26 September 2005
While I know that I run the risk of being chased out of town for saying this, I feel that since the beginning of Season 5, the show has lost its edge.

90% of the jokes in "Family Guy" fall into one of 3 categories: 1) Jokes making fun of pop culture (especially old TV shows and celebrities) 2) Gags that run so long that they become absurd 3) Flashbacks, most of the time introduced with "This is more ___ than that time I ___"

I'm sure that a lot of people find this stuff funny, but after 4 seasons with this kind of humour, it just becomes so expected that it ends up being routine. This doesn't do it for me.

I still like this show and I think it has a lot of potential, but it needs some new ideas!
440 out of 807 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favourite TV show
animalfanatic25 March 2007
I love everything about family guy.

My favourite characters in family are Brian and Stewie and I like the episodes when it mainly features them such as "Road to Rhode Island" (Season 2), as they interact very well. The comments they make just have me in stitches. Peter's behaviour is also very funny as some of the things he does "are just so brilliant they're retarded." The voice acting is excellent, especially Seth MacFarlane as he provides the voices for half of the Griffin family as well as their perverted neighbour Glenn Quagmire and how he manages this range (particularly with singing) I just don't know. He deserves his two Emmy's for providing the voice of evil baby genius Stewie. Adam West also steals the show with his funny and completely insane regular character the mayor of Quahog. What I like about Chris (voiced by Seth Green) is the things he says show that he takes after his father when it comes to intelligence and common sense.

The only thing I have found annoying is that in the UK Fox has decided to change the seasons to increase DVD sales, which in no way reflect the programme itself but rather the marketing.

If you enjoy Family Guy then I would thoroughly recommend Seth MacFarlane's other project American Dad which uses a different style of humour but is still extremely hilarious.
136 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MacFarlane's brilliant sitcom parody was once one of the funniest things on TV, but now it may suffer the same creative fate as the Simpsons
liquidcelluloid-112 August 2007
Network: Fox; Genre: Animated Comedy, Satire, Parody; Content Rating: TV-14 (pervasive sexual content, scatological humor, strong language, violence, animated nudity); Perspective: Contemporary (star range: 1-5);

Season Reviewed: 5 seasons

After 5 seasons, two cancellations and a now militant army of fans the show has amassed, I don't quite know what to say about "Family Guy" anymore.

When "Family Guy" debuted in 1999 it was a shotgun blast of comic brilliance that came out of nowhere and went unheard by an audience still enraptured by the antics of "Friends". At first it all appears relatively routine, even - as many have accused - a ripe-off of "The Simpsons". Fat, child-like, head of household Peter Griffin (voiced by creator Seth MacFarlane) screws things up while dotting wife Lois (Alex Borstein), put-upon daughter Meg (Mila Kunis) and genetic copy Chris (Seth Green) look on. Also in the mix is genius, homicidal infant Stewie (MacFarlene) - one of the most deserving break-out characters in TV history - and Brian, the family's talking dog.

If the characters sound like clichés, that's the point. MacFarlane uses them simply as vessels and with the show regurgitates every pop culture childhood memory to create a full-length parody of 70s and 80s sitcoms. Even better than a parody, a satire. Just as Archie Bunker was a product of the 50s being imposed on by a changing 70s culture, "Family Guy" is about the new millennial values juxtaposed on sitcom camp of the last century. In MacFarlane's world there are child molesters on "Lost in Space" and "Eight is Enough" actually refers to disciplinary beatings.

Yes, "The Simpsons" have covered similar ground, with a particular emphasis on random flashbacks and fantasy scenes. But with "The Simpsons" in a creative tailspin for the last decade, MacFarlane and crew swoop in to fill this gaping void. To out-Simpson "The Simpsons" if you will. What MacFarlane brings to the table is pitch-perfect comic timing - an ability to know how quick to cut or how long to drag out a particular bit to get the laugh. As well as utter fearlessness. From bits in which Jesus Christ turns water "into funk" or a TV parody "Gumble 2 Gumble: Beach Justice" staring Greg and Bryant Gumble as bicycle cops, "Guy" isn't just one of the funniest things to grace TV, it was freakin' brilliant. This breaks from are more often like an animated version of "The Far Side", then "The Simpsons".

Then it was canceled only to be renewed at the 11th hour. And then it was canceled again, brought back supposedly by strong DVD sales. But given the networks ownership of the show and how Fox beat to death the equally strong "Futurama", it's hard to buy that. This constant shakeup has got to take a toll on a series' rhythm. When the show returned for a 3rd season it felt lacking of something. As if the network notes to "slow the pace", "tone down the fantasy scenes" and "thicken the story lines" were rigidly being followed when the breaking of these rules was what made the show great in the first place. Still it contained classics like "Emission: Impossible", "The Thin White Line", "Road to Rhode Island" and "Brian Wallows, Peter's Swallows" to keep us satisfied.

Upon the 2nd return, giving us seasons 4, 5 and beyond, the show has completely lost it's footing. After a LONG agonizing wait, the 4th season premiere is a disappointing "North by Northwest"/"Passion of the Christ" parody. The rest of the season follows suit in which only "PTV", the show's satire of the TV ratings system, recaptures it's prior lunacy. MacFarlane makes the crucial mistake here, actually wanting us to care about them. Given that they where envisioned as clichés in the first place, putting the weight of a story on their backs only shows how lacking the show is for character depth. Even Stewie, once a source for huge laughs, is stripped down to a single latent homosexuality joke. The show gets story heavy where it shouldn't. Slows down when it should speed up. Goes broad when it should go cult. Gets political and angry when it should be mindless escapism. "Family Guy" was about velocity, randomness and obscure 1% gags.

I won't go as far as to say that "Family Guy" beyond seasons 4 and 5 is proof that a dead show should probably remain dead. But it is proof that a show can't go through constant cancellations and reshuffling and remain intact. It also suffers from the same fate that has plagued "The Simpsons". It is full of itself. It has become lazy in a belief that it can do no wrong in the eyes of it's fans. "Family Guy", in many ways, has sold out. It isn't the acerbic TV rebel it used to be. It is now part of the system itself

"Guy's" humor has a masterful ability to appeal to "Star Trek" nerds and drunken frat boys alike. And it is hard to deny the TV geek in my doesn't flip out when they do something half of either audience won't get like weave a "Star Wars" joke into a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" reference. But the show's die-hard legions of fans (some damn near sycophantic over the show's brilliance) have allowed it to be lazy and complacent and paved the way for MacFarlane's head to slide right up his own posterior. In some ways he deserves it, the show can still be very, very funny. But the true fans out there know that it can do much, much better.

* * * ½ / 5
129 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Provide Relief Over Stress
shanoofm11 May 2021
I personally watched All Of It's Episodes, It Helped me A lot To Get Rid Of My Stress.
DiCaprio-HardyFan10 May 2021
Family Guy has been a laugh out loud funny show for almost 20 years now! It's easily one of my favorite comedies of all-time! Seth McFarlane is just an absolute genius who has done the impossible and that's make a show remain hilarious for over 2 decades now. There's not much I can say about this incredible show that hasn't already been said so just go watch it if yourself!
Family Guy Funny Moments
RhythmMakoto21 April 2020
This Series is great! Its funny, it has a great storyline and clever jokes! and it gave us many family guy funny moments compilations
DiCaprio-HardyFan3 March 2021
Family Guy has been laugh out loud funny for almost 20 years now! It's easily one of my favorite comedies of all-time! Seth McFarlane is an absolute genius who has done the impossible and that's make a show remain hilarious for over 2 decades now. There's not much I can say about this incredible show that hasn't already been said so just go watch it if yourself!
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic love it!
azibsen21 May 2021
Family guy best comedy show ever its just perfect!
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Show!
Ginger872 August 2004
I started watching "Family Guy" right after it premiered after the Super Bowl back in 1999. I immediately fell in love with it and thought it was hilarious. "Family Guy" is about the Griffin family who live in Rhode Island. Peter Griffin is the father of the family and not very bright. He usually says wrong things in the wrong time. Lois is the mother of the family and smarter than Peter. Meg is the daughter of the family and she tries to avoid her family from making her look uncool and goes through teen problems. Chris is the son who loves to eat and is also not very bright. Stewie is the baby who tries to kill his family and take over the world. Brian, the dog, is the voice of reason in the family but also an alcoholic. "Family Guy" has many great episodes. My favorites include "Road to Rhode Island", "Peter, Peter Cavier Eater", and "Mr. Saturday Knight". I am glad new episodes are coming next year! This show deserves 10/10 stars!
153 out of 281 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still really great
POIguy4 April 2020
Pretty much everyone knows what this show is. I really like it, but it uses a lot of low-brow humor. If you're into that, you'll love this show.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love this show
dawithermc12 March 2020
This show is funny, witty and great! Yes it has gotten worse over the years, but the episodes are still full of good jokes and interesting messages that I still watch it today!

in fact, After Season 12-13's gross-out phase, the show has gotten better since, so i still think it's worth watching.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
We're All Lucky There's A Family Guy
kyle-hannah25 July 2007
Family Guy is without a shadow of a doubt an intriguing, funny, and unique experience every week it is aired. This television series has survived through adversity and overcame challenges after being canceled twice and brought back.

The humour of Family Guy is definitely something the future will call "family guy humour" it's random off the wall antics generally focus on priceless flashback sequences and stammering over awkward sentences to keep you laughing. The once very promising series is beginning to wear down however as season 5 was full of very dull and humourless episodes and i believe it is because of Ricky Blitt temporarily leaving the show to do The Winner which coincidentally flopped. Seasons 1-4 have been as pleasure and the first six or so episodes of Season 5 as well but only time will tell if this series stays as consistently funny as it's almost always been.

Many criticize it and claim it as a Simpsons rip off which is totally inaccurate and unfair. Homer Simpson is a dim witted easy angered character while Peter Griffin is a pop culture obsessed moron who always means well. Marge Simpson is an intelligent, nagging, wife while Lois Griffin is a good hearted mother whose party girl side is always emerging. Bart Simpson is a little hell-raiser who loves to cause trouble and pull pranks while Chris Griffin is a slow, dopey, lummox. Lisa Simpson is an intelligent, kind, liberal while Meg Griffin is a self pitying, neglected, border line suicidal loser. Maggie Simpson doesn't speak or do much throughout the show while Stewie Griffin is a quick witted baby bent on world domination with a lot of homosexual tendencies. The shows are very different and share few similarities.

The show revolves around family and the struggles and over the top things that occur throughout their daily lives. The humour is totally random with irrelevant and hysterical flashback sequences occurring throughout the episode and contains a ton of satire that is both offensive and true.

Seth MacFarlane reminds me of Quentin Tarantino with the way he pays homage to things he loved or remembers growing up and the pop culture references will make you think "oh yeah i remember that". I believe Family Guy will become a classic and in my personal opinion already has but i see a very sunny future for this great animated series. Watch out for it in the fall of 2007 as it enters it's sixth season with Ricky Blitt back on board.
38 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Funniest Shows on TV!!!
gaelcerda-3522527 January 2021
This show has been running since 1999, Peter and the griffin family shenanigans always being laughs. Sure the jokes are nasty and offensive but the humor is top notch and if you want an animated show just to get great laughs off of every episode then I highly recommend this show. The humor is done just right and the skits don't last long to make it seem like it tried to hard to be funny. Just watch Seth MacFarlane's golden work and see it for yourself. If you can't get into it, skip it and find another show.

My Suggested TV Rating: TV-14 (For Strong Crude and Sexual Humor Throughout, Animated Nudity, Graphic Violence/Gore, Strong Profanity, and Some Drug/Alcohol Use)

My Recommended Age: 16+
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Great 1999 TV-show!
SonicStuart26 July 2004
Family Guy is another of the best TV-shows that premiered in 1999! Family Guy kind of reminded me of The Simpsons a little bit but there both different. The way Family Guy is like The Simpsons is that they both have the same plot which is a sit-com about a dysfunctional family that lives in a medium sized town where anything can happen and plus the humor is slapstick. Peter Griffin (voiced by Seth MacFarlane) does his best to do what's right for the family, but along the way, he makes mistakes that are the stuff of legends and he is the not so bright one in the family, he speaks before he thinks which is hilarious. Then there's Lois (voiced by Alex Borstein) who is the most sane of the bunch. There is the two teenagers of the family Meg (Season 1 was voiced by Lacey Chabert and then Season 2 and beyond Mila Kunis did the voice of Meg) who is one of those kids who tries so hard to fit in but yet it doesn't work and I feel so sorry for her and then there's Chris (voiced by Seth Green) who is fat, not really that smart but yet spirited and kind of weird. Then there's Stewie (voiced by Seth MacFarlane, again), the evil baby who has an English accent and is this evil genius who wants to take over the world and then there is Brian the dog (voiced by Seth MacFarlane, again), who is the smartest in the family and likes to drink and smoke and doesn't really describe himself as a domestic animal and is trying to find his purpose. The show is so funny because it also makes fun of several movies and other TV-shows which is another thing Family Guy and The Simpsons are alike! The other characters in the show are Cleveland (voiced by Mike Henry) who is this all-around nice guy; Joe Swanson (voiced by Patrick Warburton) who is this tough guy who is in a wheel-chair because he paralyzed his legs and he mainly uses his upper-body strength and then there is Quagmire who is this sex-maniac who goes crazy for any woman that is sexy and I like the way Quagmire says "Alright!" and I say it the way he would said it now. Plus Adam West is in Family Guy playing the Mayor of Quahog, himself and Seth MacFarlane also worked with Adam West when MacFarlane was working in Hanna-Barbera! It premiered back in 1999 after the 1999 Super Bowl where the Denver Broncos won! Then in 2002 FOX canceled this series and then Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block came along and picked up the series for re-runs and then TBS and now it is going to make a return on FOX! You can get this series out on DVD too!

User Rating: 9/10

BOTTOM LINE: HILARIOUS AND A BIT LIKE THE SIMPSONS BUT DIFFERENT!
183 out of 352 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show has too much hate
connornoiles5 April 2021
About every video on youtubeis about how much this show sucks now. But it really doesn't, the far more over the top comedy means there's rarely a dull moment, and the show is so entertaining, and there actually is some smarter writing than given credit for..
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as memorable as The Simpsons, but Family Guy is a fresh new and funny look at adult comedies
Smells_Like_Cheese24 November 2003
Family Guy is actually one of my favorite shows, the jokes are always a blast to hear and watch and it has one of my all time favorite cartoon characters: Stewie Griffin. A lot of hard core Simpsons fans do accuse this show of being a rip off, I agree, it's similar in some aspects, but still Family Guy is always worth the watch in my opinion. It's also a little more grown up than other cartoons, when it comes to the hard core jokes, Family Guy never disappoints, they will take the joke as far as they can go.

The show is about the Griffin family: Peter, Lois, Chris, Meg, Stewie, and Brian. Peter is the head of the household, he's a bit on the slow side, loves beer, and is in love with TV. Lois is the wife and mother, she's always the one you'd want to go to with problems, but when you mess with her, she comes back with a punch! Chris is the son, very slow and stupid, but sometimes has those strange moments of very deep thoughts. Meg is the daughter who just can't be noticed and is finding herself in the harsh world of high school. Stewie, the baby, is a wanna be dictator, wants to kill Lois, will destroy broccoli, kill he man in white, and is always looking for victory to be his! Brian is a man stuck in a dog's body who loves Lois and is trying to figure out why he's with the Griffin Family.

Family Guy has some extremely funny episodes, for me the most memorable are: Chitty Chitty Death Bang, Emission Impossible, A Very Special Family Guy Freakin' Christmas, and 8 Simple Rules for Buying My Teenage Daughter. Those are the episodes that just always can get a constant laugh from me. But I do recommend Family Guy, it's not for the faint of heart, but it's just a fun show if you want a few good laughs. The cast loves doing this show and they always pull in great and memorable characters. While I still prefer The Simpsons, Family Guy is also a show that I will always watch when I get the chance.
87 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Phenomenal
libra-2930722 February 2021
This show is so so good the new seasons are decent but I'll always prefer the old season.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best
JoeofFields3 June 2020
Despite getting a tons of jokes about us, Saudis, I really think this series is one of the best ones ever, the metaphors and the meanings that he put throughout the series are mostly facts and hilarious simultaneously. This really helps me understand more regarding almost everything American. Simply, astonishing!
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love the show
amiratootoonchi19 July 2020
The best part of this show has always been, and will always be, Adam West!
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.