Ringu (1998) Poster

(1998)

not bad but the American version is better
MartinHafer5 July 2005
Although I RARELY prefer remakes and usually prefer Japanese movies over most Hollywood pictures, this original was only a slightly better than average horror-suspense movie. The problem was that although the basis for a good movie was indeed there, so often there were lulls in the picture and this was not as big an issue in the remake. However, the acting was pretty good and the story was rather original, so I applaud the movie because of these factors.

By the way, one important difference between the pictures is that in the Japanese version, the single mom often leaves her 6 year-old home alone for long, long periods of time. In the US, she would have been arrested on child neglect charges had she been caught!
1 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Effective
Michael_Elliott29 February 2008
Ringu (1998)

*** (out of 4)

I had previously seen the American version so I wasn't sure if that would hurt this viewing or not but it didn't. I can't really say which version I enjoyed more because I thought both worked perfectly well for the horror genre. I'd say this one here featured better direction and performances. I thought the two lead performers here gave really good performances as well. What I find most different in these Japanese and their American remakes is that the foreign films go for a calmer scare factor. It seems the American version of this and Ju-On: The Grudge went for a lot of scares by using loud sound effects that would make anyone jump. It seems the American films go for a money shot while the Japanese films go for a slower scare factor. It doesn't really feel like the film is working but then you notice that you're all curled up on the couch totally caught up in the film. I thought the ending here in the well worked incredibly well.
0 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Densely-plotted Japanese horror is one of the best of all time
Leofwine_draca2 November 2016
Maybe the biggest and most popular Japanese horror film in recent years – certainly one of the few to garner world-wide attention and an immediate Hollywood remake – RING is a thoughtful, delicately-paced movie that suggests more than it shows. Like all such classic horror movies, the emphasis is on a creepy atmosphere and careful scenery building rather than violence or sudden loud crashes in the music. It's an atypical film, one which (like most of the 'new wave' of Asian horror films) requires a certain amount of patience to be able to sit through all the dialogue and scenes where nothing much in the way of action happens. But viewers are rewarded by plenty of splendidly creepy moments (as in the "leave your lights on afterwards" sense), which build to a genuinely suspenseful climax which even throws in a few twists to startle the viewer who believes he or she is ahead of the game.

RING is a low budget film, but the lack of money helps rather than hinders the project. For a start the film seems realistic, shot in real houses instead of sets, and with actors who turn in accomplished performances as normal, everyday people. The slow pacing makes this feel like a documentary and it's actually refreshing to see a film without needless car chases and fancy FX sequences (unsurprisingly, these popped up in the US remake). Nanako Matsushima is fine as the journalist mother, forever neglecting her son, and the scenes requiring her to show fear are fantastic. Hiroyuki Sanada, one of my favourite Japanese actors of all time, is equally excellent as Matsushima's ex-husband, who also watches the videotape and finds himself desperately investigating the past in order to save himself, his wife and his son in the present.

The videotape is always the centre piece of attention in the movie and the images we see on screen are deliberately thought-provoking, bizarre, abstract, almost dream-like shots which have the power to send a chill down the spine of the most stalwart watcher. The spooky bits get better as the film progresses: the interlude in the soggy well is a frightening set-piece although nothing happens, just the suspense of the situation is enough to make it work. The scenes involving the child apparition Sadako are superbly portrayed and should get a reaction out of the most hardened watcher. RING is a great movie that refuses to serve up a detailed plot line to the audience. Viewers are required to put thought and imagination into the film, in order to work out what is going on and to get the full effect. Those who do will surely agree that this is a successful, effective, quietly creeping horror classic that builds up the best sense of dread in any film I've seen.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
effective ghostly horror
SnoopyStyle9 February 2016
Teenagers Masami and Tomoko talk about a videotape that kills you a week after viewing it. Tomoko dies with a horrified expression and Masami goes insane. TV reporter Reiko Asakawa is investigating the killer videotape and is shocked by her niece Tomoko's death. Tomoko and three friends had rented a cabin in Izu. Reiko goes to Izu and retrieves the videotape. She watches the tape herself setting off the cycle once again.

I watched the American version before the Japanese original. I think it actually helped me follow the story because the American movie essentially copied the Japanese movie. This one is not quite as polished as the American version. However it has the same moody atmosphere if not more. This is an effective ghostly horror no matter which version.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why Hollywood Industry Insists in Spoiling Excellent Screenplays?
claudio_carvalho3 August 2003
The journalist Reiko Asakawa (the gorgeous Nanako Matsushima) resolves to investigate the death of four teenagers who watched a videotape that might kill the viewer seven days after watching the film. The viewer would receive a telephone call and seven days later would die. She herself finds the videotape, watches the strange movie and becomes afraid of being killed. She prepares a copy for her ex-husband, who decides to help Reiko in her investigation, specially because their son has also watched the film.

This movie is great, with characters well-defined, excellent cast and direction and a screenplay focused on the story and not in special effects. An original horror movie, with a tight plot. Why Americans insist in spoiling excellent movies? It is amazing the quantity of (expensive) remakes of marvelous foreign movies that Hollywood spoils. Once I heard that American people would not like to read subtitles, but I refuse to believe in such non-sense. The American remake 'The Ring' is not a bad movie, and Naomi Watts is a great actress. But why the remake? The modifications introduced by the American screen writer and director changed a simple and terrifying plot into an expensive, complicated and non-resolved story. My vote is nine.

Title (Brazil): "Ring - O Chamado" ("Ring - The Call")
46 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just plain creepy – really unnerving film
bob the moo22 July 2002
Rumours abound about a video tape that, once you watch it you have a week before you die. When a relative dies in a way that suggests she saw the video, journalist Reiko tracks down the tape and recklessly watches it. She finds she is under the curse and shows it to her ex-husband to get his help. When her son watches the tape Reiko and Ryuji race against time to discover the meaning behind the curse to be able to lift it.

I came to this only knowing the hype and the barest bits of the story. I knew it was meant to be scary and I wasn't disappointed. The plot is good in it's one word description but there are a few holes in it and something's aren't well explained. However it is a good story to follow as it is a form of a ghost hunt as they try to unravel the mystery. The whole thing has an air of uneasiness about it.

The film has some very scary moments – especially the ending which I won't even hint at. However for the most part it is just plain creepy – which is even worse. There's no blood or gore – just a real sense of being uncomfortable. The director has seen teen horrors before so he teases us – he has shots of people with doors just over their shoulder, or the TV lingering in the rear of the shot – knowing that we are conditioned to expect something to jump out – but then nothing does. Instead the scares come slowly and blatantly really not being shocking but just making your skin crawl.

The acting is superb all round although Sanada is a little stony at times but he gets better. The real star is the director who uses music and sound effects to get the eerie effect but also uses images that are weird to just creep out the whole film. I hope Hollywood directors learn what can be done with subtly rather than multimillion pound monsters or effects.

I have said before that Fire Walk With Me was one of the creepiest films I've seen. And that was for the same reason, just making me feel uncomfortable and unnerved. Here this little gem takes that to a whole new level.
30 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Original
kosmasp18 May 2007
One of the most original Horror movies that came out of the eastern film industry! And one that has been copied so many times it hurts. So watch this, to see where the hype started! But beware, because many will be alienated by the Japanese slow pacing of the movie. Many of my friends or people I know who watched this (with or without me), were bored!

Again, not because the movie is bad per se, but because they're not used to what Japanese people watch in terms of storytelling! Some even laughed at very serious moments or even scary moments. So this shouldn't be necessarily your first Asian movie you watch, but if you can cope with those minor "flaws" (for most western audiences that is sadly true, although I myself don't see that as a flaw), than watch this horror movie! It's great! :o)
The Essential Modern Japanese Horror Film
gavin694220 October 2015
Ruthlessly murdered by her father, the ghost of a seer's daughter kills all those who watch a weird video after seven days; unless the viewer finds the escape clause.

Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, Hollywood horror had largely been dominated by the slasher subgenre, which relied on on-screen violence, shock tactics, and gore. "Ring", whose release in Japan roughly coincided with the stylistically similar "The Blair Witch Project" in the United States, helped to revitalize the genre by taking a more restrained approach to horror, leaving much of the terror to the audience's imagination. The film initiated global interest in Japanese cinema in general and Japanese horror cinema in particular, a renaissance which led to the coining of the term J-Horror in the West. This "New Asian Horror" resulted in further successful releases, such as "Ju-on: The Grudge" and "Dark Water".

This really is the essential modern Japanese horror film. Not only did it launch a cycle of American remakes and get more people to notice Japanese horror, but it is terrifying in its own right. Some have tried to analyze it as a metaphor on motherhood or being about traditional Japanese culture. But really, it was just scary... and still is almost 20 years later.
Ring
jboothmillard1 March 2009
I should say firstly that I saw the Hollywood remake and was pretty freaked out by it, so I had no idea what I would think of the original Japanese version. Basically after the death of her cousin Tomoko Oishi (Yuko Takeuchi), reporter Reiko Asakawa (Nanako Matsushima) hears stories of a "cursed" video tape that will kill anyone who watches it in seven days. It is when she finds it and watches it herself that she really believes she will suffer the same fate as many others. So with the help of her ex-husband Ryuji Takayama (Hiroyuki Sanada) she is following all he clues to investigate where and how the video was made, to save not only herself, but her son Yoichi Asakawa (Rikiya Otaka) who watched it too. Of course, Reiko does save herself, but Ryuji suffers his fate when they long-haired monster girl with no fingernails from the well comes towards the television screen, climbs out, and kills him just from sight. In the end, Reiko knows the only way to save everybody's life is to show people who have already seen the video the copy, or something like that. Also starring Miki Nakatani as Mai Takano, Hitomi Sato as Masami Kurahashi, Yoichi Numata as Takashi Yamamura, Yutaka Matsushige as Yoshino, Katsumi Muramatsu as Koichi Asakawa, Rie Inou as Sadako Yamamura and Masako as Shizuko Yamamura. I admit I did know most of what was going to happen, but obviously it isn't exactly the same, and it is much more interesting to see the original. It was number 6 on The 100 Greatest Scary Moments. Very good!
1 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superior Japanese Chiller
Tweekums26 July 2008
I'd heard of Ringu, or Ring as it was called here, but didn't know much about it so when it was on television I decided to watch it, I'm glad I did as it is an excellent film. Unlike most horror films I've seen it didn't rely on shocks, gore and a high body count to scare the audience but instead was constantly creepy.

The film opens with two girls talking about the rumour of a strange video which as soon as you've watched it the phone will ring and tell you that you will die in a week's time. Of course one of them says that she has seen the tape almost exactly a week ago. Soon she is dead, her face frozen in a look of terror. It then cuts to a female reporter who is interviewing school children about the legend of the strange video, she hears that is was first seen in Izu and some people who saw it died alone in their stationary car with no signs of foul play. She later discovers that they were friends of her niece who was the girl who died at the start of the film. She heads off to Izu and goes to the place they all stayed and finds the tape which she watches. The phone then rings and she realises she has one week to figure out how to break the curse. She goes to her ex-husband for help and together they examine a copy of the tape in detail which leads them to believe that the strange girl in the tape has some connection to the island of Oshima so they head there.

There are of course other plot points but I don't want to spoil them all, especially the ending which really surprised me. I really enjoyed this film, the acting was very good in a low key manner, not the usual running around and screaming one would expect in a horror film.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Astounding terror movie about a vengeful specter that kills everybody hear a surrealist videotape
ma-cortes28 July 2010
Afterwards the horrible death of some adolescents and her niece Tomoko , the journalist named Reiko begins to investigate rumors about a videotape that causes the strange murders . As she discovers that whenever a teenager spontaneously dies with a horrifying look on his face after hearing a supposedly killing videotape and one time the phone rings ,telling he had only one week to live . The TV reporter shows up to investigate these deeds . Reiko is helped by his ex-husband and later they face a race to save their lives from spooky creature . Reiko tries to get the bottom of mystery and discovers the secrets of life of Sadako and her father . Besides mysterious events are happening at home her husband and both of them are caught up by ominous Sadako.

Based on original Japanese novel by Koji Suzuki , it was a real success in the Asian cinemas and all around the world . This horror film provides great load of screams, grisly killings and creepy atmosphere which becomes pretty sinister with the Sadako appearing . The picture is a sleek production with average budget by approx 1.200.000 dollars , and packs genuine chills , suspense, tension , and shocks , it's a terror-thriller very exciting . The film is paced with intelligent edition, special use of color and slick utilization of shock images . This frightening movie displays thrills , chills , hard-edged drama and ghastly images . While the look is suitable atmospheric and eerie, the argument stretches plausibility to the breaking point. This is an acceptable adaptation of the novel and movie that took successfully Japan . The movie has some special effects describing series of weird and otherworldly happenings and a magnificent make-up specially reflected on the hair-raising countenance of dead . Eerie musical score and tenebrous cinematography with the TV surrealist images filmed in 35 mm and in super 8 style . The motion picture is professionally directed by Hideo Nakata in similar style to Takashi Shimzu movies . Nakata is an expert on horror cinema with eerie phantoms of pale complexion and long hair and directed its following ¨Ringu 2 (1999)¨ ; furthermore he directed US version ¨Ring 2¨ with Naomi Watts. Of course ¨The Ring¨ followed its American version directed by Gore Verbinski whose argument copies exactly the Japan original movie without surprises.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one of the saviors of horror and fantasy cinema?
dbdumonteil16 January 2007
Surely so! Along with "the Blair Witch Project" (1999), "the Sixth Sense" (1999) or "the Others" (2001), this Japanese gem is a bonanza for the genre aforementioned insofar as it favors in real screenplays, pure psychological terror which is the leading thread to a crescendo. This crop of masterpieces constitutes a valid antidote to the flood of horror movies coming from the Hollywood firm in which a ton of special effects supersede cinematographic invention. But Hideo Nakata shows us that it is still possible to shiver with a minimum of means and a maximum of shrewdness. I watched Gore Verbinski's remake shot in 2002 prior to Nakata's original film and so I can compare the two works. I do think that it's every bit as good as the 1998 film from an artistic perspective. Both are terrific even if Verbinski tends to show more of the plot and its ambiguous sides and his reflection on the deadly power of TV and the media is more pronounced than in its Japanese ambassador.

My general impression about Nakata's work is that his style is more thrifty and straightforward than Verbinski's with sparse moments and a nearly contemplative pace. Evolving in a Japan caught between a modernism epitomized by the TV and an archaism which wants to protect one-time manners and customs, the filmmaker made the good choice of favoring the suggested and the off-camera to mold an unnerving atmosphere. This makes the viewer's imagination work and also makes him feel ill-at-ease when he realizes that the frontier between the rational and the irrational becomes increasingly thin. Because if one has an inking about who shot these outlandish images, one doesn't know how they were filmed. Unsettling isn't it?

However, Nakata borrowed a little from American cinema: the first sequence with the two young girls all alone in a house in which strange phenomena occur echoes "Scream". The character of the audacious estranged journalist who investigates a serious case has been seen many times before or since. But fortunately, Nakata skipped the possibility of a new union with her ex-husband. Anyway, "Ringu" bears the mark of a genuine work which revived Asiatic fantastic film. It caused so much stir that the evil Sadako became a cult character. Her figurine even dethroned the mask of Frankenstein and the killer in "Scream" in terms of popularity. "Ringu" also gave birth to a sequel and even a prequel, probably to shed more light on the mysterious character of Sadako and to work more the seam. Meanwhile, Hollywood stared at this cultural phenomenon with a keen interest.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very suspenseful, atmospheric horror that is a classic by now
ComedyFan201014 July 2015
I don't remember the American version of the movie. I sure watched it when it came out and remember being very impressed. but watching the original now, over a decade later I won't be able to compare the two.

Which is fine since the original deserves to be treated like an individual movie. I can say for sure that it is a great movie and by now one can really say that it is a classic in the horror movie genre. It is one of the most successful Japanese horror movies that also started a big interest in the West towards Japanese horror.

What makes this movie so great is that it is very atmospheric. The idea itself is original but not complicated. The atmosphere is very creepy and keeps one full of suspense. This is the better kind of horror than just some blood massacres.

The suspense keeps a tight grip on the viewer and doesn't let one relax until the very end where we get some great twists that make the movie even more shocking and giving more room to imagine what comes next.

The acting is not the major part of the movie where as I said suspense is what plays the greatest role. But the actors are really good fitting in with the mood of the movie. The one who causes all that horror is almost never on the screen and yet keeps the viewers terrified. Great work of art.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Japanese Jewelery
Coventry16 October 2003
I honestly have to say that I wasn't very much impressed by Ringu and that I expected more...but I have to blame myself for that. I saw the American remake first, and I have to say they did a good job by that for once. You're more involved in the Gore Verbinski version and there's a lot more feeling with the characters. But I do reckon that this Japanese version deserves all the respect and the praising for its originality ! Especially the last 5 years, there are some clever minds active in Japanese cinema. They breath the fresh air that the genre of horror desperately needed. The story of Ringu is fascinating, frightening and intense... The story about the mysterious videotape and its origin keeps you close to the screen for a good half an hour and you find yourself investigating along with the main characters. A good suspense film should have that effect, so in that point of view, Ringu certainly succeeded. I can't judge Japanese actors very well, but I guess they did a good job...They always look a bit less dedicated than American actors in my eyes but maybe that's just me. The female leads sure looks good enough to me.

According to many opinions, Ringu belongs to the greatest horror / thrillers ever made and certainly the best film in this genre in the last ten years. Well, with all do respect, I wouldn't go so far to call it that. Like I said, I praise its originality and ideas but that's it. You should see it, though. And if it's possible, see it before the American remake from 2002. Otherwise you'll be thinking stuff like " what's all the hype about ??"

Please check my comment on Gore Verbinski's "The Ring" for a deeper going comparison...
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Videotape Scares In The Age Of DVD and Internet Download
sunwarrior133 December 2011
Ring is a Japanese horror film directed by Hideo Nakata that was adapted from the novel Ring by Kōji Suzuki that draws on the Japanese folk tale Banchō Sarayashiki. It features Nanako Matsushima, Hiroyuki Sanada, and Rikiya Ōtaka together with Miki Nakatani,Yūko Takeuchi,Hitomi Satō, Yōichi Numata,Yutaka Matsushige and Katsumi Muramatsu.The story is about a cursed, disturbing videotape that, when watched, will cause the viewer to die a week after.The screenplay was written by Hiroshi Takahashi.

In this movie, a legend circulates among teenagers that if one watches a certain video at a certain time of the night, the telephone will ring right afterward, and one week later, you will die. When Masami tells her friend Imako this story, she scoffs -- but a week later, Imako dies. Imako's aunt, a television journalist named Reiko, hears that not long before she died, Imako was watching a strange video with her friends -- all of whom have turned up dead. Reiko tracks down a copy of the video, and as she watches its strange, spectral images, the telephone begins to ring.The next morning, Reiko begins a desperate search to solve the mystery of the video, convinced she has only seven days to live; assisting her is Ryuji, a mathematics expert and her former husband.

This film is done expertly as it combines supernatural elements with anxieties about modern technology in a truly frightening way.The story is engaging.The acting of the Japanese cast was top-notch.And most of all,the direction of Nakata was phenomenal.It retains the power to chill despite the fact that the use of videotape seems old and low tech due to the technological advances now that we are living in the age of DVD and internet download.Nevertheless,Ring remains a landmark in horror films not only in Japan but world cinema.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Well
tedg4 May 2003
Spoilers herein.

This is a rare case where the non-US original is vastly inferior to Hollywood remake.

The remake is more polished for sure, and avoids the more laughable shock techniques (negative freeze frames at death). But that's not the reason, even though `Ringu` was a bigger hit in Japan than `Ring` in the US.

The reason is that the US screenwriters apparently did some thinking about the matter, and what works. In the original, the emphasis is on the girl and her ability to psychically connect. In the remake, the emphasis is on the evil in the tape itself. That tape acts on its own; the girl is a result, opposite from the cosmology of the Japanese version. The remake supported this in many ways. Remember the fly which moved from within to without and why? Remember all the extra visual meaning the remake added to the tape, like the tree? Remember how the Dad had his own collection of video equipment?

That's because it is a whole lot spookier to be watching a movie and be convinced that movies themselves can be evil. American kids are remarkably sophisticated in this sort of self-reflection (though they stupidly call it irony, go figure). I think way more than half of the Hollywood projects aimed at kids not only use self-reference, but depend on it as a central feature.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 4: Has some interesting elements.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It`s Very Difficult To Comment On This ....
Theo Robertson30 October 2003
.... simply because I saw the Hollywood version a couple of weeks ago and it`s still fresh in my mind . I hadn`t noticed this until I saw RINGU but what director Gore Verbinski and screenwriter Ethren Kruger have done with the remake is copy it almost scene for scene and in the process made a bit of mess with it . The original as expected is superior simply because the ending is explained clearly just by a simple line of dialouge that clears everything up .
2 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A brilliant, gripping & absorbing creepy horror film that relies on good storytelling!
poolandrews2 April 2005
Ringu starts with a young Japanese girl named Tomoko (Yuko Takeuchi) & her friend telling each other scary stories about a people dying exactly one week after watching a mysterious videotape. Tomoko claims that she has seen the video in question, precisely a week ago. Before the night is over Tomoko is dead. Reiko Asakawa (Nanako Matsushima) is a typical nosey reporter trying to find a good story when she becomes involved in Tomoko's mysterious death. Reiko decides to investigate the story deeper & after some detective work finds the videotape. Reiko makes the mistake of watching the tape, moments after it's over the phone rings. Reiko is cursed & has seven days to try & save herself which becomes even more desperate when her young son Yoichi (Rikiya Otaka) also watches the tape. Together with her ex-husband & Yoichi's Father Ryuji Takayama (Hiroyuki Sanada) she tries to solve the clues & lift the curse that will it seems, inevitability lead to her death!

Directed by Hideo Nakata I thought Ringu was an excellent horror film. The script by Hiroshi Takahashi based on the novels by Koji Suzuki is gripping throughout. Not much on screen action takes place, there is no blood or gore, but I was absolutely glued to my seat! The story is both fascinating & absorbing from beginning to end. Director Nakata creates some truly creepy & chilling moments throughout, you would never think something as simple as a phone ringing could be unnerving! The power of the film lies in the story which is revealed as the film progresses, make sure you go into Ringu knowing as little about it as possible. Ringu has a very unfussy, almost documentary look to the photography & production design. Don't expect any flashy camera tricks or expensive overblown sets. This approach, keeping it in the 'real' world, works brilliantly & makes Ringu even more creepy. Everything about this film just works, the only reservation I have is that the final revelation isn't quite as drastic as I'd like & Ringu has no re-watch value whatsoever as once you know how it ends the film will lose two of the things that makes it so great, unpredictability & originality. Oh, and don't be put off by the fact that this is a Japanese film & has subtitles, Ringu is an extremely rewarding film to watch. See it as soon as you can!
1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interchangeable With its English Remake
dbborroughs7 March 2004
Even for a Japanese film this film is slow. The pacing of the film drains off much of the fear that should be there in a story that could happen to anyone of us who watches video.

In some ways this film is slightly better than the remake if only in the fact that its lack of fancy special effects makes it seem like its happening right there in front of you. (SPOILER:certainly the out of the TV scene is better here. END SPOILER) Ultimately this is an over rated film who's power comes not from the images and storytelling but rather from the fact that we are all potential victims of a tape that kills after viewing. I suppose that years ago the story would have been of a book that kills.

This isn't to say that its a bad film, its not. Its just not the genre changing one that many of us who love horror films had been led to believe it was.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Four people died from watching this videotape!
lastliberal30 August 2007
Anyone that knows me, also knows that I would never consider a remake to be as good as the original. Maybe one day, but not so far, and never a remake of an Asian film.

Hideo Nakata's direction and Hiroshi Takahashi's screenplay are excellent, and Nanako Matsushima was fantastic. Hiroyuki Sanada (Rush Hour 3, The Last Samurai, The White Countess) gave a brilliant performance as the cool, calm ex-husband opposite Matsushima's excitable performance.

The special effects were just right and the story was captivating. I really enjoyed this film.
Well constructed movie.
Boba_Fett11383 October 2005
"Ringu" is a good and original movie. The story is really good and creepy. The storytelling of the movie is even better, which makes this movie not just a good horror movie but also a good character movie.

The movie doesn't really has 'scare' moments and perhaps because of this it has some missed opportunities in it but instead the movie has a creepy feeling and atmosphere throughout the movie, which compensates for this. Also the mysterious story adds to the tension and atmosphere of the movie.

The acting isn't exactly mind blowing but it never really becomes disturbingly bad.

It's too bad that the movie has some cheap looking effects, with a bigger budget this movie could had really become an even better one.

And then the eternal question which movie is the better one; "Ringu" or "The Ring". The answer is quite easy, whatever movie you've seen first will be your favorite. Both movies have their own charm and different good things and less successful elements. From a movie technical point of view "The Ring" is however a better movie. It has an overall better look and has way better special effects and make-up.

1 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Genesis
view_and_review9 July 2021
I liked "The Ring," so it only made sense for me to watch the movie it's based upon: "Ringu." The American version was amazingly close to its predecessor. Of course, I wasn't as spooked watching "Ringu" after knowing what it's all about, but it was good to see the original in any case.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Atmospheric and flawed but highly chilling adaptation
kannibalcorpsegrinder28 April 2018
After watching a mysterious videotape, a woman finds herself cursed to die within a week afterward searches the various clues within the video to find the truth about the tape's origins and connection to a legend about a vicious woman before her time runs out and the curse consumes her.

While this one had some really good stuff, overall the flaws here take centerstage. The main aspect hurts this one is the fact that the main storyline is incredibly flawed and makes little sense. As the ghost wants her body found out, the purpose of making a videotape that originates in a backcountry community that plays only on a locally-broadcasted channel that's supposed to generate interest in solving her mysterious disappearance, an event that's counterintuitive to what she really wants. Rather than bringing a discovery to her situation, placing the means of your discovery should come about rather easily rather than going for a more crowd-friendly atmosphere instead of an isolated and partially obscure part of the country is far more ideal and thus setting up the rampage to follow. Likewise, purposefully killing those who are potentially there to help makes the whole point moot as that shrinks the number of those able to potentially help the cause, really leaving the plot quite troublesome. Beyond that, the fact that the film is just so slowly-paced and lacking of ghost action that the middle segment completely eliminates the killing to focus on the investigation into the video tape's images and source. This is spent more on looking for photographs of the missing couple, visiting the different locations of the classmates such as their school or the cabin in particular where they contracted the curse or sitting around attempting to understand the concept of the curse with her boyfriend as she is getting him to believe in the curse and trying to decipher it all, and none of those are crawling with horrific ideas or concepts. These are practically non-events that while building up the mythos around the legend all tend to prevent this one from really getting going leaving this to drag on to the final twenty minutes. Granted, that's great stuff that happens here, but it comes too little too late to save the rest of the film though it somewhat evens it out to make it borderline watchable. The film's at it's best when detailing the creepy and oftentimes downright chilling atmosphere of the tape, offering up plenty of suspense as they slowly work out the cause and details of the tape. Knowing how the visuals were created and how they came to be affixed onto the tape itself offers this one it's best sense of energy and atmosphere as one-by-one all the pieces slowly work themselves together to realize how their journey ties together. From the distorted photographs leading into the idea of the island and the research they conduct their as well as the revelations about the child in the past which starts to play a prominent role in how this one ends up. From the encounter in the well with the body to the stellar and absolutely chilling sequence with the ghost making one last appearance inside their house for a truly shocking and memorable scare. Coupled with an effective ghost design that's really creepy, these hold this one up.

Rated Unrated/R: Violence, Language and intense themes of children-in-jeopardy.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was better than "The Ring".
Aaron13751 April 2003
Everyone kept telling me how the original Japanese version of the Ring was better than our version so I tracked it down and finally found a copy of the Japanese version. For the most part I agree that it is quite a bit, better than our version. The story is basically the same as it revolves around a videocassette that kills anyone who watches it within a week. Though in this version, the images on the tape seem to fit the circumstances better, and more is explained in this one as well...though not all of it, there are still things that are unanswered. The atmosphere and mood of the movie are better than ours too, as the Japanese do not have constant music throughout, so there music cues make you a bit more edgy. The story of the girl's parents in this one is better too, and there is this thing with ESP that is simply ignored in our version. Here the father has ESP and that helps explain why the boy seems to have some sort of visions. The cast does well in this one as I think the father in this one is better than the American version. Though I did like the way the Ring looked in the American version more, and the scene where the boy told his mom that he shouldn't have helped the girl. This one ends basically looking like it has a sequel in mind, and considering there is a sequel I would have to say I am right. I hope it comes out too, as I would love to see it or any other Japanese horror, cause it seems they do a good job with horror.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong start ends week
mm-393 May 2003
The Seatle remake is better. Well they had more money, and a second chance to improve on the ideas. I found the 2 movies simular at the beginning, with this fresh concept, but the last quarter runs out of steam. The buckets, and what to do with the tape etc is a little too much. Fresh, and watchable with subtitles. I give it a six.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.