Gossip (2000) Poster

(I) (2000)

Wicked and stylish fun
LondonOnMyMind23 September 2004
"Gossip" barely got noticed when it was released. This reception was possibly due to the generally slow box office of April 2000, but also to the fact that, at times, the film's style compensates for its lack of substance. Still, the film is a fun way to spend a few hours and the screenplay provides a unique story.

The acting is pretty good, especially from the three leads - Lena Headey (Cathy), James Marsden (Derrick) and Norman Reedus (Travis). I saw Headey in some other films after this one, namely "Face" and "Ripley's Game", and was impressed not only by her emotional range, but also by her mastery of accents. Both Marsden and Reedus are better actors than they are given credit for.

The film's style and locales epitomize what I would personally call 'twenty-first century chic'. The loft is ultra cool, and so is the club. In fact, the film is worth seeing for its locales alone.

Overall, a nice little thriller. I give it a 7/10.
37 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slick, well-balanced, dramatically filmed, tense
dcampaig1 December 2000
I viewed Gossip in a classroom setting with 26 college freshmen as a unit in a class devoted to transition to college. I was pleasantly surprised at the discussion engendered by viewing the film in a classroom setting. The students responded enthusiastically and thoughtfully to the many ethical issues presented. I recommend the film for this purpose.

The first 80 minutes or so of this 90 minute suspense thriller reminded me of some of the earlier films of Brian DePalma. It is nicely shot at an urban university (NYU?), and the colors and angles add to the introduction of the main plot device - an "innocent" rumor started as a group project for a communications arts class. Notice how many right angles and sharp points are present in the party and residential settings. The students felt this contributed to the intended feeling of edginess engendered by the first 20 minutes.

The first 80 minutes are well-conceived and intricately-plotted. The plot reveals itself at an excruciatingly pleasurable pace, and a nice twist is that the character of Derek appears to know no more than we, the audience, do.

The ending is abrupt and somewhat derivative, but, in post-viewing discussion, we were able to identify a number of clues to the ending which the director has sprinkled throughout.

A dark, cine noir feeling to the production results in a film a bit out of step with the 21st century, but one that should be satisfying to fans of the genre.
24 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good surprise ending and a very good film!
quaspro8 January 2001
I am surprised that Gossip so far has received rather low ratings. If you like Shallow Grave - then you will probably like this movie. It is very similar in concept with 2 guys and a gal living together with somewhat platonic relationships. But the movie is actually more about something else that is very intense and suspenseful. I thought this movie was very captivating... all the way to the end. The acting was ok and the character Derrick Web is very well played by X-men star mardsen. If you like to guess at endings, this movie will give you a good ride.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pssst... Did you hear? This movie bombed!
Oreolove5 July 2002
Well, not totally. But it definitely left something to be desired. The plot starts out well and is very intriguing. However, the story takes some twists and turns that make it confusing and unbelievable.

The plot begins with three college friends, Cathy (Lena Headey, "The Devil's Advocate,") Derek (James Marsden, "Disturbing Behavior,") and Travis (Norman Reedus, "Deuces Wild,") who find they are very good at starting rumors. They decide to use this talent to do an experiment for a class in which they begin a rumor, track it around campus, and see how it changes and spreads. The poor subjects of their experiment are Beau (Joshua Jackson, TV's "Dawson's Creek") and Naomi (Kate Hudson, "Almost Famous.") While at a party, Derek discovers a situation between Beau and Naomi that soon becomes the rumor. However, when the rumor takes a drastic turn and students start accusing Beau of rape, Cathy and Travis must try and convince Derek that what they've started may lead to something worse. And when Naomi is found dead, the three roomates must fight among themselves and their consciences to fix a rumor that gave them more than what they bargained for.

James Marsden gives an excellent, evil performance. Norman Reedus puts a lot into his character that excels in the end. And Joshua Jackson gives a wonderful performance as a wrongly accused man. I found Lena Headey and Kate Hudson's acting somewhat bland and boring. The movie seems to try too hard when trying to surprise you. In fact, it tries so hard that it creates way too many "I have an ulterior motive" and "I'm not what you think I am" side stories. If it just went down to the basic facts and left a little of the confusion out, it would have been much better. Possibly a 10 star movie. However, because I got hopelessly lost by the end, it only earned ******/10.
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well done, and interesting.
iliawarlock13 January 2001
This is one of the rare current films which takes the trouble to combine good acting and an interesting plot with excellent filming and directing. The viewer is left to think about the "harmless" thing called gossip, and about the views and moral codes of today's young generation. It is pleasant to note that the characters are quite realistic. We have all known, in high school and college such "artistic weirdos" as Travis, such hysterical "golden girls" as Naomi, such intellectuals as Kathy Jones, and such successful athletes as Derrick--popular and admired, and yet feared somehow, for the little diabolical flash in their behavior. It is a tribute to the talent and skill of these actors that they inspire belief in the viewer while playing the roles of abstracts. It should be noted particularly that James Marsden, usually an underestimated actor, manages by his skill to inspire sympathy, and in the end, a certain amount of bewildered admiration for his character. One may argue whether lying and manipulation are immoral--but doing both of them well, and professionally, is worthy of respect. To conclude--this is a film that is rare in the genre of youth films, in that it gets the viewer to sit back and think about the life these characters live, and the life which all of us saw firsthand in school and college. The life of gossip, of lies, rumors, reputations . . . a life in which words have power over reality. The Director shows this well, and the talented and skilled actors make us believe in the reality of their characters, their deeds, their emotions, and their thoughts.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply not appreciated
mjw23058 January 2007
A vicious rumour is spreading like fire through the university, three journalism students planted the story, hoping to trace how it changes as it burns its path; but what goes around comes around.

With a young and talented cast, including James Marsden, Lena Heady, Norman Reedus and Kate Hudson; Gossip deserves more credit than it seems to have received.

The story is full of twists and is genuinely compelling to watch and easy to relate too; the direction is pretty stylish and achieves the necessary feel for the plot to play out, and the cast all contribute with solid performances.

It's either been overlooked or harshly criticised by far too many people, come on! It's a good thriller. 7/10
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent movie
ashleynwaldron22 November 2012
This was -over-all- a pretty decent movie. Nothing that would make my favorite shelf, but a movie I could definitely watch a few times a year. It's got an interesting plot and story-line, and most of the actors were top notch.

Now that being said, there were two things that kept this movie from being an excellent movie. The first one was Lena Headey; her acting was mediocre at best, and in certain parts, down right awful. But this normally wouldn't be enough to knock off too many points, but the second problem...

The ending -while decent- was definitely one that required you to suspend your disbelief. It leaves you wondering, "What was the point?".

But the acting by James Marsden, and Norman Reedus were amazing, and almost make up for it. Marsden plays the manipulative liar, who really isn't a bad guy, one who almost leaves you feeling a certain amount of pity at the end. Reedus was amazing; probably one of my favorite performances from him. The shy, SoHo, bohemian artist thing works really well for him. The interaction between the two men are some of the most interesting parts of the movie, and show the dominant/subservient or leader/follower relationship perfectly.

Passable performances by Joshua Jackson and Kate Hudson. Nothing stellar, but nothing to complain about either.

Again... Decent movie, one that could have been a hit with a few tweaks, and a different actress for Jones, but nothing that will make a 'favorites' list any time soon.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie will show you why gossiping is bad.
cengizece3 July 2012
Actually, I started watching this movie with my hopes down, ready to be bored to death and my only motive was that Norman Reedus being in it. Its IMDb rating of 5.6 is a HUGE understatement and is possibly preventing lots of people from watching it. The movie is quite interesting from the very beginning, and midway through it you start to feel as if you're in the college that the "rumor" has been spread around. The acting is outstanding and believable though the plot is a bit far-fetched, but it still is one of the best movies I've watched and in my opinion it deserves a nice big 8. If you like surprise endings and thrillers and you're having second thoughts about spending one and a half hours of your life on this movie, forget them and DO IT. Your time will not be wasted.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Three Quickest Forms Of Communication Are ...
Theo Robertson18 January 2006
Telephone...

...Telegram...

...and tell a woman

Apologies for that old fashioned joke but it did make me smile and apologies too that anyone might think it's actually true because I know fine well from bitter personal experience that idle or malicious gossip and two faced chit chat that can affect a life is just as likely to be started by males as much by females . I guess everyone already knew that ?

Interesting to note though that women like this film slightly more than men . I have to confess that I wasn't too keen on it . Now this had nothing to do with sexism and had everything to do with the way the story was developed which centres around rumours of a rape and before you can blink the rumours have spread all over college campus and a student finds himself facing charges . Other reviewers have rightly pointed out that the story is entirely dumb so I won't bother reiterating the points they've raised except to say " What about forensic evidence ? for a charge to be brought " . I also have a problem that it's a movie that's entirely made for a teen market which means the cast is young and good looking and we have to endure the MTV type of filming which totally negates any type of drama
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Lower Life of Higher Education
The_Guy_In_The_Back18 November 2006
Recently, construction on my home forced me to spend a few days at my 21 year old daughter's apartment which she shares with her equally 21 year old roommate. Hmmm... Reflectively, that's a pretty good premise for a light comedy. Or, a gritty reality show. I'm sure I'll see it next year, after somebody reads this and works it into a million dollars I won't share, but you saw it here first, folks! Moving on. This brief sojourn afforded me several nights alone, left to shift for myself. Evidently, 21 year old girls go out EVERY night. Naturally, I thought to while away some time with a fine feature film.

Enter culture shock. It seems that young women of this age possess very little of what their parents would consider watchable, let alone entertaining. However, sandwiched between classic Disney films, Bum Fights and a preponderance of films starring Orlando Bloom and Silent Bob, I found "Gossip".

Deciding to give it a try, I spent the next hour and a half or so with a growing feeling of nausea. This is a very disturbing film. The premise seems harmless enough. Three college students (James Marsden, Lena Hedley, Norman Reedus) decide to start an ugly rumor on campus for a "class project". They claim that a "friend", Beau (Joshua Jackson) had sexual intercourse with an unconscious date, Naomi (Kate Hudson) a notoriously virginal girl. Vicious as this seems, it remains relatively harmless until well meaning interference by other students convinces Naomi she has been "date raped", and this baseless, thoughtless lie becomes a criminal matter.

As a parent, this is a Class A nightmare. I STILL worry, much to my daughter's disgust. But, I also have a son, and the hellish circumstances faced by innocent Beau and his family resonates as well.

The performances of all of the young up and coming actors, none of whom, except Hudson, I have seen before, is earnest and intense, especially as the situation spirals out of control. Edward James Olmos is, as always, utterly convincing as the detective assigned to the case.

What I find so disturbing about the film is that it fails to make the point that gossip and rumors like these are not only ugly, they can be utterly destructive. Even if the subject is cleared in the end, the psychological damage to him, the girl, and both of their families is ongoing. I happen to be a big believer in justice, and I would have liked to have seen the three students responsible seriously punished, criminal records of their own being the least of the consequences.

I am also disturbed by the opinions of others regarding this film. Comments that solely praise the beauty of an actress or the excellent directing, and say NOTHING about the subject. In fact, one went so far as to state that this is just the way things are on a college campus. How sad is that? How far has our society's moral standards fallen as to brush this off as nothing unusual? This "Life Sucks.. So What?" attitude is more frightening than the threat of nuclear war. Dress it up any way you want, "Gossip" is a revisiting of the Salem Witch Trials. The general consensus that no one seems to care, or feel that the instigators deserve vilification, at the least, both sickens and scares the hell out of me.

Aside from that, there were serious reality flaws in the script. Forensic evidence, for one, or the lack of even more than a brief mention of it. The "evil" of Marsden's Derek revealed as if it were justification, both for the initial lie and the subsequent actions of the other two conspirators. The quick, and almost too pat ending.

This film had an opportunity to make a powerful statement about the effect these kinds of vicious head games have on the innocent. A good film can go far in the changing of perceptions, attitudes, even actions of those who watch it. Unfortunately, "Gossip" fails in its chance. I give this film an overall six because of the dedication of the cast. Other than that, I cannot recommend this film as anything other than a sad, sad commentary on the lack of moral standards of the up and coming generation. God help us if they don't wake up.
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The first hour is good...
aramo12 February 2003
Based on R2 DVD 87 min.

Gossip starts off well, an interesting premise, pretty people a suggestion of a good thriller to come. Alas somewhere around the 60 minute mark the script writer must have run out of pencils. The story takes a witless fantasy turn that left me feeling cheated.

The so called alternate ending is just a longer and more unrealistic one.

5/10 catch it on TV
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Drama With Plot And Suspense
groundpilot430614 November 2005
I recently seen this movie and I must say I was more than impressed. I was totally in shock when I discovered the final ending to the story. Yes Kate Hudson's performance is not some of her best work. (The Skelton Key) But all in all the rumor mill started by 3 college students. They want to see how starting a rumor about someone will change when it gets back to them as a class experiment. Not realizing that words even said innocently can hurt and destroy peoples lives. This is all I will say about this film for now except to say don't let the anyone influence you watch this MOVIE yourself. Then you can make up your own mind. As for me I rated this an 8/10.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit predictable, but a somewhat decent film
Alyvers23 April 2002
***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** This movie kept my attention throughout the entire duration, which I did not believe would happen. I found this to be a mildly entertaining film. The charming and talented Kate Hudson and the adorable Norman Reedus brought even more amusement to it. This was not as immature and simple as most other movies of this nature. However, this movie was quite predictable. Never did I think that Bo had raped Naomi nor did I ever think that Derrick did not rape Naomi. Some people may have been fooled about what had really happened to Naomi. I am happy to write that I am not one of those persons. This movie was filled with plot twists and turns. It did do a good job of keeping my attention. I rate this movie with a B+ for the suspense, a B- for the plot, a B for the acting, and an overall rating of a B, which is mainly for my bias towards Kate and Norman.
Interesting Drama
FilmFlaneur26 September 2001
Guggenheim's second feature, after almost a decade spent in TV drama, is a taut thriller based on a savage theorem: that the 'pleasure of gossip' is gained by gauging its effects, no matter how cruel and unexpected the results.

There are several things to criticise about 'Gossip': James Masden (who at times looks something like a young Tom Cruise) is perhaps too lightweight and insubstantial to project the confusion and cunning his role demands. And, even though explained away by an alleged substantial allowance, his apartment is perhaps too glitzy and fashionable for a college student. The thesis that Webb, Jones and Travis cook up together is too vague and spontaneous to be of practical use for study purposes. The debate over the rape and murder charges are unlikely to be used for teaching purposes as Professor Goodwin permits, the finale is far too elaborate to be convincing, and so on.

But there is also much to enjoy here: not least of which is a plot which, until the final few minutes brings the prerequisite closure that American audiences seem to crave, is clever, unpredictable and thought provoking. Guggenheim can claim Michael Lehmann's now classic 'Heathers' (1989) as

one inspiration for 'Gossip'. Kate's introductory remarks'I'm a girl with a problem. I know better, but I have got myself in a very tempting situation'recalls Veronica's infatuation and self-analysis in the earlier film. Webb's mysterious charm can be compared to that of Jason Dean's, while both films share a college ethos, a sense of practical jokes spinning mercilessly out of control - a plot momentum that is only stopped with an unsatisfying ending. The slickness of 'Gossip' betrays its more recent provenance, and one is left feeling that a grittier, more documentary approach might have suited its subject more, particularly as it lacks Lehmann's ironic intensity. Fortunately the direction of Guggenheim's film is right on the button and sweeps matters along so that, for most of the time it doesn't matter that some sharpness is lost.

Guggenheim's work within television has obviously led him to make some observations on the effects of the mass media. Such reflections are articulated most clearly by the McLuhanite Professor Goodwin, whose lectures bring most of the principals together, or are expressed in more practical terms by Travis. A shambling and reclusive figure, in many ways he is the most interesting character in the film and one wishes that his role had been expanded to articulate more of this obsessions. His enlargements and manipulations of Naomi's image in his TV den speak volumes about intrusion into personal space and it is entirely apposite that Webb's downfall should be captured on a monitor.

At the heart of 'Gossip' are many such intrusions. Specifically, the rapes, allegations of rape, and confession of rape, each echoing one another, driving the plot. Webb's earlier encounter with Naomi, his struggle with her on the bed during which she scratches his cheek, his uncertain sexual coupling with Jones, Noami's allegations concerning Beau… all these are linked by allegation and gossip. Significantly, the same line is uttered by Naomi to Beau, as she asks him to explain himself, as when Jones interrogates Webb about his role in matters: 'that's not an answer'. There is, of course, no real effective 'answer' to rumour. It is always a wayward invention of reality which, as Travis knows, just needs to be 'good, simple, and with room to grow'. As his name suggests, Webb can 'spin' a yarn, catch people by their credulity and it will run its course, as for the most part people are content to go along with it and enjoy it.

Spoiler ahead!

Interestingly, the 'pilgrimatic' Jones (a reference to her perceived decency throughout), confirms the pervasive nature of rumour, when she contrives the scenario that forces Webb's confession. The 'death' of Naomi is conveyed to Webb third hand and 'confirmed' by the word of others. It is of course still only rumour, but under semblance of a reliable report. Fittingly, Webb is completely taken in when his own weapon is used against him. By the end of the film, as she admit, Jones has acquired, albeit in a good cause, guile and deceiving skills of her own. Her own satisfaction at her use of methods she had previously condemned, may be tempered by sadness. But the audiences' pleasure in following through the train of events that unfold, and realising that it was all fabricated, only emphasises the truth of Webb's exercise.
Gossip
weberpr18 June 2005
Gossip is a Drama/Thriller about three college friends Derrick (James Marsden) Cathy (Lena Headey) and Travis (Norman Reedus who decide to spread gossip for one of there assignments and see how quickly it can spread, but it spirals out of control. With appearances from (Joshua Jackson) and (Kate Hudson) Gossip was not a film that grabbed my attention when it was released I like James Marsden in (Disturbing Behaviour) but just wasn't a plot for me to get into. Gossip had something very likable about but ultimately crashed and burned (Norman Reedus) delivered a great performance as the guy laying low and James Marsden was strong but it was a predictable plot and a slow story the first half of the film doesn't revolve around much.

I can't pinpoint what it was I liked about it maybe the eeriness of the gossip and Norman Reedus's performance, so much potential, disappointing though.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly interesting movie which just misses
flimbuff25 May 2001
This a surprisingly interesting and well acted film considering the rather common plot. Three college roommates cynically decide to spread a rumor to see how far it would go and then are surprised and frightened by the results. The plot does have a few nice turns but Marsden's lead isn't developed enough and in the end the writer "sold out" for the safe moralistic ending when he could have added a few more twists to make the film memorable.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever - if ultimately confusing - campus thriller
jrarichards14 June 2016
Intriguing to consider that Lena Headey, Joshua Jackson, Norman Reedus and James Marsden were pretty much unknown to me (as I guess to many of us) back around 2000 when I first watched this entertaining film; and Kate Hudson hardly known. And then here we are in 2016, catching the same film again, and it does change the perspective.

But overall what sums this piece up is the word "edgy". There's a slightly specific triangle of room-mates, albeit with the word "room" taken to indicate about half an acre of space. They are not unlikeable and close, very close, though also part of a wider circle of students characterised by that uneasy mix of determined maturity and actual immaturity, plus a deliberate desire to live on the edge, that seems to be the hallmark of students everywhere.

Ultimately our three main characters seem more than willing to do the dirty on each other. In the meantime, they (together) decide to see how far they can get with a piece of gossip, and the answer is very far indeed. And on the way, we learn what whole sections of society (artists, psychiatrists, economists, politicians, special advisers and so on) have known for years - that big lies are more easily believed than small ones, and that the truth is what the majority believe it to be.

These awful realities are made manifest in a host of different, pretty clever ways as the film develops, and even the wrap-up-the-story sting in the tail cannot really erase the "truth" of that, if you'll pardon the iteration; though it is admittedly hard for the average viewer (like me) to work out just how far back through the film what we might call "the counter-offensive" actually goes.

In any case, this is a film with a point to make and it makes it pretty effectively. It's slick and well-acted and rather dark (figuratively, but also literally given the amount of rainy nights we seem to experience). Perhaps most people, most of the time, will have something better to watch, but perhaps that will be a pity given the competence of this piece of work from Davis Guggenheim.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Gossip Should Be About Promoting This Film.
anaconda-406584 June 2015
Gossip (2000): Dir: Davis Guggenheim / Cast: James Marsden, Lena Headey, Joshua Jackson, Kate Hudson, Norman Reedus: The film is about a forest fire of words. The students presented here compare gossip to entertainment and media. During a party Derek witnesses Bo and Naomi having sex. Remembering a past rumour Naomi spread involving Cathy, she seeks revenge. With Naomi's past coming into visualization rumour spreads that Bo raped her. When Bo is arrested Cathy does some investigating. Derek argues whether they can arrest you based on what people believe? Well directed by Davis Guggenheim with numerous plot twists but the conclusion is too contrived. The outcome is flawed due to plausibility where everything would depend on union. James Marsden plays a real heat seeker bent on deception and popularity that can unravel at any moment. Lena Headey plays the guilt ridden gossip who seeks answers. Kate Hudson is featured as a gossip target who becomes the greater victim. Joshua Jackson becomes another victim when his reputation is on the line after being arrested. Norman Reedus plays Marsden's and Headey's roommate with an eye for the arts. Viewers will likely engage in its mystery and twists and turns but the conclusion could have been handled with greater credibility. The flood gates of gossip are easier to open than to close. Score: 8 / 10
A film for the ages
evangilligan9 January 2013
Gossip, in my opinion is one of the best films ever, one for the ages. Now I realize that most people don't really like this film, for one reason or another, however this film has some of the most amazing qualities that filmmakers neglect to acknowledge in today's filmmaking. One of which is the anatomy-and assemble of the cast. The main and supporting cast alone is one of the reasons that I first wanted to watch the film. James Marsden gives an absolutely enthralling performance that should be more recognized in his career. I see no real holes in his acting and his character makes me wish that we could see more of those characters in films today. When James was in this film he was just getting his career going and, what some might say he was somewhat young in that stage of his career, we should hope to see such hard work, attention to character and determination in today's 'upcoming stars', as he did then.

Derrick Webb is a character, I for one, hope to see more often in thrillers in the near future. Derrick's interesting appeal to women, and the fact that he is rich, makes it so much more enjoyable. Not to mention his character's thrilling change and turn of events; where at one stage we actually feel sorry for the guy for being a different type of 'freak'.

Travis, played by Norman Reedus is one of those characters that I love, to delve into his artistic expressions and talent, and not to mention Norman's gripping performance as yet another type of 'artistic freak' in the film. So basically I love almost everything in this film from Joshua Jackson (and his performance) to the actual storyline as well. Furthermore, the camera lens and series of close ups at thrilling points of the film are absolutely brilliant, which again I wish filmmakers put into today's movies more often. Say what you will about Gossip but I completely love this film, and find myself watching it over and over again for multiple reasons. So it all comes down to great acting, and not only good looking actors (that we don't see as much today, as we should), great storyline, great camera shots and angles. One for the ages in my opinion (that should really get higher ratings than 5.6).
Yentas on campus
jotix10023 March 2009
Let's face it, our culture is fascinated with gossip. It seems it is a national pastime. How, otherwise, can we explain the existence of glossy magazines and tabloids that deliver all the dirt to its readers. "Gossip", directed by Davis Guggenheim, and based on a screenplay by Gregory Poirier and Theresa Rebeck, a playwright on her own right, exploits the premise of how damaging to anyone an innuendo can be, when it is perceived as the truth.

The idea of spreading a nasty rumor to see how far it gets, is not a novel idea. Fortunately for the creators, the movie works out better than one thought up to the contrived finale. There are things that don't make sense, but one goes along just for the ride. If anything, the moral of the story is that the joke backfires and it comes to haunt the arrogant Derrick Webb right in his face.

We enjoyed Lena Headey's take on Cathy Jones. This young actress deserved better than what she was given here. James Marsden has some good moments. The cast looks as though out of a colorful ad for J. Crew, or one of those catalog stores.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's just words.... right?
ryanreynoldsfan72116 August 2008
Gossip is a glossed-over movie that if you ask people about it, they'll talk about Gossip Girl. I'll admit, I saw it because James Marsden was in it, and I was surprised by his edgy role. Gossip centers around three college students, Cathy, known to everybody as "Jones", who seems like a normal college girl, Travis, the off-the-wall artist who has a different mind which he shows in his work, namely his room, and Derrick, the arrogant, quick- talking schmoozer who can lie his way in or out of any situation, who owns the apartment the three share. What starts as Derrick defending a girl in a class, where he states, "We're people, and we do what we do... I like gossip. It's fun." This leads Jones to come up with their project for the class; start a rumor, track it and see where it leads. That night, the three attend a party. Jones is taking pictures outside when she bumps into rich girl Naomi, getting out of a town car with her boyfriend, Beau. Jones takes a picture of them going inside then scoffs once they've left ("Who arrives to a party in the meat-packing district in a town car?") When Derrick and his date are in the bathroom while she gets sick, Derrick sees Naomi and Beau making out. Beau tries to push Naomi, but she stops him. Shortly after, from having too much to drink, she passes out and Beau leaves. Derrick sees this and gets the idea for their rumor. The next morning, hungover Jones is hesitant to go through with it; Derrick teases her about not being able to be mean ("You're from Plymouth, with the Pilgrims and there were no mean Pilgrims") so Cathy tells Naomi's best friend she slept with Beau. Naomi hears the rumor and is afraid Beau raped her. Things go wrong. Beau gets arrested, Cathy starts doubting the plan, Naomi can't stand to hear Derrick's name, and Derrick doesn't tell the truth until he's absolutely backed into a corner. Was Gossip a world-turning film? Probably not. Do more than a handful of people know it exists? Again, probably not. Did it really need to be rated R? Once again, probably not. But it's a good movie to see once. It's edgy and a little dark but there are some dare-I-say cute moments. If you see it in the video store or better the library, rent it. It's only an hour and a half long.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gossip can turn you on... or turn on you.
marcus_stokes200014 November 2007
*Gossip SPOILERS*

Three young journalism students, Derrick (James Marsden), Jones (Lena Headey) and Travis (Norman Reedus) have an interesting idea for a Journalism class project; they'll tell a rumor and then track it as it spreads.

The selected victims are the Golden Boy and Girl of the campus, Naomi (Kate Hudson) and Beau (Joshua Jackson).

But the gossip, naughty but nice at first, quickly takes a turn for the worse, destroying both Naomi and Beau's lives.

Jones wants to tell the truth, Travis hides in his art and Derrick... what about Derrick?

And why didn't he tell anybody that he used to go to school with Naomi?

For this matter, why does Naomi react with rage at the mere mention of his name?

Enticing, interesting and thought-provoking, 'Gossip' is one of the most enjoyable and underrated thrillers of the '90s - early '00s, with a talented cast, an inspired directing - by Elizabeth Shue's husband, no less - and a very well-written (especially for a post Scream teen-college thriller) and tight script.

Watch it... and then remember it when you talk with your friends about rumors.

Gossip: 8/10.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
this movie is about the consequences of spreading rumors
you_fail_fail25 June 2007
really amazing movie... the idea of gossip is so intense... everything is intense... obviously this movie is slightly exaggerated but it also brings the viewer to think about how the gossip they have spread has affected people. Also the idea of karma was good... i really recommend this movie to anyone who likes to or has gossiped. In this movie the three main characters have to deal with learning the truth about their friends. Also their is some undertones of prejudice against rich people to deal with. Much reference is made to rich people being able to avoid problems which the main character fits this stereotype. For anyone that wants to watch something with a little more drama to it definitely recommend this movie. Phychologist might be interested in this movie. Has definitely made me want to study physiology even more.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing, well acted and fun but sometimes unbelievable
darkcybergeek12 June 2005
Plot: 3 friends spread a rumor about a girl saying that she had sex during a party. The rumor takes a twist when people start changing it by saying that she was raped. Everything gets downhill and now the 3 friends don't know what to do. Should they confess? I cannot believe how many people dislike this movie, i thought it was very interesting and original in some aspects. First the acting....It was great! I mean everybody did a very good job at it. The characters were engaging and you're never quite sure about their intentions, which makes them even more interesting! The casting was excellent and everyone fit in their roles. The plot was very original and it was so full of twists i never see coming.

It was very stylish too the use of colors, camera angles they were all used great, very good looking. Also it hit hard with its message about what a rumor can do. The story not always hold on because it felt unrealistic and exaggerated. The music/score was good and it added intensity to the movie. I truly recommend this movie to anyone looking for a more original and intriguing than the usual teen movie, i would say its very fun too.
really,really good!
claireer22 April 2000
the ending was the best ending i have ever seen! i never guessed that something like that would happen!it's definitely worth the money to see it! it's like my favorite movie now! i don't think there was one bad thing about it!