Komodo (1999) Poster

(1999)

Hands down the greatest Komodo Dragon movie out there!
Martini_Boy27 February 2002
I know, I know, you're thinking not ANOTHER Komodo Dragon movie. But trust me, this one doesn't disappoint. Clearly it's not good, but that's what makes it great. The Giant Dragons actually looked decent, and the acting was not as bad everyone would think. The plot was crazy and not what a sane person would call realistic, but therein lies the beauty. What's not to love about an island full of crazy Komodo Dragons on a blood thirsty rampage? Nothing, that's what!

If you are looking for an intellectual thriller, I have a feeling Komodo is not your cup of tea. On the other hand if you like having a few drinks with friends while trashing a very watchable movie this one is right up your alley. Dare I say, Komodo-riffic? Yes, I think I do.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
With a little work, this should've been a theatrical release
millennia-21 April 2001
First off let me say one thing... B horror and drama are the only two genres that really don't mix at all. That said, Komodo, one of the few films to actually try to combine those two genres, isn't all that bad of a movie. The special effects are in fact pretty impressive for a straight to video cheesefest, and the cinematography is definitely worth noting. The cinematographer somehow made Komodo look like a big budget studio piece, with some very inventive camera angles and my favorite... a LOT of movement. I don't know why... I'm just a fan of camera movement.

The acting, though it wasn't great, was decidedly above average for a film such as this. Jill Hennessy, star of TV's Law and Order, put forth a decent performance, but her... errr... assets seemed to have a lot more screen presence than she ever will. Kevin Zegers, one of the most talented actors of his generation, showed little of that talent here, sleep walking through his role with ease. The remainder of the supporting cast was average, with the exception of Patrick's grandmother (I think), who was just begging to be eaten. Remember that one moment in Deep Blue Sea when Samuel L Jackson got chomped up by the shark? Remember how you felt when that happened? Were you cheering? I thought so. That's exactly how you'll feel when she gets swallowed whole by the Komodo Dragon (cue cheesy Dum Dum Dum sound), and trust me, you'll be wondering why Jill Hennessy even bothers to try to save her. And thankfully it's in the film's first twenty minutes.

Well, all that said, the movie did have it's share of problems, and then some. First off, THERE WAS NO CLIMAX!

The biggest one however, was the movie's tremendous lack of focus. Many movies do have trouble focusing, but never has that been more evident than in Komodo. First off, the movie can't seem to decide whether it wants to be a Jurassic Park-esque sci fi horror flick, which it hints at in a few scenes, a Carnosaur-esque Jurassic Park rip off, which it also hints at, or a full fledged character study/drama, which I actually wish it had turned into, and also... yea, you guessed it... hints at that. It had the promise, starting off a subplot where Jill Hennessy's character has to crack through the veritable shell Kevin Zegers has created around himself, shielding him from reality. But, alas, that subplot was thrown out halfway through the movie, the main plot with the killer lizards taking over.

Secondly, the movie doesn't want to decide on who the main character is. It starts off with the focus on Kevin Zegers, shifting to Jill Hennessy, back to Zegers, then staying on the two for a while. Then, about an hour through, Zegers is completely forgotten about for over twenty minutes, not a second on screen during that time, until the end, where he's brought back for some reason. If you're gonna have a main character, you can't throw them off to the side?

I made my own Jurassic Park rip off (well, technically it was a spoof), a couple of years ago titled Catastrophe: Jurassic Park (With Cats), and I did the same thing. That was before I knew anything about filmmaking. Now that I do, I watch a Hollywood film like Komodo do the same thing and I'm blown away. Have these people even gone to film school?

Bottom line: Komodo is an entertaining B flick, but little else. But hey, if the considerably worse Bats made it to theaters, why didn't this?

***/*****
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would've been fine with an imposing monster
slayrrr66622 June 2007
"Komodo" isn't that bad but could've been a little better.

**SPOILERS**

Years after a mysterious massacre, psychiatrist Victoria, (Jill Hennessy) brings traumatized soul-survivor Patrick Connally, (Kevin Zegers) back to the small island where his parents were killed. Bringing his Aunt Annie, (Nina Landis) along with her to help him recover from the incident. Although initial attempts to get through fail, she feels she's near a breakthrough when they're attacked by giant Komodo Dragons. Attempting to get away, they seek shelter with oil workers Bracken, (Simon Westaway) Oates, (Billy Burke) and Denby, (Paul Gleeson) who work on the island. Realizing that the Komodo's are here as a result of an accident years ago and are covering up their existence on the island, they all try to survive the creatures and help him overcome his fear of the island.

The Good News: This isn't all that bad of a creature feature. This is thankfully one of the better explanations for the creature's increased aggression. Rather than simply being normal creatures blown up to insane sizes through genetic testing that also made them crave meat, this one simply has them become hungry due to lack of natural food and the characters show up on the island at the worst time possible, forcing them to go after the only food source. It works from a nature stand-point, as this has happened where lack of food has made creatures savage and feral, adding credibility to the film, while also not sounding like every other flick out there in the genre. The pacing isn't all that bad, and even though there's no real stand-out action sequence or one happening every five minutes, this still manages to remain watchable. There's no real down-time devoted to needless exposition or useless scenes that deeper define characters that don't mean anything. The attacks, what few are shown on-screen, aren't that bad and actually come off pretty good, most notably the initial house encounter. The appearance of the creature that early in the film is a nice shock, the attempts to get away are pretty suspenseful and the pay-off is quite rewarding and really works. The highway escape has some spooky moments, and the final showdown is still modest and low-key, just like the film. The best scene is the encounter in the tunnels, which is full of action and features a lot of great moments. From the nice touch of the creature's step breaking away part of the floor to the trap set for it to the lucky break needed to escape the threat, it's a really fantastic sequence that throws in a great jump and plenty of action into the mix. The last part that works for the film is it's creatures. When they're not CGI-created and actually are depicted by models, they look great. There's a sense of them actually being there, they look close-enough for realism sake, and move like real ones. All together, this one isn't that bad.

The Bad News: This here did have a few problems with it. The biggest problem is that there's no real blood or gore in here. This is mostly determined by it's weak rating, which really results in harming the film more than anything. This robs the creatures of their menace, relegating most of their attacks to happen off-screen away from showing the viciousness that is shown when they pop back up on-screen. The attacks are pretty brutal-appearing yet there's only a couple attacks that are shown. There's very little blood at all, and more appears on the creature-aftermath than through the human victims, and that really lowers their threat-level if they don't vigorously tear into prey. The other problem, which really haunts most creature features, is the use of CGI to render the creatures. Despite the mix of the real-life puppets in several scenes, the times where the CGI creature comes into play are painfully obvious. The activity is far too exaggerated for living creatures, they don't blend in naturally and have an air of fake-ness around them. These here are it's main flaws.

The Final Verdict: While there's a few flaws, this one still has enough good points to make it a great recommendation for creature feature fans. Give it a chance if you're a fan of these films, or those curious, though if you're a gore-hound then at least seek caution with this one.

Rated PG-13: Violence, mild Language and creature violence
Awesome lame lizard-fest...
WritelySo12 January 2002
This movie was great for what it was... sort of a utility grade Jurassic Park. It was about as hi-fi as any made for TV movie, but the concept was a bit different from most "killer reptile" movies, so that brought in a bit more interest. The lizards were very well conceived, and very exciting... but that's coming from someone who likes "killer reptile" movies. If you want amazing, watch Jurassic Park... if you want a diversion that's kinda exciting, and just a hair deeper than "Python," check out Komodo.
Surprisingly fun B-movie.
K-Cide14 September 2000
While I wouldn't call Komodo a classic by any means it is the most fun direct-to-video movie I've stumbled across in some time. The direction is pretty good, the acting is tight, and the lizards look great, especially when you take into account how low the budget was on this film. While the story is a bit lacking, it still comes across as reasonably entertaining. I recommend Komodo for a weekend rental. It won't change your life but its a fun way to spend an hour or so. You might also want to check out the DVD edition which has some neat features.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie about killer komodos out of control ever made!
r-enderlein226 January 2011
the story has been already reviewed excellent by IMDb.com itself and many users so let's jump to the funny part: what the hell makes the movie 10 star worthy to me? Well, first i'm in love with the movies (including the bad ones). as long a film entertains me, it gets his 10 points...Period. Oh and 'komodo' entertained me a lot. If you like animal creature features, i recommend 'jaws' or 'komodo'. If you like horror, i recommend 'the exorcist' or 'komodo'. If you like comedy, i recommend 'some like it hot' or 'komodo'...fill in some genre and cinematic epic of choice...

but serious, 'komodo' is a great creature feature, done with love, packed with action,adventure&comedy and kids can watch it too, because there's no blood&guts.this is for the *boo,b-movie trash* screamers: the entire look of the movie doesn't looks cheap in anyway, neither the great special effects nor the superb cinematography) and my question to the studio lobby: why couldn't you bring such movies (or some of the other titles named above) to the big screen anymore? it's a shame...
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not bad
steveH2O25 April 2001
Watched this lowbudget action/horror take on Jurassic Park and it was surprisingly pretty good. Decent acting and effects. I would take this over Anaconda/Lake Placid anyday.Not a masterpiece but an ok timewaster.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed it
lovebug23930 December 2000
I saw Komodo at my birthday party. My party guests and I loved it. We watched it like three times and thought it was really good. I know that a lot of people may not have liked it because it was a monster movie but we liked it because it was both entertaining and even though sometimes we knew what was going to happen we screamed because it was actually scary! Most movies that are classified as horror are not scary at all but this was!!! I recommend that you see it, but this is just my opinion and you probably have different taste in movies!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The F/X are great. The rest of the movie? Well, uh....
Wizard-813 September 2000
Whether the komodo dragons are depicted with animatronics or computer graphics, they look top notch and scary - when you see them. (You don't see them as much as you might think.) However, the rest of the movie is A MESS! The characters were murky and unlikable, and the story was at times so lacking in key details, I am positive that the movie was either handed to the most incompetent editor alive, or that they didn't have enough money to shoot everything. (I don't think anyone could be that dumb to have chosen to film the script if it had actually been written the way the movie progesses onscreen.) Not enough gore or action for the red meat crowd anyway.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SLICK KILLER Komodo FILM WILL SCARE !!!!
Professor Ballz4 November 1999
This intelligent CREATURE film has plenty of thrills, chills and scares to please. The only thing that's missing is a runaway budget with nothing to show.. Scenes leading up to the killer Komodo attacks are paced in such a way that the viewer can't help but think that Komodos are around every corner. For all of you out there that want to get your Creature kicks, see this flick as soon as it hits you theater. Kudos to all the filmmakers. Great first time direction by Lantieri. Can't wait to see what he's doing next ! Great sets, cinematography, music and editing ! All around SOLID ! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT AGAIN !
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the lamest movies ever!
Maciste_Brother27 April 2004
I bought a KOMODO video for a penny and I regretted spending that much money and time on this sucky movie. Talk about lame! An idiot smuggler drops a couple of komodo eggs on an island in Florida and years later, the parents of a boy are killed by the now full-grown lizards. Then the boy, who's a traumatized teenager now, returns to the island with his counselor or something and all hell breaks lose. Terrible on all aspects: script, dialogue, music, action, logic, story, whatever!

This film is totally illogical. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief to a certain extent but in this case, the idea that a big bunch of komodo dragons living on an island without anyone knowing about it except for those hired goons and oil tycoon guy was ludicrous. Avoid!!!
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good...
TobyS21 March 2001
Not a bad direct to tape creature feature. Too bad Michael Lantieri didn't have a bigger budget to play with because as much as I liked Komodo, I think it still had a lot of potential. Need more proof? Anaconda wasn't much more, and that film raked it in at the box office.

The set up is standard, and the characters are pretty much off the self, but I found the film to be entertaining nevertheless. My only complaints with Komodo are that the animals looked pretty fake in certain scenes (hey Michael, I know the budget was small, but couldn't you have called in some favors from the people you won Oscars for Jurassic Park with?) Also, I could've done without the afternoon soap opera music. This is supposed to be a thriller, not Steel Magnolias.

On the upside, this film had it's share of scares. I jumped more while watching this movie than I did watching Blair Witch 2 (which may not seem to be saying much, but you get the idea). Also, contrary to other comments posted, I think Kevin Zegers (Patrick) did a fine job with the role. No, he didn't talk much, which was a little bit of a let down, but then again, the role didn't call for a lot of dialogue. He looks to have a lot of potential, and I think we'll be seeing a lot more from him in the future.

The box art for Komodo touts Lantieri's association with Jurassic Park, and watching the movie, the similarities become clear. There are much worse ways to spend 90 minutes, and movies with much larger budgets that are still a few notches below this one. Komodo may be mindless, but it's mindless fun.

My grade: B
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How not to make a modern-day killer animal movie
panthonyd27 August 2000
There are two distinct categories of modern killer-animal movies: those with a budget and those without a budget. Komodo obviously fell into the former, but failed to live up to its group's standards.

In order to make a successful monster-dragon (or other man-eating creature) movie, two or more of the following elements need to be in place:

1) It is assumed that high-budget movies will all have decent special effects. Komodo did indeed have some cool CG and animatronic dragons.

2) Throw in a rough, un-likeable protagonist so that you occasionally root for the monster. Anaconda did this quite well with John Voight's character. But there also need to be some characters who you don't want to be eaten. I guess that's where Komodo lacked.

3) Add a comic relief ... please. LL Cool J was great in Deep Blue Sea and the entire cast of Lake Placid fit this description perfectly.

4) Add character development. Hats off to Jurassic Park.

5) Please, oh please, come up with an original story. Do not, under any circumstance, have a 16 year old boy tear out a dragon's heart and paint his chest with blood. Ok? There is a line you must not cross here. We already saw and/or read Lord of the Flies.

6) Cast a high-salary movie star and kill him/her off in the first half of the movie. Rest in peace Sam Jackson.

Since Komodo barely met one of these standards (#1), it will forever be placed into that void where lie big budget failures like Supernova and End of Days.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TheUnknown837-123 January 2011
To me, "Komodo" is fun. Partly because I am a real sucker when it comes to movies like this and partly because this one in particular was assembled by a cast and crew composed of concerned individuals. It not only stands over, but towers above many of its kin (some of which are also about large, flesh-eating lizards from Indonesia) with higher production values, a mostly excellent cast, and more of the creative magic that we love the movies for. Now I admit it does not appeal to all, in fact very few, but I cannot deny the fact that I liked it. And I really don't see it as that much of a guilty pleasure.

Now the setup of how a colony of ten-foot-long Komodo dragon lizards end up on a North Carolina island is an eye-roller, but the rest of the plot's fabrications are welcoming in their effort and imagination. You see, the lizards massacre a vacationing family on the island, leaving only their teenage son (Kevin Zegers) alive. When he is suspected of having suffered a mental breakdown (having witnessed his parents being torn to shreds in a surprisingly effective opening sequence that relies on our imagination to fill in the gaps) he is escorted back to the island in an effort to discover the truth by his aunt (Nina Landis) and a devoted psychiatrist.

The shrink is played by the lovely and talented and underrated Jill Hennessy (of "Law & Order" fame) and it is her performance's conviction and the sure-minded dialogue she is given in the screenplay by Hans Bauer and Craig Mitchell that formulates one of the best elements of the movie. Does the picture go into a big, psychological character study of her or anybody else? No. But what it does is create some likable individuals whom we might actually end up caring about when they confront the lizards. There is also a very interesting subplot involving a biologist-turned-mercenary (very well-played by Billy Burke) who is suspected of murdering his wife when the real culprits are, guess who? There's also a very likable character, a trustworthy and noble boatman, also well-played, by Michael Edward-Stevens. With the exception of the snarling, nasal-voiced oil company executive, I found conviction and interesting dynamics (in the monster movie way) from these characters.

I think the key to "Komodo"'s success with me was that, unlike many of its fellow creature features, it was put together by a director who had a clue of what he was doing. Is not a coincidence that the movie has good special effects when its director, Michael Lantieri, was the special effects supervisor of pictures such as "Jurassic Park" and therefore had connections with fellow animator Phil Tippett's special effects studio? The titular Komodo lizards are very well-realized via a combination of life-sized animatronics and some very detailed computer graphics. Not only that, but the filmmakers take care in giving us the illusion that the big carnivores are really there by having them nudge, bump, and knock things around in the sets. There's a marvelous and exciting sequence where one of the big lizards shows up unexpectedly in the house, bursts through a pair of doors that two characters are hiding behind, and knocks over a table stacked with items using its head. The coordination and efficiency makes this sequence, and many others, work out extremely well.

Also worthy of praise is the imaginative, technically-rich camera work by David Burr (he makes great use of crane and dolly shots whereas many creature features resort to tired old hand-held and locked-down shots) and a wonderful, ear-worm musical score by Academy Award-nominee John Debney. They work well with Mr. Lantieri (who had not made a picture before this one and unfortunately not one since) and bump the movie's production values up several notches above what we would usually expect from a movie simply titled "Komodo." Now you do have your moments of loony dialogue and again, I really wished that they had eradicated the physical presence of the greedy oil exec and instantly implied him rather than show him, but overall the screenplay for "Komodo" also shows some promising creativity. The whole movie does. Even its detractors have to admit that the movie is a whole tier above its contemporaries and I think, for people going in with the right state of mind, will be very fun. I usually detest the monster pictures I find on the SyFy Channel, but this one was a delightful surprise.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comes off as a poorly made and cheesy B-movie, but...
Dragoneyed3639 August 2009
I mean, with a name like Komodo and the way the movie case and posters look, whoever expects this to be good from the get go is crazy. Well, I had watched it over 5 years ago and had forgotten about it until now, and decided to watch it again, because I didn't remember a thing about it. I remembered it being laughable, but here again, I didn't remember anything about the actual movie, so I was not that excited about rewatching it, but I felt like I could get a good laugh at it in any case.

Well, I didn't laugh one bit! In fact, I was very pleased with how this movie turned out! As it started off I was immediately entertained. The plot was as thin as paper and the characters became questionable at times, but overall this movie was very satisfying and not bad at all. The performances were surprisingly over average! I could watch an hour and a half of Kevin Zegers laying in the floor reading the newspaper or something like that anyway for he is a fantastic actor and is not bad to look at at all. The main girl did astonishingly well too; She made her lines and character believable, and though of course this movie isn't a masterpiece it turned out to be way more than I thought it would be.

The special effects were surprisingly really good as well, I mean, for a B-Movie. This film obviously wasn't given a high budget and job well done with the special effects for such a small amount of money! Overall, I actually even think a 3.7 is too low of a rating! There are a lot worse films than Komodo, for this was not bad at all and is even worth a second watch! Great opening act, pleasing performances, nice special effects, but a plot that is so dull it's see through and around the end felt rushed and a little mediocre. Still, I enjoyed this film and recommend it if you can appreciate it for what it is.
Awesome!
filmcritic30007 August 2000
I work at a video store, and I watched this last night. It's available for rental Tuesday, and believe me I'm going to recommend this to all fans of sci-fi and horror films. Initially, you may think this is just a cheesy lizard flick, but disregard those thoughts IMMEDIATELY. This movie is full of awesome special effects and several set pieces that WILL make you jump, most definitely. The F/X team seamlessly blended Phil Tippett's CGI Studio's work with animatronics to create a truly creepy and genuinely scary horror film. Sure, the characters and script aren't Oscar material, but if you're in the mood for a good horror film that'll make you perch on the edge of your seat in anxiety, then "Komodo" is the perfect rental for a Saturday night alone...at home...in the dark.
Good for what it is
Lucian-326 October 1999
A decent example of a B-horror movie. More believable than most with an real attempt to be scientifically credible. No great acting or writing but what do you expect from a movie about komodo dragons? At least the dragons look convincing enough. The sound is excellent too.
Pure Monster-Movie Garbage
roddekker11 August 2015
Filled to overflowing with one red herring after another, Komodo was the sort of "seen-it-all-before" monster movie where the viewer could plainly foresee what was coming their way long before it actually happened.

With a movie like Komodo, you can bet that (from start to finish) the viewer would never be asking themselves such things as - "Gee! I wonder what's going to happen next!?"

Yes. Komodo (with its $15 million budget) had some pretty decent production values (even though some of the effects looked really fake) - But its story was nothing but pure monster-movie cliché right from the word "Go!". Believe me, Komodo's predictability actually got to the point of being a total embarrassment in no time flat.

Implausibility also lost Komodo some very serious points. I mean, for one to actually believe that such a ferociously big creature as this one (with such a ravenous appetite) could go around completely unnoticed for as long as it did (20 years) the viewer would really have to be certified ding-a-ling.
Awesome Movie
rgk-bharani28 May 2014
Wow, I remembered my school time memories again. Because of watching this Komodo Movie on my phone. Great Graphics, thunderous music tracks and finally. Especially the ending theme is awesome. I loved to watch this movie again and again with my family. Everyone have the feelings of horror. Thanks to the director of this movie, cameraman, background sounds editors, visual effects editors, and mainly the music director. when am studying in higher grade school, me and my elder brother and younger sister watching in the digital surround system theater in my hometown. We are sitting in the end of the seat and go back when the dragon comes. then we again sit in the front when dragon goes.
Big teeth, no bite
Chase_Witherspoon29 April 2011
15-foot long Komodo dragons elect to stalk the meagre pickings on an island off North Carolina (though filmed in Australia), rather than be starved into extinction. Holidaying family run afoul their insatiable appetite, save for the adolescent boy, who must return to the island to overcome the subsequent psychological trauma that has him on the verge of being committed to an asylum. Child psychologist (Jill Hennessey) encourages the boy to return along with his only remaining relative, and soon discovers perils that occupy the mind, often exist in the flesh.

While the visual effects are well crafted, and, dare it be said, virtually seamless in terms of the juxtaposition of CGI and animatronics, the narrative is laboured and slow-moving, and never really develops the identities of the characters. Hennessey is unconvincing, and the supporting cast are stereotypical and superficially drawn (Westaway's evil corporate crony is embarrassing courtesy of the rubbish dialogue and forced cockney accent), but still manage to somehow command an attempted tear-jerking epitaph after they're fatally mauled.

While the prospect of the Komodo dragon preying on humans isn't that far-fetched under any circumstances, the formula is routine, and the emphasis misplaced – the film attempts to build characters and invoke sympathy, when it should have concentrated on suspense via its already impressively manufactured title creatures. Sporadic thrills for the casual viewer, but too much bark and not enough bite for a genre fan.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Average 'creature on the loose' monster film.
poolandrews27 December 2005
Komodo starts on the 'Emerald Ise North Carolina' where some guy (Nique Needles) chucks a bunch of Komodo eggs on the side of the road, for no apparent reason as you would. Jump forward '19 Summers Later' & teenage boy Patrick Connally (Kevin Zegers) & his parents (Bruce Hughes & Jane Conroy) arrive home, that night they are attacked & killed by giant Komodo's. Back on the main land & ever since the unfortunate incident Patrick has been suffering post traumatic stress, as you would I suppose. The authorities want to put him in a mental hospital but his psychiatrist Victoria (Jill Hennessy) believes taking him back tot he island to confront his fears & inner demons will cure him, I'm not sure why but there you go. Patrick's aunt Annie (Nina Landis) also goes along for the ride, just to have a disposable character for the Komodo's to kill more than anything else. Once there they are attacked by the vicious Komodo's & together with two hunters, Oates (Billy Burke) & Denby (Paul Gleeson), must fight the Komodo's & find a way off the island or become lizard food!

This Australian American co-production was directed by Micael Lantieri & is an OK nature on the rampage type film but nothing to get excited about. The script by Hans Bauer & Craig Mitchell treads the same worn path that these types of films do, the isolated location, the monster threat, the hero, the one who gets separated from the group & the other's insist on finding them, the rich uncaring businessmen who are only bothered about money & various unlikely coincidences (the only two vehicles on the island just happen to crash into each other?) that leave our group of survivors in peril. Komodo moves along at a fair pace although thinking about it now not much really happened, only three people die during the bulk of the film & it has relatively low ambitions as a spectacle. I don't understand why these Komodo's are so big, nothing is ever mentioned & in fact Oates (who also happens to be a biologist, a complete co incidence of course) claims they are just an endangered species. I've never know lizards that big. Also why does the oil company want to secretly kill these lizards? It's claimed because they don't want bad publicity which is fine but if their that concerned about publicity why not capture them & relocate them somewhere safe? Surely that would bring massive amounts of free positive publicity, I mean an oil company caring for the environment right? The character's are paper thin & you can spot the ones who are going to die a mile off.

Director Lantieri brings a degree of competence to the film but not much else. It has no real style, tension or excitement. Having said that the Komodo CGI effects are surprisingly very good, these don't look too far behind the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park (1993). The attack scenes aren't that great as the Komodo's walk so slowly, most people could probably out-walk them. Forget about any blood or gore, just a couple of Komodo bites.

Technically Komodo is alright, with a budget of about $15,000,000 Australian Dollars it's a nice looking film & well made. The beautiful Australian locations are the films one real highlight. The acting was OK but nothing outstanding.

Komodo is an OK time waster but it brings nothing new to the monster on the loose sub genre that Jurassic Park didn't over six years prior. Just about worth watching if your desperate or if there's nothing else on.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fine for a killer lizard flick
ojhwel23 August 2000
While the story has been done numerous times and the exposition(s) at the beginning could have been handled more concisely, the movie avoids most of the pitfalls that usually make this kind of movie so laughable. Here, the heroine, a psychologist, thinks quickly and does have the obvious ideas (like going for the eyes of the beast after her); people die basically in the order you expect them to, but at least they don't get to finish their "meaningful last words" (nor do they have anything important to say).

The visual effects are top-notch, the plot -- as I said above -- isn't annoying, the acting is fine (gotta love Jill Hennessy) for this sort of movie and while some people in the audience seemed to think the ending was too fast, at least it avoided the usual "oh, there's a mother monster" and "oh, it's not dead yet" cliches.

In short, if you want to see big lizards eating people without having to check your brains at the front door, watch this.
Special effects
42421 February 2000
Good special effects, a nice mix between computer graphics and real size puppets. A movie for you like "Jurassic Park", "Anaconda" & "Deep Blue Sea". But there is a lack of a good ending witch drags the points down on this movie.
Pretty good actually
rooboy8425 October 2002
*Spoilers* Don't let the 3.6 rating fool you, this actually ain't a bad movie. It's no Jurassic Park, but it beats Anaconda. The special effects are pretty good and the acting is great too. Only problem is it's predictable and the ending is flat and and easy solution.

61%
Shameless Clone
macgyvermagic8 March 2001
When Komodo Dragon eggs are left on a island the trouble starts. People start disappearing and the reason is quite obvious. To make it all worse the parents of Patrick Connolly are eaten, which leaves him traumatized. Some nutcase shrink thinks the way to treat him is bringing him back to the island where it all happened. The result is a shameless clone of Jurassic Park. All actors, except Kevin Zegers (Patrick) fail to set the right character. Kevin, however, shows his talents and is the only real reason for watching together with the special effects.