Gladiator (2000) Poster

(2000)

2,555 Reviews
They said you were a giant. They said you can crush a man's skull with one hand.
hitchcockthelegend6 August 2014
Ridley Scott's Gladiator is not a perfect film, I would think that the hardiest of fans, of which I'm firmly one, know this deep down. Yet just like Commodus in the film is keen to point out that he himself has other virtues that are worthy, so does Gladiator the film. Enough in fact to make it an everlasting favourite of genre fans and worthy of the Academy Award acknowledgements it received.

In narrative terms the plot and story arc is simplicity supreme, something Scott and Russell Crowe have never shied away from. There has to my knowledge as well, never been a denial of the debt Gladiator owes to Anthony Mann's 1964 Epic, The Fall of the Roman Empire. Some folk seem very irritated by this, which is strange because the makers of Gladiator were not standing up bold as brass to proclaim they were unique with their movie, what they did do was reinvigorate a stagnant genre of film for a new generational audience. And it bloody worked, the influence and interest in all things Roman or historically swashbuckling of film that followed post Gladiator's success is there for all to see.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.

So no originality in story, then. While some of the CGI is hardly "Grade A" stuff, and there's a little over - mugging acting in support ranks as some of the cast struggle to grasp the period setting required, yet the way Gladiator can make the emotionally committed feel - overrides film making irks. Crowe's Maximus is the man men want to be and the man women want to be with. As he runs through the gamut of life's pains and emotionally fortified trials and tribulations, we are with him every step of the way, urging him towards his day of revenge splattered destiny; with Crowe superb in every pained frame, winning the Academy Award for Best Actor that he should have won for The Insider the previous year.

Backing Crowe up is Joaquin Phoenix giving Commodus preening villainy and Connie Nielsen graceful as Lucilla (pitch Nielsen's turn here against that of Diane Kruger's in Troy to see the class difference for historical period playing). Oliver Reed, leaving the mortal coil but leaving behind a spicy two fold performance as Proximo the Gladiator task master. Olly superb in both body and CGI soul. Richard Harris tugging the heart strings, Derek Jacobi classy, David Hemmings also, while Djimon Hounso gives Juba - Maximus right hand man and confidante - a level of character gravitas that's inspiring.

I didn't know man could build such things.

Dialogue is literate and poetic, resplendent with iconic speeches. Action is never far away, but never at the expense of wrought human characterisations. The flaming arrows and blood letting of the Germania conflict kicks things off with pulse raising clarity, and Scott and his team never sag from this standard. The gladiator arena fights are edge of the seat inducing, the recreation for the Battle of Carthage a stunning piece of action sequence construction. And then the finale, the culmination of two men's destinies, no soft soaping from Scott and Crowe, it lands in the heart with a resounding thunderclap. A great swords and sandals movie that tipped its helmet to past masters whilst simultaneously bringing the genre alive again. Bravo Maximus Decimus Meridius. 10/10
225 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best films ever
ajkbiotech6 April 2021
There are so many iconic lines and quips in this film, too many to count

It was easily the best film of the start of the millennium.

"on my mark, unleash hell!"

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."
31 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you entertained? Yes sir yes I am
nathanmanson6 December 2020
How good is Russell Crowe though, easily one of my favourite actors. Joaquin Phoenix play the role of a little weasel very well. Absolute classic of a film.
38 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As a matter of fact, Maximus, I AM entertained.
mahmus11 October 2020
Gladiator is the best bread and circus. A moving and very entertaining action epic with Russel Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix at the top of their game.

I absolutely love Joaquin Phoenix in this movie. He's the kind of villain you love to hate. So pathetic and childish. So ruthless and creepy. Just right amount of cartoonish. I wanted to punch him in the face.

It can be corny and it drags a bit during the escape plan part of the plot, but it has enough emotion and brutal violence to keep the audience entertained, and that's what a good gladiator match should be.
70 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great
MR_Heraclius24 February 2020
Gladiator is a historical epic from director Ridley Scott. After being betrayed by the new Caesar, Roman general Maximus is sold into slavery as a gladiator where he rises to fame as a people's champion and finds an opportunity to exact his revenge. Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, and Connie Nielsen lead the cast and deliver strong performances. Additionally, the gladiator fights are especially dynamic and exciting, featuring several different styles of combat. The costumes and sets are also remarkably well-done, and create a vivid depiction of ancient Rome. And, Hans Zimmer's score does an excellent job at capturing the tone of the film. Thrilling and action-packed, Gladiator delivers a compelling tale. "Are you not entertained?!"
87 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maximus Decimus Meridius
dk77715 February 2021
One of the really great film achievements that has what every film should have, and that is the character that makes the film worth watching.

In this case, it's a character you just have to love, an honest and honorable soldier doing his duty and who actually just wants to go home. Instead of going home, circumstance directs him on a path of revenge and bloody battles.

The cast is good and Joaquin Phoenix is great as Commodus, one of the best villains on the movie screen ever. Insidious and sinister, he is the perfect opposite of Maximus, and that is the backbone of this truly visually impressive cinematic piece.

The cinematography is excellent, the film is a true visual marvel and transports us to some other, ancient times. The battles are spectacular, bloody and brutal, and the battle with the chariots is especially impressive.

The music fit the story perfectly, the soundtrack is brilliant. The music further emphasizes the emotions and makes the film even better.

The film is full of violence, which is brilliantly directed and exciting and evokes the brutality of that time. The characters give us the feel and impression of that time and what is really great is that there is nothing modern in them.

A spectacular and tense cinematic achievement.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disturbing, but beautifully made and well acted, as well as jaw-dropping scenery!
TheLittleSongbird15 May 2009
Ridley Scott rarely disappoints with his films. All of them, including the unjustly-maligned Legend, are visually stunning and just show the director's artistic genius. Gladiator should be up there as one of the best films he's done, if not the best. Almost everything on screen is very graphic, making some scenes upsetting to watch, but the visuals are just outstanding. The music score by Hans Zimmer just adds to the drama that is already there in the script. which is well written and rather Shakespearean. The performances were brilliant, especially Joaquin Pheonix and Oliver Reed. Russell Crowe is wholly convincing in the title role, and Richard Harris and Connie Nielson are also excellent. The costumes are brilliant, as well as the sets. In conclusion, Gladiator is a near masterpiece, only marred by some upsetting scenes. 9/10 Bethany Cox.
19 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why don't they make films like this anymore
allicouldbe18 February 2019
Seriously the best fantasy film of the modern area with great acting and emotional rollercoastering all the way through. The soundtrack by Zimmer really propels this film
102 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie
marianstelian29 December 2020
This movie is amazing, every soul should see this, Russell Crowe deserved the Oscar
19 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Throwback To The Epics Of The '60s
ccthemovieman-11 November 2006
An intense Roman epic, a la "Ben-Hur" or "Spartacus," it was nice to see something like this made again. It had been since the 1960s that we had seen a 3-hour extravaganza like this.

Like Ben-Hur, this is a story of a successful man who loses everything thanks to an evil man, and then has to fight his way back up to seek revenge on that man and to obtain his freedom back. It's a tried-and-true formula. This movie doesn't go to excess on the violence as some of the other more recent epic films did, such as "Braveheart" or "The Patriot."

The acting is excellent, beginning with Russell Crowe, who has established himself as one of the best actors of today. Joaquin Phoenix also put himself "on the map" as an actor with his portrayal of the evil "Commodus." He's so annoying you want to slap that sucker, which means he's doing a good job acting. Kudos to the rest of the cast, too.

Too bad they don't make more of these type of films, as they did in the 1950s and 1960s.
76 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i'll watch it again and again and again...
spipeschi22 May 2021
Seen it Five Times, Always Gripping like a Shakespearian Tragedy.

Not quite the same punch as Kubrick's Spartacus but with a dose of Ben-Hur and a Hint of Barrabas, everything in this Modern Epic is of extreme quality, not sure about historic accuracy however it delivers Big Time!

Top Five of the new Millenium IMHO.

One of Riddley Scott's Masterpiece with Alien.

Thank you Hollywood! Please create more like this one?
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually Captivating Ancient Rome
daoldiges5 October 2021
Gladiator is an epic film in its reach and grandeur. It shoots for the stars and occasionally reaches, but the weak script prevents it from it's aspirations of greatness. Crowe's performance received the lion's share of attention but for me it's Phoenix performance that really drives this film. The cinematography, costumes, direction, and score are all excellent and raise the film to a thoroughly entertaining experience.
Are you not entertained?
Calicodreamin12 October 2021
The glorious story of a general turned gladiator who must fight for the morality of Rome. The action scenes are well coordinated and brutally realistic. The characters have depth and are well acted, Crowe and Phoenix are a dynamic pair.
Great movie
kyragd200920 March 2021
Awesome movie. Great storyline and perfect choice of actors. Joaquin Phoenix had to get an Oscar for his amazing acting.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gladiator: "Are You Not Entertained?" - Yes!
jaybizman11 November 2020
Russell Crowe rightly earned an Oscar for his performance in this movie. Joaquin Phoenix played the part of a jealous, cowardly Emperor perfectly.

There are thousands of 'Reviews' on IMDB about Gladiator, so I'd like to add a personal anecdote or two; in the first ten minutes or so there is a final battle between the might of the Roman Army and the "Huns" (German Tribes.) This was the Battle of Teutenberg Forest and it was shot in a farmers field, called Bourne Woods - about two miles from where I used to live.

Seems that when the producers approached the UK's Forrestry Commission for permission to (literally) burn down the forest on the land, they were given permission as the forest was due to be uprooted anyway. So the Commission was happy for the movie makers to do the work for them. Amazing.

Oliver Reed (RIP) was someone who used to frequent a local pub, and he would tell tall tales to keep everyone "entertained" - his drinking was legendary.

This movie, IMO, paved the way for others to follow: "sword and sandals", such as Centurion, The Eagle, etc. and will be difficult if not impossible to beat.

Another Scott helmed movie is The Kingdom of Heaven with Orlando Bloom and Eva Green. If you loved Gladiator, check this one out also.

Ridley Scott's "Gladiator" - entertainment par excellence. 10/10. Easily.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solidly good film with many enjoyable scenes!
SPZMaxinema23 October 2021
Aside from a few dull scenes that slowed down the film as well as some minor elements that didn't make a ton of sense, this film was an enjoyable time for both my eyes and ears! Hans Zimmer's score along with much of the cinematography and directing of action scenes, plus for sure Joaquin Phoenix's incredible acting, made this film what it is. This is the first sword and sandals film that I have seen and I can see why some might consider it the best one!
Edge of Your Seat Fun!
shoktart19 February 2001
Great Story! Great Writing! Great Acting! Great Directing! Great Score! This movie has it all. I especially enjoyed the mood of the film. Even though it has a lot of action, there is a subtle elegance throughout the picture that gives it great style. The movie flows effortlessly from scene to scene, while at the same time creating wonderful intensity and nail-biting excitement.

The acting in the movie more than lives up to expectations. Russell Crowe is brilliant in his role as Maximus, the "general who became a slave, who became a gladiator, who defied an emperor." Crowe's intense style is perfect for the relentless determination and confidence of Maximus. Joaquin Phoenix is equally wonderful in his role as Commodus, the corrupt emperor. He plays a great villain because he is able to give Commodus depth by showing certain vulnerable or fragile sides, while at the same time instantly transforming to let the ruthless nature of his volatile character shine. It also helps that Joaquin has the classic Caesar look that works perfectly with his role.

Connie Nielsen is also very good as Lucilla. However, perhaps the two finest performances in the movie were given by a couple of acting veterans in supporting roles. Richard Harris and Oliver Reed were exceptional in what will be remembered as crowning achievements at the end of their careers. Harris was perfect as Marcus Aurelius, the aging Caesar who reflects upon his life and contemplates how the world will remember him. And Reed, especially, gave my personal favorite performance in the movie as Proximo, the trainer for the gladiators. The way he spoke about the life of a gladiator, the splendor of Rome, and the "thrill of the Coliseum" really added excitement and anticipation during the viewing of the movie.

Gladiator is filled with many memorable moments that one would need to see more than once to fully appreciate. The excitement felt for me when Rome is first shown in all its wonder and marvel is my favorite scene. But the whole movie is a rush! Hans Zimmer provides the absolute perfect score to capture the different moods in the movie. Ridley Scott sets the perfect tone with his artistic and creative directing. I would recommend it to anyone who can stomach intensity and enjoy an epic story for the ages. Next to Braveheart, this movie is the greatest of all-time!
274 out of 346 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still Amazing Twenty Years Later
PyroSikTh30 August 2021
Gladiator deserves every ounce of praise it got at the time (and debatably deserved more), and still gets to this day. It's a stirring story of revenge against the backdrop of Roman glory, with a game played off between the stoicism of Maximus against the cruel envy of Commodus over the people's adoration. It becomes as much about the back-alley politicking and public perceptions as it does the fights within the arena itself. Maximus is the pinnacle of masculinity and heroism against Commodus' despicable antagonist, an underdog against powers greater than himself. And when Maximus gets his revenge and collapses on the floor to meet his wife and son in the afterlife, it hits with the emotional weight it has earned. It's beautiful to look at, gorgeous to listen to, expertly directed and edited. I give Gladiator a resounding 9/10.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favorite movie of all time !!
zahra-michael24 March 2021
I have watched this movie well over 10 times !! It's the legend of the movie industry. There was some movies that came close to this one, but never enjoyed one more than Gladiator. As soon as the movie starts, it takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions, suspense and excitement. The story is just beautiful and the whole setting is perfect. Russell Crowe gives his absolute best and you can see that clearly. This is an example of how a movie should be, Gladiator is a masterpiece.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply amazing...
Thanos_Alfie14 March 2021
"Gladiator" is an Action - Drama movie in which we watch a man seeks revenge from the Roman emperor who set the murder of his family and tried to kill him too. He has to find a way to approach the emperor and be ready to take his revenge.

I liked this movie very much because it had an amazingly interesting plot that kept me in tense through its whole duration and the direction which was made by Ridley Scott was simply outstanding. The interpretation of Russell Crowe who played as Maximus was iconic and I believe that he did an excellent job. Some other interpretations that have to be mentioned were Joaquin Phoenix's who played as Commodus, Richard Harris' who played as Marcus Aurelius and Djimon Hounsou's who played as Juba. In conclusion, I have to say that "Gladiator" is an amazing movie and I highly recommend everyone to watch it because I am sure that you will be amazed by it.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?"
prestocito9 March 2021
I have been waiting for years to watch this movie. My dad never let me because it was rated r and I wasn't old enough. i finally turned 15 and he let me watch it. Very very good movie. If only my dad let me watch it unedited with all the violence it probably would be even better. I keep telling my dad I can handle the violence and I am not a scared little boy, and he edited out like all of the bloody fighting. And what is crazy is that we watched The Patriot (2000) and he edited like nothing. We saw almost everything from that movie. Ive heard that movie was more violent than this one. Whatever. I still loved it even though almost all of the violence was cut out from my dad. The plot was really good and the quotes are really memorable. Can't wait till im older and I leave my dads house and watch this with all the violence. But till then i will have to say this was a great movie even though it would probably be better with the violence
Ridley Scott's Ancient Revenge Fantasy is a Burner, Through and Through
drqshadow-reviews21 July 2020
A number of giant, career-making performances (plus another impressive turn in the director's chair for Ridley Scott) fuel this rich, hard-hitting saga of betrayal, grief and revenge in imperial Rome. The dueling fates of Maximus (Russell Crowe) and Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) share the front and center, twin note-perfect parts that continuously clash over the spotlight, but dozens of supporting players also deserve recognition. Richard Harris as the guilt-ridden sage, Marcus Aurelius. Oliver Reed chewing scenery as a grizzled, cynical combatant-turned-slaver. Djimon Hounsou and Ralf Moeller, comrades in arms who convey an intimate, crucial sense of kinship. As an intensely emotion-driven story, Gladiator can't function without this level of acting power. In less capable hands, it might be laughed off the screen. With Crowe, Phoenix and company in command - and, again, Scott there to expertly piece it all together amid an appropriately epic score by Hans Zimmer - we're swept off our feet.

It's an enveloping film; a thick flood of sights, sounds and moods. We marvel over the bustling Roman Colosseum, tense our muscles in the raging chaos of battle, find peace in the metaphor of golden wheat fields as an afterlife. Maximus's justified outrage becomes our own, Commodus (with his barely-contained mania) our bane, and once it's got those hooks in, the script doesn't give an inch. An exceptionally powerful production, damn near perfect in all respects.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you not entertained!?
Msbnitski11 March 2021
I love this movie. I have a few absolute favorites and this tops my charts. Russell Crowe is at his greatest in his role of Maximus and Joaquin Phoenix is the man to hate fighting for power and Rome hates him for it. I pity his sister Connie Lucilla who fights to hide her love for Maximus. I can't help but to cry at the end. I have seen it so many times but, I weep in the end, no matter. I'm so happy to be able to watch it again. I need to just break down and buy the disc and add it to my scant few copies of my likes.
8.2
ated-330347 September 2021
Performance my both Crowe and Phoenix are capturing.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Proof a perfect film is not flawless
spaulagain21 September 2020
While Gladiator is traditional (if not basic) in its overall plot, the characters and performances bring the trophy home in this film. Beautifully shot, with just the right amount of violence and emotion, it's a good technical film as well. Some may find parts of it to be a little cheesy, or some of the side characters to just be meh, those flaws are greatly overshadowed by the leads.

Crowe is fantastic of course, but Joaquin Phoenix steals the film with an incredible performance as Commodus. From his first scene, to the last, you build an intense hate for his character. His creepy nature just rubs it all in.

This was the first film I saw (when it came out) that I then knew of Phoenix's skills and potential. He's been a favorite ever since.