Gladiator (2000) Poster

(2000)

2,706 Reviews
They said you were a giant. They said you can crush a man's skull with one hand.
hitchcockthelegend6 August 2014
Ridley Scott's Gladiator is not a perfect film, I would think that the hardiest of fans, of which I'm firmly one, know this deep down. Yet just like Commodus in the film is keen to point out that he himself has other virtues that are worthy, so does Gladiator the film. Enough in fact to make it an everlasting favourite of genre fans and worthy of the Academy Award acknowledgements it received.

In narrative terms the plot and story arc is simplicity supreme, something Scott and Russell Crowe have never shied away from. There has to my knowledge as well, never been a denial of the debt Gladiator owes to Anthony Mann's 1964 Epic, The Fall of the Roman Empire. Some folk seem very irritated by this, which is strange because the makers of Gladiator were not standing up bold as brass to proclaim they were unique with their movie, what they did do was reinvigorate a stagnant genre of film for a new generational audience. And it bloody worked, the influence and interest in all things Roman or historically swashbuckling of film that followed post Gladiator's success is there for all to see.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.

So no originality in story, then. While some of the CGI is hardly "Grade A" stuff, and there's a little over - mugging acting in support ranks as some of the cast struggle to grasp the period setting required, yet the way Gladiator can make the emotionally committed feel - overrides film making irks. Crowe's Maximus is the man men want to be and the man women want to be with. As he runs through the gamut of life's pains and emotionally fortified trials and tribulations, we are with him every step of the way, urging him towards his day of revenge splattered destiny; with Crowe superb in every pained frame, winning the Academy Award for Best Actor that he should have won for The Insider the previous year.

Backing Crowe up is Joaquin Phoenix giving Commodus preening villainy and Connie Nielsen graceful as Lucilla (pitch Nielsen's turn here against that of Diane Kruger's in Troy to see the class difference for historical period playing). Oliver Reed, leaving the mortal coil but leaving behind a spicy two fold performance as Proximo the Gladiator task master. Olly superb in both body and CGI soul. Richard Harris tugging the heart strings, Derek Jacobi classy, David Hemmings also, while Djimon Hounso gives Juba - Maximus right hand man and confidante - a level of character gravitas that's inspiring.

I didn't know man could build such things.

Dialogue is literate and poetic, resplendent with iconic speeches. Action is never far away, but never at the expense of wrought human characterisations. The flaming arrows and blood letting of the Germania conflict kicks things off with pulse raising clarity, and Scott and his team never sag from this standard. The gladiator arena fights are edge of the seat inducing, the recreation for the Battle of Carthage a stunning piece of action sequence construction. And then the finale, the culmination of two men's destinies, no soft soaping from Scott and Crowe, it lands in the heart with a resounding thunderclap. A great swords and sandals movie that tipped its helmet to past masters whilst simultaneously bringing the genre alive again. Bravo Maximus Decimus Meridius. 10/10
166 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great
MR_Heraclius24 February 2020
Gladiator is a historical epic from director Ridley Scott. After being betrayed by the new Caesar, Roman general Maximus is sold into slavery as a gladiator where he rises to fame as a people's champion and finds an opportunity to exact his revenge. Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, and Connie Nielsen lead the cast and deliver strong performances. Additionally, the gladiator fights are especially dynamic and exciting, featuring several different styles of combat. The costumes and sets are also remarkably well-done, and create a vivid depiction of ancient Rome. And, Hans Zimmer's score does an excellent job at capturing the tone of the film. Thrilling and action-packed, Gladiator delivers a compelling tale. "Are you not entertained?!"
89 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breathtaking!
angelo-296 June 2000
Once again, Director Ridley Scott proves to be as professional as one can be. The recreation of ancient Rome is splendid, with all its magnificent buildings and atmosphere and he is able to show with all brightness the greatness of the Roman Empire, with its political problems and military discipline, and love and treason, of hate and jealousy, that still have a place in our world today. But the story has a glow of its own, to which all the beautiful scenery (believe me, it's awesome!!!) and great cinematography are just balancing factors. The plot is a rich one, that is as dynamic as it is present. He once again, after Blade Runner, 1492, and others helps us visit the depths of the human soul, which remains the same over all our historical and social experience. Even the fights, are displayed in such a way that all the blood is quite discrete, but still, making us feel like screaming and jumping out of our seats. I would also like to point out the performances of the cast, that is surprisingly good. We have some actors and actresses, who are not Hollywood icons, but are are greatly able to move the audience among screams and tears. All in all, we have guys like Russel Crowe, who are coming out to be part of a new and extremely promising harvest of people who are making each time more fans around the world. Well, you should see for yourself!
401 out of 484 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As a matter of fact, Maximus, I AM entertained.
mahmus11 October 2020
Gladiator is the best bread and circus. A moving and very entertaining action epic with Russel Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix at the top of their game.

I absolutely love Joaquin Phoenix in this movie. He's the kind of villain you love to hate. So pathetic and childish. So ruthless and creepy. Just right amount of cartoonish. I wanted to punch him in the face.

It can be corny and it drags a bit during the escape plan part of the plot, but it has enough emotion and brutal violence to keep the audience entertained, and that's what a good gladiator match should be.
13 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A nail biting, intense modern epic!
gregatory3 May 2000
Most films require that the viewer identifies with the character to truly be engrossed with the film. If you can't feel something for the character, than the audience is lost.

Luckily, in Ridley Scott's case, Russel Crowe is so captivating and convincing as a general loved by his troops and as a slave loved by the people that the movie really works. Possibly one of the greatest actors today, Crowe carries this epic film on his very capable shoulders.

Not to say that he is the only reason this works. The supporting cast, most notably Connie Neilsen, buoy the film to new perspectives.

Jacquin Phoenix definitely captures the egotisitcal persona he should display, stealing every scene he's in. Phoenix will surely be put on the map with Gladiator.

But the real shining star in this film are the incredible action sequences which jolt the viewer right in with the opening sequences, as Maximus' true worth to the Roman Empire is displayed. Scott's camera work within these completed sequences takes a modern twist that really works for the gruesome scenes.

Crowe will now get the respect he deserves for this collosal performance. Gladiator makes the most of its 2 and a half hours, marking a triumphant comeback for the long forgotten epics of the classic days of film. ALL HAIL MAXIMUS!
397 out of 495 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why don't they make films like this anymore
allicouldbe18 February 2019
Seriously the best fantasy film of the modern area with great acting and emotional rollercoastering all the way through. The soundtrack by Zimmer really propels this film
61 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Edge of Your Seat Fun!
shoktart19 February 2001
Great Story! Great Writing! Great Acting! Great Directing! Great Score! This movie has it all. I especially enjoyed the mood of the film. Even though it has a lot of action, there is a subtle elegance throughout the picture that gives it great style. The movie flows effortlessly from scene to scene, while at the same time creating wonderful intensity and nail-biting excitement.

The acting in the movie more than lives up to expectations. Russell Crowe is brilliant in his role as Maximus, the "general who became a slave, who became a gladiator, who defied an emperor." Crowe's intense style is perfect for the relentless determination and confidence of Maximus. Joaquin Phoenix is equally wonderful in his role as Commodus, the corrupt emperor. He plays a great villain because he is able to give Commodus depth by showing certain vulnerable or fragile sides, while at the same time instantly transforming to let the ruthless nature of his volatile character shine. It also helps that Joaquin has the classic Caesar look that works perfectly with his role.

Connie Nielsen is also very good as Lucilla. However, perhaps the two finest performances in the movie were given by a couple of acting veterans in supporting roles. Richard Harris and Oliver Reed were exceptional in what will be remembered as crowning achievements at the end of their careers. Harris was perfect as Marcus Aurelius, the aging Caesar who reflects upon his life and contemplates how the world will remember him. And Reed, especially, gave my personal favorite performance in the movie as Proximo, the trainer for the gladiators. The way he spoke about the life of a gladiator, the splendor of Rome, and the "thrill of the Coliseum" really added excitement and anticipation during the viewing of the movie.

Gladiator is filled with many memorable moments that one would need to see more than once to fully appreciate. The excitement felt for me when Rome is first shown in all its wonder and marvel is my favorite scene. But the whole movie is a rush! Hans Zimmer provides the absolute perfect score to capture the different moods in the movie. Ridley Scott sets the perfect tone with his artistic and creative directing. I would recommend it to anyone who can stomach intensity and enjoy an epic story for the ages. Next to Braveheart, this movie is the greatest of all-time!
273 out of 346 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't be missed!
Russell_12 September 2005
"Gladiator" definitely is a classic film as it combines a simple, but moving, story with beautiful scenery, filming, direction and score – it is truly a "complete" movie.

I am mostly compelled with the beautiful script which in a way reminds me of poetry, though it is still everyday language. I love the acting portrayed by the late Oliver Reed and also Richard Harris. Russell Crowe, Djimon Housou and Joaquin Phoenix are also superb and the parts suit them perfectly. There are also a number of less "popular" artists who also deserve a big "bravo". Amongst them I have to mention ex-Mr Universe Ralph Moeller who is mostly used as the comic relief of the movie. In Gladiator we can also the beautiful and popular Maltese TV Star and actress Ruth Frendo, who although has a small part, she is totally brilliant and outstanding.

Actually I got to IMDb while I was looking for her name on the internet, in fact on IMDb she has some very stunning photos. I was lucky to meet Ruth Frendo whilst she was filming in another Maltese production. Ruth Frendo is not only a gorgeous and talented actress but she is also amazingly intelligent and very down-to-earth. We will definitely be seeing more of her work in the future...

The scenery used for "Gladiator" is brilliant – and the opening battle scene is definitely one of my top favorite scenes. The modern camera technique contrasts sharply to the brutality of the gladiators actions and blood shed during the movie; and I love the light contrasts thanks to the lenses which most definitely have been used to create a surreal feel to the entire movie.

"Gladiator" deserves all the awards and great reviews it has received, and for those of you who still haven't gone and watched it – I can assure you that it will be well worth your time and money. So go on and rent it now!
447 out of 580 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Both Old-Fashioned And Modern, Gladiator Is An Intoxicating Blend Of Action Spectacle and Intimate Drama
jaredpahl9 July 2017
Gladiator, 2000's Best Picture winner, was undoubtedly one of the biggest successes of the decade. It made tons of box-office cash, nearly swept the Oscars, and revitalized the sword-and-sandals genre for years to come. Does the movie warrant the massive success it received? For the most part, yes. Ridley Scott's Roman blockbuster doesn't have quite the overwhelming emotion of another Oscar-winning epic, Braveheart, but as a brawny action spectacle, Gladiator soars. With a strong story, a profound sense of character, and action and special effects that are suitably exciting, Gladiator is a special kind of sword-and-sandals picture; One with a true dramatic core.

Like the great epics of Hollywood's past, Gladiator is simple in its story. Russell Crowe stars as the Roman General, Maximus, whose life is thrown into chaos after the jealous Emperor Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) arranges for his execution. Maximus is sold into slavery where he meets Proximo, a former gladiator played by Oliver Reed who shepherds him through life as a gladiator as Commodus scrambles to stop Maximus' influence among the people.

The story of Gladiator is a rock-solid tale of revenge, bolstered by well written characters, some sly political subtext, and a couple of stellar performances from Crowe and Phoenix. The two principle characters, Maximus and Commodus, are what separates Gladiator from the slew of sword-and-sandals epics that came after it. They are simply but elegantly written as characters; Maximus, a man singularly driven by a need to return to his family, Commodus, a confused young man singularly driven by a need to be loved. However, it is the performances from Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix that really elevate this material. Phoenix gives a brilliant portrait of an emotionally frustrated young man. He is completely unpredictable, but he never becomes campy. He is a real person with real problems, and there is an underlying sadness to his character that makes him so much more interesting than your typical stock villain. As for Crowe, his performance is all about physical presence. Apart from a few big emotional scenes, Crowe's performance is one of quiet masculine stoicism. He adds a remarkable gravitas to this character that all but makes the movie. You feel for him, you relate to him, you root for him, and you become inspired by him. It is a perfect heroic performance.

The character stuff in Gladiator really works. Coming from a genre that made do with archetypal characters doing obligatory British accents for years, it is nothing short of a revelation that Gladiator is such a fulfilling dramatic experience. Here are characters you actually care about and not simply placeholders to string up the plot in between action scenes.

When it comes to general filmmaking, Gladiator is rarely pedestrian and often astounding. Apart from some strange quirks in the filmmaking like the seemingly digitized zooms or the moments when the frame rate seems to cause a weird flicker effect, Gladiator is a deep, rich, and meticulously detailed visual experience. Hollywood production values don't get much higher than this. The technical departments are tops in terms of production design and costuming. The movie looks expensive, but there is something else in Gladiator's visual style that keeps your eyes glued to the screen. The look of the film, with its mix of traditional, large- scale sets and CG enhancements, is almost dreamlike. The environments of Ridley Scott's version of ancient Rome, including a painstakingly crafted digital recreation of the famous Colosseum, seem untethered to any kind of physical reality. It's as if what Scott has created is an environment that reflects the feeling of Ancient Rome rather than the reality of it. Just as with the deep characters and eloquent script, there's a modern feeling to Ridley Scott's filmmaking in Gladiator. The reliance on CGI is sometimes overdone, but in conjunction with the costumes, sets, and impressively grandiose score from Hans Zimmer, it adds to the intoxicating atmosphere of Ridley Scott's world.

The main attraction of Gladiator is its scenes of gladiatorial combat, and on that front, Ridley Scott aptly gets the job done. There are a few moments when Scott falls back on to standard sword clashing and disorientating shaky cam, but for the most part, the action scenes are exciting, bloody, and imaginatively staged. The best action scenes are the opening Barbarian battle and a fantastic fight scene between Maximus, a veteran gladiator, and a Colosseum full of bloodthirsty tigers. In those scenes, Scott's emphasis on close-up, sweaty, brutal action is totally effective. I felt the cold of the forest mud, the heat of the flaming trees, the sharpness of the swords, and the dusty claustrophobia of the Arena. The action of Gladiator is visceral and bloody, and there is plenty of it. Those hungry for bloodsport will find more than enough manly derring-do to satiate their red-blooded desire.

For all its dramatic depth, I can't say I came out of Gladiator heavily affected by feeling. This is still, at its core, a visceral experience, but the small character moments and the textured performances are miraculously riveting. I was intrigued by every second of Gladiator. The action scenes are thrilling, the dramatic scenes are mesmerizing, and the $103 million budget is all up there on the screen in every frame. Ridley Scott's direction is superlative, especially in the third act, as the story, action, and emotions reach a fever pitch. The last few scenes, including the climactic final showdown and the closing 'Elysium' scene, exhibit a crescendo of the kind of daring artistry that permeates the film's best sections. Gladiator is a meaty Hollywood epic of the best kind. It's visually sumptuous and supremely thrilling, but there is a beating heart within this beast. Sure there are a couple of bumps along the way, but with Crowe as the sturdy hero and a simple story of returning home, Gladiator stays with you long after the credits roll.

29 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Are you entertained? Yes sir yes I am
nathanmanson6 December 2020
How good is Russell Crowe though, easily one of my favourite actors. Joaquin Phoenix play the role of a little weasel very well. Absolute classic of a film.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Today I saw a movie become more powerful . . .
wideawakedreamer4 June 2000
The movie is the story of Maximus (Crowe), a general who leads the Roman army to victory over Germania in the beginning of the movie. The dying emperor of Rome, Marcus Aurelius, is watching this battle.

The emperor's son, Commodus, then arrives with his sister Lucilla, and it is discovered that Commodus fully expects to be announced the new emperor of Rome in a few days. Aurelius, however, has other plans--he wants to make Maximus emperor, and requests that of the general, who wants nothing more than to go home to his family.

I went into this movie having just watched Ben-Hur in my film studies class and having watched an episode of Xena only a couple of weeks earlier that featured the story of Marc Anthony and Cleopatra. So you could say I was in the perfect mindset to watch a "sword-and-sandal" movie. I wasn't sure what to expect, having somehow avoided all the hype that accompanied this movie. But I was not disappointed.

Gladiator features some wonderful cinematography by John Mathieson. The battle scenes are very graphic. (This movie is not for the squeamish, that's for sure.) There were some scenes in particular that really struck me, such as when Crowe appears to be floating over the ground very fast. The use of color and color tones added a great deal to the mood of the movie. Excellent.

The script was being written and re-written as the filming was going on, yet it doesn't show that the actors had no idea how the movie was going to end when they began filming. The acting is terrific. Russell Crowe is wonderfully cast as Maximus. Many reviewers agree that he is now officially a star. Joaquin Phoenix also proves his mettle as the emotionally troubled Commodus, whose behavior and emotion toward his sister could give anyone the creeps. Connie Nielsen makes you believe that, as Lucilla, she really is torn between natural loyalty to her brother and doing what she knows is right. Oliver Reed, in his last performance, is memorable in his role of Proximo, the former gladiator who is the owner of Maximus and brings him to Rome. In short, the actors were brilliant in their roles, not over-acting, but giving subtle, strong performances.

The script itself is very good. Although some elements are a little hard to believe--the fact that no one recognizes Maximus when he's a slave?--this film calls for a willing suspension of disbelief, which one would happily comply with. (It's really no fun to nitpick such a movie.)

It's true that this movie does pretty much follow the Braveheart formula. However, this movie includes some elements, such as the cinematography and the incredibly graphic battle scenes (one reviewer likened it to Saving Private Ryan, "only better"), that are spectacular in itself. Overall, a great movie that I highly recommend.
252 out of 337 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cecil B DeMille eat your heart out
paulyb2 May 2000
The epic blockbuster returns with the 21st Century's answer to Cecil B DeMille, Ridley Scott and his dramatic tale of courage and revenge, GLADIATOR - "the general who became a slave, the slave who became a gladiator, the gladiator who defied an emperor".

Once a great roman General, and as good as adopted son of Marcus Aurelius Caesar (Harris), Maximus (Crowe) is forced into exile by Commodus (Phoenix), heir to the throne, after the death of Marcus. Saved from death by slavers, he is purchased for use as a gladiator by Proximo (Reed) and ends up in the arena of all arena's, the Colloseum, where he proves unbeatable under his guise as "The Spaniard".

And with a budget of over $100m, Scott certainly delivers the goods. GLADIATOR transcends the notion of 'blockbuster' that we have become accustomed to in the age of electronic and special effects wizardry and instead offers a good old fashioned action film along the lines of Spartacus and and Ben Hur. Not only are we drawn into an archetypal story that contains all the classic elements a filmgoer could dream of (love, loss, courage, despair, good triumphing over evil etc etc) - also on offer is a visual feast of cinematic painting after painting - a rich tapestry of images that are breathtaking and ultimately visually satisfying. From the plains of Germania, to the desert stronghold of Zuchobar, and finally to great Rome herself, John Mathiesion, the cinematographer is to be commended highly for his general inventiveness and ability to capture so much on film. The opening battle scene is superb as a cast of thousands erupt across the screen and provide an indication that we are about to see a film that pays incredible attention to detail throughout its entirety. In every way, Scott has created a world for us that scuttles films of similar epic undertakings (and budgets!) and sends them to their dooms at the bottom of the murky depths of film history where they belong.

The cast is generally very strong. Crowe proves himself very suitable to the task with a great emotional range and depth of character. His accent ocassionally bugged me (as did the mish mash of accents on offer - but that is I guess a legacy of 'internationally casted films'), but this aside, he was well and truly up to the task. Phoenix is also excellent as the disturbed Commodus, as is Nielson as Lucilla, the daughter of Marcus who "should have been a son" and finds herself torn between loyalty to her brother and doing what is 'right'. The old guard thesps of Harris, Reed and Jacobi (Grachus) are uniformly strong as supporting characters, and Spencer Treat Clark (Lucius) does a fine job as the young heir to the throne.

Add to this great cast excellent editing and post production work, and an intricate soundscape (including a magnificent Hans Zimmer score), and you have a film that, despite its length, was highly palatable and had me in there from beginning to end. A must see.
181 out of 243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Greatest Movies I have Ever Seen
comingaround19 August 2000
This is wonderful storytelling. The opening Battle Scene simply mesmerizes, showing the brutal nature of combat for Roman conquests. I went back to see the film again. The first time I didn't hear anything Crowe said before the battle. I was just too visually caught-up. The second time I listened very closely and caught the wise yet succinct line from Maximus "what we do in life... echoes in eternity." Awesome.

A simple man v. an emperor. I just loved the resilience Maximus showed throughout the movie. I find in most movies, there is an irritatingly slow process where the character has to "find himself," not so with Gladiator. Maximus does what is needed.

I liked how there were only two or three issues within this film. One was the afterlife. Aspects of the afterlife are opened, but not overdone. Love of family is given sizable focus. I liked the theme of love of country that we see as well, although it may not be justly deserved, it is never questioned.

The visual effects were amazing. It actually had me wanting to believe that's the way Rome actually looked in all it's glory. The battle of Carthage reenactment was really great.

The ending is just hypnotic. Intentionally or unintentionally it was simply emotional. The music is wonderfully beautiful as if Maximus' family are telling him...you have arrived.

Bottom line: magnificent. Visually and emotionally satisfying.
327 out of 465 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the Greatest Movies Ever
copperccso7 September 2002
I love history, and to me, Gladiator is a masterpiece. It is the most accurate picture of the Roman Empire Hollywood has ever put out. People declare Spartacus a masterpiece, but Gladiator far outdoes Spartacus in quality. The costuming, the acting, the screenplay, the scenery, and the fighting styles made me think that I had traveled back to 180 A.D. Russell Crowe is a true Hollywood tough guy, and he is superb in this movie. Joaquin Phoenix is outstanding as a villain, one of the best in movie history. He played his character as if it were a psychologist's dream case. Connie Nielsen plays one of the strongest female characters that I have ever seen. The choreographer of the action sequences was brilliant. Ridley Scott did an outstanding job in recreating the Empire, including the multitude of ethnic groups within the Empire and accurately depicting everyday life. If you're looking for insight into what the Roman Empire was like, this is a perfect depiction.
272 out of 386 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing movie
marianstelian29 December 2020
This movie is amazing, every soul should see this, Russell Crowe deserved the Oscar
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If I Could Give This Movie 11/10, It Would Be A 12!
BenNicholson1238 November 2005
Gladiator! A thrilling tale of a Roman general who must battle against all thinkable odds to avenge the death of his family and restore justice to the empire. The plot is simple, legendary general Maximus Decimus Meridius, after many victorious campaigns and battles wants to return to his peaceful home in Spain, However the kind, fair and dying Emperor Marcus Aurelius wishes to bestow his title on him over his cruel son, Commodus. Commodus is understandably annoyed and kills his father calming the title of Emperor. Maximus is sentenced to death along with the rest of his family back at his home in Spain. Maximus escapes but is unable to save his wife and son. His loss of will to live makes him an east target for slavers and he is soon sold as a gladiator. He fights his way into the coliseum in Rome were he wins over the crowd and uses his celebrity status to defy the Emperor, to whom he swears his vengeance for the death of his family, after many battles and political backstabbing he gets his chance to fight the Emperor in the Arena.

This is just such an amazing film, it captures every emotion possible in only the way an expert director can achieve, we can go on for whole scenes without the need for speaking, everything is told through the genuine body language and expressions. And when there is conversing we get such emotion and wonderfully powerful quotes – "What we do in life, echoes in eternity" Wow.

The opening scene is spellbinding, showing the true gore of battle, the fight scenes are marvellously realistic, discarding the popular "pretty" sword fighting for brutal aggressive force. The audience in the arena express every emotion, surprise, anger, and enjoyment. The cast is brilliantly chosen; we can really see Russell Crowe as a gladiator, in Commodus, Joaquin Phoenix gives us a man we can really hate, Connie Nielson shows real emotion and passion in the role of Lucilla. So apart from the spellbinding acting, scarily realistic fight scenes and the amazing script, what else can we look for? The music is just stunning, its exactly what we need brought in at exactly the right time, truly wonderful directing. And then we have the stunning special effects, we can really visualise the greatness that is Rome, the fight scenes really make you believe. Some critics have condemned the lack of historical fact, for instance an emperor would never fight a gladiator, and these comments cannot be denied, its true.

But I think we can forgive them that one fault for such an amazing movie. Without hesitation I give this movie a truly deserved 10/10!
91 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Throwback To The Epics Of The '60s
ccthemovieman-11 November 2006
An intense Roman epic, a la "Ben-Hur" or "Spartacus," it was nice to see something like this made again. It had been since the 1960s that we had seen a 3-hour extravaganza like this.

Like Ben-Hur, this is a story of a successful man who loses everything thanks to an evil man, and then has to fight his way back up to seek revenge on that man and to obtain his freedom back. It's a tried-and-true formula. This movie doesn't go to excess on the violence as some of the other more recent epic films did, such as "Braveheart" or "The Patriot."

The acting is excellent, beginning with Russell Crowe, who has established himself as one of the best actors of today. Joaquin Phoenix also put himself "on the map" as an actor with his portrayal of the evil "Commodus." He's so annoying you want to slap that sucker, which means he's doing a good job acting. Kudos to the rest of the cast, too.

Too bad they don't make more of these type of films, as they did in the 1950s and 1960s.
78 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bazooka
peresendi17 December 2020
Bazooka-flavored film. Sit back and watch this movie excitedly. I really love it, I'm a bazooka commander.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most perfect movie ever made
ravenclaw_girlrules11 December 2020
Rewatched this movie today. I am convinced it is the most perfect movie ever made. It has a strong female character, positive and realistic minority rep (the Roman Empire extended into Africa and I think lots of people forget that), and a compelling revenge plot. Every line moves the plot forward and is memorable. The music is gorgeous. The acting is impeccable. The visuals are absolutely stunning - especially the rose petals raining down as the emperor is ascending on the platform. The visual of the emperor dead in the colosseum while the crowd lifts Maximus away. The whole concept of Elysium makes me cry every time. The ending couldn't have wrapped everything up better.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Special effects and powerful acting make Gladiator an epic.
moondoggy886 March 2002
I borrowed this movie on DVD, but I wish I had seen it in the theater for it would have been a lot more fun and powerful there. Despite this, Gladiator is one of the most powerful and moving films I've ever seen. The plot goes so smooth together, as well as the acting and the terrific musical score. Director Ridley Scott puts all effort into making this film an epic, and he does just that. I'd have to say that anyone who likes Ridley Scott (I sure do) should see this. It is a lot like Ridley's other movies (Black Hawk Down was also amazing). If you can stand a little bit--well, ok a LOT of blood and gore, then you should see this. Russell Crowe shows an excellent performance like no other. I don't think there's one bad movie that Ridley Scott has made or that Russell Crowe has acted in. The fact that the brutal battles involving innocent slaves in this film actually happened in real life centuries ago makes it even more interesting and powerful. Emperor Commodus is a truely evil and life-like villian who shows a lot of his wits in attempts to get his revenge against Maximus.

Ridley Scott went to many different locations to shoot this film to make it real, and he does. The film is set in Rome, and it looks just like it. You feel as if you are there in the crowd, hearing them cheer and cheer to see the death. To some of you, this may sound a little barbaric, and believe me the film is VERY barbaric and brutual, however it teaches a very strong lesson of what happens when an economy turns as violent as Rome was. Ridley Scott goes to many lengths to make this movie real, because even though the characters are fictitious, all of this really did happen. Innocent people had to go through brutual fighting while thousands of people cheered for either their death or the enemy's death. If you were an inexperienced fighter, chances are you would get killed. But the strange thing is that Rome LOVED this. People came from all over to see these fights and to see the blood that was shed, that is why you can't blame the characters in this film for being so forlorn and saddened the whole time. The film itself is very dark. The theme is dark and the ending is dark. From beginning to end there is excessive violence (for those action movie-goers, this is a movie for you). But if the violence is concerning you, don't let it. The special effects make the movie great, but it's the acting and storyline that make it spectacular. HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED for anyone who wants a good time. Definitely makes you think. ***** out of *****.
155 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a tragedy but a good one
kakarlafardeen17 January 2021
I liked each and everything the music,action,visual effects,crew members and last not the least,the costume.You must be wondering after liking everything,how can you give a 9/10.So,the reason behind it was "the tragedy",I don't like tragedy movies.At starting,I never knew that gladiator was a tragedy story,but still a deserved masterpiece.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is a legend
casualobjection2 January 2021
One of the masterpieces of Riddley Scott. Joaquin Phoenix played it so well that I have to bow before him. Russel Crowe got an oscar. So i dont have to describe
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breathtaking !
nixterboy12 December 2020
Best movie i ever watched in my whole life.

Go and see the movie now, if you never watched it before.It is a must see, if you will not cry at the end, then i don't know what to say.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Gladiator" brought a poetic vision in a new and very cinematically richly way...
Nazi_Fighter_David25 October 2005
When you go to the ruins of Rome now, you get really no sense of the scale and the grandeur of what that forum would have been… It's hard to get it anywhere except from some of the great epic films of the past like "Quo Vadis," "Ben-Hur," "Demetrius and the Gladiators," "Barabbas," and "The Fall of the Roman Empire."

Scott's "Gladiator" is build around a mythic character, a man trying to find his way home... It is around someone finding inner strength in a tough time… Maximus is somebody who doesn't want to be a soldier… We realize this is a man who is pursuing the ultimate which is transcending death and finding love after death which completely transforms your reaction to the man, a man who is very, very strong but very, very loving…

The plot, familiar from Anthony Mann's " Fall of the Roman Empire," had Crowe as Maximus, the proud well-loved Roman general in the army of Emperor Marcus Aurelius (Richard Harris). Maximus whose motto is 'Strength and Honor' is like a son to Aurelius, a statement that left Aurelius' own son, Commodus perturbed...

Disappointed by the news that his father privately decides to name Maximus his successor, and being a young ambitious son lusting for power, he murders his father, and orders a strike against the general... One of the best scenes of the motion picture is where Commodus is told by his father that he is not going to be the emperor… Joaquin Phoenix is easy to hate in a frightening and vile character...

Ridley Scott creates a lot of beautiful scenes between the characters… He did some fantastic work in all of those wonderful scenes in the film… But there's another moment between the emperor and his daughter Lucilla (the Danish beauty Connie Nielsen) that I loved very much… Harris says, "Let's not speak of politics. Let us pretend that you are a loving daughter and I'm a good father. " They walk for a few seconds and Lucilla says, "This is a pleasant fiction." I felt this short scene so sophisticated… It seemed to me wonderfully insightful, simple in terms of amount of words, but complex in terms of understanding this strange relationship…

One of the most successful bits of casting was Oliver Reed… He's a harsh and rough businessman who makes his living off the death machine and yet, inside, there was some kind of ethical person that would come out at the right moment…

Ridley Scott's epic film does not romanticize a democratic Golden Age of Rome but a decaying, blood thirsty empire on the edge of its fall... Through its beautiful music, through Russell's performance and through Ridley's soulfulness, "Gladiator" brought a poetic vision in a new and very cinematically richly way that really gave the audience something different, so emotional and so intimate
105 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is Crowe the 'next action hero?'
cjswan16 May 2000
Germania, 150 AD, the setting of Gladiator's opening scene. Far from the blazing sun and dazzlingly beauty of ancient Rome, Ridley Scott shoots the opening sequence in a subdued light. The Roman legions are nonetheless impeccably turned out as they face the comparatively disorganised rabble that inhabits this miserable environment. Caesar's soldiers seem somewhat misplaced here. However, Russell Crowe is at home in this environment of knee-deep mud and merciless snow. He commands the screen with all the virtues of his motto: ‘Strength and Honour.'

The plot, with its hero-to-zero-to-hero nature, runs through Gladiator's every vein. As General Maximus, Russell Crowe is welcomed by Marcus Aurelius Caesar (Richard Harris) to take the Roman throne as Emperor of a new Republic. All does not run smoothly however as mislead heir to the throne Commodus (Phoenix) takes over Rome with ill-gotten domination, having dispatched his own Father. Maximus is cast out to find his family murdered and his Spanish farm burnt to the ground. Taken in as a slave by Proximo (Reed), Maximus becomes a Gladiator and starts his journey to the Coliseum and revenge against Commodus.

Scott's cast is powerful and he is not left wanting as powerful performances are delivered by all. Due to his untimely mid-production death, Oliver Reed is created in some scenes by the grace of computer graphics, which are as convincing as they come; sometimes making it difficult to differentiate between Reed himself and his computerised counterpart.

It is, however, the supporting actors who create many of Gladiator's best dialogue-based scenes. In an accomplished demonstration of her acting ability as Lucilla, Connie Nielsen saves the occasional scene as Joaquim Phoenix shows us that he can ‘do evil', but is less convincing when it comes to the more emotional qualities of his role.

As a vehicle for the plot, Scott's beautifully created and highly symbolic (there is an image of fire in nearly every shot of the film) dialogue scenes are of a certain merit with digitally created backgrounds that encompass the meticulous nature of the Roman Empire. However, dialogue alone does not an epic movie make, and it is in the film's spectacular action sequences that Gladiator come into its own. Shot on location in Malta, Scott's first arena was built by an army of locals and commanded some 5000 extras (a large majority of whom were of a cardboard variety). All of this pales in comparison as we arrive in a digitally created Rome which makes some scenes in Ben Hur some somewhat small scale. The Coliseum is immense, both inside and out, and the computerised provides the electric atmosphere in which Crowe and his feline companions (four sizeable, and real, Bengal tigers) perform.

The battle sequences are perfectly choreographed and shot as iconic masks and typically Roman chariots are abundant in their power and imagery. As swords clash and heads roll, Ridley Scott is triumphant in the application of special effects technology and his directorial prowess.

Always one to embrace technology, Scott's views over Rome's landscape are reminiscent of the beautifully created cityscape of Blade Runner. This is a film that fears so little and boasts so much, even a lady archer being sliced clean in half by a spiked chariot wheel!

All those involved with Gladiator should be delighted and confident with their creation, for indeed this is a convincing and enthralling display with epic proportions to take the wind from James Cameron's titanic sails.
100 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.