Bad Boys II (2003) Poster

(2003)

Bad Boys is Bad Ass (Retort to "bad is the right word for title")
braindog22 February 2005
I think us movie buffs sometimes forget that not all movies are made to have some sort of under lying message that can or will change our lives. That's why it pains me to see some users give this film a bad review because "the dialog is weak" or "the scenery isn't vibrant" or something along those lines. This is not a stab or an insult to you, but what I'm saying is; sometimes movies are made with one intended purpose... ENTERTAINMENT! I could careless if this film had poor actors, poor script, poor lighting, that doesn't matter when you watch an action film. This movie delivers your monies worth too, in my opinion Will Smith and Martin Larwence make such a great team that part of the fun is just watching these two get into it from time to time. And with Michael Bay directing, you know you're going to get some good action scenes. Let's face it, Bad Boys II has one of the best car chase scenes ion recent history, it dominates the dismal over played chase in Matrix Reloaded which was the other big summer sequel of that year. I think all that needs to be said here in a retort is the movie is an action movie ans needs to be looked at as an action movie. To hell with the elements that the Academy looks at, appreciate the film for all the stuff that blows up and the laughs the cast can bring you to.
123 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What do you expect?!?!?!!!!
Jester6920 July 2003
I hate reading these reviews putting this movie down. This movie kicked ass plain and simple. It's a fun movie to watch and enjoy!!! Sure, there's not much of a plot but if you wanted that why would you go to see this film?? The only reason to see this film is because you want 2 1/2 hours of entertainment!!! That's what this is, pure fun.
144 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great summer action flick
swipht123 July 2003
This movie was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. The action sequences were really well done, and there was tons of them. It was a lot more violent than the first one as I noticed. I thought the scene with all the cadavers was really unnecessary. It was kind of gross. And the chemistry between Will Smith and Martin Lawrence is great. The arguments really reflect from the first one. I was really enjoying the tense scenes where the cars were flying off the truck. A great movie. 8 out of 10.
72 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ten times the action, total hardcore
pete-13119 July 2003
Well after that blunder of a motion picture called "Pearl Harbour" Micheal Bay bounces back with a better movie here. To his credit though in the few short films he has made so far none of them have bombed. This movie was 10x the action definately, and was actually way funnier than first one. Will Smith was definately more built, much tougher and more in charge, Martin Lawrence stole the show with his silly remarks every 5 seconds but I loved it.

The car chase scene on the highway was way better than the Matrix Reloaded's car chase scene, it puts that one to shame. But this highway chase scene will definately rank up there with T3's. Some parts in this movie were a bit overdone such as the morgue scene, won't get into it but I'll leave it at that, and the rats...that's it! :)

If you are looking for a solid type performance from Will Smith to be a good actor don't bother, this movie was all about pure action, and mindless fun, if that's what you want then go see it, if not don't waste your 2 hours and 40 minutes seeing it. Funny thing is, it didn't feel that long.

Can't wait to see this out on DVD in superbit. A great sequel.
31 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The coolest action/comedy movie
grumpyass21 July 2003
I just got back from seeing Bad Boys 2 and it was the coolest move ever. It had so much action in it topped off with comedy. For a 2 and 1/2 hour movie it didn't seem that long at all. I loved that it didn't have a whole lot CGI effects in it. I liked how they actually destroyed the cars and how they really blew up that mansion, no fake model stuff. This was just as cool as the first movie was but a little bit better and cooler. I don't know how the critics in different areas rated the movie but the ones in my area only gave it 1 and a half stars. I think it deserves at lease 3 and a half to 4 stars. I can't what for this movie to hit DVD I be there to get it definitely the first day it hits shelves. If you haven't go and see this BAD movie.
45 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loads of fun ---7/10
Sfpsycho41521 July 2003
This was a really fun movie to watch. It has some intense action sequences. Actually, a lot of intense action sequences. The shooting never stops and the explosions keep on coming. Martin Lawrence and Will Smith are hysterical, again. And Joe Pantoliano makes every movie better. The two funniest scenes are when Burnett and Lowery are scaring the hell out of Burnett's daughter's date and after the chase scene with the dead bodies and Captain Howard goes off on the two. Absolutely hilarious! My only gripe is that it seemed that the writers were running low on material and resorted to gross-out humor like rats having sex and corpses losing their heads. Not funny. Otherwise it was very funny, due to the amazing chemistry between the two leads. I still prefer the original Bad Boys, but this is still a great time at the movies. 7/10
28 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you hate Michael Bay, why did you see this?
neo_jenner21 July 2003
I've never understood this bizarre hatred of Michael Bay that so many so called film ethusiests have. I mean, what is it about HIM that struck a coard with so many? People don't bash Simon West,Martin Campbell, Tony Scott, or Dominic Sena the way the bring the hammer down on Bay. It's not like he was the first guy who was really good at style over substance. I for one am gonna defend the guy here. And no, i'm not some idiot teenager who thinks Charlie's Angels is the best movie ever made. I am an avid film watcher. I probably see close to 100 movies a year IN theaters. Big movies and small alike. I appreciate any genre of film if it's done well. But obviously my first love is, and always will be, action. And I think Michael Bay is one of the best action directors around. As good as James Cameron, John Woo, Ridley Scott, John McTerninan, John Frankenhiemer, and any other guy named John.

Is Bad Boys II too exrtavigant? Too explosive? Too indulgent? It's not your money, why should you care? BB2 is action filmaking in it's purest, most volitile form. I can't remember seeing an action movie with this much, well, ACTION in it. This thing drills you like a jackhammer in a way that The Rock could only dream of. It comes close to the "Enough Already" level of action as in Armageddon, but holds off with all the humor brought by the stars. Was there one too many car chases? Yeah, probably, but I'm not complaining. Two and a half hours looks just fine too me. Personally, I like my action movies to exhaust me.

And what action it was. The car transport chase is easily better than anything in the Matrix Reloaded and even T3. Not only that, but it's great to see full blown R rated action in all its bloody glory again. Ahh, just like the good old days, when men were men, and action movies were all rated R.

Look, if you're all about hating Bay, and blaming him for all of scociety's ills, as well as acusing him of being the antichrist - then what in god's name are you doing watching this movie? It's been pretty well established since The Rock, and especially Armageddon, that you don't like the guy - so why do you keep going to see these movies if you know you're going to hate them? Do the rest of us a favor, get off your high horse and drop the condescending art house jerk act, it's as old as the first Bad Boys, but not as enjoyable.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little overdone but still a good watch
iwatcheverything17 December 2003
This movie was very entertaining. It had me wanting to watch all the way until the end. It was about 30 minutes too long I'm afraid though. There were many times that I thought there were scenes that could have been cut and still made this movie funny and with great action. Some of the parts were a little overacted as well. All in all I thought this was a good film and I will watch it over and over again for a few scenes. It does have some horrible language in this movie so do not let you kids see it unless you don't care if they repeat what they see. Check the movie out if you are of age. It's a good film.
31 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
so totally cool!!!!
dickie_jonus_tsr11 August 2005
Bad Boys 2... what can one say about it? well, put it this way, it's much much better than the first and has one of the best car chases in history.

Will Smith and martin Lawrence are two cops have a lot in common, especially their attitude, are sent to investigate the a Cuban drug smuggler who smuggles drugs in America. What a wild, surprising and funny time they have! I know the storyline doesn't sound very convincing, but, this movie is not 'okay' as most people put... it's the action movie of the year! The storyline is, as I said, probably not very convincing and that lots of movie have been made like that and you think that you've seen every on of them...

But if you watch this movie, you'll be really, really surprised. The director, Michael Bay, is one of my favorites and this movie is one of his action masterpieces.

Rating: 7/10
41 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Action Packed Movie That'll Have You Laughing!!!
uNdAdAiNfLuEnCe27 July 2003
Well, if you need action or comedy, this is the movie for you. It was a perfect mix with Big Willy and Martin Lawrence.

It was a bit long. It felt like I watched 2 movies, but that's not a bad thing. The action was fast, but the realism of the movie was not believable. Way too many close calls, the way action movies usually are.

The comedy gets an A+ in my book. So far, this is the funniest movie I've seen of the year. There was A LOT of comedy, note that I stress the words, "a lot." I was laughing from start to finish. Very few lines were weak, but there not noticeable.

Overall, this is the perfect film if you want to sit back, watch some people die, and laugh your ass off. You didn't need to see the first one to understand the story, so don't worry. But I do advise you, it was a very gory movie. They showed a lot of disgusting parts, and I'm not talking about sex, I'm talking about gore.

9.1/10

-Aren~
43 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Taste, Needless Violence & Pompous Directing
Tompson27 September 2004
Bad Boys II is waste of money in all senses of the expression. Wasting money from production point of view for something as stupid as BB II is just incredible. The movie is full of spinning camera angles in about 97,6% of the time. C'mon Mr. Bay, the effect of the circling camera works about once in a 90 min movie if well placed. It is not cool at all when used three times (in slow motion) for every 90 seconds all the way.

The dialogue -- well, what dialogue?? Does anyone use the word starting with 'mother' in every single sentence in real life? Mr. Smith and Mr.Lawrence do. The bud chemistry that sort of worked in BB I, is nowhere to be seen in this one. Moving on to the comedy side?? Well, I laughed once for 'Marsupial', enough said.

And then the violence. Do we need to see all those bodies created and handled in imaginable ways for humor's sake. I don't know may people who get amused seeing dead corpses decapitated on the freeway. Obviously, Mr.Smith and Mr.Lawrence see that as an appropriate spot for throwing a catchy one-liner as the excellent script defines. BTW, can't recognized actors use own judgment and refuse to deliver the worst stupidities. Obviously not. SPOILER AHEAD: "So, let's attack Cuba just the two of us... Wait, there are twenty volunteers coming along, thank God. Nothing can stop us now".

As I realize, BB II made well at the box office, which means that we'll see this sort of "entertainment" in the future as well. Too late to change that, but whatever you do, don't buy the DVD. Show that a consumer can have a say of things to come. Don't waste your money, please.

*** 1 out of 10 ***
31 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disgraceful
BroadswordCallinDannyBoy3 September 2005
A huge budget sequel to the dumb "Bad Boys." I guess it was inevitable.

I saw the HBO special on this movie and watch how Will Smith, Michael Bay, and Jerry Bruckheimer went on and on about how great this movie is. What was really happening was that Michael Bay and Will Smith were happy that they received a fat paycheck and Bruckheimer was happy that he will make another huge pile of money with the release.

They said "we finally got it perfect." Perfect? Perfectly over-blown trash maybe. There is not the slightest distant glimmer of anything that faintly resembles originality here. It is all one boring dull mindless cliché after another until the viewer is literally ready to puke.

The "story" starts with Will Smith, who is hot for Gabrielle Union who is Martin Lawrence's sister which is a a cheesy love vs family problem that is addressed so poorly that it shouldn't be there. And guess what? There is a twist! Gabrielle Union is an undercover cop working on what maybe the same case! Oh dear! We are also treated to a big loud car chase in which well over thirty vehicles are totaled along with the bad guys. But the good guys? They don't even get hurt. Some cops manage to land in critical care, but after flipping over in a car going 80 mph straight into a massive fireball in the middle of the highway you'd be dead. Yes the T-1000 survived such a feat, but he is a futuristic robot.

Moving right on from the pathetic story and horrible action is the humor. It is also dumb, cliché, and overly vulgar. I mean are rat sex and junior high school level gay jokes something you'd expect to see in a movie not by John Waters? Types of humor have their placement in film, or as Michael Bay demonstrates so well, misplacement. Moving on we come to a sick excuse for a plot device. Towards the end our heroes got save Gabrielle Union who was kidnapped. They pack their service pistols and prepare to go to take on an entire drug cartel. But guess what? The police chief's friends are in the CIA and they decide, out of the goodness of their heart, to help two hotshot loose cannon detectives! So now, with the help of a bunch of CIA commandos half of Cuba is blown up and everyone goes home safe. Preposterous on all counts.

There are entertaining movies that follow this kind of preposterous formula. James Bond, for one. He is just as ridiculous as this movie, but he has a light side. He doesn't take himself too seriously. Those films have a tongue in cheek nature that constantly reminds us that we are watching what is basically a fairy tale. Not here. This film takes it self so seriously and tries to be ultra cool and slick. Thankfully it fails on all fronts of film making. Let's hope we don't see anything like it anytime soon.

Sick, disgusting, unoriginal, a horrible waste of money, superficial, unentertaining, unfunny, vulgar, and just plain terrible. This sort of Hollywood junk put the word 'bad' in the dictionary. Either that or the Bubonic Plague. Well, I guess they are both bad. 1/10

Rated R: excessive violence, relentless profanity, and all around bad taste
35 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Atrocious sequel that overblows the action and comedy
Stampsfightclub24 November 2009
Mike Lowry (Smith) and Marcus Bennett (Lawrence) attempt to stop a drug baron exporting ecstasy across America.

1995 and Michael Bay shoots a successful Bad Boys, a gun ho thriller that exploded The Fresh Prince onto the film stage and started a trend of Michael Bay action.

Bay has had criticism over the years for his over the top immature approach to story telling and action and based on this film, those echoes are fully justified.

There was a reason Bad Boys did well and it really had little to do with the director. Lawrence was on top comedy form and Smith the fresh smiley face was in full swing of refreshment. Having two young comedians tackle two heavily sought after roles was a shift into the unfamiliar for a buddy cop movie, and it worked a treat as the pair bounced verbally and toughly off each other.

So where did it all go wrong in 2003? As we see the pair emerge undercover at some unexplained religious celebration there is racist banter, an over the top and unrealistic eventual shoot out and some gross out jokes that fill your mouth with bitterness.

Yes, when the pair emerges there is a cool low angled slow mo shot but Mr Bay never seems to stop pumping this motion. In the abandoned house, as Smith emerges in a purple blazer, as a mine flies in the air etc. It's not The Matrix as much as he thinks.

Perhaps the director isn't to be blamed for this film's overblown portrayal of testosterone. Ultimately this crime comedy boils down to one of the most poorly pencilled scripts in all of crime films.

Seriously, what is the purpose of trying to justify comedy in the way of drugs, car chases and rivalry? Those elements are enough for the usual good cop film, leave out the comedy. The opening title sequence is reasonably well established as the plane once more glides over the Miami sign and the set up for the boat drop could have been worse but the descent into the ordinary exaggeration of detective work is ridiculous. Clues seem to be too easy to find, whenever there seems to be too much talking there is an inclusion of overly long action to compensate and in case something was missing, there are ridiculous stereotypes thrown in.

These inclusions of rough gangsters doing drugs and a soft looking ruler just add to the sheer egregiousness of the overall picture. These included presumably getting some laughs but I struggle to see the humorous factor of Martin Lawrence on x, rat sex and a swimming pool breaking.

Perhaps the fact Smith and Lawrence are comic geniuses makes this disappointing as they are not funny exempt for brief one-liners.

Bay, the destroyer, has overblown the proportion of action with so many inclusions of bullets it is unforgivable not to mention numerous car chases that never result in a realistic crash. The franchise sadly looks to resume in 2012 but it surely won't get worse.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just when you thought summer blockbusters couldn't get any worse
jollio_peppers21 July 2003
"Bad Boys II" is quite likely the worst movie I have seen this year, and in a summer that gave us both "LXG" and "From Justin to Kelly", that's saying a lot. I left the film feeling irritated and angry that two and a half hours of my life were spent exposed to unoriginal, vulgar, poorly edited and written tripe. I enjoy a good action movie. Chase scenes and things going SPLAT and KABOOM can be fun, but Michael Bay manages to drag every moment for what seems like an eternity. Several scenes manage to plagiarize one another, and often felt like clips from the trailer instead of part of the movie. The continuity is horrible, and a chase scene that ends with the "heroes" crashing their car into a body of water, is immediately picked up on a road somewhere!

The fun interaction between Will Smith and Martin Lawrence that made the first "Bad Boys" enjoyable is pretty much entirely absent. Between their constant bickering, and dialogue so full of swearing tossed in for kicks, watching them literally becomes a painful experience. In the place of any real humor, the writers decided to resort to gay jokes to get some cheap laughs. (Nothing like the threat of anal rape to get the crowd roaring). Every actor in this disaster was reduced to a pathetic caricature: the brassy femme who wants to prove she is as good as the boys, while doing it in a bikini; the hard-boiled chief who has seen enough of the crime that is tearing his city (and consequentially his mental state of being) apart; JOE PANTOLIANO - WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!!

The movie itself is just so cold-hearted. To catch ONE drug dealer, the "heroes" of this movie cause 2 major highway disasters, and plow over a shanty town in like the 600th chase scene of the movie. Oh hooray, we got that awful drug lord; sure we killed dozens of people in the process, but at least the kiddies won't get their E as easily anymore. "Bad Boys II" was a bloated mess of a movie. Way too long, Way too poorly stitched together, and way too stupid to waste any of your time or money on.
17 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
utterly disgusting at times and unoriginal
DUKEJBM9 August 2003
At first I thought this movie was on pace to be an action movie classic. The freeway chase scene was just incredible (it blew the Matrix Reloaded highway scene clean out of the water). Then, I began to see why most of the critics smashed this film. It became unnecessarily repetitive. Shoot out after shoot out lost all meaning. Also, the utterly disgusting lack of respect for human life was beyond unnecessary and totally gross. Why did they need to feature, mutilate and pull things out of dead bodies?!? The slo-mo bullet scenes worked here but ripping off `Smallville' tricks is hardly original. If the director would've just cut the repulsive morgue scenes and about 30 minutes of other pointless, overly bloody, and unfun stuff, this one would've been a winner. Instead, it's not even a serviceable action movie.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I can barely believe I saw all that I saw in this movie!
Wizard-826 December 2003
Along with SPECIES 2, this may be the closest Hollywood has ever come to the unbelievably perverse and over-the-top nature that Hong Kong cinema is sometimes known for. We have corpses being run over and their body parts scattering across the street, people being shot in the head and their blood and brain matter just *flying* behind them, people are smacked into concrete posts at 60 miles an hour *then* fall several stories to their death, dozens of cars get smashed up in high-speed freeway chases, buildings get blown up, cops have to dig into the guts of corpses for clues, and a drug shantytown on the side of a mountain gets torn up by several vehicles racing through in what is a blatant rip-off of a famous scene from Jackie's Chan's POLICE STORY - for starters.

Now if you have a taste for sleaze and over-the-top action like I do, no doubt you will find all this stuff inevitably entertaining to a degree, and it will have you slack-jawed at times. However, though the movie has the "stuff" of these Hong Kong movies, it's not done with the same *finesse* - the movie is *way* overdirected and edited, making it harder to get a firm fix on whatever happens. It's also *way* too long, especially it's a really simple story that somehow took several screenwriters to crank out. Also, these two fellows got old fast - they are *so* loud, *so* foul-mouthed, and *so* angry-minded (and even downright cruel at times) that the movie is sometimes a chore to sit through, even though it's about them. Still, I'm giving this a cautionary recommendation - see it when it's cheap to rent and you are in the mind for something brainless - if only to see how berserk big-budget Hollywood filmmaking has become!
46 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All Hail the King of the Summer Movies!!!
The_Wood19 July 2003
Violent, loud, relentless, and without question the coolest film of the summer. Michael Bay's action epic is the action movie to top all action movies. It's as if Bay and producer Bruckheimer are saying, "we dare you to top this."

For Will Smith, the film is a breath of fresh air. What Smith is doing with this picture, is showing that he can do something more than entertain the PG-13 crowd with his alien fighter shinanigians. It's nice to see Will Smith play a pi**ed off angry cop, as opposed to his usual Mr. Nice Guy shtick. Martin Lawerence shows that he does have talent, if he works with the right people. My advice to Lawerence is don't make any movies except BAD BOY movies.

Much has been said about the film's violence, and frankly I'm surprised by it. Yes the film is violent. There are a lot of people getting shot and killed. What do you expect? It's a cop movie. Most critics have mentioned the scene involving dead bodies, used for comedic value. This is the same type of humor you see in movies like Final Destination 2, where the laughs come from the deaths. I don't find it offensive, because the scene with the bodies is an important slice to the narrative, and hey, it is FUNNY.

As an action picture, no other film this summer comes close to Bad Boys 2. The Matrix Reloaded tops Bad Boys 2 as an overall movie, but if you are just to measure the action scenes, Bad Boys 2 wins. Many have been comparing the chase scenes of this film and Reloaded. Let me say this, the freeway chase scene in Reloaded beats the chase scene in this film. The difference, the freeway scene in Reloaded was the main action scene, while the chase scene in Bad Boys 2 is one of seven amazing action scenes. No other Hollywood movie can compare to the amount of action that is in this film. So because, as of right now, Bad Boys 2 is the definitive action picture, you owe it to yourself to see it.
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BEST ACTION FILM EVER!!!
jaygun9223 July 2003
This was bar-none the best action I have seen in years!!! I am not only one of the most critical people I know when it comes to movies but I'm also not a Michael Bay fan. Oh My God!!! Most action films now-a-days are just ho-hum and use warmed over effects and stunts from other films, but this one pulls out all the stops. When I first saw the ads for this film last year, I said to myself, "Why are they making a sequel to that film?" Not only that, but why did they wait 8 years to make it. Needless to say, I didn't have much faith in this film. The underwhelming trailers didn't help either. Boy, was I wrong. This was the summer film I didn't know I wanted to see. Most action films are mere spectacle, but I actually felt this one in my gut. None of the sequences give up one inch of slack. This film is on major steroids. Oh...and did I mention the comedy? The exchanges between Martin Lawrence and Will Smith are completely raw and off the chain. I don't even like Martin Lawrence!!! This had to be one expensive movie, especially at 2.5 hours long. I was so pumped up after leaving the theater that when I got home I immediately put on some Slayer. This film is that good. This is by no means an Oscar winner, but who cares.

Forget the Matrix Reloaded, Terminator 3, The Hulk, and all those other weak imitators. Go see Bad Boys II five times and make it the highest grossing film of the summer. 10 out of 10!!!
17 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Boys, Bad Movies
MacAindrais3 October 2006
Bad Boys II (2003) No Stars

I've been trying lately only to review movies that I consider to be great movies, or random new releases that I get time to review. And so, this review is different. It's a movie that was made three years ago, and its the exact opposite of great. I hated this movie so much that months after finally watching the whole thing (I had to watch this "movie" in pieces because I felt as if I was going to have to stab my eyes out) I feel I can finally review this thing.

Will Smith and Martin Lawrence are Miami cops cracking down on a Cuban drug king, played by Jordi Molla. Martin Lawrences sister, Syd (Gabrielle Union) is also involved undercover in a federal investigation, and of course things get freaky with her and Will Smith's character. Blah blah blah, roll the clichés and super "cool" dialog, insert a chase scene that sees about a million cars get destroyed while Will Smith drives his Ferarri through the carnage at 200 mph unscathed, slap on some random catch phrases and a cheesy ending and BANG, you have Bad Boys II. Doesn't sound like much? It isn't.

You could say that the movie is just mindless action, but to say that it is mindless would excuse its insulting of morality and intelligence to the viewer. If it would be mindless it wouldn't know better. Michael Bay does know better, but that doesn't stop Bad Boys II from being cruel and down right offensive to mindless movies everywhere. The movie thinks that it's being funny when it's just being cruel, and one scene in particular made me cringe and made me want to run out and burn posters of Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. That scene involves the pair driving their fancy Hummer through a shanty town on a hillside. We're talking a slum, where the poorest people you could imagine live. The Hummer plows through the houses tearing them apart. This would have killed dozens of poor people. But do they care? No, they're driving their big yellow Hummer, having a ball. Sure they try to say that the village had been making drugs, but so what? I'm sure the kids and innocents who lived in those houses might have something to say about that.

This movie left me with a bad taste in my mouth that shows up every time I hear someone say "Bad," or "Boys," or "2." That this piece of cinematic junk has 6.1 rating on IMDb is mind blowing. It's a testament to the stupidity of the modern movie audience. I never had to pay to see this movie, yet after seeing the whole thing, I still felt like someone owed me a whole lot of money.
24 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Popcorn Fun
cosmic_quest12 March 2006
Like it's prequel, 'Bad Boys II' is not the sort of film you should watch if you like deep-thinking, philosophical dramas. But if you're just wanting to be entertained by plenty of action, sarcastic jokes and wisecracks then this is a perfect blockbuster for you.

It doesn't pretend to have some deep plot-- the storyline is the very simple premise of catching the drug dealers and getting the girl-- but it is pure popcorn entertainment complete with car chases and gun fights. The interplay between Will Smith and Matthew Lawrence is hilarious (the 'Bad Boy' films are the only time I can tolerate Lawrence); a more up-to-date version of Riggs and Murtaugh in the Eighties classic buddy flick 'Lethal Weapon'.

Very enjoyable action comedy that should please most fans of Hollywood blockbusters and cop flicks.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over the top, trigger happy macho nonsense. I loved it!
ExpendableMan21 March 2007
It must be awesome being Michael Bay. I mean, can you imagine any other director who is given mega-budgets every few weeks and told to blow up more than he did in his previous movies? In the first Bad Boys film an air-plane hanger was blown to bits and was swiftly followed by an asteroid being nuked in Armageddon and the destruction of Pearl Harbour in...uh, Pearl Harbour. Not to be undone, Bad Boys 2 has him indulging in not one, but two chaotic car chases where muscle cars which most of us would spend our lives saving up for are torn to pieces like yesterday's newspapers and rounding everything up by detonating a sizable part of Cuba. If this trend continues, there won't be a building left standing in the whole of North America once Transformers is through. Not bad for a smug little geek with a rubbish haircut.

If you've seen the first Bad Boys film, you'll know what to expect. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence return as Mike Lowrey and Marcus Burnett, a pair of loose cannon cops whose only similarities are their penchants for arguing and getting into gun fights. Lowrey (Smith) is all laid back cool, stylin' and profilin' his way through the Miami underworld while charming the pants off every woman that crosses his path. Burnett on the other hand is an insecure, neurotic and over protective family man. Not only that, but he has a bit of an anger management problem as well and has been half a step away from a severe nervous breakdown for the majority of his adult life. So far, so very similar to any cop orientated buddy movie you've ever seen, but Bad Boys 2 overcomes the total lack of originality thanks to the natural charisma of the stars and the sheer spectacle of its action sequences.

The plot of course is throw away guff designed to hurtle Smith and Lawrence into the thick of as many explosions as possible, but when they bounce off each other this well it's difficult to care. Martin Lawrence has never been a great leading man but somehow, when partnered with Will Smith his career makes perfect sense, his manic edginess being the perfect foil to Smith's effortless charm. You could argue that being on screen with the World's Most Charismatic Man would make anyone look good, but then you'd clearly not have seen the terrible I, Robot, where nobody looked good. Not even the robot.

And then you have the aforementioned action sequences. Yes, we all know they're going to be over the top, but lord almighty, it's still an adrenaline pumping thrill to see them happen. The opening John Woo impression with the Ku Klux Klan is just the starter to a main course that consists of a destruction derby car chase, a close quarters battle with some Rastafarian gang members, a fist fight on a train carriage, ANOTHER insane car chase and a dessert set in Cuba, where a mansion gets destroyed. Throughout, bodies fly off overpasses to go crashing into glass phone boxes, men are riddled with machine gun fire and the balls of fire get bigger and more firey the later they appear. Bad Boys 2 might not be subtle, but it sure as hell is fun.

However, there is a drawback: the running time. It might be an energetic exercise in flashy excess, but did it really need to be two and a half hours long? Entertaining though it is, there comes a point when you've seen enough faceless henchmen getting holes drilled in them and just want to see the villain being brought down. Given the extreme running time, isn't also a bit unusual that Joe Pantoliano's role as the best clichéd police chief in movie history is so small? Maybe they were worried he'd pack the movie into his bags and run off with them like he did the first time around...

Those grumbles aside, there's little complaint to be made about Bad Boys 2. Sure, it's so shallow that I could just as easily have written "Will Smith and Martin Lawrence destroy stuff" and summed up the entire enterprise, but it makes for an exhilarating action movie and the natural successor to all those ones produced in the eighties when brain cells were exchanged for body counts and biceps. Try not to take it seriously and you'll have a blast.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More than your typical buddy cop flick. Way more!!
Dragonsouls21 July 2003
Lights, Camera, ACTION! plenty of it, I wrote my review for Bad Boys over a year ago, I couldnt wait for this movie. I am a big Bruckheimer fan because I like action. Critics who keep bashing the movie forget that Micheal Bay is known for shooting action. So if you don't like to see some amazing action sequences, and you have a weak stomach, then stay away from movies like these. I thought this movie had more action in it than all of the Lethal Weapon movies. This is "the" buddy cop movie. Their should be a part 3 now that this movie clocked in over 40 million in its first weekend.

I already said enough about the action in this film, but Martin and Will are hilarious in this one, even though the plot has nothing to do with several of their skits. It feels like they were 2 different movies here. But nevertheless, the chemistry was good between them, and they had me falling off my seat.

So do not miss this movie because a critic says so. This movie will make way more than it cost to make ($200,000,000) but it will Cha-Ching, much more just like Pearl Harbor was bashed, along with Armageddon which are Hollywood Classics. I admit Bay is not my favorite director to see work with Bruckheimer, his closeup hand-held camera shaking movements always bothered me. Instead I like the Scott bros. Ridley and Tony who should direct Bruckheimer movies from now on.

*** 3 stars out of 4. Go see this film, just get the advil ready afterwards
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
superkev8817 April 2005
By the far the best film i have ever seen. Its jam packed with action from start to finish, and its hands down the funniest film i've ever seen too. Will Smith and Martin Lawrence are absolutely tremendous in this film. They make the film so good. The storyline is good, the special effects are breath taking. If you haven't already seen this film then you have to go out and see it right now, its absolutely amazing. It is the perfect film, full of action, comedy and great acting. You'll be rolling on the floor laughing at this and you'll be amazed by the action sequences. This is film is simply a masterpiece. Amazing stuff!!!!!
17 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Boys, Bad Boys, Whatcha Gonna Do
amhennin054415 September 2005
Bad Boys 2 is one of the better movies i've ever seen. It has a little bit of everything you could want. Comedy and Action a plenty, along with some suspense and some partial nudity, granted it was dead nudity, but for some people that's all they get. The characters are portrayed to perfection, and Martin Lawrence and Will Smith have a superb on screen chemistry. There are some funny quotes throughout the movie, such as, "I can't believe you two, do you call each other in the morning, 'Good morning Marcus, Good morning Mike, how you doin, Aiight." Alright, in context it's a funny quote. Overall, this is pretty much the best movie i've ever seen, bare in mind that i'm a 19 year old who just likes to watch stuff blow up, and have a good laugh.
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Evil One has outdone himself this time!
PlutonicLove22 July 2003
Before I begin this brief review of Bad Boys II, let me inform you that I am not a prude. I love exploitation films. I love sex and violence. But this movie simply crossed the line. Forget Hershell Gordon Lewis - he was Walt Disney in comparison. Forget all of the grande guignol Italian horror directors of the '70s - their zombie and cannibal movies are like the Teletubbies compared to Michael Bay's latest monsterpiece. Hell, even forget the collected works of Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider and Tom Green.

.this movie.

.this movie. this movie.

This movie will go down in my long years of extensive movie watching as the crassest, most offensive, most bloodthirsty, most repulsive film ever made. Not since the release of the actual Nazi Holocaust footage have I seen so much mindless destruction and heartless killing on screen, fuelled by endless supplies of unbridled hate. Never have two supposed `heroes' caused so much collateral damage for so little reason. The film's supposed `gags' consist of nothing but homophobia, necrophilia, corpse mutilation and seriously offensive ethnic slurs, the punch lines usually resulting in more impersonal unnecessary killing, filmed in that pornographically violent style we've come to expect from Bay. This is violence without consequence - most of the time the movie doesn't even address it (such as the scene where a Hummer crushes dozens of shanties and their inhabitants).

And you know what? It wouldn't even bug me that much if the film had any halfway decent action scenes. Zilch. Bay's direction can only be described as incompetent to the very extreme. To quote Roger Ebert: `The movie is so choppy in its nervous editing that a lot of the time we're simply watching senseless kinetic action. The chase scenes and shoot-outs are broken down into closeups that deny us any sense of the physical relationship of the actors or the strategy of a chase. It's all just movement.'

I had little idea of what was going on during the film's countless chase scenes, or why they were necessary.

This movie has officially surpassed Pearl Harbor, Attack of the Clones Batman and Robin and Freddy Got Fingered on my list of worst movies of all time. Congratulations, Michael Bay. After Pearl I didn't think it could get any worse, but you've outdone yourself this time.
12 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.