A Fish Tale (2000) Poster

(2000)

Good movie for children
cassandrayue24 January 2007
I bought this movie for my 5-year old son who loves sea creatures. I bought the movie on a Friday and over the weekend, he watched it at least 10 times. It's his favourite movie and I must say I like it very much as well. The animation is very well-done and the angles are unique and interesting. My son still watches it twice a day, every day.

Does anyone know of any other sea-related cartoons, other than Finding Nemo?

I think this is an excellent movie for children. It's educational (teaches about sea creatures) and the story line is one of the most original I've come across.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the negative reviews, this film is much better than people give credit for!
TheLittleSongbird26 April 2009
I will admit that this film lacks the qualities that make Disney, Pixar, Studio Ghibli and Dreamworks so memorable. I am nearly 17, and I think it is a very entertaining but flawed film, that is much better than people give credit for. Adults won't find much to go on, but children will love at least one aspect of the movie.

The animation is in general very good,considering it's a danish studio, very bright in the underwater sequences. However, some of the character animation was not as good as it could have been, and it was a little flat, especially in the first ten minutes or so.

The songs were adequate, but I personally think both children and adults won't remember any of them, except "Help I'm a little yellow fish", perhaps not always in a good way. I liked that song, and I liked "Intelligence", but the other songs are forgettable. The incidental music wasn't bad either, though some of it sounded very like the Lion King.

The story is a very nice idea indeed, about three children accidentally coming across a potion that turns them into fish, and encountering a villainous fish named Joe (admittedly an odd name for a villain), who is desperate for power. I personally thought the story was a nice idea, but there were some scenes where it dragged, and others where it felt rushed. I did think the script was nicely-written, again it may depend on the audience, as there is a lot of very confusing maths and science.

The voice talents were actually not that bad at all. Alan Rickman lent his gritty baritone to a cool and suave villain, and I must say he didn't do too bad a job. As a matter of fact, I was impressed with him more than anybody else. Had he had some better material,(not as bad as it could have been) his villain could have been more memorable than they made him. Terry Jones was an inspired choice for McKrill. His character is quite mad, and there were times when Jones was very funny, but other times when he quite badly overdid the character, most notably in his song. Fly, Stella and Chuck were well done, but the only voice actor I wasn't hugely keen on was the voice actor of the shark; he was very loud and got a bit annoying.

The special features on the DVD could have been of a bigger variety. There was an interesting featurette with interviews with Rickman and Jones, and some equally interesting filmographies. If anything, there could have had a bit more variety for kids, like games and trailers for other films.

All in all, I liked this film. Is it the best animation in the world? No it isn't, but it isn't too bad an attempt. 7/10 Bethany Cox
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People seriously didn't like this movie?
TheSonomaDude21 March 2013
A 5.6 IMDb rating for a kids film like this is usually not a good sign; after all, its the same rating as Transformers 2 and Quest For Camelot. Frankly, the DVD art looks absolutely horrendous and the plot sounds like an episode from Johnny Test, but however, this movie is the ultimate example of "Dont judge a book by its over" because not only did it far exceed my expectations, but it was a near great movie in almost every aspect.

The film involves three kids who get turned into fish after drinking a potion created by a nutty scientist. The kids have 48 hours to find an antidote or else they will be stuck as fish forever. Plus, the antidote has leaked into the sea and has started to turn regular dumb fish into talking genius fish, and the villain fish (voiced by the perfectly cast Alan Rickman) has become a super genius and is bent on taking over the world. A cliché plot, yes, but this is probably the weakest of the films flaws.

The animation is stellar. The 2D looks gorgeous and flows fluidly. The 3D animation...yah, it looks pretty choppy and mediocre, but fortunately it is not used too often. The characters are well written and their interactions with each other and their surroundings are believable and fun. The songs (this is a musical, kinda sorta) aren't bad either, and I actually was humming Alan Rickman's villain song. The film is also devoid of clichés, for the most part at least. There were at least five or six moments were the film did something totally unexpected and completely original. Bravo for a kids film I say, Bravo!

One thing I must touch on is the abundance of violence. On the surface (no pun intended), this film seems extremely harmless. Wrong! This film is full of senseless death, including a shark that eats innocent fish and some of the main characters in the movie. One scene that sticks out is when the main character, Fly, gets stabbed in the face by a crab and blood, yes, BLOOD, floats around in the water. But most of all, this film has possibly THE ballsiest villain death of all time. I wont spoil it, but it is an original and fantastic way to finish the villain. Also, there is a fake-out death that occurs involving Fly that actually made my jaw drop.

Overall, this is a very well made animated movie, and the 5.6 rating is extremely harsh. I've tried to find out why this movie isn't well liked by audiences, but I cant find a decisive answer. The only negative things I can find about this film through my eyes are the brief moments of CGI animation, the main pop song is annoying, and maybe some were offended by the violence, but that still does not answer the hate this film gets. The IMDb reviews that rated this a 1/10 are completely delusional, with one person saying the only good thing was the 3D animation (which was surprisingly the worst thing), one review seeming to imply that it was made solely to cash off Finding Nemo (despite the fact that this was made four years earlier), and one reviewer did not even seem to have watched the movie, claiming that it was full of clichés, it was full of bathroom humor (which it had none) and the animation was abysmal. I am willing to bet this last reviewer simply saw the DVD cover at his local rental store and went home pretending he had saw it. Shame, he missed out on a great movie.

This is a total recommendation by every means of the word. Hopefully, you'll be just as surprised as I was, and just as satisfied too. If this movie had better marketing, it would be much more known and loved. I guarantee it.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well Animated and Keeps The Kids Amused
retrogames20 February 2005
This movie which almost immediately appeared on DVD at an ultra budget price should be snapped up quickly by anybody with young kids. This movie has been played more times than any of the Disney titles since its been purchased and given the name "Help I'm a Bish" by one happy little girl... It may not have the Disney credentials but its certainly beautiful to look at and with some not bad songs thrown in to the mix will put a smile on any youngsters face (or just keep them quite for a while, which will put a smile on your face).

So don't overlook this little gem if you have a youngster of pre school age, they will love Help I'm a Bish :-)
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie!!
smglva10 September 2005
I think this was a great movie! It was funny and full of cliché! I especially liked Stella, the little girl, she was so innocent and curious. It reminded me of my baby cousin. Fly was the bad boy in the group. He didn't do it on purpose, just somehow whenever he did something it always became a catastrophe. For example- If Fly hadn't wanted to go fishing in the first place it never would have happened. But if he hadn't, there would be no story. Charles is the nerd in the group. Which is great actually, he's funny, witty and always saying long words! It makes you wonder what he's saying. If there was no Charles there would have been no chance for Fly and Stella to get back to being human! Joe was another great character. Obviously hes the real bad guy, the one who makes a problem of what the good guys are trying to do and they have to kill him! It was a great movie and i recommended it to all my friends and now i'm recommending it to you!!!!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Second Best Fish-Film to Finding Nemo
dadashx9626 August 2015
This film starts off straight away by easily separating the personality of the characters within this film. The opening is quite comedic and features scenes that grips kids to the screen as well as adults. This film is moving and entertaining and a joy to watch. Many different things happen in the film to make it slightly unpredictable at times and providing a well thought through ending. Personally I especially enjoyed the scene towards the end of the film where Chuck is using different objects to get through the pipes back towards the Professors Boat. Overall this film is a not only fun but also exciting film to watch especially if you are with a child as it is slightly moving in ways that often mislead you.

This is a film I would recommend and I am surprised it has not received more recognition as many people I know have not seen or heard of this film. The film doesn't quite reach the Disney standard of 'Finding Nemo' but just ends up slightly more entertaining than 'Shark Tale'. It is a film where you cannot end up disappointed.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not an unpleasant way to pass the afternoon...
jlb2412 May 2003
A harmless little flick, that shows Disney is not the only one who can pump out "love it or hate it" cutesy animated features. It is done in the standard formula for kids movies, but drew me in.

I was sucked in by the ads I heard on French TV. The euro pop beat is a little cliché but still catchy. The title song is so nihilistic yet upbeat, I couldn't help but like it. The karaoke bonus on the DVD is even more fun for the kids. And a good way to help the kids learn French.

Unfortunately, it has not been released for Region 1, so I can't get a copy to my family in the US.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
High Violence Content for G rating
Big Huge Doug2 March 2008
While I thought many aspects of the movie were OK, I was a little disturbed by the large amount of blood and death portrayed throughout the movie. It's fairly unusual as far as I can remember to see a main character suffer so graphically in a G rated film. I won't warn people away from it, but I wouldn't recommend it for younger children or those who are sensitive or scare easily. The songs are generally good, but if you're used to the Pixar trend of no singing, you may find it a little jarring. Alan Rickman does a lovely voice-over, but it was so soft at times I had a bit of a hard time hearing it. Other voices ranged from decent to non-offensive -- there were no other real standouts, although the little girl doing Stella was awfully cute. Overall I only give this a six because compared to many other fine children's animated tales, it really has very little to put it above any of the others.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is quality, and its danish. I'm very proud.
Tranum4 October 2000
This is quality, and its danish. I'm very proud. The story is great, all the basic rules for an animated film is upheld. The combination of computer animation and animation the old fashion way, with pencil and paper, is very good. It's not that obvious when it's one or the other animation type, like in e.g. "Prince of Egypt" or "Anastasia". Though these two titles are very good animated features they do suffer from this problem. This is very nicely done is this film.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprisingly, this is still more credible than "Deep Blue Sea."
Victor Field26 January 2003
"Help! I'm A Fish" is a Danish-Norwegian-German-Irish co-production with additional animation done in Spain, England and Bangkok, plus voice work (in the English-language version) done in the UK, Canada and the US. So it's a good advertisement for international cooperation, but as a movie it's less effective.

The actual story isn't bad (three stereotyped kids - a sporty lad, his cute little sister and their fat brainy cousin - go fishing, stumble into the lair of an eccentric scientist and, thanks to his special potion, turn into fishes (a flyfish, a starfish and a jellyfish respectively); and unless they can get the antidote within 48 hours they'll stay fishes forever), but the handling doesn't have the extra touch that could lift it into something great. As is often the case in live-action films, Alan Rickman livens things up no end as the voice [again, in the English-language version] of the movie's villain, a fish who drinks some of the antidote and wants to use his intelligence to take over the undersea world, or something... it's never really clear thanks to the script.

The animation's often quite good (but the opening titles of fish swimming clash with the first scenes with the human characters - the quality is a bit jarring), some scenes are genuinely effective such as the final faceoff between heroes and villains, and it's inoffensive - unless you consider montages set to Europop songs and the presence of American voices offensive (incidentally, why are the children voiced by Americans and their parents voiced by Canadians?) - but it's not really too memorable, either. "Help! I'm A Fish" is preferable to some Disney films and is certainly closer to a proper movie than other European animated features (at least I managed to get through this, which is more than can be said for "Millionaire Dogs"), but while it's not fair to expect "The Little Mermaid," ultimately it's not nearly as cute and endearing as... well, that Little Trees song you hear over the credits.

"I'm a little yellow fish in the deep blue sea... won't somebody save me?"
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Brilliant Amination From Denmark.
richard-wheeler16 April 2005
I enjoyed watching "Help!I'm A Fish" because it's full of entertainment and it's been very well done displaying how would others marine would behave if they drank "fish antidote".

I was impressed by the 3-d graphics of all the fish seen in the movie and the soundtrack too! Little Trees produced a spectacular dance song for the film!It tells you everything about the movie! The first time I heard the song, I fell in love with it due three Danish women with EXCELLENT talent.

I was amused the the character "Shark" (David Bateson) who was big and stupid and "Joe" (Alan Rickman), on the other hand was very smart. Still today, it makes me think. If any animal in the animal kingdom is big, they let their partner who is who stays with them in their symbiosis period does all the thinking for them. LOL! And the crabs behaving like soldiers, I would laugh if that happens in the ocean.

There were some cute moments in the movie, one was when Fly (Jeff Pace) turned into a "Californian Linefish" and when Stella (Michelle Westerson) turned into a starfish and soon, they bumped into Charles and they couldn't stop laughing because he turned into a jellyfish!And then, Fly told Charles (Aaron Paul) that could see right through him as Fly giggled.

Another was when Stella found her friend who was a seahorse names "Sasha" (Louise Fribo) and while she was riding her, Fly grabbed hold of a wild seahorse and the seahorse was so difficult it took off with Fly being dragged from behind.

And last but not least, was the cutest one. Stella was busy sleeping under a sole fish and when it took off, she woke up and cried: "Mommy!Mommy! My blankey is alive! Gasp! MOOOOOOMYYYY!" LOL! CUTE! It was FISHTASTIC!
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go Fish.
McBuff21 May 2001
Delightful animated feature about a bunch of kids turning into fish by accident when visiting a weird scientist. Excellent animation and music with some truly mesmerizing sequences, but some scenes may be a little too creepy for very young children. Only complaint: Why is the English languaged version (with Alan Rickman and Terry Jones) missing on the DVD? ***
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good entertainment for the whole family.
Animany9426 August 2017
I loved this as a kid and I bought it recently to see if it still holds up to this day. And it did in almost every way!

If you look away from some forgettable songs, the rest of the movie is both funny, original and at times surprisingly dark. It has elements which adults can relate to. The feelings of desperation when your children disappear is every parent's worst nightmare. This is what makes this a good family movie.

The main characters develop nicely throughout the movie and end up learning lessons worth a fortune. It is very well done. Joe is also a pretty good villain. Wanting to have power and control is not original, but the setting of it here is indeed!

The climax of the movie is great! Both intense and actually pretty violent and scary.

Recommendable for you and your family.
Great movie FOR KIDS
elygallego11 January 2017
I remember watching this movie when I was just a 5-year-old kid, in fact, that's my first memory of watching a movie at the theater, so this movie was very important to develop my love for movies, although I don't remember much about the plot, I remember the characters pretty well even though I haven't seen this movie in probably 15 years. This is a great movie for 5 to 10-year-old kids, I watched it many times in my childhood and I remember loving it just as I did with many more known kids movies like Toy Story, The Lion King, The Iron Giant and so on, it serves its purpose pretty well. If you have kids definitely show them this movie, they'll enjoy it a lot.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little fish... that used to be human
Angels_Review12 April 2014
Here we have a show that even though was created with a child whimsy is actually a rather fun family video. At first, the characters and art felt as though it was slightly bland, more along the lines of a rather old time show then one made in the twentieth century but as I watched, it slowly made me remember the older shows I tend to love like 'All Dogs go to Heaven' and even some old Sonic shows. This childhood nostalgia I got from watching a show that was brand new to me actually touched me more then one would think to a point I got into the story.

It was interesting how they seemed to use the same sort of story where we have a 'stupid' shark and the 'Don' style character trying to make a new world order underwater felt very old and very new at the same time. Characters that didn't have very much power in the beginning slowly came to power just because they found some item that gave them powers. The way they portrayed this was timeless in the act of the villain creating almost a cultist type of society where everything had to be his way or you would get yourself eaten reminded me of the book 'Animal Farm'. It was a book that was written to talk about Communism and how it didn't work. In my opinion, that was the more adult side of the story while the children turning into fish and their adventure to turn back was more of a child's way of looking at the world. Although there wasn't any really deep meaning behind the point with the communist society, there was one in how the children drew strength through one another. We especially see that between the two boys, one a very nerdy boy and the other was a sort of street smart kid who sometimes got into trouble. This sort of strength actually got me to cry at the end of the show surprisingly, that and I just didn't know which way the story was going to go as the rest of the show had some interesting twists and turns to it.

The animation is pretty interesting but they seem to be drawing to a select style. It's very much like a cartoon you would see in the 90's and yet it was made in 2000. I'm not saying it's bad, many of the stuff that I grew up with was like this and was what actually took me back to my childhood as I watched. Unfortunately, for some of the creatures they had, I couldn't tell when they were turned more human and when they were still fish because they all looked very cartoony. I guess that's the sad part about the style because unless something is really well detailed (to a point that it would be very hard to animate), we won't really see much of that change.

The voice acting and music is actually rather good. The only problem that I have is the voice of the little girl who sometimes gets rather annoying once in a while. It's hard to come up with a little girl character that won't be that annoying though so I don't dock them the rating for that. Surprisingly, the voices for the kid's fish characters and human characters were actually done by different people and yet it was so well done I didn't notice any real change to it. It was as though they were the same people. (If I am wrong and got it confused, please let me know. The credits showed two voice actors, one for fish and one for human.)Some of the music was so good that I wanted to get the soundtrack just for that song. I especially loved the ending song that I think might have been called 'I'm a little little fish in the deep blue sea' or something similar. It was a original song for the show but I fell in love with it.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A decent underwater adventure from my teens and earlier adulthood
Stompgal_8712 October 2013
I first heard of this film when I was watching a jukebox-style music channel (which viewers would ring to choose a music video) and one video that could be chosen was 'Help! I'm A Fish' by Little Trees and I thought to myself "What an unusual song title by a group with a funny name." Before I heard the song and saw the video, I thought it would be a heavy metal rock song but when I finally saw the video' it wasn't a rock song. It was a 'Europop' girl band song that was a tad annoyingly catchy but the video had clips from the film 'Help! I'm A Fish,' which was a film I fancied seeing because I like animated films and programmes set underwater. When I was on a summer leisure scheme in 2001, I went to the cinema and wanted to see this film but the volunteer didn't, so we opted for 'Recess: School's Out' instead. I caught the ending of it when I was 16 whilst flicking through the Sky Movies channels and the part where Stella turns into a starfish on CITV when I was a bit older, although it wasn't until I was about 18 or 19 that I got to see this film in full when I rented the DVD and I really quite enjoyed it for its dark yet cute tone, animation and music.

The CGI opening sequence of fish swimming underwater whilst the song 'Ocean Love' plays is beautiful but a bit misleading for a 2D animated film. Like 'The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning,' some 3D objects stand out from the 2D a little too much such as Fly and Stella's parents' car and some of the underwater fish. As for the songs, the most memorable for me were the titular song (unsurprisingly!), 'Fishtastic But True' and 'Suddenly.' In spite of 'Intelligence' initially being forgettable, I was impressed with it when I watched it on LoveFilm Instant today. The orchestral score was melodic as well. While some of the dialogue is over-familiar and has references to maths and science that younger children may find hard to understand, I liked the twists on common phrases such as "On the other fin" and "Catfish got your tongue?" The human character designs are rather simplistic but I liked the children's transformations into fish, especially Fly (what an unusual name) turning into a Californian Fly Fish' as well as Sasha's transformation into a 4-legged horse at the end. She and Stella are the most adorable characters here while Joe (voiced convincingly by Alan Rickman) is a sinister villain and the shark is brash. I liked how certain scenes and shots were constructed such as the video footage of Stella turning into a starfish and an old doll being dropped after Aunt Anna faints.

Overall this is a decent underwater film if not as good as 'The Little Mermaid' or 'Finding Nemo' but I found it more substantial on my most recent viewing than my first. 8/10.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great movie, but not for younger children
personziziz9 July 2012
First off, do not be fooled by the English title of "A Fish Tale," or by the mediocre cover art accompanying it. It would lead you to believe that this film is nothing more than a shoddy rip off of Shark Tale, which most certainly is not the case.

The film follows the adventures of Fly, his cousin Chuck, and his sister Stella as they are transformed into fish. They must retrieve the antidote within 48 hours, or be trapped as fish forever.

While the animation is nothing special, the film has an interesting plot that will hold most older children's attention. Younger children, however, may become bored due to lack of action and singing. While there are a few songs, they are unmemorable at best. Also, younger children may be frightened by some imagery used in the film. The main villain, Joe, is quite frightening to look at, even for some older children. There is quite a bit of violence: Shark eats a few fish throughout the course of the film, spitting out the bones in one instance. Fly is severely injured by a crab, and there is some blood. While not quite "violent" the death of Joe is quite disturbing, and unlike in most children's' movies, it is not censored; he drowns on- screen.

Overall, this movie is much better than people give it credit for. 8/10
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Naive and entertaining, ideal for the young ones
Tina_V7 November 2010
As any film, how you grade it depends on what you were looking for, entertainment, action, truth, mix of emotions! I myself loved it, as it made me cry and smile and laugh, and left a good post-watch feeling.

This is an interesting plot, believable if you let yourself into the fantasy's reality. Most importantly, it was done with heart and the right values – but the target audience is clearly children.

Also a film depicting the challenges of sibling relationship, constant fights, which prove unimportant in the end because sibling love, although not always evident, is there, hidden underneath, strong, consistent and prevailing.

My 7-year-old daughter loved it and watched at least 4 times the first weekend, by now easily 20 or 30 times, and it continues to be her favourite, over all Disney collection of all times -- yes, we happen to have nearly all Disney DVDs, from classic to recent, and "Help I'm a fish" topped them all in my daughter's view. Have to say, after you watch it 4 times, it becomes a bit annoying... But my grade is for when i watched it first time.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable children's flick though some awkward plotting and forgettable songs render it to be overshadowed.
ohsta6220 April 2010
Help! I'm a Fish pretty much came out of and exited to nowhere. OK, to be precise, it was produced and first released in Denmark as Hjælp, jeg er en fisk. Virtually no one knows the film as it possibly had very little marketing, I probably saw only 1 television advert of it. While it is an underrated gem if not, it's not spectacular in some terms. I cannot locate the full film which only some or most scenes are available.

The plot is quite straightforward. It is about 3 children who turn into fish. One is a boy named Fly who turns into a Californian flying fish, along with his younger sister Stella who she turns into a starfish and his cousin Chuck turns into a jellyfish. They go to a houseboat of a marine biologist called Professor MacKrill. He develops a potion that turns humans and possibly other species to various sea creatures as he predicts the Earth's sea level will rise by the Polar cap melting i.e. people would drown. MacKrill also made a potion to turn things to a human. The children drink the fish potion though they do not know its effects. They then realize their fish and must find the human potion by sunset tomorrow or they will stay fish for good.

It certainly isn't a generic story but of course, this is only the beginning of the film. The characters including the children as well as a seahorse that tags along called Sasha aren't quite colourful if not unmemorable. The villains are quite irregular. The main antagonist which is a pilot fish named Joe along with an unnamed great white shark. The two develop human characteristics by sniffing the human potion. Joe uses the antidote to have a new civiliastion of intelligent fish. While he has potential of a good villain, he doesn't do evil things often. Rather selfish ones. There's hardly anything monumental in the narrative.

The animation is decent and good for Denmark. It compares itself to major studios like Disney. The CGI is noticeable but blends fine with the traditional animation. The songs are forgettable which they are song by characters. The Danish haven't realized here that characters no longer sing in hand drawn films although the film's release was early for this concept to follow(which gives a possible thing that singing characters in films before the 2000's decade was compulsory).

It is unknown of the reception or box office of the film. It's likely it had mixed reviews with a low box office. Not to be offensive but I have never heard of the film since I saw it once on TV. The English language version of the film was released 2001 unlike its original Danish speaking one about a year ago. The 00's has seen a decline in popularity for traditional animation even if they had CGI. Instead, CGI films had reigned supreme in box office mostly than critical reception. Help! I'm a Fish is one of them and other films such as Osmosis Jones, Treasure Planet etc. In other words, the film could have had a low box office for poor awareness, audiences losing interest in TrA films as well as box office hits in 2001. From CGI successes like Shrek to Live action fare Harry Potter and The Philosophers Stone, H!IaF may have unfortunately been DOA.

No instalments have been made from the film to date. That is, no sequels, prequels etc. However, a pop song was produced called I'm a Little Yellow Fish based on the film and a fansite. It is quite a shame as there is more that could be done from the narrative such as fish turning into humans. It could have been direct to video most likely. The film isn't for everyone. It has scenes that would appeal to children but some scenes that may be unsuitable for them such as a crab injuring Fly as a fish by one slash (which probably had him with a injured leg when turned back to a human).

Help! I'm a Fish is a neat film that could have been better. If not then it needed more marketing. The 'Little Yellow Fish' song is more memorable than the other songs in the film combined though it isn't all that great though enjoyable (for some). It also shows Denmark could pull out a good film that could stand among major countries in the motion picture industry like the USA. Anyway, this is all I could say, happy watching.
Yay!
mgafm9 April 2003
This is a fun kids movie with beautiful animation! Some of the Disney movies could learn a thing or two from the Norwegians. Alan Rickman and Terry Jones do brilliant voice work on this. The songs get a little tiresome, but overall the movie is unbearably cute.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Northern tryout
jean-no3 May 2003
This is a German-danish-irish animation movie : those countries are not very famous in the animation scene (1st: Japan, 2nd: USA, 3rd: France), it is some kind of a first tryout, and it is not bad. The design reminds a lot "iron giant" (Warner Bros Masterpiece), not as skilly but you can get the picture, the story reminds... that the writers should have work a little bit much. The computer animations are sometimes very elegant, sometimes poor. The sound is good. Well that's not a masterpiece but it is definitly not as bad as some Disney stuff like "little mermaid" or "beauty and the beast" and it is much better than any Disney sequel (Pocahontas II, Lion King II, and, argh... Little Mermaid II - they dared do it). Anyways : I didn't enjoy this movie very much, but my kids did, they still prefere Chihiro, princess Mononoke, Monsters Inc., Kirikou or the brilliant Lilo & Stich, but they enjoyed "Hjælp, jeg er en fisk" ("oups, je suis un poisson", in french).
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OH MY COD! This movie was surprising, not that bad. However, the story is a bit fishy.
ironhorse_iv29 November 2015
At first, I kinda flounder on seeing this Danish animation movie for the longest time, until I finally gave this movie a watch. Now, that I had seen this, I really don't need any more time to mullet over it. While, this movie directed by Stefan Fjeldmark isn't as good as Pixar's 2003's 'Finding Nemo' in the masterpiece department; 'Help, I'm a Fish' wasn't as bad as critics make it out to be. Yes, it cod be batter, but it was a pretty enjoyable for the most part. This movie got me hooked, lined and sinker. I kinda like this underwater adventure film. It was decent. Still, the movie's story could had needed, a little work when it came to the science. It's seem bit too implausible for humans to turn into fishes. It also seem a bit illogical, that fishes would be able to understand, language so quick, but it never once, felt too distracting or bizarre for a kid's film. It's better off, just to ignore it and just try to enjoy the film. I think, children will easily understand, what's going on, no matter, how much exposition is spit out. Anyways, the movie tells the story of three kids, whom were accidentally turned into fishes, when a mad scientist, Professor MacKrill (Voiced by Terry Jones/ Søren Sætter-Lassen in Danish)'s experiment with global warming and its rising oceans tides goes horribly wrong. Now, left in the ocean to fend for themselves, the three kids; the adventurous, Fly (Voiced by Jeff Pace in English/ Sebastian Jessen in Danish), the child genius, Chuck (Voiced by Aaron Paul in English/ Morten Kernn Nielsen in Danish), and last, the baby sister, Stella (Voiced by Michelle Westerson in English/ Pil Neja in Danish), must find the strength and courage to fight against a power-hungry enemy fish, Joe (Voiced by Alan Rickman in English/ Nis Bank-Mikkelsen in Danish) for leadership of the ocean; while, also racing against time to recover the antidote which will turn them back into normal selves. Can the kids make it, back to solid ground or will they be end up being shark bait? Watch the movie to find out! Without spoiling the movie, too much, I have to say, 'Help! I'm a Fish' had a very interesting production. The movie was finish in late 1999, and released in Denmark in 2000. Yet the producers felt to release the film in the U.S, a year later in 2001, under a different name and title, 'A Fish Tale'; despite already having a full English speaking cast redubbed, the original Danish lines. I guess, the producers didn't had the confidence to release it, earlier or retouches had to be done in the animation side. In my opinion, I don't see much, different, from this and the Danish version, so who knows, why it was released so late! All, I know is the hand-drawn animation in this film is just as good as two largest American animation studios at the time: Disney & Dreamsworks. It looks amazing! I have a theory, that some of those companies animators, also work on this film, because I see, a lot of familiar drawing styles. You can really tell, in the way, the animation people's heads are shape and how they moved, frame by frame. You can also tell, that the movie used some early CGI in some of its sequences. They mostly were cleverly cover by cell-shaded, so it always be too conspicuous, however, some of them, really stick out, such in the scenes featuring machines, storms or larger creatures. One thing, I didn't really didn't like, about the CGI, is how the newer DVD cover art makes it seem like a fully computer animation movie, when it was not. Another thing, that the newer DVDs gone is a really crappy 3-D rendering. It really looks horrible. Talking about horror, while, the movie is indeed rated G, the movie is full of nightmarish imagery, such as human bodies graphic degenerating, cult-like organizations & anamorphic fishes, getting eaten. These scenes might scare, little children. The movie is also full of intense moments that will get anybody heart-rate up. Lots of great suspense and action scenes. Not all things, were scary. There were some humor that audience might find funny, but they were few in between. I do like, how the movie pull on your heartstrings, however, I wish, the movie would able more time to sink in, before revealing, the big twists. One thing, the movie was really adequate; was the music. "Intelligence" by Alan Rickman & 'Help! I'm A Fish" by the band, Little Trees were alright, but none of them, were that catchy to me. Maybe, I just don't like Euro-pop. The voice talents were actually not that bad at all in this. All the child actors in this, work well. I'm still shock that Aaron Paul from 2010's TV Series, Breaking Bad, voiced the nerdy kid in this. It's so different, from the roles, he would be known for. Alan Rickman is also remarkable. He lent his gritty baritone to a cool and suave villain. Very impressed with his performance. Terry Jones was a great choice for Professor McKrill. His character is quite mad, and it works for him. Still, I really didn't like his singing voice. Way too much, silliness- there. The rest of the voice actors were fine, in their limited roles. I do like, how the movie has character development, and some importation good morals. Advocates teamwork, friendship, and "brain power" is a great message for the children. I like how the main courageous young hero has empathy, strength of character, and takes responsibility for his mistakes. His two companions are equally resourceful and the three work together to get themselves out of trouble. Overall: Engaging heroes, exciting action and all-around good animation, makes this a gill-ty pleasure for me. It will gained a cult-follow in the years to come, for sure.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magical in every way! Left me positively glowing! Everyone should dive in!
rh23220 October 2012
A musical adventure through an underwater microcosm. If you ever wondered what life is like if you morphed into a fish then this entertaining tale is for you. Who would have thought escaping your babysitter to go fishing could lead to the excitement and escapades that Fly and the gang get up to. I was hooked from the fishing scene onwards, submersed into a world of fun, fear and fantastic fish. Live and dream with the characters as they fight to overcome the underwater evil and recover their normal lives. The songs are the highlight: uplifting and inspiring, filling a heart with love and happiness. The characters are fun and easy to get along with and the exciting developments throughout the film leave you feeling attached; living the experience through them. Overall, a heart-warming family film, which has different levels for all ages to enjoy. It takes the best of modern cinema and musicals to create a truly sensational visual experience. It certainly made quite a splash with me.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than Finding Nemo? In terms of story definitely!
Ironwarrior8626 August 2010
Sure the Animation may not be on Par with Disney but why should Finding Nemo Overshadow this or any Disney Film for that matter? I have seen Finding Nemo and personally my reaction was "Meh". It is true that better animation would have been nice but to be honest that can easily be shrugged off considering a lot of films these days have great visuals and no noteworthy story... Having said that the Animation in this is very good considering the company that made it doesn't have as much money as Disney. The story in this is far better than quite a few Disney Films; yes some Disney films are very moving but I never could truly call them *original*. This on the other hand offered something completely new. I do have to say that some elements of this film are quite dark but that's perfectly fine; I'm not really a fan of things being sugarcoated and in itself it helps to make this all the more fun to watch.

The main story of the film kicks of when Three Children (Fly, Stella and Chuck) decide to go fishing but come across Marine Biologist Professor Mackrills Lab which is situated in a Boat Lab. A very interesting concept begins here too; reflecting on that the Polar Ice Caps might melt in 100 years MacKrill has developed a potion that turns people into fish so they can survive the rising sea level; and also an antidote to reverse the process. The Trouble begins when Stella drinks the potion and turns into a starfish and thinking she's an ordinary starfish; she gets thrown out the window into the sea however her transformation was caught on camera, so Fly, Chuck and Professor MacKrill head out onto the ocean in a desperate search. When a storm blows in, Fly realising the search is pointless, drinks the potion and jumps overboard, becoming a Californian Flyfish. The boat capsizes and because Chuck can't swim, he's forced to drink the potion to survive, becoming a jellyfish while The Professor, the boat and all of its contents sinks beneath the waves. However that is not the only problem a Great White Shark and a Pilot fish find the leaking antidote under the ocean and as well as being able to turn fish into humans if enough is drank; smaller doses of it grant the fish human intelligence and the Pilot Fish now calls himself Joe and sets about creating a civilisation of Intelligent Fish.The Idea of a Generation of Fish becoming intelligent by drinking a special antidote in this film is a concept you don't see very often. When the three children (fish?) are united along with a seahorse named Sasha; they cannot find the antidote but passing fish tell them about Joe and "The Magic Potion". Now the Children need to get that antidote because if they don't find it by tomorrow's sunset they will remain fish forever.... I shall let you discover the rest for yourself.

This film is an underrated masterpiece and deserves to be recognised along side Disney Films. The story is entirely original and doesn't feel like one of those; it's already been done before films. My only regret from watching this is why can't more animated films be like this? Joe's voice is really well done among other things.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Help! I'm watching a terrible movie.
ashdm20 October 2012
Undoubtedly the worst movie in Alan Rickman's career, "Help! I'm a Fish" utilises overused stereotypes and shoddy animation to tell a story that favours cutesy gimmicks over plot. For a story so basic, there are still many plot-holes that even the corny songs don't manage to help you forget them. The only redeeming features are that the songs are few and far between, and that the film is remotely short - and yet the ending still couldn't come quickly enough. I found myself hoping for a nihilistic, apocalyptic ending in which all of the main characters found themselves in a watery grave.

Even as a child, I detested this movie.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.