The Sixth Sense (1999) Poster

2,007 Reviews
Even if someone spoiled the ending for you, it's still worth seeing
rooprect1 September 2014
There are over 2000 IMDb reviews for "The Sixth Sense" so I don't think I can add anything that hasn't already been said. But in case someone has already spoiled the ending for you (like some dumbbutt did for me and the entire office back in 1999, causing me to avoid this movie for 15 years), never fear... it's still VERY MUCH worth watching.

The cool twist is, of course, the main punch of this film. But it's the kind of film you have to watch twice. Once for the story and once for the poetry. So to all my fellow film lovers who happen to have friends & coworkers with big mouths, this film is still a real treat on a poetic & artistic level.

M. Night Shyamalan is one of the few directors who deserves the hype and popularity he gets, at least for this film (I haven't seen any of his others but soon will). Everything is meticulously planned, every camera movement, every shadow, every color and every editing cut, almost to the point of obsessive mania. In the DVD extras he and his crew explain why they did everything the way they did; for example they do a lot of long takes because their philosophy was that rapid cuts tend to disrupt the viewer's thought process. So instead of showing a dialogue between two people in a volley of closeup cuts, the scene is done with 1 camera filming them from the side, slowly, almost hypnotically moving between both of them as it gets closer over the course of perhaps 2 minutes.

I could go on for ages about such scenes, but you probably get the point. If you enjoy the classic directors known for their careful & deliberate approach to filmmaking, directors like Orson Welles ("Citizen Kane"), Otto Preminger ("The Man with the Golden Arm"), Kurosawa ("Seven Samurai") or even the younger crop of great directors like Steven Soderbergh ("Traffic") and Alfonso Cuarón ("Children of Men"), you definitely have to check out this movie and other works of Shyamalan.
27 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still Very Good Even When You Know The Ending
ccthemovieman-18 November 2006
This was hyped big-time when it came out and, if memory serves me, was a good conversation piece among those who saw it at the theater.

I didn't see it for a few years afterward, on tape and now on DVD. It was very good but I didn't find it as "the greatest movie ever" as some did. It is an involving story, however, and I've come to appreciate it more with multiple viewings. I've seen it three times, the last one looking for mistakes to disprove the surprise ending....but couldn't find any. The filmmakers covered their tracks. However, a couple of scenes were misleading. Those who have seen this movie know what I'm talking about. For those who haven't, I'm not going to spoil it here.

I enjoyed both Bruce Willis and Haley Joel Osment as the two leads. Willis has had many action-packed, profane macho roles in his career but I like him best when he's low key, as he is in here (and in "Unbreakable," to name another fairly-recent movie) The story is slow-paced but it sure is not boring. In a way, it's nice to see a slower-paced film be a big hit, as this was.

Osment, meanwhile, is a terrific child actor, as he has proved in other films. He's simply one of the best of his young generation. He and Dakota Fanning are the two best child actors I've seen in many years.

This isn't just some supernatural-horror movie. It's a nice human interest story. There is one scene late in the movie in which Osment's mom is having a talk with her young boy in the car. It is an extremely touching scene that brings tears - a great moment in the film.
121 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliantly crafted and well worth seeing....unless some idiot told you THE secret!
planktonrules11 July 2011
I am making 100% sure I don't in any way reveal the surprise twist in this film--too many have and I think those people are evil. So, if you know THE twist, you'll probably not enjoy the film nearly as much when you first see it. But, if you haven't, it's a heck of an enjoyable film.

Haley Joel Osment delivers a truly amazing performance considering his age. He is THE reason the film works as well as it does and I wish the Oscar folks had given him some sort of special award to honor his great work. And, in addition, I can't believe I am saying this, but Bruce Willis and the director, M. Night Shyamalan, were at the top of their game as well. The other huge star here is the writing--and it was superb because it was so original, creative and the story bears many repeated viewings as each one reveals yet another layer of complexity.

By the way, while nominated for six Oscars, the movie somehow won none. Instead, the darkly cynical "American Beauty" carried off five of the trophies--though I really didn't think this winner was nearly as good a movie. Good, yes...but not great like "The Sixth Sense"....provided some moron didn't tell you THE secret.
36 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
indianajonze23 March 2000
The Sixth Sense is a brilliant film, plain and simple. It is unique in that it relies on imagination and psychology to scare you and make you think twice about the world around you. The director did a fabulous job constructing the imagery of the film, and I genuinely did not know about the ending until it was revealed. Quite a shock! The Sixth Sense goes in my book as the single greatest psychological horror film I have ever seen. Anyone who bashes it are simply not giving it a chance or don't fully realize the complex dialog and imagery around them. Brilliant
349 out of 417 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best films of 1999!
Xophianic3 February 2000
I am embarrassed to admit that the only reason I saw THE SIXTH SENSE when I did was because THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT was sold out. I hadn't seen BLAIR WITCH yet but I heard great reviews, and of course it was sold out when I went to see it. So my friend and I decided to see THE SIXTH SENSE instead. Not only did it turn out to be a better movie than BLAIR WITCH is, but it turned out to be one of my favorites.

THE SIXTH SENSE is about an award-winning child psychologist Dr. Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis), who is depressed because one of his former clients committed suicide because Crowe was unable to help him. Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment) is a child that has social problems frighteningly similar to Crowe's old client, so Crowe decides he will try to help this child in order to find redemption. Cole later reveals that this problem goes well beyond normal social problems. He claims to be able to see the ghosts of dead people, but no one else can.

The acting in THE SIXTH SENSE was superb. Olivia Williams does well as Anne Crowe, Willis' depressed wife, and Toni Collette does a great job as Lynn Sear, Osment's loving mother who is very concerned for her child. I think that Bruce Willis is at his very best in this movie, and I happen to be a fan of Willis. But I think that Haley Joel Osment stole the show. He did an amazing job, expressing more combined emotions that most adult actors have to deal with. He is definitely the best child actor I've ever seen, and I am glad that Bruce Willis let him have the spotlight.

The plot is very entertaining, though at times you may wonder where it is going. The ending is the best part of the movie, and it completely changes whatever you originally thought of the whole story line. I applaud the advertisers of THE SIXTH SENSE for not leaving a trace of the surprise ending in the previews of the movie (unlike DOUBLE JEOPARDY) and I certainly will not give it away in this comment. But I will say that it will completely surprise most all of you. (I think many that say that they saw it coming are probably lying.)

THE SIXTH SENSE is one of my favorite movies, and I think it is surely one of the best films of 1999. I hope it wins many Oscars this year, and I recommend that you go out and buy this movie now.
44 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most careful attention to detail
Steve Steckel25 October 2000
What makes this film so wonderful to watch is not simply the acting, or the terror it instills, or even the plot itself. It is the way in which the writer/director M. Night Shyamalan takes his vision from the page, and carefully crafts a tale that completely absorbs the viewer. As a result, we are treated to a wealth of emotion: fear, sadness, joy, confusion, and humor, each one a compliment to the other.

Haley Joel Osment delivers, plain and simple. By now, so much has been said about the young actor that any more would be repetition. Needless to say, his portrayal of Cole Sear is remarkable. His ability to communicate, through a simple look or gesture, the depths to which his character's soul has been thrust is what truly carries the film. He succeeds at this task beautifully, convincing us while never going over the top; indeed, by the time Cole utters his now-famous line, you not only believe him, you are chilled by the fact that Osment the actor may actually believe it himself.

Bruce Willis turns in a stellar performance, complimenting his young co-star while never overshadowing him. It is a tribute to his respect of the material in so much as he fine tunes his delivery to seem reserved, yet not too toned down.

The Sixth Sense is more than simply a wondrous two hours. It has, in effect, created a new genre of filmmaking... the film is neither drama, nor horror, nor action. Rather, it is a seamless blending of all three, a film that encompasses the best aspects of each genre, without being limited by the worst. Hollywood has taken notice of this, and one can only expect a series of poor imitations to follow. But at least they'll always have The Sixth Sense to guide the way.
253 out of 279 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
one of the greatest reveals of all time
SnoopyStyle7 September 2015
Child psychologist Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) celebrates an award win with his wife Anna (Olivia Williams). Deranged ex-patient Vincent Grey (Donnie Wahlberg) breaks in and shots Malcolm. Vincent then commits suicide. The next fall, Malcolm is treating distressed Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment) who lives with his single mom Lynn (Toni Collette). His suffering leaves him an outcast at school. After another episode leaves him in the hospital, he tells Malcolm his secret that he "sees dead people".

This is one of the best reveals in movie history. It's not simply a shocking twist. Anybody can write a random twist that aims to shock people. This twist is well-planned and constructed from the first moments of the film. Shyamalan lays out not only clues but the right amount of clues. It is a twist that people are unlikely to foresee but then beat themselves for not forseeing it. He gets the perfect balance.

The other question is whether this is a good movie without the twist. The great thing is that the intensity does not rely on the twist. HJO has the perfect wise innocence quality. It has great creepiness. It's a traditional ghost story and a well made one. The intensity ramps up as the ghosts reveal themselves. This would be one of the great horrors even without the twist.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A movie that will not be outclassed in its genre for years to come
jayp-54 December 1999
When I first saw The Sixth Sense, I didn't know what to expect. I guess I was looking forward to a good scary horror flick. I was very surprised. I found that the purpose for this movie was far greater than just trying to scare the audience. I found this movie was showing not only the emotions of fear, but also faith, commitment, sadness of loss, and love. The end was so surprising, I had to see it again. The second time I watched it, I did it from a totally different perspective (this is a very rare quality for any movie), and I enjoyed it just as much, or maybe even more. I also, as many viewers have, tried to detect fallacies in the story. I couldn't find one. In addition, for those that appreciate great soundtracks, the music only helps to heighten the experience of the movie.

I believe that a great movie is one that helps the viewer perceive life and the world differently. The Sixth Sense is one of those extraordinary movies that does that to me. This movie reflects on some difficult subjects that will make the viewer walk away asking eternal questions. Questions about death, about letting go, about eternal love and commitment, about the love between parent and child, and between husband and wife. Maybe I read too much into this very wonderful film, but I believe it will be difficult to find a movie that has touched on these subjects so poignantly and so well for years to come.
444 out of 487 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Masterpiece
finding-something22 March 2006
A perfect balance. Sad, but not self-pitying. Triumphant, but not cheesy. Frightening, but never grotesque. Shocking, but not gimmicky. Touching without being cheap. Visually it is stunning. There are some truly amazing shots, the attention to color is appreciated. Haley Joel Osment as Cole is extraordinary. What a promising career ahead of him. Bruce Willis, as a workaholic child psychologist, ought to be extremely proud of this, as it may be some of his best work. Tender, brooding, regretful, determined. Perfect. Toni Collette, is really phenomenal. I think she gets overlooked, but with any less talented actress, the film would have certainly suffered.

I watched this film again recently, absolutely certain I would have lost some of the awe I had for it since last watching it on the big screen seven years ago. I was pleasantly surprised. It was just as moving, eerie, and beautiful. An obvious top five film of all time for me. Quite the freshman effort from Mr. Shayamalan.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible
Spirit-210 December 1999
The Sixth Sense is one of those films that rarely happens these days. In other words, I knew so little about it before sitting in the cinema that it wasn't ruined before it started.

I don't want to ramble on about it so I'll just say... absolute perfection. An incredible story that had me and my friends gripped from start to finish. The twist in the tale was totally unexpected as well.

After it finished we sat through the whole of the credits and talked about how fabulous it was. If only more films were like this. I can't remember the last time we did that!

Congratulations to all involved in this masterpiece.
295 out of 346 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Film For Thinking People
Lechuguilla24 June 2004
A child psychologist, played by Bruce Willis, tries to help a troubled boy, played by Haley Joel Osment, who says he sees ghosts. This film could easily have been one of those dreadful fright night horror flicks played for cheap shocks, aimed at a juvenile mind. Instead, the film maker chose to tell a story of fragile human feelings, and hidden assumptions. "The Sixth Sense" thus appeals to a more mature audience.

This film is carefully constructed, and deliberately slow, so that we can absorb the excellent cinematography, and have a chance to find clues that will help us avoid preconceived ideas. But our assumptions are hard to overcome, and most of us are headed for a surprise ending, an outcome which is made possible as a result of superb film editing.

And the acting is well above average. I would not have cast Willis in the role of the fatherly psychologist, but he is more convincing than I would have predicted. Osment's performance is as good as I have ever seen for a child actor. And Toni Collette is totally convincing as the boy's mother. Both Osment and Collette deserved their Oscar nominations.

This film may, or may not, have a subtext. I found what could be one, but then I may have been reading too much into the story. Sensitive, thought provoking, and well crafted, "The Sixth Sense" is one of the better films of the last ten years.
16 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shyamalan's best film and the only film of his I consider a masterpiece
TheLittleSongbird6 January 2012
I have to say I am not a fan generally of M Night Shyamalan's films, but I absolutely loved The Sixth Sense. It is a beautifully made film with an afterlife that is anything but angels and harps, and the score has lots of subtlety and atmosphere to it. The script is chilling, intelligent and poignant and the story complete with a knockout twist ending(easily the best and only wholly believable ending of Shyamalan's movies) is simplicity at its finest. Shyamalan's direction is wonderfully controlled, which is exactly what the story needed. Haley Joel Osment gives perhaps his best performance here, though he's superb in AI too, while Toni Collette plays the troubled mum very convincingly and Bruce Willis is suitably quiet and reflective. Overall, a wonderful film and Shyamalan's best by a mile in my opinion. 10/10 Bethany Cox
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Death, Lfe, Fear and Hope
keval14 February 2000
Review: The Sixth Sense, Director: M. Night Shyamalam

As a film which has undoubtedly caught the eye of the film going world, it was difficult to avoid the surrounding hype and publicity. Luckily most of the people I had spoken to who had seen the film did not spoil the 'twist' at the end, which, although is rather a laboured point by now in reviews, certainly adds to the "Oh, I see now" factor.

The story revolves around a child psychologist played characteristically by Bruce Willis. I say characteristically, because although his portrayal is quite real, and at times touching, there always seems to be an unnerving 'Die Hard'-ness to his speech, lending the dialogue some comical qualities. Having said that, his overall attempts at revealing the vulnerable and disturbed psyche of his character achieve good results. As the psychologist, he is plagued by a particular event in his professional life which he perceives as his personal failure, and sets out to redeem himself by righting the wrong and wiping his failure from his conscience. This opportunity presents itself to him in the form of Cole Sear, played devastatingly well by Hayley Joel Osment. Cole has a problem, he sees dead people. To the outside world he is seen as a loner, a problem child, and has become increasingly isolated. Hence the need for a child psychologist. Once we have been introduced to these two central players, we are taken on a journey of discovery, as both of these characters in the space of the film will learn a great deal about each other, themselves and human nature.

It is this particular point which the film attempts to address so strongly - human communication. That when this breaks down, an inevitable cycle of interpersonal destruction takes course, sometimes irreversible. This is framed within the context of a superbly told ghost story. The sheer truthfulness and honesty with which the concept of fear is expressed by all the characters, is breathtaking. Cole's' experience of the walking dead, appearing out of nowhere, Malcolm's fear of a deteriorating marriage, and Cole's' mother's fear relating to her own existential angst. All of these are played against the backdrop of the often difficult but finally warm relationship between Cole and Malcolm. Eventually, and against the odds, each character displays courage and bravery as they face up to their existential and supernatural fears.

There are one or two niggling problems plot wise, but in a film where the overall atmosphere created is one which encompasses death, fear, and finally hope, it is impossible not to overlook incongruencies. Superb direction, acting and ambience lead me to think that M. Night Shyamalan has really succeeded in telling a chillingly touching story about the triumph of the human spirit.

February 14, 2000 Harshad C. Keval
96 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unforgettable ghost story
Mr-Fusion28 May 2022
A horror movie with an inventive premise, a sensitive marital drama, and a psychological puzzler; "The Sixth Sense" combines all of these into a deeply affecting movie. Haley Joel Osment (in a justifiably star-making turn) personifies child trauma, and his pain is absolutely heartbreaking. But this is also peak Bruce Willis working with a clockwork script and expert direction. The performances in this film are exceptional.

Over the years I've made the mistake of reducing "The Sixth Sense" down to its twist ending (which, to be fair, is electrifying) but that is a gross underestimation on my part. There is far more to it than that, and it holds up admirably after so many years.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm not one to watch a movie twice...
Sterling521 September 2008
...but I had to watch this one again, right afterward, because I needed to go back and watch for clues. Honestly, and I won't give away the 'ah ha!' moment, but I knew that he was... well, you know, what he was. What I didn't get was how that was possible, or how the interaction with the others that I saw... so I had to go back and watch the movie AGAIN, just to make sure there were no errors in the filming of it. Sure enough, I found none that I could call an error, and was totally blown away with how this was filmed. I am a writer, and I also adapt novels for scripts, and when something like this comes along, that something that just totally grabs me and says, "This is something special... this is not the ordinary..." well, I am impressed. I aspire to write something that can really AH HA! someone in this way. I recommend the movie, highly.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Sixth Sense
auuwws1 January 2021
One of the best psychological horror films that I have seen, the film's story was excellent and interesting, the embarrassment in the film was good, the script and the acting were the best bad in the film, especially the child's acting, which was very impressive, the body of his character with distinction, I could not guess the toast of the end and was dazzled by the great end
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You'll be knocked for six
Joanna Kelly26 November 1999
This is an incredibly powerful film. Awash with emotion but never stooping to sentimentality this is the story of one frightened little boy you will never forget. All your worst childhood nightmares: the noises in the attic, the intruder in your house, that cold breath that makes your hair stand on end are here and then some.

Bruce Willis gives one of the best performances of his career as the child psychologist trying to get himself back on track after a violent encounter with a former patient and it would be a crime if Haley Joel Osment were overlooked at coming awards ceremonies for his powerful performance here. It has been a long time since a child actor displayed such maturity in a role. Cole's innocent little face hidden behind his absent father's large-framed spectacles betrays a child coming to terms with a terrifying secret in the only way he can.

You don't need to go and see this film again to realise why the end is such a surprise but you will rush out to watch it again purely because it's an almost perfect example of it's genre.

Laugh, cry, jump a mile out of your seat, sigh with relief - but not too early... We did!
285 out of 341 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the films of the Nineties
Readster8 December 1999
This is perhaps my film of the decade so far. The reasons are too numerous to go into in such a short critique. Surely there have not been too many films that can take you through the range of emotions that the Sixth Sense does. The prime emotion; fear, is a difficult emotion to generate in a modern audience that has seen it all before, but this film succeeds where others fail, praying on your imagination and generating suspense from subtle devices rather than blatant horror.

It is such a relief that the performances of Willis and the excellent Osment live up to an excellently directed quality storyline. I will be disappointed if the youngster doesn't receive at least an academy nomination.

I seldom go to the cinema twice to watch a film, in fact I cannot remember when I have done it before. Tonight I am taking an old friend to see this film as it will be a tragedy if he doesn't see it on the big screen. He has heard so much about it that he is reluctant to go, as I am when something is over-hyped. Just for a change though, here is a film that lives up to its billing and has you thinking about it for weeks to come. As for the twist at the end? Well it totally disorientated me, my mind spinning back throughout the whole film. A fantastic punchline to my film of the year.
202 out of 250 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange but ultimately rewarding
SKG-225 August 1999
First of all, I've read a few comments about the pace of this movie being too slow. I sort of agree with that, but I think it's refreshing to have a movie which takes its time and builds things with subtlety(although here, as I said before, I think it took a little TOO much time). And I think it was realistic at how long it took for the boy to learn to trust the doctor and for how long it took the doctor to discover what was really going on.

Having said all that, in addition to the pace, there were some times when I felt a little queasy, like I wasn't sure what exactly the movie was trying to say. At other times, I was caught up in it, especially in the performances of Willis and Osment. Then came the famous twist ending, and I will tell you that I was quite surprised, and it's making me turn the movie over and over again in my mind. I probably will have to see this again. Overall, while I don't think it's the best of the year, it is a good film.
57 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Remember When Shyamalan Was Like This
parthaykulkarni3 March 2021
Most people today criticize M. Night Shyamalan movies. That's probably going to happen when you release movies such as Avatar: The Last Airbender or After Earth, but it wasn't like this at the turn of the century. When The Sixth Sense was released, it was kind of a big deal, for good reason. The movie is not only well-directed, well-written, well-acted, well-edited, etc., but it's a classic movie and it will stay in my memory for a long time.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever ghost story
bob the moo15 February 2002
Award winning child psychologist Malcolm Crowe is confronted and shot by an ex-patient. Years later he has recovered from this experience and begins to treat a child who suffers from similar problems. The young boy, Cole, claims to see dead people and requires Crowe's constant attention - to the detriment of his marriage. With Cole becoming increasingly scared and withdrawn, Crowe is his last hope.

This film is an old-fashioned ghost story, replacing gore with a genuine spooky atmosphere. The story is deceptively simple and plays almost innocently for the whole film until Cole's visions are revealed. The true genius of the story isn't revealed until the final twist when we see how we have been duped by a good director! Even without the twist, this is still a good film - the story of Cole is well done and is chilling and frightening sometimes. However it is also quite human, as it is essentially the story of Cole overcoming his fears.

Willis delivers a careful, understated performance. His choices in recent years have been remarkably good (with some exceptions). This is just yet another great role from a man who's career looked like it was dying after "striking distance" and "colour of night". He hits just the right note here. I'm not a big fan of child actors as a rule, but Osment is really good here - never falling into the "cute child" category. I don't know if he should have got the Oscar, but he's still good. The rest of the cast are good, but really it's the central relationship between Willis and Osment that makes this film.

The plot may have some holes in (some ghosts hang around where they died, one comes to find Cole etc), but overall this is very good. The director weaves an interesting story that stands on its own, but makes it even more memorable by challenging how we accept and assume things in movies by delivering a great, clever twist at the end.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Classic
aimless-4628 April 2008
"The Sixth Sense" (1999) is generally regarded as a ghost story and that is what it seems to be during the first viewing. There is also an obvious subtext about the nature of our fears as well as themes concerning courage and communication; elements often incorporated into the genre. Most viewers will be conscious of this stuff during the first viewing but will mostly be focused on sorting out the story and processing the intriguing conclusion.

But with subsequent viewing(s) the fear factor diminishes and you become aware that this is not a ghost story so much as it is a film about grief; particularly the grief than comes from regret. With this realization comes the awareness that the real power of the film comes from a viewer's subconscious connection with this underlying theme. The object of the film is far more than just giving the audience a scare although it does a first-class job of doing just that. It can also alter your perception of the process of both living and dying.

The spirits that seek out young Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment) do so because there is something they regret doing or not doing during their lives; something that will ease the grief of their passing (for both them and their loved ones). You have Krya's little sister asking Cole if Krya will come back and Cole answering "not anymore", after he has helped Krya.

And then you have the grieving Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) and his grieving wife Anna (Olivia Williams): "Once upon a time there was this person named Malcolm. He worked with children. He loved it. He loved it more than anything else. And then one night, he found out that he made a mistake with one of them. He couldn't help that one. And he can't stop thinking about it, he can't forget. Ever since then, things have been different. He's not the same person that he used to be. And his wife doesn't like the person that he's become. They barely speak anymore, they're like strangers. And then one day Malcolm meets this wonderful little boy, a really cool little boy. Reminds him a lot of the other one. And Malcolm decides to try and help this new boy. 'Cause he feels that if he can help this new boy, it would be like helping that other one too."

The climatic scene in the car between Cole and his mother (Toni Collette) ranks up with cinema's all-time best.

Then again, what do I know? I'm only a child.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fair enough, but not the work of genius some claim
pfgpowell-17 March 2011
I hate to be a party pooper, but I really can't see what all the fuss is about. The Sixth Sense is an entertaining film, better than some, not as good as others, but it is most certainly not the masterpiece many seem to make it out to be. (Nor, for that matter, is it as bad as many here suggest.) If anything it is an intriguing story, and not original at that - read The Third Policeman - which is realised in a somewhat perfunctory way by Shaymalan. If anything it could have been done better. When I was considering my view of the film, the word 'ponderous' occurred to me more than once, and I think that is about right. The Sixth Sense needed a more delicate touch and, well, it should have been spookier. Having said all that the young lad who portrays young Cole, the boy who can see the dead, give an outstanding performance, and for once an American director has successfully resisted the temptation to make a child more cloying than a mug of treacle. His mother also does well as a harassed single mother, and Bruce Willis shows that there is more to his ability than shooting guns and posing in sweaty T shirts. But I have to repeat: The Sixth Sense is great for a night in but not the earth-shattering Meisterwerk others claim it to be. If anything, there is any number of plot holes which become rather glaring once the film has finished and overall it doesn't quite stack up as it should. But what the hell: that would be serious is it came anyway close to being a work of genius. As it doesn't, those plot holes don't really matter.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a thriller in the real sense of the word
lee_eisenberg19 October 2005
Dr. Malcolm Crowe (Bruce Willis) is a Philadelphia psychiatrist meeting with Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment), a boy who can - OK, I'll say it this one last time - see dead people. While too many horror flicks have relied on gore, this one relies on the subconscious, and other things that we don't realize. And of course, there's the ending. I literally did not see that coming, although there were a number of clues throughout the movie. All that I can say is, you are going to have your mind blown. M. Night Shyamalan truly created an impressive piece of cinema history here, and of his later movies, only "Unbreakable" came close to equalling this one's quality.

On another note, I think that it was appropriate that "The Sixth Sense" came out in 1999, when I was 15. It was named by Entertainment Weekly as one of the many movies that year that revolutionized the movie industry (along with "Election", "The Blair Witch Project", "American Beauty" and "Being John Malkovich"). Similarly, in 1967, when my parents were 15, movies such as "In the Heat of the Night", "Bonnie and Clyde" and "The Graduate" - all revolutionizing the movie industry - were released. Some things just work out perfectly.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where did this Bruce Willis go?
damianphelps28 September 2020
Revisiting this film succeeded in making me remember how good BW can be...and how much crap he has been making of late!!!

This is an awesome movie. Creative and unique with a solid story to tell.

Shyamalan has shown he can be a little hit and miss with his films but the Sixth Sense is absolutely a hit.

An outstanding movie experience that should be on your must watch list!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.