The Crow: Stairway to Heaven (TV Series 1998–1999) Poster

Too bad it's only on once a week
SodaGuy14 March 1999
I think this show is one of the best on television. Mark Dacascos is a young and refreshing actor that proves he is not just an action star who survives by starring in no story action films. Dacascos branches outside of what he is used to in order to play a reincarnated soul of dead man brought back by a crow in order to set things right after his girlfriend is killed. The ongoing battle of good vs. evil continues as Eric Draven is brought back to life to set things right. Mark Dacascos is great in the television version of the film that would turn out to be Brandon Lee's last. Every week, I can't wait to see the next episode because it is a unique series in that the writers come up with new stuff to write about. I like how the series goes back and forth between the world as it currently is and the way it was when Eric Draven and his girlfriend Shelly lived in happier times. Everything about this show from, storylines, music, and setting scream HIT!!!!! From its star Mark Dacascos to the supporting cast which includes the police detective whom he helps out by catching criminals; this series deserves to be seen during the week when everyone has the chance to see how great it is.
16 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A refreshing television series with heart
Dr. Michael Hollywood2 September 2006
This was one of the best shows on television. Mark Dacascos is a young and refreshing actor that proves he is not just an action star who survives by starring in no story action films. Dacascos branches outside of what he is used to in order to play a reincarnated soul of dead man brought back by a crow in order to set things right after his girlfriend is killed.

I can't wait to see the next episode because it is a unique series in that the writers come up with new stuff to write about. I enjoy how the series goes back and forth between the world as it currently is and the way it was when Eric Draven and his girlfriend Shelly lived in happier times. Everything about this show from, story lines, music, and setting is outstanding!!!!! From its star Mark Dacascos to the supporting cast which includes the police detective whom he helps out by catching criminals; this series deserves to be seen during the week when everyone has the chance to see how great it is.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A quality series
michaelsibley41630 June 2004
"Crow: Stairway to Heaven" was one of the best television shows I have seen on television. With his role in this television series, Mark Dacascos, a young and refreshing actor, proved he was not just an action star who survives by starring in no story action films.

Dacascos is great in the television version of the film that would turn out to be Brandon Lee's last. I couldn't wait for each week to come because it was a unique series in which the writers came up with great new stuff to write about for each episode. I enjoyed how the series went back and forth between the current world and the way it was when Eric Draven and his girlfriend Shelly lived in happier times.

Everything about this show from, storylines, music, and setting scream HIT!!!!! From Mark Dacascos to the supporting cast which includes the police detective whom he helps out by catching criminals; this series deserved to be seen.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An interesting blend of action and the supernatural.
Kevin-11-223 February 1999
I haven't seen the film with Brandon Lee, but I caught this show while surfing Friday night primetime in Canada. This is about a man named Eric Draven who is killed with his girlfriend, but mysteriously resurrected to "set things right." The episodes aren't as moody as the movie, and take quite a different turn. The events, as to be expected, are continuing adventures, in which Eric tries to find out how he can go back to the afterlife. Mark Dacascos is great in the role of Eric Draven. He has that devil-may-care look that is perfect for The Crow, and the martial arts choreography looks fantastic (without considering that this is a television budget). The stories are always action packed with a touch of mystery in the supernatural. This is a great show with a very cool concept, and I hope it keeps going.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
STH and Dacascos Stand on Their Own
LaFmeCIE20 February 1999
First there was the cult following for the Highlander Movie. The sequels were not up to the originals. The series followed. People had a fit. But Adrian Paul (and every recurring character on there) changed everything. He IS the Highlander. The show took on a life of its own, and it certainly didn't confine itself to the boundaries of the movie.

Next there was La Femme Nikita. Point of No Return followed in the US and it was a pale comparison. Then the series followed. Peta Wilson (& Roy Dupuis and the rest of the excellent cast) changed everything. Now she IS Nikita. This show also soared way above and beyond where the movie couldn't go.

And finally, there was the classic Crow movie which gave the world a short glimpse of a brightly shining comet that soared across the sky. His name was Brandon Lee and may he rest in peace. Vincent Perez followed with a different (and really quite decent) turn of the crow that few liked, more out of respect to Brandon than anything. Immortality and all that. There was something missing, just like with Highlander 2 and 3, and with Point of No Return. Then along came the series The Crow:Stairway to Heaven. Slowly, because yes, there are big shoes to fill. A legacy to continue. And a fanbase who is fanatically loyal to Brandon Lee. Mark Dacascos is changing things once again. Bryce Zabel and Marc Gomes, and Katie Stuart and everyone else are good at what they do, and the show is starting to gel in the middle of the first season. They honored the story, while keeping different avenues open. Some things have changed, some things have stayed the same. It IS a good show. It is the BEST show on TV besides LFN, right now. No one could fill Brandon's shoes, but my friends, no one can fill Mark's either. He is a real talent. A graceful, expressive man. And a master of martial arts. So put your comparisons aside. Like Highlander and La Femme Nikita, The Crow:Stairway to Heaven has a life of its own. Brandon would have wanted it that way. You can't go back. It's not the movie, it wasn't meant to be. You have to go beyond the boundaries, just like it does. They have good writing, and good atmosphere, and good music and good acting and good action sequences. What more do you want? Let The Crow Fly.....
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
excellent TV series mark dacascos does a brilliant draven
teresafearne10 July 2004
This TV series version of the crow explains a little better how The Crow comes to be and what his motivation is.There's action tenderness,while Draven searches for the one thing he wants the most...to be reunited with his lost love Shelley...A must for the true crow fans .....I give it two thumbs up....Brandon Lee would be proud of Mark Dacascos's portrayal of Eric draven. There's a great support cast too. Sabine Karsinti plays Shelley Erics love,Mark Gomes plays erics friend the cop.This series has something for everyone.I highly recommend this if your a crow fan.Mark Dacascos gives Eric Draven a sense of humor which makes for great entertainment. They end the series beautifully....
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Once you get passed the differences of what you know, it's a really great show
Mrcheeks9 October 2003
The show is basically a different take on the first Crow movie. The storyline varies to different degrees at times but they same characters and essential storyline including the murders of Draven and his girlfriend are the same. Draven wakes up to the reality his girlfriend is dead and as far as the world is concerned so is he. He has been sent back to take vengeance on those that murdered them, but in this version there is a twist. When vengeance is taken on those that took away his life and girlfriend shellys, there is a consequence that he must face and it is brought to him by those he has punished. The twist in plot took some getting used to but it still ran well with the first movies. Draven finds himself sent back here to set things right for others and more so to stop them from going wrong, usually being introduced to their stories when the characters are halfway there already. Draven does get SOME vengeance but in turn learns that no matter what he does he can not change what happened and retribution against those that so wronged him will be payed in the next life. One reviewer says this show isn't worth watching for "The Serious fan of The Crow" because of the differences from the movie, but evidently this person isn't one of them. In the original storyline in the 1st comic and book Draven and his girlfriend are murdered by a pack of Satanic bikers along side a desolate country road after they break down and are in turn stranded. The new installment of The Crow movies is based on this story from what I have read about it and hopefully won't be as disappointing as the 2nd movie and well as far as the 3rd goes it's not even worth mentioning!! If your a true fan of The Crow this series is well worth watching. Not every episode was great but plenty were and all were at the least good. Plenty of guest stars and some really great bands are in the show and soundtrack. Just forgive Mark Dacascos' scenes when he is on stage playing and singing. They wanted to stay true to the character so it was worked into the show but it was obvious to myself, a musician and anyone really, he was given a crash course in guitar and even less in singing. The show aired at around midnight or so, I don't specifically remember and was canceled all too abruptly. I know Dacascos wasn't real big on doing a TV series and would bet he was the main reason it was canceled. When he asked to close the series with a made for TV movie he was refused and we were left hanging. Way to go you Hollywood jerkoffs! The money's more important than the art! Anyway, it's definitely worth watching if you have the opportunity. Worth adding to the movie collection for that matter.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Could it get any better?
immortal_stranger9 December 2000
I was thirteen when I saw the movie with Brandon Lee. I loved it immediately. I liked the way Eric adapts from a musician to a highly decorated killer. When the sequel was released to video I hired it out straight away. I was sort of disappointed. So, when the series was released I did not expect it to be good in any form. Boy, was I wrong! I do not think any one could have filled Lee's boots better than Dacascos. I was a fan of Dacascos before this was done but this just made him an even better actor in my book. I was impressed with the way the writers went into more depth with Draven's personal life, eg: the way he doesn't eat or sleep, how close the relationship between Eric and Shelley really was. Katie Stuart also plays Sarah quite well.

Another thing that makes the series so good is the way the fight scenes are choreographed. The movie had very few martial arts sequences (in comparison to Brandon's other films and the series). But the series then goes on to explain how a musician is so good at martial arts.

The Crow:Salvation has not yet been released in Australia as yet, but it will be interesting to watch. If it is anything like The first film and the series it'll rock!!!
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If ever a series had everything...
Nozz13 January 2000
I admire the series for managing to include and balance everything: buddy action, romance, music, special effects, humor, mystery, a strong underlying morality, and rarest of all on TV a deep, authentic sadness. The worst episodes are the hey-let's-add- another-gimmick episodes. The best are the ones that stick to the implications of the basic premise. I understand that production was suspended because of a change of corporate ownership or something, and I hope someone can get the act back together for more episodes without losing quality or momentum. The development that ended the last episode was something that, with good writing, could have propelled a fine continuation.
An Interesting Twist
Heath Lantz16 September 1999
While NOTHING can replace James O'Barr's comic book/graphic novel The Crow, I did find the movies and television series very entertaining. At first, I didn't think I'd like The Crow: Stairway To Heaven, but I enjoyed all 22 episodes immensely. People have said it rips off the first movie. I disagree. With TV guidelines being different, the writers have added some new twists to The Crow mythos more interesting. I particularly liked how the television series focused on how Eric Draven does or does not do everyday things like eat, sleep, and pay rent. THAT is something that was NEVER done in the movies.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
IT ROCKS!!! IT'S AN AWESOME SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marnie-64 April 1999
It's a really good show. Mark Dacascos(Eric) is really hot and a good actor. It tells the story good and always has something new in it .It's starting to get away from the original plot though. Some people think that it's an insult to Brandon Lee but I don't think it is at all.
I love it!!
RMS-217 March 1999
I try not to miss a single episode! I never saw the movie with Brandon Lee, but I think this show will go far. Mark Dacascos is superb as the Crow. His martial art abilities are outstanding I haven't seen anyone move like that since Bruce Lee. Keep up the great work, and I'll keep watching
Very good show
TonyK-523 February 1999
Expands on the mythology from the movies and the comics very well. Makes the legend of the Crow more interesting by making the Crow's mission one of redemption rather than simple vengeance. Dacascos does an excellent job of bringing the latest incarnation of the Crow to life, and this show has a good supporting cast. If you haven't seen the show yet, I recommend it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Should have replaced the movie sequels
alexegz3029 June 2006
(Spoiler alert!)

I was not excited when I learned of the show coming to television, but after they closed off the initial story arc and continued with new material, it took off and had the potential to be a great series. Separating The Crow as an alternate entity was brilliant and having Shelly remaining on the bridge to the afterworld held the original premise of the show.

Also, Demascos was terrific as Eric. He maintained the look Branden Lee originated, and also made the martial arts natural and well-integrated into the action sequences.

I only wish the series would get released in DVD so I could see the episodes again.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great!
Askani24 February 1999
I have noticed that Brandon Lee's Eric Draven seemed to be very distant, very ghost like. He would talk in riddles and just had a supernatural demeanor or presence about him. You would get a cold shiver down your back just by looking at him and talking with him, even without him using his abilities. Mark Dacascos' Eric Draven seems much more human. He seems like a human being who has been given supernatural powers and is trying to figure them out. Brandon Lee knew what he had to do, while Mark Dacscos has to discover it on his journey. I like this series and the new direction that it has taken. People see one episode and then they judge it. They then miss out on the new mythology that is created i.e. The Crows & The Snakes constant struggle. I reserved judgement until I had seen a number of episodes and I think it is well written with great new ideas and new conflicts i.e. Eric Draven being arrested for Shelly Webster's murder. It's a great show that I will watch every week!
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's not the movie, but it certainly is not bad
Matthew Surprenant17 February 2008
First off, I know that many people frown upon the very notion of Crow sequels, prequels, or spinoffs. Who can blame them? The more there are, the less intense it feels. The original movie made the audience appreciate Eric because only a few, special people, could become a Crow. The more spinoffs we see, the more it feels like a new Crow is an everyday occurrence.

Now for the point. I enjoy the Crow series for what it is. I saw the series far before I ever saw the first movie...I was already a fan of Eric before the movie, so when I finally saw the original, it blew my mind. I loved it. However, the Crow series does have it's ups and downs. The ups being a sense of style, dark humor, decent acting, and a conclusive storyline to every episode. Not to mention a female Crow from the comics makes an appearance, as well as Skull Cowboy (played by a guy who oddly reminds me of Chris Rock). The bad: the inclusion of supernatural villains called "snakes" and other killers coming back from the dead, some toned down action scenes, a lighter atmosphere, and some derivative characters...like Eric's brother, etc. Other things are merely differences, like actors and the inclusion of a portal rather than rising from the grave. Not to mention the fact that the Crow hangs around trapped on earth for almost a year...then the series got cut due to a buyout by Universal.

The show is fairly hit and miss. Some episodes you will enjoy, others you could do without. The first 2 episodes were weak, but it built up enough to make a solid series for those who want something somewhere between the first and second movie. It beats the 3rd and 4th quality wise, and has enough intense violence and black humor to keep fans intrigued. I wouldn't be surprised if the amount of violence was part of the reason it was cancelled by Universal, because ratings were good. Go in with an open mind, and you should be able to enjoy most of the episodes.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fun time all too shortlived
jalenn4 June 2002
The show takes the storyline of the first movie but has Eric remain "alive" in the interests of putting other wrongs right and helping those who cannot help themselves. Cheesy at times but Mark Dacascos' superior physical ability and charisma save the show. I suspect it would have been easy to have focused a great deal on the action part of Eric's character but Dacascos does a great job of giving Eric Draven emotional depth. The three regulars (Gomes, Stuart and Dacascos) have good chemistry and play well off each other. Eric's brief scenes with Shelley stay true to the idea of theirs being a great love, giving the show a good balance of action and romance. It's unfortunate that the show was ended so abruptly; a made-for-tv movie or straight to video release that resolved the issues brought up in the cliffhanger finale to the first season would be appreciated by many fans of the shortlived series.
perfect!
white-wolf26 October 2000
An absolutely great series for those who like the perfect mix of fiction, emotion and great fights. Mark Dacascos as series lead is the perfect match as Eric Draven in the interpretation of the series.

To understand the whole series, the prime episode is definitely necessary.
Brilliant!
Hannah-3223 March 2000
I think the series is really good. I'm glad it is Mark Dacascos playing Eric Draven because I think he is a good actor. I know some people who LOVE the film The Crow but think that the series isn't any good, but that is only because they think that Mark Dacascos is trying to be Brandon Lee which I don't think is true. Because even if he wanted to (which he doesn't), he wouldn't be able to. There is only one Brandon Lee. I don't think there will ever be anyone as good, it is a real shame he passed away.

But anyway I think that if you like the film you should watch the series. It has good fighting scenes in it, and also some very funny parts in it.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome movie... a thriller from beginning to end!!!
mia :)21 November 1999
I didn't see the Brandon Lee version but I swear nobody could have done this role any better than Mark Dacascos... he is superb in this role. The twists and turns in this story make for never a dull moment. And the eerie twists make it a spell binding mystery.
Great!!!
DebbieB-27 May 1999
I haven't seen a show this great in such a long time. The Crow, the movie is totally different and separate from Stairway to Heaven, but I love them both, because they are different. Stairway to Heaven is written so beautifully, it is so creative. It appeals to many different people on many different levels, it is such an intelligent show. Mark Dacascos is an excellent actor. He adds a very unique, but necessary character to the show. Everyone involved in this show does an outstanding job.
Love this series!
Mystique-318 April 1999
I have seen every single one of the 18 episodes released so far and I absolutely love this series! It was seeing the series that inspired me to rent and then buy the original movie, so to me The Crow is not Brandon Lee or Mark Dacascos, it is Eric Draven. What people have to realize is that the movie and the series are two separate things... you can not possible compare them. They are both excellent in their own way. I can't wait for the next episode! Mark Dacascos is a great martial artist and actor, you should see his movies!Bravo to The Crow STH!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fighting is the real deal
Richard Peplinski2 May 2001
Tired of actors who look off-balance and rigid while doing elementary fight scenes? Mark Dacascos brings a fluidity and balance to both the fight scenes and his normal motions that lend his character credence. I find it hilarious watching TV or movies where the lack of natural balance of the actor makes it difficult to suspend disbelief when he engages in activities that require controlled body motion. When the stunt double is obvious, not through build, or looks, but rather because he or she demonstrates a gracefulness that the actor doesn't possess. The show itself is fine, not something I religiously tune in to, but entertaining enough. What makes it most enjoyable is the fact that Mark Dacascos sells being The Crow through his body language and attitude.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Heaven sent
MichaelOates10 March 2004
"Crow: Stairway to Heaven" was one of the best television shows I have seen on television. It is unfortunate that it was cancelled. Mark Dacascos is a young and refreshing actor that proves he is not just an action star who survives by starring in no story action films.

4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this