Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (2003) Poster

A Beautiful Animated Odyssey
EmperorNortonII6 March 2004
"Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" is a wonderful animated feature by Dreamworks. This under-rated movie was very well done with eye-catching visuals and an intriguing story. The scenes of the battle against the sea monster, and the visit to Eris' realm in Tartarus are particularly artistic. Granted, the legend of Sinbad may have been taken far from its "Arabian Nights" roots to go more towards Greek mythology. But all the mythic elements make the story a thing of wonder. Personally, I think every mythology and folklore canon in the world has some connections with each other, so who's to say that Middle Eastern folklore doesn't share any similarities with Greek mythology? Anyway, "Sinbad" truly deserves to be seen and enjoyed!
49 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Kids loved it. So did I
wyldwing7 July 2003
Took the kids to see Sinbad. We all enjoyed it. I thought the animation was great. Just because it isn't Toy Story 3 doesn't mean it isn't good. In fact the shapeshifter was just amazing.

There are a couple points in the movie where the dialogue seems to take longer than necessary, but overall it's action packed.

My kids are 3 and 6. They loved Nemo, they loved this.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Gorgeous and astounding cartoon film with an outstanding and fantastic starring
ma-cortes4 January 2005
The movie concerns on Simbad , 1001 nights' hero . The sailor of legend is framed by the goddess Eris for the theft of the Book of Peace , as an object with extraordinary power has been stolen and Simbad must retrieve it but if he doesn't obtain it , his friend prince will be beheaded . Simbad goes out with his ship and the pirates henchmen and as stowaway the prince's girlfriend . They will ought to face off several dangers : storms , ominous mermaids , deep chasms , giant animals and must travel to a realm at the end of the world to retrieve it and save the life of his childhood friend Prince .

In the picture there are mythology , humor , rip-roaring , adventures , swashbuckling and it's pretty bemusing . It's a combo of computer generator and hand-drawn animation by Patrick Gilmore and Tim Johnson with voices from Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta Jones . The movie mingles spectacular cartoon with FX computer generator as when the heroes are taking on monsters because these are made by computer . The confrontation amongst the starring and the giant bird named Roc (also appears in ¨The seventh voyage of Simbad¨ directed by Nathan Juran) is mesmerizing and fascinating , it's the best part of the film . In the movie there is a homage to Ray Harryhausen because the monsters are similar , though here are made by computer and on Ray's films are by means of Dynamation and stop-motion . Film obtained much success likeness to previous motion picture ¨Treasure planet¨ , both of them achieved quite money at the box office.

Good production by Jerry Katzemberg , David Geffen who along with Steven Spielberg constituted Dreamworks . Harry Gregson Williams' musical score is atmospheric and enjoyable . The fable will appeal to fantasy fans and adventure cartoon buffs . Rating : Very nice , well catching .
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Very imaginative !
ghostofdaniel18 July 2004
I know and love all the movies with the famous "Sinbad" (from the Ray Harryhausen time). But I find the recent remakes (TV production) are always boring because off the lack of imagination from the directors.

So I hesitated a long time before watching this one. (above all with a "DISNEY" movie ! I feared to fall asleep.)

But I love this one ! The story is absolutely new, surprising and imaginative. The runtime's movie is short, so no time to bore. The charactere way of talking is really fun and modern, with hilarious quotes. My favourite one is when the Sinbad's ship arrives at the end of the sea, and someone says : "Well, at least, that proves earth is flat !" (LOL !)

Not a masterpiece, but a really good entertainment !

20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I totally loved it. The animation was beautiful and the storyline interesting enough. I would see it again.
gipsone10 July 2003
I was surprised that Sinbad was seen as a failure. I loved the animation and the storyline. It was a PG rated animated movie, what should be expected? The drawing was on time, the voices were great and the adventure was mesmerizing. I would take my grandchildren to see it again just as an excuse to view this cinematic treasure again.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
A fantastic family movie
jodierose6 July 2003
The animation graphics were brilliant, nice and big monsters for the family to enjoy. A bit of comedy thrown in there for the adults. A great one to see if you are a animation fan. This movie is definately a keeper.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Sinbad is a charming animated film with the DreamWorks edge
Dean Kish27 June 2003
Sinbad the Sailor, probably the greatest anti-hero of the Arabian Knights, has seen many incarnations over the years. This time a new animated film from DreamWorks delves into the myth with some celebrity voices in tow.

Sinbad (Brad Pitt) is a happy pirate bent on retiring to Fiji after stealing the legendary Book of Peace. The only problem is that his childhood friend Proteus (Joseph Fiennes) stands in his way. Sinbad finds himself in a conundrum when he fails to obtain the book and ends up following his friend back to his palace where he is introduced to Proteus's future wife Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones).

When Sinbad is eventually framed by Eris (Michelle Pfeiffer), the Goddess of Chaos for stealing the Book of Peace, Proteus defends his friend for the crime. Proteus puts his life on the line so that Sinbad can sail into uncharted territory and retrieve the book. Unbeknownst to Sinbad, Marina tags along. Can Sinbad wrestle with a goddess and get through uncharted territory in time to save his friend?

Sinbad has always been an epic character and one of my favorites from classic literature and myth. He has inspired so many other multi-layered adventure characters over the years. I was first exposed to his adventures when I was a child and obsessed with seeing more movies from legendary creature creator, Ray Harryhausen. The Sinbad trilogy from Harryhausen still has a soft spot in my plethora of movie favorites. I loved the magic and vastness of worlds that inhabited Sinbad as a character.

It was that knowledge and foundation that made me so excited about seeing a new incarnation of a classic character. I had the same reaction when Disney re-invented `Tarzan' in their animated film. I was half-hoping that there would be a great musical score like that of Disney's `Tarzan' or `Aladdin' but what I did end up seeing wasn't your typical animated cartoon. That was a whole new blessing unto itself.

DreamWorks's Sinbad was definitely a whole re-envisioning of the character but also quite a bold project on its own. I loved how the film seamlessly melded standard animation and computer graphics. There hasn't been an animated film yet that has been able to make such a successful fusion. The backgrounds were utter eye-candy. I also really enjoyed how smart and delectable the dialogue was between these characters. The humor and drama were very involving and extremely enjoyable. As with every Sinbad movie, you always want to see more far off lands and more creatures. That allure and mystery is alive and well in this version.

What was probably the most interesting was that this was the first time an animated film had a character fall in love with his best friend's future wife or that an executioner is ready with a giant axe to slice off a character's head. Even some of the tongue-in-cheek humor was more aimed at adults than children. I liked that because it acknowledged that you don't have to be under 12 years old to enjoy animated films.

My only wish for Sinbad would be that it had a grander score or a memorable song. I wanted some epic music for such a grand character. A bolder score would have made the animated film feel big enough to encompass what Sinbad is. I liked how DreamWorks used music in both `Spirit' and `Road to El Dorado' but seemed to have dropped the ball for this one.

Sinbad is a charming animated film with the DreamWorks edge but it needed to be bolder and bigger to do justice to such a legendary character. I just wanted more. (4 out of 5) So Says the Soothsayer.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Are you a fan of Treasure Planet?
xoxomaya9317 August 2011
I was surprised that this movie has been poorly reviewed! I loved it! The animation is incredible, the characters are well-developed, and the story is interesting. It sends a pretty good message about doing the right thing, and also that women being as able as men. I would recommend this for middle schoolers and older, and I believe that even adults would really enjoy this film. In fact, this is now one of my favourites! If you enjoy movies like The Princess Bride or Treasure Planet, this is probably a pretty good one for you. However, I would not recommend this to anyone who disapproves of even the subtlest sexual themes, non-Christian stories, or mention of human mortality.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Wow!!!!!!
buseoana25 June 2005
this was one of the coolest animated movies i have ever seen!!!! it's absolutely great!!!! it's got humor, tones of adventure, great plot, really interesting stuff going on, lots of well-known "voices" and it's extremely exciting. it's unlike anything until now. and it surely beats the crap out of Popeye!!!! really cool, the producers did a great job, i really loved it! i especially loved that book and the fact that there isn't anything ordinary in this world. you except to be another silly little story about a little pirate and wow, but the whole story is enchanted and fantastic. it's absolutely great! i haven't seen such a great movie in years!!!
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Thoroughly enjoyable
TheLittleSongbird13 January 2011
I personally don't mind Dreamworks. They are either hit(How to Train Your Dragon, Prince of Egypt) or miss(Shark Tale, Bee Movie), but when they are good, they are good. Sinbad:Legend of the Seven Seas was surprisingly good and a thoroughly enjoyable animated film. It could have been longer though, and one or two parts could have done with more excitement. That said, the traditional animation is excellent, very colourful and vibrant, and the score is energetic and has a sense of adventure. The story mostly is engaging, with a sequence with seductive sirens standing out as well as the exciting escape from a bird of prey, and the script is smart and witty particularly the banter between Sinbad and Marina. The characters are likable and very well voiced. I am not the biggest fan of Brad Pitt, but he does a solid job as a somewhat flawed yet likable Sinbad, while Catherine Zeta-Jones is fine as the sassy Marina. Eris is quite sinister and fabulously voiced by Michelle Pfeiffer. In conclusion, a thoroughly enjoyable movie. 8/10 Bethany Cox
High 'Seas'
vip_ebriega26 June 2008
My Take: Revives the old-fashioned Sinbad adventures of yore with the style and wit of modern animated movies.

More fun than Disney's own seafaring adventure of 2001 ATLANTIS: THE LOST EMPIRE (an under-appreciated film which I loved), Dreamworks' SINBAD: LEGEND OF THE SEVEN SEAS has everything an exciting adventure should have: Action, romance, and a whole lot of laughs. Action-packed and sharply funny, SINBAD is a marvelous little film that keeps the joys and appeal of the rip-snorting old-fashioned Sinbad films of the 50's/60's.

The fast-paced storyline sets you off to the high seas and doesn't lose track. Brad Pitt is delight as the voice of the wisecracking Sinbad, a seafaring pirate who is framed by the evil Goddess of Chaos (savory Michelle Pfieffer) on stealing the legendary Book of Peace, which unites nations in harmony. While his trusted childhood friend Proteus (voiced by Joseph Fiennes) courageously allows to take Sinbad's place in execution, Sinbad sets of to find the book in order to save his trusted friend... or does he? Proteus' fiancée Marina (voiced with glee by Catherine Zeta-Jones) accompanies Sinbad on his voyage to make sure he fulfills his due. Also accompanying Sinbad on this lovely and perilous voyage is the audience, young or old, who will definitely have a rollicking good time with this film's successful melding of action and comedy... something for both the children and the adults will enjoy.

Once again, Disney has found great competition for an animated entertainment in this terrifically enjoyable adventure. Adults will have much to be surprised themselves (even if they had that final kiss scene coming). Lots of fun.

Rating: **** out of 5.
An overlooked gem
stiv-73 August 2003
I realise that it may be premature to call this film overlooked, but with both Disney and DreamWorks sounding the death knell for cel animation, this film has yet to receive its due.

First off, this is a gorgeous film to look at. The CG work may not be quite seamless, but this seems to be an intentional decision on the part of the directors, and it wasn't jarring in any way. The colour palette is well chosen, and the characters are well-drawn and stylised.

Second, the voice performances are great. Brad Pitt has always been an underrated actor in my opinion, so his performance here was, no surprise, excellent, as were those of Joseph Fiennes, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Third, the pacing is great. This is a film that breezes by with plenty of action and a welcome lack of potty humour. There are scenes where vomit and bare bottoms are used, but not nearly to the same tasteless effect as most children's films these days.

Finally, my kids loved it. They had a lot of fun, and so did my wife. This is not a crowd easily pleased by movies, so this is really saying something.
One of the best 2-D animated films I have seen in a long time
BreeInAZ5 July 2003
I liked Spirit, but loved Sinbad. Having two kids 10 and under, I see a lot of these types of films. My 10 year-old daughter did not like either Spirit or Nemo, but my 6 year-old son did. They both, however said this film was much better than either and most other recent animated films they have seen, including Monsters Inc. From the moment this film opens, it has brilliant color and movement. The sea monster sequence was teriffic and I particularly liked the CGI ocean waves. The ships had tremendous detail, especially the rigging. Dreamworks spent 4 years making this project - and it showed.

All of the voice work was very good - and in spite of what others here have said about Pitt, I thought he was perfect for the part. He had plenty of emotion - not overdone, but restrained - caged in a subtle manner, just like you would expect from a sailor and pirate. Jones was fantastic as Marina, as one would expect, but the true stand-out was Pfifer. I had forgotten she was the voice of Eris, the Goddess of Chaos. I kept asking myself "WHO is that - she must be very sexy in real life..." - uh, duh. I think the older Michelle gets, the sexier she gets - and her voice work is no different. It (her voice) was so silky and seductively smooth - to match the on-screen presence of the brilliantly-animated Eris. A little of Eris went a long way - you always felt her omnipotent presence, due in most part to Pfifer. There were a few men in the audience laughing at some of her comments on screen. The laugh was the kind of defensive laugh that we men use when we are are turned on. No doubt - what a voice.

Many on here have criticized the dialog as being too modern, not traditional enough. The simpler dialog, to me, made it more believable. I have never understood the reasoning of using complex word usage by such simple people as pirates and sailors. I am sure that if way back when, their dialog were perfectly translated into modern English, one would not see much difference than today's banter. Thees's, Thou's and Whitherest's are stereotypical usage of Medieval times. Just because those words were used in print does not necessarily mean they spoke that way in everyday informal conversation.

Unlike other recent animated films, there was no lagging preachy portion, sermonette or message. Good. It is about time that someone makes a film just for its entertainment value - like this year's Oscar-winning Chicago, for instance. Entertaining it was, too. Sinbad had me hooked all the way, wanting a sequel at the end. To me, 2-D animation is still my favorite. Although I like some 3-D animation, I tend to look for its flaws all throughout the movies. With 2-D, I just want entertainment and vivid color, not pseudo-reality. Sinbad's color was some of the best in years - many subtle shades, blended in dramatic fashion.

I thought the action sequences were carefully handled and put you incredibly on the edge of your seat. Unlike Disney's recent Tarzan, whose real claim to fame was the tree sequences, this film has real nail-biting action and a good, non-sappy story. The mythological setting seemed as if it actually was part of written history. To me, most fantasy films are just too surreal for believability, but this one, albeit 2-D, was unlike many of its animated and non-animated predecessors. The sirens sequence was an outright masterpiece. The Gates of Tartarus sequence was top-notch and almost believable. I won't spoil it for you as to why I say... almost.

Maybe I'm naive, but I do not know how this film achieved a PG rating. Nothing from what I saw warranted that - it was good, clean family entertainment that was, for the most part, an adult-oriented film. The usual kiddie-aimed characters, like talking animals did not exist. Spike the (non-talking) dog was the only real child-oriented comic relief character - and it was not over the top, either. Rat (a nicknamed sailor) was also comical, but was again, not aimed at the kids, although my kids laughed at him. The arguments between Marina and Sinbad were also comical. Some said this film lacks humor - not true - it lacks silliness.

The music score was reminiscent of past adventure films - a real symphonic score! There were no modern power ballads, synthesizers or overdubbed vocals - just great symphonic music. It truly followed the story on screen and complimented the action quite well. For those of you who like animated features that have songs sung by Michael Bolton, Bryan Adams and Phil Collins, etc. - you will be disappointed in Sinbad's soundtrack. I am getting the CD, for sure.

Last, but not least, this film concludes in fine emotional form. Even though you know how it will end, you still feel an emotional pull in one of the final scenes. There were little kids (and some adults) in the audience crying at that point which, unlike previous reviewers, I will not spoil. When I review a film, I review its merits and/or flaws. I don't, however, retell the ENTIRE story and plot - that is NOT a review - that is a retelling, summation or synopsis.

"Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas" is a rare find - good adult and AND family fare entertainment. It is not a "feel-good" movie, although it achieves that result. It is not a modern, priceless 2-D animated masterpiece like "Beauty and the Beast" or "The Little Mermaid," but it it comes pretty darned close. I highly recommend seeing this film.

9/10 or ***1/2 out of ****

Ted in Gilbert, AZ
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Beautifully animated adventure movie, with unusually strong female characters to off-set a slightly uninspired storyline.
Jonathon Dabell10 January 2007
"Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas" is a beautifully animated adventure film from the folks at Dreamworks. It might not be as good from the story point-of-view as some of the other films released by the studio ("Shrek 1 and 2" and "The Road To El Dorado" are better), but it makes up for its lack of narrative ingenuity in other departments.

Infamous pirate Sinbad (voice of Brad Pitt) and his crew attack another ship in the Mediterranean Sea. They are trying to steal enough riches to retire to a life of luxury in Fiji, but their plans are interrupted when Sinbad discovers that the boat he's just boarded belongs to an old childhood friend, Prince Proteus (voice of Joseph Fiennes). Proteus is delivering a valuable, magical book – The Book Of Peace – to Syracuse, and is determined to protect his priceless cargo whatever the cost. After being knocked overboard Sinbad is saved from drowning by Eris, the Goddess of Discord (voice of Michelle Pfeiffer). She persuades him to steal the Book Of Peace for her, promising him wealth and power beyond his wildest dreams. But later Eris herself steals the Book, framing Sinbad for the crime and leaving him to face execution in the city of Syracuse. Proteus is the only person who believes that Sinbad is innocent of the crime so he does a deal. Proteus offers himself for execution and lets Sinbad go free – the arrangement being that Sinbad must return within ten days with the Book. If he returns in time, he will be pardoned. If he returns late or not at all, Proteus will die. Initially, Sinbad plans to sail away as soon as his ship is over the horizon, but when Proteus's fiancée Marina (voice of Catherine Zeta-Jones) turns up as a stowaway on his ship he has to change his plans. Sinbad and his crew endure an action-packed adventure as they head towards Eris's kingdom of Tartarus – a land from which no-one has ever returned alive. Along the way, Sinbad learns a few important life-lessons, such as commitment, honesty, friendship and loyalty. But he also finds himself falling in love with Marina, even though she is betrothed to his friend. Worse still, he learns that getting the book back from Eris will require sacrifices and a change of character that might just be beyond his ability…..

"Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas" consists of good and not-so-good elements. As mentioned, the animation is consistently excellent throughout. Harry Gregson-Williams gives the film a memorable and exciting score, and John Logan's screenplay provides a sufficient variety of adventures in adventurous realms. The vocal acting is OK too, with some of the stars enjoying better roles than others. Pfeiffer and Zeta-Jones in particular get fully into the spirit of the film. Indeed, one of the most refreshing things about the entire movie is the strong female presence in it – both Eris and Marina are powerful characters whose involvement in the story is central to everything going on. The not-so-good elements include a rather bland, by-the-numbers plot (anyone who's ever seen a Ray Harryhausen film will knows what's coming well before it happens). Similarly, the film has an annoying habit of either Americanising or modernising everything… most notably the dialogue and the banter. Then there's the fact that Sinbad dreams of retiring to Fiji a good millennium or two before Fiji had even been discovered – another lack of attention to detail that grates on the viewer. On the whole, however, I found "Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas" to be an enjoyable and somewhat overlooked animated fantasy. Aside from its periodic flaws it's definitely fun for the family.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
The Moose Hole - "Who's bad?" Sinbad!
Joseph Kastner4 July 2003
The story follows the many amazing adventures of Sinbad, one of the greatest thieves the world has ever known. Sinbad is always getting into trouble which is no problem for him at all. Just another day on the job stealing treasure from all corners of the world. But this time around, Sinbad is too over his head. The goddess of Chaos, Eris, gets bored with the normal peaceful world, so she decides to shake things up in a big way. Eris, disguised as Sinbad, steals the Book of Peace and frames the famous thief. But Sinbad's best friend, Proteus, decides to take the place of the thief in order for him to retrieve the lost treasure. Sinbad, on the other hand, has different plans but change his mind when Proteus' girlfriend, Marina, decides to tag along to make the job gets done. Now the crew is on the ride of their life as they battle the elements, along with a few monsters, to retrieve the Book of Peace and save the life of Proteus before it is too late. The story for Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas is moderate at best. There are many wonderful action sequences but everything else just falls flat. The dialogue is too modern and really doesn't feel right in the film. At points in the film, the film feels at a right pace but then swings into quick moods of fast paced action that seem too quick. There is some consistency in the film but not throughout the script.

Though there are some famous voices behind the characters of this film, they don't really stand out much. Brad Pitt, who took over the role after Russell Crowe dropped out, voices the great thief Sinbad. From what was seen in the film, there was probably a pretty good reason why Crowe decided to drop out. The character is more of an anti-hero in the legend but the script tries too hard just to make him a straight forward hero. Pitt doesn't help the character as his voice work is too dull and flat to give much excitement to Sinbad. How about some emotion in the voice work Brad? Is that too much to ask? Not much to complain about the character of Marina, voiced by Chicago star Catherine-Zeta Jones. The script tries too hard to try and start a romantic spark between her character and Sinbad but other then that, Jones does a very good job. Michelle Pfeiffer is amazingly creepy as the voice of Eric the goddess of Chaos. The only problem is that as central as her character is in the film, she isn't seen much, which is a shame since much of the animation done on her is very good. Joseph Fiennes is good as the voice of Proteus but the problem is that his character so rarely seen or talked about throughout the film. There is so little known about the character that you don't feel emotion for him when he is about to die.

Overall, Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas, as good as it tries to be, signals another nail in the coffin of traditional animation. It would have been much better if Dreamworks would have stuck with the legendary stories about the famous thief instead of making up their own story that tries too hard to make Sinbad a straight forward hero. The greatness about the character is that he isn't supposed to be a hero. He does great things but he does them for himself and himself only. His character was about the freedom of living on the high seas and not listening to anybody. The animated film just ruins that effect. Speaking of effects, the computer animation used to create the waves of the ocean as well as the many monsters Sinbad faces does not blend well at all with the traditional animation. Some of the effects, like the monster at the beginning of the film, just looked totally ridiculous. There were many things that just didn't seem to make sense like The Book of Peace. What is the point of the Book of Peace? What does it do? From what was seen in the film, all it does is make everything turn dark and nothing more. The ending was just absolutely absurd. Sinbad returns the book and Marina, who at the beginning was engaged to Proteus, has fallen in love with Sinbad. But Proteus, who is nearly killed not once but twice during the film thanks to this guy, is absolutely fine with this. Are they nuts? Speaking of which, what does Marina see in Sinbad anyway? What ever it is can not be seen within the course of the film. Sadly this film may make more business then Treasure Planet, which is an absolute shame.

My Rating: ** ½ out of 5 (Grade: D+)
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Dreamworks mimics Disney to satisfying results
Steve Pulaski10 April 2013
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas is a fine piece of animation, gloriously drawn, fluently animated, and well told, it was a depressing realization to its company Dreamworks and the entire animated empire in Hollywood. Due to its modest box office returns, it cemented the fact that "traditional stories with traditional animation" (employing the quote from Dreamworks head Jeffrey Katzenberg) weren't going to cut it anymore, and audiences wanted bigger animation, more serious morals, and wittier works than in previous years.

Yet that's not to say Sinbad can't effectively be enjoyed on its own terms. The story is a slender one, concerning the title character (voiced fittingly by Brad Pitt), who is on an expedition to recover the Book of Peace from Eris (Michelle Pfeiffer). Her plan was to frame Sinbad for stealing the book (which has united the twelve different lands for years) and get him sentenced to death. The fork in the plan was Prince Proteus (Joseph Fiennes) stepped in to spare the death of Sinbad so he can embark on the rough seas with his crew and the gorgeous Marina (Catherine Zeta-Jones) to recover the book. Now, the fate of Sinbad's village Syracuse rests in his hands.

The film reminds me of the swashbuckling adventure films Disney used to release in the sixties and seventies to much acclaim. As a matter of fact, in some cases, the film mirrors Disney's animated films, most notably Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet for taking place on the rigorous seas and exploring new territory. While the film doesn't have the clunky animation Treasure Planet had, it doesn't the memorable, majestic beauty Atlantis boasted. That film was an incredible, underrated visual achievement for Disney, as it showed its slicker, more mature side than the happy-go-lucky, song-and-dance persona the company predicated itself on for many years.

Sinbad, however, does further my view that Dreamworks is the most talented animated company when it comes to fluent movement. In the last few Dreamworks films I've watched (The Road to El Dorado and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron), I've seen incredibly breezy and extremely slick movement. Being that the film takes place almost entirely on the unpredictable seas, movement of the ship and the characters on board is almost required and the guys behind the animation have a lot of fun with the possibilities. Sinbad was the reason animation was invented to begin with. Seeing these kinds of things done in live action, likely assisted by an embarrassing amount of computers, would be ordinary and rather predictable. Because it takes place in a divine, animated wonderland, the characters do not have to subject themselves to plausibility, the laws of physics, or even the gravitational force. Animation was meant to break all kinds of laws and that's what this film does and does well.

Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas works as a competent story and would've probably been praised had it been released in the eighties or the nineties. But, to come full circle, what was efficient and passable fare back then isn't what passes as entertainment today. It serves more as a footnote for Dreamworks than a significant, indelible watermark.

Voiced by: Brad Pitt, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michele Pfieffer, and Joseph Fiennes. Directed by: Tim Johnson and Patrick Gilmore.
excellent score and great 2d 3d blending in a good story
abefilmbuff30 July 2003
DreamWorks latest title with a seamless blend of 2D/3D animation. The PDI backdrops are stunning and the entry into Syracuse/ Siren scene shows a quality music score rather than the catena of vaguely related pop singles, or a hastily compiled composition (aka Pirates of the Caribbean.

A good storyline and the only weakness is the thin pirate script. However the emphasis of friendship is strong as a counter.

Voices are dubbed well and the whole is a good result for all ages in a slow summer of school holidays!
Really Good Film
GHCool26 July 2003
Don't judge it by the lame advertising campaign the studio put out. This is a superior animated film. Sinbad is everything TREASURE PLANET tried to be but wasn't. The animation is beautiful and the action is exhilarating. My only complaint is that the voice acting wasn't quite up to par with other recent animated films (like FINDING NEMO).

My Grade:

9 out of 10

"Who's bad? Sinbad."
A fantastic movie!
Shark7526 July 2003
The most enjoyable movie this year so far. The story is great, the animation is awesome, the music and sound is sensational. What more could you ask for?

A hugely entertaining film. GO SEE IT! You wont be dissapointed.

Oh, and by the way Nomad-7 this is NOT a Disney movie! It's Dreamworks! Did you even watch it?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Wonderful high adventure beautifully animated
Edith Keeler19 July 2003
When I went to see this movie at the theater I was all set to be disappointed because it wasn't doing very well at the box office. I was pleasantly surprised! From the opening screen I was treated to beautiful animation telling a fast paced story of high adventure driven by classical mythology. The characters are complex but sympathetic. The humor is sophisticated. And the solutions to the heros' predicaments are original and exciting. Especially beautiful are the seqences in the relm of the Goddess. This is wonderful adventure fun for the entire family, not just for the kiddies.

The Goddess of Discord steals the magic book that protects the Twelve Cities and frames Sinbad for the theft. Sinbad's childhood friend offers himself in Sinbad's place while Sinbad goes off to recover the book from the goddess. If the book is not recovered in time, the friend will forfiet his life. Will Sinbad the professional thief recover the book and save his friend's life or let him die to save his own skin?
Great adventure!
darkfalcont4 July 2003
I enjoyed this film which contained a mix of beautiful animation, action, romance, and story telling. Overall it's a very good movie but some of the violence and frightful scenes make it a bit much for children under 7. I rated this film 8 out of 10, it's highly entertaining but not quite an all time classic.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
odysseus? jason? clearly this is no sinbad!
bhaktanir8 December 2003
Since when is Sinbad a citizen of Syracuse? And what does he have to do with ancient Greek and Roman Gods? The producers of this crap should sit down and read one of the best stories ever told in the most entertaining collection of tales - the Arabian nights - to where Sinbad belongs. The only Arabic/Islamic thing about this Sinbad is his goatie and his brown eyes. What I don't really understand is why the producers needed the name recognition of Sinbad to tell a totally uninteresting story about an obscure chimera character living in a confusing time that exhibits elements of the Islamic empire with that of the Roman empire and the Greek city states. What a waste of effort.
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Forgettable Kids Flick
christian1235 July 2005
Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas isn't a bad film its just not a very memorable one. Sinbad has spent his life asking for trouble, and trouble has finally answered. Framed for stealing one of the world's most priceless and powerful treasures--the Book of Peace--Sinbad has one chance to find and return the precious book, or his best friend Proteus will die. Sinbad decides not to take that chance and instead sets a course for the fun and sun of the Fiji Islands. But Proteus' beautiful betrothed, Marina, has stowed away on Sinbad's ship, determined to make sure that Sinbad fulfills his mission and saves Proteus' life. The plot sounds like it could be a fun flick for kids and adults but it didn't really turn out that way. While some kids will enjoy it those that do will probably forget about it pretty soon afterward. Other kids will probably find it dull and adults will find it to be too simple. There are some exciting moments in the film but nothing really worthwhile. The cast is terrific with three big stars attached to it. My favorite in the film was Michelle Pfeiffer though she wasn't really in it that much. Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta Jones were also enjoyable but just because an animated film has a strong cast doesn't mean that the film will improve (unless Robin Williams is in it). There are two directors and Tim Johnson is probably the more talented one as he directed Antz. DreamWorks has had success with animated films including Antz, Shrek, Shrek 2 but the story in this film isn't as good as the previous films. There are some flaws in the story but most people will be able to look past them. The movie is relatively short at just 85 minutes long which is normal for a 2D picture and its done to save money. Is this film worth watching? No, there are plenty of better choices for your family to watch but it wouldn't hurt if you did check it out. In the end, this is a rather disappointing movie that shouldn't really please a whole lot of people but it is more entertaining then the Hulk. Rating 5.4/10
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
a bad message for little girls
frojavigdis8 July 2003
First of all, I must say: I enjoyed this film overall. The animation was beautiful, the plot was entertaining. But I think the message this film gives to little girls is one of the most backward and unhealthy ones out there.

The message is that women should be attracted to rakes like Sinbad in the ever-faithful quest to find their "heart of gold" beneath the lies. The main female character, a strong and independent woman, has the ditzy failing that she believes that Sinbad (whom she barely knows) MUST have goodness in him, despite that he has shown none. She chooses him from the beginning over the honorable prince. This sends a message that women should tolerate liars believing that eventually their future actions will redeem them.

Give me the honest man over the liar anyday, and tell your girls that, too. Life ain't a romance novel, and don't we know it. :)
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Once it gets going this is a great adventure
dbborroughs19 January 2008
Its an odd mix of computer and regular animation who's blending doesn't always seem seamless. It does work better than Dreamworks earlier Spirit since the mix helps to add to the other worldliness of some of the bits.

The basic plot has Sinbad trying to steal The Book of Peace from a ship on the ocean. When he finally runs down the ship he finds its commanded by a boyhood friend. Not one to stand on ceremony he attempts to steal the book only to be interrupted by a kraken like being sent by the goddess Eris. Together the pair defeat the beast, in one of the great set pieces of the film, but in the process Sinbad is swept overboard only to be rescued by Eris who tells him to steal the book for her and she'll make him rich. Sinbad agrees, but for reasons left for the viewing , he backs out only to be blamed for the theft anyway. His friend knows he's innocent and takes his place so Sinbad can attempt to get the book back with in the ten days before his execution.

Thats the first fifteen minutes.

Its not as exciting as all of that, these fifteen minutes I mean, since its badly handled exposition done to get the plot really moving.

I have a suspicion that the voyage was designed before the framing sequences and that the inclusion of Eris was done simply because it was a way to get the wheels in motion and have a magical air to it all.

The voice cast is uniformly excellent. It is quite possibly the best voice cast of this stature that I've seen in a long time. (That should be heard). The joys of the listening to Pitt, Pfeiffer, and Zeta-Jones is that they really are acting and really are selling the film. I can imagine everyone being on set and acting together even though the fact is far from the truth.

The writing is excellent and you can see that the film really was written as if it were a live action film in the way that the characters hang together is a more real way than in many animated films where characters are of a type and nothing more.Here the characters are people which is nice.

Because the writing is so good the reasons for things are clearer than in most animated films these are people reasons not cartoon reasons, for example the reason why Sinbad was gone for ten years could only have been come upon by someone who wrote a real script instead of fumbled around with a storyboard. This small moment is, for me one of the high points of the film. The dialog is fantastic, witty and snide and dead nuts on.

The film is best viewed as a film that exists only for the voyage since thats the best part and what a voyage it is. Here the film becomes a series of wonderful set pieces that are joy to behold, but are at times regrettably undercut by the bad directed linking material. Beyond saying ignore the links I want to say little about the actual film other than that the kraken sequence, the dragons teeth sequence, the island hopping, the snow bird and several others are fantastic adventure sequences that rouse you up and get you into the mood to go adventuring. This is great stuff.

And while this is a grand adventure it should be stated that this is a grand ROMANCE. Oh my word its wonderful, pull those little heart strings why don't you. This is the romance of Nick and Nora or Spencer and Susan, but with action added in.

And even as I wax poetic about the movie I must remind you that even as the voyage builds to a conclusion the movie wobbles a bit at the end, not the very end, but a couple of minutes before when I was going to myself, "thats it? You mean all of that and thats it?" Its bad direction I'm telling you (that or studio interference). there shouldn't be that bump towards the end...

But lest you worry it picks up and ends with a bang
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?