Interstate 60: Episodes of the Road (2002) Poster

One of the best films I've seen in a long time!
Katatonia16 October 2003
Once in awhile there's a film that comes along that is amazingly fresh in it's idea. Interstate 60 is one of the best movies I've seen recently. I saw in a rental store and there was only one copy they had. I didn't see it in on the shelves of the other rental chains I usually visit several times per week. I debated whether or not I should even rent the movie. But, it had Christopher Lloyd in it...so it couldn't be that bad.

I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. It's fun and utterly different than what I was expecting it to be. Interstate 60 cannot be classified into a single genre. It is many genres, from fantasy to comedy, to romance, to drama...and back again switching between these and so much more.

The script is very well written, with many memorable lines of intelligent dialogue. There are several notable cameos by high profile actors such as Michael J. Fox, Ann-Margret, and Kurt Russell. All of their performances made use of their stellar acting abilities. Another must see role was played by Chris Cooper.

Interstate 60 should really have had a wide theatrical distribution. It has the look and feel of a big budget movie, and surely has a wide ranging appeal. A lot happens in this movie and that is a good thing! It's a shame that a lot of people will probably never see or hear of the movie. If you can find it around you should definitely rent it. You also couldn't go wrong with just buying it, I know it is next on my list of movies to buy for my personal collection. I give this exceptional movie a 10 rating out of a possible 10!
96 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Under-rated and Under-distributed
Lumacor4 August 2004
The only way I got to see this film, was to order it online from amazon.com and ship it over from the US. I can't even remember how I came across hearing of the film, I think I was just browsing the net one day and saw the name 'Bob Gale' attached.

I'm a huge fan of the BTTF series, and pretty much appreciate all works done by cast and crew of the series in other titles. Robert Zemeckis, Bob Gale, Christopher Lloyd, and the great MJF to name a few! So how come I'd never heard of this film 'Interstate 60', as it contains 3 of the 4 aforementioned magical ingredients (albeit the 2 actors in secondary roles).

Intrigued, I set about attempting to obtain the movie, which proved more painstaking than trying to remove barbed wire from your rear end.

Nowhere in the UK has it or had even heard of it, there was no cinema release, no straight-to-video, nothing. Not even big Brit name Gary Oldman (who appears for his fair share in the film), or legend Kurt Russell seemed to have secured its distribution.

Anyway, to the film, I think it has to be seen to be appreciated, I rate the plot quite well, with its quirky and surreal sense of humour. The direction and camera work are fantastic (albeit a little rough around the edges) for a low-end budget film, and is something Bob Gale should be proud of for his first outing as a director. The narrative element from BTTF, using the main character as eyes and ears for the audience is again used to good effect, and is once again an engrossing way to tell the story in 'Interstate 60'.

Perhaps big distributors felt that the film was too odd, or strange to merit a push for release, which is a shame, as it's a hidden gem and well worth shipping over international waters anywhere. Strangely enough, it seems as though its one of the only films amazon will ship over to another country (so maybe they know its true value).

If your at all interesting or intrigued as I first was, then you should definitely attempt to get hold of the film while its still about.
74 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A refreshingly moral story with important messages presented in a humorous way...
MovieAddict201620 September 2003
"Interstate 60" is about a highway that doesn't seem to exist, yet somewhere in between two highways in Louisiana it does, indeed, exist. The main character of the film has a hard time trying to find it at first, for his destiny lies somewhere upon the seemingly non-existent highway.

People looking for "Interstate 60: Episodes of the Road" may have just as hard a time looking for the movie itself, as it was not theatrically released, has not been released on DVD, but continues to circulate around small theaters and film festivals since 2002, in search of more eager viewers who will no doubt be both surprised and inspired by the film's truthfulness and sense of morals.

Yet "Interstate 60" plays like anything but a Surgeon General's warning. It isn't as openly strict or hard-nosed. It has a sort of subtle warning inside it that lets the viewer decide what it is about. It's a film that stays with you after it's over, and that's a rare thing these days.

It all starts with a rich kid named Neal Oliver (James Marsden, "X-Men"). Neal's 22nd birthday has just arrived, and with it a shiny-red BMW sports car, with the license plate specially modeled after his father's own personal motto. In fact, the entire convertible seems to be modeled after Neal's father's own tastes. "I woulda killed to have something like this when I was your age," his dad mutters. We have a feeling he really would have, too.

Neal makes a wish for his birthday, to find a meaning to his life. It is overheard by an odd man named O.W. Grant (full name: One Wish Grant), who decides to grant Neal his wish - by sending a painter's bucket flying from above, only to come to a stop on Neal's skull.

Out of it for a while, Neal wakes up again and finds his perception noticeably different. He notices things he never noticed before; his senses are more acute. A strange doctor named Ray (Christopher Lloyd) explains a thing or two about perception and blindness to Neal, before Neal finds out there is no doctor on the staff at the hospital named Ray (though that seems a bit odd, don't you think?).

Neal meets Ray again in a skyscraper, where Ray gives Neal a job to transport a small briefcase to Denvar (yes, DenVAR), a small town located along I-60. Neal reluctantly agrees to go on this journey in hopes of finding a girl he can't rid his mind of, and so he finally locates this nonexistent highway. Along his journey he once again meets O.W. Grant (Gary Oldman), as well as Laura (Amy Jo Johnson), a woman seeking as much sex as possible; a cop (Kurt Russell) in a small drug-infested town; an ex-advertising agent played by Chris Cooper; and finally he finds the girl of his dreams (literally), Lynn (Amy Smart). Along his journey, Neal comes to terms with himself and who he really is, and though this is predictable the way the film gets the message across is more than ingenious.

The writer and director of the film is Bob Gale, the man most people will always remember as the creator and sole writer of the three "Back to the Future" films. Gale tried his hand at directing a few times, including the 1995 "interfilm" called "Mr. Payback," which I have not seen but have heard is a supposedly horrid excuse for a film. "Interstate 60" is not - it is a cleverly-written little film that avoided being released into the mainstream, and for a reason: It didn't want to become Hollywoodized. It hasn't. And it shows.

"Interstate 60" is unmistakably a low-budget film, but it is all the better for it. It has some important messages that really should be seen by everyone. In a time when films like "Gigli" are invading the film market, this is a breath of fresh air, a step towards a better side of film-making, a side with morals for today's youth and future generations.

There are some great messages in this film, it's a shame that the majority of moviegoers and families seeking quality films will never even see this film, much less hear about it.
70 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely awesome
kotaba8 December 2004
This film is one of the few modern movies, that really HAS something to say. I was very touched, as it reflected my own feelings of incertitude about the future. It contains the motive of the trip(escape), bravery to rise against the authority, but mainly the courage to change one's own life, while preserving the humorous aspect. Contains the love-story sub-motive, but just as moderate, as appropriate. I just loved the script. This film gives the viewer the hope, he can entirely change his life just by making a few crucial decisions.

I'm giving 10 and going to buy the DVD!
83 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The very definition of 'underrated gem'
tramsbottom10 February 2004
This brilliantly original film somehow bypassed theatres due to the usual studio stupidity. An intelligent, offbeat road movie with fantasy elements is a hard thing to sell, so they don't bother and the film eventually limps its way onto DVD.

With a bit more money this could have been one of the best films ever. As it is, director Bob Gale makes the best of things and it's a reflection on how strong the story is that he can get away with it on a measly budget. There are great cameos from Michael J.Fox and Kurt Russell amongst others.

Like Donnie Darko, this is a weird little indie film you may never have heard of but buying the DVD will be one of the best choices you'll make.
46 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
perfect
dahna31 October 2004
I've seen the I60 for the second time in 2 days, and believe truly that it's absolutely gorgeous! a beautiful fairy tale, which gave me a positive energy, at least for today. gary oldman was crazier than ever, mardsen wasn't that good, but still real nice, and I really think that this movie just might enter my list of 5 best movies I've ever seen. It really doesn't matter if it's made by Bob Gale,I really don't get the fact that some people expect another Back To The Future from him... why? It's like expecting that Tarantino should always make Pulp Fiction movies... Anyways, it was a real breath of fresh air to me, and I'm really happy that I didn't miss it. Delicious!
51 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say (Possible Spoilers)
scooterbrowne28 January 2004
From the man, Bob Gale, that gave us the Back to The Future trilogy comes Interstate 60. A story that everyone can pretty much relate to.

Well I say that this is one of the best movies that I have ever seen and I mean that 100%. This movie relates so much to life and shows you the results of the decisions that you make.

I waited so long to see this that I marked on my calender the day it would come out on DVD so I could go rent it at my local video store. When I first started watching it I wasn't to sure about it but by the time it was over I was sitting there amazed that a movie this good couldn't find distribution for so long and had to be put out as a direct to video release, especially with all the crap being put out at the theaters. I also couldn't wait to watch it again so I went out and bought it.

I thought the story was really good though I think the language was over the top. To me this movie was basically what everyone goes through in life. Finding that dream girl/guy, drugs, pressure from a parent/guardian,and wanting an answer to life.

The actors did a great job and Chris Cooper was hysterical. Amy Smart was hilarious when first introduced and Christopher Lloyd reminded me of his character in the Back to The Future movies.

If you need to see a thought provoking non-stop fun movie then please hop in your car and take the road less traveled down Interstate 60.
44 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There are few with this quality!
MovieStoreClerk4 August 2005
I have walked by this movie in the cult section of my store many times and just recently I made the bold move of watching it. I couldn't believe I had never seen it before! Gary Oldman is brilliant in this movie and I was surprised at James Marsden as well. I guess the overall reason that I love this is that it exists in a truly unique genre, that of the existentialist cinema. It gets to join films like Donnie Darko, I Heart Huckabees, and Dead Man. Every time someone comes into my store looking for something that's more than a little "off-beat" I point them in the direction of this movie. All in all I gave this movie a nine out of ten because, while it was a brilliant movie, there's always room for improvement.
32 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious refreshing comedy with depth
Teewurstmann11 February 2003
10 out of 10 It's refreshing to see something new from Bob Gale, the man who brought us Back to the Future. This movie shows his potential once again.

He brings us a very refreshing comedy/drama/fantasy/road-movie mix that proves once more that comedy doesn't equal stupidity (although it can, when it's well done, like Rat Race, Dumb and Dumber or Something about Mary).

It is full of surprises and features an excellent Gary Oldman and an hilarious Chris Cooper.

DON'T MISS IT!
32 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretentious moralisation and simplification
Anduin133 October 2003
How is it possible that this movie has such a high rating? This film is totally undeserving of the high praise awarded to it in this site, it is complete and utter rubbish. I was forced to watch this on an international flight and I would have escaped if I had the chance, but we were cruising at 36000 ft and I could not get out of the plane, so I decided to finish it only to come back and slag this steaming pile of post-digestive bovine refuse on the Internet. This movie assumes that the audience are a bunch of morons who need to be hit over the head with its moralising messages. Yes, we know that smoking is bad, but you don't have to make the bad guys smoke all the time. Yes, we know that the legal system in the USA is crazy, but creating a town full of lawyers is not only ridiculous, it wastes an otherwise interesting perspective. Yes, we know drug abuse is wrong, but there's no need to populate an entire town with rave-mad teenagers to let us know that fact.

This is the modern version of 'reefer madness', a movie with the single purpose of selling its simplistic take on life to the unthinking unsuspecting masses. What a waste of Gary Oldman's talents.
27 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting modern fantasy
vranger1 October 2010
In "Interstate 60", a young man unknowingly undertakes a quest to find himself. Thinking that he is delivering a package under the most bizarre of circumstances, on a journey during which he may literally find the girl of his dreams, he faces a series of challenges that will define his character and his future.

Along the way we may, or may not encounter God, a variation on a leprechaun, a mysterious set of billboards, a town with nothing but lawyers, and a dying ad man with an abhorrence of lies ... among other interesting characters and situations.

"Interstate 60" is not fast paced, but it is a delightful and interesting exploration of the measure of its hero, a budding artist whose father would prefer follow his footsteps into practicing law. However, even this common sort of plot conflict is not overblown with high drama.

The plot, characters, and circumstances are thoughtful at the same time as they are entertaining. This movie will not be to every one's taste, but it is certainly worth a look.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It Just Might Surprise You
Topgallant18 November 2009
I watched this the other night on my Roku box and found myself thoroughly entertained. Sure, it's not perfect. James Marsden, playing the main character, seems to be channeling a young Tom Cruise a lot of the time. And some of the situations or adventures he finds himself in come across as a little forced, as if there's a point to be made and damned if the writer/director, Bob Gale, is going to let anyone stop him from making it. But don't let these things interfere with your viewing enjoyment. The story, the cameos, the subtext and the movie's rhythm work like a charm. Oh, yeah, by the way, charm is the operative word.

This movie comes to you with some serious pedigree. Bob Gale, the writer/director, wrote Back to the Future, one of the cleanest, sharpest movies ever made. Whether you like this type of film (mystical, fantasy) or not, you have to agree Back to the Future is flawless from a purely technical, three-act point of view. Interstate 60 has this same kind of flawless energy. So often today movies get re-written and massaged to the point where structure falls by the wayside to make room for more effects and whammies. Other movies seem so formulaic it's as if they were written by a computer.

Basically, Interstate 60 is a fantasy road movie. It's Homer on acid. Or Ken Keasey on a magical mystery tour. Actually, it's more like Gulliver's Travels. If you like Gulliver's Travels, you'll like this.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of a Kind Treasure.
AMichaelL26 January 2012
I am an admitted cinephile of sorts, and when I first saw this movie recommended to me by netflix, I cringed at the cover and the description. I read Gary Oldman's name and became perplexed...he has very deliberate choices in roles (aka tends not to be in too many bad movies) so I was immediately pawned into watching it, if for nothing else to see what Oldman was doing in this thing. Well, without giving much away - I was blown back. I mean, wow - this movie has some of the wittiest dialogue, most interesting characters, crazy situations, and in-depth philosophy of any movie I have ever seen. It fully deserves the ten/ten stars. It seems kind of cheesy at times, but even the harshest of critics tend to love this movie.

This is one of my go to movies when someone wants me to show them a great movie they have never seen. It will make you truly laugh AND truly think about important questions - an exceedingly rare combo in films these days.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Simply excellent.
usernr17 May 2003
I actually feel compelled to comment on this movie, and I haven't been compelled in a long time.

Simply put this film was excellent from the outset. I was hooked from go. No other movie this year can touch its quirkiness. It's a road movie that takes you to the greatest places that aren't there - you'll see what I mean. Some of the comments on society (in most cases American society) were spot on. And you cannot predict where it will go next, you just have to take the ride and accept. Each stop gets better.

Now its entertainment, so don't think it has message written all over it (although it kinda does), Gary Oldman does a wonderful turn as our wish granter, and it's the best film Marsden and Smart have done. The rest of the supporting cast are superb with too many to mention.

I haven't spent two better hours this year.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The moron's "thinking" movie.
jamez196525 June 2004
If you like being spoon-fed grade school level philosophy and corny, literal exposition, then this may be the most thought-provoking movie you've ever seen - knock yourself out! Otherwise you, like me, will have a hard time sitting through this contrived stinker. You can almost see the confident smirks on the faces of the filmmakers, believing that they have in fact wowed you with their deep, meaningful masterpiece. And while it appears that many have indeed been wowed, the bitter truth is it's just a horrible movie. Many defend this exercise in bad film-making as being "quirky." I love quirky movies, but there's a difference between quirky art (a David Lynch or Tim Burton movie perhaps) and quirky BAD (Interstate 60). I'm sure this movie is so well liked because it's a nice, feel-good movie with a happy-as-pie ending and those wonderful actors from Back to the Future. But if you don't consider yourself part of the lowest common denominator, stay as far away from Interstate 60 as you possibly can!
24 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I am not deaf and I have my own opinions.
nodata-227 May 2003
This is almost a "don't drink, smoke or do drugs"-movie that an average high school teacher could have made. The obviousness of the messages is just embarrassing, and as several other users have commented, you're not allowed to draw your own conclusions, the answers are repeated, repeated, repeated and repeated one more time just to be sure. Did I mention the obviousness of the messages? :)
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just weird
berserktripon5 May 2006
Thoughtful premise. The film has good intentions, and could have really been fantastic but comes up short. It goes from feeling like an afterschool special to a dark comedy and never decides which it wants to be. Mixing these CAN work, and dabbling in fantasy is fine but the film seems hell bent on grounding itself in very corny, ordinary, juvenile dialogue (Yes, "you can take that to the bank"). It just doesn't cross the line of strange far enough to allow the user let go and enjoy it. Perhaps if it had made itself into a pseudo-reality in a film-noir mold (Heathers, Reservoir Dogs, 12 Monkeys, Harry Potter), the bizarre characters and nonsensical settings would work, but here they don't. They would have been better either making this into a straight PG or PG-13 movie like BTTF, or grabbing the brass ring and going for the film noir/scifi route as an R rated flick. My guess is that the latter was the intention but somebody wanted to turn it into Back to the Future 4. It turns out to be confused, jumbled mess.
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had far more potential really.
Boba_Fett11387 March 2005
I can't help being disappointed by this movie. Sure it was fun but the movie itself feels empty like it has no heart. Bob Gale is a good writer but he ain't exactly a sensational director. Also having James Mardsen playing the main character didn't exactly helped the movie an awful lot...

The story leaves way too many loose ends and the story takes the easy road at times, leading everything down a predictable path. Best way to describe the story is like a crossover of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and "Big Fish". Difference with those movies is is that they are way better and far more original in their own way than "Interstate 60". The story itself had very much potential but in the end it doesn't pay off.

The movie also features way too many cameo's. Problem with cameo's is that the actors are always overdoing their roles. Best man in the movie to me was surprisingly not Gary Oldman but Chris Cooper. But James "Cyclops" Mardsen simply was not the right choice for the main character.

Sure there are some nice moments that are mostly just mainly fun. Some people thought this movie was thought provoking but seriously to me it mainly was just good old fashioned fun entertainment. I wasn't really bored for a single time during the movie but still, maybe a more experienced and talented director would had done more and better with the story.

7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How obvious can it be?
Tanaka-san11 February 2003
Ok come on, I thought I would be seeing a movie which would be great, funny and give me food for thought. I thought wrong....

If I see a movie, I would like to make my own conclusions. Ok not all of the time, but when a movie is supposed to have all kinds of "messages" for the viewer, I would like to be treated as someone who can think, not a complete idiot who must have everything completely sorted out for him....five times!

Then again, you can sit back and watch it, not think at all. Can be relaxing from time to time, too bad the movie is too frustrating for this....
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Am I so wrong to feel let down by this movie?
innocuous18 May 2004
After reading the other comments, I can't help but feel a bit like Scrooge. This movie had great potential and just squandered it. I really expect more of Bob Gale, who showed much more subtlety and ingenuity with BTTF. Some of the reasons for my disappointment include...

The performance of Marsden. I don't know whether to feel sorry for him, mad at him, or totally turned off by his "Escapee from 90210" persona. He never convinces me that he cares in the slightest about art at any level...commercial, personal, or otherwise. His relationship to his father (at the age of 22) is a little creepy.

The constant beating over the head from the director. Gale may as well have just said, "Don't take things at face value. DON'T TAKE THINGS AT FACE VALUE!! Watch this...I'll show you a bunch of things you shouldn't take at face-value!!" Unfortunately, he handles this concept as if it is real only in theory and not in practice. I mean, I just don't run into supernatural roadways and leprechauns on a daily basis. Unlike "Groundhog Day", where the lessons learned by Bill Murray actually transcend the supernatural device at the heart of the story, the devices used in this movie are there for their own sake. They have absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the story (***MINOR SPOILER: the character's decision to follow his heart and his confrontation with his father***.)

The bad language. I just don't think I'd be quite as free with my language (especially in the presence of a half-breed leprechaun) under certain conditions as they are in this movie. It's simply gratuitous and is the only thing that separates this movie from a PG-13 (or even a PG) rating.

The stereotypes. Overbearing lawyer father, slutty hitcher, unappreciative coworkers, simpleton truckers, hurrying yuppie with a cell phone, crooked sheriff...I could go on and on. It gets old very quickly.

Anyway, see this if you like. Marsden is cute (much cuter than any of the females) and Oldman and Lloyd are great in their roles.

** out of *****
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Adolescent dribble.
rayjkeg22 January 2005
One of the worst movies I've ever wasted my time on. The lead character was extremely unlikable and his girlfriend was a pretentious ass. I didn't watch enough of the rest of the movie to form an opinion on the other characters as my IQ was starting to lower with each passing scene. You remember the old anti drug commercial where they show an egg and say "This is your mind", and then they show the egg being cracked into a very hot pan and say "This is your mind on drugs"? Well they could replace that part with "This is your mind on Interstate 60" and it would pretty much sum it up. A pre-pubescent piece of crap that tries way to hard.
14 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Heavily flawed movie.
Finntroll27 March 2005
"Interstate 60" is a modern fairytale which has some interesting ideas, and a pretty good fantasy feeling. The whole idea of traveling a road which only exists or oneself and the metaphor for life which exists therein is a fresh and good idea.

But unfortunately there are also some flaws that proves to be fatal if this movie is watched with an unforgiving eye. Let's get on with it shall we? One of the bigger problems in "Interstate 60" is the acting. The wooden James Marsden lacks the ability to carry this movie and the good actors, Michael J. Fox only has a short role in the beginning and Gary Oldman is not on screen enough to save this movie.

The real problem however is the script. It has a senseless plot that seems more like an excuse to fill this movie with strange locations and characters than anything else. I have to admit though, that some locations and characters are amusing, but far to many of them just seem to be thrown in for no reason. The end may be pretty exciting but the explanation for it that follows actually reeks.

"Interstate 60" is a movie which shows some good premise in the beginning but unfortunately falls apart because of a really weak script and often substandard acting. You may however like it if you don't pay attention to the all flaws in it, it has a lighthearted and warm feeling to it and as i already said it does have some exciting ideas.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a Spiritual movie, almost in disguise
dennisg-68 April 2013
This is a movie about attempting to understand what you want to do in Life. A young man, Neal, is pressured by his dad to go to Law School, so he can become an attorney, like his dad (even though Neal wants to be an artist). Step one is going to a pre-law course of study. Dear-old-dad pushes his wants and desires onto others (like giving a red convertible to his son, who dislikes red), because he thinks that what he wants is what others want (or, should want).

After Neal learns a lesson about Neal's not seeing the reality of things (in a card trick), he takes on a contract to deliver a package to a distant place. On the road, he encounters a person in several different places who "gets" what they have wished for (some happily, some not).

This movie is filled with philosophy and lessons (and choices to make). Faith is a ongoing theme, faith in your own life. Faith is a fragile thing. You will see it wax and wane, and (probably) feel the same as Neal from time to time.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fanciful, whimsical, fun story from the creator of Back to the Future.
TxMike10 October 2006
Bob Gale is responsible for one of my favorite series of movies, the Back to the Future trilogy. He wrote and produced those. Here he does triple duty as creator/writer, producer, and director. I like 'different' movies, where the story travels 'out of the box.' I found this one totally entertaining, and we even get 'Marty' and 'Doc Brown'! :-)

James Marsden is Neal Oliver, a young man who enjoys art, and is good at it. But his overbearing father wants his son to attend a prestigious law school and eventually join him in his law practice. Confused about what he should do, and frustrated, he makes a wish and encounters red-haired O.W. Grant (or, grant one wish) played smartly and energetically by Gary Oldman. This O.W is a strange fellow, seemingly knowing everything about Neal, and convinces him to take a road trip heading west along fictional Interstate 60. The characters even acknowledge that there is no I-60, but Neal goes anyway, with O.W. in the passenger seat.

Along I-60 they encounter some very interesting towns and people. One town is where most residents are lawyers and visitors are charged with a crime that everyone knows is bogus, but they all go along with it as a way of keeping lawyers gainfully employed. Neal finds an interesting way out of his dilemma.

Christopher Lloyd and Kurt Russell have small by interesting parts. Amy Smart is Nancy, the girl that Neal keeps seeing on billboards, but no one else can see them (except O.W.). Neal is puzzled, but hopes she is the person he is supposed to deliver a package to.

SPOILERS FOLLOW. Neal and Nancy finally meet up, they hit it off, Neal stands up to his father, and wins an art contest with a drawing he made while traveling I-60 (the viewer's proof that it wasn't just a dream.)
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.