Stuart Little (1999) Poster

(1999)

Colorful, Charming, Nice Story Most People Should Like
ccthemovieman-116 August 2006
Wow, there are lots of name actors are either in front of the camera or being used as voices in this unique animated-real life film. They use real people and animals (except for fake mouths when the animals "talk") and an animated mouse (Stuart, voiced by animation favorite Michael J. Fox.) who looks incredibly life-like.

The colors in this movie are terrific, especially with the house that the Little family lives in. The story has some clever stuff in it but it strictly played for laughs and reactions since credibility is about zero in many parts of this story. However, it's supposed to be outrageous. I don't think Geena Davis has ever played a nicer role than this. It was good to see. The husband was just as nice, played affably by Hugh Laurie.

The jokes are good for the kids and adults. I know a couple of parents who liked this movie even better than their kids, so don't believe it when someone writes that this is a film strictly for kids. That is not so. I did object to some profanity in here at the end, which seemed so out of place, but it's hard to expect Hollywood to get everything right.

The sequel to this film is even better!
33 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Think Big
albechri16 August 2000
Truly a family movie, especially made for kids. That explains all; the absurdity, the irrational acts, the incredible story and yet the finale.

Don't mess the story by thinking how can it happen in real life, because it won't.

The casts are well chosen, unfortunately Jonathan Lipnicki is less adorable than his appearance in Jerry MacGuire. Geena Davis is very standard as well as the other casts. But look at that little mouse! He's so adorable indeed, very sweet and beautifully made to make you fall in love with him from the first sight.

Well, it worked well, at least from the ratings and the gross income.

A family classic movie. Watch it on a Sunday morning. It will lift your spirit up.
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet and memorable movie.
TheLittleSongbird14 May 2009
This movie is really sweet, and I enjoyed it enormously. Sometimes it is a bit overly sentimental, and the human characters aren't as charming as the animal characters. Jonathan Lipnicki was sweet as George, but doesn't quite have the charm he brought to the The Little Vampire. Geena Davis and Hugh Laurie do amiably as the parents, but both seem subdued. Luckily, the human characters don't interfere too much with the animals, and still bring a certain charm to the screen. Stuart is wonderfully voiced by Michael J.Fox, and he joined by a hilarious Nathan Lane as Snowbell and a villainous Chazz Palminteri as Smoky. The script is intelligent and sweet, and there are plenty of charming scenes with Stuart and George. All in all, really sweet, fun and memorable. 8/10 Bethany Cox.
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mouse with Pet Cat Saves Day
dfranzen7022 April 2000
If you told me five years ago that I'd be watching a movie about a mouse who is adopted by humans, I'd probably ask you what kind of drugs you were taking and how many would I need to take to enjoy such puerile piffle. But five years ago we didn't have the kind of technical wizardry we have now; witness Toy Story, the new Star Wars, or any of the recent Disney films. Five years ago, the mouse would have been a regular rodent with a not-too-subtle voiceover. Remember Homeward Bound, the movie about the two dogs and the cat? There was no computer animation there, and you were basically left with three animals who appeared to cavort onscreen while some humans talked in the background.

So now here we have Stuart Little, a tiny little mouse (voiced by the always-fresh Michael J. Fox) who has lived his entire life in an orphanage. One day, the Littles (Hugh Laurie and Geena Davis) come to the orphanage looking for a brother for their young son George (Jonathan Lipnicki). Of course, with so many cute little boys and girls, it's impossible to choose - until they come across Stuart, who seems smart, funny, and wise beyond his years. George isn't too fond of Stuart at the start - he expected something a little... um, taller - but this is a kids' movie, after all, so eventually they bond as only a boy and his mouse brother can - by winning a boat race against a nasty bully.

There are a few storylines jammed into this 85-minute extravaganza. Stuart wants to learn about his natural parents, the family cat wants to kill him, and the parents want Stuart and George to get along. The way most of it plays out will come off as standard movie fare - predictable to those of us over 10, perhaps - but the winning charm of Fox as the loveable Stuart coupled with an engaging and appealing cast of characters makes up for any familiarity you might feel. On top of it all - the special effects. Now, I'm not one to heap overweening praise on special effects, but at no point during the viewing of this movie did I consider Stuart (or the cat, voiced by Nathan Lane) to be an artificial computer creation. Sure, you have to suspend belief a little bit for this movie, but hey - don't you have to do that with almost any movie, anyway?
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This one is for adults as well as kids...
TuckMN21 January 2000
A combination of seamless animatronics, puppeteering and computer generated effects make this a completely believable movie.

You will be left wondering "How did they do that?"

But once you stop being amazed at the wizardry involved in just making this movie there is a wonderful story behind it all.

Stuart, who just happens to be a very charming white mouse, is adopted by a very special family -- the incomparable Gina Davis and the ever amazing Hugh Laurie.

This is a story of acceptance, unconditional love and of a great deal of caring -- even though you may be a little "different."

This is a "not to be missed" film -- and adults will enjoy it as much as children do.

In fact, the day that I saw it there was only one child in a nearly full theater; and I had the feeling that many of the adults there had seen it before.

Don't pass up a chance to see one of the best written movies of the year.
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great family film with a good heart
TheUnknown837-19 June 2008
Both "Stuart Little" and its first sequel, titled "Stuart Little 2" are two nice little family films that I recommend for their effective blend of drama, adult humor that never goes out of hand, controlled suspense and violence as well as language, and yet it never gets so immature as to become only for the kids. Some critics thought that the movie might have had some moments too intense or unsuited for young children. I was eight years old when I first saw this film and it never bothered me. I was surprised to find swearing in this film, but again, it didn't degrade the film because it was sparingly used and by that I mean it was only used once or twice.

The character of Stuart is very effectively brought onto the screen. The mouse is entirely computer-generated in an efficient way and the contributions of Michael J. Fox's voice work out very well. The same goes for the other animated characters. All of the live-action performances were well-done and they blended in perfectly with the CGI characters.

"Stuart Little" has a good heart and it is can be a very warm little family movie for everybody to enjoy. I still enjoy it nine years after I first saw the film and I do recommend it. It's a film that will suit audience members of all ages. As long as you enjoy family films.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cheery little holiday film
Shiva-1115 December 1999
Stuart Little: The Little family set out to adopt a child, and choose a amiable talking mouse instead, much to the chagrin of their son and the family cat.

There are two words that describe this movie - words I swore I would never use in a review- : cute and sweet. Based on the children's story by EB White, the story is funny, cheerful, engaging and translates well to the screen.

The filmmakers obviously realized that making Stuart look real was essential to the movie's success and spared little expense (approximately half the film's $60 million budget went to Stuart). The results are phenomenal - you can see each individual hair on his face, his movement is amazingly fluid and when he talks, you forget he's animated . The same techniques are also utilized to make the film's felines talk. The voices - Michael J. Fox as Stuart and Nathan Lane as Snowbell - were ideal choices and help to enhance the experience.

Everyone left the premiere sporting a big silly grin and I think you will too. One note - you'll never look at pest control quite the same again.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overly sugary but still quite fun
bob the moo28 December 2003
The Little family are looking to adopt a boy to give their son George a brother. When they go to the orphanage they meet an adorable mouse called Stuart and decide to adopt him. Despite early resistance from George, Stuart makes himself part of the family, much to the chagrin of the house cat Snowball. To get rid of Stuart, Snowball reaches out to some local alley cats to set up a whack on Stuart.

If my plot synopsis has talked up the mafia connotations of the cats, it is because that is the part of the film that I find the funniest part of the film because it is lacking in the syrup that kind of takes away from the rest of the film. The main story is quite sweet but also has a good sense of humour that will appeal to adults as much as children. It's not perfect for, like I said it does get a bit overly sentimental at times although it just about manages to stay sweetly sentimental and not fall into being sickly sentimental.

The animation is superb and only occasionally does Stuart look out of place in the frame. For the most part it all flows well together and was deserving of the Oscar nomination. Just as deserving is the animal training - anyone with cats will know how hard it is to get the little b*stards to do anything you want, so to have them do so much work is very impressive (although I understand it is all about food).

The cast are all pretty good. Davis and Laurie play it straight and are lumbered with carrying the emotional side of the film and don't have much comedy (a shame considering Laurie's talents). Michael J. Fox does the best work - he makes his Stuart very sweet and likeable; a true prince amongst mice! Lipnicki does OK but is basically just the `cute kid' that is legally required in all American family movies. The funny stuff comes from Lane, Zahn, Kirby, Tilly and, best of all, Palminteri, who's mafia cat is hilarious and sends up his own characters by doing so.

Overall this is an enjoyable family film. It may not be hilarious for adults in the way Toy Story and it's like are but it is not dull. It has characters for adults and plenty for children and it's all a bit of fun with a slightly overly sweet centre to it.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Traumatic misrepresentation of adoption
kenspigl20 January 2000
Not since the "Problem Child" movies have I been this angry at a movie's appalling disregard for the adoption process and for adopted children who may go to see it. In a plot thread which was never present in the E.B. White classic, Stuart is adopted, rather than the biological child of the Littles, and during the course of the movie is taken from the Little home and "returned" to his "real parents." This plot device can do nothing but traumatize the thousands of adopted children who go to see the movie. The issues of the possible return of biological parents and of being taken away from adopted parents probably lurk in the minds of most adopted children, and the depiction of it here came like an ambush as the story unfolded. Shame on the moviemakers for inflicting this on thousands of children in the audience. And shame on reviewers who do not warn potential viewers of this, as they warn about violence, profanity, or other potentially disturbing aspects of movies.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why is this movie so low?
BatmanFunReviews201813 July 2018
The Little family adopt a charming young mouse named Stuart, but the family cat wants rid of him. Stuart Little is a beautifully animated, special effects film that benefits from a very unique storyline but also just a very sweet and charming main star plus Michael J. Fox does an incredible job as the voice of Stuart, Geena Davis and Hugh Laurie were also excellent as his parents and i loved the cat as well. This is a pretty funny and hilarious movie for sure but also deep and really sad at times and that's what makes it such an incredibly well done film. (A+)
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie was great.
moviebuf-4921 December 1999
what a great movie for kids and not to mention for the holidays. there was fantastic funny jokes,some good special effects,and some good acting especially Michael J. Fox as the voice of the title character and not to mention the other good voices. I recommend this movie for people of all ages.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the most adorable film ever made!!
kathleen-93 December 1999
This is the cutest film I've ever seen!! It has good, clean humour that still managed to leave my sides splitting, and is sure to be a hit for all ages. Michael J. Fox's voice fits the little mouse to the tee. Jonathon Lipnicki is fabulous, and so is Geena Davis and John Laurie.. Personally, my favourite character in the film, is that cat! What an attitude! No matter what age you are, I URGE you...go see this film!! You'll be REALLY glad u did!!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cute little mouse in a not so cute movie!
gazineo-129 January 2003
A really cute little mouse is adopted (!?) by a family and start anew life with a mother, father and even a little brother. But he finds some perils in his way, especially the jealous Snowbell, the family's cat. Curious premise is developed with some sharpness until the first half hour but the movie goes adrift after, with predictable, sentimental and unfunny situations. The screenplay is signed by M. Night Shmalayan, the director of the blockbuster "Sixth Sense". For the kids, a good fun but adults will yawn sometimes. I give this a 5 (five).
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice film, great mouse
rbverhoef7 January 2003
Stuart Little is a mouse, adopted by a family of human beings. Geena Davis is the mother, Hugh Laurie is the father and the son is that nice little guy from Jerry Maguire. He wants a little brother, Stuart is smaller and so he is a Little brother. The family has a cat, Snowbell. He is jealous because in a way he is the house cat of a mouse. Stuart is treated just as a human being, which sometimes is a little strange, but it has its own charm. The little Stuart Little in a big human-sized bed, but his own little sports car driving through Central Park. It doesn't make much sense, but it is nice to watch. The story is pretty predictable, but most family films are.

The creation of Stuart is wonderful, he looks great and you start to believe he is a real mouse, adopted by caring parents. The voices are also great. Michael J. Fox as Stuart and Nathan Lane as Snowbell especially are very nice. If you just like a nice film, with a fantastic computer generated mouse and a happy ending, this one will not disappoint you.
CUTE
DoctorSkyTower3 April 2000
Took my 9 year old niece to this a few days ago.

Read the reviews and must admit this little movie was taken a tad *too* seriously. So what if the mouse talks and wears clothes? He gets adopted by humans? He is probably the cutest character I've seen to date, and just look at how well he was animated! His expressions were very human.

Story was nothing new, but lots of action to keep the kids interested. For the children at heart: The cats. They were kewl! Loved their voices.

CONCLUSION? Take the kids to this! Nice to watch something that isn't loaded with the sex and violence you see in movies these days.
Skip it, read the book
Billy-2511 January 2000
Cute movie, but they should have made up a new title. Even my five year-old said it was "not at all" like the book. They left out the character of Margalo, the bird, who was a driving force in the book. There was not a neat happy little ending to the book either. And Stuart was never adopted. Where did that whole story line come from? They must have mixed up the pages with the Annie script.
4 - Stuart Little
danboss-4868429 May 2018
This movie has always been a childhood classic of mine. I use to watch it all the time as a kid and when i watched it recently my childhood just came back. I really enjoy Stuart Little as its a very good family get together movie. From the humor of the cats to the warm "family means everything" gestures of the film plays a strong asset to the movie. Yes it can be a bit silly in some places like Stuart having to do human tasks etc but apart from that its a definite classic!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
M. Night Shamallamadingdong wrote the screenplay?!?
graves-scott25 March 2018
I can't flipping believe it. We were watching this for some background while doing chores and I noticed Shamallamadingdong has a credit for writing the screenplay. We had to go back and make sure I wasn't high on cleaning chemicals. Sure as shootin' there was old Shamallamadingdong's name under screenplay credits. Mind you he wasn't directing, acting and writing this one like he did everything else in his career so someone was there to stop him from making Stuart into a conduit for all the cat-evil in the universe and Snowball a secret agent of the intergalactic mouse police. They kept him from having the father go downstairs and be murdered by all the remote control toys working in concert and the mother from having a torrid affair with one of the evil cats.

Shamallamadingdong... wow... who knew.
Cute movie...a Rob Minkoff's masterpiece
jose_antonio-1412725 May 2017
See this movie is excellent because it re cute, has excellent performances, excellent script and excellent story, is a fun and entertaining movie for the whole family.

I really liked "Stuart Little", it's dramatic comedy with a bit of animation, one of the best movies I've seen, it's about a Mouse that looks for a home and finds it when the little ones adopt it, to George it does not like anything and the cat Snowbell hates it and in a part saves it of some cats that try to eat it to him. In short, it is a film suitable for all audiences. The voice of the mouse in English is done by Michael J. Fox and Snowbell is done by Nathan Lane. I can not stop laughing at the part when Stuart is in the washing machine. I give it 10 points, I love this movie is one of my favorites because the truth is that I loved this movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Childhood classic that will never lose its charm
areatw16 April 2017
I must have seen this film about a dozen times, and I seem to enjoy it more and more with every viewing. It was one of my favourites growing up as a kid and the fact it's on TV practically every week says a lot about how popular it remains, even 18 years after its release.

'Stuart Little' is certainly a crowd-pleaser and a film that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and not just the younger viewers it is targeted at. The cast are all great and Michael J Fox does an excellent job voicing Stuart. 'Stuart Little' is a film that never loses its charm, no matter how many times you see it.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie for all the Family
jacobsmithdude3 September 2015
Note - This is a condensed version of my review

Pros:

To start I felt the voice and on screen actors gave great performances. Michael J. Fox as the voice of Stuart little was a great choice as he brings in my opinion allot of charm and emotion to the role, now it may seem strange to cast him as the voice of a ten year old mouse even though at the time Michael was in his late thirties. It's really hard to comment on though because I thought the voice and the character design fitted perfectly. The rest of the voice cast are great too, Nathan lane as the voice of Snowbell is again another great casting choice, and he brings so much charm to the role as this reluctant and over melodramatic feline, not to mention Steve Zhan as Monty the alley cat who brings allot of wisecracking humour to the role.

The on Screen performances are also very really great; Keep in mind that Huge Laurie, Geena Davis and Jonathan Lipnicki all had to work with thin air, literally. As Stuart was this CGI character, he'd later be brought onto the big screen through post production as all the on screen actors had to work with was maybe a replica doll of Stuart and then would have to do the actual take with just them imagining he was there on the set so it's pretty impressive considering that's what they had to work with throughout the majority of the film.

I also have to mention that the score by Alan Silvestri is incredible. I felt the score truly brought Stuart little to life and made all of these small sized adventures seem more grand and captivating than originally thought. Now some may say that the score can get some what overly whimsical at times however I thought the score was perfect for this film and really stands out during the Central Park Boat Race. Alan Silvestri has performed scores for many films including allot of Robert Zemeckis productions including the Back to the Future Trilogy, Forest Gump, Cast Away and even the first two Predator films not to mention a couple Marvel films including captain America: The First Avenger and the Avengers.

I should also mention the direction of Rob Minkoff is great too; some of the action scenes in the film including the Central Park Boat Race and a car chase that happens later on in the film are very well shot and extenuate how daring these events must be for a mouse like Stuart.

As I said at the beginning of this review Stuart little was nominated for an Oscar for best visual effects, how this wasn't for best original score, I don't know but considering the other two films nominated for best visual effects were the Matrix and Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace, I think the film got overshadowed by those two films but I do think the CGI for Stuart has held up incredibly well and considering the Film came out over 16 years ago, the Oscar nomination is well deserved and plus id rather take Stuart Little any day over, Jar ,Jar Binks.

Cons:

Some of the dialogue is also a bit odd, like there's this scene when Mr little and George are preparing their boat for the Central Park Boat Race. George is unsure about the boat race and Mr Little asks if George is okay and George says he wants to go home. Mr little asks 'why' and George says 'I forgot to bring my lucky underwear, Mr little replies'you don't have lucky underwear' but George replies with 'well maybe we should get some and then come back for another race'. What? I don't know whether that was meant to be funny but to me at least it's a very strange piece of dialogue but then again this movie was written by M. Night Shyamalan so I shouldn't really be surprised one bit.

I'm also not sure how close the movie follows the original novel and keep in mind that I haven't read the novel and I have heard that the worthy follow up Stuart Little 2 follows more closely to the original novel than the first film. I heard in the original novel that Stuart got caught in a window-blind while exercising, and then Snowbell places Stuart's hat and cane outside a rat hole, panicking the family. I believe they may have replaced this scene with the one from first film in which Stuart is accidentally thrown into the washing machine although the Central Park Boat Race is in the original novel.

I think the biggest complaint that this film gets quiet often is how unbelievable it is because well, how can a mouse walk around New York without being stepped on by the foot of a human. How can you adopt a mouse as your son and take him home on the same day, how come cars and boats are operational with inner working parts without the use of an RC steering wheel, and Batteries. You really do have to go into this film with as much suspension of disbelief as possible; otherwise you'll probably hate this Movie for how unbelievable it is.

Final Verdict:

Overall I think Stuart little is a good movie for all the family. Although the film takes some liberates with adapting the film from the novel and the dialogue is a bit odd, the excellent voice and on screen performances, Incredible score by Alan Silvestri and amazing special affects make this film stand out over other family films, the film has also in my opinion has held up surprisingly well after the film was released 16 years ago, in my opinion Stuart Little gets an Seven out of ten
nice
Vincentiu11 November 2014
a nice movie for entire family. a not ordinary hero and his adventures.nothing special but useful for Sunday afternoon. it seems be enough. but not at all. because something missing. a more convincing script, a better acting. but it is a good result and among the films for children, Stuart Little represents a decent work about fundamental values of society. it is not easy to ignore the bad parts but it is only a problem of inspiration and only sin who could be significant is the detail than the film is not very different by a lot of adaptations who are only expressions of originality. a nice film with a nice character. that is all. and, in essence, enough.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Little family just got bigger...
Amityville1516 September 2014
When Stuart Little, an adorable little mouse with a big heart, is adopted by the Little family as a brother for their son George he finds a lot to adjust to in his new home. Whilst Mr and Mrs. Little fall in love with Stuart straight away, George doesn't know what quite to make of his new brother. And when Snowbell the family cat finds he has been displaced by a mouse, plans are soon afoot to get Stuart out of the Little house for good.

This film starred: Michael J. Fox, Geena Davis & Hugh Laurie.

Stuart Little was release in 1999 and is a good family movie in my opinion, it isn't great but it is a heartwarming film about families and how much someone so little can mean so much to a group of three people. This film also has a hint of comedy which I found enjoyable and Michael J. Fox was really good as Stuart Little. I do recommend this film, and I highly recommend that you buy this DVD for your kids because I know for a fact that they will love it.

***/***** Good film
No, It Doesn't Follow The Book
bigverybadtom14 August 2013
But when you think about it, why should it? I read it as a kid, and wasn't really impressed. It felt like a bunch of different scenes rather than a story. Stuart Little is a mouse-like child born (not adopted as in the movie) to human parents in New York City, he gets into some scrapes, he doesn't get along with the family cat, he saves a bird from said cat and the bird would save him later, he goes on a miniature boat ride in Central Park, he receives a small gasoline-powered car, abruptly leaves his family in quest of the bird (who has vanished), goes to a small town, takes a job briefly as a substitute teacher (and does badly at that), goes on a date with a female like himself, but the boat ends up ruined and so does the relationship, and in the end Stuart drives further out in his car.

I wasn't really satisfied with the book even then, and I get the impression that it was more of a satire than a real attempt at a children's story (which was true of the "Alice In Wonderland" stories), and truth be told, it was no shock that the movie would have little to do with the book, which felt more like a bunch of scenes than an overall story.

So how is the movie? Standard children's entertainment which has a more likable Stuart Little than the book's, and predictable. But at least it's suited for the kids, unlike many other movies supposedly for the family.