What's the Worst That Could Happen? (2001) Poster

Who will be the Lord Of The Ring?
jimbo70020 May 2004
Generally speaking, I agree with the masses on the IMDb but in this case I must protest. This movie deserves a much higher rating than a 5. I would personally give it a 7. After viewing several mundane comedies, I found "What's the Worst That Could Happen?" to be refreshing. A quick summary of the plot: Kevin Caffrey (Martin Lawrence) attempts to burglarize billionaire Max Fairbanks' (Danny Divito) home. Max turns out to be in the house and holds Kevin at gunpoint until the police arrive. He then tells the cops that the ring on Kevin's hand belongs to him and the cops force Kevin to cough it up. The problem is that Kevin's new girlfriend had just given it to him. The rest of the movie deals with Kevin trying to get the ring back. Danny DeVito is hilarious and this is my favorite Martin Lawrence movie yet.

The plot is original and I thought the supporting actors were great. I would have given William Fichtner a bit more of a roll. He really had little to do with the plot yet I found his portrayal of gay Detective Alex Tardio to be one of the funniest parts of the movie. I read the book and will admit that the book's ending is a bit more satisfying but not a major issue. I have never seen a group of criminals and scoundrels more likable than the group in the movie. Everyone in the movie; the thief, the rich guy, the politicians, the judges and everyone in the periphery seems to be morally depraved. I guess that is what makes this movie so funny. If you enjoyed "Blue Streak" then you're going to love "What's the Worst That Could Happen?".
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simple, good fun
conjunctionfilms3 June 2001
I read Donald E. Westlake's novel "What's The Worst That Could Happen?" prior to seeing the new movie. This is something I think moviegoers should do, read the book and go to see the movie to compare and contrast. The book is full of rich, comical characters as is the movie, but there are differences.

The film stars Martin Lawrence as Kevin Caffery, a suave, intelligent thief who often cases art auctions for new prizes to steal. However his partner named Berger (John Leguizamo) lets him in a score at a mansion owned by Max Fairbanks, a wealthy businessman (Danny DeVito) who is going bankrupt. The two thieves break in the house and DeVito catches Lawrence and steals his prized ring his girlfriend gave him. He is then bent on revenge and out to get it back.

The plot is basic and works well and the film is smart, funny and actually even silly. Most "silly movies" get trashed and aren't given credit for trying to make us laugh a bit. "What's The Worst That Can Happen" has a good amount of intelligence to it but also has a good amount of summer movie silliness and it fits and works in a comedy that is well made and very entertaining.

Give it chance and it might work for you.

Costars Glenne Headly, Nora Dunn, Bernie Mac, William Fichtner, Richard Schiff, Larry Miller and Ana Gasteyer.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's just plain funny !
MovieDave4 June 2001
Just the name Martin Lawrence kind of makes me laugh, and this movie with Danny DeVito will give you several good belly laughs. Plain and simple, the formula for a good comedy is not all that complex, as this film clearly shows. There's no gross-out humor, or excessive vulgar language needed to make this movie a fun couple of hours. I also genuinely liked John Leguizamo's character throughout the movie. All in all this movie is a barrel of laughs from start to finish.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not great, but certainly watchable
YassenJ9 October 2002
Well, what can I say? It's not the best Martin Lawrence film and its not even one of the top 20 best Danny De Vito films (isn't this little guy one of the biggest comic actors of our time!) but it's a nice comedy, good to rent on video or watch on TV.

Basically the plot is not very imaginative and the movie relies mostly on the actors performances. So I'll concentrate on them in this review. Here it goes:

De Vito is perfect as always. Noone could play the part of the complacent billionaire better than him! He does the best he can do with the material he's given, but his talent could have been used more appropriately if the writers had done a better job...

Martin Lawrence also playes one of his usual parts, quite similar to the part he played in Blue Streak. He does everything expected from him, including getting in disguise more than once and producing some Eddie Murphy-style jokes. But seeing Black Knight and now this, one may ask: isn't he repeating himself too much now? Sure he's funny, but he's also getting annoying to more and more people...

We also have some good-loking actresses, especially the lady playing Lawrence's girlfriend. Their parts are unfortunately too brief to be memorable.

Oh,yes, there's also William Fichtner playing one of the weirdest detectives in the history of cinema! Am I the only one who thinks he was doing a parody of Willem Defoe's character in The Boondock Saints??

As far as the plot, well, it's all about a ring...
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Martin & Danny have great comedic chemistry
michaelsibley4166 September 2004

Joining Lawrence and DeVito is John Leguizamo as Kevin's partner in crime, Burger, Carmen Ejogo as Kevin's girlfriend Amber and Bernie Mac as Kevin's uncle. The addition of these actors is evidence that "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" is a sure hit with all ages.

Lawrence wears two hats in "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" as producer and star and he has success in both capacities. Furthermore, he was a true asset as an actor in "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" because he brought a unique brand of humor.

His style is one to be proud of because he truly makes the comedy enjoyable and the humor so funny you'll be laughing so hard it will hurt. I appreciate his comedic ability and acting talent.

DeVito adds credibility to one truly fun comedy. I couldn't have asked for a better actor to portray Max Fairbanks. There is not a lot to say about DeVito because his lengthy and steady body of work speaks for him. With so many great films under his belt, I knew I was going to be watching a true master at work.

In addition to credibility, DeVito has presence and humor in that made me smile from ear to ear and start to finish. He is solid comedic genius that brings a great amount of comedy and presence that will leave everyone smiling.

Leguizamo has a true niche for comedy as he proves in "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" I wasn't sure how to gage Leguizamo because I have only seen one other film with him, so I was surprised to learn he was one of funniest and talented actors in the movie.

The chemistry between Lawrence and Leguizamo was perfect because they seemed to work so well together. Leguizamo was a great compliment to Lawrence and his brand of humor. I enjoyed every minute they shared the screen because I knew I was going to laugh.

Ejogo was a true pleasure to watch because she brought excitement and charisma to the movie. I relished each scene she was in because I got the opportunity to see a true natural at work. Mac was a true surprise because I didn't expect him to turn in a good performance.

Ejogo joins a handful of actresses that includes Monica Potter, Kate Beckinsale and James King, who are on my list of nominees for the prestigious honor of being called best newcomers of the year. The true geniuses behind "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" were the writers because they created something special.

The writing in this movie is very enjoyable and good because it compliments Lawrence's comedy and DeVito's humor. The games set up by the writers were incredible fun to watch since each scene skillfully crafted.

Also, the audience received a bonus when the writer added action and suspense. Though "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" succeeds mostly with comedy, it also entertains with action and suspense.

I knew with scenes like Kevin's taunts to Max over his cell-phone while he was in a senate sub-committee, "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" will entertain every single person who buys a ticket for this movie. I could not ask for anything more from the writers of "What's The Worst That Could Happen" because watching this story play out is a thing of beauty.

One solid guarantee I can make to potential viewers of this movie: "What's The Worst That Could Happen" will leave you laughing until it hurts. Lawrence and DeVito are a lethal comedic team that fills the screen with laughter, suspense and action. "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" is one of the most entertaining films I've seen.

The bottom line is this film is harmless fun that will delight and entertain you for two hours. I hope everyone gets the chance to see how great these two talents come together and create one of the funniest movies this year.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Worst Happens
wes-connors21 December 2014
Sophisticated thief Martin Lawrence (as Kevin Caffery) attends an auction, looking for prospective victims. He finds something more desirable in beautiful Carmen Ejogo (as Amber Belhaven). Bringing her a landscape painting she had to auction off gets the previously reluctant Ms. Ejogo into bed fairly quickly. After copulating, she gives Mr. Lawrence a lucky ring. He wears the ring while robbing wealthy businessman Danny DeVito (as Max Fairbanks). Lawrence gets caught and Mr. DeVito claims the ring was stolen. Police make Lawrence give the ring to DeVito. DeVito begins to think the ring is lucky, also. The men fight over the ring for the rest of the movie...

The teaming of Martin Lawrence and Danny DeVito may look inviting and funny, but don't expect much from this duo. Although DeVito's draw had diminished somewhat, both were dependable "box office" stars. Here, they are self-assured and unappealing (a toxic combination). "What's the Worst That Could Happen?" features good production values, with nice photography by Anastas Michos. Sam Weisman may have had a difficult time directing his leading men, but some of the other scenes work. Larry Miller (as Earl) and the old lady in the elevator wielding pepper spray (Michelle Youell) are able to evoke a chuckle, but a bad film brings down everyone's best efforts.

** What's the Worst That Could Happen? (6/1/01) Sam Weisman ~ Martin Lawrence, Danny DeVito, Carmen Ejogo, John Leguizamo
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lobotomy's Anyone??
boger9 March 2002
When you think this movie can't get any worse. it does! It is riddled with poor acting on all levels, a moronic plot, terrible acting, a poorly written story line, really bad acting (did I mention that?). They even made Boston look clean..they must of used Industrial Light and Magic to get that special effect. Skip this movie and rent Plan 9 from Outer Space or even Ishtar, they are actually better.
18 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
To Answer the Title...This Film.
Python Hyena23 June 2015
What's the Worst That Can Happen? (2001): Dir: Sam Weisman / Cast: Martin Lawrence, Danny De Vito, John Leguizamo, Glenne Headly, Carmen Ejogo: To answer the question presented by the title, the film could have been so much more worse just by being longer. It is a comedy about a constant attack of bad luck. Martin Lawrence plays a thief who is caught in the midst of robbing Danny De Vito but when police arrive De Vito steals his ring that was given to him by his girlfriend. This becomes a see-saw battle of revenge until reaching a conclusion where theft is rewarded. Director Sam Weisman has comic timing but a poor choice in scripts. He has previously directed such junk as George of the Jungle and The Out-of-Towners. With a list like this it isn't likely that he will be up for any Academy Awards achievement trophy any time soon. Lawrence has seen better days, and De Vito is certainly capable of better. He actually played a role similar to this in Tin Men. Both comics are hilarious when the material is good, but this ranks as merely career suicide. Glenne Headly has an embarrassing role as a fortune teller. John Leguizamo plays Lawrence's partner in crime in a role that is every bit as useless as it sounds. It is a routine comedy nearly devoid of any laughs. So what's the worst that can happen? Lawrence and De Vito could get suckered into a sequel. Score: 2 / 10
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Worst thing about this Martin Lawrence movie? Martin Lawrence!
Jon P.2 June 2001
A talented supporting performance by John Leguizamo and a few somewhat funny, if not completely illogical, set pieces aren't enough to save this movie from being just about the worst thing I've seen all year. Lawrence is bad - unfunny and stupid - but the real criminal is the screenwriter. Whoever adapted this one should have his typing fingers amputated and be forced to work in public access for the rest of his career. How anybody could take a mediocre, but well-plotted and screen-ready novel and turn it into this festering, head-shaking mess of a movie is completely beyond me. There are moments that have phenomenal potential, but they're ham-handedly executed and it seems that the filmmakers just didn't know how to get laughs from them.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hackneyed sitcom material
mattymatt4ever18 January 2002
Martin Lawrence has talent. Danny DeVito has talent. John Leguizamo has talent. Bernie Mac has talent. And where did all this talent go? Absolutely freakin' nowhere!!!

What's the worst that could happen? Write a silly, meaningless script that's not even worthy of receiving the green light as a sitcom pilot and throw in all this great talent to the filmmakers' disposal. The only scene where I recall laughing is the opening where Martin is speaking to a woman at the auction house, and says that the painting on the wall is as fake as her glasses. For the rest of the movie, I chuckled, but even chuckles were few and far between.

Why did Danny DeVito, who we all loved as Louie DePalma on "Taxi," even consider starring in this clunker? All he does is ape around, struggling to hide his embarrassment of being in the movie in the first place. As for Lawrence, he's forced to succumb to the same lame schtick he did in "Blue Streak"--another so-called comedy with a terrible script. Since there's no funny material, he tries to make the audience laugh with stupid, over-the-top antics. Bernie Mac has one funny line, which was given away in the trailers, but I still found funny. Bernie's a great comic with great potential who simply has to find the right outlet. He hasn't been in too many movies, and if he ever decides to commit himself to a career in film, this is not the way to do it.

There's so many other talents that I failed to mention: Larry Miller, Glenne Headly, Ana Gasteyer, William Fichtner. Speaking of good ol' Bill Fichtner, who thought his character--the flamboyant detective dressed like Crockett from "Miami Vice"--would be funny? Crazy, it is. But funny--not! And who thought that scene where Martin Lawrence and John Leguizamo pretend to be Arabs--talking in a gibberish dialect--would be funny? This movie tries and tries and tries to be quirky, but it never succeeds in the comedy department.

I have to say, that chick who played Martin's love interest is really, really hot! I hope to see her in more movies! Also that chick who plays DeVito's mistress.

I was totally bored during the majority of this flat, lamebrained comedy and I hope every actor in the cast regret making this crappy movie and cross it off their resumes. I'd love to see DeVito and Lawrence is a movie together--I think they have great potential as a comedy team--but make sure the script is FUNNY!

My score: 3 (out of 10)
15 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious!
carvenga_vie15 July 2008
Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to give this movie lousy reviews, and I can't figure out why. Both Martin Lawrence and Danny DeVito are totally hilarious, and this entire film is packed with great jokes. Also, a great supporting part by William Fichtner as the dog-loving Detective Alex Tardio, a must-see for any fans of his. The rest of the cast is great too, as is the soundtrack. DeVito and Lawrence are a great pair, and the way they battle with witty comments makes this movie 10 times better, as if it wasn't funny enough already. What's The Worst That Could Happen? is definitely watchable again and again. One of my very favorites. Love it!!!
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Admittedly silly, but a lot of fun
NateWatchesCoolMovies14 June 2016
People rag on What's The Worst That Could Happen all the time. Let em, and screw em while we're at it. Implausible? Yes. Silly? Yup. Ridiculous? Oh yes. Funny? You bet your ass. It's one of those lighthearted Martin Lawrence comedies like Blue Streak or National Security, tripping along an alleyway of lowbrow humour and bawdy antics that you just can't stay mad at, like a friend who does something really dumb and follows up with something that cracks a grin on your face. Lawrence also has the luck to be paired with Danny Devito here, who is funny even when he isn't trying to be. Lawrence plays Kevin, a cocky cat burglar who bungles the wrong dude when he breaks into the not so vacant summer home of sleazy billionaire Max Fairbanks (Devito). Max catches him red handed, holds him at gunpoint and convinces the cops that a family heirloom ring on Kevin's finger is part of the stolen goods, adding insult to arrest. That dick move launches an ego fuelled battle of wills as these two morons find more and more elaborate ways to incite each other's wrath. They each have a little armada who back them up when they aren't questioning their every idiotic movie. Kevin has his gorgeous girlfriend (Carmen Ejogo has sadly made a career of being underused), his partner Berger (John Leguizamo plays around with accents like you ain't never seen) who is the Dumber to his Dumb, and his sassy handler (Bernie Mac). Max is hounded by his witchy wife (Nora Dunn), shunned by his much abused attorney (a dry, delightful Richard Schiff), pawned over by his mistress (Glenne Headly) and secretly lusted for by his chief of security (you haven't lived until you've seen Larry Miller do his thang here). Max and Kevin are engaging arch enemies, with Lawrence mugging for face time a tad too much, and Devito perfectly settled into his shtick as always. I must make note of probably the best performance of the film, from William Fichtner as a flamboyantly gay police detective who hounds all parties involved. He's one part frightening with a side of classy charm, subverting his usual weirdo tough guy image for something even weirder and totally out there. Watch for Lenny Clarke and Siobhan Hogan as as pair of squabbling fellow burglars, and work from Cam Neely, Kevin Chapman and Garry Shandling as well. It's a screwball caper. I love it. Many don't. They can suck it. Check 'er out and make up your own mind.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The answer is the obvious...
patkeith9 June 2001
It's always dangerous to give a movie a title like this, because some "critic" out there is inevitably going to go for the cheap shot of "This! This could be the worst that could happen," no matter how good or bad the film really is. In this case, though, if you're a critic, don't be afraid to use the line. You will not be alone.

I have to admit I didn't see the entire movie. Nor did the several other people who walked out after us (it only takes one person to open the flood gates). It definitely makes you wonder if the critics who are quoted in the ads ever saw this film, or just the money they were paid to fawn all over it.

Martin Lawrence is horribly miscast, and does bits that would have been rejected by Paulie Shore as too tired and stupid in a clear attempt to give the film some comedy. Something which the script totally lacks. Danny Devito does his best, but though he's not miscast, he's obviously cast. Maybe it would have been funnier had Devito and Lawrence switched roles? No, it wouldn't, because you've still got that pesky detail of the script.

One last thing. Were I African-American (or Latino), I'd find the film beyond unfunny into offensive. In the reality of this film, anyone of color is also obviously a thief or con-man. Even the highly educated beautiful young Black woman doesn't skip a beat when she finds out her new paramour is a thief. "If you're a friend of Kevin's," she quips later to John Leguizamo, "I know you work nights."

So let me just say... This. This is the worst that could happen.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What Were They Thinking????
mustican25 December 2005
It is hard to start my comment on What's The Worst That Could Happen?? As the title suggests this film is full with question marks? The film is about Kevin, a professional thief, and Max Fairbanks, a multimillionaire. Kevin breaks into Max's château, but is caught red handed. He also has to give his lucky ring to Max as he says that it belongs to him to the police. Now, Kevin's aim is to get his ring back. Because, it was given to him by his girl friend. Unbelievably, she gives the ring to him in the very first day they meet. Why is this absurd you may ask? Well, because her father gives the ring to her for good luck. She must be hating her father then! As if this is not enough, he also tells her that he is a thief and making his living by robbing people. The girl is absolutely fine with it. Well, I don't know but if there is a survey, only less than 1% of women would be that brave to fall for him, ESPECIALLY, at the first date. Well, film is full with that sort of nonsense. Such a shame that John Leguziamo and Danny DeVito get a negative mark on their CV, for Martin Lawrence, it is quite okay as his CV is not that brilliant for me. The film was supposed to be a comedy but I don't recall myself even smiling. Such a waste of money!! From now, what's the worst that could happen?? Making a sequel of it!!! * out of *****
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Hollywood Talent Filtration System strikes again!
Bryan12 December 2004
The Westlake Dortmunder novels are generally brilliant. So why can't anyone film it right? "The Hot Rock" came closer but still didn't gel for me - Redford as Dortmunder? This time, the whole thing was a mess. Once the movie rights were sold, it seems that everyone involved did their level best to sabotage it until only the premise was left -and the title. Shame, too. Now some people who were subjected to the film might avoid the book. READ THE BOOK! Mr Westlake should sue to have it retitled and an apology should crawl across the screen anytime it airs. No, on second thought, it should be banned and a forcible recall issued. Anyone who has bought a copy should be required to return it to the manufacturer, non-compliance punishable by fines.

Yeah, I hated it.

That much.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The movie that answers its own question.
Newsense1 March 2009
The premise of the movie is this: Martin plays a thief who meets his match when a crooked billionaire(played by Danny Devito) steals his ring in a botched robbery attempt. Martin goes out of his way to get his ring back by making a fool of the billionaire.

My opinion: The movie is Saturday Night Live dull. Martin as well as Danny Devito(who should have known better than to go along with this tedious movie) are not funny. The effeminate cop was hilarious and that is about all the laughs you will get out of this dumb movie. I watched it when I was visiting a cousin who stayed in Trenton, New Jersey and regretted the day I was curious enough to see this wreck. The movie was about as dry as the Sahara desert and should be a shoe in for a razzie award. If this doesn't make your worst movie lists then I am at a loss for words. Have trouble sleeping? Watch this. It's literally visual tranquilizer.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The opposite of funny......
merklekranz28 December 2007
Martin Lawrence drags this supposed comedy right down to the mat. His mugging becomes tiresome, his character becomes annoying, and he just plain can't act. The rest of the cast, including normally reliable Bernie Mac, Danny DeVito and William Fichtner, struggle mightily with the cartoon-like script. The premise that a ring could initiate all this mayhem, is stupid to begin with. "Tin Men" was funny because the premise for the feud, a minor fender bender, was believable. Richard Dreyfus and Danny DeVito made that movie work. DeVito cannot carry this clunker by himself, and everything seems forced. Not funny. Not recommended. Skip this one. - MERK
an enjoyable comedy
Dr. Michael Hollywood10 September 2006
If the box office rest of summer ends up as good as this movie was, movie fans will be in for a real treat. Martin Lawrence returns to the big screen with his hilarious brand of humor as he teams with Danny DeVito in "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" "What's The Worst That Can Happen?" revolves around a would-be burglar named Kevin Caffrey, played by Lawrence, is caught in the act by the home owner, billionaire Max Fairbanks, played by DeVito. The tables are turned when Fairbanks steals Caffrey's ring given to him by his girlfriend. The rest of the film circles around getting the ring back. From this moment on, I knew I was going to be watching one funny film.

The writing in this movie is excellent as it compliments Lawrence's comedy and DeVito's humor. The games set up by the writers were incredible fun to watch since each scene skillfully crafted.

2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
touché' being a detective of the arts is more than meets the eye
Global_Marketing_Pros26 June 2006
This fabulous ring that the Afro-Americans keep chasing originally from the African heritage British accented woman. What makes this ring so fabulous. Any detective would surely suppose that an absolutely fabulous ring of this character could only be worth it's weight in gold. Somewhat like the rates in Squirrel Hill of Pittsburgh P.A., I would hope not. Of course a detective from Boston with a flair for the arts and knowledge of canines would surely assess the value fairly. Just as he would probably assess Russian speaking women of extraordinary rude and EVIL character in Squirrel Hill of Pittsburgh P.A. as equally fair. Unless this all powerful ring is connected with duty, honor, and country then it may be invaluable.

Perhaps this is similar to the ring of Giges that makes the proverbial screen written words termed pros' more lethal when this ring is turned up-side down and inside out "where nothing is beyond him" who wears this ring to guide him. He would live in a world beyond your world, anything he wants he takes. Maybe the capturing of this ring or use is similar to the character of actor John Travolta in movie Swordfish.

Only a flamboyant Boston detective of the arts could fairly say and judge these aspects of film and at the same time color coordinate his socks, shirts, and tie so eloquently. Of course if Russians and persons of African heritage blow each other into millions of pieces over such a ring who would care. Not I.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dislike it the first time? Watch it again.
Queph Thael10 August 2005
This is (in my opinion) Martin Lawrence's best movie. Many say that it isn't very good, and the first time I watched it I would have said the same thing. I originally purchased it for the actors, not knowing how good it was. I was actually rather disappointed in it at first but I watched again because I didn't want my money to be a complete waste. The second time I saw it (and don't ask me why) but I found it much more enjoyable. By the time I had watched it for about my six viewing it had become one of my favorite comedies, and definitely my favorite Martin Lawrence or Danny Devito film. I have also suggested this show to my friend, and just like me they didn't like it at first. But now they are loving and quoting it so I know it is not just me.

So, if you want a film to watch over and over again, get this one. But if you only want to see it once I don't think you should bother with it.
Funny movie, very entertaining
madmatt-519 May 2005
The best scene in this movie is when Devito is in Congress cussing his rear end off. I split my sides every time I've seen this movie. It's not gonna win an Academy award but its well worth watching.

Martin Lawrence can be a bit over the top and some of the scenes in this movie are no exception, but he still has an entertaining way about him.

Danny Devito is quite funny and his role in this is no exception. I just love the scene in congress. Laughing just thinking about it.

I would love to see an actual Senator or Congressman break down like that, it would be a political death shot to any politician, but would be a godsend to all the late night TV shows like Leno and Letterman.
Comedy, larceny & romance
aussie-2013 December 2004
Very funny flick with likable thieves, wicked victims, and lots of smart silliness. A shady rich man catches a thief and the victim robs the burglar. Both men decide that the stolen ring is their own good luck charm, and a continuing vendetta brings on more robberies, cons and battles between DeVito and Lawrence.

The romantic/sexy bits are light and keep the story moving along. Martin Lawrence and Carmen Ejogo are great together, and DeVito gets to carry on multiple affairs in divine comical studliness.

The various cops, cohorts, lawyers, security consultants, psychic assistants, and the fence are all good fun, and the gay, dog-loving detective is just the cherry on top. The flavor of Donald Westlake's criminal farce comes shining through.
Danny DeVito and Martin Lawrence are hilarious
SMLA112 June 2002
Danny DeVito and Martin Lawrence do excellent in this hilarious comedy. Martin Lawrence plays a man who robs a rich guy's house (DeVito) and instead of him robbing, he gets robbed. Now, he will stop at nothing to get the ring that DeVito stole from him. To help him is hilarious John Leguizamo. Also joining them is Bernie Mac and another guy. This movie is very funny. It shows how good DeVito and Lawrence are together.

Overall the movie is very funny and I recommend this to anybody who likes comedy. I loved the courtroom broadcast. That was hilarious. Rating 10 out of 10.
Unfortunately mediocre
kraziken16 January 2002
I have to say I was really looking forward to this movie and missed it in the theater. If any movie was a rental this is it. It is not a horrible movie, just not great either.

With Danny Devito, Martin Lawrence and John Leguizamo, I thought this movie was going to be great. Unfortunately, the laughs that come are too far and between to be worth much.

The movie trailer is much funnier than the actual movie. However, if you have an interest in the comedians, I would say it is worth the price of a rental.