Office Space (1999) Poster

(1999)

Unique comedy experience. HE-larious!
Manthorpe14 February 2004
Easily one of my favorite comedies, and sort of a source of medicine for the pains of working in an office with complete idiots. Ahh, cubicle life. Anyone who's ever worked in a corporate office can relate to this film on some level, and can probably swear that they know someone exactly like one of the characters depicted here. Mike Judge really captures the aspect that makes office life so miserable, which is without a doubt the characters that you must deal with that your personal life would normally exclude. There is no question that he must've had his own bout with the way of the office bitch, as he shows that he knows it all too well. Out of the comedies I've seen, I can most identify with this one.

Kudos to the casting department for putting together a unique group of people to portray the perfect characters for the story. Peter, Samir, Michael Bolton, and especially the Milton and Lumbergh characters, are all a true treat to watch and never get old upon reviewings.

A true comedic classic, but probably for more of a niche audience. Having never worked in an office before, you may not enjoy it as much as others...but then again, I could be wrong and is still worth checking out. But if you have or do work in an office, this movie is a must see!

Office Space has a special place in my heart for others reasons too. Parts of it were filmed within walking distance of my apartment, and my girlfriend lives in Peter's apartments from the movie, which is also right down the street! That just adds even more to the fact that I can identify with this film 100%, especially considering I drive the same way to work as Peter did! Too weird.

Um, yeah, go see it.
202 out of 235 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever Little Comedy
mstomaso14 November 2007
It still boggles my mind that this classic working-person's comedy was overlooked at the box office. Unlike today's dumbed-down, unfunny comedy-schlock, Office Space's script was carefully written before the camera began shooting. Based on his Milton shorts, Mike Judge wrote and directed Office Space and did a great job. The film is cleverly written, nicely plotted and paced, and holds interest even after repeated viewings (something I can not say for most comedies).

Peter (Ron Livingston) and his friends have a permanent case of 'the Mondays.' Stuck in dead end programming jobs in an uncaring corporate environment, with a series of ridiculous, annoying and dysfunctional co-workers, Peter has motivation problems. At the request of his equally aggravating girlfriend, he subjects himself to occupational therapy via hypnotism, but just as he reaches a deep trance state, the hypnotist drops dead, and Peter is left in a state of blissful lack of inhibitions. And as things begin to go wrong, they actually get better - through the films twisted (but oh so truthful) logic.

Ron Livingston leads a nicely cast group of actors, including an early appearance by the now-famous Jennifer Aniston. Diedrich Bader is especially memorable for his heroic portrayal of Lawrence, the next-door neighbor and guru. And Ron Coleman and Stephen Root are wonderful.

I have seen Office Space at least ten times, and it, remarkably, does not get old. The recent tendency to dumb-down comedic film exhibits contempt for its own audience. A return to comedies that don't punish people for thinking would make me a fan of the genre, and this would be a great example to draw from.
54 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As is sure to be the saying by now, anyone who has ever worked in an office should get a pretty good kick out of this one.
Anonymous_Maxine2 April 2001
Every aggravating thing about working in an office, from the traffic on the way to work to that damn copier, is in this movie, and dealt with in ways that we've all wanted to, at some point or another. Well, except for the traffic, of course. The traffic remains undefeated. Besides telling a highly amusing story about office workers who are just fed up with it all, Office Space is full of other little comments on society, such as the way the film points out the sheer goofiness of geeky white guys who listen to hardcore rap music. The film presents a heavily exaggerated version of the typical office, but underneath that exaggeration, the depiction is very accurate. You have the fairly timid but passive aggressive superior, Bill Lumbergh, portrayed hilariously by Gary Cole, the repressive office cubicles, the mumbly guy that kind of weirds everyone out, and of course, the disillusioned office employee who just doesn't care anymore.

Ron Livingston fulfills this last role very well, being very open about his dislike of his job and his intentions to do as little as possible for as long as he still gets paid, but it is the weird guy that really gets laughs consistently, whose name, in this case, is Milton. This guy's hilarious situation involves having been laid off years before without knowing because no one told him, because he still receives a paycheck due to a glitch in the payroll system, and whose primary concerns seem to be the location of his cubicle, his red stapler, and the fact that last year, he didn't receive a piece of cake at the office party. The way that this guy's situation gets consistently worse and the way that he is pushed further and further toward the edge of sanity is one of the funniest things about this movie. And we can't forget the Indian guy, Samir, whose grammatically flawed exclamations also provide for an endless source of comedic entertainment.

Jennifer Aniston plays a small role as Peter Gibbons' (Livingston) love interest, as well as that of a waitress who is also sick and tired of the ridiculousness of her job (such as a specified minimum of pieces of `flair' that employees must wear to work). Ron's home life is another thing that is parodied in this high quality comedy, as the shortcomings of living in an average apartment are clearly and side-splittingly portrayed. Clearly, the office scenes are by far the funniest of the film, and the eventual criminal plot to embezzle a huge sum of money from the company and take up a lifestyle of not really doing anything, despite the fact that it is also very well done, can be largely overlooked because of the sheer hilarity of the rest of the film. This is excellent stuff from the famous creator of the endlessly amusing Beavis & Butt-Head who, with Office Space, has further proved that he is just the type of guy who knows what's funny.
175 out of 206 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Workplace satire sans the trite cliches!
TeaBunny17 March 2000
Hooray for Mike Judge! I didn't think there would be a way to make fun of "office life" without merely being a living Dilbert strip and using all of the same tired old workplace jokes. Kids in the Hall did it, and now Mike Judge has done it also. I am surprised to see Jennifer Aniston in a movie this entertaining! The use of hardcore gangsta rap as the soundtrack to the boys' underhanded deeds and violent ass-kicking of office equipment is hilarious and brilliant. Gary Cole's droning delivery and poor Milton's despondent mumbling doesn't get old... in fact it stays very funny. We all know someone who obsesses a little TOO much about their chair, or how many paper clips they have on their desk... and Milton makes you feel a bit of sad sympathy, especially when he doesn't get any cake. Peter's cronies Michael and Samir are classic software engineer guys that could work at any company, and Peter's construction-worker neighbor (Oswald!) is a refreshing change from the white-collar drones that infest his day. In the end Peter discovers this is the way to go... fresh air, hard labor and a bright orange vest in the perfect antidote to ummm... yeah... that would be great.... this movie is great, whether you're an office worker or not. It makes you think about all the millions and millions of damn cubicles out there... and all the people that fill them. How many of them feel suffocated and hopeless? If this film makes even ONE person take a day off and go fishing, it's done it's job.
92 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Whaaaaaat's happening?
SmileysWorld30 December 2001
I must admit,I did not think much of Office Space when I first saw it in the theater,but I've seen it several times since,and I have got to say it has grown on me quite a lot.This is an appropriate tribute to people like me everywhere who hate their jobs.I am not a big fan of rap music,but the rap score somehow makes the film even more appealing.The plot is hilarious,the characters are hysterical,and it's just a fun movie.If you hate your job want to feel at least a little better about it,this film is for you.
131 out of 157 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Movie I've Ever Seen
jtenos11 July 2004
Incredibly true-to-life story about life at work. Anyone who's ever worked in a large office will find at least one thing, probably more, that they can relate to.

Look at the characters: From the receptionist with the annoying high-pitched voice, to the clueless management, to the soft-spoken guy with no backbone (or so you think), this looks more like a documentary than fiction.

The daily situations of the office environment, including paper jams in the printer, static electricity, and slow computers, are hilarious for some reason when they happen to the people in the movie.

Throw in some great acting, a good story, and the humor of Mike Judge, and you'll find one of the best movies ever made, hilarious from start to finish.
272 out of 339 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta"
Twins6512 February 2004
You'll be wearing' your "Oh Face" after viewing OFFICE SPACE.

This one goes out to everybody who dies a daily death in a "cube", and I think you all know who your are. You can't wait to get out at lunch, head over to some assembly-line crap-food franchise like "Chotchkie's" for some extreme fajitas, and try to make it back in time before the Bill Lumberghs of the house bust your chops for taking too long of a lunch. MMMM-KAAAYYYY! This movie even made "gangsta' rap" listenable, which I thought would never be possible.

Best Scene: Peter dreaming an oiled-up Lumbergh having sex with Joanna, and pausing for a quick gulp from his coffee mug.

Mr. Judge (and 20th Century Fox), I'm still holding my red stapler here, hoping in vain that you'll finally release this on a special edition DVD. Please include the 1991 short on it as well, WHEN you do.

This is the funniest movie of the last ten years, but of course, it failed commercially, and Mike Judge will probably never do another live action film because of that. So thank you America for supporting crap like THE HAUNTING, MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE, and WILD, WILD WEST back in '99, and letting OS die at the box office.
257 out of 326 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clever Take On Office Life
nycritic2 August 2005
Life in the office couldn't be portrayed more accurately in this wicked satire by Mike Judge. A sleeper cult movie, OFFICE SPACE doesn't have that much of a plot as an idea, where every possible cliché of the "employee" and the "manager" is brought to existence during the first half.

The story revolves around Peter (Ron Livingston) who hates his job, and who has a nasty, micromanaging supervisor (Gary Cole, the physical embodiment of the manager/supervisor who we can't bear to see and would love to kill) who has a thing for using the exact template for the company's cover sheet, and Milton (Stephen Root), the office "loser" who can't stand up for himself to save his life and whose cubicle keeps getting moved all around the office building (while he endlessly mumbles about his office rights as compared to his co-workers' rights; his character is that blot people normally take for as the overworked wreck we feel compelled to kick into the gutter). Into this mix is Michael Bolton (not the singer, played by David Herman) and Samir (Ajay Naidu), both having last names frequently made out to be the brunt of co-workers' insensitive jokes and who later assist Peter in a plan to get rich quick and leave the work-force for good.

OFFICE SPACE also revolves around a possible romance about to happen between Peter and Joanna (Jennifer Aniston), a waitress at his favorite restaurant who has her own share of problems, like being micromanaged by her own boss who wants from her the "right kind of attitude" which entails having her wear as much "flair" as her uniform may allow.

As I said, this is not a plot-based story but a clever comedy that presents situations that arise from minimal events at work. Some of the funniest moments are when Peter finds out of a co-worker who by chance has gotten an early retirement -- but at the hefty price of being hit by a car and almost killed while driving to work after contemplating suicide. There is an element of "cartoon" behavior here; Mike Judge, responsible for BEAVIS AND BUTT-HEAD and KING OF THE HILL, seems to like to tell stories about "types" and their personality quirks and how they affect or irritate one another. As a matter of fact, this would have worked perfectly in an animated form, because everything about OFFICE SPACE calls for cartoon setting, but despite being a fully acted feature it holds its own as a slice of life among office employees in Anytown, USA.
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A dose of middle America reality right there on the screen
Ysman21 February 1999
Falling Down meets Dilbert is the best way to describe this suburban tale of cubicle dwellers who are tired of getting screwed by "the man." While the story line is nothing spectacular, the dialog and acting keep this movie moving at a brisk pace. Ron Livingston, who was excellent in a supporting role in Swingers, plays an everyman who hates his life, job, and girlfriend but has no idea what to do about it. The supporting cast of co-workers are greatness representing just about every office sub-culture perfectly albeit to extremes. Jennifer Aniston completes the male fantasy aspect of having your cake and being able to eat it as well as serving as a conscience for the protagonist. Several scenes will have you rolling in the aisles. The Boyz in the Hood kill the copier scene is the funniest I have seen in a while.
32 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Of The Greatest Films Ever Made!
towelie20029 February 2004
I honestly don't think there's enough good things to say about Office Space. It has everything a great film needs: A great story, great acting, great jokes, great soundtrack, great everything! Hell, we even get to like the characters, as with most films no one cares. Even though this is a comedy, it actually deals with a very big issue: disillusionment. And most comedies of this type don't do that sort of thing.

The disillusioned Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston) has an office job at Innitech that he really hates to the point where he confesses that everyday is the worse day of this life because of it. He has two disillusioned friends there: Michael Bolton (David Herman), who gets a lot of harassment due to him having the same name as the singer, and Samir (Ajay Naidu), an Indian immigrant who just wants to keep his job. Two other men who work with them are Tom (Richard Riehle), a man who wants to make a `Jump To Conclusions Mat' to get rich, and Milton (Stephen Root), a mumbling man who can't stand up for himself. Their boss is the evil Bill Lumbergh (Gary Cole), who makes them work on the weekend and torments everyone, especially Milton. Peter loves Joanna (Jennifer Aniston), a waitress at a restaurant he often goes to that he loves, but can't ask her out due to having no confidence and a pushy girlfriend named Anne (Alexandra Wentworth). After being hypnotized by a hypnotist that dies before he can complete the process, Peter gains all the confidence he needs to decide to not quit his job, but just not to go, ask Joanna out and leave Anne. But surprisingly, instead of getting fired, he gets promoted, while his hardworking friends get fired. After this, they decide to get their revenge by putting a computer virus in Innitech's computers to slowly make millions, but it goes horribly wrong.

I love this movie. I really do. Even when I first show the trailer for this in cinema about 5 or 6 years ago when I was about 11 years old I thought it'd be a good movie, and how right was I? Beyond 100% right! All the actors do a great job in this, especially Ron Livingston, who should've got a lot of acclaim for this film. I honestly hope his career becomes really successful someday. I also loved Peter's neighbor Lawrence (Diedrich Bader), who is hilarious. There are other great comedies out there, like Wayne's World (1992) and Joe Dirt (2001), but this is just movie magic! Director Mike Judge is a comic genius! Who thought that the toilet humour of Beavis and Butthead could be beaten by office humour? I hope everyone involved in this film continues to make great films like this.

Oh, and just before I finish this review, I have to say one thing. Even though I love this film to death, I honestly hope they don't make a sequel. This is just one of those rare films that are perfect, and I don't want an inferior sequel(s) to ruin this. A sequel should only be done if it's just as funny (if funnier) than this. And besides, the plot has no where to go, so they should leave this alone. The best way I can sum this film up: A brilliant classic!

Rating: 5/5!!!
91 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Uh, Yeaaah, Peter...What's Happening?..."
jhclues4 March 2001
There's something about a study of life in a `cubicle' to which just about everyone can relate; at least everyone who has ever had to get up every day, go to work and punch a time clock, then go home and wait to do it all over again the next day. In `Office Space,' writer/director Mike Judge (the guy who gave us `Beavis and Butthead') captures the essence of the work-a-day world, in this case in an office setting, though it could be on any job anywhere, from the largest conglomerate to the smallest business concern; anywhere a `corporate structure' is in place and employed. The subtle humor of Judge's vision is funny, and often downright hilarious, and all with very little exaggeration of the way things really are, from the weekly `motivational' talks from the boss, to staff meetings, corporate `mission statements' and the protocol of cover sheets and memos, all of which-- as portrayed here-- have a sterling ring of truth to them. The central character of Judge's story is a guy named Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston), a software analyst for `Initech,' who after working with a therapist finds himself in something of a transcendental state of mind, whereupon he divulges to a pair of consultants-- `efficiency experts' sent in to streamline the company's operation-- that he does only about `fifteen minutes of real work' a week, due to the very structure (or lack thereof) of the company itself. And his refreshingly honest candor in outlining his job description soon has quite an unexpected effect on his life, as well as that of a couple of co-workers. Judge perceptively expands the satire to encompass facets of Peter's life outside the office, as well, which gives the audience even more with which to identify, like driving to work in bumper to bumper freeway traffic that has slowed to a stop-- in Peter's lane-- while the cars in the next lane going flying by; and when he changes into THAT lane, IT comes to a standstill while the cars in the lane he just left start to whiz on by. It's an application of Murphy's Law that -- while certainly nothing new-- works well within the context of this particular story, in which the humor is derived from emphasizing the annoying, mundane things that happen to us all on a daily basis. Like getting in the shortest line at the supermarket and taking longer than anyone else to get checked out. Livingston gives a notable performance, giving Peter that sense of the `everyman' who'd like nothing better than to break free of the rigors of the 8 to 5 existence. He brings an affable presence to the screen that perfectly communicates what Judge is attempting to say, and does it in such a way that it validates Peter's being selected as `Champion of the Cause' as it were. Also turning in memorable performances are Stephen Root (a terrific character actor), as Milton, a guy whose very existence seems to be a study in suffering abuse and degradation; and Gary Cole, as Peter's boss, Bill Lumbergh, whose impudent, laconic methods of intimidation, delivered in such a droll manner, make him the boss everybody loves to hate. The supporting cast includes Jennifer Aniston as Joanna, the waitress with a minimum of `flare' who has trouble `expressing' herself, according to her boss; Ajay Naidu (Samir); David Herman (Michael Bolton); Richard Riehle (Tom); Joe Bays (Dom); John C. McGinley (Bob Slydell); Paul Wilson (Bob Porter) and Diedrich Bader (Lawrence). Reminiscent of the world portrayed in the `Dilbert' comic strip, `Office Space' works because it effectively puts real people in real situations, and brings you into contact with some characters you're going to recognize; I guarantee that no matter what you do to live, thrive and survive, you've run into these people, worked for them, and alongside them. It's a case of art reflecting reality, and to Judge's credit he's succeeded in making a funny movie that really hits close to home, without resorting to any gross or infantile humor to do it. It's a film that simply puts the `corporate experience' in the spotlight and gives you a chance to laugh at `the boss,' and maybe even a little bit at yourself along the way. I rate this one 8/10.
83 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Um yeah, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of rate this one a 9
fivefids9 February 2004
If you work in a cube, and love satire, this is your movie! Those who would slam it probably do not get it and that's fine but those of us who do will see it multiple times. This movie does for office workers what "This Is Spinal Tap" did for musicians. That means it may not be a movie for everyone but for those chosen ones, it means getting together with friends a couple of times a year to enjoy a classic and quote it constantly on those other 363 days when they're not watching it! If you are a cube dweller, then I need you to go ahead and check out this movie, uh that would be great. I too rated it a 9 because of the gangster-rap soundtrack. Save for that, I would've gone ahead and rated it a 10.
129 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For all who have worked in cubicles, this flick's for you
rupie1 September 2008
As someone who is recently retired from cubicle life in the software business, I have to say this movie hits all the high points. Every nasty, annoying, nonsensical facet of life in the high tech world is lampooned here in a highly intelligent, perceptive and hilarious way, from the grating voice of the secretary answering the phone, to the endless memos on insignificant subjects, to the constant watching your back to see who gets laid off next. They even have the fashions right, as witness the matching tie and suspenders of the boss we all hate. I can see how viewers who have not lived this life might find the movie pointless, but for all of us who have been there, this is a must-see film. Particular mention must be given to the brilliant (I don't use that word often) script, which makes so many subtle points so effectively. I think this is going to go down as one of those "sleeper" classics. I myself had never heard of it until my former boss (herself a victim of the downsizing portrayed so hilariously here, although not so hilarious for her) mentioned it in a meeting. If you love "Dilbert", this is it brought to the screen.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Acerbic look at the work place
jotix10027 November 2006
Mike Judge knows quite well the characters he has gathered in a fairly large office. It could be anywhere in the country. Most of us spend most of our lives doing jobs that are not rewarding and they become a dull routine. In large places, like the one we see in the film, some of the supervising personnel are pompous and love to bully the people under them, which is the case with Bill, the coffee drinking supervisor, who loves to make Peter's life miserable with the petty little details, like not having the reports with the proper cover sheet.

Milton, a lonely man, seems to live to go to work. He surrounds himself with the right things to put in his time at the job. One of his prize possessions is the red stapler that the cruel Bill, takes away from him, leaving him sort of naked in the office. There are also Samir and Michael Bolton, the only friends Peter can rely on, especially in the long coffee breaks they must take just after they have arrived at the office.

Peter is lost in this milieu until two things happen to him. First, is the therapist that hypnotizes him and then proceeds to drop dead right in front of Peter, leaving him in a state of Nirvana. The other is the appearance of Joanna, the friendly waitress of the restaurant where the friends meet. This young woman is the one that brings Peter out of his shell as he falls for her big time. Joanna, who is made to wear about fourteen different pins in her uniform, is also dissatisfied with her own life until she finds in Peter a kind soul mate.

Mike Judge, who wrote and directed this film, presents all these characters without making them stereotypes. We all have known them, in some form, or another, and yes, we can identify to the life they live because we have been exposed to most of these characters in our working lives.

Ron Livingston makes Peter a personal triumph. He clearly understood his character and plays it without making a caricature. Jennifer Aniston was another surprise in the film. Her Joanna is one of her best screen work. Stephen Root makes a wonderful Milton, the strange man we have met before in our own life. Gary Cole is perfect as the supervisor without a clue. David Herman and Ajay Naidu are seen as Peter's office pals.

We had not seen this film since its release and on second viewing it still holds our interest thanks to the excellent material Mike Judge wrote for the occasion where we see ourselves and our co-workers in the big screen.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm glad I never worked in an office
oliver-12326 January 2007
I did not follow The Office on UK television, in retrospect a mistake, perhaps, but after seeing this, and Nine to Five, and others, I am so glad I never had to put up with this. It all rings gruesomely true, because the performances make it so credible: it may be hard to believe in anyone as terminally nerdish as Milton, but he was very well played, and so was the Lumbergh character. I suspect everyone who reviewed this has commented joyfully on the complete mashing of the printer - also, maybe, everyone who has ever used a PC or a Mac and got enraged when it throws a snit and decides not to boot up or to crash or just not to do something for its own arcane reasons.

My only regret was not seeing much of the divine Jennifer Aniston. She didn't have all that much to do. I'd love to have seen her tearing a strip off her obnoxious boss instead of just giving him the finger, but you can't have everything.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A rare sleeper of a comedy that defines our times with cringe inducing accuracy. Wickedly funny!
atdmullally15 August 2007
Arguably one of the most quotable movies of today's average working stiff's generation. Lumberg and Milton are such classic characters you must be seriously independently wealthy and never worked a day in your life to not be able to identify with a classic movie like Office Space. Thank goodness dudes like Mike Judge exist in Hollywood. I can't imagine a world without a great little flick like this still kicking around. While it would never be considered Oscar type material, I can't help but to think that after all these years, this movie remains among the most tragically over-looked and under appreciated comedies. For no great critical reason other than pure fun factor and pop culture relevance, Office Space remains firmly, a true classic of our time.

and Michael Bolton probably hasn't sold a single album since...
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life in an American Office
claudio_carvalho29 August 2010
In the Initech office, the insecure and bored Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston) hates his job and the abusive Division VP Bill Lunbergh (Gary Cole) that has just hired two consultants to downsize the company. His best friends are the software engineers Michael Bolton (David Herman) and Samir Nagheenanajar (Ajay Naidu) that also hate Initech, and his next door neighbor Lawrence (Diedrich Bader). His girlfriend Annie is cheating on him but she convinces Peter to visit the hypnotherapist Dr. Swanson (Michael McShane). Peter tells how miserable his life is and Dr. Swanson hypnotizes him and he goes into a state of ecstasy. However, Dr. Swanson has a heart attack and dies immediately after giving the hypnotic suggestion to Peter. He dates the waitress Joanna (Jennifer Aniston) and changes his attitude in the company, being promoted by the consultants. When he discovers that Michael and Samir will be fired, they decide to plant a virus in the account system to embezzle fraction of cents in each financial operation into Peter's account. However Michael commits a mistake in the software and instead of decimals, they steal a large amount. The desperate trio tries to fix the problem or they will go to prison.

"Office Space" is an ironic comedy about life in an American office. The characters are stereotypes of people in company and it is always possible to find someone similar to a colleague or a situation that the viewer might have lived and that is the reason why most of people like this film. Some jokes are universal, like the feeling of having a bad case of the Mondays. This is the second time that I watch this film that is overrated in IMDb. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Como Enlouquecer Seu Chefe" ("How to Craze Your Boss")
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"You've been missing a lot of work lately..." "Well I wouldn't say I was missing it...."
jono19759 January 2005
Without a doubt one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

I was laughing out loud right from the very start.

I think anyone who has ever worked in an office should be made to see this movie and especially their bosses.

All the characters are very funny, the situations are very funny. The dialogue is very funny.

I love the scene where they take a printer into a field and bash the hell out of it.

If you don't find this movie hilarious then you probably liked Lost In Translation and more than likely didn't get any cake...
83 out of 155 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A truly exceptional comedy
perica-4315121 July 2018
This movie is original, perfectly captures frustrations and it does not take itself too seriously. It well deserves the cult following it gets. Perhaps not innovative in its cinematography but it has brilliant storytelling and wit. A classic
Absolutely Brilliant and Funny
amscloudnine23 March 2015
Mike Judge carves out a rare depiction of life in the IT world. It's not something the Hollywood writers seem to know or write about. He has lived it and knows it quite well. The script, the characters, the plot, the depiction of life in the modern IT world all fit in perfectly. This movie broke a lot of ground that has later been copied or slightly differed. If you like shows like "The Office" and "IT World", you will thoroughly enjoy this.

I remember during the financial crash of 2K, I was in an IT shop then. Just before they closed down the entire division, we should this movie against a white wall in our cubicle area. Even the upper level managers there laughed. We were at first a little nervous about showing it but hey, we were all being layed off and replaced by cheaper off-shore labor anyways. The humor hits home on a lot of truths.

Hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did. Mike Judge is brilliant.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bad case of the Mondays.
Sirus_the_Virus2 February 2010
"Looks like you have a bad case of the Mondays", "If they movie my desk again i'm quitting", "I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday, and also come in on Sunday too", " Are you related to the Michael Bolton?"

There are so many famous quotes from Office space. It's a very funny film. The best that Mike Judge has ever directed. And I have enjoyed all of his films. But there really isn't any denying that Office space is his funniest.

I can relate to the main character. I wish I could do that sort of thing. There are also so many famous parts in the film. Such as when the main character and all of his friends destroy a crappy printer.

Peter(played by Ron Livingston)hates his life and his job. One day he decides not to go to work. And he also considers not going back for the rest of his life. On his day off, he meets a waitress(played by the always lovable Jennifer Aniston)and they start to see each other.

Peter decides not to work cause after experiencing a heart attack, he realizes that he doesn't have much time on Earth. After a meeting with a couple of executives, they are convinced that Peter is the perfect employee. So they decide to promote him.

All is good for Peter. Until the executives decide to fire Peter's best friends Michael Bolton(not the singer) and a middle eastern guy. So they decide to con their business out of a lot of money.

Everyone in the film is hilarious. Even the side characters. There is a weird guy named Milton(played by Steven Root) and Peter's boss Lumberg(played by Gary Cole). Both very funny characters.

There is no doubting that this is Jude's finest work. I loved Idiocracy, though absolutely retarded. I didn't love Extract but I did enjoy it. Office space is a classic. Judge has only done three films, but has created a couple of shows. I hope to see more films from him.

Office space: A
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Second best movie ever made
Qutmaster30 December 2009
I first saw this movie when it came out a decade ago. A few years back I decided to see it again because I wanted to see the whigger-scene and the beat up again. 7 years older and with a little more experience of life – life in a cubicle that is – I realized that this must be the second best movie ever made. If someone calls it THE best movie ever made I won't argue - people is allowed to have different opinions on things like this. I no longer work in a cubicle and I hope I never will do it again. Ever! And this movie is a reason for this. I more or less owe it my life. So thank you Mike Judge for one of the best script ever written. Every scene is nuthing but on point!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An excellent comedy...I just don't understand it obtaining "cult status".
MartinHafer7 September 2009
OFFICE SPACE is an irreverent comedy that makes fun of the inanities of work--particularly in a cubical-ed office where the bosses are morons (not that any of us have ever worked in such an environment, mind you). The film is made up of lots and lots of weird personalities and the stars are Peter, Michael and Samir. Oddly, however, the idea for the film came from a wonderful little animated short by Mike Judge in which the only character was Milton. In other words, while Milton was the inspiration, in the film he was a purely secondary character--though he also was, in my opinion, the funniest thing in the movie. Like Judge's cartoon, in the movie, Milton is completely stepped on and ignored as he mumbles. No one notices that he's mumbling about burning down the company and killing people!! As for the plot, it all revolves around trying to find the best way to work the least and yet keep from getting fired. Michael and Samir haven't mastered this, but Peter, in a funny twist, accidentally hits on the key for not only goofing off and keeping your job but also actually getting advanced in the company! There's a heck of a lot more to it than this and I advise you to watch it--it's very funny, well written, directed and acted.

Here's a final observation. OFFICE SPACE is a very, very good comedy and I enjoyed it very much. However, sometimes I wonder why some films become cult hits and others whither and fade. While OFFICE SPACE didn't do well at the box office, on video and DVD it has already sold 108,902,023,093 copies (and counting). On the other hand, another Mike Judge film that bombed at the box office, IDIOCRACY, also bombed on video and is as popular as leprosy---why is this? I loved both films, but given a choice, I would prefer to see IDIOCRACY and so would many of my friends...yet OFFICE SPACE is the cult hit. I sure wouldn't have been able to predict this--which shows you why I'll never get a job in the film industry (they'd go belly-up in no time).
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Dilbert were a movie ...
AlsExGal8 January 2012
Office Space highlights the absurdities of the modern day workplace, and the high tech workplace specifically. Everyone at computer software company "Initech" hates their jobs, especially Peter Gibbons (Ron Livingston) who feels trapped in a treadmill of unrewarding monotonous work as he rewrites and tests other people's software to insure it is Y2K compliant. Simultaneously, he feels equally trapped in a relationship with a woman who treats him like an unsatisfactory employee. Peter represents all of the 25-35 year old white collar workers who know they are not doing what they want to with their lives but simply find initiating a complete career change as too scary, as if anything could be worse than what they are putting up with already.

I'm positive that someone involved with this movie has a deep understanding of working in software, because I easily recognized each of the various types of people represented in the cast - even the psychotic coworker, Milton, who keeps coming to work when they move his desk to the basement and stop paying him. Gary Cole's performance of Bill Lundburg hits the bullseye as the boss that understates in a calm voice everything that he wants, but then has no problem firing people if they don't meet his understated demands. What seems like a post-it note is actually a subpoena, in Lundburg's eyes. One of my favorite scenes is when he is having everyone come in and basically beg for their jobs by justifying their positions. One older worker only seems to have one function - to carry the requirements from the requirements writers to the software engineers. When the bosses try to probe more deeply into his skills he gets angry and bellows "Are you blind! Can't you people see I have valuable people skills!".

Ultimately, Peter and his coworkers bungle a scheme to embezzle from the company by writing a program that extracts fractions of pennies per iteration. Instead of producing many very small checks, the program winds up producing one huge check that is bound to attract attention. How does all of this work out? Watch and find out. Highly recommended.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Near perfect comedy
ingemar-422 December 2011
Only a few things keep me from giving Office Space a top rating. Let's start with what I like:

• Great acting, ranging from good (Jennifer Aniston, David Herman and pretty much everybody else - there is hardly any bad acting, all act as if it was for real), great (Ron Livingston, Gary Cole, Joe Bays) to amazing (Stephen Root, Michael McShane). Only a few characters are annoying, and they are supposed to be (Greg Pitts, Todd Duffey).

• A story that is both funny and touching, by being close to reality, just with that exaggerated touch that turns it to comedy.

• Visually great, on the right scale.

Essentially, this could have been a Dilbert story, except that some characters are even more deficient than in Dilbert, Milton Waddams (Stephen Root) in particular.

So why not a perfect 10? Just one thing, really, the stupid discussion about Joannas past relationships. Who would discuss that i the first place? The following nightmare about his villain-boss having sex with her also felt lower than the otherwise high level of the movie. I didn't mind the question about his old girlfriend being unfaithful, it was subtle which made it funny, but these later parts felt crude and unfunny.

But the rest of the movie was definitely something extra.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.