Jack Frost (1998) Poster

(1998)

'Rocker' Keaton...
paul_muscat5 September 2000
What I thought was essentially a kids' movie turned out to be a much more pleasurable experience. I know, I may be biased a bit towards anything MK-related, however even my best friend (who was with me at the time when we saw it) liked it a lot, even if we saw it closer to Summer rather than Christmas (it came out in Malta, Europe - where I was still living at the time - like some 6 months after it came out in the US!). Anyway, Michael Keaton yet again gives a great performance as a 'snow'man trying quite desperately to make up for lost time. Kelly Preston is good too as his wife and the kid is ok-ish (we've seen much better kid actors, in my opinion). It's only Mark Addy who seems like a fish out of water and looks like he's only in it either because he's a friend of the director or something! He just doesn't seem to gel! All in all, a very cute and neat movie, with good work from Keaton and a rocking good soundtrack, with tracks from the boys Hanson, among others, and Keaton himself raunchily singing a couple of tracks penned by someone from Yes. Great for a night in with the family.
32 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Extremely underrated
RunningFromSatan23 February 2000
I have been resenting this movie for the longest time. But I should have seen it before today...but I shouldn't trash what I haven't seen, right? Because it was a good movie. I happened to catch it on HBO Plus today...it kind of dragged on a little bit, but other than that...ok, I have to admit it, it was kind of touching. I think I saw one review trashing the special effects...come on, how low can you go? I think the people that hate this movie had to have seen a LITTLE bit of something that they liked...it's a family movie that appeals to kids and adults, and that's what I think it did. I will leave it as that. A great Christmas movie. 7.5/10
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
CUTENESS! all the way
janelglin26 November 2001
This movie is a really cute movie and a great one to watch around the holidays with your family. It's not too cute though so that it becomes unlikable. It was interesting to see Michael Keaton in the Dad role (I've never him as anything besides Batman) and I think he made a really good Dad. I liked the way they dealt with death, it had a very real sense about it. Which is strange, because you have the Dad come back as a SNOWMAN (hah) but once you get over that (it does take a little while, don't give up) it becomes really nice. I like the ending - I guess I shouldn't give it away, but it was sweet without being corny. There is a really thin line between cuteness and overkill, but this movie is still on the cute side. (I gave it 9/10.)
33 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent family movie.
Decio2 January 1999
My daughter and I saw this movie today, and I actually say that it could as well be rated G, and that the message has been very good, specially for those whom never stop for a moment to evaluate which is more important in life: family, or work and finances. In real life we know it would be impossible to happen, however the motivation in this picture might wake some people up to reality, and more home dedication. Very well done.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A snowdad is better than no dad........
slayer-330 December 1998
Ok.. This movie seems to be getting a rash of negative reviews. 1).Bad special effects-this movie was NOT made to "show-off" special effects. I didn't go for the special effects 2).Lame story- why did you go to the movie in the first place when you knew it was about a deceased dad coming back as a snowman. I didn't go hoping for a realistic plot. 3) Bad acting- Did you actually expect to see an Oscar nominated performance from a talking snowman.

Lay off the negative aspects and enjoy the movie for what it is. I obviously had reservations about going to see this movie, but our 2 1/2 year old daughter wanted to go. She wanted to go to see Jack Frost, the snowman.

Hey, a movie of a real live snowman - Is this what it really is about? This movie has a story to tell. And that is what makes this movie a little more special. For those of you who overlook or can't see the meaning of the story, probably do the same with the 'magical' season it is intended to represent.

*** out of *****
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great family film for Christmas time!
Wayne Eastwood3 December 1999
This film definitely deserves higher marks, I don't know why anyone would give it a 1??? I was going to give it a 9, but decided on a 10 to bring up the percentage- help me out people! There is something for everyone in this movie, fun snow action for the kids, lessons on being a good friend and sticking up for others, lessons on being a good father, and a great soundtrack including some pretty good blues tunes! This movie also dealt with the death of a loved one in a very real way- not bad for a comedy/drama. I've always liked Michael Keaton and he doesn't disappoint me here.
30 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie, Give it a 2 Thumbs up!!!
mandy_candy725 November 2000
Jack Frost was a great movie. How could any of you give it a 1? it deserves a definate 10! The story is about a father and a son who are extremaly close. Jack Frost(Keaton) dies in a car accident and comes back as a snow-man because his son, Charlie(Cross) plays a magic harmonica. They have a great time catching up on things. As you know snow-men cannot live forever, eventually Jack has to leave but is never forgotten. It's a great family film, the actors are terrific. Joseph Cross is a major hottie!! Enjoy the show, what's a movie without a little magic? Also check out for the soundtrack, great music! 10/10
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Wonderful Heartwarming Movie
funky_cherry8625 October 2007
Jack Frost, is a great holiday flick to watch around the Christmas season Michael Keaton played the role of the main character pretty well it was amazingly good. This story is about a musician whose trying to make it big in the music business and provide a good life for his wife Gabby (Preston) & their son Charlie (Cross). However he has a tiny problem keeping promises and missing out on important events. Things take an unexpected turn when Jack dies in a car accident before Christmas, one year passes and Charlie still misses him very much. After building a snowman something mysterious happens the snowman comes to life with the spirit of his father in it. Now Jack has the chance to make up for lost time and bond more with his child before disappearing forever. My favorite scene is when Charlie & his mom see Jack's spirit for the last time before saying goodbye that made me cry a bit.

This movie is so wonderful and it has an important message it's never too late to spend more time with your family all in all it's a fantastic flick to watch with your family.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I admit it, I cried . . .
Lee B30 May 2000
Sorry everyone, but I liked this movie. I even cried at the end. My kids freaked when the snowman started to talk and move - one of them got scared by a guy in a teddy bear suit when she was about 3, and she hasn't got over it yet (2 yrs later). They had loved the start of the movie, with the snowball fight and building the first snowman, but as soon as the second snowman came to life we had to turn the video off.

I couldn't believe in Kelly Preston as the mother of an 11-yr-old boy, but in spite of that the casting was great. And Michael Keaton with blond hair is such a hunk . . .

Give it a go!
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Classic.
jamieoconnor-7276112 December 2020
Worlds most underrated Christmas movie. The soundtrack alone is amazing. Keaton gives the performance of his career.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
SNOWMEN
Littlejess56113 December 2018
It's a taking snowman, plenty of snowball fights, skilled kids that can snowboard seriously well. An all round Christmas film
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Family Fun!
famousgir122 July 2001
Jack Frost is a happily married man, with a son. Until, one stormy night, Jack dies and a year later he is given the chance to come back as a snowman to visit his wife, Gabby and son, Charlie. Jack Frost is a really sad film but a great one, at that. Michael Keaton, Kelly Preston, Joseph Cross and Mark Addy are just some of the brilliant cast included in this great film, which also has some really great music. I give Jack Frost a well deserving 10/10. This film is a must-see for everyone.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very heart-warming
michaelsibley4166 September 2004
I will never understand why so many viewers dislike "Jack Frost." It is a movie with heart warming and refreshing storyline. Michael Keaton stars as Jack Frost in this awesome movie about getting a second chance at being the world's greatest dad. Kelly Preston, Joseph Cross and Mark Addy co-star.

I first noticed Joseph Cross, Charlie Frost, in the 100th episode of "Touched By An Angel" and since then I knew he was a talented young actor. Cross once again teamed with Keaton in "Desperate Measures" another awesome movie overlooked by the viewing audience.

"Jack Frost" is the kind of movie that has heart-warming moments intertwined with comedic wit. Keaton and Cross seem to have a lot of fun making this movie together and it showed in their performances. Scenes like the one that had Jack Frost throwing snowballs at the school bully and his friends as well as the chase that followed made it all worthwhile to see because this is what makes movies so good.

Watching this movie, it reminded me of "Ghost" because of its sweeping and heartwarming storyline.

Chemistry is one of the elements I look for in a great movie. "Jack Frost" has this element and more. While an unusual but a brilliant pairing, Keaton and Preston bring chemistry to "Jack Frost," a movie that seems to be better than others I've seen before.

I think Michael Keaton is one of the best actors I've seen and his performance in "Jack Frost" is one of his best films to date so WATCH it.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant and emotional film
IanLyons7 January 2005
This film is a heart warming and a very deeply moving film which creates a tremendous sensational atmosphere.This film is about a father, Jack Frost (Michael Keating) who does not keep his promises, and then one Christmas morning he is driving and realizes that he he should be with his family on Christmas, he turns around and then starts to drive back home.Jack dies in an accident.

His son Charlie Frost (Joseph Cross) plays his father's harmonica one year later before Christmas and the snowman that he built comes to life.Which is his father Jack.His father thinks that he is back as a human till he sees his face in the window reflection.This he cannot believe.He soon overcomes this and then realizes what he has to do, gain back his love from his son.He tries to speak to his son Joseph but he even cannot understand that his father is a snowman.But soon he manages to control himself and confronts the snowman.Jack the snowman tells Charlie that he is his father, Charlie then accepts and then takes Jack inside the house and tells him what has happened since he has been away.

Later in the film he tries to tell his mother Gabby (Kelly Preston) that Jack is back as the snowman.Gabby does not believe him and thinks that he is sad that his father died the year before.Then his friends see him talking to the snowman and think that he is crazy.Charlie soon begins to re-love his father.But the ending is heart breaking.The winter season is ending and then snow is melting as well as himself.He risks his life to see his son play ice hockey for the first time.When the game finishes he sees his father slowly melting tries again to tell his mother that the snowman is his father but Gabby still does not believe him so he takes matters in his own hands.He takes his father on a truck which went up the mountain which was cold enough to keep Jack alive as a snowman.

This last part is the happy and sad part,where Jack and Charlie jump off the truck and then go to a little home on the snow, where Jack tucks his son Charlie into bed and phones his wife Gabby and tells her that Charlie is safe.Gabby recognizes the voice and then the next day Gabby drives up the mountain to see her son.Charlie and Gabby then goes outside to see the snowman and then Gabby realizes that the snowman is her husband and then Jack tells them that he has to leave forever.Then a wind picks up around Jack and then the snowman, Jack then is seen as the human.Jack then says goodbye and then he vanishes.

This is a very emotional film and I personally will think that anyone will find this film brilliant.Ten out of Ten.

Written by Ian Lyons
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated
reesey-boy25 December 2018
Who is even reviewing this? This is a family classic.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why is this rated so badly?
sophiahwright24 December 2020
Why is this movie rated so badly? It's actually a really cute and magical little Christmas movie! Definitely has the Christmas spirit which most Christmas movies are lacking these days. Give it a shot!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best film
kingy200224 December 2019
Such beautiful and sad Christmas move ever i think love this movie
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome Family Fun!!!
Pumpkin_Man29 November 2008
This is a really good family film that takes place around Christmas. To me, it's not really a Christmas movie, but more of a family film that could be watched around Christmas time. (If that makes any sense.) A musician named Jack Frost spends too much time with his music, than with his son and smokin' hot wife. He gives his son, Charlie a harmonica that he says is magic. When Jack has to leave on Christmas Eve, his son gets mad and gives him back the harmonica. Jack changes his mind and decides to go back. While driving, he has a terrible accident and dies. A year later, we see how Charlie and his smokin' hot mom deal with the pain. It's actually quite sad to think about having no dad at Christmas time. Charlie builds a snowman just for the heck of it, and later plays his dad's harmonica. Jack comes back, but in the body of the snowman. Throughout the film, Charlie and Jack have fun and get into misadventures. Until it gets hot, Charlie tries to save his dad from the heat, but Jack knows that he only came back to temporarily for a 2nd chance. If you love comedy, Christmas, and your family, including dad, you'll love JACK FROST!!!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awesome heart warming film
MichaelOates4 April 2004

5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet and touching movie -- a 7 out of 10
timtindy27 January 2000
Okay. I know this film is sappy. And the first 5 minutes are painfully slow. But if you can handle some sap, this is a well-made movie that effectively explores the topic of what it's like to have to deal with loss: in this case, the loss of one's father and to a lesser extent one's husband.

Michael Keaton is Jack Frost, a loving husband and father who, one fateful Christmas day, loses control of his car and dies. He returns the next year in the form of a snowman to get another chance to be with his son.

This is most definitely not a comedy, and to the filmmaker's credit they don't go for silliness with the snowman stuff. Yes there are moments of humor (some failed), but the movie's main strength is in its relationship between Frost and his son and also Frost and his wife (a luminous Kelly Preston).

These movies walk a fine line for me: if they are sappy and don't move me, I hate them. But if they do strike an emotional chord, then I forgive all flaws and recommend the movie. So whether or not you will enjoy it is based strictly on your tolerance for sentimentality. For me, it worked.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I liked it
Amenhotep X9 March 2003
I'm a 21 year old kid that liked this movie. I didn't care about the "not too great" special effects. Maybe the story is lame to many, but the movie gave me a good feeling and that's what it is all about, no? 8/10
An excellent film
The_Atreyu12 December 1998
I am glad to see there are movies that are being made that can spark imagination. I myself like good "action" movies as much as the other man, but I like to watch movies that are focused around the family setting. I am glad to see my son taking interest in other movies that don't have violence. One of the things that I did like about this movie regardless of what the crtiques said, is that the theatre was extremely packed at all five showings! (not that I went to all five)
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not perfect, but perfect to take your kids to
domoni5 December 1998
This is one of those "don't analyze the special effects and just enjoy it" films. Don't get me wrong...the effects are good, but pretend you're ten years-old like your child and just let the film move you. Jack the Snowman is the dad we all wish we had.

And when it's over...go make a snowman with the kids.
what is the song?
xxmznatiixx18 February 2007
Well i wanted to know what was the song called at the end of the movie where Jack & Charlie are saying bye to each other then the mom comes & tells Jack to sing a song & he sings it what is that song called..?I was thinking it was called cry a little but i would search it but it didn't come out & also i want 2 know who sang it? cause i need to find out who sings it & what is it called?i was thinking the person who sang it was Tim McGraw but it didn't say anything about him singing it & i have been searching for this song like this whole day & i can't seem to find it.Please help me find it...Because if i don't find it then i don't know what i'll do i need to find this song.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I agree with Wayne
sdalbatz2 April 2001
Wayne is right. I love this movie! And am I the only one who noticed that Michael Keaton was actually singing in this one? Seriously...Buy the sound-track! Check it out for yourself! The blues are great and boy can he sing! Very impressive! I watch this one all year round. Can't get enough!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.