The Road to El Dorado (2000) Poster

One of my favorites...
demonelipso27 August 2006
One of the few more-modern animated films I still enjoy; maybe that's because it doesn't happen to revolve around "The power of friendship/love/whatever" and isn't some sappy love story, like many of Disney's drek has been (though it does have a minor, slightly sleazey love-ish story in the background). Dreamworks is a breath of fresh air in times like these, it would seem.

The plot works on many levels; it's straightforward enough for the general kid to understand and enjoy, but is piled under levels of wit and more jokes that rely on understanding more of it, making it balanced and still funny the 150+th time I watch it.

The songs are catchy (as can be well-expected from the good man Elton John), the characters are lovable yet total sleazeball con-men, and the humour is on many levels; and with it, it brings many good, memorable lines ("'For three days?!' 'YES! Don't even breathe!'" and "'You're buying your own con!' 'At least I'm not DATING mine!' '... oooh, low blow.'" come to mind).

As a basic rundown, there's Miguel, the fun-loving, more light-hearted of the two con-men; he tends to appreciate the beauty in fun and people. Tulio, the other half of the duo, has a bit more preoccupation with material possessions and wealth, though he still remains human. Then there's Chel; the seducer from the city of gold, able to help the two (at a price). And our main antagonist? Tzekel Khan (spelling unsure), a rather nutsy high priest and speaker for the gods, who proves to be... well, a basket case.

The animation pulls itself off well; the movie is bright and colourful, but not a kiddie flick at all- rather, it's humorous on all scales- my friend's 6-year-old-brother, I, and my 55-year-old dad agree. The Road to El Dorado is enjoyable on all accounts. If nothing else, consider renting it.
45 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
People are Missing the Most Important Point.
krasnegar10 July 2002
Of course, i was missing it too, until about fifteen minutes in.

Okay -- the title is "THE ROAD TO El Dorado" Hands up, everyone with whom that rings a bell.

Okay -- its stars are two fast-talking con men who get out of trouble by faking fights with each other,and who *almost* play pattycake at a point.

Still no bells ringing?

How about if i point out that, at one point, our heroes' images are briefly morphed into the faces of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby for about two frames?

Right.

This is a tribute to/animated version of those hilarious (if you're in the right frame of mind) "B" comedies starring Bob Hope and Bing Crosby (and Dorothy Lamour in a sarong -- does Chel look any more familiar, now?), all of which were entitled "The Road to..." somewhere or other.

Nothing in them was meant to be taken seriously, and very little in this film is.

I have to agree with a number of reviewers who say, with varying degrees of indignation, that this is not a kids' film.

Duh.

It wasn't meant to be. It was meant to ba a general-audience, PG-rated film.

WILL you people PLEASE get it through your heads that "animated" does not, necessarily, equal "kids' movie"?

Animation is just another film-making technique, to be used to make any kind of film the animator wants to make, and if you think that animation is automatically for kids, check out... oh, say... "Akira" or "Fantastic Planet" or "Heavy Metal".

"Road to El Dorado" is an excellent all-ages film, (with the caveat that is IS a PG-rated one, and that you ought to think about what you want your kids to watch) and anyone who sees anything bad or prurient in the scenes that everyone has been complaining about should take a close look at themselves...
83 out of 98 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Road to El Dorado...hooked from start to finish.
qball_8224 September 2000
What can I say? The Road to El Dorado kept me hooked right from the very start, proving to be an amazing adventure filled with action, comedy, color, breath-taking imagery and music. After The Prince of Egypt, I wasn't too keen on another Dreamworks animated film. Don't ask me why, but Prince of Egypt just failed to reel me in. El Dorado on the other hand has restored my faith in the studio.

I'll keep this short and to the point. El Dorado seemed to deliver the goods in every aspect. The music was great and certainly enhanced the mood and scene, Tim Rice and Elton John did a fantastic job with the instrumental score. The characterisation was done quite well, and you could really sense the strong friendship that Tulio and Miguel had with one another. Chel was also a character favorite of mine, and Rosie Perez did a great job providing her voice! The artwork was also exceptionally good, with the colorful Mayan themes and designs providing an amazing backdrop for the story. Of course the film is not without its fair share of eye-candy, the special effects were excellent and Dreamworks didn't go overboard with them. The story was also a nice change. For once it wasn't the tired, rigid old formula of "good guys meet bad guys, conflict, defeat bad guys and everyone's happy". I mean..sure everyone is happy in the end...and there is the token good guy VS bad guy routine but Dreamworks seemed to mince it up somewhat and introduce all-new elements.

Surely it has its flaws, you say. Well in all honesty, I'm hard pressed coming up with any. I didn't exactly love the character design for Tulio and Miguel but that's just being incredibly petty....

All in all, The Road to El Dorado was very refreshing and a welcome change from the usual Disney-formula-based feature. As for comparisons and similarities with the "brilliance of Disney", I believe that there is no need for that talk. I ask you, why do we need more Disney? The Road to El Dorado shines in a light all of its own.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They don't make movies like that anymore
stamper14 June 2003
You probably think the one line summary of this comment is a bit strange, since The Road to El Dorado isn't in fact that old, but what I meant by it is that they do not make feature films like this anymore. Sure every now and then there is a great animated film that revives the Adventure genre of film-making, but that's basically it. If you're an adventure freak like I am and you simply love Indiana Jones or Stargate or The Mummy for all I care you should definitely watch this film. I bet you'll enjoy it, disregarding your age (although very small kid's might get frightened at times). Thank you Dreamworks for providing me with a fantastic story of adventure. I appreciate it. It's been so long since I've seen any good adventure (The Mummy was last and Indy before that).

TO ALL STUDIOS I MUST SAY THIS: start making feature films like this again please, I miss them. Does it seem ‘right' to you that I I have watch an animated film mostly aimed at children, to get a film with a good plot, a good villain, great action, enough thrills, blood and emotion? It does not sound right to me. No Bad Boys II, no Triple X 2, no stupid and expensive action. You can do big with little as long as elements fit together.

8 out of 10
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HOLY SHIP!
TuckMN4 April 2000
Every new animated film seems to break new ground in technique and execution. Technology and computers have brought animation to new heights of excellence.

"The Road to El Dorado" is no exception.

There is a scene in which Cortez' ship is bearing down on the boat that Tulio (voice of Kevin Kline) and Miguel (voice of Kenneth Branagh) are escaping in -- Miguel looks up and, just before their boat is capsized, yells "HOLY SHIP!"

Some parents grabbed their children and stormed out of the theater because of what they THOUGHT they heard. If you are going to watch a movie -- PLEASE pay attention and do not jump to erroneous conclusions.

The soundtrack with music by (Sir) Elton John and lyrics by Tim Rice has Oscar nomination written all over it.

Rosie Perez as 'Chel' is magnificent -- giving just the right amount of innuendo (so the parents will get it) without it being blatantly obvious. She is great -- but then I have always liked her.

There is a hint of "Shangri-La" about this film...

All too rare for an animated film "The Road to El Dorado" has a cohesive story and a real plot.

While it does drag a bit at times the music helps to move the story along and is always a pleasant diversion.

Some of the story was fairly predictable. However, I was wondering right up to the conclusion just how this fable would end.

I was pleasantly surprised.

It was all wrapped up in a neat package complete with a bow.

Of course it left a sequel wide open.
36 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like The Emperor's New Groove, this is underrated
MissSimonetta24 August 2013
The Road to El Dorado (2000), an animated cult film if there ever was one. It's interesting to compare this flick to Disney's The Emperor's New Groove (2000), which came out the same year. Both are traditionally animated. Both are wickedly funny. Both underperformed at the box office. While Emperor has gone on to be one of the most beloved modern Disney films, El Dorado is still only a cult film. That's a real shame, because it's a fun ride with snappy dialogue and cool characters.

If I have any complaints, then it's that the mixing of traditional animation and CG has dated badly. Most of the musical numbers are forgettable and could have been done away with. Luckily, those issues don't hurt the picture much.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the animation was great, but the voices were better
Evergreen2 April 2000
The only thing they could have improved upon was the story. And it wasn't bad. Just a little slight to hold up for an hour and a half.

If you like animation, you need to see this one. The colors, the detail, and the incredible water effects are all just breathtaking.

The voices (Kenneth Branagh and Kevin Kline as Miguel and Tulio, respectively) are wonderful. Rolling in the aisles funny over and over and over. I'd've loved to have been in on the recording sessions these two did (and, unlike most voice acting, they *did* act together, at least part of the time).

The story, about a couple of hapless 16th century con men who win a map to the legendary city of gold in a dice game, and go on to be mistaken for gods by the city's inhabitants, is a great hook to hang Kline and Branagh's talents on. I just wish there'd been a little more meat to it.

And I want that armadillo!
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely a must see...
Shaun-826 August 2000
This has got to be one of the most hilarious animated movies of all time. The situational comedy is truly amazing.

The voice acting is well done as well however the song are a little disappointing, coming from the duo that brought us the soundtrack of The Lion King. Only a couple are good.

However the comedy and the great visuals definitely make up for it.

This movie is definitely a must see!!!

Rating: 10/10
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A rather good film.
MeloDee6 June 2006
There is nothing much that is bad that is to be said about this film. The characters, Tulio and Miguel, were fun, entertaining, and the plot itself was much the same way. I was surprised, however (though not necessarily disappointed), at how Disney-like this movie was, coming from Dream Works. Dream Works tends to go for a more "crude" or "sarcastic" humor. They don't seem to like using two scrawny, goofy men as main characters or having an antagonist that is so evil that you can hardly express how evilly evil he is. Both of these were present in the movie, as well as a scene where Tulio and Miguel *gasp* dance and sing! Verrrrry Disney-like if you ask me.

Either way, I found the movie to be excellent. It is nothing that makes your jaw drop in absolute awe, but it makes your side hurt aplenty. The music was very fitting, and sounded beautiful. The animation stunned me, even though the movie had been more than 5 years old when I saw it the first time (perhaps showing Dream Works animation superiority over Disney?) I would definitely recommend it for if you are looking for a good laugh.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually audacious and fun film
TheLittleSongbird26 January 2010
The Road To El Dorado is a fun film from Dreamworks. Is it the best Dreamworks film? No, I don't think it is as evocative or as stirring as Prince of Egypt, as zany or as (quite) original as Shrek, as witty or as charming as Antz, as ambitious or as mature as Spirit or as audacious or as sweet as Over the Hedge. But is it the worst Dreamworks? No, I was disappointed with Shark Tale, which was nice visually but suffered from a meandering script and an unoriginal plot line, and I think it is better than Shrek the Third, which felt tired in comparison to its first two predecessors.

If I had any negatives for this film, they are very few. One was that, the banter at the beginning between Miguel and Tulio came across as a little on the contrived side. My other complaint is that the ending was somewhat abrupt, maybe it is just me but I felt that the film could've done with a more rounded finish.

These flaws aside, there is a lot to enjoy. The animation is stunning, the backgrounds are colourful, the colours are vibrant and the character movements are sharp. The animation of the lost city of gold itself was above mesmerising.

I know people have complained about the songs and the score. We know from the Lion King, which is not only one of my favourite animated films but one of my favourite films ever that Elton John can write good songs. I actually liked the songs here, they were somewhat catchy and memorable. And the score from Hans Zimmer is great. Zimmer is one of my favourite film composers, and while he has done better work, his score is rousing and exciting enough.

Others wrote about the story being dull. Fair enough, but bear in mind people complained about the story of Spirit:Stallion of the Cimarron being dull. The plot here was at least coherent, and while not perhaps the most fast-moving of all plots, does have some humour to keep the kids amused. The script is not too bad, there are some entertaining parts, and while some of the banter is a tad contrived other parts are witty and very humorous. The part with the chief playing ball with the village children was indeed adorable.

The characters are engaging enough, and the voice acting was great. I liked the characters of Miguel and Tulio. Miguel is more light hearted and Tulio while more into wealth than Miguel has real humanity. Both Kenneth Branagh and Kevin Kline did a wonderful job putting their wit across and were entertaining as a result. Chel has to be one of the most vivacious female characters in any animated film, along with Jasmine, Esmeralda, Tzipporah and Odette. She is the seducer of El Dorado, willing to help Miguel and Tulio at a price, and Rosie Perez, a delightful actress was perfect. Then there is the antagonist, Tzekel-Khan, the high priest and speaker and to say he is nuts is an understatement. Armand Assante provides his voice effectively.

In conclusion, a visually audacious and fun Dreamworks film. 8/10 Bethany Cox
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Man Who Would Be King
rbverhoef14 June 2003
Let me start by saying that I liked 'The Road to El Dorado'. It has some nice songs, good animations and it was very funny. I especially liked the horse Altivo. The thing that bothered me is that most of the things on screen I had already seen in other movies. Well, one in particular. Two guys come to a strange place. They are mistaken for Gods because a miracle happens by accident. They have a plan to steal the gold in that place, but one of them wants to stay. This is 'The Road to El Dorado' but also 'The Man Who Would Be King' from 1975 starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine. Here we Tulio and Miguel voiced by Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh. They have the same funny chemistry as Connery and Caine had. In 'The Road to El Dorado' we have also a love interest, Chel (voice by Rosie Perez), and a high priest named Tzekel-Kan (voice by Armand Assante) who doubts the divinity of the two men. I liked it, but not because it was very original. If you haven't seen 'The Man Who Would Be King' you are able to enjoy this movie also for the story. Anyway, you will not be bored.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch out Mickey, Dreamworks is one step behind.
Dkish1 April 2000
As a new non-Disney animated film debuts I always find myself asking will we ever have one that can match Disney's musical timing and humorous tone. "The Road to El Dorado" is one of those that comes really close to being as brilliant as Disney. The films title talks about a path that leads to the mysterious Mayan "City of Gold". This myth has been passed down for hundreds of years. In the 1500's a lot of Spanish conquistadors went to the New World in search of this city after it seemed to be impossible to find the "Fountain of Youth", the other mythical discovery. This legend was screaming to be a fantasy film. In the Dreamworks interpretation of this legend, we follow the misadventures of two con-artists (voiced by Kenneth Branagh and Kevin Kline) who accidentally win a treasure map in a craps game. When the game goes sour, the cons hide out in some barrels and end up on a boat bound for the New World. To their bad luck the boat happens to be captained by the most famous of the Spanish conquistadors, Cortez. Thrown in the depths of the ship by Cortez, our two heroes plan their escape. Without spoiling anymore of the film, the two end up in the New World to follow their map. The Dreamworks animators deliver lush rich scenery and delightful characters. These characters and scenery were a lot like the brilliance found in Disney's "Jungle Book" and last year's amazing "Tarzan". If you remember back to "Prince of Egypt" we had that magnificent look and the celebrity voices but no real memorable relationships. The intricate relationships between the characters in this film is one more step ahead forward Dreamworks. But what the film lacked was a real memorable song. The team of Elton John and Tim Rice, who dreamed up the brilliant soundtrack of the "Lion King", really never deliver a solid song that your kids will be singing weeks after the film. The songs here really have no heart but instead just play during some of the weaker scenes of the film. Now all they have to do is deliver musical songs and a musical score we will want to listen to after the film closes. Disney still reins supreme as head animation studio. But watch out Mickey, Dreamworks is one step behind. (4 of 5) So Says the Soothsayer.
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Greatest animated film ever!
kmaloney765916 September 2005
First things first, I am 56 years old and I have to say that I adored this movie. It didn't seem childish or silly at all, on the contrary it had language and dialogue that my 6 year old grandson wouldn't understand! The plot was exciting, the characters deep. Towards the end when I thought that Tulio and Chel were leaving Miguel for good, tears sprang into my watery blue eyes. I almost couldn't stand it! The part in which the chief played ball with the village children was so adorable! The movie wouldn't be complete without it.

I also loved the song, "It's Tough to be a God" because I couldn't keep from tapping my foot! It was so exciting!!!! All in all, The Road to El Dorado is an awesome animated film and a masterpiece!
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disney take notes, THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT people !!
Alcaminhante15 January 2001
First TITAN A.E., now EL DORADO. I can´t believe another brilliant animation movie was trashed down by the critics. Trully unbelievable, specialy after inferior works, (in plot or character development) like TARZAN were a big sucess. Marketing realy is a powerfull thing...and being politicaly correct apparently still determines a sucess in the States.

I´d read so many bad reviews about EL DORADO, that i started to believe in them myself, and i was ready to never going to see it, altough i´m a big animation fan. As it is very common in the american reviews, this time EL DORADO was the chosen victim and so it seemed that every critic was playing follow the leader when reviewing it. After reading so many bad reviews , i doubt that some critics ever saw the movie before they wrote about it. Or at least they definetely didn´t saw the same movie i did !

Is there an "european" version or something playing here in Europe ?...

Anyway i went almost dragged to the cinema by my kid this saturday afternoon, and now i´m glad i did, for it´s realy the best animated film i´ve seen in recent years (as good as TITAN A.E. and Princess Mononoke).

And for someone like me who got a little bit disapointed with Chicken Run, and annoyed by yet another politicaly correct animated feature in Disney´s Tarzan, EL DORADO made me think that there is still magic and thrills in modern animation.

I started to suspect that this movie was going to be diferent, when i got in the theater, and i noticed that at least about 80% of the room was filled with an adult audience, and very, very few children, wich for a Saturday afternoon matinée of an animation movie is a particulary strange setting. Did someone knew something about this movie i didn´t ?...

By the end of the movie, i began to understand what was so special about it. First of all this is NOT a Disney movie as so many people seem to think, but a Dreamworks production. The plot altough aparently common for this type of story, ends up being much better than it seems at first glance, because of the characters development and the little details around them all, wich i won´t reveal because part of the pleasure in this movie is exactely the discovery of those scenes. And EL DORADO might look in style like a Disney product, but fortunely has none of those politicaly correct so called educational moments wich infest all Disney products. Contrary to Disney, EL DORADO even has an original story, and doesn´t use the same as in Lion King, wich is the same in Tarzan, wich was re-used again in Dinossaur, etc... EL DORADO doesn´t treat kids like braindead morons but instead presents a good original story in wich they even have to think to realy apreciate the movie wich can only be a good sign.

A good detail , is that, there isn´t realy a "bad guy" so the children can´t separate right away all the plot into good guy Vs bad guy as usual, making them pay more atention to the story to discover what is happening.

I don´t want to spoil anything, but go watch this movie , and notice how the character of Cortez was presented and used in the story without falling into the usual trap of the Disney style villain, and giving a very authentic historicaly correct feeling to the plot Another good twist, is that there is another "bad guy" in the EL DORADO story, but not another abstract villain placed there just to fight with the heros and loose. This second "villain" even has a logical reason to be a bad person, and he´s not just bad just because. Even what happens to him by the end is not the usual cliché used for the villains in the usual Disney movie where the bad guy always has to die to pay for his wrong doings. Well...this time...go watch EL DORADO and you´ll be surprised how cleverly the story uses both "villains".

This is one of the best, surprising and most inteligent moments in this excelent underapreciated film as it connects perfectely the fantasy with the historicaly events of that time.

But there is one thing i can bet was responsible for the faillure of this movie in America. And yes i´m talking about the "erotic" jokes scatered in some scenes and the "sexual" tension as a reason for conflict between the main characters. I can bet that those innocent little subtil scenes must have made plenty of puritane people in America grab hold of their Bibles and cover their kids eyes with thy covers, while the fathers themselves drooled over the sensual curves of the female leading character and the mothers complained how imoral this animation was. I´ve read an hilarious american review, claiming that this movie would incite kids to homossexuality and bigamy ! (WHAT ?!!! Because of the relation of great friendship of the male characters or their relation with the girl ? ARE YOU PEOPLE NUTS ?!! )

I think DreamWorks took a bold risk, in creating an animation including those (innocent "erotic") jokes. They risked and they lost, but that doesn´t mean that their movie is as bad as the reviews say it is. And i don´t agree with the acusation that EL DORADO is nothing but a pale imitation of Disney style. EL DORADO took the Disney visual style and produced a movie way ahead of everything Disney ever did, thematicaly speaking. If anyone still wants to compare this to disney then the only thing i can say is that it´s movies like EL DORADO that Disney should be making, instead of using and re-using over and over again the same plot and formula, withou taking any risks or adding anything realy new to their products.

Think of EL DORADO as a much better and inteligent "Disney" movie with a little spice. One day all animations will be like this.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It has a spirit and a heart, and those are two of the hardest things to achieve in animation
StevePulaski1 March 2013
The Road to El Dorado was birthed during the period where Dreamworks was still getting started, per say. After releasing the deeply sophisticated Antz and the cult favorite The Prince of Egypt, moviegoers still really had no true idea of what kind of film the company would give them. If Antz was sophistication, then The Road to El Dorado is anarchy - the coherent and easily-lovable kind. Filled with catchy, spur-of-the-moment songs, bright stylistic animation, and an immersing storyline, it majors in the field of uncompromising fun.

The film's lead characters, two extremely hilarious ones, are Miguel and Tulio (voiced by Kenneth Branagh and Kevin Kline), two con-artists who rig gambling games and deliberately turn the tables on unsuspecting folks so they come out on top of everything. During a small gambling session, where the two are winning because of loaded dice, the two rustle up a map of El Dorado, a place bearing untold heavens. Just as they get the map and all their winnings, the other group finds out their swindling tactics and quickly run them out of the area. The two, and a horse, escape on a small boat, which washes up on the beach of El Dorado. There the two are mistaken for almighty, powerful gods of El Dorado and are treated like royalty. They decide to live in the luxury for a while, sneak some goodies, then ditch it in search for a new land to rob. Obligatory subplots involve Tulio falling for a native to El Dorado (Rosie Perez), who is aware of the two's secret, and the thought that both Miguel and Tulio will grow angry at one another and contemplate going their separate ways.

While in some regards the story of this film is standard and somewhat foreseeable, it's nonetheless a competent, potent production. For example, the animation is presented in a believable, realistic light, not making everything too silly and bombastic, yet not entirely life-like. This is almost guaranteed to offput some; I can see people saying that it's an animated film that doesn't take full advantage of its medium. Yet the crisp, controlled style of the film let's loose on occasion, particularly during the chase sequence on water that concludes the film, which is lively and exhilarating. Rather than grounding the film to reality, it seems that the animators wanted to provide the illusion that it was an animated film that can capture the events of its story in th way that if this was real, but certain laws, rules, and logic didn't apply, this is how it'd look. It's fascinating and often absorbing. A similar style was used in Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire, when Disney took a shot in the dark, attempting to usher in a fanbase that wasn't so reliant/content with songs and candy-coated colors.

This is one of the first animated films in a long time that doesn't use big-name actors to market its story, content, and animation. I guess Dreamworks used all its big-casting abilities on Antz. While Kevin Kline and Kenneth Branagh are certainly not "unknowns" in Hollywood, they aren't the kind you usually see receiving top-billing in an animated feature. Because of this, it's nice to hear voices that are not plagued by celebrity recognition and familiarities, so there's an easier transition to believing and knowing the character.

The Road to El Dorado is wonderfully scored and livened by Elton John, whose song "It's Tough to Be a God" is one that will not leave my head soon enough. The film's music sequences are fun and spontaneous, much like the exposition as a whole. This is a good family endeavor; one that is light-years more fun than much of what passes for basic family programming.

Voiced by: Kevin Kline, Kenneth Branagh, and Rosie Perez. Directed by: Eric Bergeron and Will Finn.
A winner.
prohibited-name-10191 April 2000
This is the best animated movie (rated PG-13 or lower) since The Lion King. The story seems a bit rushed, but it is entertaining. And the animation simply breathtaking. The soundtrack is another winner for Elton John and the songs he performs add depth to the story.
Good "Buddy Movie"
The WolF31 March 2000
The movie rating is PG, and with good reason. Kids won't get many of the jokes, as they are of a more mature nature than those found in Lion King. The soundtrack isn't quiet as strong as Lion King either, but then Phil Collins won the Oscar for the song from Tarzan, so Elton may well have a shot again...

It's a movie in the style of the Crosby-Hope Road Trip movies, and it does fine job. I gave it a 7 of 10, and would definitely see it again.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was my favourite as a kid and after all these years it's still excellent
mistoppi18 September 2015
It's not surprising why so many people loved The Road to El Dorado, whether they were a kid or an adult. The Road to El Dorado charms you right in the beginning. Even if you usually hate songs in animated films, the music of this one is amazing. And they don't ruin the dialogue by turning a conversation to a song (Apart from It's Tough to be a god, but that song was so good it didn't even matter). Instead they are planted in scenes where no words are spoken. It works very well, and is a lot better than characters singing.

And the animation is so beautiful. It's really captivating. The human characters look so much better than what Disney's usually do, especially because they are way more diverse instead of just putting the same face on every Disney prince. And the world around the character is the most beautiful I've seen in an animated movie. It's very colourful, it's lovely.

But what really keeps the movie going and makes the story really stand out, is the main duo. Miguel and Tulio are great characters. They are different from each other, but they want the same things - which is why I would rather see a prequel than a sequel. And thankfully Miguel and Tulio aren't exactly the kind of heroes you'd except. In fact they aren't really heroic, apart from one or two deeds. Above all, they start as criminals. And their chemistry is so good, better than most romantic couples. (It can be debated if Miguel and Tulio were in fact romantic, but that's a whole other conversation).

The Road to El Dorado has always been amazing movie, and that hasn't changed in all these years. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favour and watch it. It's great, and it's hilarious. I could go on an mention every good thing about this movie, but I think that would be pointless. This movie is one of the best animated films that has been ever made.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific Dream Works Film!
lschmalz4 June 2002
(In my review of "Spirit", I mentioned it was a Disney film. My apologies to Dream Works, as it was their film, not Disney's.) Now, on with the review of "The Road to El Dorado" another Dream Works film!

Now here is a Dream Works production worth its weight in gold, excuse the pun. Simply put, this movie is fun, with delightful characters, a terrific soundtrack by Elton John, and an exciting plot. Two scoundrels win a map that supposedly leads to El Dorado, the city of gold and wealth. Once there they realize that in order to steal the gold and take it back to their homeland, they must convince the people of the city that they are Gods. Unfortunately they know nothing about the Gods they try to impersonate and pretty soon, they arouse not only suspicion, but the interest of a lovely young woman as well. As with most Dream Works productions, the animation is outstanding. One slight distraction occurs near the end of the movie, however, when a giant monster-like creature arrives on the scene. Looking more like a Pokemon character than anything remotely related to this film, his sci-fi appearance simply doesn't blend with the rest of the animation. And if that's the worst thing I can say about this film, then you know that this is a terrific and fun flick, one you just might wish to own.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like this one so much
moviewiz-47 February 2001
This cartoon attracts me when i see the characters which are different from other kids movie. The texture is fantastic, colour and imagination is organised perfectly.

Story is not enjoyable at the first 10 minutes but after that, it gets more and more interesting. Maybe the main idea is to create something which is different. Most of the characters react very well with the script and the movie is funny as well.

Thumb up, well done.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The right road to good animation.
Brogan29 March 2000
Dreamworks being only three years old is making a impressive status with other Hollywood studios. Not only are they producing some Hollywood hits like: SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, MOUSEHUNT, and GALAXY QUEST, but also Oscar winning films like AMERICAN BEAUTY. Thier animation department is also doing a impressive job, with such decent and entertaining animated films like ANTZ and PRINCE OF EGYPT. Now a project that has been in production for years (and I really mean it) is finally being released, and it's ROAD TO EL DORADO. ROAD TO EL DORADO is the latest with Dreamworks animation films, it has a impressive animation, funny and witty scenes, and a very good score. The story of the film has two scheming con-artist in 16th century Spain, Tulio (voiced by Kevin Kline) and Miguel (Kenneth Branahgh). While playing a game of dice, they win a map which leds to the fabled city of gold, El Dorado. While running from the authorites, Tulio and Miguel accidently stow away on one of the ships heading to the new world, led by Cortez. After Tulio and Miguel seperate from Cortez and his crew, they arrive at the lost city and meet another con aritst, this time it's a female native named Chel (Rosie Perez). Chel is from the city of El Dorado, where it is indeed covered in gold, and it has two leaders, the Chief (Edward James Olmos) and Tzekel-Kan (Armand Assante). While the Chief represents the good and peace to the city of El Dorado; Tzekel-Kan represents the evil and violence of the city, and saying that he is doing what the gods wish for him to do. It isn't long that Tulio falls for Chel, and Miguel experiences the beauty, and improves the city traditions of the city of gold. EL DORADO is a entertaining family film, it has the right ingredents from a Disney animated film. There is a good story: two scheming con-artist discover the city of gold, and their own personalities. Good actors doing the voices: Kevin Kline, Kenneth Branagh, Edward James Olmos, etc. A very impressive musical score by Hans Zimmer, and songs by Elton John and Tim Rice. And fantastic animation, including the first five minutes of the movie. I did enjoy EL DORADO, I usually judge a non-Disney animated film to a Disney animated film, on how entertaining they are. I would rank this film with ANASTASIA and PRINCE OF EGYPT as far as a entertaining family film goes. It is fast paced, funny, exciting, and little jokes thrown here and there the same way a Disney film is done. Yet, EL DORADO shys away from the "cute" Disney films with not too many cute big eyed characters. For a good family film for now, this is a entertaining film. I mean, why take your kids to a piece of rubbish like SNOW DAY? This film is a good example of family entertainment, which now, Disney should be shaking in their loafers that they finally have competition with animated films. ****1/2 (out of five)
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amusing and not just for little kids
chicalini1 April 2000
Miguel and Tullio are very charming and it is a very well thought out story. It's not as funny as it could be but it definitely has it's moments. The music is not all that great even though they make it out to me, it was a bit of a let down and I don't think kids would find it fun to sing a ong to. Other wise, it is a very cute movie.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Colorful and witty pictures, with impressive animation. *** out of ****.
Movie-129 April 2000
ROAD TO EL DORADO / (2000) ***

By Blake French

DreamWorks Picture's "Road To El Dorado" is an adventuresome journey into the lives of two nomads in the midst of poverty and trouble. Miguel and Tulio are the lifelong friends with very different personalities. We first meet them gambling riches for a map to El Dorado, the secret city of Gold. They win through creating. Therefore Tulio and Miguel devise an improvised escape leading them to hiding in barrels boarding a ship. When the captain discovers the stowaways he is not happy-but at nightfall the friends escape from captivity once again. This is when they become accustomed to their new friend, a horse. As the three pondering souls drift about the massive sea, they begin to lose hope. Just when everything seems hopeless, however, Tulio and Miguel hit the shore, which just so happens to be the island inheriting the road to El Dorado.

"Road To El Dorado" certainly has an action packed, fast paced opening, which works well. We do lose character development, however. The filmmakers obviously presume audiences will relate to Tulio and Miguel through assumptions of lifestyles and cultures. The main characters are believable, colorful, and provoke some interesting and funny moments.

Miguel and Tulio stumble upon the city of gold after meeting a seductive and mysterious young woman named Chel. At El Dorado, the two drifters are mistaken for all powerful gods by the town's sadistic sorcerer, Tzekel-Kan, who convinces the high Chief they are truly miraculous immortals. Miguel and Tulio dream of riches, so play along with the city's hypothesis. With money on their mind and danger lurking beneath every motive, Tulio and Miguel must figure out a way to inherit the riches before the townspeople discover their real identity.

Throughout the production, the story moves along quite steadily. All the events are connected with a strong narrative drive. The movie never explains a few crucial plot nuggets, however, like why the natives presume Tulio and Miguel to be all powerful gods, or El Dorado's reason for existence. The second act stumbles slightly due to the lack of impact of several unnecessary scenes. The sequences do propel the story forward, but do not serve a real dramatic purpose.

"Road To El Dorado" has an effective villain, a character who is muscular and demonic in appearance and gradual in his development of evil. He contains hidden powers and mighty strength, all elements we come to expect modern day bad guys to occupy.

DreamWorks' animation is very impressive in "Road to El Dorado." The landscapes are detailed and visually enticing. The ocean's vast appearance is overwhelming. Previous achievements in DreamWorks' animation include "The Prince of Egypt," and "Antz." Although "Road To El Dorado" is not as mature as "The Prince of Egypt," it still offers an acceptable variety of humorous moments and entertaining characters.

The musical numbers performed in this feature are not memorable nor very involving. But the film as a whole contains a lot of energy and wit. I did not the like the ending, which felt rushed and inconclusive. Still, "Road to El Dorado" is a movie with enough effective material to be worth watching, not purchasing.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Animated Hope & Crosby homage
george.schmidt27 April 2004
THE ROAD TO EL DORADO (2000) **1/2 (Voices: Kevin Kline, Kenneth Branagh, Rosie Perez, Edward James Olmos, Armand Assante, Jim Cummings, Frank Welker). Second big-screen animated tale from SKG/DreamWorks with Disney echoes about 16th century Hope/Crosby set up with two con artists who wind up on the path to the mythical jungle city of gold en route w/Cortez and finding that there's more than meets the eye (individuality and friendship are more important than all the wealth they discover). Kline and Branagh do their best in low-key, sly witty banter and Perez provides enough feistiness to keep things afloat including the by-the-numbers forgettable musical numbers by Elton John and Tim Rice. (Dirs: Eric `Bibo' Bergeron & Don Paul)
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.