Fight Club (1999) Poster

(1999)

3,570 Reviews
A great movie you can watch again and again
Pukeonthestreet11 February 2020
Because you'll probably be confused the first time around. It's not a coincidence it stars some of the greatest actors of our time.
193 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb
grantss19 April 2014
Superb, and truly one of the greatest movies of all time.

It starts with the screenplay. Adapted from, and very faithful to, an excellent book. The book by Chuck Palahniuk was perfect for a movie: vivid, powerful, challenging, original, unpredictable. Considering how perfectly formed the book already was, the screenplay would have been a doddle.

Some very interesting themes are explored - consumerism, class warfare, multiple-personality disorder, male bonding, terrorism and anarchy - without being judgemental.

Direction is spot-on. Perfect cinematography, pacing and editing. The twists and nuances of the book are captured perfectly.

Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are perfectly cast as the two lead characters, and deliver in spades. Helena Bonham Carter is a strange selection to take on the role of Marla, as she tends to act in Shakespearean dramas and other period pieces. However, despite this, her performance is very convincing.

An absolute classic.
100 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to movie heaven!
gogoschka-116 December 2013
Let's ignore the advice and talk about "Fight Club". This film was a milestone; although it bombed at the box office, Fincher's cinematic language left a mark that can still be felt now, 14 years later, on many current releases. Despite the risky 'cutting edge' nature of the film, Fincher got a huge budget for this and it shows: the camera effects and the whole production design are amazing.

This movie has a raw energy that grips me every time I watch it. What a crazy, fun ride! Whether it is a very clever satire or pure testosterone going on a rampage - both are fine by me. A film so visually stunning and sexy, with career best performances by all involved - welcome to movie heaven.

My vote: 10 out of 10

Favorite films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-Movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
162 out of 208 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You love it or you hate it, personally I loved it
TheLittleSongbird18 May 2010
Perhaps a little too long, but Fight Club is just a very well-made, brilliantly written and superlatively performed film. Essentially a satirical fable, it tells of an insomniac loser teaming up with a seditious soap salesman to form a no-holds-barred-fight club as an outlet for their direction-less aggression. This concept is an intriguing and original one, and works really well. Then there is the script, it is absolutely superb, with dialogue that will make you both laugh and think. Fight Club is very well made, with elaborate production design, great editing and startling images. David Fincher's direction is brilliantly handled and the performances of Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are superb. Overall, just a great film, a mesmerising ride through the 1990s male psyche. 9/10 Bethany Cox
67 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unpredictable movie.
MrPupkin22 October 2019
Everything about Fight Club is simply amazing. The acting, the directing, and the story is simply superb. However, going into this film I had already had had some of the major twists spoiled for me, and this is a movie that relies so heavily on those twists that knowing them will detract from the experience significantly. Because of that, the film is really only worth seeing of you have no prior knowledge of it whatsoever.
22 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HOW THIS IS NOT EVERYONE'S FAVORITE MOVIE IS BESIDE ME
johnnysilverhand-130473 October 2019
I first saw Fight Club when I was 8 years old. I didn't understand any of it, but I liked the fighting and editing.

I saw it again when I was 13 and just started seeing movies for what they were - a language. A language through which the filmmakers interpret their own views on the world. I understood more of it, especially being part of "the middle children of history" generation.

After that, I saw it at least once per year and every single time, I realized something new or different about it, and the world itself. I grew with this movie both intellectually and spiritually.

Still took me another 12 years to understand this movie is THE textbook for Jungian psychology BESIDES already being the single greatest social critique of the consumer era.

It's ridiculously smart, deep, beautiful and cool. I've watched basically every movie out there, and nothing comes even close to the degree of greatness of Fight Club.
120 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crazy good
trosati-9892312 October 2019
So rewatchable. The acting is amazing, the story is amazing the second time you watch it, very good acting, funny as well sometimes. Great movie.
38 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch it atleast twice
shuklaprakhar18 December 2018
Beleive me if you want to feel this movie to the core watch it twice . It took me twice to analyse that this movie was something much more than just awesome Brilliant acting by brad pitt maybe his best one, direction above par . There is something much more in this movie than meets the eye .. Watch it and find for yourself
120 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a dangerously brilliant film that entertains as well as enlightens.
dr. gonzo10 May 2000
"Fight Club" an aggressive, confrontational, often brutal satire that is quite possibly a brilliant masterpiece. Taking the "Choose life," anti-consumerism rant at the beginning of "Trainspotting," and carrying it to its logical -- albeit extreme -- conclusion this is a big budget, mainstream film that takes a lot of risks by biting the hand that feeds it. The film's narrator (Edward Norton) is an insignificant cog in the drab, corporate machine, dutifully doing his job and what he's told without question. He's an insomniac slave to his IKEA possessions and only finds joy in going to as many self-help/dealing with terminal diseases sessions as he can. It provides him with an escape from his sleepless nights. That is, until Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter), a trashy chain-smoking poser, enters his life and upsets his routine. The narrator also meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt), a charismatic soap salesman whose straightforward honesty, candor and sleazy lounge-lizard outfits are a breath of fresh air. One night, after the two men have bonded over beers, Tyler asks the narrator to hit him. At first, it seems like an absurd request but after they pound on each other for a bit, a strange feeling overcomes them. They feel a kind of release and satisfaction at inflicting pain on one another. In a world where people are desensitized to everything around them, the physical contact of fighting wakes them up and makes them feel truly alive. Others soon join in and pretty soon Fight Club becomes an underground sensation. However, it becomes readily apparent that Tyler has more elaborate plans than just organizing brawls at the local bar. David Fincher has taken the dark, pessimistic worldview of "Seven" and married it with the clever plot twists and turns of "The Game" and assembled his strongest effort to date. "Fight Club" is a $50+ million studio film that remains true to its anti-consumer, anti-society, anti-everything message -- right up to the last, sneaky subliminal frame. What makes "Fight Club" a subversive delight is not only its refreshing anti-corporate message but how it delivers said message. As Fincher has explained in interviews, you don't really watch the film but rather download it. Its structure is extremely playful as it messes around with linear time to an incredible degree. The narrative bounces back and forth all over the place like a novel, or surfing on the Internet -- even making a hilarious dead stop to draw attention to itself in a funny, interesting way that completely works. Yet Norton's deadpanned narration holds everything together and allows the viewer to get a handle on what's happening. This is the way films should be made. Why must we always have to go through the A+B+C formula? "Fight Club" openly rejects this tired, clearly outdated structure in favour of a stylized frenzy of jump cuts, freeze frames, slow motion and every other film technique in the book that only reinforces its anarchistic message. A film like this would have never been greenlighted by a major studio if Brad Pitt had not been attached to the project. Once you see the film, it becomes obvious that he was the only choice for Tyler Durden. Like he did with "Kalifornia" and "Twelve Monkeys", Pitt grunges himself down and disappears completely into his role to a frighteningly convincing degree. During many of the brutal fight scenes, he is transformed into a bloody, pulpy mess that'll surely have the "Legends of the Fall" fans running for the exits. It is an incredible performance -- probably his best -- for the simple fact that he becomes the character so completely. If Pitt has the flashy, gonzo role, Edward Norton is his perfect foil as the seemingly meek yet sardonic narrator. It's a deceptively understated performance as the last third of the film reveals but Norton nails it perfectly. He is clearly our surrogate, our introduction into this strange world and his wry observations on our consumer-obsessed culture are right on the money. They are the perfect setup for Tyler's introduction and his view on the world which is clearly a call to arms of sorts, a manifesto that rejects the notion that we are what we own. And ultimately, that is what "Fight Club" tries to do. The film is a cinematic punch to the head as it challenges the status quo and offers a wakeup call to people immersed in a materialistic world where those who have the most stuff, "win." I think that Fincher's film wants us to tear all that down, reject corporate monsters like Starbucks and Blockbuster, and try to figure out what we really want out of life. It's almost as if the film is suggesting salvation through self-destruction. And it is these thought-provoking ideas that makes "Fight Club" a dangerously brilliant film that entertains as well as enlightens.
801 out of 1,091 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Hard to Take Your Eyes Away
Hitchcoc3 January 2007
I'm not much into graphic violence. This film transcends that. It has wonderful direction, and, even though it is brutal, it takes things to another ledge. Edward Norton is really controlled as he realizes his power. It's too easy to throw in spoilers so I will leave things to the viewer. The search for self and the growing cult around Fight Club made me suspicious. Still, to watch what happens to the two men at the center and what they are without Fight Club is the core. One of the neat things about this film is seeing it a second town makes it even better. The mental byplay between Pitt and Norton increases tension to explosiveness. If you want to see what can happen to a story when put in masterful hands, read the book (which is outstanding), and see the movie. They show that art forms can treat the same material, each in their own ways.
28 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A No-Holds-Barred Cult Classic Knockout!
KissEnglishPasto28 July 2016
From PASTO, COLOMBA-Via: L. A. CA; CALI, Colombia+ORLANDO, FL -----------The ONLY Tony Kiss Castillo on FaceBook!---------------

Surrender to FIGHT CLUB...A No-Holds-Barred Knockout! If you haven't seen it...See it! If you HAVE...See it again! In the weeks after its release, either the critics just plain DIDN'T GET IT...Or shrewdly pretended not to! Considering Fight Club's tauntingly in-your-face Political INcorrectness, it's easy to see why most critics opted to play it safe!

Here is a film that almost cries out, "HATE ME! DESPISE ME!" An occasional film will step gingerly on the toes of audience sensibilities. Fight Club drop kicks them! Yet, it is so relentlessly and quirkily original, so pathologically tantalizing...you will LOVE it...and then HATE yourself for it! Make no mistake, however, Fight Club always shows its audience ample respect. It never pontificates nor proselytizes, as would your typical formulaic Hollywood film.

The term "Ride" is employed so freely to movies today, that it has become rather meaningless. Fight Club re-invents the word! Literally, from the DNA Roller-coaster opening Credits (Accompanied by the DUST BROTHERS musical equivalent of a sustained amyl-nitrate rush!), to the metaphoric wailing ("We're still men!") of castrated testicular cancer victims, to the mesmerizing and deftly parlayed 3-way screen chemistry of Norton- Bonham Carter-Pitt, to the sharply focused pointlessness of our cruise- control, hyper-consumeristic lifestyles...

...Fight Club synthesizes both our pent-up frustration and our self-induced reluctance to communicate it, in RULE #1..."You DO NOT talk about Fight Club!" This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is one "RIDE" you DO NOT want to miss!

10********** ..... ENJOY! / DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English o en Español, are most welcome!
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life-changing Fight Club
KrisRagnarsson4 February 2003
I am, unfortunately, not one of the faithful Chuck Palahniuk readers who had read the book BEFORE they saw the movie. I, however, couldn't wait to read the book after seeing this film. I've read the book 5 times since and seen the movie more times than I can remember.

Simply put, this movie changed my life. Not just on a personal level (on which I will not comment here except to say I'm now a major Palahniuk fan) but also as a movie-watcher. I view movies differently after seeing this movie, because it broke down doors.

This movie is literally the first time I ever came upon something that, at first sight seemed incredibly stylish, sophisticated and entertaining. The plot lured you in before turning you upside down, the acting was nothing short of perfect (has there ever been a more memorable character than Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden?), the music, the screenplay (based on what is now my all-time favorite book), the lighting, the pacing, the everything! Virtually everything about this movie took my by surprise, save for one man.

David Fincher, director, was probably the only reason I went to see this movie in the first place. His work on 'Seven' and 'The Game' had me excited to see what he would do next, but I came to this movie expecting a stylish flick that offered a good plot and hopefully some good acting but what I got was so much, much more.

Honestly, how many times have you seen a movie that, with every viewing, gets even more complicated yet so simple that you can't help but laugh. Every time I watch this movie I notice something new about it, such is the depth of what is on the screen. Then there's the tiny issue of the story of Fight Club, penned by Chuck Palahniuk (who has one of the most fertile imaginations around. Don't believe me? Read 'Survivor' and weep!) the story is nothing short of incredible, a pure shock-value social commentary on the state of the world at the end of the century. You'll cry, you'll laugh, you'll do all the clichés but most importantly you'll identify with every single thing on the screen.

This movie rates as one of my all-time favorite movies and, simply put, if you haven't seen it yet then quit wasting your time OnLine and get to the nearest videostore!

1,047 out of 1,378 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is why we watch movies.
liamkellybusiness30 April 2020
Fight Club does exactly what movies should do, blow our minds, make us ask questions of ourselves and our society, and all the while thoroughly entertain us. Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are at their very best.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A unique film
buk-315 October 1999
Fight Club is one of the most unique films I have ever seen. In addition to presenting a rather fresh take on life, FC also presents its material in a fresh way. My main interest in the film is in that, in my opinion, it does not present characters for us to think about. Rather, it presents actions for us to think about. I will say that I cannot recall *ever* having been "asked" by a film to both suspend my disbelief the way this film asks in its third act AND at the same time come to terms with an understanding that there is no room--or need--for disbelief.

Perhaps these comments will not make sense to the average movie goer who will dismiss this film--and, unfortunately, its premise--as another hollywood flick filled with gratuitous violence. I'd go as far as to say that this film is not about violence. It is about choices. It is about activity. It is about lethargy. It is about waking up and realizing that at some point in the past we've gone to the toilet and thrown up our dreams without even realizing that society has stuck its fingers down our throat.

I would argue that anyone caught, at some point in their lives, between a rock and a hard place--anyone who has reached bottom on a mental level--anyone who has uttered to themselves "Wait, this isn't right. I would not do/say/feel what it is that I just did/said/felt... I do not like this. I must change before I am forever stuck being the person that I am not." These people, they will know what I'm talking about. These people will not only recognize the similarities between Edward Norton's character and themselves--they will be uncomfortably familiar with him. These people will appreciate Fight Club for what it is: a wake up call that we are not alone.

As David Berman once said: "I'm afraid I've got more in common with who I was than who I am becoming." If this sentence makes any sense to you, go see Fight Club. You won't regret it.

L.
1,215 out of 1,524 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The first rule of Fight Club: You never talk about how over-hyped Fight Club is
Ruskington26 August 2020
I'm not sure if it's just the fact that Ed Norton really grates on me in this film, but I never really bought into the idea of Fight Club being some kind of cultural phenomenon. Yes it's an innovative story, told via a strong script, engaging characters and intense cinematography. But is it really worthy of such high praise? Personally, I find it starts to fall apart halfway through and actually becomes quite tedious towards the end. Everything just becomes a little bit childish and contrived as the story loses touch with its base elements and the rage against the machine vibe takes over. I have huge respect for the way this film was made but, much like The Matrix, I feel like people attach way more importance to this movie than it deserves.
49 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It doesn't get much better than this
Dante Hicks25 June 2000
Similar in idea to 'American Beauty' but certainly not in style or content this bleak look at underground culture and the spiritual redemption it brings is easily one of the most intelligent films I've ever seen. Directed by the same man who brought us the superb 'The Game' this is another film which you'll have to see more than once to truly understand. Focusing on sad white-collar, middle-class Norton whose only real dream in life is to own all the contents of an IKEA catalogue it follows him through a chance meeting with charismatic stranger Pitt and the unfortunate events which conspire to draw them together. After a nights hard drinking they start a friendly-ish scrap which is viewed by a couple of others and from that small acorn a mighty oak called Fight Club grows. This is the point around which the whole film revolves with Norton and Pitt forming an underground club which draws more and more disillusioned young men to join it. Based on firm 'Queensbury Rules' it is a cathartic if bloody way to spend your night. Eventually as it becomes a huge operation Pitt, the de facto leader, moves it up a gear and creates his own cult from this secret society. This is where the film becomes brilliant and the twist near the end is magnificent, better even than the much talked about 'The Sixth Sense'. It just has so much to say about things: the emasculation of an entire generation of young men ("No great war to fight, no great depression"), the growing isolation we all feel from one another and the need to find something to draw us back together and most importantly, the power of an exciting, challenging idea and it's fermentation into cultism. However, where many films would just say 'This is a bad thing' 'Fight Club' doesn't. It is more a condemnation of a materialistic society which has forgotten about a large section of itself. You can empathise with these men completely, even when they band together against this uncaring society that has reared them to be something their instincts don't understand. It's as close to genius as you'll get and one film you'll talk about and think about for days.
429 out of 705 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Madness
amindostiari25 March 2021
A wonderful movie, Fantastic screenplay and Fantastic cast. It really fascinated me. I really enjoyed. The design and style of the film was also excellent.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breaking the first rule
alexskimel-7851718 March 2021
Fight Club is a distinct film. It has great actors like Edward Norton and Brad Pitt, great producing and the plot of a life time. Theres almost nothing not to love.

The film is about an un-named depressed man (Norton) attempting to hide from his insomnia, by going to therapy meetings designed for men with testicular cancer. However, after going on a trip, his apartment burns down, forcing him to move in with the person he was sitting with on a plane.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Revisiting Fight Club
baileycrawly11 August 2020
Fight Club isn't a bad movie, but it's not nearly as good as people make it out to be.

It really comes off as a pretentious piece of work for film students to study to the point of exhaustion, but I don't think it was ever intended to be that. The movie plays out, with a few key alterations, as a scene-by-scene retelling of the book, sometimes going so far as to lift paragraphs of inner monologue directly from the novel and plopping them into the script.

It's a movie that requires at least two viewings but, beyond that, it gets boring in a pretty big hurry. Particularly toward the end of the second act/beginning of the third, it's so painfully bland and boring that it's difficult to care about anything that's happening at all (around the whole Project Mayhem stuff). It's difficult to maintain any kind of focus throughout.

There's a lot of stuff hidden in this movie for people to go back and revisit, too, but most of it is inessential. Honestly, having looked back at some of the Easter eggs, it leaves the question: who cares? And of course this is an unpopular opinion to have, but I held off on reviewing this title in the honest hopes that multiple viewings would raise the rating. I even read Palahniuk's novel to try to derive some additional meaning out of it.

Without giving away the ending, it makes you think, and it creates a nice gimmick to get people to watch it again but, as I said, beyond that I'm perfectly happy to close the chapter on this one and leave it in the past.

The first rule of fight club is that you don't talk about fight club. And I'm happy to be done talking about this one for a good long while.
19 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I study philosophy but this film took me for a ride
tierneys-957257 June 2019
I watched the first hour and a half of this movie when I was 16 before I asked my boyfriend to turn it off because it was too dark. Now I am in my early 20s and I watched it until the very end, credits and all, and it truly is the best thing I've ever watched. I'm obsessed and I cant wait to watch it again. I reckon it will hit me even harder when I am older and I'm sure it will be just as fantastic.

Everything from the plot, the acting, even the damn lighting of every scene is art. I cannot believe I was not pushed to rewatch it sooner. I writing this as 1am because I cant stop thinking about it. It will seep into my dreams and I'm not sure if that is terrifying or thrilling. Maybe both
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect Club!
adammartin-715909 March 2021
This is the movie you must see before you die. Everything about it is bonkers. Very original. Don't expect just another film about fighting there's helluva lot more to it. This is what movies should be, leading you to the unknown of unpredictably. Shame it flopped at the box office, thats why great movies don't get made. Brad Pitt and David Fincher also did Se7en, definitely check that too. Both of the films are one of my all time favourites.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece
valerianodellalonga17 May 2021
One of the best and most original movies ever done.

Never cease to amaze even when watched for the 20th time.

Theaters should play this again, for the new generations to fully experience it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delightful Romantic comedy
bevo-1367831 March 2020
A lot of people I know have never even heard about this film. Good to see the system works
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
22 years later and still hits me every single time
ImLilDark26 May 2021
This has been, and will always be my ultimate absolute favorite movie, the mind-blowing very unpredictable and relatable events is just so crazy, i've prolly watched it 10 times in the past 10 years alone and that's me being generous to my mind hoping that somehow I'd forget some parts of the movie.

I wanna talk more details about the movie but we all know rule #1.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
G.O.A.T.
sebastiandelgah11 October 2018
This movie is one of the greatest of all time. It is adapted from a book by Chuck Palahniuk. This movie has very interesting themes like emasculation, violence, chaos, societal breakdown, isolation, the threat of death and consumerism. The direction is sublime. Perfect cinematography, pacing and editing. The twists and nuances of the book are captured perfectly. Also they did a good job with the inter-cuts. Brad Pitt and Edward Norton were the perfect choice to lead this movie. When you are watching the movie you just are glued to your seat, that is just how good it is.
202 out of 233 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.