Fight Club (1999) Poster

(1999)

3,341 Reviews
Can't talk about it.
leelbalord20 July 2019
Would love to review but we all know rule 1.

The end.
899 out of 941 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great movie you can watch again and again
Pukeonthestreet11 February 2020
Because you'll probably be confused the first time around. It's not a coincidence it stars some of the greatest actors of our time.
158 out of 175 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
G.O.A.T.
sebastiandelgah11 October 2018
This movie is one of the greatest of all time. It is adapted from a book by Chuck Palahniuk. This movie has very interesting themes like emasculation, violence, chaos, societal breakdown, isolation, the threat of death and consumerism. The direction is sublime. Perfect cinematography, pacing and editing. The twists and nuances of the book are captured perfectly. Also they did a good job with the inter-cuts. Brad Pitt and Edward Norton were the perfect choice to lead this movie. When you are watching the movie you just are glued to your seat, that is just how good it is.
169 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch it atleast twice
shuklaprakhar18 December 2018
Beleive me if you want to feel this movie to the core watch it twice . It took me twice to analyse that this movie was something much more than just awesome Brilliant acting by brad pitt maybe his best one, direction above par . There is something much more in this movie than meets the eye .. Watch it and find for yourself
94 out of 108 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A unique film
buk-315 October 1999
Fight Club is one of the most unique films I have ever seen. In addition to presenting a rather fresh take on life, FC also presents its material in a fresh way. My main interest in the film is in that, in my opinion, it does not present characters for us to think about. Rather, it presents actions for us to think about. I will say that I cannot recall *ever* having been "asked" by a film to both suspend my disbelief the way this film asks in its third act AND at the same time come to terms with an understanding that there is no room--or need--for disbelief.

Perhaps these comments will not make sense to the average movie goer who will dismiss this film--and, unfortunately, its premise--as another hollywood flick filled with gratuitous violence. I'd go as far as to say that this film is not about violence. It is about choices. It is about activity. It is about lethargy. It is about waking up and realizing that at some point in the past we've gone to the toilet and thrown up our dreams without even realizing that society has stuck its fingers down our throat.

I would argue that anyone caught, at some point in their lives, between a rock and a hard place--anyone who has reached bottom on a mental level--anyone who has uttered to themselves "Wait, this isn't right. I would not do/say/feel what it is that I just did/said/felt... I do not like this. I must change before I am forever stuck being the person that I am not." These people, they will know what I'm talking about. These people will not only recognize the similarities between Edward Norton's character and themselves--they will be uncomfortably familiar with him. These people will appreciate Fight Club for what it is: a wake up call that we are not alone.

As David Berman once said: "I'm afraid I've got more in common with who I was than who I am becoming." If this sentence makes any sense to you, go see Fight Club. You won't regret it.

L.
1,288 out of 1,602 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HOW THIS IS NOT EVERYONE'S FAVORITE MOVIE IS BESIDE ME
johnnysilverhand-130473 October 2019
I first saw Fight Club when I was 8 years old. I didn't understand any of it, but I liked the fighting and editing.

I saw it again when I was 13 and just started seeing movies for what they were - a language. A language through which the filmmakers interpret their own views on the world. I understood more of it, especially being part of "the middle children of history" generation.

After that, I saw it at least once per year and every single time, I realized something new or different about it, and the world itself. I grew with this movie both intellectually and spiritually.

Still took me another 12 years to understand this movie is THE textbook for Jungian psychology BESIDES already being the single greatest social critique of the consumer era.

It's ridiculously smart, deep, beautiful and cool. I've watched basically every movie out there, and nothing comes even close to the degree of greatness of Fight Club.
54 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Superb
grantss19 April 2014
Superb, and truly one of the greatest movies of all time.

It starts with the screenplay. Adapted from, and very faithful to, an excellent book. The book by Chuck Palahniuk was perfect for a movie: vivid, powerful, challenging, original, unpredictable. Considering how perfectly formed the book already was, the screenplay would have been a doddle.

Some very interesting themes are explored - consumerism, class warfare, multiple-personality disorder, male bonding, terrorism and anarchy - without being judgemental.

Direction is spot-on. Perfect cinematography, pacing and editing. The twists and nuances of the book are captured perfectly.

Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are perfectly cast as the two lead characters, and deliver in spades. Helena Bonham Carter is a strange selection to take on the role of Marla, as she tends to act in Shakespearean dramas and other period pieces. However, despite this, her performance is very convincing.

An absolute classic.
106 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crazy good
trosati-9892312 October 2019
So rewatchable. The acting is amazing, the story is amazing the second time you watch it, very good acting, funny as well sometimes. Great movie.
19 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a very important movie.
The_Retard_Whisperer20 March 2001
When I first saw the previews for this movie, it had me interested. A movie about guys who fight - it didn't seem to deep, but I thought it would provide entertainment. I had heard buzz about, a few of my friends raved about it for a few days, and I was convinced. I should see this movie. I went to my local video store and picked up the last remaining DVD. I popped it in, sat in amazement until the last credit rolled, and then watched it again. And again. And again.

This movie is dark and disturbing, however, it is equally smart and stylistic. I found it hard to watch at points, but I couldn't turn my eyes away. Fight Club makes many bold statements against the modern consumer-driven society, and produces Norton's best performance and Pitt's second best (12 Monkeys).

Norton plays an average-Joe who is living a dead-end life. He needs something to change his life. Tyler and Marla will take care of this, and that is all I want to give away. Other comments will tell you more, but I suggest you let it all sink in while watching. As for it's ending, it doesn't rival 'The Sixth Sense' - it blows it away. One of the best movie endings I've seen. Even better if you're a Pixies fan.

As for it being important, don't worry. You will be hearing about this movie. When 'A Clockwork Orange' came out, it was met with mixed reviews, deemed too dark and violent, and is now considered a classic. These two movies share quite a bit in common - both were based on great books. If you haven't read either, get to it. Politicians will use this movie as a demonstration of careless and consequenceless violence in movies, and as a perfect example of what today's youth are being influenced by.

Watch this movie, and watch it again with some of your more intelligent friends. 10 out of 10.
1,302 out of 1,677 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unpredictable movie.
MrPupkin22 October 2019
Everything about Fight Club is simply amazing. The acting, the directing, and the story is simply superb. However, going into this film I had already had had some of the major twists spoiled for me, and this is a movie that relies so heavily on those twists that knowing them will detract from the experience significantly. Because of that, the film is really only worth seeing of you have no prior knowledge of it whatsoever.
23 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life-changing Fight Club
KrisRagnarsson4 February 2003
I am, unfortunately, not one of the faithful Chuck Palahniuk readers who had read the book BEFORE they saw the movie. I, however, couldn't wait to read the book after seeing this film. I've read the book 5 times since and seen the movie more times than I can remember.

Simply put, this movie changed my life. Not just on a personal level (on which I will not comment here except to say I'm now a major Palahniuk fan) but also as a movie-watcher. I view movies differently after seeing this movie, because it broke down doors.

This movie is literally the first time I ever came upon something that, at first sight seemed incredibly stylish, sophisticated and entertaining. The plot lured you in before turning you upside down, the acting was nothing short of perfect (has there ever been a more memorable character than Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden?), the music, the screenplay (based on what is now my all-time favorite book), the lighting, the pacing, the everything! Virtually everything about this movie took my by surprise, save for one man.

David Fincher, director, was probably the only reason I went to see this movie in the first place. His work on 'Seven' and 'The Game' had me excited to see what he would do next, but I came to this movie expecting a stylish flick that offered a good plot and hopefully some good acting but what I got was so much, much more.

Honestly, how many times have you seen a movie that, with every viewing, gets even more complicated yet so simple that you can't help but laugh. Every time I watch this movie I notice something new about it, such is the depth of what is on the screen. Then there's the tiny issue of the story of Fight Club, penned by Chuck Palahniuk (who has one of the most fertile imaginations around. Don't believe me? Read 'Survivor' and weep!) the story is nothing short of incredible, a pure shock-value social commentary on the state of the world at the end of the century. You'll cry, you'll laugh, you'll do all the clichés but most importantly you'll identify with every single thing on the screen.

This movie rates as one of my all-time favorite movies and, simply put, if you haven't seen it yet then quit wasting your time OnLine and get to the nearest videostore!

1,067 out of 1,401 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to movie heaven!
gogoschka-116 December 2013
Let's ignore the advice and talk about "Fight Club". This film was a milestone; although it bombed at the box office, Fincher's cinematic language left a mark that can still be felt now, 14 years later, on many current releases. Despite the risky 'cutting edge' nature of the film, Fincher got a huge budget for this and it shows: the camera effects and the whole production design are amazing.

This movie has a raw energy that grips me every time I watch it. What a crazy, fun ride! Whether it is a very clever satire or pure testosterone going on a rampage - both are fine by me. A film so visually stunning and sexy, with career best performances by all involved - welcome to movie heaven.

My vote: 10 out of 10

Favorite films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-Movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
175 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Um...
FiRE290429 May 2021
Damnit can't talk about it.

Also.... I can't talk about it.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I study philosophy but this film took me for a ride
tierneys-957257 June 2019
I watched the first hour and a half of this movie when I was 16 before I asked my boyfriend to turn it off because it was too dark. Now I am in my early 20s and I watched it until the very end, credits and all, and it truly is the best thing I've ever watched. I'm obsessed and I cant wait to watch it again. I reckon it will hit me even harder when I am older and I'm sure it will be just as fantastic.

Everything from the plot, the acting, even the damn lighting of every scene is art. I cannot believe I was not pushed to rewatch it sooner. I writing this as 1am because I cant stop thinking about it. It will seep into my dreams and I'm not sure if that is terrifying or thrilling. Maybe both
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a dangerously brilliant film that entertains as well as enlightens.
dr. gonzo10 May 2000
"Fight Club" an aggressive, confrontational, often brutal satire that is quite possibly a brilliant masterpiece. Taking the "Choose life," anti-consumerism rant at the beginning of "Trainspotting," and carrying it to its logical -- albeit extreme -- conclusion this is a big budget, mainstream film that takes a lot of risks by biting the hand that feeds it. The film's narrator (Edward Norton) is an insignificant cog in the drab, corporate machine, dutifully doing his job and what he's told without question. He's an insomniac slave to his IKEA possessions and only finds joy in going to as many self-help/dealing with terminal diseases sessions as he can. It provides him with an escape from his sleepless nights. That is, until Marla Singer (Helena Bonham Carter), a trashy chain-smoking poser, enters his life and upsets his routine. The narrator also meets Tyler Durden (Brad Pitt), a charismatic soap salesman whose straightforward honesty, candor and sleazy lounge-lizard outfits are a breath of fresh air. One night, after the two men have bonded over beers, Tyler asks the narrator to hit him. At first, it seems like an absurd request but after they pound on each other for a bit, a strange feeling overcomes them. They feel a kind of release and satisfaction at inflicting pain on one another. In a world where people are desensitized to everything around them, the physical contact of fighting wakes them up and makes them feel truly alive. Others soon join in and pretty soon Fight Club becomes an underground sensation. However, it becomes readily apparent that Tyler has more elaborate plans than just organizing brawls at the local bar. David Fincher has taken the dark, pessimistic worldview of "Seven" and married it with the clever plot twists and turns of "The Game" and assembled his strongest effort to date. "Fight Club" is a $50+ million studio film that remains true to its anti-consumer, anti-society, anti-everything message -- right up to the last, sneaky subliminal frame. What makes "Fight Club" a subversive delight is not only its refreshing anti-corporate message but how it delivers said message. As Fincher has explained in interviews, you don't really watch the film but rather download it. Its structure is extremely playful as it messes around with linear time to an incredible degree. The narrative bounces back and forth all over the place like a novel, or surfing on the Internet -- even making a hilarious dead stop to draw attention to itself in a funny, interesting way that completely works. Yet Norton's deadpanned narration holds everything together and allows the viewer to get a handle on what's happening. This is the way films should be made. Why must we always have to go through the A+B+C formula? "Fight Club" openly rejects this tired, clearly outdated structure in favour of a stylized frenzy of jump cuts, freeze frames, slow motion and every other film technique in the book that only reinforces its anarchistic message. A film like this would have never been greenlighted by a major studio if Brad Pitt had not been attached to the project. Once you see the film, it becomes obvious that he was the only choice for Tyler Durden. Like he did with "Kalifornia" and "Twelve Monkeys", Pitt grunges himself down and disappears completely into his role to a frighteningly convincing degree. During many of the brutal fight scenes, he is transformed into a bloody, pulpy mess that'll surely have the "Legends of the Fall" fans running for the exits. It is an incredible performance -- probably his best -- for the simple fact that he becomes the character so completely. If Pitt has the flashy, gonzo role, Edward Norton is his perfect foil as the seemingly meek yet sardonic narrator. It's a deceptively understated performance as the last third of the film reveals but Norton nails it perfectly. He is clearly our surrogate, our introduction into this strange world and his wry observations on our consumer-obsessed culture are right on the money. They are the perfect setup for Tyler's introduction and his view on the world which is clearly a call to arms of sorts, a manifesto that rejects the notion that we are what we own. And ultimately, that is what "Fight Club" tries to do. The film is a cinematic punch to the head as it challenges the status quo and offers a wakeup call to people immersed in a materialistic world where those who have the most stuff, "win." I think that Fincher's film wants us to tear all that down, reject corporate monsters like Starbucks and Blockbuster, and try to figure out what we really want out of life. It's almost as if the film is suggesting salvation through self-destruction. And it is these thought-provoking ideas that makes "Fight Club" a dangerously brilliant film that entertains as well as enlightens.
834 out of 1,127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE FIRST RULE OF FIGHT CLUB IS
waynegavin130 January 2020
Edge of your seat thriller,enter the world of an overworked workaholic insomniac,the narrator played brilliantly by EDWARD NORTON is so bored with his job that he starts questioning and investigating himself as he grows a conscience about the claims he settles for A VERY BIG COMPANY,with a melancholy posture he mopes about in suicidal fashion until a chance meeting on one of his routine flights.a new friend gives him new purpose new interests new ideas and suddenly his life takes on new meaning as a completely opposite version of himself,brilliant script and dialogue keep you intrigued and confused and the acting is superb from NORTON and the ever reliable BRAD PITT as they bounce off each other well.a movie like this rarely comes along so its worth noting that this will have an impression on you and you wont forget it...highly recommended.
17 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
awesome fight club oh we can't talk about fight club
konichiwagaz15 October 2019
Simply ground breaking story, music and action it is my favourite film watched it as many times as star wars and anytime it is on no matter if I have missed some I dive in because it is wonderful give it a go
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Film: Deserved Several Academy Award Nominations
robertharkins24 September 2001
The script was tight, the theme fascinating, the acting incredible (especially Edward Norton, as one might expect), the direction inspired, and the cinematography stunning. It is one of the few films of the past five years that deserves to be seen multiple times. In fact, if you have seen it only once, you have missed something. I was seriously hoping the movie would receive Oscar nominations for Best Actor (Norton), Best Screenplay, Best Director, Best Cinematography and Best Picture.

So, how is it that the film received no nominations? Unfortunately, it had a mismatched ad campaign. The ads made it seem like the movie was about street boxing, instead of a intellectual and emotional ride through a man's psyche as he takes a strange path toward rebellion against consumer society. As a result, most who went to see it were disappointed, and those who would recognize its brilliance stayed far away from the movie theaters. This is one of the most underrated movies I know.

I always love movies that keep you entertained and keep you guessing, and this movie scores a 10 in both. Those who enjoyed The Game, Memento, or The Matrix really should check it out.
486 out of 726 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Story Of Descent Into Madness
WesleyWaller2 January 2020
A wonderful film. The depth of character structure is close to perfection. It beckons the question, when reality, fantasy, and mental illness collide could any of us withstand the torment within. It is as much horror film as it is dark humor. Brilliantly written and acted, it is a must see for any true cinephile!
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
kazybekovaayazhan15 October 2019
I, initially , was not quite big fan of these kind of deeply meaningful movies , may be to the reason that I could not fully understand them. Nevertheless, directed by David Fincher, the"fight club" became one of my most preferable movies of all time. The promise that was taken by film was more vital that it firstly seems as. The plot reveals the life of depressed man Edward Norton, who searches for peace in different type of clubs which are based on meetings sick people. A little time later, he faced an individual after whom his life had changed. Under the direction of phenomenal producer , all the way of the film was interesting to watch. The breathtaking scenes and thrilling phrases that are directly connected with the contemporary world, which made a tremendous impact on my view to everything. Nevertheless, the movie is not easily accessible to community, due to the reason that not of all part of society are really understanding the position of director. I personally did the same at the beginning. After the passage of several time I managed my time to rewatch the movie, and felt an opportunity to comprehend my lifestyle. To recapitulate, this is the most influentials movie which has powerful meaning in the background( even bizarre) that Fincher had ever filmed. I strongly recommend to watch it until the very end.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It doesn't get much better than this
Dante Hicks25 June 2000
Similar in idea to 'American Beauty' but certainly not in style or content this bleak look at underground culture and the spiritual redemption it brings is easily one of the most intelligent films I've ever seen. Directed by the same man who brought us the superb 'The Game' this is another film which you'll have to see more than once to truly understand. Focusing on sad white-collar, middle-class Norton whose only real dream in life is to own all the contents of an IKEA catalogue it follows him through a chance meeting with charismatic stranger Pitt and the unfortunate events which conspire to draw them together. After a nights hard drinking they start a friendly-ish scrap which is viewed by a couple of others and from that small acorn a mighty oak called Fight Club grows. This is the point around which the whole film revolves with Norton and Pitt forming an underground club which draws more and more disillusioned young men to join it. Based on firm 'Queensbury Rules' it is a cathartic if bloody way to spend your night. Eventually as it becomes a huge operation Pitt, the de facto leader, moves it up a gear and creates his own cult from this secret society. This is where the film becomes brilliant and the twist near the end is magnificent, better even than the much talked about 'The Sixth Sense'. It just has so much to say about things: the emasculation of an entire generation of young men ("No great war to fight, no great depression"), the growing isolation we all feel from one another and the need to find something to draw us back together and most importantly, the power of an exciting, challenging idea and it's fermentation into cultism. However, where many films would just say 'This is a bad thing' 'Fight Club' doesn't. It is more a condemnation of a materialistic society which has forgotten about a large section of itself. You can empathise with these men completely, even when they band together against this uncaring society that has reared them to be something their instincts don't understand. It's as close to genius as you'll get and one film you'll talk about and think about for days.
454 out of 733 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding
michaellagarcia29 May 2021
Disturbing and deep. Great performance and message.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A rare film that challenges the viewer to come up with his own interpretations
golight18 October 1999
Faithfully following Chuck Palahniuk's acerbic satire, Fight Club presents the vast emptiness of modern existence- ridden as it is with shallow values, rampant consumerism, empty of meaning, feeling and life itself- in a slick and ironically consumer oriented fashion. In a different vein from American Beauty, Fight Club explores the solutions to the veritable sleepwalking existence that plagues modern life. The film is violent, but it is not gratuitous violence, and any reviewer who claims that the film is promoting violence has missed the entire point of the film. A very black comedy, it is sure to provoke much conversation- it is definitely a film to see with friends. The film is fast-paced, densely packed and merits a second viewing, just to take it all in, especially if you haven't read the book. In typical Fincher style, you the viewer are left to draw your own conclusions. He feels no impetus to tell you how to interpret what you've seen, appropriate since the film condemns falling victim to the strictures of what society tells us to think and to value. My only criticism is that the editing is not as tight as it could be in the middle section of the film, it drags just a bit then picks up again. Other than that, it should definitely be an Oscar contender.
362 out of 604 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Life-changing masterpiece
Azizenberg12 October 2019

Honestly, how many times have you seen a movie that, with every viewing, gets even more complicated yet so simple that you can't help but laugh. Every time I watch this movie I notice something new about it, such is the depth of what is on the screen. Then there's the tiny issue of the story of Fight Club, penned by Chuck Palahniuk (who has one of the most fertile imaginations around. Don't believe me? Read 'Survivor' and weep!) the story is nothing short of incredible, a pure shock-value social commentary on the state of the world at the end of the century. You'll cry, you'll laugh, you'll do all the cliches but most importantly you'll identify with every single thing on the screen.

This movie rates as one of my all-time favorite movies and, simply put, if you haven't seen it yet then quit wasting your time On Line and get to the nearest video store!
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant Direction and Superb Acting
camiloarenivar6 December 2001
Fight Club is a brash slap in the face of consumerism and the working dead. It questions reality. It is strikingly thought provoking and visually stimulating. The direction is incredibly brilliant. Director David Fincher (Aliens, Se7en and The Game) is at his finest here warping both space and time, dropping in things here and there to make things clear. Edward Norton is excellent as Jack, the narrator of the movie. He is a nerdy insomniac who catalog shops at Ikea and has a going nowhere job. Brad Pitt is dynamic as Tyler Durden, an anarchistic man who lives in a run-down abandoned house and makes and sells soap for a living. Helen Bonham Carter is also great as Marla Singer, the manic-depressive chain-smoking woman in both their lives. Her role is critical and she plays it well.

There has been some controversy about the violence in this film but it is not gratuitous violence, it is part of the story and serves it well. It is much less than what you would see in your average Hollywood blockbuster. This is actually an insightful film and in many ways similar to American Beauty, although this film is much more in your face about it's message. If you are squeamish, you may not want to see it. There are some very painful bloody scenes, but if you can stomach it, then check it out. There is also a huge twist in this film that almost rivals the twist at the end of The Sixth Sense. And I must admit, it is the twist in this film that made me really love it. The best audience for this film is men in their 20's or 30's, but anyone that can appreciate film as a modern art should like it. One of the best films of 1999.
350 out of 608 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.