Pitch Black (2000) Poster

(2000)

An Excellent use of Sci-Fi as a story telling medium
ParanoidAndroidMarvin8 April 2002
While most movies that pit humans against horrendous extra terrestrials end up being cheap imitations of the 'Aliens' series, Pitch Black stands as a fine piece of Sci-Fi, and an excellent movie all around. Perhaps my favorite aspect of the film is the lighting. This movie beautifully employs many different colors, shades and intensities of light which set the mood and lend a unique feeling to the film itself, something different than the 'normal' movie lighting we are generally subjected to. Vin Diesel brings his character to life in an excellent manner, skillfully avoiding the routine portrayal of the hardened criminal. After all, the film is about Riddick's (Diesel's character) personal journey, so thankfully Vin doesn't drop the ball. The remainder of the cast (with the exception of the talented and gorgeous Claudia Black) were unknown to me but all turned in marvelous performances, animating the diverse characters with unique quirks and mannerisms. Pitch Black is a perfect example of making a great film with out the resources of an excessive budget. The special effects are more than adequate, but at the same time they are by no means the sole focus, as in many high budget 'blockbusters'. It's a great movie because it uses Science Fiction as a medium to tell an engaging, provoking story, rather then telling a mediocre story to use the flash of Science Fiction.
285 out of 335 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How to survive in pitch black?
NightfallRaven10 May 2005
Pitch Black is a survival story. It's about how to survive in an hostile, alien world against even more hostile enemies. The task gets even more difficult when the nearest enemies can be found within your own surviving group.

The plot of Pitch Black is quite usual and has been seen several times before in different variations. But what makes this movie shine above others, is it's well-written characters.

The group consists of very different people with few more interesting than the others: Jack, a boy with a secret; Fry, a pilot having hard time with her own conscience; Johns, a bounty- hunter with a drug-habit; Imam, a holy man facing the fact that God is sometimes cruel and Riddick, a convict and a murderer learning to value others, not only himself. Characters start to live in the movie. They aren't only paper like in many other movies of this genre. You start to care for the characters, especially for Riddick though that feels quite odd. He is supposed to be the bad guy. In this movie, the line between light and pitch black is very thin. All characters are familiar with both.

Other thing that works in this movie is the casting. Rarely do actors fit to their roles this well. Radha Mitchell is suitable for Fry. Cole Hauser brings the right amount of cruelness and sense of responsibility for Johns. But the most impressive work is done by Vin Diesel. He does great job as Riddick. In his hands Riddick is quite creepy, definitely very dangerous and also deep character, just as he is supposed to be.

So, how do you survive in Pitch Black? Keep your friends close and enemies even closer.
154 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting and entertaining with a good cast of mostly unknowns and great special effects.
trehling18 February 2000
The opening scene of this movie is pretty incredible. I've seen a number of sci-fi movies with great special effects but my roommate and I looked at each other after the opening sequence and he said plainly, "sensory overload." The plot of the movie is pretty simple but the nice thing about this sci-fi movie is that it lets the audience figure out most of the technology for themselves instead of wasting time to "subtly" explain it. The creatures in this movie are also very interesting. You don't get a really good look at them until about two thirds of the way through. Overall, a very entertaining movie.
121 out of 159 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a great film! If this is your genre', you won't be disappointed . . .
charles00028 September 2011
I will admit, I was already a fan of Serenity, Riddick Chronicles and all that, so I did go into this film with a bit of predetermined anticipation. On the flip side, I'm not always that much of a Vin Deisel fan, in that he is somewhat mono-dimensional in his range of characters, but for the embodiment of Riddick, he does fit perfectly. As for the story and how it plays out, the pace is good, not too encumbered with gratuitous special effects and all that, but where it does fit, the CGI is well done and appropriate.

The one really glaring technical defect in this story is how everyone just gets out and starts walking around, breathing in the air without the slightest concern for differences in the atmosphere, microbes and so on, but this is a common flaw that is often somehow glossed over in many such stories, so I can't harp on that detail too much.

As for Radha Mitchell, she is smokin' hot here, not in a ridiculous or frivolous way, but as her tough, seasoned interplanetary merchant marine ship's captain character "Fry", she nails it perfectly. If anything, she very much reminds me of Andrea Osvart (see her as the Hungarian assassin "Gilda" in the film "Two Tigers").

Now, if these two ladies ever appeared together in a film, I would drop everything and go check that out in a heartbeat . . . but I digress.

In any case, I have no trouble with granting 8 stars to "Pitch Black".
46 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The next Alien...
HAZEL-520 February 2000
From the first 10 seconds of Pitch Black I was hooked. I had walked into this movie thinking that it would be just another cheesy sci-fi movie. Instead I found a highly entertaining, on the edge of your seat, thought provoking action film. The movie goes beyond your basic special effects flick. The actors are amazing, Radah Mitchell (High Art, Love and other..) as Fry is truly a joy to watch on screen, while Vin Diesel as Riddeck is so captivating that you are dying just to hear him speak again.

The look of the movie is breath taking, the contrast of blues, yellows and oranges due to the three different suns is amazing. Followed by the complete darkness of nightfall. I would truly recommend any lover of the ALIEN movies or Radha Mitchell (which is why I went to see it) to check out this film. I'm sure by the end you'll look at the dark in a whole new way.
186 out of 259 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Relentless and gorgeous sci-fi action film
mstomaso10 September 2006
Let me waste a moment of your time to explain how I approached this film. 1st I dismissed the trailers out of hand because the film appeared to be an uncredited remake of Aliens, which I consider to be one of the weakest films in the Alien series. Stupidly continuing to dismiss the film after I heard positive things about it from people whose opinions I trust, I missed the theatrical run completely. I then became hooked on Farscape, in its 3rd or 4th season at the time, and found Pitch Black on cable one night around bed time - so I said "oh why not, at least it has Claudia Black in it." Soon, I recognized Keith David, and began to realize that Vin Diesel, Radha Mitchell and Cole Hauser could all act (why this should surprise me, I do not know). I was captivated. I have now remained captivated for four years. I just watched the film for the 3rd or 4th time, and I still love it.

This is not an art film, not an independent, and its not entirely original, but where it fails to break a lot of new ground, it utterly succeeds in providing interesting, realistic characters, hard-driving action in the medium of a compelling but simple plot, and non-stop entertainment; an absolutely beautiful environment with tastefully rendered special effects. Sound to good to be true? Don't take my word for it... see it for yourself.

The film also highlighted the charisma of the now somewhat iconoclastic Vin Diesel, introducing the character of Richard Riddick. Diesel would go on to star in the somewhat Riddick-ulous Chronicles thereof (which I also enjoyed, though recognizing its rather huge flaws) and is now something of a legend. Diesel is so charismatic, so big, and so interesting to watch that it is easy to ignore the fact that he is not only a talented actor, but a smart one too. Checking out the DVD version of Pitch Black, with the audio comments on might just blow you away.

The film is about the crew of an inter-system transport ship stranded on an unknown planet after a crash-landing in which their captain was killed. The new commander is inexperienced but bright and heroic (Mitchell), but she is caught between two dominant and dangerous personalities - a bounty hunter with secrets (Hauser) and a dangerous criminal who has been surgically altered to see in the dark (Diesel). Is that all? Of course not - the planet is inhabited, and the inhabitants are hungry.

As unoriginal and improbable as some of this may be, Pitch Black is beautifully filmed, well told, and very nicely performed. Don't expect to learn anything, and don't expect to have to think a whole lot, but do expect to have fun with this modern sci-fi action classic.
84 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing, one of the best sci-fi films ever.
RaziaK17 November 2004
As a zombie fan, I really love these types of plots where people end up in strange places surrounded by wicked monsters! PB is also an excellent tie-in to Chronicles of Riddick (COR). The gang has to run as fast as they can away from darkness. There are so many metaphors in the story! Riddick is this bad guy, but he's also the hero who tries to save the slow-paced folks. The Muslim guy, Imam, relies on the sun's positions for the five times a day prayers, but he is stuck in a land where darkness will rule. Overall, I recommend this film to any sci-fi fans. You won't be disappointed.
112 out of 172 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best sci-fi movie ever!
stephie-1222 February 2004
This movie is about the crew of a spaceship who crash land onto a strange bright planet with three suns. Among the passengers is convicted serial killer, Richard Riddick (Vin Diesel), and his nemesis, Johns (Cole Hauser). While the survivors of the wreck are getting their bearings, an eclipse of all three suns happens. Shortly afterwards, scary creatures begin to appear and start to pick off the crew members one by one. During the eclipse, Riddick comes into his own, as his eyeballs have been surgically shined, giving him night vision. The crew have to rely on him to try to get them to safety.

This is a very stylish film, with the colour of the sky changing scene by scene, giving it a very strange look. Vin Diesel is brilliant as Riddick, truly menacing but forced to help people who otherwise would only see him as a threat. There is also an underlying humour in his performance as well, which adds another dimension to the character. This is the sort of role that Vin excels in, the anti-hero, whos character is not as one-dimensional as first appears. I can imagine no-one else in this role, it could have been written specifically for him.

Roll on Chronicles of Riddick!
103 out of 162 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Forget the first half hour, then it's great!
PlanecrazyIkarus27 February 2002
This film gets off to a bad start. An incredibly corny monologue is followed immediately by a brilliantly-done, truly amazing spaceship crash. Then things go downhill again, as you realize that the survivors are all a) bad actors (apart from the docking pilot and the psychopath) and b) almost all of them fit too nicely into the role of monster-fodder. Hell, half of them don't even speak English, preventing the audience from getting to know the characters at all. You feel as if you were watching "Deep Blue Sea" meets "Silence of the Lambs", minus the good bits. And unfortunately, the entire thing tries to hard to be "Crashed on a desert planet with Hannibal Lecter" during the daylight scenes. Vin Diesel is a great actor - but he is no Anthony Hopkins, and he frankly annoys as the smart hyper-cool psycho. There is at least one very good scene involving an unexpected survivor - but apart from that you could just as well have cut out the first thirty minutes or so...

But then things take a turn. I can't exactly pinpoint the moment, but soon the movie gets a lot better. It also feels less chopped - the scenes actually begin to follow each other with a consistent narrative, and Vin Diesel becomes much less annoying and soon he is a show-stealer. By the time the first monsters appear, the film is actually quite enjoyable. By the time night falls, it is great. Thrilling, horrifying and exciting. And even the character development of most main characters is well-done. If you can just sit through the poor bits at the start you're in for some GREAT entertainment.

Besides, the visuals are eye-candy, and I honestly admit: I love the colour and the tone of this movie.

7/10 (could have been 9/10, if only....)
72 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It Is not With Riddick that They Have to Be Worried about
claudio_carvalho6 November 2016
When the transport ship "Hunter-Gratzner" is hit by a meteor shower, the pilot Carolyn Fry (Radha Mitchell) is awaken from the cryogenic sleep and tries to control the vessel with forty passengers. She is forced to release a module and only Carolyn; the bounty hunter William J. Johns (Cole Hauser); the religious Abu "Imam" al-Walid Lewis (Keith David); the dealer Paris P. Ogilvie (Lewis Fitz- Gerald); Sharon 'Shazza' Montgomery (Claudia Black); the runaway teenager Jack (Rhiana Griffith); John 'Zeke' Ezekiel (John Moore); Suleiman (Les Chantery); Hassan (Sam Sari); Ali (Firass Dirani); and the dangerous criminal Richard B. Riddick (Vin Diesel) survive. Riddick escapes and Johns scares the survivors telling how dangerous he is. The group is stranded in the desert and find that place is heated by three suns and they team-up to seek for water and supplies. Soon they discover that there are under siege of flesh eating aliens that attack in the darkness; further, the planet will be pitch black with a total eclipse. They conclude that it is not with Riddick that they have to be worried about.

After sixteen years, "Pitch Black" is still a great B-movie that may be considered a new-classic in the present days. The story is engaging with good special effects. But the most amazing is the direction and the perfect casting of unknown actors and actresses. "Pitch Black" brought the attention of the audiences to Vin Diesel in his first success; Radha Mitchell, from "Everything Put Together" of the same year, is perfect in the role of Carolyn Fry; and the always efficient Cole Hauser and Keith David have also great performances. The noncommercial conclusion is also a plus of "Pitch Black". My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil) "Eclipse Mortal" ("Mortal Eclipse")
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Furious Sc-iFi Flick
rollernerd22 August 2020
Welcome to another edition of Adam's Reviews!! **queue in intro music**

Greetings from the dark...We will have a break from Streep movies and look at a personal favourite sci-fi character of mine, the underrated Riddick....

Tonight's movie review is all about survival, how to survive in a hostile, alien world against even more hostile creatures. The first entry of this series is the science-fiction horror flick Pitch Black (2000) where a commercial spaceship is transporting through hyperspace a crew of people who are in suspended animation (deep sleep) to a new outpost. After a brief monologue around animal instinct...boom! Something hits the ship and we see a cool spaceship crash-landing on an abandoned planet which has three suns so pretty much there is no night. So, the survivors try to observe where they have landed and survey the interesting landscape until one by one each survivor gets killed by a creature who lives underground. Soon the remaining survivors find out that they have marooned on a planet full of bloodthirsty creatures that only come out to feast at night and guess what...as fortune fits the month-long eclipse is about to occur straight away....

The survivors are a mixture of interesting people including the only member of the crew who is dealing with her moral dilemma around leadership and overcoming her own fears, a holy man on a hajj to New Mecca, a supposedly police officer who is hooked on morphine and the prisoner he's transporting, Riddick played by the furious Vin Diesel. To me this film truly belongs to Vin Diesel as Riddick - he has the most magnetic screen presence and is a show stealer with the execution of his dialogue. As a movie goer who watched this when it first came out pre Fast and Furious days, I wasn't sure whether Riddick was a villain or the main core character who tries to do good. And still to this day I have the same feeling. Diesel plays Riddick in a creepy and dangerous manner while trying to avoid the typical hardened criminal. The character Riddick and the deal with his eyes and his development in the flick really brings out a raw protagonist.

The overall acting from the others isn't the best, the choppy scenes of some of the deaths are interesting, however the colour and the tone really places this flick on a different level which enhances the thrilling, horrifying and exciting elements through the movie. This sci-fi flick is a perfect example of making a good film without having a massive large budget. Overall, this an entertaining film 8/10
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good movie which takes a new approach to the sci-fi genre
malmroes4 July 2008
Even though this movie starts off with the usual: something goes wrong, spacecraft crashes, people are stranded etc. it still pulls off and introduces the viewer to some new ideas. Riddick is somewhat of a bad-ass convict and has modified his eyes so he is able to see in the dark which is a much sought after ability due to the situation the ship-crew and he gets in. The cutting in the movie is very good and emphasizes the mystique that shrouds around the anti-hero and male protagonist: "Riddick." The story in Pitch Black is, as already mentioned, to some extent very unoriginal and dissatisfied, but the clipping and cutting in the movie blended with some surprising elements which has been added to the story helps it to still support itself very well and one is afterward left behind with a hybrid feeling of satisfaction and hunger for more. Vin Diesel acts really well in the role as Riddick and even though his character is a hardcore, tough survivor he still takes morale decisions almost on the verge of good, but that does not mean his decisions do not turn in his favor at the very end... Why destroy an already perfect reputation? All in all this is a very good movie though not perfect. The story seems very unoriginal at the surface, but underneath it shines with enough originality to entertain. Some scenes has that wow factor while it as a whole is a bit better than average. It could maybe be described as a cult movie and it is definitely a recommendation for people who wants a spiced up sci-fi story blended with some minor psychological moments and an intriguing protagonist, namely Riddick.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impressive creature feature
charchuk14 March 2007
A nice twist on the Alien formula, with a surprisingly good script and a great performance by Vin Diesel. Riddick is one of the most likable anti-heroes in recent memory, and in this film he's given equal doses of hero and villain. The exposition is nearly perfect, introducing all the characters very well and setting up the story adequately. It moves a little too fast after that, though, bypassing a lot of the story in favour of quick kills. Still, the visuals are solid and the direction is quite innovative - I liked the high contrast showing how bright it was on the planet. Diesel carries the movie, but Radha Mitchell is pretty solid opposite him. Some pretty nice gore scenes too. Just a pretty good creature feature.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie blows
michaelmayhew5 November 2000
A completely retarded attempt at entertainment. Let's just address the preposterous premise of this disaster. Not only do we have to swallow interstellar airline travel, but we have to accept that a craft could hurdle through the atmosphere of a planet at a rate of speed unknown to the on-board computer, and leave numerous survivors. And surprise, the planet just happens to have the same atmosphere and physical characteristics of a desert on Earth. For there there the movie becomes even more ridiculous. Don't waste your time. Watch "Alien" again instead
13 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Film Noir SciFi Ever!
LivingDog31 October 2004
I really enjoyed this movie. It was edgy without being sociopath. Vin Diesel brought the Riddick character to life and made you feel good and bad about him on different levels.

I also saw Iron Giant and Vin is perfect. (The snowmobile movie - oh yeah, it's called "Triple-X," or "xXx" - was a weak example of his work.) In Pitch Black he plays an anti-hero to the max. I don't think you can go wrong when Vin stars in a movie. Unfortunately, Hollowood might type cast him as an adventure action movie star - wrong! I think the script for "XXX" was weak for which Vin couldn't act down to it.

Anyway, Pitch Black is a great scifi - see it!

-Zafoid
54 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Very Pleasant Surprise; Good Performance By Vin Diesel
sddavis639 July 2009
Exciting and interesting from the start, I have to say that while I approached this movie with at best limited expectations I came away from it pleasantly surprised. Vin Diesel is not really my cup of tea as an actor, but in fact he put on a very good performance in this futuristic sci-fi drama as Richard Riddick, a convicted murderer who's being transported to prison on a spaceship that crashlands on a strange alien world. Once there, the survivors discover that there are terrifying creatures who come out only in the dark, which at first doesn't seem much of a problem since the planet has three suns and is never dark. They then discover, though, that the planet is about to go into an eclipse, plunging it into complete darkness for an unknown length of time, and releasing the creatures to hunt them down.

Diesel's Riddick ends up as the hero of the movie, because he has surgically enhanced eyesight that allows him to see in the dark, and so he takes on the task of leading the others to safety. This movie is at times frightening, and on the odd occasion graphic, but not gratuitously so. A lot of effort was put by director David Twohy into developing the character of Riddick, and into portraying the change as the others slowly learn to trust him with their lives. I thought it slowed down a bit in the last third or so of the movie, and somehow became less interesting once the creatures were actually released by the eclipse. There seemed to be far more suspense as the survivors tried to figure out some of the mysteries of the planet and as they faced the approaching darkness. Once the darkness came, in some ways the movie became a pretty standard sci-fi monster type of movie. Still, it was a lot better than I had expected it to be. 7/10
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as good as it could have been, but a very good movie at that
lopcar199328 May 2009
When I first saw "Pitch Black" about seven years ago I didn't know what to think of it, I thought it was a very good Sci-Fi horror flick and that was pretty much it, But now seeing it again I has a whole new meaning. Pitch Black is the first movie in the chronicles of Riddick series and it introduces the world to Riddick.

This film is not perfect, nor does it pretend to be, there's allot of bad dialog and sometimes the movie just seems to trail off in some places and doesn't follow a steady pace. But if you can over look that this Vin Diesel vehicle is pretty good.

Pitch Black offers you a new insight to the creature feature genre. Instead of dinosaurs , croc's and giant bugs it gives you a whole new species to fear and loath, with that this film delivers only good creature violence and some awesome CGI but besides that it's not much more that a loud clunking action film nothing more nothing less. But all in all Pitch Black is an enjoyable, if not at times absurd, action film.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In Darkness
sol-26 March 2017
When their spaceship crashes on an outskirts planet, fears mount in regards to an incarcerated convicted murderer who fled captivity in the crash, however, the crew and passengers soon find something far more terrifying on the planet itself in this action thriller with a sci-fi twist. Relatively simple as the premise may be, it is undeniably effective with the film's best moments coming from the crew and passengers scurrying about in fear of Vin Diesel's killer, accidentally shooting one another in the process. The tension is not quite the same once Diesel decides to unite with the group to overcome the vicious alien presence on the planet, but there is still plenty to ponder over as all concerned find it so hard to trust Diesel even in the face of a very real alien threat. As for the alien presence on the planet, it brings up a whole gigantic slate of unanswered, perplexing questions, particularly in relation to their allergy to sunlight. Then there is the amazing coincidence of the characters crash landing just before the planet is about to plunge into several days of complete darkness - but this is a pretty decent film when one focuses on trust/mistrust themes and the portrait of diverse individuals all banded together in the name of a common goal to survive. Diesel is very good too in the role that really kick-started his career; he has an awesome line towards the end about saying good night, and with his blacked-out contact lenses and designer goggles, his character leaves an indelible impression that lasts long after the movie has ended.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great ride!
allegra-sloman29 July 2009
From the opening crash scene - a classic, even if it does mess around with the laws of inertia - to the closing scene, this is pulse pounding sci-fi horror with a bravura performance from Vin Diesel. The CGI and effects serve the plot, and not the other way around.

The critters are fantastic (although I have to wonder what they eat when there are no hoomins around).

As with all films like this, there are a couple of troubling plot holes, but far fewer per running foot of celluloid than the average George Lucas movie, and far, far fewer than average. The direction is taut.

Quibbles. Soundtrack is very derivative in spots. To keep the George Lucas comparison going, it's partly dumbed down John Williams. That said, the score has some great creepy parts too. Science quibble.. Low oxygen results in non existent flames and complete inability to run. Character quibble... Vin Diesel's character Riddick's unusual skillset is not explained enough for my satisfaction.

But heck, none of this was enough for my willing suspension of disbelief to get more than a few spare cables cut. If you don't normally watch SF movies this is definitely one to consider, and if you like SF horror this is a must see - in fact true horror buffs might find it tame.

I am variable in how squeamish I am. Some days I can handle pretty disgusting stuff and other days I can't. This movie has a couple of pretty scary scenes, but I didn't find any of it particularly disturbing, and Vin Diesel made the whole trip worthwhile, in this, his breakout role.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What were they thinking?
WilsonLau27 October 2000
This was quite possibly the worst movie I've seen this year and this is not exactly the best year for movies. The story line was interesting but the characters were one dimensional and boring. The ways the characters reacted to their spaceship crashing on an unknown planet was like they just woke up and were like, hey were on a strange freaky planet we're not suppose to be on, and oh yeah theres some booze. Like they didn't really care, like its something that occurs to them every day. That certainly was really unrealistic. I think anyone would be in shock. And they just happen to have a guy who can see very well in the dark. How convienent! Yeah I know a whole bunch of those people. And I know someone who can breathe underwater to save me just in case I'm drowning. Another part of the movie that displayed how poor the directing was handled was in one scene they are walking towards this abandoned station, theres a few buildings there and a spaceship, then they're coming back to their own spaceship and suddenly out of nowhere they have this space car that their driving around. What is this some kind of magical movie? Where we're supppose to fill in all the holes in the plot ourselves? The sad thing is that there are people who actual liked this movie. What kind of world are we living in?
22 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intriguing as well as intelligent Sci-fi movie , being compellingly directed by a good filmmaker , David Twohy
ma-cortes15 July 2015
This is a science fiction thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat . Exciting film packs intrigue , intense scenes , noisy action and astonishing suspense . Freak meteor storm cause a a commercial transport airship to make landing on an unknown planet . Then the spaceship and its survivors are marooned on a planet with three suns and apparently no life and where mysterious events spread across the land . The greatest danger facing our crew has been the planet's best kept secret...until now . Later on , the crew to be aware the planet is full of bloodthirsty creatures that only come out to feast at night . But then , they learn that a month-long eclipse is about to occur .

Creepy and gory Sci-Fi with thrills , chills , suspense and some familiar elements . This is a pretty good as well as scary movie with violent events , intriguing incidents , starked outdoors , and chilling scenes . This is a peculiar rendition of ¨The only come out at night¨ in which some passengers , pilots , bounty hunters and prisoner discover that very nasty hunting creatures attack after dark and the planet is in for a total eclipse . Interesting screenplay from Jim Wheat , Ken Wheat and David Twohy . The film developed from David Twohy's unused idea for Alien³ (1992) , involving a space prison . The fantastic alien creatures are perfectly designed by Patrick Tatopoulos, they have three phases of evolution: 1) embryonic - little harmless Bioluminescent beings 2) youngish - which fly in flock to hunt and finally 3) adult - big gray creatures who are able to kill other members of the species to eat . Vin Diesel gives a hard-ass acting , as usual , as a convicted killer who has nothing to lose . Nice support cast such as Radha Mitchell , Cole Hauser , Claudia Black , Lewis Fitzgerald , Simon Burke , John Moore and Keith David . Thrilling and stirring musical score by Graeme Revell . Colorful cinematography by David Eggby who shows splendidly the desert landscapes from Queensland , Australia . In fact , the hot desert where they filmed was actually about 50F, they were misting water on the actors to make it appear as if they were sweating . As desert scenes filmed in the same location used for Mad Max , beyond Thunderdome (1985) .

The motion picture was well written and directed by David Twohy , it had a 60 days shooting schedule. David is an expert writer and director of splendid Sci-Fi movies . As his first picture was the acceptable ¨Timescape¨ . He also wrote ¨Warlock¨, ¨Waterworld ¨, a script for ¨Alien 3¨ in 1988, but it was rejected . Back in May of 2000 , Fox Studios once inquired for his availability to write and direct "AVP: Alien vs. Predator" , but turned down the offer due to scheduling conflicts . David subsequently directed ¨Below¨, the successful ¨Pich Black¨ and its sequel ¨ The chronicles of Riddick¨ (2004) in which the wanted criminal Riddick arrives on a planet called Helion Prime, and finds himself up against an invading empire called the Necromongers, an army that plans, to convert or kill all humans in the universe , it stars : Colm Feore , Thandie Newton , Judi Dench , Alexa Davalos , Karl Urban , Linus Roache and again Keith David . Furthermore , a third installment : ¨Riddick¨ (2013) in which left for dead on a sun-scorched planet, Riddick finds himself up against an alien race of predators , it stars : Jordi Mollà , Katee Sackhoff , Dave Bautista , Matt Nable , Bokeem Woodbine , Raoul Trujillo , Conrad Pla , and , of course , Vin Diesel .
Less (FX) is more....
hostagtj8 July 2004
Like Spiderman 2, this movie succeeds because if focuses on character development and emotion. FX and action do not overwhelm the story, but rather serve to advance the story and our investment in it, as good cinema should. Too bad Pitch Black 2 moved away from this formula! Radha Mitchell makes a substantial impact in a Sigourney Weaver (Ripley/Alien) role. But this is not an Alien knock-off.... Real, flawed characters in a morality play touching on issues spanning the existence of God to the redemption of even the most cold-blooded of killers. On more superficial levels, Pitch Black also serves as a good popcorn movie, with funky lighting effects, good tension, and cool creature FX....
This was good?
icemanbarrel29 April 2002
I was suckered into watching this movie because it was the only thing left at the video store and I'm glad that I only had to pay 69 cents to watch it. Pitch Black tried to be a serious movie, but I couldn't help but laughing at it. The dialogue was silly at times and the plot was very easy to predict. If you want to waste your money see Pitch Black.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First and only movie I ever considered walking out of
accol29 July 2003
Vin Diesel and Radha Mitchell are both talented performers, however, this movie could not be saved by them or their talent. The movie was B movie quality at best. The plot dragged, Diesel came off as one dimensional and Radha came off as whiny. I didn't want to root for either character and I didn't care what happened to either of them. As the movie progressed I became angry at the performers and the filmmakers; I felt like they were subjecting me to some form of sick torture and I never so desperately wanted to walk out of a movie before in my entire life.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A huge pile of dung, not even worth the price of a rental.
jety2k21 October 2000
A very predictable film that should appeal to pre-adolescent boys or someone starved for entertainment because of the gore factor and cleavage shots. About 30 minutes into this piece of c**p I was cheering for the monsters. Poorly written, acted and directed. I could not believe the moron at the video store compared it to Alien. Alien is a sci-fi classic. This steaming pile is a B movie at best that Alan Smithee would be mortified to be associated with. If you are older than 12 or have an IQ above 85 don't waste your time or money. I did not think it was possible to make a movie worse than Sphere yet they were able to top themselves with this one.
22 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.