The Matrix (1999) Poster

(1999)

4,042 Reviews
The benchmark for all sci-fi films to come
mambubukid19 September 2000
The story of a reluctant Christ-like protagonist set against a baroque, MTV backdrop, The Matrix is the definitive hybrid of technical wizardry and contextual excellence that should be the benchmark for all sci-fi films to come.

Hollywood has had some problems combining form and matter in the sci-fi genre. There have been a lot of visually stunning works but nobody cared about the hero. (Or nobody simply cared about anything.) There a few, though, which aroused interest and intellect but nobody 'ooh'-ed or 'aah'-ed at the special effects. With The Matrix, both elements are perfectly en sync. Not only did we want to cheer on the heroes to victory, we wanted them to bludgeon the opposition. Not only did we sit in awe as Neo evaded those bullets in limbo-rock fashion, we salivated.

But what makes The Matrix several cuts above the rest of the films in its genre is that there are simply no loopholes. The script, written by the Wachowski brothers is intelligent but carefully not geeky. The kung-fu sequences were deftly shot -- something even Bruce Lee would've been proud of. The photography was breathtaking. (I bet if you had to cut every frame on the reel and had it developed and printed, every single frame would stand on its own.) And the acting? Maybe not the best Keanu Reeves but name me an actor who has box-office appeal but could portray the uneasy and vulnerable protagonist, Neo, to a T the way Reeves did. But, come to think of it, if you pit any actor beside Laurence Fishburne, you're bound to confuse that actor for bad acting. As Morpheus, Mr. Fishburne is simply wicked! Shades of his mentor-role in Higher Learning, nobody exudes that aura of quiet intensity than Mr. Fishburne. His character, battle-scarred but always composed Morpheus, is given an extra dose of mortality (He loves Neo to a fault.) only Mr. Fishburne can flesh out.

People will say what they want to say about how good The Matrix is but the bottomline is this: finally there's a philosophical film that has cut through this generation. My generation. The Wachowski brothers probably scribbled a little P.S. note when they finished the script saying: THINK FOR A MOMENT ABOUT YOUR EXISTENCE. What is the Matrix, you ask? Something that's closer to reality than you think.

Either that or it's my personal choice for best film of all-time.
1,074 out of 1,315 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best action sci fi action movies of all time!
MR_Heraclius23 February 2020
The film is as well crafted as the matrix itself! On another level entirely to any other science fiction film from the last 20 years . Getting lost in another world, is interly what Cinema is made for. This one takes you into a whole new universe interly .
104 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Immensely entertaining, intriguingly philosophical and just about one of the best films ever made!
MinorityReporter2 December 2005
Writing a review of The Matrix is a very hard thing for me to do because this film means a lot to me and therefore I want to do the film justice by writing a good review. To tell the truth the first time I saw the film I was enamored by the effects. I remember thinking to myself that this was one of the most visually stunning films I had ever seen in my life. Also having always been a comic book fan and a fan of films that were larger than life, the transitional element of the story was very appealing to me and this probably heightened my enjoyment of the film very much. It wasn't until some time later (and after having seen the film a few times more) that I started to think about the film. I recognized the Christian elements quite quickly but it wasn't until I wrote an actual 15-page essay on the film that I tapped into some of the philosophical and religious elements and that made me appreciate the film even more. I won't say that I have recognized all elements because the film is quite literally packed with them.

Acting wise the film works excellently. I won't say that there aren't any issues because there are but overall the acting is pretty flawless. Keanu Reeves plays the main character, Neo, or Thomas A. Anderson and while he is not the perfect actor I think he does a pretty good job in The Matrix (and the sequels). He doesn't have the longest of lines which was probably a deliberate choice from the directors and it works because this gives him a better opportunity to work on posture and facial expressions and I must say that overall his body language is very good. Very clear and well defined. Laurence Fishbourne plays Neo's mentor Morpheus and he does an excellent job of it. His lines flow with a certain confidence and style that makes his character somewhat unique and interesting. Carrie-Anne Moss does a good job as well and succeeds in looking both cool and sexy in her leather outfit. Joe Pantoliano, a critically underrated actor does a brilliant job of bringing his character, Cypher, to life. I can't say much about him because his character is pretty essential to the plot and I certainly don't wan't to spoil it for anyone. Gloria Foster appears in a relatively small role that will have greater significance in the following films and she does a very good job. The best acting is provided by Hugo Weaving, however, in his portrayal of Agent Smith. It is really something to watch him act out the changes in his character. Agent Smith gains some human traits like anger, sense of dread, hate and eventually even a sly sense of humor (mostly in the sequels). Two thumbs way up to Weaving who has created one of the finest screen villains of all time.

Effects wise the film is simply stunning and it deservedly was awarded the Oscar for best effects (and was regrettably cheated out of a nomination in the Best Film category) ahead of even Star Wars. The reason that I think The Matrix deserves the Oscar for best effects is simply that the effects in The Matrix are more innovative than the ones in Star Wars. Just take a look at how many times the effects have been spoofed and you'll probably agree. The effects also help in the symbolism of the film and in creating a very dystopian atmosphere not unlike the one seen in Blade Runner and this works brilliantly. The film looks beautiful at all times and today 6 years later (my God has it already been 6 years?) the effects still hold their ground against new science fiction films. Add the effects to the brilliant editing and you have a visual masterpiece on your hands. Very well done.

The reason that I think The Matrix is more reviewable than pretty much any other film is the story and the philosophical and religious elements of the story because with every viewing I catch something I didn't see the previous time I watched it. Without spoiling the film I think I can mention a few of the more obvious elements. Obviously the film draws on the Messiah myth as Neo is a clear reference to Jesus with the analogy of his name (Neo = one, as in The One) but also hidden in his other name, Thomas A. Anderson. The first part of his last name, Anderson comes from the Greek Andros meaning "man" and combine this with the second part of his last name "son" and add a little creativity you will come up with the combination "son of man" which was a title Jesus came up with about himself. Also the first time we meet Neo a man calls him (and I quote): "You're my Saviour man. My own personal Jesus Christ." It doesn't get any more obvious than that. Aside from the Christianic elements the film also gets its inspiration from Budhism, Gnosticism (Gnosis = knowledge) but is also inspired by Plato and his analogy of the Cave and Jean Baudrillard's essay, Simulacra and Simulations. Explaining these elements would make this review go on forever so aside from mentioning them I will not comment on them further.

To all the people who doubt the profound nature of The Matrix I can only give one advice: Free your mind and watch the film again. You won't regret it. If I had to choose a favorite all time film my choice would probably fall on either The Matrix (obviously I don't expect people to agree but if they do thats great) or The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and I recommend it to all fans of sci-fi and people who like philosophy.

10/10 - on my top 3 of best films.
623 out of 814 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to the Real World.
notoriousCASK11 April 2018
Without a doubt one of the best and most influential movies of all time, the Matrix is the defining science fiction film of the 1990's and the biggest leap the genre has taken since Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey and Ridley Scott's Blade Runner. The Matrix is a ground-breaking motion picture that not only raised the bar for all the science-fiction films to come after it but also redefined the action genre with its thrilling action sequences and revolutionary visual effects.

The film tells the story of Thomas Anderson a computer hacker that in the world of hacking goes by the alias of Neo. When he is contacted by the mysterious outlaw Morpheus and having always questioned his reality, he is awakened to the truth that the world he's been living in is a simulated reality called the Matrix and that he's nothing more than a slave in this dystopian world, created and controlled by A.I powered machines.

The direction and script by the Wachowskis is fantastic, as they drew ideas and inspirations from every other great sci-fi and cyberpunk movie and anime before the film, combining it with stunning action and putting it into one picture that has enough style, substance and subtext that everyone ended up giving their own interpretation of the story. The research that went into the preparation of the screenplay is quite extensive but the manner in which it is presented on the big screen is also very impressive. Every character presented on the film, has a well-defined arc and a purpose, and their motivations are clear.

The cinematography is impeccable. It was very innovative in the use of the camera angles and movements, the zooms, the slow-motion captures and the different color palette used to differentiate the Matrix and the real World. The editing is flawless, as it makes sure that every scene is integral to the story and ensures the pace of the film stays ferocious through its entire runtime. Each frame is also packed with so much visual information for the viewer to devour. The visual effects introduced us to the bullet-time effect and their impact can still be felt in today's movies. The performances are also incredible. Each member of the cast gave their best performances and brought the characters they portray to life, but the one that stands out the most is Hugo Weaving's disciplined rendition of his character, Agent Smith; a powerful computer program made to search and destroy the human rebellion, in undoubtedly the greatest performance in his career.

In conclusion The Matrix is a masterpiece everyone should see. It is one of the most thought provoking, inventive, pioneering, influential and stylish movies of all time and it's also full of philosophical and religious allegories waiting for interpretation. Immortal for its contribution to cinema and pop culture, its brilliant combination of inventive visual effects, excellent vision and exquisite action easily makes it one of the best, most influential and most entertaining movies ever made.
226 out of 299 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What is the Matrix? Well, one of the best films ever, for one thing...
SdrolionGM3 March 2001
The Matrix...when I first heard about it, I expected just another sci-fi action thriller. Good and filled with insane stunts, but not terribly intelligent.

Boy, was I wrong. Oh, the stunts are there in spades, all right, and yes, they are awesome. And the special effects are absolutely amazing (even if similar ones have been used in other movies as a result- and not explained as well).

But the movie has plot as well. It has characters that I cared about. From Keanu Reeves' excellent portrayal of Neo, the man trying to come to grips with his own identity, to Lawrence Fishburne's mysterious Morpheus, and even the creepy Agents, everyone does a stellar job of making their characters more than just the usual action "hero that kicks butt" and "cannon fodder" roles. I cared about each and every one of the heroes, and hated the villains with a passion. It has a plot, and it has a meaning...and lo and behold, a plot does help the fight scenes! Just try it, if you haven't seen the movie before. Watch one of the fight scenes. Then watch the whole movie. There's a big difference in the feeling and excitement of the scenes- sure, they're great as standalones, but the whole thing put together is an experience unlike just about everything else that's come to the theaters. Think about it next time you're watching one of the more brainless action flicks...think how much better it COULD be.

All I can say is WATCH THIS MOVIE. If you haven't, you're missing out on one of the best films of all time. It isn't just special effects, folks.
606 out of 842 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The more you watch it, the better it gets
emptyskies23 April 2002
The Wachowski brothers really did excel themselves with this movie. It's a brilliant movie on a number of different levels - the directing is excellent, the camera work is great, the visuals are stunning, the kung-fu is A+, acting is executed with style and conviction, and the plot is truly inspired. It's really hard to use enough superlatives on this movie!

It'd be a 10/10, except for the ending. Having Neo do what he does at the end really lets it down, in my opinion. However, there's a couple of sequels on the way, so let's see what the Wachowskis can do to make up for it.

Other than that, (and like I said above) the movie is operating on so many different levels that each time you watch it, you pick up something new... this isn't by accident, either. The Wachowski brothers had the actors read a number of definitive works (Simulation & Simulcra was one I believe) in modern literature and psychology, and applied liberal dashings of aspects of the major religions to provide the best sci-fi movie of the decade, if not ever.

I'm yet to meet somebody who hasn't enjoyed it. It's my favourite movie to watch on a good cinema system, too.
381 out of 544 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stunning and wild...
Pessimisticynic3 April 1999
It's been a while since a movie has generated enough interest in me for me to watch it. "The Matrix" looked exciting enough in the trailers, so I decided to give it a look. What I found was an amazing movie, with some of the greatest special effects I've ever seen. The camera angles really work for the action sequences and the choreographed fight scenes made me yearn for more. Say what you want about Keanu Reeves' acting. He may not deliver the best dialogue, but his look can carry a film. He was a great choice for the role of Neo. Carrie Anne Moss was great as was the underrated Laurence Fishburne. I highly recommend this film for those who are a fan of visually stunning movies. It will blow away your senses...
441 out of 651 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still holds up 20 years later..
mail-32168 November 2018
Even with the new 4k hdr these the graphics and action scenes area holding up to the test of time. It not only looks better than mainstream movies today, you're hard pressed to tell what was added in visual effects and what was happening at the time of the shoot.

The entire tower scene, not just the bottom level, is a thing of beauty. From all of the rain and explosions and bits flying around that you can see clearly now in 4K, to the generated explosion when the bomb hits the basement. Just gorgeous. Give it a watch, or a rewatch. It's worth it even now more than ever.
91 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Raises the bar for sci-fi films for years to come
wolf_wallace29 March 2000
The Wachowski Brothers vision of a possible future takes the visual and sound aspects of filmmaking to a new high. Incorporating older still photography with computer enhancement to the degree that appears on the screen has raised the genre to a level that will be very hard-pressed by filmmakers for a number of years. Acting was wonderful, script, visual, sound, everything about this film is a tribute to a usually overlooked genre.
392 out of 600 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favourite film
bencoops31 January 2019
The first time i watched this, i was absolutely amazed with the concept of it. The action is just so amazing to watch. I've seen this film 3 times and each time it just gets better. If you like sci fi action films then this is the film for you.
39 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
20 years on from release, some random thoughts on revisiting The Matrix. Spoiler: It's still brilliant.
david-meldrum22 February 2019
20 years after its release, and several years since I last saw it, some reflections on the experience of rewatching The Matrix. In no particular order ...

1) It still look great. I mean, this is one amazing, stylish looking phone. Very little about the look of the film has dated - the mobile phones, obviously, Neo's computer, and very briefly a couple of visual effects creak. But otherwise, this looks as amazing at it did on release. It's sumptuous.

2) I think I was one of the many who misjudged Keanu Reeves all those yeas ago. I made easy jokes about his vacant stare and apparent intelligent. From this vantage point we can see he's been in a good number of successful, intelligent films. It's also become clear that within the industry he as a reputation as decent, hardworking man who is a pleasure to work with.

3) It's apparent again how literate and cine-literate the film is. I knew this 20 years ago, but since then I've seen a lot more films and read a lot more books, and this time around I especially loved the way the film nods its head to other film genres and influences. I noticed a lot of Peckinpah, and did I see a nod to Kurosawa there too? And I was reminded that for an English Literature graduate like me, this is a goldmine of quotes, allusions and references.

4) Seen 20 years on, its influence on cinema since is clear. There's a lot we could talk about here, but I was especially struck by how indebted a director like Christopher Nolan is (keeper of the flame of intelligent blockbusters), especially with Inception.

5) I'd forgotten that the narrative ostensibly maintains uncertainty about Neo's identity until just before the end. I'm not sure this really works - anyone who's read many books or ever done an anagram will not find that the most suspenseful part of the narrative.

6) Despite a run time of 2 and a quarter hours, it never flags and attention never wonders. The film fizzes with kinetic energy and the time flies by. It's a lean film, without a wasted moment.

7) The film is, of course, packed with religious allusions. When I wrote a chapter on this for my BA Theology dissertation, I said I thought the film was neo-Bhuddist (forgive the pun, please), and I stand by that on rewatching. Of course, there's lots of allusions to Christian and other theology, and The Matrix spawned some really bad reading of film by Christians which has never really stopped. When will some Christians learn to read a film/book etc with integrity and understanding of what the film is trying to do? It's a spiritually confused mish-mash of a film - but still a gloriously entertaining one.

8) All these years later, it turns out The Matrix was somewhat prophetic about the role technology would play in our lives. Humans permanently plugged in to networks? Different layers of reality that are somehow more real than what we think of as real? The Wachowskis saw all that and more coming 20 years ago. Artists are the weather vane of society; we really should learn to pay attention to them.

9) Bottom line. I still bloody love this film. I'm trying to work out if I have the requisite strength to revisit the sequels....
53 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best ever. Period.
blake-northcott25 May 2018
By the end of the 90s, there hadn't been much in terms of fresh, new sci-fi that we hadn't seen before. Or so I thought.

The Matrix combined the best of hard science-fiction with Asian cinema's frenetic and masterfully choreographed action sequences, gorgeous direction, pitch-perfect casting, and the best martial arts I'd ever seen in a Hollywood film.

I don't think the sequels did it justice, but The Matrix - as a stand-alone film - remains one of my all time favorites in ANY genre.
80 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best movies ever! (This review is only about the original Matrix movie)
elto-3028322 May 2018
The Matrix is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made!

I read it used to be one of Tarantino's favourite ones too, but the second and third ones ruined the whole beautiful idea and brought the overall value of the movie pretty low.

The story/philosophy is mind-blowing and the directing, special effects and the overall performance absolutely amazing.

Thomas Anderson (Keanu Reeves) is an IT specialist in his day-to-day job and a hacker (alias Neo) during the night. He is looking for Morpheous (Lawrence Fishburn) who could give him the answer to the question 'What is the Matrix?' The more relevant questions to ask, though, would be "How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?" and "How would you know if what is happening right now is not a virtual reality?"

The antagonist, Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving), is one of my favourite characters. Just watch his mouth - the way he speaks, the tone and pitch of his voice, his pronunciation, even the pauses he makes while speaking, have an incredible effect on the viewer. The concept of people being like cancer to this world is absolutely astounding.

Carrie Ann Moss was the perfect choice for Trinity because any other blond, big lipped, big brested 'bimbo' would have totally ruined her character.

A few more questions pop up in one's mind. "Haven't we gone too far creating such super intelligent machines?", "What if they become so powerfull one day and take control over humanity?"

The acting's just amazing, all of them, no exceptions. The 4 leading characters though... (Morphy, Trinity, Neo & Agent Smith) - (yes, to me there are 4 leads) - I love them all. I can't imagine the movie with any other 4 actors but L. Fishbourn, C.A. Moss, Keanu and H. Weaving. They were born to play those roles.

Whoever did the casting did a terrific job. Bravo!

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!
54 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best
ozer-can27 February 2019
There will be no movie like matrix, thanks for the masterpiece !!
27 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of my favorites
Xophianic2 February 2000
At first, I wasn't interested in seeing the Matrix. But after hardly hearing any bad reviews for it (and believe me, I hear bad reviews for every movie I enjoy) I decided to give it a try. At first, although I really loved the fights, graphics and characters, the plot confused me. (Anyone confused by the plot at all should go to www.knowthematrix.com and you'll find out everything you could want to know) By the second time I watched it, I really understood it, which made the movie even more enjoyable.

I really loved this movie. Just about every character, good or bad, is very interesting and cool. The acting was excellent. Even though I think this was Keanu Reeves at his best, the best acting jobs were done by Laurence Fishburne (Morpheus) and Carrie-Anne Moss (Trinity). Hugo Weaving did an excellent job as Agent Smith and Joe Pantoliano was great as Cypher as well.

The plot is one of the best movie plots I've seen in a movie. An accountant by day, computer hacker by night guy suddenly finds out that reality as we know it is fake and that we are actually in a giant computer program run by robots (that we created, of course) in order for them to get power. Not only that, but he finds out that he is one who is, according to prophecy, going to put an end to it. The greatest thing is that you learn things just as Neo does, so you can really relate to his character.

My favorite thing about this movie is that no matter how many times you watch it, you will learn more about it. I guarantee this. Some may not like this movie because the plot is too complicated, but I recommend that anyone who enjoys movies should go buy this one right away.
44 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Welcome to the "REEL" World: Where the Medium IS the Message!
KissEnglishPasto2 August 2016
....from Pasto,Colombia...Via: L. A. CA., CALI, COLOMBIA.....and ORLANDO, FL

The Wachowski brothers certainly have a handle on the art of film making for the new millennium! 20 or 30 years in the future, a plethora of both historical and imaginary virtual world venues available at your fingertips, via your virtual reality headgear, you won't be asking yourself, once immersed in the world of your choosing, "Wait, how did I get here and why am I here?"

MATRIX illustrates just how insightful and prophetic Marshall McLuhan's assertion "The Medium is the Message" has proved to be! Does Matrix glorify violence? Is it really original? Does it border on blasphemous? Most of the discussion and critique of MATRIX really seem to miss the point entirely. MATRIX is the essence and epitome of style...not substance.

Through a seamless symbiotic blending of diverse visual and auditory elements, most notably the 360º sequential surround photography of artfully choreographed and precisely executed human action scenes, the Wachowski's have achieved a true re-definition of the cinematic experience, on their own terms.

Engaging, engrossing and bombarding your senses with their signature style, ultimately transporting you to a virtual world much more convincing than any drug-induced one. MATRIX clearly speaks to us in a newly formatted cinematic language. My recommendation: Put aside any negative preconceived notions and just listen....

10* STARS*.... ENJOY/DISFRUTELA!

Any comments, questions or observations, in English or Español, are most welcome!
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
...it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
I remember taking a class in social psychology many years ago. The Joy Luck Club figured prominently in the course. I like the idea of combining movies and theory.

I am now studying metaphysics, and any study of reality begins with René Descartes, the father of modern philosophy. Descartes began his intellectual odyssey with this question: How do we know that there is a reality outside our own minds? We each know that we have experiences, and we can be sure of these experiences; therefore, each of us can be sure that we exist. But how do we know that the internal experiences we have corresponds to objects outside our minds?

This is the whole theme of The Matrix. Watching this film is like studying metaphysics.
60 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
New meanings
denisbabak25 December 2018
The Matrix is one of the best science fiction action film directed by The Wachowski Brothers. The film has influenced both the cinema industry and the computer entertainment industry. When you watch The Matrix for the first time, it looks like perfect action movie with high-class special effects and good actors.

Time passed and we remember only a black cloak, two hands shooting, kung-fu and running on the walls.

Recently I watched it again and I was amazed that there was so much hidden behind the spectacular scenes that I needed to watch this film several times, and I would probably find something that I had missed earlier. Reality is the only what we see and feel.

We can understand the movie in different ways. You will see what you emphasize. Slavery, the fight against the system, the role of man in this system and the system in life, fanaticism and faith, chosenness and resurrection.

I suggest watching The Matrix even if you've already watched it.
35 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Checkmate in Gridlock...
Xstal22 August 2020
We gorge on the binaries prophesied through an ever increasing bandwidth as we exponentially widen our dietary desire to become what everyone wants us to be without thought for who or what we really are or could be.
20 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great epic that sets the stage for the next level in sci-fi...
MercurioKnight27 April 2000
Who is to say what is real or not? We are defined by our view of reality, no matter how twisted or demented it is in comparison to 'normal' people. *evil eye* Yes, I see you all, looking in the mirror, trying to decipher whether or not your view is the reality we all share.

The Matrix not only supplies the world with a whole new level of special effects mixed with style and substance, it also brings a whole new meaning to the word 'paranoria'. This is one of those great epics that becomes a milestone in our present day world, a mark for which just about everybody can appreciate. Not since the original Starwars trilogy has a science fiction film reached across almost the entire population and gripped it with awesome special effects, great sound, and a overall feel of ground breaking movie making magic. It also serves up a good dose of paranoid delusions we all need in our lives every now and then.

With that, I leave you with the fact that I've seen more different types of people liking this one film than most other films to date. Move over George Lucas, you may have just met your match... :)
170 out of 285 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Guns. Leather. Keanu Reeves. How cool can it get?
dogg0119 July 2000
You walk into this film not knowing what the Matrix is. You take your seat and watch the trailers. The green Warner Brothers (green? you ask) trademark comes up, and without warning you are thrust into the Wachowski brothers grand vision. 2 hours of excitement later, you stumble out of the cinema, knowing what the Matrix is.

This is one great movie. Keanu Reeves is cooler than cool as Neo. The Wachowski brothers skilful direction is brilliant. The special effects sequences will blow you away, did I mention the government lobby scene?

The film starts off with a 'what is real?' first half, and then the first kung-fu sequence makes way for an action- packed, John Woo-esque second half with slomo and style cranked up all the way to the top. Did I mention the government lobby scene?

Keanu becomes Cool Keanu, Carrie-Anne Moss is a real find and Hugo Weaving is perfect in his against typecasting role as the evil Agent Smith.

You may notice in this review that I have not revealed what the Matrix is. Like the trailer says, 'You have to see it for yourself.'

Excellent. Best film of '99. 9/10.
264 out of 477 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best movie ever
jaimeplaton12 October 2018
When we will see another movie with the same speed? So deeply philosophical? Sadly, the most likely answer is... NEVER
25 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still awesome!
tempsjayjay28 May 2019
Watched again recently and still stands up as one of the best movies ever!
16 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still hip as heck even after 20 years
TaylorYee941 October 2020
You name it. Technology, CGI, flow of the story, the concept, action, romance, style, music,... everything you want is realized in this movie to the level of perfection. The scene where Neo and Trinity go to the virtual reality to save Morpheus is so fashionable that I screamed. The camera angle, costume, music, and the gunfights.. all these qualities shine the heroes. The entertainment value of this movie should not be overlooked because of its high quality and philosophy.

I can see how much research Wachowski sisters put in to make their imaginations and concepts realized in the two-hour movie in plausible ways. How is dystopian future and present is connected? How does dream within a dream work? All the questions about their imaginary world is answered because they pay attention to details and they explain every existence and terms with logic one step at a time. There is no leap of logic, very tightly well-woven script.

Their concept is not just future or imaginary anymore. In 2020, we see AI taking over many of works and jobs that humans used to do and invading privacy. Virtual reality games gain popularity over time, and you see Neo everywhere who adapts quickly in the Internet world and learn the combat game so fast and naturally.

The impact of 'The Matrix' in the movie industry is more than imaginable. Of course, revolutionary visual effects with elaborated CGI techniques created iconic bullet-dodging scene of Neo. Because the Matrix system in the movie is kindly well-explained, it widens a scale of sci-fi genre. Hunger Games, Inception, Eagle Eye, Wall-E, and so many other movies that followed benefited from this epic work.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great film about Non-Duality
DanielStephens198825 July 2019
Reality is non-dual, which means that all boundaries, all categories, and all distinctions ultimately collapse, they're all relative. There is no distinction between inside/outside, me/other, right/wrong, black/white, human/non-human, all of these dualities will ultimately collapse. Your mind constructs all these categories and distinctions. It is beneficial to see how most of the things taught in school, and adult life has just been categories that were constructed by the human mind. Many of these distinctions are purely conceptual, they're not absolute in any sense and that they ultimately all collapse into one unity.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.