Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TV Series 1987–1996) Poster

The Best Animated Series Of My Childhood
MisterWhiplash15 January 2000
Teenage Mutant Nija Turtles is something I will never forget because it touched me in a way no other series did when I was a kid. The Ninja Turtles were fun loving, pizza eating and ninja fighters. And they taught kids lessons along the way. What more can you ask for. Oh yeah, the next best thing.
37 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Mr_Garak6 February 2003
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Heroes in a half shell TURTLE POWER!

Their the worlds most fearsome fighting team.

We're really hip.

Their Heroes in the half and their green.

Hey get a grip.

When the evil shredder attacks, these Turtle four don't cut him no slack.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Splinter taught them to be Ninja teens.

He's a radical rat

Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines.

And that's a fact jack!

Raphael is cool but crude

Gimme a break.

Michaelangelo is a party dude.

PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!

Heroes in a half shell TURTLE POWER!

One of the best show I ever watched.

Growing up as a kid in the UK I had to put up with the show being renamed "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" aswell as the theme song being changed to say "Hero" Instead of "Ninja" the start of "P.C." in the UK.

What's wrong with the word Ninja I ask you?

Ninja's are cool and the turtles proved this.

Of course Cam Clarke (Leonardo) now does the voice of Prince Adam / He Man in the new He Man series, and who could forget Will Smith's Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince, James Avery as The Shredder.

A Classic cartoon which should be brought out on DVD.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the greatest shows of all time.
TheTransfan20 July 2000
As a kid, this was one of the greatest TV series of all time. Everything about it was fresh and original; nowadays, cartoons (and other TV shows) copy other shows. Leonardo was always my favorite because he was the mature, leadership-involved turtle. I miss it not being on the air. This show, the Transformers, G.I. Joe, and X-Men were the best cartoons.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
80s quality cartoon carried into the 90s
yojoedave2 January 2004
This was probably the cartoon that saved the animation of the 90s from being really awful. The last of the great, great 80s cartoons.

Great writing, great characters, voice talent, stories, humour. This is only reiterated by its long running air time in syndication, and its slot on CBS Saturday morning.

I remember the syndicated episodes and the CBS episodes being slightly different.

Now for my real beef: Don't be fooled by the remakes and redoings, live-action, animated or otherwise of TMNT that you see now a days. They're all INFERIOR products compared to the original 80s cartoon. If you want to see the quality that was TMNT...you must see the 1987 syndicated and CBS series.
26 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! The original animated series!
Movie Nuttball26 September 2004
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series is one of My favorites of the 1980s animated programs. When it was on I watched it as much as I could! It has very good animation, cool characters, some humor, great music, and awesome action. The characters are really neat. All of the the Turtles are great, April is so good, Splinter is so spiritual, and Shredder is excellent. I loved how all of the characters have great personalities. In My opinion I don't think there will be a cartoon like this again because it was one of a kind! If you like the Turtles movies but never saw the series and are able to watch it on television or buy it on tapes then do so because the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon is a classic!
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Best Childhood Remembrance!
AtomicAnthony20 January 2003
I watched this almost all the time when I was a kid. Seeing the Foot Soldiers, Krang, Shredder, and everyone else was great. I can still picture it all. Too bad that it isn't airing anymore. At least videos are made, so you can enjoy the turtles all over again.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cowabunga! A memorable cartoon!
SonicStuart9 April 2004
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is very cool cartoon with the series about 4 turtles that get covered in ooze and become ninja mutants along with a guy the got turned into a rat. So now they fight crime on the streets of New York City against the evil Shredder and his two goons Rocksteady and Bebop.

Leonardo was the leader of TMNT. Donatello was the expert at machines and mechanical stuff. Raphael was the tuff one and the practical joker and Michaelangelo was the one who is the life of the party. Splinter thought them to become ninja superhero teens and also the turtles would get help from news reporter, April O'Neill. I thought James Avery did a good job at voicing the Shredder and so did Jim Cummings for the final seasons for this show. I also thought Barry Gordon did a good job at Donatello because I also liked Barry Gordon doing Razor from Swat Kats: Radical Squadron and the other voice actors were good too! I hope sooner or later they start making dvds of the complete episodes of every season this show had. I also enjoy the new series on Fox Box

BOTTOM LINE: GOOD SHOW!

User Rating: 9/10
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The gold standard by which action cartoons should be judged.
lee-19015 April 2002
Many die-hard TMNT fans will tell you that the cartoons are juvenile and overrun with corny jokes, corny plotlines, and references to pizza. They'll proclaim that the original Mirage comics are the "true" incarnation of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

They're mostly right, but the first season of the cartoon (a 5-part miniseries, originally shown in the space of one week on syndicated TV in 1987) knocks the block off the comics and off all other action cartoons ever written. It retains the dark, edgy feel of the comics, but contains enough humor to avoid seeming stern or self-absorbed.

The miniseries details the origins of the TMNT and their master, Splinter the rat--it seems Splinter was originally Hamato Yoshi, an instructor in the Foot Clan of ninjitsu in Japan, until he was double-crossed by one Oroku Saki and banished. Yoshi then fled to New York City and lived in the sewers with the rats and four pet turtles. One day, Yoshi found the turtles covered with a powerful mutagen which turned the turtles into humanoid turtles and Yoshi into a humanoid rat. Knowing that they would be considered freaks by society, Yoshi trained them in ninjitsu. Yoshi named the turtles after his favorite Renaissance painters: Leonardo, Raphael, Michaelangelo and Donatello.

While skulking through the sewers, the turtles rescue April O'Neil, a TV news reporter who has run afoul of an army of street thugs while investigating a series of break-ins committed by ninjas at high-tech scientific equipment companies. Upon meeting her saviors, April promptly faints, and the turtles take her back to their lair. When April comes to, Splinter tells her their origins. April, however, is unimpressed and thinks the turtles are responsible for all the break-ins she's been covering. The turtles persuade April to hold off on any impulse reporting and let them find the crooks for her.

The turtles and April investigate these robberies and discover that they were perpetrated by an army of robots wearing the colors of the Foot Clan, leading Splinter to conclude that Oroku Saki is the leader of the whole operation. Splinter gets captured by Saki's robots and taken away. The turtles hunt down Saki in his base--a mobile underground fortress called the Technodrome--and discover that Saki, who now calls himself the Shredder, is indeed responsible for the crimes the turtles have been investigating. Not only that, it was Saki who dropped the mutagen in the sewers, thinking it would destroy Yoshi. Shredder makes a bid for the turtles to join him, but they refuse, and then proceed to kick the butts of his henchmen.

In later episodes, it is revealed that Shredder is in league with an alien warlord named Krang from dimension X, and that Krang wants to bring his troops from dimension X to conquer Earth. The turtles manage to foil Shredder and Krang's ambitions by causing the Technodrome to suck itself into dimension X. April is able to document the turtles' battles with Shredder and Krang and convince some of the skeptics of the turtles' heroism.

So, there you have it. This is the cartoon origin of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and it's about 100 times better than the comics origin (and the movie origin, which was loosely based upon the comics).

The miniseries is available on laserdisc (extremely rare!) and on a collection of 3 VHS tapes titled "Heroes in a Half Shell," "Hot Rodding Teenages" and "The Shredder is Splintered." A somewhat condensed and edited version is available on the VHS tape "The Epic Begins," but it's worth the extra cash to buy the 3 VHS tapes and get the full, uncut miniseries.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
COWABUNGA! PIZZA TIME!
Christopher Smith18 June 2004
One of the better cartoons of the 1980s and a pop culture classic, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES is one of the more brillant series to ever air on Saturday mornings. It may not be as good as other 1980s animated actions shows such as THUNDERCATS, but it still is better than the other 1980s cartoons that dominated the airwaves thanks to the amazing voice talent and surprisingly good animation. The story lines were a tad lame at times, though nobody expects great storytelling from a show about turtles that live in a sewer and eat pizza. Still popular today, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES returned to television in a new series in 2003 that currently airs on Fox, although it is not nearly as good as the original.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A childhood favourite that still holds up today
TheLittleSongbird3 December 2010
I am still very fond of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. It was a huge favourite of mine when I was little, and re-visiting it again it is still is. yes perhaps not the truest to the comics but on its own terms it is amazing. The animation is amazingly detailed, with the colours smooth and the character designs on target. The music is wonderful, the theme tune is very memorable and the incidental music compliments perfectly, while the writing is humorous, intelligent and smart and the story lines interesting and coherent. The characters are still memorable, all four turtles are immensely likable with unique personalities, Splinter is both wise and kind and April is beautiful and not vapid. I also love Shredder, he is funny and menacing and overall just a really interesting lead villain. And the voice acting from all involved is top notch especially from Barry Gordon and James Avery. In conclusion, wonderful show. On a side note the 2003 series was decent enough, but lacked the charm and heart here in this series. 10/10 Bethany Cox
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
GREAT!
Op_Prime9 January 2000
This was a wonderfully done cartoon series. It was inventive and classy. Many stories were original and made sense as opposed to many cartoon series from that era. Animation was great. Nothing compared to today, but for that time it was something. An overall great series, catch the reruns where ever you can.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun Childhood Memories That Weren't As Great As I Remembered
kingbk-224 November 2014
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to kids in the late 80s-early 90s were among the most popular toy lines available, as well as one of the most popular cartoons both on syndication and CBS Saturday Morning. They were talking turtles with a rat leader, living in the sewers, using matrial arts to fight bad guys in New York City, eating pizza, cracking jokes, and hanging out with hottie April O'Neil. I mean, as kids, we loved it! Now revisiting this series, the cartoon that started in 1987 and wrapped up in 1996, I can see some significant flaws and how the show went from an action/comedy classic to over the top cheesy to more serious.

The show began in 1987 as a mini-series that played on syndication (mainly new FOX stations). The turtles before this were a little known cult comic book series that was VERY different from what ended up in the cartoon. In the comic, they were violent, wise cracking turtles who cussed, smoked, drank and weren't afraid to cut off heads or other body parts. It was a dark strip, similar to Batman pre and post campy era and Sin City. To make the cartoon more in line with the new toy line and appealing to children, many things were changed and liberties taken. The turtles were given colored masks to tell them apart (in the comic book they all wore red masks). Also, while still wise cracking, their personalities were toned down significantly, in particular Raphael and Michelangelo. Raphael was still "rude" but in a much nicer way and Michelangelo started talking in surfer lingo, popularized by many films in the mid 80s like Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Also, the turtles weren't nearly as violent, rarely using their weapons and instead of fighting humans like the comics, they fought robot foot soldiers and mutants from Dimension X. Pizza, Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang and the Technodrome were all additions to the cartoon series.

The cartoon did a wonderful job appealing to children and changing the attitude from the comic strip. It was funny and fun and kept viewers interested. The first season in particular did a wonderful job of keeping the action and comedy at a great balance. The turtles fought with their weapons, the animation was high quality, and the entire five episode series had an edge to it. That completely changed in the second season were the series started going downhill fast. Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, the creators of the series, were disappointed in this change. They wanted to keep the dark, edgy elements. Instead, the jokes got corny, the fighting scenes silly, the animation poor and the writing atrocious. This continued until the last two seasons, were the show tried going back in a dark direction, but it was too late by that point, as most of the fans had grown up and moved past this series.

Overall, as a kid I couldn't get enough of this show, but as an adult now I see how bad some of the episodes were and how far it strayed from its source of material. If you haven't read the highly underrated comic book series, I recommend it. It's like night and day to what they became by the early 90s. I'd honestly love an adult swim series that goes off the comic book that appeals to young adults and more mature audiences. While the new cartoon is doing great on Nick, us adults who grew up on these guys would more than welcome them back as a show that has more adult themes.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cowabunga!!
moldwarrior7 September 2011
In my youth I was looking through a pile of old VHS tapes and I saw the TMNT logo. Intrigued I put it in and I was immediately a fan. I watched every episode. Bought countless toys and even played the video games. I can't help but love the series and I still love to watch it. I have owned the first and second season for about 3 years and haven't stopped watching the cartoon.

Despite this I dislike the middle set of seasons due to the overly comedic and less than creative story. If you want to good set of episodes get seasons 1,2,3,8,9. They may not be connected but they are the best story wise.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I can remember you dudes....
tmntpika19889 December 2000
I began watching this because my two older cousins got me into it. They also used to collect TMNT trading cards and gave a couple to me. I watched it in the afternoon at 4:30pm Monday thru Friday and various times when it was on CBS Saturday Mornings for as long as I can remember.

I can remember getting home from Rainbow Accademy (where I went to school when I was 2-4 years of age), and had lunch, then 3 hours later, it was time to watch this.

I can remember Michaelangelo's number one catch phrase: "Cowabunga, Dudes"

I can remember the day for my 3rd birthday in 1991 and I saw Raphael at a Hallmark or a party-type shop and he knocked me over.

I can remember going to the shore with my uncle and aunt and two cousins, including my mother and dad and sister, on the boardwalk and seeing billions of children in Turtle clothing on.

I can remember more, but I can't tell ya.

I can remember this thing most:

Sadly it was cancelled in July 1997, after 9 seasons of being brodcasted on television, due to whatever reason, but I think it was that the show only had 8 episodes in its last three seasons. Will always be affiliated with the 80's, and will live on in VHS tapes and re-runs for a long time.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good show
I used to watch this show when I was growing up. When I remember it very well. If you ask me, it was a good show. Two things I especially remember very well are the opening sequence and theme song. In addition to that, everyone was ideally cast. Also, the writing was very strong. The performances were top-grade, too. I hope some network brings it back so I can see every episode. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I'm not sure if I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, if some network ever brings it back, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Show!
jereydevil884 April 2006
Great show I fondly look back on it and Ghostbusters as the Davey Crockett's of the eighties babies generation. My favorite character was Leonardo mostly due to him being blue (my favorite color at the time) and our names both begin with "L".

The new TMNT2003 show doesn't do it justice, Also its neat to see the toys go for thousands on eBay. It got me wishing that as a kid I hadn't melted my Shredder and April in the microwave.

For anyone who wants a trip down memory lane you should get the first season of this show and the old SNES or Arcade game to play.

Sometime ago I found all three of the movies bundled for $7 at Sam's club which I recently found time to watch (excellent flicks for those interested).

Be sure to watch the first episode the turtles or you may never really understand how bad the back-story is leading up to the series.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
TMNT Obviously rocks.
Shwiffstarr21 January 2008
Omgees. I love this show. I remember watching it on Video at like 5:30am on Christmas Morning. Raphael my favourite.

The 2003 series was good, but obviously nothing compares. I think the new theme tune by NOFX was pretty good as well, but, again, nothing compares to the cheesy original.

The movie was pretty poor. The animation wasn't good enough. They should have stuck with cartoon if they weren't gonna spend enough on the computer animation. And the theme for it ... pfft.

=D I <3 Turtles!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Heroes in a half-shell, TURTLE POWER!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An excellent cartoon that isn't just for kids!
noobsaibot75714 January 2008
First off, I think just about everybody has heard of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, though today's youngsters are probably more familiar with the new cartoon series that airs on Fox Saturday mornings. I didn't get the classic feel from the new series that I get when I watch this classic series.

This is the ninja turtles people in the late 8o's and early 90's grew up with. This is such a great cartoon because it's not just for kids. There are many quirks and gags that only adults will understand and the humor doesn't get too cheesy or corny for grown-ups nor too suggestive for young kids.

The story lines are excellent. Of course, our favorite fun-loving, pizza eating turtle quartet are the protagonists of the show. Leonardo leads the pack and is the most serious and devoted to his friends of the group. Donatello is the brains of bunch, he invents many of the gadgets and vehicles the turtles use throuought the series, the most notable of which being the famous Turtle Blimp. Michealangelo is the party animal who never takes anything seriously, and Raphael is the quick-witted and sharp tounged sarcistic turtle. Their wise master Splinter the half-human, half-rat and fearless reporter April O'Niel often accompany the turtles on their (mis)adventures.

For me, the villains are the most memorable characters of the show and can be just as lovable as the heroes. The Shredder is the powerful main villain who constantly hatches schemes for global domination. In contrat to the Shredder from the new series, this Shredder is often bumbling and humorous and has so much fun trying to take over the world that I always want to come back and watch him try again.

His knuckle headed mutants Rocksteady the rhino and Beebop the warthog are probably the two most lovable villains I've ever seen in a movie because they are so stupid and silly and have so much trying to help Shredder in his quest for global domination, even though they don't realize that they are worthless.

There is too much good in this show to talk about in just one comment. You can find DVD collections of 13-15 easily at a K-Mart or Best Buy for about $10.00 and every cent is worth it.
Cowabunga! Turtle Power!
Atreyu_II15 August 2007
I loved this show when I was a child! I was such a fan of it back then that I wouldn't miss one episode of it. Plus, I collected stuff from it. For example, as a kid I once bought a mug with the famous hero turtles. And there was one year when I disguised myself as one of the turtles in Carnival. Not to mention that not only I watched this in my house, but also in the house of a neighbor and friend of mine at the time.

This animated TV show brings me very good memories from childhood. Ah, the good old days...

The opening song is spectacular, absolutely unforgettable - as well as its instrumental version which plays during the final credits of each episode.

'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' had most ingredients necessary to capture the attention of most kids of my generation, for it was thrilling, entertaining, packed with action, adventure, darkness, classic humor and... pizza! The turtles are the heroes, they are the ones with the power to save the world from the evil Shredder's schemes and the bizarre Krang. Shredder has two helpers, Bebop and Rocksteady (hilarious names!). But they aren't really evil. They're more stupid and incompetent than evil, so they aren't a major threat for the turtles and the world.

A curious thing is that Shredder has always half of his face covered with an iron mask. I only saw him once without it and my opinion was that he was very Japanese-looking.

Although the turtles (Michelangelo, Raphael, Donatello and Leonardo) are very efficient and intelligent, sometimes they see themselves in sticky situations with the villain Shredder. But they always can count with the help of Master Splinter and reporter April O'Neil.

Cowabunga!
Favorite growing up
mmpenrod28 April 2007
These Turtles were my heores growing up. Fou such polar opposite characters come together to get a job done.

LEONARDO- The leader, the one in charge DONATELLO- The least violent scientist RAPHAEL- The sarcastic"Mouthy" one (MY personal favorite:)) MICHAELANGELO- The "Party dude" the lade back one The teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles seem like a pretty far fetched idea but pretty much formed the era. My sister and I grew up loving the Turtles When I'm old and grey and sitting in my rocker with my grandkids around me they'll ask "Grandme what did you watch when you were young?" and I'll smile and say "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles of course!"If anyone ever has the chance to see the show they should because it CLEARLY can stand the test of time!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still one of the greatest cartoon shows ever
dee.reid20 January 2007
I don't care that the original 1987 "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" cartoon was toned down drastically from the Mirage comics first published in 1984 by co-creators Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird. As a die-hard Turtle-fan I grew up while Turtlemania was at its peak, so this cartoon was obviously a must. Sure, it's a wanton commercialization of a once-novel idea, the grit and violence now slapstick rather than graphic. The show basically follows the adventures of our four reptilian mutant heroes (Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, Michaelangelo, and their sensei Splinter) as they continue a never-ending battle with the Shredder and his Foot Clan, and finding allies/foes with aliens, travelers from Dimension X, and even other mutants. Mixing old characters (April O'Neill and Casey Jones, for example) with new and original ones (Krang, Bebop and Rocksteady), "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" succeeds in just being fun entertainment, and is still one of the greatest pieces of animation made within the last 25 years. The new animated movie certainly looks promising in returning the characters to their roots in the real nitty-gritty, even though I'm not too hot on CGI turtles.

3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A piece of my childhood that I can still enjoy... and that's a rarity
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews2 August 2006
I remember watching this as often as I could when I was younger. When I was 11-12 years old I would get up early enough in the morning to watch it before I left for school... but I was interested in the show from as far back as I can remember. I collected the action figures(not dolls, no; boys play with action figures... girls play with dolls) from a young age, as well as comics, and I even own two VHS tapes with two episodes each(unfortunately, these were dubbed, as most filmed entertainment geared towards kids are, in Denmark). I write this review right after having watched all four episodes in immediate succession for the first time in more years than I can say for sure. Possibly as much as a full decade. All the fun of them came right back to me even as I thought of them. Sure, the show had its flaws... there are glaring continuity errors aplenty, the dialog(packed with more or less lucky one-liners) and plot lines are often somewhat daft... but when you look at the plus side(as well as keep in mind that this is still a children's show), it's just no contest. The pacing is excellent. Having just watched an hour and a half of it, straight, I can say that I wasn't bored at all, in spite of remembering most of what would happen. The action is exciting, intense and downright cool. And the theme music(which I found myself humming in anticipation before the tape was in the VCR)... I doubt there is or will be anyone, whether kid or adult(who is at least a little in touch with their inner child), especially male, who don't like it. The plots are often simplistic, but as far as I remember, never (too) obvious and usually entertaining as well as gripping. It mostly manages to dodge the Batman-esquire/James Bond-ian cliché of having Donatello produce some gadget from his belt to solve their problems. The humor is silly and somewhat childish, but it fits its audience quite well(and I can't claim that I didn't laugh several times throughout watching the four episodes). The whole level of writing basically does, really. The fights are well-choreographed and fairly frequent. All in all, a pretty solid show, that provides many hours of check-your-brains-at-the-door entertainment. I recommend it to any fan of the four green humanoid heroes, and anyone aspiring to become such a fan. Turtle Power! 8/10
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The earlier adventures of the Ninja Turtles.
emasterslake18 July 2006
This is known to be the "Heros in the Half Shell" 5 parter from 1987.

It's also season 1 of the long ran TV series. Due to the fact that it has the fewest episodes in any season.

I bet there are hardly any series that start with a season with 5 episodes.

But anyways these were made to introduce the TMNT to the kids who are watching it on TV.

I didn't see these episodes till around 2003 because I was too young to remember any at first.

Anyways these first 5 episodes show you how the Turtles first met April and how they encountered Shredder and his Foot Clan. In my opion episode 4 is the best one next to episode 1 and 2.