Rogue Trader (1999) Poster

(1999)

6 bid on just 10 lots.
Oro-Indiano19 April 2000
Any film dealing with a largely technical business such as the derivatives industry is going to be caught between a rock and a hard place before it even gets going; on the one hand, if the film-makers spend too much time explaining the complexities of the market, they will bore those in the know and probably send everyone else to sleep too, whereas if they don't indicate what's going on then they risk limiting their audience to only those with direct experience of trading. There can be no drama if the majority of viewers don't actually realise what's happening.

"Rogue Trader" then, for it's many flaws, is at least partially successful, because it makes clear the central principles of what Leeson was doing - making a double bet on the market going only in one direction. Having worked on London's futures exchange, I can't really be objective. I laughed out loud many times at the actors' and extras' bad hand-signals, the unrealistic dialogue in relation to price and size etc. "Real" market-speak often takes for granted that both parties understand alot more than needs to be said, thus leaves alot out. But of course that makes for bad cinema, so one can't grumble too much.

The cast is generally pretty good, McGregor acting his socks off as always. The main problem is that the script and direction are, from the get-go, just totally OBVIOUS. By this I mean that no visual or audio cliché is left unused. For example, every Barings office in London seems to have a plum view of St. Paul's Cathedral, just in case we forget where they are. And if these scenes can be accompanied by some chamber music, to remind us of the history and upperclass pedigree, then they will be. The reckless young traders, by contrast, are followed around by a largely anachronistic soundtrack of dance music and Britpop. When Leeson arrives in Asia for the first time, we hear Kula Shaker! Please! Perhaps a different, less conventional style of direction might have improved matters...

It's interesting that many people have commented along the lines of "Leeson only does what I'd do in that situation, trying to make things better". Since it's based on his book, the film unsurprisingly tries to make Leeson look... well, if not good, exactly, then at least not like a total idiot. I can't sympathize entirely, because "NEVER double up" and "a small loser is better than a blow out" are amongst the first things you learn down there. But even if only one tenth of all this is true, it's still truly stunning that Barings London didn't know what was going on, and accepted his story unchecked for so long... If they were that incompetent, they deserved to go bust.

Ultimately, "Rogue Trader" is neither a great movie nor a terrible one. As far as finance-films go, it rises majestically above the plain awfulness of "Dealers" or "Limit Up", but is still less informative than what is still the best market movie, "Trading Places". But who knows, maybe "I have just lost 50 million quid!" will enter traders' vocabulary in a few years, just as "Turn those machines back on!" already has. As a film, it's an entertaining diversion, and an interesting footnote to the headlines.

(6/10)
35 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pulling non-existent rabbits out of imaginary hats
mystarry27 July 2005
A cunning scoundrel in exotic Singapore single-handedly brings down Barings Bank, established two centuries ago and one of England's foremost financial institutions. Another wildly improbable sting flick? Not at all - the story is based on actual events and the film sticks pretty close to the facts. Nick Leeson, brilliant and ambitious young trader, superstar of the Singapore stock market, incurs staggering losses. Unwilling to jeopardize his prospects for advancement, he tries to cover his tracks by pulling non-existent rabbits out of imaginary hats. The literally gut-wrenching stress of this Sisyphusian endeavor is illustrated by Leeson's frequent bouts of vomiting (while in prison, he underwent surgery to remove a tumor along with part of his colon and large intestine, and chemotherapy after being released). The film's flaw is that it glosses over the bank's role in the disaster. Barings turned a neophyte loose in an foreign arena with total control of the operation and minimal supervision. Putting the same individual in charge of both the front office and back office bypasses the appropriate checks and balances, and is tantamount to having the fox guard the hen-house. The official report of the Bank of England concluded that Barings' failure to segregate Leeson's duties was "reprehensible," and those with "direct executive responsibility for establishing effective controls must bear much of the blame." Yet little mention is made of this in the film. And the mechanizations of the stock market are downright incomprehensible at times. Nevertheless, this is an interesting story and Ewan McGregor turns in another outstanding performance.
19 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You think your job is stressful?
frenchie-1630 June 1999
When I saw the ratings and the comments listed for this movie, I wasn't sure that this was the movie I saw last night! If you're looking for a history lesson on the fall of Synex, read a book. If you're looking for an edge of your seat thriller, with no violence at all, and hilarious breaks in the tension, this is your flic. First, Ewan McGregor is becoming one of my top actors. His portrayal of a cool-as-a-cucumber trader, even under incredible stress is delightful. You can't help but be nervous as Nick Leeson dodges bosses, controllers, and his wife. The level of the stress is clearly portrayed, and his fantasy scenes are great. The other actors are shallow, but hilarious. Enjoy this flic. I did.
14 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Enjoyable
jamesedunne18 December 2003
I very much enjoyed this film for two main reasons. Firstly, it closely resembles the book written by Nick Leeson, and secondly it does take slow steps to try and guide the viewer through the complex world of options & futures.

The film did leave a realistic impression of what the high-life is for some of these traders especially those from England to which Singapore must have felt like another world. The soundtrack, although quite varying at times, also helps create the buzz of Singapore & Asia in the early 90's.

There have been a lot of vocal critics of the film with comments such as boring and lack of dramatic material, but I often prefer films that stay strictly to the subject material and don't get too carried away for dramatic effect.

The performance which I actually thought was best was that of Lee Ross who played Nick's friend Danny. Although quite different from the character in the book (Danny actually doesn't drink and is Greek not English), Lee's performance was well-rounded and very enjoyable as the loyal and dependable friend of Nick. That scene in the bar during the famous "mooning" incident was hilarious.

If you look closely during the film you will actually see the real Danny Argyropoulos & "Ches" Lemming of which the latter actually worked alongside Nick on the Simex trading floor.

Ewan McGregor was great as usual and I often find it strange to see the real Nick Leeson in a photo, as I'd became so accustomed to seeing Ewan as Nick. The very attractive Anna Friel didn't have much material to work with, but did manage to pull off the role of Lisa Sims.

Although I've read much criticism of Nick Leeson, I still have seen or heard nothing to make me doubt the overall story as told by Nick. He could have put a very big boot into Barings when writing his book and would have been perfectly justified in doing so, but his main criticism was of their management practices and not whether he was in fact a "Fall Guy" for Barings.

When reading the criticism of Nick, I've tried to put myself in his position and try to imagine how things were for him. Imagine you've been offered a fantastic job in the vibrant early 1990's market of Singapore, you've just been married, and your earning a fantastic salary. Surround yourself with many others like yourself, and you can imagine how things can get carried away with young guys in their mid-20's who must have thought of themselves as invincible.

In the end I did end up feeling quite sorry for Nick. I'm sure if I'd lost money from investments in Barings, my sympathy wouldn't be as strong! But going from the high life in Singapore to being alone for 4 years in a jail cell is quite a shock to anyone and especially with the added pressure of developing cancer and ultimately the breakdown of your marriage. Having to part with your wife in that German police station must have been very hard.

Lisa sums up the subject material late in the film when she said to Nick; "You were gambling, with other people's money", and if that is the case, then Nick is guilty as sin. But, according to the story, it all started from trying to fix the errors of others and so on. He did get himself back to profit at one point, but with most gamblers, especially after winning back lost money, it's hard to resist that one last punt.

Chin up Nick!

4 out of 5 stars
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
amateur in a big bad world .......
welshNick11 February 2006
I spent twenty years working in the City of London and was actually working for Barings at time of the scandal. Naturally it shook the city, I will always remember the Monday morning, cutting through the press corps outside the building asking such idiot questions like 'Have you heard the news about Barings ?' But back to the film, it tells the story of Nick Leeson the man who broke Barings. He tells of all the problems he suffered with untrained staff, mistakes, and how he tried to cover for his staff. Nothing was ever his fault. This part of the film was pure fiction, mistakes always get made and the mistake Kim made at the start would not necessarily have resulted in her firing. Nick himself remains blameless in the film when what he should have been doing was telling his boss to hire some decent people. The fault with the Barings scandal of course lies with the management. They believed it because they wanted to. No dealer can make 20 million in a week unless he is gambling in excess of 2 billion or committing a fraud. A good film for those uninitiated in the way the financial world works but not totally accurate. I hear Nick Leeson is working for a football club in Ireland now. I harbour no grudges for the fact I didn't get my entire bonus that year or the fact ING made me redundant when they took Barings over !!!
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pleasantly surprised
Circe-921 January 2000
I knew almost nothing about the Barings Bank collapse and absolutely nothing about futures trading before seeing this movie. Still, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Yes, it is told from Nick Leeson's point of view, so it should probably be taken with a huge grain of salt, but it was still quite enjoyable and interesting. One of Ewan McGregor's strengths as an actor is his ability to make the audience root for his somewhat shady characters. He was wonderful in this movie. Of course, I still don't know a thing about futures trading.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very exciting, heart pounding and interesting
Buddy-4313 July 1999
Apart from being an extremely informative account of Nick Leeson's escapades at Baring's Bank, this film manages to integrate a great deal of suspense and drama into what could have been a dull, documentary-style catalogue of events. Ewan McGregor perfectly captures the bullish arrogance of the rogue trader who we still are able to like and admire. Some of the most energetic scenes take place in the big trading room where we see the split-second buying and selling which makes fantastic drama that really gets the adrenalin flowing. A huge amount of imagination is shown in the directing department, especially when Leeson begins to realize where he is heading. Definitely worth seeing!
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Acting, not budget
lhunt4 December 1999
We were impressed at the quality of acting in this relatively low budget film. Rather than special effects and technical events, this movie very successfully brings you into Nick Leeson's world. It is certainly not an apology for Mr. Leeson, Ewan McGregor very effectively and subtly captures the drivenness that envelopes Mr. Leeson and, of course, undoes him and the bank. This movie brought us into a world that we knew little of, and helped us understand it from the inside out.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it
Boyo-230 June 1999
I disagree with the other reviews here. I enjoyed the movie very much and I don't even know a bond from a stock from a box of crackers, nor did the know the story of this man and what transpired. But the movie explains a lot as its going along, and by the end, I was interested to know exactly how much he was going to get away with. Ewan is terrific as always.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a fix gov!
ajpage6 July 1999
The film isn't bad, and if you at all interested in the case but know nothing about city trading then see it, if you do (unlike me) i'm sure you will be able to pick holes in it. The one thing that you are left at the end, is the injustice for all the blame to land on his shoulders, he was daft, but there were others. The sets are very good, dodgy boom mike holding, and very dodgy lines from Anna Friel, but she goes topless and so can be forgiven!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting story!
alserve19 February 2000
I found Rogue Trader to be a highly entertaining point of view regarding the Barings bank disaster of the mid 90's, from Nick Leeson himself. I once said, "I'm not crazy to see movies that I know the ending". However, I had to start eating my words after TITANIC. Now, I can add this to the list. Barings was the financial equivalent of the "unsinkable ship" and just like TITANIC, I was on the edge of my seat when the unthinkable was finally realized. A must see, minus heroes.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I thought it would be
goreilly401 November 2015
Considering what the movie is based on, I was expecting this movie to be a dull movie set in offices and banks, I'm pleased to say I was pleasantly surprised. Ewan McGregor turns in another good performance as the infamous and beleaguered Nick Leeson the trader whose underhanded trading tactics, dishonesty, desperation and plain greed brought down Barings Bank. The movie is also an insight into the fast paced world of stocks and shares trading,and showing it for what it is, glamorized gambling, not much different than a casino when your luck can change in the blink of an eye. The soundtrack adds an ominous feel to the action as Leeson's lies and deceit ultimately end up catching up with him, with devastating consequences for those who trusted him. In summary this movie is well worth a watch and should serve as a warning to live within your means and any risks you take with finance should be calculated.
McGregor Bares All
dglink13 October 2015
Young English investment broker, Nick Leeson, distinguishes himself in his bank's Jakarta office and his reward is an assignment in Singapore, where he unwisely manages both the trading floor and the office operations. His first year is a big success with huge profits, despite some some questionable practices to retain an important client. However, he also establishes an 88888 account, which makes his employer, Baring Bank, into a customer, and he crosses the line again with forged documents to verify a large non-existent transaction. Based on a true story, "Rogue Trader" may confuse those whose vocabulary does not include puts and calls, options and futures, commodities and derivatives. Written and directed by James Deardon from Leeson's autobiography, the film uses extensive voice-over to share Leeson's thoughts and feelings as his illegal activities spiral out of control. Even Leeson seems stupefied and astounded at the magnitude of the damage he has wrought.

Ewan McGregor does well as Leeson, and, for those McGregor fans who want all the Ewan they can get, Deardon offers extended shots of the actor in shorts, bathing suits, completely nude, and bare-assed. Anna Fiel plays Leeson's wife, Lisa; she is passable in an undemanding role and exposes less flesh to the camera than her co-star. Drinking binges, euphoric highs, and emotional lows provide McGregor with a showcase for his talent; if only the film were worthy of him. "Rogue Trader" is not a bad film, but confusing at times, and narration is a lazy device. Filmed in Singapore where the story took place, the movie is a cut above TV fare, but only a small cut. Without McGregor the film would be less worthy of watching; with him, "Rogue Trader" is a passable take on a famous crime.
I enjoyed this
thedarkside-7954115 August 2015
I really enjoyed this movie. I liked it as much as The wolf of Wall Street. My guess is it did not get the same publicity and hype that The wolf of wall street did. It kept my interest the whole way through. I'm not sure why it rates so low. Maybe it was because it was ahead of its time, people were just not ready for this because we did not have a financial crash in the USA until after this movie. After watching this it makes you wonder how this kind of thing happened. My guess is this inspired many people in the USA to do the same thing here and cause a major financial crisis here as well. But definitely Worth watching. I do not believe that Rouge Trader deserved such a low rating. I will watch again in the future.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the one about the investment broker doing it with smoke and mirrors
blanche-222 November 2013
Rogue Trader is a 1999 film that tells the story of Nick Leeson who managed to bankrupt Barings Bank.

All you have to do is hear the words "investment banker," "stock broker," or "bonds trader," and you know what the movie is about. Supposedly, as with Bernie Madoff, the main character didn't start out to cheat Barings Bank. When the market was going up, Leeson was very successful, but he started breaking rules early on. When the markets started to crash, his losses became bigger and bigger and bigger until his house of fake trades began to crumble.

Totally predictable, but nevertheless, suspenseful, well acted, and involving. Ewan McGregor is excellent - young, attractive, and happily married, one could really feel the horrible pressure he was under keeping up a brave front, though he could have saved himself a lot of trouble if he had spoken up at the beginning.

The moral of this story is, the more money that comes in, the greedier everyone gets - the investors, the banks, the brokers, everyone. No one asks any questions as long as you're making money. By the time they start asking questions, it's too late. Everyone is culpable. Enron had no products and a bunch of dummy corporations, and the banks were loaning them millions upon millions of dollars. Try getting a loan from a bank some time. And they wonder why they had to be baled out.

Anna Friel does a good job as his wife. That was another sad thing in the film -- she wasn't a woman who cared about the money. She didn't even want to live in Singapore. She just loved him and wanted to be with him.

I really can't follow the technical aspects of these finance stories, but still, this was good.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion
OzK14 July 1999
I'll get a lot of argument on this, I suspect, but I tend to think that all history, biography and autobiography is in fact a kind of fiction. I also think that for all intents and purposes, it's not necessary to worry too much about how 'true' or 'accurate' this film is in regards to telling the 'real' story of the Baring's Bank collapse. Because at the end of the day, we'll never know. For every person involved or affected by that event there's another version of the truth, and finding the 'true' truth is just about impossible. So to hell with it! Let's just look at 'Rogue Trader' as a story, shall we?

I can't honestly say that I enjoyed this film, mainly because I found it so exquisitely awful that I was scrunching my eyes shut and moaning more and more loudly as events unfolded. As depicted here, Nick Leeson wasn't exactly a criminal, he was just criminally stupid ... and naive ... and pathetic ... and -- and -- well, I found myself screaming at the tv set "No, you fool, don't, stop now, stop now, quit while you're ahead --- arrrrggghhh!!!"

It is almost impossible to believe, that one person could collapse an entire bank. And of course, it is impossible. Nick Lesson didn't bring down Baring's on his own, he had a lot of help from people who both wittingly and unwittingly conspired to support his insane behaviour. Regardless of whose truth you're telling, that point is pretty safe to make, I think. And I think this film does a good job of demonstrating that. I also think it does a good job of capturing the insanity of Futures Trading (surely a hideously evil invention) and of showing how Gordon Gekko got it really, really wrong.

At the end of the day, however, the film stands or falls by Ewan McGregor's performace as Nick Leeson ... and again, he doesn't disappoint. Again, we are treated to a portrayal of a deeply human, deeply flawed individual, as only McGregor can reveal. His Leeson is a man who makes mistake after mistake, who is far smaller than he wants to be, who isn't without conscience or moral compass but whose many fears outweigh his few strengths. He's the very embodiment of the 'fatal flaw' theory, brought to ruin by his weaknesses and failings.

I find it frighteningly easy to identify with McGregor's Leeson. What he did, many of us have been tempted to do, or have done, in various small ways. Or maybe not so small. Some people find him profoundly offensive, others find him pathetic. Whatever your reaction to this film, the fact that you even have one shows that it's worked. It's made you feel something about what happened ... or at least, this version of what happened. Perhaps some of us resent being made to feel any kind of empathy for this character. By making him human, his actions are humanised, made comprehensible ... and that's uncomfortable.

It's far more comfortable keeping him demonised, reprehensible, beyond understanding or forgiveness, for in that way we keep ourselves safe. We are not like him. There is nothing that we share. He is ... other.

The problem is, he isn't. That's where Rogue Trader succeeds, I think. In showing us that the Nick Leesons of this world aren't monsters at all ... they're people, like us, who make mistakes, like we do. By challenging us ... you say you would never ever do something like this, but can you be sure? Really? Truly? This isn't a lighthearted film, a fun film. It's a fascinating character study and a timely reminder of that saying that goes something like ..
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Greed, Arrogance, and Very Bad Jackets
AZINDN11 September 2005
Unlike compelling stories of high finance and crime in films like the Thomas Crown Affair and Rollover, Rogue Trader purports to be the true story of Nick Leeson, a stock trader whose speculation brought down Barings, England's oldest bank. McGregor portrays Leeson as a charmer white collar criminal who ended up sentenced to six years in a Chinese prison for insider trading and fraud. Diagnosed with cancer, Leeson wrote his memoirs and low and behold it became a film.

Always a solid performer, Ewan McGregor plays the self-absorbed, arrogant Leeson with his usual competence and energy. Anna Friel is his in the dark wife who yearns to be pregnant but can't interest her husband away from the trading floor. This is story of greed, larceny, and speculation on a grand scale. The film was never released in theaters but went straight to Showtime and has now been released for home sale. Skip it and rent it. Good acting, good story, but not a very compelling item for collectors of McGregor's work.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rogue winner
seblee10 February 1999
An interesting foresight into the background to the Barings Bank collapse. The relationship between Leeson and his wife is also explored. Great pre-Star Wars role for Ewan McGregor, and Anna Friel more than holds her own. For those interested in the saga, it is a must-see.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wide Boy's curve that went too far and out of control.
Cinema_Fan31 August 2006
Coincidently part produced by Newmarket Capital Group LLC, USA and part Distributed by Capitol Films, France, amongst others; the flavour of the day is most certainly capital. While the show business entrepreneur and capitalist Sir David Frost, and executive producer to the movie Rogue Trader, was travelling back from Singapore, after interviewing Nick Leeson, while still in prison, he came up with an idea of capitalising on the theory of making a movie on the life of said prisoner.

The result, taken from the self-penned autobiography of Nick Leeson, how true and unbiased this is is only known by Leeson and his close associates. In what at first seems to be a straight to video / television movie, is somewhat different, this gritty, basic and though lacking in the big budget league, is very down to earth, this fine little movie works well.

Played by, then in his mid to late twenties, Ewan McGregor and only three years after his break through movie Trainspotting (1996), and shortly after Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999) too, he, according to the journals of Leeson, is playing the eager and willing recipient of a chance of a life time. This tiny little mouse has been sent to Singapore, to correct and finalise the financial dealings, for Barings Bank, in the Asian sector, and while the cats are away, the mice will play.

The narrative, both visual and verbally chronicled, is of an optimistic and fruitful future, for both employer and employee, with McGregor playing the wide-eyed financial barrow boy cum playboy, who, rightly so, just wants to progress to the top of his career. Unfortunately, complacency is the victor here, the anticipation of failure is slowly built up, but not in a tedious fashion either, Leeson is seen here as the Mr. Nice Guy, but nice does not work in the world of cutthroat finance trading. The narrative, in a flick of a wrist, the turn of a deal, becomes pessimistic, daunting and high-octane adrenaline.

Sliding along with a soundtrack that gently pushes and squeezes the unforeseen catastrophe is the likes of Andy Williams "Can't Take My Eyes off You", Blurs "Song 2", Leftfields "Strom 3000" and with what appears to be Rogue Traders signature tune "Money (That's What I Want)" performed by Barrett Strong.

With its coarse language and respectable soundtrack Rogue Trader, a.k.a. the story of Nick Leeson and his down fall, is an education, or propaganda considering ones view point, of how the money market, and its individual stalls, deal with greed, ignorance and failure.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Must-Watch for Future Traders, Bankers, and Auditors
aixinz3 February 2014
I worked as an auditor at Big4 for several years, and my fiancée is a former investment banker and PE investor. We both found this movie to be very true and realistic when describing the stress and intensity that people face when working on Wall Street. We related to him and felt him pain!

Not that what he did was right, but the movie did an excellent job presenting the Wall Street stress and reality which most of the Wall Street movies fail to do. What am I talking about? The extremely high expectations: you are never good enough, you can never stop, and there is always more profit to be generated. The way that he was treated: no matter how well you do, your direct boss will give you more pressure because your performance is related to their bonus, although they haven't contributed a thing in the process besides telling you to come in to work on Sunday during a funeral weekend.

Anyway, if you are interested in a career on Wall Street or Big 4, please watch this movie, so you will know what you are getting yourself into!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Living a Lie
Goingbegging28 February 2013
The Barings crash is a legendary crime-story, whose ending everyone knows before the action starts.

We enjoy it for the reassuring interplay of cliché human types - the posh dupes in the oak-panelled boardroom, the barrow-boy trader with the fancy footwork, the computer-brained Chinese dynamically driving the Eastern markets.

The film is punctuated by certain key quotations, especially those that reveal that Leeson was NOT a brilliant banker. (His forecasts were ludicrously wrong.) He was just a brilliant liar, faking the records, piling bluff on bluff, and fending-off every worried caller with slimy excuses, sometimes literally pretending he'd lost signal.

"Keep doubling-up, and you're bound to win eventually." But of course.

"I never made any profit for myself." Er... give or take a few six-figure bonuses based on imaginary earnings.

"I was going to go for broke." Not exactly what a branch manager gets paid for.

And of course, that legendary sound-bite from the scion of the Baring dynasty: "It is not actually very difficult to make money in the derivatives market." The crimes of the counting-house do not offer a director much in the way of scenic backdrops, so James Dearden leans rather heavily on the aggressive mime-show of the young traders in their colourful uniform jackets. That and some regular cutting to the grand hotels and restaurants where lucky gamblers take their leisure. But he handles the rhythm well. We can feel the crescendo in the second half, the quickening drumbeats of doom.

Ewan McGregor, as Leeson, looks the laddish sort who might be tempted into petty crime. But he does not look rotten to the core, as the part demands. Still he does express the dual personality of Leeson, caught between the extremes of pride and self-doubt.

On the female side, his wife (Anna Friel) seems docile and submissive to the point of blankness. A couple of powerful women managers look as though they're about to make waves, but they don't quite get round to it. Leeson is robustly defended by his boss, played with conviction by Nigel Lindsay, a banker himself before he took up acting. And there are notably good performances by all manner of young unknowns crowding on to the trading-floors and into the humid bars and dance-halls.

All based on Leeson's own memoirs of the same title, so believe what you like.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When Bearings Bankers Are the Little Red Ridding Hood
claudio_carvalho7 October 2003
This movie is the true story of Nick Leeson (the fantastic Ewan McGregor), the employee who broke the oldest bank in England, the Bearings Bank. Nick is an ambitious young man, son of a simple man who works with plaster, transferred to Singapore to operate in future market of derivatives. He was considered the best employee of Bearing Banks, but indeed he was gambling with high amounts of the bank and hiding the losses under a secret account number 88888. There are at least three points to highlight in this movie. The first one is the great performance of Ewan McGregor. Everybody knows he is an excellent actor and once again he does not disappoint the viewer. Second is about the screenplay, based on a book written by Nick Leeson: is it possible to believe that the oldest bank in England was managed by a board of directors that look like the Little Red Ridding Hood (instead of the bad wolf)? Everywhere in the world, persons very aware of cash flow administrate banks. How could one unique employee keep the real situation hidden from the Bearings Senior Management? I believe it would be almost impossible, therefore it seems that some kind of arrangement may be made having Nick as the scapegoat of the whole situation (or high profits were expected in those dirty operations) with the participation of other important persons in the bank. Anyway, if this film shows the truth, it is amazing how this bank had survived for such a long time. Last but not the least, is it possible to believe that a smart guy like Nick Leeson 'has not reserved' some money for his early retirement? It is hard to believe! The great love of Lisa for Nick is also very easily forgot in the end of the story. However, it is a good movie and a worthwhile entertainment. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "A Fraude" ("The Fraud")
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go on, just wait for a tedious sequel!
redkiwi14 July 1999
Having actually looked into the whole Barings situation as a Finance student at the time, I definitely went into this film with pre-concieved notions and ideas.

I'd come out thinking nothing different really, as this was obviously a Nick Leeson ego boost as opposed to a film, which anyone should really have spotted by the fact that he wrote the screenplay!

The film-makers glossed over the parts that made Leeson look bad, and only boosted his Rogue image, as if we were supposed to take pity on him in a way that he was a victim of the whole thing.

Again this could only have reasonably been expected, but to be quite so blase and open about it was still a surprise.

That's not to say this didn't have redeeming factors - Ewan McGregor was very good as Leeson and eminently convincable, as was Anna Friel as his wife Lisa.

Coming out of the cinema, the initial thought is that there's already enough material for a sequel. Which I won't be seeing.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Everything you expected
danielepps-1112414 November 2017
Rogue Trader I thought was done well from the perspective that it told the story, it highlighted the important events that occurred, and it explained financial terms to viewers who do not have a financial background. As a student of finance and economics, I thought the film to be informative, not overly flamboyant (like Wolf of Wall Street), and therefore entertaining.

I would recommend this movie to anyone interested in trading or the financial markets, as a story of the ramifications of one's actions.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.