Starcom: The U.S. Space Force (TV Series 1987) Poster

Interesting and engaging kiddie-sci-fi (NASA sponsored?)
ian19_2k2 February 2002
StarCom as a series was very enthralling to me, at first as a child and on through to my teenage years. It was the first TV series I had ever seen that seemed to accept some sort of science fact into the sci-fi equation. (Naturally, as you may have guessed, Trek is my cup of tea now!)

The characters were easily likeable, the storylines underpinned in real life science (ie. accurate depiction of the gas layers of Jupiter, the temperatures of moons such as Io when in direct sunlight, and so on.)One thing it did really smell of was promotion. If NASA wanted to get kids interested in space sciences, this was the way to do it! Can anyone confirm that??

It also presented a quite possible format of future space exploration: A space station built into one of the asteroids in the rings orbiting Saturn and so on. Great Saturday morning stuff.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cool show, great toys.
DragonMasterHiro2 July 2003
I remember the toys a little bit more than the show, I had a whole bunch of them. It was around the time of the 'transforming machine' cartoon era after shows like Voltron, and of course Transformers. StarCom took place in a space environment with cool ships and space stations. The figures had magnets on their feet, and the ships had swing open hatches and cargo bays that would slide open just like it would in the show!

A great memorable 80's cartoon. I don't recall much of the plot except they were fighting with the guys in the dark brown suits. Still I remember it being a fun show from my childhood, and fueling my love for sci-fi.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Ulysses 31" it ain't!
khaosjr17 November 2005
DIC previously crafted the groundbreaking science fiction miniseries "Ulysses 31" (a French-Japanese co-production).

For "StarCom," they had nearly impeccable subject matter: a toy-line with fantastic vehicles and weapons, plus myriad characters with detailed biographies.

This was coupled with the presence of such old-school sci-fi novelists as Arthur Byron Cover (he wrote the novelization of 1980's "Flash Gordon") and Steve Perry (not to be confused with Journey's lead singer).

The result should have been a far better TV show.

Tragically, as with "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers," the producers spend too much effort watering the material down for kids...and too little effort maintaining the appeal for parents and elder siblings, who grew up with the whole "space opera" genre.

For instance, why does StarCom even need "G.E.N.I.E."--an obvious comedy relief--with Colonels (one more time: that's COLONELS) who act as ridiculous as Crowbar, Dash and Slim? It certainly doesn't help that most of the other characters are such outlandish (no pun intended) stereotypes that they aren't very interesting: the villains are stupid, treacherous bullies; the heroes are lecture-happy wisecrack-artists. In short, the series gives us absolutely no one to root for; did any of our kids notice this, back in the 1980's? Personally, when I first discovered this show, I kept praying for Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (of "Full Metal Jacket" fame) to step in and take charge of StarCom...and show 'em what REAL soldiering is all about.

On the other hand...it WOULD have been nice to see Coleco produce toy-versions of the Ring Station, the ShadowStar and the Shuttle Dock. It also would have been neat to see action figures of Admiral Franklin Brickley, Kelsey Carver, David Hartford, Douglas Kadrey, Jonathan "Flash" Maskowitz, Tim Murphy, Malvanna Wilde, etcetera.

Basically, you gotta be in just the right mood for "StarCom."
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this