The Iron Giant (1999)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 23 items
|MPAA||Rated PG for fantasy action violence, language, some thematic material and smoking|
Sex & Nudity
- Some innocuous flirtation among a couple of adults.
- We see a boy unzip his pants in a bathroom and is seen sitting on the toilet with his pants down, though his underwear is still on. A man unzips his fly and a squirrel jumps out (this is seen from behind).
Violence & Gore
- A deer is shot and killed by hunters. No blood is or wound is seen, only the body.
- A man goes through the window of a boat and is knocked onto rocks on the shore. A boy runs into a tree and gets a bloody nose from the impact.
- A man grabs a boy by the face and threatens him, and then knocks him out with chemicals. Two boys almost fall off a roof; a boy gets knocked unconscious.
- A robot blows up many tanks and armored vehicles and a robot bites into a power station and gets electrocuted (the scene is very noisy and scary). A robot is run over by a train and knocked out; also, a robot gets shot by tanks, bazookas, machine guns, armed aircraft and other types of military artillery.
- A big robot carries a boy in his hand, towering above the trees, and the boy looks scared.
- We see a brain on TV that moves across the floor by itself.
- A lot of scatological humor (diarrhea, constipation).
- "Oh my God" is said at least twice in a non-sacred sense: first by an adult male, later by the young main character.
- A couple of anatomical references, several scatological references and mild obscenities; some name-calling.
- "Damnit" is used by the antagonist's boss when he phones him at home.
- "What the hell" is used in a handful of scenes.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A man uses a chemical covered handkerchief to knock out a boy.
- Some locals attribute a fisherman's story about the giant to "either whiskey or beer."
- A government agent smokes and carries a pipe several times during the film.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- Rated PG for fantasy action and mild language
- A boy watches an old horror movie on tv; a giant brain starts eating a man's head, but the scene is cut off.
- A fisherman's boat is sunk.
- Hogarth hears something either upstairs or on the roof and slowly goes to find the source of the noise. Later, Hogarth slowly makes his way through a darkened forest (with his flashlight) and follows the destructive path of something obviously quite large.
- In the "Signature Edition" a newly added scene shows the Giant having a dream containing his memories both on Earth and additionally shows a possibility where he originally came from. He remembers the other robots resembling him destroying a city and blowing up an entire planet which awakens him in fear.
- The climax and ending can be very emotionally intense for many.
Violence & Gore
- A robot is shattered to pieces (and allegedly killed) by an missile.