Jackie Chan's Who Am I? (1998) Poster

Good – but the last 20 minutes are great!
bob the moo20 April 2002
Jackie Chan is a special operative, part of an elite military unit who are employed to capture a group of scientist working on a potent force that can be a power source or a weapon of mass destruction. After the job the group is betrayed and their helicopter forced to crash – Jackie is the only survivor. He comes too much later in an African village having lost his memory. When he has regained full strength he begins to try and find who he is – however his ex-employers are also keen to ensure he knows nothing and that they can complete their work.

The story here is solid – not much more can be said than that. It works quite well as a thriller plot but it wouldn't stand up by itself. Happily we have two things saving the plot. The first is the strand of physical comedy that runs through Chan's work – here we have plenty of little jokes scattered around, e.g. Chan is fighting one man and uses the man's tie against him, another man waits to fight Chan but pointedly removes his tie first! The second (and more important) aspect is the fight scenes. For much of the film the action seems to be toned down – indeed there are only 4 or 5 main scenes in the movie where Chan lets rip. However all of these are good, however the final roof top fight (in fact the whole last 20 minutes) is excellent and worth watching the film for.

As always the film doesn't worry about details rather it focuses on choreography. This means we have bad support actors….and we do! It means that things like realism and continuity go out the window…..a car slides on it's side, spins and then turns over again – however seconds later it has no scratches anywhere! And some of the early special effects are a little ropy. Although these are minor problems.

Chan is excellent in the lead and is a real wonder to watch – I wish I could move like him now…never mind when I'm his age. His ability at both martial arts and comedy helps this film immensely. It is hard to fault him for effort.

Overall this is a good Chan movie – it has the same faults as all his movies do, but it's funny, has some good action scenes and ends with a really good conclusion. Well worth watching.
36 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Campy Over-the-Top Cartoon Fun!
roscopekoe1 October 2004
I'm astonished that there were so many negative reviews here...

This film is OBVIOUSLY not meant to be taken seriously. It is very clearly intentionally a "joke" of a film. That people would complain about bad acting, strange dubbing, and/or a convoluted plot just leaves me flabbergasted.

From the very beginning, it should be evident that a big part of the point of the film is its own self-deprecating humor. Jackie loses his memory and is picked up by a primitive African tribe. The chief asks him, in an unintelligible language, "Where do you come from? What is your name?" to which Jackie replies (not understanding the questions) "What am I doing here? Who am I?" This is a JOKE, folks.

A few minutes later, Jackie saves a snake-bite victim with an IV he improvises from a COCONUT! When he's returned to "civilization," the doctor is impressed with that tactic, saying, "That coconut IV technique is only used by elite military units!" Is there any way to even dream of taking the plot/dialogue seriously at this point?

The acting is "bad" by design. The actors were obviously told to ham up everything they did. The meeting of the American intelligence officials is a completely ironic reference to the same sort of scene you'd expect in any James Bond movie. Dialogue is intentionally absurd, plot developments are intentionally obvious. The "Morgan" character is played perfectly (and hilariously) as a crooked CIA operative out for his own gain while feigning loyalty to the USA.

Yuki is a master stunt-driver with the naivete and wide-eyed innocence of a schoolgirl. Christine Stark is a completely laughable "reporter" who fools Jackie only as a result of his head injury; after she's "exposed," she rescues Jackie in an golf cart that can't seem to move faster than an electric wheelchair.

That the villains actually join each other in a verse of song ("Friendship, friendship!") near the end should serve as a good reminder of just how camp this picture strives to be. To criticize it for this as a "failing" seems to me to profoundly miss the point. Did the same viewers dislike that "Hot Shots: Part Deux" was absurd too?

Overall, the strengths of the film deserve the attention: it is a very funny parody of the overplotted "action/intrigue" genre, it has a terrific car chase, notable action sequences, and a terrific Jackie-Chan-Style fight scene at the beginning of the film's climax.

Perhaps I enjoyed this movie because I had grown up watching the "GI Joe" cartoon series, and had always been rather insulted by the fact that it managed to be both preachy and stupid at the same time. If you're looking for a great 100 minutes of parody and HUMOR, I'd recommend this movie. If you're more interested in believability and suspending your disbelief, this film will definitely not work for you at all. Inappropriate expectations would be the only "problem" I can imagine that would reduce one's enjoyment of this film.

If you want a more serious Jackie Chan film, you might try Drunken Master II, or Police Story. But if you're looking for an enjoyable and sardonic 100 minutes, this is truly one of Jackie's great vehicles.
34 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great action/adventure spoof
Brandt Sponseller8 April 2005
Jackie Chan plays a "special forces" agent in this action/adventure film that is as concerned with spoofing the genre as it is with embracing it. The film starts with Chan and fellow agents descending on a convoy through the "South African jungle" to abscond a handful of scientists who have been working on exploiting unusual properties of a mineral found in the South African mines. With the aid of extensive training and sophisticated technological gadgetry, they complete their mission successfully. But someone in the "squad" is double crossing them. As the men are headed for recreational leave, they're sabotaged. Chan makes it out alive, but barely. He hits his head and acquires amnesia. The bulk of the film has him coping with his situation--he first ends up in the middle of a traditional South African community--while government agents try to track him down and kill him.

There are some details I could not fill in above, because the primary flaw with the film, and this is what brought my score down to an 8, or a "B", rather than a 9 or 10, is that the story is almost absurdly convoluted and difficult to glean (there was also a fair amount of ridiculous English dubbing in the version I saw--it was difficult to tell how intentional the "problems" with the dubbing may have been). But the story isn't really the point; and to the extent that it is, the point may be to make it absurdly convoluted and difficult to glean--this is to a large extent a spoof, after all. More important, the story propels the film from one jaw dropping, action-filled set piece to the next. On a surface level, at least, those set pieces are the raison d'etre of Who Am I. But surprisingly perhaps, Chan, who co-directed and co-wrote the film in addition to starring in it, also has a lot of interesting subtextual things to say.

Most viewers will come to this film as Chan fans. As such, they'll be hoping to see his "trademark" martial arts abilities, impressive stunt work and notorious sense of humor; they will not leave disappointed. During the climax, Who Am I has one of the longer extended martial arts sequences in any Chan film, and it unexpectedly gets back to the basics. For at least ten minutes, Chan fights just two "big baddies" who are close matches in skill. He uses relatively few props and relies very little on moving about his environment in fancy ways.

Of course, there are plenty of props and a lot of well-choreographed, complicated blocking elsewhere. A few of these more ostentatious scenes are intentionally hilarious in their absurdity. One of the most memorable spoof scenes involves an extended car chase. Chan imports physics from an alternate universe for about half of this sequence.

As an adventure film, Who Am I presents a kind of James Bond-like travelogue. We go from the jungles of Malaysia (doubling as South Africa) to the South African plains (where Chan disguises himself as a tribesman) to Namibia for a cross-country 4 x 4 race (partially across what looks like the Etosha Pan) to the Netherlands. Those familiar with South Africa will find it amusing that during one sequence, Chan and the cohorts he picks up along the way travel from the Sun City's Lost City to downtown Johannesburg to Pretoria in a matter of minutes. But this is the movies, after all, and a fantastical work of fiction at that. The varied environments were very well chosen, providing a lot of eye candy while also providing great fodder for comic and action scenes.

While it's funny that Chan's character (who is referred to as "Jackie Chan" at one point) comes to be known as "Whoami" once amnesia sets in, there is much more intended than a silly comic device. It's significant that the film is set in South Africa, a nation with a complicated multicultural history and not a little turmoil over the same. The title isn't just a reference to amnesia or Chan's character; it's a rhetorical question about cultural and ethnic identity. The members of Chan's special forces squadron were all loaded with different passports from different countries. They were told to forget their identities. It's never clear who they were, where they came from or who they were working for--a point is made to not let the audience know, and to not even let us know whether they were "good guys" or not.

Chan has to fit into tribal culture. He becomes associated with a Chinese race team in or near Namibia, and then befriends a reporter who appears half Asian and half Caucasian. The American CIA is prominent in the film. They have their hands in every culture shown in the film. There are subtexts about globalism and how first world technology is affecting the development of non-first world countries. The ease of travel, symbolizing ethnic mobility, is a prominent theme. Chan makes sure that the film ends in the Netherlands, which has had a strong presence and influence in South Africa for hundreds of years. The villainy in the film is centered on building better weapons, which of course tend to be used to annihilate persons from opposing cultures or ethnicities. Cultural and ethnic identity has become far more complex in the last couple centuries than it ever was before, even if it was never the clear issue that many people around the world assume it to be.

That the film is able to bring up such interesting issues, all while awing us with graceful action sequences and making us laugh, makes Who Am I a very enjoyable experience. Chan fans shouldn't miss this one.
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very cool, interesting and filled with great Jackie Chan action
commanderblue9 August 2006
This is the first Jackie Chan film I saw and I loved it. I was a little bit young to understand the storyline but now that I'm older, the storyline is actually very great.

The action in this movie is a key part of this film, as it is in any martial arts film. Jackie Chan brings his usual unique fighting style on screen and the best fight of all is atop the roof of the CIA building at the films climax which is followed by an awesome stunt which I won't give away. The villain is a decent antagonist and Chan's sidekicks come in handy this time around.

Great film, it is dubbed by a few actors/actresses but just plain fun and awesome overall.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
best fight scene on film
jaken7712 January 2004
ok, so the acting wasn't the greatest, but the excellence in every other aspect of the movie completely compensated for it. It had a good story, amazing action sequences, and a good combination of action and comedy (what Jackie does so well). the fight scene on top of the building is the best fight scene i've ever seen. what makes it the best is how real it is, today's movies' fight scenes are full of wires and quick cuts in editing to confuse the audience into thinking there's more going on. this fight had amazing stunts with guys who really knew what they were doing, with Jackie's trademark funny expressions mixed in. By far JC's best, and I didn't even say anything about the car stunts.
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exhilarating final fight sequence redeems film.
gridoon19 February 2004
This overlong Jackie vehicle looks like a DTV flick (of course it WAS a DTV flick, but that's no excuse), has an exposition-heavy script, and some of the action set-pieces (including the car chase) lack energy, but all's forgiven when we get to the last 20 minutes, where we witness one of the most exhilarating fight sequences ever filmed, followed shortly afterwards by (arguably) THE most breathtaking stunt Chan has ever attempted on-screen - and that's saying something! (**1/2)
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So awesome you can't miss it
fabianmettler12 October 2002
This is such an excellent movie. It starts of with jackie chan playing a commando sent out to retrieve a new weapon of some sort. Later though he gets thrown out of a helicopter due to a dreadful CIA double cross. He lands somewhere in the middle of South Africa. Soon he ends up living with some natives there and soon he becomes one of them. But the people who masterminded the double cross are out to get him, although you don't know who is and who isn't. The film has some awesome fight sequences, stunts, shootings,and chases. This is everything you would excpect froma great Jackie Chan movie.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
uneven but interestingly plotted Chan fare with a simply AMAZING stunt at the end
DrLenera28 March 2005
As with Mr Nice Guy,this Jackie Chan vehicle is basically a Hong Kong production filmed in English with mostly western actors. It's actually an odd Chan film in some respects. For a start,the first third of the film hardly seems like a Chan film at all,apart from a few comic bits of business {Chan chased up a tree by a lion}which are mostly cut from the US version anyway. Even in shortened form,and with some good desert photography,the whole 'Chan finds himself among desert tribesmen' subplot seems an unnecessarily laborious way of getting into the amnesia story that becomes the main thrust of the story.

Nevertheless,after this the film becomes solid Chan fare with the same fast pacing of Mr Nice Guy. There's a great car chase and while the fights are quite short {as with most recent Chan films,he spends a lot of time running away from opponents},it's good to see Chan bashed about a bit-he looks very vulnerable in this film. Of course the acting is weak and some of the dialogue laughable {I'm not sure I agree with the reviewer here who says it was intentionally comic,but opinions differ!},while the intrigue of the amnesia/spy plot just becomes an excuse for the usual chasing around. However,one can almost forgive all this when the climax features a great fight on top of a skyscraper followed quite simply one of the most awesome and downright foolhardy stunts Chan has done. I won't describe it in detail,just see for yourself! You WILL be amazed.

There is a sense with Who Am I that the filmmakers attempted to tell a fairly complex story and then realised they were making a Jackie Chan movie and changed it accordingly,leaving a fair bit of confusion. Interestingly,Chan's original cut was around 3 hours long,and maybe that made more sense and balanced the two elements of the film better. Still,there's a lot of fun to be had here nevertherless. And just listen to Chan rap the part English,part Chinese theme song during the end credits.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Jackie Chan must watch!
Rubyslips99-113 March 2006
Great great kung fu film. The plot is a farce on the typical James Bond fare of secret government conspiracies and evil men attempting to gain the means to take over the world. The strength here, instead of a huge budget full of beautiful women and nifty gadgets, is in the action sequences. The fight scenes are so much fun to watch, and Chan's car chase is also a wonderful piece of footage (with some physics+ involved). If you are looking for a great time with the kind of fast fighting and physical comedy that come with Jackie Chan then make sure you sit down to Who Am I? Also, I will say that the final fight scene between Chan and the two toughest badies in the the bad men's stock fight is incredible. My favorite fight scene of all moviedom, especially the man whose specialty is his incredible legwork.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Watch out for the final rooftop fight sequence.
Fella_shibby25 June 2016
Saw this first on a VHS during the late 90s. Jackie Chan is a secret operations commando. He loses his memory while on a mission in South Africa. Jason bourne? OK lets put aside the plot n concentrate on action. The fight scenes were absolutely amazing. The final sequences boast both one of Jackie Chan's best filmed fights and one of his best stunts. There is an amazing fight scene on a rooftop at the end of the movie. Jackie fights with two fighters on a rooftop. The end stunt where Chan slides down a huge dip on the side of a building is fantastic. The cinematography of the African bush is nicely done. Its co-directed by Jackie Chan n Benny Chan (New police story, Invisible target, Shaolin).
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Possibly Jackie Chan's most underrated film.
Abyss4731 May 2013
Some of the most exciting action movies came out in the 90's, and this espionage gem is no exception, as it keeps you engaged from start to finish with its death-defying stunts - all of which don't feel as forced as they do in other Jackie Chan action flicks - and intriguing blend of humor, drama, and suspense. Taking place across a variety of locations (including South Africa), it's an adventurous epic that gives you a lot to see. The plot also unfolds primarily as a mystery, keeping you guessing to the end, as Jackie is trying to find out exactly why everyone from the secret police to the CIA is after him. Like most Jackie Chan films, there's also a strong reliance on humor, except this film doesn't have nearly as much slapstick as, say, "Police Story", to the point where it becomes annoying. The humor is carefully blended into the proceedings, and even when it reaches unintentional levels, it somehow makes the movie all the more enjoyable.

I won't spoil the various stunts performed in the film, you just have to see them to believe them, but needless to say, they are jaw-dropping. Speaking of jaw-dropping, the rooftop fight, which also serves as the final fight sequence in the film, is one of the best I've ever seen. It goes on for a while, but it's so well choreographed and stunningly executed that you'll want it to keep going for a few more minutes afterwards. The score by Nathan Wang, while nothing remarkable, fits the movie well, and sometimes goes so far as to raise the excitement factor, specifically during the chase sequences. It must be hard for anybody to direct themselves in a film, especially in an action film on such a large scale as this one, but Jackie Chan does so admirably here, alongside Benny Chan. It's some of his best work of the 90's alongside "Operation Condor".
Great Jackie Chan movie
ebiros28 November 2011
Jackie Chan's movie has become modernized since Thunderbolt, and his association with Mitsubishi motors stronger. This movie is the end point or the apex of Jackie Chan's Hong Kong production before he really broke into Hollywood with Rush Hour. Most if not all of his movie since has been of international caliber, not confined to the Asian market.

Jackie Chan is a secret operations commando. He loses his memory while on a mission in South Africa. He gets picked up by the local tribe, then meets a rally driver and saves her brother's life. He becomes somewhat of a local celebrity, but his old colleagues, and South African intelligence is after him.

Jackie Chan is the first Asian asides from the Japanese to successfully created movies of international caliber, and he did this all by himself. The production of this movie is clearly beyond that of traditional Hong Kong movies, and refined to the point of international standards. The movie is beautifully shot, with exciting action scenes that only Jackie Chan seems to be able to create.

This movie has bit more action, and less comedy. Viewer's opinion may vary depending on which side of Jackie Chan movie they prefer to see more of.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining and funny Jackie Chan film with action packed from the beginning to the end
ma-cortes17 October 2011
Amusing and colorful action movie with Jackie Chan taking on dealers who kidnap three scientists in charge of very powerful meteorite fragments . It packs a violent confrontation between Jackie and double agents from CIA . This exciting story about a secret agent also named Jackie Chan is stunningly played and efficiently directed. Chang participates in a sting operation against an international spy-ring that is smuggling meteorite scraps with objective to create some nuclear weapons . The secret agent loses his record after falling from a crashing chopper . The commandos were then murdered in a helicopter crash , except Jackie who fell out of the chopper . Later on , Jackie was picked up by a a tribe of South African natives , who then asked him his name . Sadly, Jackie had lost his records and shouted 'Who Am I? . He is then pursued by a great number of other agency operatives, but he has no idea why . This leads Jackie traveling all over the globe beginning in Africa and finishing in Rotterdan . His journey with aid from two female sidekicks (Michelle Febre and Yamamoto) to find out his memory leads him all the way to Rotterdam where he coincidentally learns the location of the organization that abducted the three scientists. With no record , Chan is thirsty for answers by any means necessary . The story follows him as he attempts to stay alive and chase the villain . When CIA staff is deceived by a wicked criminal traitor called the General (Ed Nelson) , Chan turns into an unfortunate spy , he then is also double-crossed . A young journalist (Febre) helps him to track down and apprehend the gang commanded by a double agent (Ron Smerczak) . Then Chan looks for vengeance against the ominous villains at a cat and mouse game.

This exciting movie is crammed of thrills , unstopped action , overwhelming stunt-work and lots of violence but with humor . Jackie Chan is top notch as one army man fighting a group of heinous criminals and as always he makes his own stunts like is showed on the final fake-shots . Awesome , incredible stunts and brief comic touches , as usual ; the picture is better constructed than Chan's predecessors films . The lighting-paced storyline slows down at times , but frantic action sequences make up for it . Spotlights movie include a stirring car pursuit , impressive and interminable fights , breathtaking images with Chan going down a building, and other extraordinary action sequences in James Bond style . This is a phenomenal action movie distinguished by nicely cinematography of the spectacular sequences , and contains agreeable sense of humor such as previous entries . However while the former outings Jackie teamed up to prestigious actresses and fine action stars in their own right , like Maggie Cheung and Michelle Khan , at this film his two parternaires , Michelle Ferre and Yamamoto, are unknown . This is a passable action movie distinguished by ferocious sequences , and packs silly sense of humor as well as Jackie's subsequent entries . The picture achieves success in USA and around the world . However , Jackie Chan's failed at Box-office in his American debut ,¨Battle creel brawl¨ . Chan is a hard-working actor and director throughout his long and varied career .He went on playing ¨Cannoball¨ , ¨The protector¨ and "Rumble in the Bronx", until getting all American success with ¨Shangai Knights¨ , ¨The tuxedo¨ , ¨Around the world in 8days¨ and ¨Rush hour¨ trilogy , and of the course the recent ¨Karate kid¨. Of course , his big hits were ¨The Police story¨ series that won the Golden Horse Award, a Chinese version of the Oscar , the first was titled ¨Police story(1985)¨ directed by the same Chan , it was a perfect action film for enthusiastic of the genre ; the following was ¨Police story 2(1988)¨also pretty violent and with abundant humor touches. It's followed by this ¨Supercop¨ or ¨Police story 3¨ and finally, ¨Police story IV : Crime story. The picture is lavishly produced by the great Asian producers Raymond Chow and Golden Harvest production and compellingly directed by Benny Chan . Benny made various Jackie Chan vehicles as ¨New Police story¨and ¨Robin B-Hood¨ . Rating : Acceptable and passable , the picture has its sensational moments here and there , but also pretty violent and with abundant humor touches mostly provided by its agile star , the super Jackie . It's a perfect action film for enthusiast of the genre .
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of Chan's most fun flicks.
Li-116 January 2004
*** out of ****

Despite boasting one of the silliest non-horror titles I've heard, Who Am I? is one of Jackie Chan's best movies. No, seriously. This straight-to-cable release deserved a better fate than it received, for it's really a funny, exciting popcorn martial arts action flick that's truer to the Jackie Chan we all know and love than most of his other recent theatrically released films (The Shanghai series, the Rush Hour flicks, The Tuxedo, and The Medallion). There's no wise-cracking, smart-mouthed partner, and even better, no magical powers and/or costumes that require the extensive use of wirework. Who Am I? is old-fashioned Chan with a slicker look and higher production values.

The plot's more of the same usual nonsense, but with a slightly more paranoid edge. Chan stars as a secret agent who loses his memory after falling from a helicopter. He's adopted by an African tribe who dubs him WhoamI, because those are the first words he says. After learning their culture and language, he eventually leaves to discover his real identity and his past. But what do you know, just as soon as he's reached a city, everybody's looking to kill him and he's stuck with an annoying reporter (Michelle Ferre) who isn't all that she says she is.

Who Am I? boasts the usual flaws of a Jackie Chan flick. The plot's inconsequential, the acting's atrocious, and the dialogue is painful to listen to. Jackie even delivers a `violence and greed is bad' speech to the villains; word of advice, Jackie: if you're going to deliver such a goofy-sounding (and somewhat naïve) statement, you should make certain you've got the strong plot to back it up in the first place. The only thing that generally separates the quality of Chan's Hong Kong work is the quantity and quality of the action and humor. In this case, the first half is admittedly somewhat slow, but peppered with a few genuinely funny, if not also rather silly, moments that keeps the film from bogging down.

I could have done entirely without Michelle Ferre, whose awful performance ranks as one of the worst I've ever seen. Not only is she unconvincing as a journalist, but the movie goes on to reveal that she's actually a CIA agent! Her presence does little more than hinder Jackie's usual charms and provides the plot with a deus ex machine resolution.

But the rest of the stuff is mostly bearable enough to get into the action. There are three major fight scenes, the early one with Jackie handcuffed behind his back is pretty nifty, but also a tad short. The battle in the city streets is innovative and there's a wild car chase, too. But the entire selling point of the picture is its climactic ten-minute two-on-one martial arts battle, which is elaborate, thrilling, and quite cleverly humorous. This is probably the best pure fight scene I've seen in any of Jackie Chan's films and goes a long way in making some of the earlier flaws forgivable.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
André Büchel Great Jackie Fan
Jackie Chan24 March 2002
A great movie, fantastic stunts and a incredible Jackie Chan. Jackie Chan is, and will always be the King of action and comedy. I have seen the most of Jackie's movies, and this is one of his best. I've never seen a guy as much crazy than Jackie. Go on Jackie, you are at your best.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rotterdam rules!!
Maarten van Krimpen5 June 2002
What a great pleasure, an "American" movie, made in Rotterdam!! I've seen the movie two days ago for the second time, and I was fascinated bij the fight on the Nationale Nederlanden building on the end! I reckon that the story is nothing, and the acting (except Jackie Chan) was crap, but the scenes in my homecity were fantastic to see. Did anybody know that there are also a lot of (famous) Dutch people in it? One of the scientists is Michiel Kerbosch, a man who Dutch people know as Zwarte Piet, who helps Sinterklaas (for people who are not Dutch, I think is quite hard to understand this). And the white guy who fights with Jackie Chan is a karate star, Ron Smoorenburg. For Dutch people (and other people of course) who haven't seen this movie yet: go see it and enjoy!!!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The cure for amnesia is dangerous and exhausting
john King19 February 2006
Jackie Chan "Who Am I?"

"Who Am I?", the, 'pour hot water on it and you have the epitome of existential action-chase thrillers', is a tour de force for Jackie Chan as writer, director, and actor of live Anime, and displays, nay flaunts, Chan's genius as the Baryshnikov of stunts, clown-prince of farce, and cunning Odysseus of the dire situation.

Chan, a master emeritus of automotive mayhem who lives life as a chase scene, creates solutions to complex and even impossible physical circumstance in unfolding the eternally evolving cliff-hanger. He is so clearly a genius at integrating the improbable into the story, that the film becomes a vehicle in which satire characterized by dialogue that mocks the situation, has Chan, playing a flawed, kind of stupid, but certainly lovable Huck Finn of the Pan Asian world, a plucky hero in the losing quest for the elusive grail of justice and fair play

Our hero is an island of bewildered calm in a chaotic sea of dangerously frenetic characters, united in their evil resolve to eliminate him – and as the chase ebbs and flows, his issue remains, "Who am I?", as he remains ever true to the existential inquiry that the film poses while continually re-proving that he is both, tough AND resourceful, albeit, at bottom, everyman as an impossible klutz, often verging on dorkiness.

His plastic face simultaneously registers every nuance of fear, fright, chagrin, uncertainty, as he careens from environ to environ, from the jungles and deserts of South Africa to the boulevards and canals of Amsterdam, to be chased in wooden clogs through a brilliantly colorful impromptu street festival. From morning to late, late at night, the relentless chase ensues while the hopelessly effervescent Jackie plays an ever diminishing game of catch up with a sub rosa world of bad guys who live a parallel existence of high tech criminal activity, doing what bad guys have always done – pool resources to rule the world, and exterminate the rest of us.

Run, Jackie!

So, not a lot of people know this, but, really outrageous stuff is going on right under the very noses of the hoi-polloi and bourgeoisie – and THAT is the state of consciousness that Chan's character is awakening to.

Jackie, look behind you!

His directing of action is impeccable, if there is any weakness in his formidable arsenal of tools, perhaps it may be found in the level of line reading by the so-called actors who support Chan, which, being generous, can only be contrasted with that level of acting approached by startled porn stars who find themselves in a film where they are cooperating to carry a story line, and find, to their chagrin, that their scene is expected to move the greater story forward while we thought it was only about sex. Good porn is about the ACTING. And so is a good Jackie Chan movie.

In his movie making vision, over and over again, in scene after scene, Chan reveals that he is a Marxist of the Groucho variety. And, after the summum momentum mano a mano martial arts scene in which Chan's brilliance as choreographer dominates, his character has his epiphany and fully arcs to Jackie becoming the chaser, no longer absorbed in his question, "Who am I?", but rather, is now lost in a greater cause, to save the world, recapture the MacGuffin, and speak his everyman's philosophy to only use your powers for good, not evil.

And with that, he makes the gesture that resolves the emptiness and meaninglessness of any interpretation of his drama, and flies off in the setting sun of the last true hero.

And then... The cherry on the top of the meringue on top of the shards of titanium sundae that is the life of the live Manga-boy of action adventure; outtakes, which provide background the end title credits. My favorite moment is Jackie teaching 'native' African children the Macarena. This man is COMMITTED to your entertainment, and I, for one, say thank you, Jackie Chan.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fresh, funny, exciting...maybe Jackie's last truly great film
Leofwine_draca4 December 2016
A winning combination of amusing humour and great martial arts makes WHO AM I? one of Jackie Chan's best films to date. Although the plot is somewhat simplistic this is to be expected and it's really just an excuse to stage three excellent extended action sequences which are superbly choreographed and a delight to watch. Like previous Hong Kong Chan films the movie takes in international locations, here using location shooting in South Africa and Holland to add to the great effect. Although the acting is only adequate, the physical humour and martial arts shine through and make this one to watch. Jackie Chan is in his prime and as always puts his all into the production.

The first really notable action comes when a handcuffed Chan must escape from a gang of shady secret service men; some great stunts follow including a fine car chase and plenty of shooting and explosions. The second action sequence is a chase through the streets and involves some fine comedy involving clogs. The final and best piece of action is the twenty-minute long finale, which involves a tremendous martial arts bout on the rooftop of a skyscraper between Chan and two expertly-trained fighters. An awesome mix of impossible superhuman moves, props, dangerous situations, stunts, and humour follows, all performed without the aid of special effects and with Jackie Chan not using a stuntman of course. All in all this is a splendid and greatly enjoyable production which doesn't let up and manages to be funny as well as exciting.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sliding down the Rotterman building...worth the price of admission alone
Parker Lewis1 October 2016
This was made at a time when Jackie Chan was allowed to be Jackie, doing his amazing stunts and all without a care for the world. Then Hollywood beckoned.

Anyway, about half of this movie is set in some African country, and then Jackie does one of the most incredible stunts of all time in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. He manages to slide down an incredibly steep glass building - I wondered, how on earth did he do it??!! I mean, would he do it in the first place? No CGI, no wires, no nothing, just Jackie's bravery and wow, absolutely unforgettable and full-on. Anything could have gone wrong, but thankfully Jackie lived and provide the audience with one of the best stunts in movie history.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is what Jackie Chan is all about!
asiduodiego23 April 2011
Great movie by Jackie Chan. He's really one of the greatest martial artists of all time, and in this movie, he also shows his skills as actor, director, comedian, and stunt coordinator, in this amazing movie.

The plot is lame, of course, but, what are you expecting?. It just a martial arts movie!. And the word "amazing" is short to describe the incredible stunts performed by Jackie. It's incredible, this is one of his late movies, but the man delivers as good as ever.

The only thing that I didn't care about this movie was the resolution of the plot. I found the ending sequence pretty lame. But the rest is just Jackie delivering as good as ever, with good action, breath-taking sequences and a lot of laughs. Go check it out!

1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
You can't get bored with such action scenes
sazo-218 February 2006
OK, the film does not shine from the plot point of view, but the fight and stunt scenes are incredible. As we could get used to it from Jackie Chan. I don't mind if there are goofs in the acting or the plot. The action scenes are compensating them. I don't know if there is another actor capable of such stunts, maybe Jet Li.

But he is rather good in kung-fu, while Jackie also does some amazing jumps, climbings, rolls down on a rope, runs down on the side of a skyscraper. The car stunts are not bad, although in some points they seem goofy. And there is the final fight scene. The last fights are always special in his movies, and this will not disappoint You. If You like Jackie Chan's movies, this is a must see.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent Jackie Chan experience...
TheHande12 February 2006
"Who Am I" is a one of the truest Jackie Chan films I have ever seen.

Of Jackie's international espionage related films (such as 'First Strike' and 'Accidental Spy') this one shines by giving Jackie more a purpose and making him less hapless. Regardless of this minor change in character, Jackie remains Jackie, but the subtle shift in dynamics is what makes this film stand out and a more fulfilling experience in cinema.

Though the CGI and special-effects were a bit over-blown we still get classic Jackie-style humour and great fight-scenes and some very nice action-scenes as well. Jackie's cry "Who Am I!" in the middle of the film also has a great amount of emotional content and when I saw it in a commercial for the film I immediately knew that I wanted to watch this film.

This is the definitive Jackie Chan experience.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Praise of seamless blend of action, drama and comedy.
freyni18 September 2000
This just goes to show that Jackie can still cut it as an action hero with the best of them, even though his American produced movies are a little tame by his own standards. With no need to worry about insurance, Jackie takes his adventures literally to the edge. Who Am I ? has all the stunts, car chases and action you could wish for, all in Jackie Chan's unique style, faster, more exciting and wittier than anyone else's. This time the action is complemented by better acting and personal drama than usual. The hero is chased and manipulated by several factions, all of whom know more than he does. In fact, all Jackie wants is to find out who he is but he never knows who to believe. It's a shame that this went straight to cable/video, because it's a better and more substantial film than either Rush Hour or Shanghai Noon, much as I enjoyed both of those. Highly recommended
A BIG disappointment
Wizard-85 February 1999
Did I see the same movie as everyone else here? I rented this today, and to tell the truth, I was bored silly. Hey, I LOVE Jackie Chan movies, but this one just didn't work. We want to see Jackie kick butt, but there are hardly any fights in this movie! In fact, there are more foot chases and car chases than fights! And Jackie has never been a great actor, but he wasn't very good here. Seeing him scream "Who Am I??????" was unintentionally funny.

The movie is also INCREDIBLY SLOW for the first half hour or so. The plot is also very confusing - the fact that Jackie has amnesia just adds to the confusion. I had no idea why sometimes characters knew things. (I saw the version put out by Columbia/Tri-Star video - did they cut up this movie, like other American producers have done for other Chan movies? This might explain things. Wasn't there supposed to be a scene with a lion? Not in the version I saw.)

The fight on top of the office building roof, however, is a fantastic fight. If the rest of the movie had been as great as that battle, we'd have an action classic here.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Awesome Stunts by Jackie Chan who played a man with Amensia.
drewdizzle-1510213 May 2017
Great action packed Identity questioning Martial Arts Classic. Recommended viewing for film buffs and action movie freaks. Jackie Chan is great at stunt work. It's one of the films that launched his career as a Martial Arts Hero of China. Watch for yourself and judge accordingly.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this