For Love of the Game (1999) Poster

The real American pastime
Kindo12 September 1999
For Love Of The Game

Maybe I'm looking at this film through rose colored glasses. Sam Raimi is one of my favorite directors, a real talent with visual ingenuity and a penchant for silliness. With last holiday's bleak A SIMPLE PLAN, Raimi gave up his EVIL DEAD past and churned out the most satisfying dramatic thriller of last year. He is certainly growing by leaps and bounds as a storyteller, and his latest film, FOR LOVE OF THE GAME, is another surprise for those of us who are fans. A truly elegant, dashingly romantic, white-knuckled look at baseball and matters of the human heart, GAME represents what a true Hollywood soap opera should be, effective.

Kevin Costner plays Billy Chapel, an aging pitcher for the Detroit Tigers heading for the mound for may be his last time ever. The team owner has sold the organization to a corporation and they have plans to trade Billy. His arm continues to fail him more every time he steps up to thrown. And to top it all off, Billy must deal with his tempestuous relationship with Jane, a woman he met by a broken down car on the side of the road five years ago and has yet to fully commit to. With all these thoughts swirling inside Billy's head, he unknowingly begins pitching a perfect game. Unable to keep his mind clear, Billy thinks back on his life during the game and considers the mistakes he has made and the people he has met.

Told mostly in flashback, LOVE OF THE GAME is first and foremost a baseball movie. While being knocked for his recent professional choices (yeah, I liked THE POSTMAN, say what you will) Kevin Costner seems to have been crowned king of the baseball flicks. Ron Shelton's BULL DURHAM is pure genius, the best baseball film ever. FIELD OF DREAMS is more like GAME, both share a strong heartbeat and retaining a smart enthusiasm for the sport. Costner has been the glue that held both films together. He's always been a good actor, only reaching brilliance once (DURHAM). He has the rare charm the many actors forget to consider. While not technically proficient, Costner knows screen charisma well. GAME gives us a desperate Costner performance, one which lets the actor take his guard down for once. His Billy Chapel is a man used to success, yet unsure how to use it to his advantage. A man who can hardly imagine himself consumed by anything but baseball. It's a great performance from Costner. My only hope is that public opinion doesn't tarnish the acting for the paying crowd.

Kelly Preston has the more troublesome task of shining brighter than Costner. A working actress for sometime now, this new film feels like the first time Preston is really acting. I enjoyed her supporting work in 1998's underrated JACK FROST, and GAME finally puts her front and center. She bounces effortlessly of Costner, and the two - while skittish at first - melt into a nice chemistry that packs more emotion than I expected. The loopy John C. Reilly (BOOGIE NIGHTS) and Jena Malone (STEPMOM) are also quite pleasant in small roles.

Working with even more restraint than his SIMPLE PLAN, Raimi brings to the table his gift for camera placement and visual tenacity. The baseball scenes in GAME are very romantic, the title doesn't lie. A self-professed fanatic of baseball, Raimi's love of the game shows in each shot. With noted cinematographer John Bailey, the two create a pristine looking film. The stadium scenes are both frightening cinematic and realistic at the same time. The look of the film might not register with many people, but I couldn't help but to admire such attention to detail.

Screenwriter Dana Stevens made quite an impression with her spare and warm CITY OF ANGELS remake. What she brings to GAME is the feeling of courtship that I enjoyed in Costner's last film MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE. Costner and Preston really show the genesis of a relationship, warts and all. The structure of flashback that Stevens uses to tell the story isn't as unfortunate as it sounds. It's all a rather nice mix of familiar baseball melodrama and a hearty dose of Hollywood soap opera. Stevens proves once again that she has a wonderful ear for romantic entanglements.

Call me a sucker for the obvious, but FOR LOVE OF THE GAME really worked for me. I really was moved by the story and enjoyed all the nuances and quirks. This classy film might not have a hero with a chainsaw for a hand, a crispy scientist with a reliance on synthetic skin, or a quickdrawing Sharon Stone. What it does have is strong emotional resonance. A audience film that the mainstream will love and the arthouse will abhor. I'll take that any day.-------- 10/10
50 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I CAN'T THINK OF A BETTER MOVIE TO CURL UP WITH.
candiepruitt10 February 2002
This has to be one of the best movies I have ever watched and watched and... well, you get the picture.It is a revealing account of relationships and feelings and trust. Set during one major league baseball game, a man relives the past five years of his life from the pitchers mound. He realizes, over what may be the course of a perfect game, that his life has been anything but perfect. That the really important things in life are slipping away from him.This movie is full of life, it's sweet. It draws you in and holds your interest. I think the movie was underrated because of the subject matter. A romantic baseball movie? but that's just the surface. This movie goes very deep. If you give it a chance you will see that the reality of the setting and the people are extremely captivating, as well as fun. I can't think of another movie that has made me feel so good and so satisfied at the end. If you like baseball you can't help but love this movie. It's full of the most realistic ball playing I have ever seen in a film.If you like a sweet romance that doesn't have to rely on sex and nudity to tell the story, well, this is it. This has to be my all time favorite movie. I own it on vhs as well as dvd. The spotlight on location is a wonderful feature on both versions. It gives a fun look at the making of aspects. It also shows you interview clips from the professional ball people who were involved in the making of the film. I urge anyone who just wants to relax, enjoy a good story and feel better for watching it, to get this movie .
36 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This Film Is About Life
wildhart19 March 2001
This film is much more than a beautiful film about baseball. It's about life....about the continuity of life... about moving on... about taking stock of who you are, and who you are going to be. Billy Chapel stands there, quietly, introspectively, doing what he has always done, what he wants to always do, but knowing at the same time, through his reflections and his actions, that things change nevertheless. At the crux of the pennant game for the Yankees, this Detroit pitcher stands on the pitcher's mound, knowing, seeing, the flow of life. His team sold, knowing his days for the Tigers are over, that his catcher will likely not be there again, that his great love is leaving, that her daughter has grown, his friend playing now for the Yankees, even the last pitcher he faces - who began as a Tiger bat boy for the team his father played for, the Tigers - a boy whom the announcers say has no idea of what this moment is, although he does, his team owner watching the last great game of summer... deciding... about the rest of his life. Through his comments, his thoughts, and his reflections, he evaluates not only where he is going, but who he is and what he will be. And at the precipice of the rest of his life, a perfect game in the balance, he finds it... what his life means. This film never fails to make me cry.
40 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Even If You Hate Baseball -- and Kevin Costner -- This Movie Still Rocks!
Dan1863Sickles12 October 2006
Why do I love this movie so much? I'm not a baseball fan. I didn't really like FIELD OF DREAMS. And I hated BULL DURHAM. Yet this movie just captivates me every time I watch it.

Part of it is the tight, real-time structure -- the whole movie takes place in a man's head while he pitches a perfect baseball game on the mound. It therefore combines the tension of a thriller with the poignant emotions of an elegy.

But what I loved most about this movie is that there are no clichés. Kevin Costner's character, Billy Chapel, is not a "sports underdog." It's very clear he is a great athlete who has had a great career, and that he can walk away at any time with lots of money and lots of respect. The only reason that pitching the perfect game matters to him is purely for the perfection of his art -- for the love of the game.

At the same time, not all the action is on the baseball diamond. In the romantic drama, Kevin Costner does much more than play the usual Costner "nice guy." Billy Chapel can be cold, egocentric, and difficult -- just like any other creative artist. But he always surrounds himself with people who are strong enough to challenge him and help him stay grounded. It's no exaggeration to say that the supporting cast in this film -- John C. Reilly as the catcher, Kelly Preston as the girl friend, and Jena Malone as the girl friend's adorable teenage daughter -- are very much the stars. They really set Costner up for an unusually mature, disciplined performance. Just the way Chapel's team mates set him up for the perfect game! This movie wasn't that well received by the critics. I remember one frightfully cultured fellow at the NEW YORKER sniffing that Costner's character is "arrogant." Note well that if an artist or an intellectual is cold and demanding, it's okay. But athletes should be jolly, ape like simpletons, the kind who know their place. This complex, poignant movie is actually quite subversive, since it forces you to realize that baseball is a thinking man's game and that athletes (and their working class fans) are not nearly as stupid as the real simpletons who write for the NEW YORKER.

Shocking!!!
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
9 on a scale of 10
len tinman16 August 2000
I would have to say that I have seen very few movies better than For Love of the Game. My favorite genre is Romantic Comedy. This wasn't a comedy, but it was feel good. It was light drama and it was extremely well done.

Costner portrayed an aging baseball player with a romantic attachment to the game that reminded me of Robert Redford in The Natural - another movie I rated a 9. The symbolism of the movie was the notion of ending a romance for the game and transferring that romance to a woman. For him, at least, there was room for only one at a time. And, fortunately for her, his career was at the very end. Fortunately for us, we got to see his last game interspersed with flashbacks.

The movie was brilliantly done with respect to the actual game of baseball. I cannot recall having seen a sports movie that did such an excellent job of maintaining accuracy about the game. I honestly could have believed I was watching an actual game. The plays were realistic. The situations realistic. And, Vin Scully was sensational doing the play by play.

I've only rated a few movies as 10's in my life. One of them was Field of Dreams - another Costner vehicle. This movie wasn't far behind FOD. In fact, it was nearly as magical and it was a lot more romantic. Why the reviewers of IMDB only give it a 6.7 is beyond me.
29 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Few movies leave me breathless. Fewer still leave me speechless.
Angelab4111 March 2001
This was one of those rare events where you find yourself clicking through channels and luck upon the beginning of a movie so engrossing that the world completely stops until the credits roll. This is Costner's greatest performance, with a depth of emotion that we've never seen before.

This is much more than a baseball film. It's a love story about love and baseball, and life and facing the future when you finally "grow up." It's about the choices behind us and the chances ahead.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too much psychobabble
mainefred16 June 2014
The producers were obviously trying to cash in on the popularity of Bull Durham, but this was a bad misfire. 5 percent baseball. 95 percent psychobabble, with Costner and Preston endlessly discussing their relationship, the rules of the game, etc, etc. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan without the humor. And what the Tiger's ace pitcher could see in this messed- up gal is a mystery. At 40 years old, he should have known better. Susan Sarandon was a much more convincing match for him.

If you like juvenile dialog about love affairs, you may find this interesting. But if you're looking for a baseball movie like Bull Durham or Field of Dreams, forget this one. It's a love story, and not a very good one.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Highly Enjoyable Movie...
Joe-11411 September 1999
I saw a sneak preview of "For Love of the Game," tonight, and I must say, I was thoroughly entertained by it. And not merely entertained in the respect of some "purely-made-to-entertain" movies, but this movie inspired emotion, one thing I think really makes a movie. If a movie makes you feel a certain way, whether it's anger, or happiness, I think it shows something. "For Love of the Game," did that for me. Costner's character, excellently portrayed in my opinion, loved baseball, and in turn, I loved his character. I loved the whole movie actually. It was funny at times, symbolic at others, and above all, it was quite enjoyable. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give it a 10. Again, this is just my opinion, but I would definitely recommend this to anyone.
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Believable look at a Pro Athlete
rossearch5 October 2006
This movie is one of the very best character studies of an athlete. The script, the direction, and Costner's performance yield an insightful profile of a driven character. Driven but not a jerk, and so the course of the relationship developed between the athlete and Kelly Preston's character is credible and engaging. The ways in which the other players are brought into the episodes that tell us about the main character resonate for amateur players and other baseball fans. All the performances ring familiar and true. Vin Scully is given the green light on cornball baseball homilies, but just to have Vinny's voice seasoning the movie gives authority and authenticity throughout.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Gamely Crafted, No-Frills Hit!
KissEnglishPasto1 August 2016

"They don't make 'em like they used to!" As regards "For Love of the Game", the above comment applies to both movies and baseball players! Old- fashioned, straight-ahead storytelling, complimented by solid performances, extremely convincing on-the-field action, excellent photography and more than competent direction by Sam Raimi, make for a resoundingly entertaining movie...even if you're not much of a baseball fan!

Perhaps the best thing going for the film is its truly innovative integration and balance of rapid- fire on-going game vs. relationship development flashback elements, allowing the viewer to "get inside the athlete's head" in a way no other movie in recent memory does. "For Love" thusly manages to put a signature spin on the subjective experience of a great athlete's swan song by sharing and highlighting the stark contrast between the external precision and perfection of the real-world game in progress, and the turbulent, highly personal, inner-world of the passions that drive him. .......................................................from Pasto,Colombia...Via: L.A. CA., CALI, COLOMBIA and ORLANDO, FL

Kevin Costner, certainly NOT the greatest actor in the world, literally shines in the mother of all tailor made roles. Kelly Preston shows us a highly focused intensity, in just what may be her best on screen appearance to date! John C. Reilly, although cast as the solid-as-a-rock-always- there- when-you-need-him-on-the-sidelines Catcher, plays to the hilt a supporting role, in every sense of the word.

There are moments in "For Love", however, that seem a touch too maudlin, trying just a little too hard to jerk that extra tear. A few of these melancholy scenes are drawn out to the point of making the viewer self- conscious and put upon. These occasional excesses are easily overlooked, however, in light of the films many strengths and its overall highly engrossing nature.

8*.....ENJOY/DISFRUTELA!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Way too sappy
ThreeThumbsUp26 April 2014
This movie didn't take long to get sappy and cheesy. It begins with a montage of Billy Chappel's (Kevin Cosner) life leading up to his final pitching performance in New York against the Yankees. Before the game, he finds out that the Tigers' beloved owner is selling the team and his girlfriend is moving to London. "There's a job there Billy. A good job. An editor's position." It gets worse. Before taking the field, he takes a whiff of his old glove and there it is, his first flashback to his childhood; playing ball in the back yard. As he's warming up in the bullpen before the game, his manager wants to start a young catcher, but Billy insists that his buddy Gus start instead. "If Gus doesn't play, I don't pitch." OK then. As the game rolls along, he flashes back to his romance with Kelly Preston and everything is just dandy. He's got a perfect game until, wait, what? The young prospect he met before the game that used to be his bat-boy comes to the plate... Only redeeming factor is the actual baseball action. Looks real enough and it was filmed in Yankee Stadium.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Interesting framework
vranger19 June 2009
It took a while for me in watching this movie to realize the all the baseball scenes were actually from the same game, and not parts of many games. I had not read or heard of the movie before, and I wasn't actually paying close attention at the beginning.

Once I realized that the entire movie was flashbacks Kevin Costner's character was having during the course of one game that suddenly becomes a real candidate to end up as a "perfect game", I got more interested. Not that the baseball result drew me in, the entire idea for the movie happening in flashbacks during a game intrigued me.

The movie is indeed sappy, and contains every cliché, but it works anyway. Romantic dramas are going to have a lot of clichés, there's no way to avoid it. Sports movies are going to have a lot of clichés. So when you put the two together, its a cliché-fest! LOL Still, the performances are engaging and mostly come off as real. The drama at the end of the game has a body of its own. The catcher's promise near the end is something that SHOULD happen in sports, and probably doesn't very often.

Only the last couple of scenes, which happen AFTER the game, break out of the framework of the rest of the movie.

So if you don't like romances or sappy sports movies, stay away from this, you won't like it. Otherwise, its a nice film with some good lessons and a satisfying set of conclusions.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Baseball & Romance, Costner-Style
ccthemovieman-11 April 2006
Boy, is this a movie for New York Yankee haters. The lead character is a pitcher for the Detroit Tigers and played by Kevin Costner, guy who can play the game at a high level, not just some actor faking it. And, of course, his big pitching effort is against the mighty Yankees.

My only complaint, besides the overuse of the Lord's name in vain, is that there weren't more baseball scenes in it, since they were so well done. The best character of the film was the catcher, played by John C. Reilly. There's a big romance angle in here between Costner and Kelly Preston. Some of that was good, some was annoying. Neither of those characters was particularly appealing.

What was very cool, if you have a good surround system, was the sound of Costner's fastball hitting the catcher's mitt. The loud "whoosh" sound was awesome.
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Baseball....movies....cool.
Peach-29 April 2000
Although I didn't like For Love Of The Game the way I liked Bull Durham or Field Of Dreams, it's still a very entertaining film. Directed by Sam Raimi in a very subtle style, this is Costner's best film since Tin Cup. Raimi only shows flashes of his visual theatrics, Costner is very solid and I liked Kelly Preston very much. The way the story is told in the film is very fresh for a baseball movie and this is the high point for me. Baseball is just the background to a very touching love story. I hope this film more than anything else shows Hollywood that Sam Raimi is one of or greatest talents behind the camera.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
great!
mattkratz7 March 2001
A great movie about a great player in a great game. A pitcher about to retire pitches one last hurrah, reflecting on his life as he does so.

Baseball is a game to relax as you watch it, and so is this movie. I rank it with Field of Dreams as great baseball films. To anyone who wants to remember how great baseball is as a game and as a pasttime!

*** out of ****
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So incredibly boring
HotToastyRag24 June 2017
Kevin Costner plays a handsome, famous baseball pitcher who can have any woman in the world, and for absolutely no reason, he chooses Kelly Preston, a bespectacled, mousy, problem-ridden, ordinary girl. Straight out of the Every Woman's Fantasy playbook, a role Costner has shouldered several times over the years. In his own words, she's "a bummer"—that line is my favorite part of the movie—but he just can't live without her?

At two hours and twenty minutes, For Love of the Game is far too long. I kept fast forwarding to get to the ending. She's unlikable, he's unrealistic, the pseudo-sad piano music will drive you insane, and there's not enough baseball to make it an interesting sports movie. Then again, since it really isn't intended to be an interesting sports movie, there's altogether too much baseball, adding to the boredom that sets in as soon as Kelly Preston shows up.

Unless you're angry with someone and want to torture him by sitting him in front of this movie, there's really no reason to rent it. I know that's harsh, but I'm still trying to figure out why anyone, after reading the script, agreed to make it in the first place.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fork-in-the-Road Story Gives Way To Sappy Love Story.
ilovedolby5 June 2005
"For Love of the Game" is the story of one baseball player's final game shown through flashbacks from the meeting of a beautiful woman up to the final game in his career. It is a concept that could have worked if the film had not fallen to the melodrama of its love story. Where it manages to stay afloat is in its portrayal of its principal character, Billy Chapel, played by Kevin Costner.

In one of the opening scenes, Billy is confronted by the team's owner, Mr. Wheeler (Brian Cox.) Wheeler informs Billy that he has sold the team and the new owners want to trade Billy. Since Billy is 40 years old and at the end of a poor season, Wheeler encourages him to retire. Not exactly what Billy wanted to hear on an exceptionally rough morning—his girlfriend Jane (Kelly Preston) never showed up for their dinner date the night before. Soon Jane calls and tells Billy that she is moving to London for a new job and that she can no longer be with him. She tells Billy that all he needs are the ball, the plate and the game to get by.

With that in mind, Billy heads out to the plate in Yankee Stadium to pitch the last game of the season. He throws well but the slightest reminder of the past triggers bittersweet memories, from meeting Jane, the flourishing of their relationship and their ups and downs. Then Billy remembers when he cut his hand in a sawing accident. Thanks to Jane, he manages to get to a hospital and save his hand. But as Billy recovers, he is faced with the notions that he might never throw again. Unwilling to accept this, he pushes Jane away. This is the point in the present that Billy starts to feel the pain in his arm and his throwing becomes a problem.

From the pain his arm, to his regret at loosing Jane, we see Billy struggle to top his career. But he swallows his emotions and pain and remembers the words of his father, "simply play catch, Billy. Just throw the ball." With that, Billy manages to pitch the perfect game. But naturally, one thing is missing, Jane and it all leads to inevitable airport confrontation ending. The problem with this movie is not in poor performances, but rather in the sappiness of its love story. Preston plays Jane as the kind of woman who can make the simplest things complicated, but with a genuine tenderness that cannot be denied. She is quirky but cares for Billy. But as the film goes into a montage of their early years, we see just about every relationship cliché play out. She asks him the foreseeable questions—"Do you believe in God? Have you ever gotten your heart broken?" And my favorite, "Do you like the dark meat or the white meat, because the dark meat is the fatty part and it's not good for you." Between the rolling of my eyes and my cringing at the embarrassment of these questions, I could not help but ask myself, shouldn't they have established all of this long before now?

The biggest problem is the ending. The two kiss, and Billy says to Jane that he loves her. Jane responds, "I never believed it." Billy replies, "Believe it." The two kiss some more and fades out. It leaves you with nothing to embrace and the picture becomes instantly forgettable. You simply want to walk away saying, "Well, there it is."

What I do like about the movie is that the central character is faced with a life changing decision—ending his career, his life's passion. Baseball is what he loves and he cannot let it go. Ironically enough, director Raimi would bring this same concept up in his excellent film, "Spider-Man 2," five years after "For Love of the Game." As Peter Parker/Spider-Man says, "Sometimes we have to give up the thing we want the most to do what is right—even our dreams." That is a tough decision for any person to make when they are part of something they love and for one reason or another, it has to end. In film, if done correctly, this can make for a powerful storytelling riddled with conflict and ultimate resolution. Unfortunately, that is not done here.

"For Love of the Game" is neither entirely bad, nor entirely good. The concept of facing the fork-in-the-road choices work well, and adding a love story was to be expected. However, the film becomes half chick-flick and half a story about moving on. If it could only find a better balance with improved writing, it could have worked out. **1/2 out of ****
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stunning!Captures the true beauty of baseball
onyx-12 December 2003
I think this narrowly edges out Field of Dreams as the best baseball movie I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a few). The concept here is totally brilliant. Costner's character pitcher Billy Chapel is been having a bad day, he finds out that his ex-girlfriend is leaving for England and then finds out that after playing for the Tigers for 20 years the owner is selling the team and he will probably be traded. On top of it all he is playing on a really bad team in the twilight of his career with arm trouble . He has to throw one more game which may be his last ever as he tries to decide whether to retire. The Yankees meanwhile trying to clinch the pennant and the Yankee Stadium crowd is appropriately obnoxious.

And then suddenly he retires the Yankees one after another and is working on a perfect game. This is such a great topic for a movie because a perfect game is so rare that it is one of the most dramatic and exciting things in all of sports but the excitement and tension builds gradually. In the 5th or 6th inning it's no big deal but as you get later in the game the excitement builds and a meaningless game can become more suddenly become more exciting than the 7th game of the world series. I think the star of this movie is really Vin Scully, he has long been my favorite baseball announcer and he really shines here. This is a baseball movie for real baseball fans, you can tell by a lot of little things that they tried to make it as authentic as possible and did a good job. The photography and slow motion are used very effectively and Costner as usual in his baseball movies does a brilliant job of portraying his character. If you like baseball at all see this movie! It will be a classic, 10/10!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyed it on FOXTEL, great show, Costner + Preston excellent
colliver14 October 2001
Saw the movie last night on FOXTEL here down under.

Enjoyed the movie immensely. Having played sport at a reasonable level and having a relationship at the same time, I can understand what might have been going through Billy Chapels mind.

Well thought out movie, good drama, nice romance, top show, baseball scenes were thoroughly creditable
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I had to refrain from standing up and clapping
jonathan.arana17 July 2000
I had to refrain from standing up and clapping. I am a sucker for a feel good movie and two weeks later I am still smiling. I loved this from start to finish, Kevin Costner does what he does best, baseball related Romantic comedies. I just wish now that everyone would go and see it, but it still seems that 'The Postman' and 'Waterworld' weigh heavily on Mr. Costner's shoulders.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A schizophrenic movie
richard-17874 March 2014
This movie is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long, and that's not the worst of its problems.

Perhaps the worst of its problems is that it tries to be two very different movies.

On the one hand, it tells the story of a great major league pitcher, as he recalls the last several years of his life while pitching what starts out as an unimportant game and ends up becoming the most important game of his career. It is the story of a man who triumphs over adversity - pain in his shoulder, etc. - to pitch a last, great game.

On the other hand, it's the story of a man who, off the field, becomes involved with a woman who only causes him trouble. She wants him to NEED her, and by the last scene, though he has pitched a perfect game, which is enough to put most men on cloud 9 for the rest of their lives, he tells her that he NEEDS her, they kiss in what is supposed to be a very romantic public kiss, and one imagines that the producers thought that would win over large audiences of middle-aged women.

I can't watch this movie as a stereotypical woman - that's not how nature made me. I can only say that, for me, the romance was constantly aggravating, because the protagonist allowed himself to become and remain involved with a woman who constantly wanted him to choose between her and his real passion, baseball.

But do many women really expect men to subordinate their non-romantic passions for them and tell them that they NEED them? Not that they love them, which is completely understandable, but that they NEED them? I don't know.

So this is what the movie is about, and it keeps going on, and on, and on, with more incidents. The story simply does not merit going on over 2 hours about this.

If you're looking for a baseball movie, this is likely to disappoint you. If you're looking for the story of a man who comes to the realization that NEEDING a woman is more important than accomplishing something important in his life, maybe this is for you. If you even exist.
The Tigers is the Perfect Team
marychapin303 October 2008
I was happy to see that they picked the Tigers to feature in the movie as the pitcher's team. Billy says...."I've always been a tiger". It's neat to see a player portrayed as being so loyal to his team. Not to say that Cub fans are not great or any other team, but Tigers fans are special. It doesn't matter how the Tigers are doing, they still come out to cheer on their team. Detroit may be down and out because of the misfortunes of the auto industry but when it comes to her sports teams, the support is always there. Detroit fans are more like small town fans than urban. You can be in line waiting to enter Tiger stadium and strike up a conversation with a complete stranger and feel a familiarity that is normally reserved for those watching the local Jaycee baseball team at a local park.
Loved the movie
degray-121 August 2006
Tell me what there is not to like, Great music, great story and realistic baseball scenes. This movie shows the ups and downs of life and mans struggles to overcome them. A real feel good movie in a world that sometimes doesn't. I guess I must be a romantic at heart as I like it when the guy gets the girl and everything is alright in the end. Kostner has been entertaining me for years with movies like this,Postman, Water World, Dances With Wolves, Tin Cup and many others. His movies are maybe not always award winners but at least to me they are entertaining. After all isn't that why we sit down to watch them. This is also a movie that I can watch every month or two. That to me is the real test, some I watch once and pass over the next time through the movie library. Dave
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie will grow on you...
I've watched this movie 2,000 times since it came out 13 years ago and let me tell you, it gets better with age. There are many holes to poke here of course (several sappy scenes that are, quite frankly, severely over dramatic) but there's plenty to love (including the iconic Vin Scully). The best stuff here is the wonderfully authentic NYC moments... Jane's car broken down on the FDR, their discussion on the risers at a north meadow field in Central Park (any New Yorker will recognize that), the shots of old Yankee Stadium (replete with the subway train rushing by the right field bleachers, ruining Billy's concentration), Bob Sheppard announcing the starting lineups (Gus Sinski, number 27, number 27), JFK and the inevitable delays, Vin Scully on the call... all of it priceless if you know what to look for.

You couple that with a terrific score that peaks at exactly the right moment and you have a truly enjoyable film, one that hits the right notes at the right time.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this