Shrek (2001) Poster

(2001)

A Wonderful Achievement
mjw23051 February 2005
Shrek is a wonderful parody of every fairytale story that you can think of, for the kids it has charm, humour and tons of fun, and is a delightful film for them to enjoy. In addition, Shrek has plenty of subtle innuendo and more adult themes running seamlessly along side the story, much of which may pass younger children by, without spoiling any element of their enjoyment; while at the same time enhancing the enjoyment for the older viewers.

Shrek is simply so well created that it can successfully appeal to a huge audience excellently voiced as it is, by Mike Myers, John Lithgow, Cameron Diaz and Eddie Murphy.

Brilliant characters, solid script and hilarious parody, make this film a simply wonderful achievement, and that's without mentioning the awesome computer generated world that houses it.

58 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Left-field fairy tale left us rolling in the aisles
agc11017 June 2001
9 OUT OF 10!!!! We went to catch the matinee preview of "Shrek". We were still giggling by the time we got home afterwards. Two hours later, we dragged a friend out and went back for the evening show. Some of the shock value was lost, but we caught a few of the background sight gags we missed the first time, and anticipation of some of the other scenes had us in tears before they even happened. Interesting to see the different audience reactions of different age groups, too. This is a *very* funny movie, but it should be noted that most of the kiddy humour is on the burp/fart and yucky dining habits level - Shrek is rather closely related to Raymond Briggs' Fungus the Bogeyman without the orange mohawk. The dialogue and main action quips are mainly aimed at adults and sophisticated kids. One little voice in the afternoon audience piping up "WHAT's he compensating for?" cracked me up...

Be warned that this movie is a non-stop send-up of all things Disney. If predictability and saccharine is your cup of tea, you may not like it. On the other hand, if you are cynical about theme parks and like the idea of fairytale classics getting the Monty Python treatment, you'll love it. Every time a scene looks familiar, it means it is about to go pear-shaped. And it's not just old classics that get the treatment. I spotted (mis)quotes from films that are just being released, both Disney and non-Disney. You name it, it gets an affectionate pie in the face at some point in "Shrek".

As a fairytale, however offbeat, "Shrek" is tighter plotted and better characterised than most Hollywood dross.The parodic twists, a love story subplot that owes more to Shakespeare's comedies than fairytale formula, and the "ugly is the new beautiful" Message more than make up for the derivativeness due to extensive quotation.

As for the acting, confinement to voice-overs keeps the egos of Myers and Murphy in check, and they do a fantastic job as the big fat green smelly recluse and the obnoxiously manic donkey respectively. Diaz is great as a feisty princess who reminds me of Lloyd Alexander's Eilonwy crossed with Lara Croft. Lithgow's Farquaad is a wonderful Bad Guy, modelled on Olivier's Richard III apart from his Little Problem being different. And the Fairytale Creatures...excellent, all of them. The graphics, of course, are state of the art for at least another 2 weeks. We're talking freckles, skin pores and stubble, pupil dilation, and amazing light-and-shade. They had to tone down the realism of the humanoids to stop them looking creepily android-like.

Highly recommended, except for overly precious schmalz addicts.
62 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant humor!
J. Phillips (smashattack)8 September 2002
Shrek is completely new. Never has a fully CGI movie taken on the twists, turns, and surprises as Shrek has. It's a full parody of numerous fairytales, and its humor is, well, humor at its best. Grown men will laugh at the jokes of Farquaad's Stature and the hidden meaning behind every little comment. Of course Shrek, like all other movies, has its emotional moments (so what if I lied about it being completely new?). And these moments aren't cheesy or anything. They are kind of funny, but at the time of viewing you won't really feel like laughing. You'll feel like the characters.

Like its CGI, Shrek has taken a new dimension. It stretches out. You're in the movie. No, wait, you're watching a movie. It's so hard to tell. The characters are so real, so lifelike, it makes you feel you're there. The environments are realistic, yet still animated. The wind whispers through the grasslands and the characters' hair; the lightning and clouds are really there... aren't they?

I was stunned and absorbed in this movie. And unlike other movies, it has more than just CGI. It's actually got a plot. And what a plot it's got! This one is totally new. Shrek is ordered to rescue a princess from the fiery keep guarded by a dragon in order to clear out his swamp of the menacing fairytale creatures.

But it doesn't stop there. The movie is full of surprises and stretches on further into what actually happens after. The dialogue demands your attention throughout the movie, and then the dragon comes in. Whenever you see the dragon, you'll know good things are bound to happen (but not necessarily for the characters in the movie). The dragon is a comic relief, but still provides most of the action in the movie. She chases Donkey and Shrek through the keep, she flies to help rescue Fiona from a despicable marriage, and she even has the satisfaction of swallowing a midget.

Now some disputes have arisen about certain things. But I must say what I always say: this is only a movie, and it has no deeper meaning (despite the parodies). Take it as it is. There can be nothing offensive from Shrek unless you have something against overthrowing tyrants and good-natured humor.

I must take a moment to speak about Donkey. He is, and always will be, one of my most favorite characters in the world of movies. Eddie Murphy was, no doubt, the perfect actor for him. He is so funny, so unique, and so... fluffy. What a perfect donkey! His design is flawless and his dialogue perfect. I can find nothing bad about this character.

Shrek is perfect for everybody to see. The little ones will love the vivid colors and lush landscapes. The adults will enjoy this as well as the intelligent humor and deep plot. And no one could dislike the arrangement of songs. They fit really nice into the movie. Harry Gregson-Williams and John Powell's composed music is impressive (especially the theme for Escape from the Dragon).

Shrek is brilliant moviemaking. With a groundbreaking DVD, an all-star cast, great music, excellent graphics, and a great parodized yet original plot and storyline, Shrek is no doubt one of the best movies I've ever seen.
100 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wicked
jaywolfenstien2 December 2003
Shrek is one hell of an animated ride, and right when you're certain you know where to expect the next gag it one ups you. If you need a reason to see Shrek, here is that reason: imagine Eddie Murphy as an annoying not to mention obnoxious talking donkey. Yeah. Eddie Murphy gives Robin Williams a serious run for his money in terms of greatest animated side kick. From there we get Mike Myers voicing a big green ogre, who plays off Eddie Murphy with perfect comedic timing like the two were meant to do this film together.

Shrek is merciless in its humor. Targeting everything from fairy tales to Disney films to narrative clichés to bad puns, sliding in its own commentary, all the while giving the typical fantasy story a few modern twists and turns to deliver a strangely original unoriginal story with original unoriginal characters . . . that doesn't make sense, but Shrek does, does it well, and doesn't care. And you never know where this humor is going to come from, either – either visual gag, musical nod, or spoken dialogue. All three provide their share of narrative and commentary to the concepts in Shrek.

I think the beauty of Shrek is it's taken the typical fairy tale (which all of us have heard), and it answers the silly 'what if . . .' and 'why don't they ever . . .' questions we tend to ask. But that's not the core of the story - the core of this story is the friendship between Shrek and Donkey, which works in a funny goofball, but touching and unique way. If the audience can buy into Shrek and Donkey's relationship to one another, then they can believe entire film (which more or less focuses on the adventure the two share together). True, Shrek has a love theme . . . but it's Donkey and Shrek who sustain the film through most of the picture.

As for Cameran Diaz and John Lithgow, while not on screen as much as our two heroes, still play an important role. I wouldn't want to downplay Lithgow and Diaz who do bring their respective characters to life, but Shrek is a tale about an enduring friendship with a romance story on the side.
33 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Some
onkelmonkel31 May 2017
Body once told me the world is gonna roll me I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb In the shape of an "L" on her forehead

Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running Didn't make sense not to live for fun Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb So much to do, so much to see So what's wrong with taking the back streets? You'll never know if you don't go You'll never shine if you don't glow

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid And all that glitters is gold Only shooting stars break the mold

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder You're bundled up now, wait till you get older But the meteor men beg to differ Judging by the hole in the satellite picture The ice we skate is getting pretty thin The water's getting warm so you might as well swim My world's on fire, how about yours? That's the way I like it and I never get bored

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid All that glitters is gold Only shooting stars break the mold

Hey now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play Hey now, you're a rock star, get the show, on get paid And all that glitters is gold Only shooting stars

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas? I need to get myself away from this place I said yep what a concept I could use a little fuel myself And we could all use a little change

Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running Didn't make sense not to live for fun Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb So much to do, so much to see So what's wrong with taking the back streets? You'll never know if you don't go (go!) You'll never shine if you don't glow

And all that glitters is gold Only shooting stars break the mold
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
State-of-the-art computer animation used to tell a cracking little story
Peter Hayes4 September 2003
Shrek is a green ogre who lives in a swamp, but his king sends him on a mission which he must complete to get his own land back.

You only have to watch ten minutes of this film to realise that this is going to be a classic. Eddie Murphy being employed as a wisecracking donkey was a casting dream and plays well against the more plain Shrek, voiced by Mike Myers.

Ok the plot is old, new, borrowed and blue (all recaps and references to fairy tales), but I don't care. It is all so much good fun and better than that, the kind of thing that can be enjoyed by young and old, male or female. It is really a dream of movie and some brilliant pop tunes are employed that really work fantastically against the images. Real tear-to-the-eye stuff.

A real bliss-out of a movie and all parties should be congratulated for making it so great. A real DVD buyer, because it can be enjoyed over and over again. Bring on the follow up, I can't wait.
34 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shrek is a delight for all ages!
Reneewill512 September 2001
Shrek is a movie like no other. It stands alone in its appeal to people of all ages and in its presentation of comedy, romance, and creative story line. Shrek is a delightful comedy about a crude ogre, an energetic princess, a witty donkey and an uptight ruler. The movie has a brilliant story line, following the path of an initially moody ogre as he discovers friendship and love all in the face of hysterical comedy. The story line is layered for different levels of understanding; it is an enjoyable film for people of all ages. One clever tool Shrek uses to humor the audience is its spoof on other fairy tales. In one scene, Princess Fiona's singing causes a bluebird to explode. And in another scene, the Magic Mirror's description of Snow White is "She may live with seven men, but don't be fooled, she's not easy." While these subtle comedic lines amuse adults, it is the simple humor, such as the movie opening with the ogre sitting in a swamp "farting," that amuses children. The amazing cast of Shrek, including Eddie Murphy and Mike Myers does a great job of living up to their comedic expectations. Shrek has something for everyone; it is a great animated tale that is wonderful for adults and children alike.
68 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Green Power
Bill Slocum10 June 2004
"Shrek" is fun. People who haven't seen this movie, and are wary of seeing what's popular, should give it a try. It's worth watching, and will probably win you over.

Taking a Fractured Fairy Tale approach to a "Beauty And The Beast"-type plot, throwing in a few mild profanities, flatulence jokes, and Michael Myers' over-the-top faux-Scots accent, "Shrek" shows off a very snarky humor, full of jokes that will likely go over the heads of a cartoon's target audience while registering with their parents. 'Sure it's big enough, but look at the location,' Shrek observes upon seeing a giant castle in the middle of nowhere. The kids, though, will love 'Shrek' every bit as much. It's impossible not to be carried along by its merry madness.

Myers, as the title character, is certainly easier to take than he was in his last Austin Powers movie, his voice work registering real tenderness as well as the expected laughs as a misunderstood ogre who would rather tell a group of frightened villagers about the cruelties he will inflict on them and their dead bodies than cause those villagers any genuine harm. He's a bit of a softie, actually, and scared to let anyone know it.

Cameron Diaz is as beautiful to listen to hear as she is to look at in her other films. Her character, Princess Fiona, doesn't have as much room to shine as Shrek (the balance turns out better in the sequel) but she does well with what she's given.

The comic highpoints in terms of voice characterization is Eddie Murphy as Shrek's donkey companion and John Lithgow as nasty Lord Farquaad, who wants to rid his domain of Duloc of all fairy tale creatures. Murphy never stops being funny even as he helps set up key plot moments; in fact he's never been this funny since the first "Beverly Hills Cop" movie. "We can stay up late, swapping manly stories, and in the morning, I'm making waffles," the donkey tells a much put-upon Shrek, and you still laugh the fifth time you hear it. Lithgow just makes you smile whenever he opens his mouth, like when he grills a hapless gingerbread man in such a convoluted way it turns into a nursery-rhyme recitation.

Why exactly Farquaad is grilling this gingerbread man so closely isn't clear, and there are similar plot holes throughout the movie. Shrek may be too tame a character; we never really feel any worry around him. The donkey falls into a relationship with a dragon that screams "plot convenience," and there are strange little bits of cruelty, like turning a frog and snake into balloons, which just is thrown out there and let be.

But the central story, about how Shrek and Fiona struggle to overcome the odds and find true love, is really sweet and well-rendered. The animation is spectacular, a revolution for the eyes in its deep-dish panoramas and remarkable attention to textures. And the jokes keep flying, the major ones as well as hilarious bits of filigree you won't notice the first or second time but reward you for paying attention.

This is not a Disney movie, something "Shrek" makes very clear not only with its PG-13 humor but its knocks at Disney characters like Snow White and at the Magic Kingdom in the form of Duloc, where an array of "It's A Small World"-type dolls lecture Shrek and Donkey on all the things NOT to do. Frankly, "Shrek" could use a little injection of Disney heart, but Disney could use some of this picture's freshness as well. A very charming movie worth your time.
51 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good quality entertainment.
Boba_Fett11381 October 2004
I'm not one of those persons who praises "Shrek" all the time as one of the greatest movies ever made, like many other persons seem to do. Quite frankly I never really understood what the hype was all about. But still you have to give credit to this movie, it's very entertaining and fun to watch over and over again.

A good sidekick is always important, especially in an animated movie. A good sidekick can make the movie better but a bad sidekick can really ruin a movie. "Shrek" doesn't have a good sidekick...it has an excellent sidekick! Donkey is a wonderful and entertaining character thanks to Eddie Murphy who voiced him. The other main voices are provided by Mike Myers, Cameron Diaz and John Lithgow.

Further more I would like to add that I absolutely love the character Pinocchio in this movie.

The story is told in a good way with a nice pace, I especially like how subtle some Disney movies and characters are spoofed. But for some reason I never really found the story in general that very appealing.

The movie is well animated and it shows that DreamWorks is a worthy competitor for Pixar.

The music is good and takes the movie to an higher level and I'm not just talking about the evergreen songs but also about the movie soundtrack by John Powell and Harry Gregson-Williams who know how to compose a good and fun score for animated movies.

Although it's getting more credit than it really deserves, it's still a fun and entertaining animated movie.

42 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A wonderful movie
MovieTrey3 July 2001
I never set the bar too high for children or animated films because adults can never seem to get into them. Adults go to animated films because their kids complain and fuss and drag them to see it with them. Meanwhile, the parent is stuck there trying to watch the movie, but can't because all the children are either asleep or screaming their lungs out and the parent just wants to go see the new action flick playing right next door. It's a waste of $7.00, I know. However, Shrek was a real treat to go to and is meant for an older crowd.

The bedtime stories our parents used to tell us as children and which we pass down to ours is retold to please a much older crowd who grew up with these stories. It's a spoof of all the fairy tales that we all know. However, this story has a wonderful twist to it. There's no prince charming and there's no dashing night to save the day. Shrek is an ogar, who has to rescue the princesses so he can get back his land from the storybook characters that have overrun it.

Mike Myers is witty and brilliant as the voice of Shrek. He allows the role of Shrek to come alive. This probably has to be one of Mike Myers' better films, and the great thing about working as a voice animator is that you don't have to spend three hours in make up and another hour or so in wardrobe. You can just get up at six o' clock in the morning go in say your lines and get out.

The other great thing about this movie is that it spoofs of such movies as the matrix and almost any fairy tale ever made. However, it so original in plot.

Eddie Murphy steals the screen as the talking donkey. It seems everything out of his mouth gets wittier and wittier throughout the entire movie. He brightens up the screen with a zany performance.

Cameron Diaz shines as the princesses. She enlightens us with her witty charm and surprising outbursts. John Lithgow plays the devious prince who sends Shrek on the quest to save the princesses. For some reason John Lithgow seems to have an amazing and talented voice. All in all I enjoyed the film and would give it about a 7. If you liked the movie I would suggest watching There's Something About Mary, Wayne's World, and Austin Powers.
19 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The greatest fairy tale never told.
Jessica Carvalho16 November 2005
Shrek is an awesome movie! Based in the ordinary fairy tales,the main thing here is to break the rules and the enchantment of those stories and show it all in a different way; Why the prince needs to be so perfect? Why the princess needs to be so beautiful?Why they need to live in a perfect castle?Why can't the royals be problematic? All of these answers are more than answered in Shrek. By the way, this is a movie with lots of humor. :)So, be prepare to laugh. (Donkey is annoying, but the biggest part of the fun comes from him!)

Ps: All the cast is great as well. I already know Eddie Murphy's and Mike's(Myers)abilities as comedians,but I could never imagine that Cameron Diaz could be so perfect to do Fiona! Her voice is really cute, and I really cannot imagine a better one for Fiona ,than Cameron Diaz 's voice!
46 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A new Green Giant for a new millenium
spiritualone20 May 2001
Shrek (Michael Myers) is an ogre who lives in a swamp by himself. He wants to be by himself because he is very insecure about his looks and the way he's perceived. Meanwhile, in the kingdom of Farquaad, many of the fairy tale characters that we all know and love including the three little pigs, the big bad wolf, fairies, the three bears and snow white are being banished. On the roster to be banished is one talking donkey by the name of....well, Donkey (Eddie Murphy). Donkey becomes a sweet and hilarious thorn in the side of Shrek. While eating, Shrek is horrified when his swamp is disturbed by the banished fairytale creatures, at the hands of Lord Farquaad (John Lithgow). Shrek learns that in order to get his swamp back, he has to talk to Lord Farquaad. Meanwhile, Farquaad keeps one treasured fairytale item, the magic mirror from Snow White, for himself. He uses it to find himself a princess. The dialogue between he and the mirror is hilarious because it switches to an episode of the dating game with the mirror giving him three choices: Cinderella, Snow "She lives with seven men, but she's not easy" White and Princess Fiona. The knights in full armor coach the prince to choose princess number three, the lovely Princess Fiona ( Cameron Diaz). Fiona is locked in a tower that is protected by a female dragon. When Shrek finally reaches the kingdom o' Farquaad, he is thrown in a WWF wrestling parody that is hilarious. Recognizing his strength, Lord Farquaad makes a deal with the ogre: get me the girl and I will give you the swamp back. Shrek accepts the deal and begins his journey with Donkey in tow.

Shrek is a very clever film on many levels. It's a fairytale in every sense of the word. Listen to the way the lines are written, the way the characters speak, the way the story flows. The guys at Dream Works did a good job with this in that you could close your eyes and the dialogue flows as though you're having a story read to you. What makes this movie clever is the fact that it's a fairytale that spoofs fairytales. For example, in most fairytales, the prince is a tall, dark, handsome, kind and dashing man that isn't complete until he finds his one true love to give his heart to. Yet Lord Farquaad is very short, sort of pale, not attractive, very evil, and lacking in the dashing department. Even his name is awkward in that he calls himself a lord when he is just a prince. In most fairytales, the princess is a beautiful, fragile, dainty and submissive young lady. That isn't the case with our Princess Fiona. She's an up front talkative young lady that kicks butt in a hilarious Matrix parody. The fairytale characters, unlike their particular stories, are at a dead end. Their stories can't end because they have no where to go.

Shrek is a pure stroke of genius. It's campy for the kids and sarcastic and hilarious for the adults. It has a voice ( which a lot of movies forget to include in the recipe these days ) in that it preaches the age-old adage that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. From a technical aspect, the movie pushes the technological envelope. While watching the film and watching Shrek and the other characters move and frown, I was quickly thrown back to the time I saw Disney's Dinosaurs. You will notice a lot of the same computer animation (deep canvas) used in this movie. As for the voice-over work, the best of the best were assembled. At first, I didn't like Mike Myers' voice or Scottish accent at all. It didn't it fit the look of the ogre that was created or the ogre we know from past fairytales. Then I realized that's what the guys at Dream Works were trying to do. They wanted an ogre that no one knew someone you would have to get to know. Once you get to know him, Shrek is very likable. His story is one that has the power to create sequels and spinoffs. The movie has been in the making for a long time. It was reported that Chris Farley was originally intended to voice the ogre. Never the less it is truly a great movie.
26 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Is there a silent version ?
Stabbogaz4 March 2002
Fabulous animation, but utterly destroyed for me by Murphy's incessant unfunny rantings & Myer's appalling 'Scottish' accent.

So bad that I chose to watch the DVD with the French soundtrack. Myers is obviously a graduate of the van Dyke school of accents.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Inexplicably popular, lowbrow hamimation.
napthene13 December 2001
Shrek is, according to the majority of the IMDB, a far better movie than Pixar's recent Monsters, Inc.

Despite this, I still hold out hope for humanity. A spiritless, meagre-plotted exercise in digital imagery, "Shrek" makes its strength on fart jokes and a throwaway message about "inner beauty". The only saving grace Shrek sports is Eddie Murphy's spirited, laugh-out-loud Donkey; unless, of course, you've seen "Mulan", in which he made much the same appearance. Then again, I laughed at "Mulan" as well.

Comparisons with Monsters Inc. are inevitable, but nearly impossible to make, given the drastically different drives displayed in each film. Monsters Inc., for its failings, is, like all other Pixar works, plot- and character-driven, concerning itself with a strong story first and digital spectacle second. Shrek is driven by spectacle, with the plot and character development running a distant second. All in all, not worth the $7.50 it cost to see in a theater.
how very disappointing....
Lu77530 May 2001
Total lack of creativity and originality causes this cartoon to fall flat, despite the strong cast doing voices. Animation was typical computer based style, nothing stellar.

The story was straightforward, with no conflict, or suspense to hold interest. A very disappointing movie experience.
The story of an Ogre, a Princess and a Donkey
Chrysanthepop7 September 2007
Everything about 'Shrek' has probably already been said but here's my little comment. 'Shrek' is definitely one of the most enjoyable flicks. There has been tremendous work put in the animation process. Yet, the makers haven't given the screenplay any less considerations and we are told a heartwarming but relevant story. Though the characters of Shrek, Fiona and Donkey are original (maybe Donkey is from the Musicians of Bremen?), we also meet various fairy tale characters spoofed into the screenplay providing us several hilarious moments.

Among the voice talents, Eddie Murphy steals the show with his loud, expressive and vivacious voice. He also gets the best lines. No wonder Donkey remains the favorite character. Mike Myers is adequate. However, he doesn't seem to get the accent right all the time. Cameron Diaz is good and John Lithgow does his part very well.

I consider the soundtrack a must-buy. It boasts of a compilation of famous song that fairly contribute to the screenplay as background score. The writers deserve more credit for providing those memorable hilarious moments such as Fiona singing with the bird, Donkey and Dragon's affair, the snake and frog balloons and numerous other sketches.

However, on the downside, there are a few plot holes e.g. Dragon's attraction towards Donkey isn't explained and why does Lord Farquaad torture the Gingerbread man? How would the Gingerbread man know about the others? Yet, the main plot of Fiona and Shrek mostly makes up for this flaw.

Without any doubt, 'Shrek' is one of the best family flicks of recent time. Kids will love the colours and the fairy tale characters and grown-ups will love the witty dialogues and intelligent humour and most would love the story.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
These Animation Movies Of The 21st Century Keep Getting Better
ccthemovieman-15 August 2006
I enjoyed this first and second times I saw it and that was enough. By then, the second film came out and I preferred that one over this. My only complaint about this movie was Eddie Murphy's character yakking incessantly. It gets on your nerves after awhile. Give it a rest, Eddie!

The rest of the characters and the film are strictly fun and combination of kids' innocence and some adult humor (which hopefully goes over the heads of kids). Mike Myers' Scottish accent on the lead character "Shrek" is just right. The characters mouthed by Cameron Diaz and John Lithgow did little for me. This is mainly Myers and Murphy's show.

The colors in this animated film are beautiful, spectacular at times. It's just state- of-the-art artwork. The screen sometimes is filled with so many things - especially when all the fairy tale characters are pictured at once - that it's hard to focus on just one. There are lots of extras on the two-disc DVD set, too.

If you liked this, check out the sequel, because it's even better.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Cynical, hateful, topical.
asummerstorm4 July 2005
While many praise "Shrek" as clever for adults and charming for children, keep in mind the extremely long-lasting appeal of classic animation such as "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," "Bambi," "Fantasia," and "Sleeping Beauty," based on timeless tales and hung out to dry by this film. Those movies, did not become timeless because they were funny parodies, or had fart jokes, or projected a sarcastic yuppie outlook onto more innocent, hopeful ideals. As such, this film will be forgotten in twenty years, just like more topical children's' films from twenty or more years ago, like "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes," "WarGames," and "Cloak and Dagger" have been all but forgotten. Nothing this mean lasts forever.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautifully computer-animated fairy tale: a gentle morality play, very skillfully done.
nickfortis26 January 2005
I'm an old dude, 75 to be exact, and in my working days I was everything from a mainframe programmer to a HiTech startup Tech Admin. This sentence is here only to show why I am interested in the productions of Dreamworks and, of course, Pixar. Coming from a computer background permits me to be very, very impressed with the wonderful skill and creativity that go into making movies such as Shreck.

Now then: The movie itself is marvelous! The characters are gentle and funny; there is no gratuitous violence; there are innuendos, of course, but skillfully done in a way that the "libretto" if you will can be "read" at least two levels. The story line itself is charming, and the ending is a real, nifty surprise!

I add here that I've watched this with my younger G_Kids, who loved it; and also with my bride of fifty years, who loved it.

It is in all ways in a class with the best that Mr. Jobs has so far produced, which is saying a great deal.

HIGHLY recommended as good, funny, charming entertainment for a whole bunch of ages.

Nick Fortis Los Altos California
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overrated but not too bad
Elgroovio9 July 2004
I really don't think much of this over-popular computerised film. It is vulgar and unfunny most of the time. But there are enough gags here to keep this film going at a steady and mildly enjoyable pace. Also, Eddie Murphey is in top form as Donkey, Mike Myers provides a passable Scottish accent for Shrek, and Cameron Diaz suits her part too. But if you are looking for good computer animation films then turn to Pixar. A thing which makes me dislike this film more is the fact that at the oscar ceremony a couple of years ago, it beat Pixar's "Monsters, inc." for the oscar for best animated film. "Shrek" isn't awful, but I get a bit bored after a while of watching a grumpy ogre farting and burping his way into the hearts of audiences around the world. 6/10
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lame film that depends on audience familiarity with earlier classics of the genre
DeborahPainter8554 December 2002
I feel like one of the few people in the world who was not impressed by SHREK. Its characters were predictable (for an animated film made in America in 2001), its humor was of the bathroom variety, and its situations, like the one where the donkey teams up with the ogre to rescue the princess, appeared forced and contrived. The music was good, at least.

The worst criticism I have of the film is that it relies very heavily upon audience familiarity with the conventions in Disney films like CINDERELLA, SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS, and even other non-film Disney properties like Disneyland. I got bored with the movie after only 45 minutes, and decided I had better things to do with my time.

I much prefer a stand-alone animated comedy. ICE AGE is a good example.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not perfect, but quite good and hilarious quite often.
Robert Reynolds15 September 2003
This most assuredly is not a perfect film, but it is a marvelous send-up of the fairy-tale genre and the script is great. This has romance, humor, a talking donkey, no car chases and makes fun of The Mouse. What more could you ask for? Movie spoofs and karaoke? It has those too. Most harrowing performance by gingerbread? You betcha! The voicework is spot on and even Eddie Murphy is enjoyable. Great fun is had by all (except Michael Eisner-I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in Eisner's office the morning after this copped the Oscar for Animated Feature). Very entertaining and well worth your time. Most recommended.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A lovable ogre and his donkey friend steal the show...
Neil Doyle28 September 2008
SHREK is probably more fun for adults than children, especially if you can recognize all the twisted elements derived from a whole flock of Disney films or Grimm's Fairy Tales.

The humor is clever, although sometimes crude, and the animation has a 3D look with some very clever special effects, especially for the scene of the fire-breathing dragon chasing Shrek, the donkey and the princess across a rickety bridge over a pit of lava.

The spirit of fun is more evident than ever in the Robin Hood sequence with the Merry Men bursting into song and dance.

Of course, all the voices are expertly done by people like MIKE MEYERS, JOHN LITHGOW, CAMERON DIAZ and EDDIE MURPHY, none of them sounding conspicuously like their real-life selves except for Murphy.

Personally, I still prefer hand drawn animation over all this computer generated stuff, so I'm not the most unbiased person to review this sort of animated film.

Summing up: Funny with an odd sort of charm but terribly overrated by today's generation of moviegoers.
Shrek is not just another Fairy Tale
liz-1878 March 2004
Shrek is an animated film that is original, funny and has an upbeat soundtrack. The main characters are an Ogre named Shrek and a talking donkey. Shrek (Mike Meyers) and his uninvited sidekick, donkey (Eddie Murphy) set out to rescue a princess. The princess has been locked in a castle which is guarded by a fire eating dragon. Shrek was sent on this mission by Lord Farquaad, a very short and evil man. Lord Farquaad is determined to become king and chose this beautiful princess to marry to achieve his goal. Shrek agrees to rescue the princess to get his land back from the evil Lord Farquaad. Donkey tags along because he has nowhere else to go. Donkey has an unlikely love interest, which will play a major role at the end of the movie. Shrek holds our attention even if the plot sounds old. Once the princess is rescued, the movie plot changes from a standard fairy tale to a whole new idea. On the way back to Lord Farquaad's castle, donkey discovers an unsettling secret about the princess and promises not to tell. Of course, the princess falls in love with Shrek, but that is not the secret. The princess's secret is the moral of the story and makes a good ending.

Shrek is an enjoyable movie. It has adult humor, but don't worry, young kids will not understand it. The one liners are very funny. The music is great. The characters are unique and fun to watch. Don't leave the movie before the credits roll, the fairy tale characters do an excellent version of an old Monkee's song.
It's NOT Disney!!
KC Kern15 March 2003
There were several comments referring how this was Disney's worst, or Disney screwed up. Dreamworks made this, and heavily parodies many disney story elements. So get it right before making an uninformed decision and unduely attacking a someone.