Nickel Queen (1971) Poster

(1971)

An interesting film shot in around Perth, Australia in 1970
dltv2-127 April 2009
I worked on this film as a Unit Runner (the very bottom of the ladder!) and drove the cast and crew to the various locations around Perth. I need to confess here and now that I never had a driver's license because I was only 16! I remember waking Googie Withers very early one morning in her hotel room for a make-up call and she tore strips of me for waking her! I was only doing my job. John McCallum (the director) was her husband and he was lying in bed beside her and smiled at me as if to say "she's always this cranky in the mornings!" It was a fantastic experience working on the film and I have very fond memories of filming in and around Perth in 1970.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
35 years later...
Ian Reide27 December 2006
I saw this movie when it was first released, 35 years ago, and only once. As such my recollection is reduced to a few scenes, and a lingering regard.

The film revolves around a nickel mine scam, set in Western Australia. There are a number of squabbles between various participants, each eager to lay their hands on the cash, and a number of very amusing scenes and characters. One of which, and one which has firmly lodged itself in my mind, is that of a topless girl diving into a swimming pool!

At the time of the movies screening I lived in Perth, Western Australia. I remember how startled I was to see places and people (several WA politicians appeared in the movie) with which I was personally familiar.

I hope that someone, somewhere has a copy of this delightful movie safely stored away, and that one day, it will find itself re-released for those who enjoy a light, but entertaining movie, and a fine example of Australian film making.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic Film!
gemma699613 September 2014
Terrific movie- best I've seen in a while. My dad pays a major role in this movie. His first scene is him drinking beer in a pub laughing. He is then shown again in the credits dancing with a pineapple on his head. I can't believe I am a daughter of a movie star. Incredible film-one I will see again and again. Must see! Can't recommend this movie enough Loved it!

2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this