Mummies Alive! (TV Series 1997–1998) Poster

(1997–1998)

A Really Good Show!
Ginger8710 August 2004
"Mummies Alive!" is a really good show. This show started when I was in fifth grade and I used to watch it before I went to school in the morning. I remember being really excited when it came on in the morning and I was really upset when the show left.

My top five favorite "Mummies Alive!" episodes were "Sleep Walk Like an Egyptian", "The Prince and the Presley", "My Dad the Hero", "Reunion", and "The Face in the Mirror". My favorite characters were Presley and Rapses because they were hot. I also liked Nefer-Tina.

Overall I really liked this show and I was sad to see it go. I am glad that they made a video movie of it a year later called "Mummies Alive! The Legend Begins". I give this show 10/10 stars.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Strange, but good show.
cjennings198727 September 2006
This animation was a different take on a different genre. A young boy turns out to be a Pharaoh in a previous life. It is up to a gang of reanimated mummies to protect the boy from a series of events concocted by the evil 'Scarab'.

All of the characters follow the typical norms of a children's programme. The evil character is bumbling, the mummies contain a heroic, intelligent and a strong but thick characters. The programme is probably better for older children (7+),as some of the sequences are violent and younger children would probably not pick up the complex story lines.
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Good show that may frighten some children
Catherine_Grace_Zeh30 July 2006
I used to watch this show when I was a growing up. When I only remember it vaguely, though. If you ask me, it was a good show that may frighten some children. Two things I remember vaguely the opening sequence and theme song. In addition to that, everyone was ideally cast. Also, the writing was very strong. The performances were top-grade, too. I hope some network brings it back so I can see every episode. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that I'll always remember this show in my memory forever, even though I don't think I've seen every episode. Now, in conclusion, if some network ever brings it back, I hope that you catch it one day before it goes off the air for good.
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
With the Strength of Ra!
Reshaela30 June 2000
Mummies Alive is pretty cool! My second favorite show to be exact! The only problem is: How come Rath is so smart! I mean in Ancient Egypt when somebody was mummified they had their brains pulled out! Even so, that just makes it even cooler! I guess all I can say is: WITH THE STRENGTH OF RA!!! note: Ra is the name of the Ancient Egyptian sun god.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Not that bad, really...
ambasosor_lardo25 August 2000
I'd have to say that "Mummies Alive!" is about average for a cartoon series. The story lines seemed good up until the last half season or so before it went out of production. The animation was decent; and the characters were enjoyable. About the only thing I can find fault with is that I don't think some of the storylines were used to their full extent, wrapping up in a "Star Trek ending," where a good story is told through the first two-thirds or three-quarters of an episode and then solved with some quick plot device in the last five minutes. Some of these episodes would have made good cliffhangers had the authors not wrapped them in one.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Not all that bad
kanezion_77715 April 2008
Mummies alive...a show I haven't seen since I was six years old. It features all the standard kids action show necessities... Ancient villain bent on world domination Comic servant useful only to entertain The basic tropes, Heroic Leader, The Hulking Strong man, the tomboy, and the intelligent comic relief.

The animation's about as good as it can get for the early nineties...this show should definitely have a cult following it's not that bad a show...definitely not as bad as

Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills (yes...it is an actual show)

or...god forbid....Dino Squad
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
My Adolescence
m-ozfirat29 October 2016
When I was at the height of my teens in the late 1990s i would love watching this exciting cartoon series on ITV when it aired every Saturday morning. The show was about a Afro-American teenager who was the reincarnation of a boy Pharaoh Rapses - or to be precise Rameses.

The plot was central to this ordinary boy who's mother happened by chance to be a museum curator dealing with Egyptian artefacts. Four mummies each with their own skills and distinct personalities would protect the boy from a determined and astute villain that wanted the pharaohs spirit aptly called Scarab who posed as a influential businessmen whilst the mummies were hidden from public view to protect the boy.

The show was great as it not only entertained me but unlike other super hero programs had a cultural element to it that had the exotic appeal of Indiana Jones were the viewer did not have to imagine themselves as a conventional superhero but could adapt to the cultural and thrilling adventures of the show with the familiar but appealing perspective of people from the Ancient world having adventures and living in the modern world with interesting and diverse characters that will appeal to all.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Mummies Alive!
Michael Corcoran1 March 2015
This show was a cartoon about Ancient Egyptians fighting evil for their reincarnated prince, whose name is Rapsees, a made up name that updates the prince to the post hip hop era, just like Nefertina's name. What you have is a show more for your average "Hey Arnold" or "Rocco's Modern Life" fans than for Egyptology geeks, although the references to the "real" ancient Egypt are there. Don't be expecting to ace your Egypt New Kingdom exam with this; the show is more humorous. Of course, like many half-baked nineties cartoons, the plot is a little shallow and lacking and you may find yourself face palming out of embarrassment at some of the "one-liners". In the second episode titled "Sleep Walk Like An Egyptian", yeah, the mummies find themselves battling Scarab's summoned hench...dogs, who are really Anubis, Set, two others, and the Crocodilian/Hippo/Lion lesser demon called Ammut who is accidentally summoned with them. The mummies get the upper hand when Nefertina is about to kick Set into the next world she says "Ready Set? Go!" HAHA! Okay, it's a solid joke. But there are just too many of these and some of them more often than not fall flat on their face. Still the show is fun to look at in the perspective of Ancient Egyptians "really" trying to protect their prince, who is a modern kid. The idea is good, it's just gets a little too silly with some of the jokes, which can be bad for a child's mind. Maybe wait till 14 for this one.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?