Corpse Bride (2005) Poster

(2005)

The Corpse Bride Is To Die For
naturenut1 October 2005
I think that The Corpse Bride is a beautiful story. It's about true love and kindness. Johnny Depp is a perfect Victor Van Dort and all the characters are played wonderfully. The animation is superb from facial expressions to a reflection in a tear drop. The ending is one worth waiting for. It's an excellent film that all families should see. I'd suggest not taking children younger than 8 or 9. They might not understand the story line that young, but they'll love the dancing skeletons and the fun songs! That was a surprise: all the songs they sang. If there's one song you must hear it has to be the skeleton one, but also the piano sequence is beautiful as well. Hope you enjoy the film as much as I did!
170 out of 200 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Work of Dark Art
EmperorNortonII5 October 2005
After enchanting audiences with "The Nightmare Before Christmas," Tim Burton brings another stop-motion animated spectacle, "Corpse Bride." In this story, Victor Van Dort, an inept young groom-to-be, can't make his way through his wedding rehearsal. Going outside to get his lines right, he accidentally winds up marrying the corpse of a murdered bride-to-be. The animation is spectacular, proving stop-motion can be good enough to compete with computer animation. Johnny Depp provides the voice of Victor, showing mild-mannered and nervous grace. Helena Bonham Carter is the voice of Emily, the Corpse Bride, giving the dead character lively emotion. One striking element of the movie is the color scheme. In the living world, there is no bright color, making a near-black and white appearance. The story is well-written, and the music is good. Overall, "Corpse Bride" must definitely be seen!
87 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tim Burton Does It Again!
shawn272424 September 2005
In Tim Burton's dazzling Corpse Bride, both Tim Burton fan freaks (I was raised on Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice) and new inductees alike will find something to like here. The exceptional stop-motion animation (which has seen an upgrade since 1993's classic Nightmare Before Christmas) joins with top-notch voice talent (Depp and Helena Bonham Carter stand out here) and typically good score/musical work from genius Danny Elfman to create a wonderful movie-going experience. Yes, this is a movie for anyone - in fact, I think teens and young adults will enjoy it more than younger kids with its dark at times bold humor and fast-paced banter (particulary in the clever songs). NO, it is not as good as Nightmare Before Xmas, but it may be that it would be hard for any film to match that picture. As usual, Tim Burton is always at the top of his game when he sticks to his favorite formula - exploring the darkness of the human soul with off-beat humor. Well-paced and a terrific ending wrap up this well-crafted package! 9/10 stars - it's awesome.
128 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes You Feel Better About Death
classic_sara27 September 2005
Tim Burton's Corpse Bride was one of the best animated movies I've ever seen. My mother and I are so happy that he made another beautiful and original animated film since The Nightmare Beofre Christmas because we waited for it for 10 years. I'm glad to say that the wait was worth it. The Corpse Bride is a wonderful emotional yet fun story with heart. We had a wonderful time watching it in the theaters and we can't wait to go see it again this weekend. The visuals are so amazing that you'd have to go see the movie with your own eyes for its impossible to explain there perfection. The characters all look stunning and there are so many wonderful new characters in this movie that will keep your eyes glued on the screen. The voices of Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter and Emily Watson are packed with fantastic emotion and acting. The score goes very well to the movie and the four songs that are performed sound wonderful. My favorites were "Remains of the Day" made me feel like dancing: it was such a jazzy fun song with the cool voice of Danny Elfmen. And my other favorite was "Tears To Shed" it broke my heart. Helena Bonham Carter sang that song with such heartbreak I loved it! The story is very entertaining and it has so much heart in it and Gothic like background. I loved the dialog some of my favorite lines were "Why Go Up There When People Are Dying To Get Down Here" and "Can A Heart Still Break Once It's Stopped Beating." But the most important thing is that this movie makes you feel less frightened about death. Death in this movie is a lot funner than living and the dead are always having a good time and partying that you feel like dying is not so bad. You should take anyone to see this movie if their paranoid about death it will soften their fears, Overall I strongly encourage anyone to go see this movie. I hope Tim Burten wins the Oscar for best animated movie this year. He truly deserves it! Thank you Mr. Burten for the Corpse Bride, Nightmare Before Christmas and years worth of your great films.
93 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film is 100% spectacular!
a_joining_spark24 September 2005
This film is 100% spectacular, in my opinion. As we all know from the previews prior to the release, Johnny Depp's character must choose between his living and dead brides, essentially. To be perfectly honest, throughout most of the film, I was undecided on who I thought he'd choose and be able to work it out with. This is accounted for by wonderful story-fying and lovely screen writing! Danny Elfman is the musical genius still, not that I had any doubts.

Overall, throughout my viewing of the film, I was in awe, gales of laughter, near tears, or just plain excited! Tim Burton has done it again.

AMAZING FILM!
208 out of 303 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magic Music by Elfmann
Elvison27 September 2005
Corpse Bride works for me on so many levels but outstanding is the integration of music and words. The musical that blended the words and music to such a level that one could hardly imagine the film without the composer's contribution. This should be advertised as Danny's production as was the practice of Rogers and Hammerstein, or Irving Berlin or Cole Porter. We have a new art form here: the animated opera. Music is alive and well in the world of the dead. The music in the titles presents themes which continue into the film. An important part of the love story is the interest of the main characters and their methods of expression of emotion via piano music. The characters exist in an aura of sound. Imagine a Russian epic without the Lara Theme or Rick's place without Sam's piano. This film has achieved an identity that says this is music and this is what the movies has to say. All awards to those involved!
92 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Still Smiling at Burton's Talent...
kmlaing3 September 2005
I gotta tell you.Animation films these days are just getting better and better.Tim Burton's directing and vision succeeds once again.For almost the whole movie,I could tell everyone in the theater was enjoying it.

Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter were fabulous voices,the music and songs were just right for the mood,and the story was actually quite different from The Nightmare before Christmas.Altogether it made an enjoyable,clever and funny movie,that I think you will want to see over and over again.Take your friends.Family or relatives to see this classic movie.Trust me you will NOT be disappointed.Or at least I wasn't disappointed
225 out of 335 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another beautiful Tim Burton movie
trickyhappyelf11 September 2005
i just saw this movie at the Toronto film festival. Tim Burton, as with most of his movies, makes the setting and visuals the most important part. And what a beautiful movie it was, the animation was astounding. You could tell that each frame was tirelessly worked on in order to make each little piece have its own distinct look. The plot is unimportant, and cliché, but that doesn't matter. This movie shouldn't be watched for the storyline. The voice acting was very convincing, especially the lead, Johnny Depp, who does a great job as the shy, clumsy Victor. The only character i really didn't think was needed was the worm, who was just included just for some childish comedic relief, which took away from the dark mood of the picture. Though not as enjoyable as "Nightmare Before Christmas" it still was a very good animated movie. 8.5/10
106 out of 168 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Nutshell Review: Tim Burton's Corpse Bride
DICK STEEL30 September 2005
Tim Burton and Johnny Depp? Sign me up for it, anytime! I've pretty much enjoyed their collaborations, from Edward Scissorhands to Sleepy Hollow. Hot off the heals from their box-office success Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, their latest collaboration sees Depp lending his voice to Burton's macabre vision in a stop motion animated movie, along the veins of Nightmare Before Christmas (NBC).

The story's a little bizarre, a little morbid, but hey, it's Burton on familiar grounds. The Von Dorts and the Everglots have agreed to an arrange marriage between their children Victor (Depp) and Victoria (Emily Watson), but Victor, fumbling the marriage rehearsals, runs away to seek solace, and accidentally unleashes the Corpse Bride Emily (Helena Bonham Carter, giving the character an impeccable Brit accent). So begins a crazy love triangle of sorts, involving characters from both the realm of the living and the dead.

Surprisingly, Burton managed to squeeze a couple of subplots into this relatively short film, and touched on themes like arranged marriages, what's in it for both families (The Von Dorts are the newly rich, wanting to add prestige to their family name, while the Everglots are bona-fide aristocrats who've gone bust, and need the dough to continue their lifestyle and save face). Different facades of love are exhibited between Victoria-Victor-Emily, one which is the more conventional (and maybe improbable?) "love-at-first-sight", while the other, growing to love a person (though it happened within 24hrs, so what?) You might be able to guess the ending and the relations between some of the characters mid-way through the movie, though some might prefer an alternative ending. If you're acquainted with Burton's works, it's typical of him and his style, so you'll see it coming the way it was, as per his dark visions.

The art and characters are very NBC-like too, with their small heads and extremely long limbs. Stop-motion is difficult to do, and watching it in a digital format brings out the crispness of the figurines. Burton loads the film with many supporting characters, each with its own zany behaviour, and some even spoofing characters from movie classics. Somehow Christopher Lee's Pastor Galswells suffered from LOTR's shadow and always reminded me of Saruman, though I think the reference was unintentional.

And what's an animated flick without humour? Corpse Bride has tons of references, and both physical and dry humour to satisfy both camps. The music's also top-notch, but what can you less expect from another long time Burton partner Danny Elfman? Though you can hear shades of Batman in the instrumentals, the songs and lyrics are really a class of their own, bringing this musical to life, just like what Elfman managed to do for NBC.

Highly recommended, even if it means forking out S$9.50 on a weekend for a less than 80 minutes show. I can't wait for another dark stop-motion animated movie from Burton. Bring it on I'd say!
15 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chopin's Grave
tedg6 January 2006
I liked this a lot, and a large part of the reason is that it is pure a Burton film as we are likely to find.

And when I say Burton, I mean that oddly successful collaboration between him and Elfman colored by commercial realities.

The big picture is that there are very few filmmakers with the skills and courage to be unique, to make movies that only they could. This goes beyond style into the nature of the soul.

If you do not have an interesting soul, you cannot be an artist. If you do not have the courage and ability to reveal that soul in some way to us, you cannot either. So hurrahs for the few in the world of film that do.

In a way, this film is a notion expanded around Ub Iwerks' (yes, that's a real name) "Skeleton Dance" done for Disney and quoted in a couple more hip Betty Boop cartoons. In another way, it is a simple date movie: boy gets girl, boy loses girl by misunderstanding, boy gets girl back and the thing ends in a wedding.

And also in a way, it is a love poem to his girl friend. I'm fascinated by these things, where a talented director (usually a man) can shape the image of the woman he loves. Films DO influence how we think of love, but this is more genuine and powerful than any of them, this real love that shines through purely cinematic means. Just think about casting the woman you love as a corpse! She is as alluring here as she has even been.

But beyond that is something that is more lasting, the business between Depp and Burton. Johnny is a fine actor, but many fine actors don't get the opportunity to explore new and unknown corners of darkness. He has and is better off for it. And so are we, though whenever this happens we end up with a new character template that inevitably becomes a stereotype. Depp already mines that stereotype in his Pirate movies.

But what concerns us here is how Burton/Elfman deepens what he has with Depp. He introduces the character as a pianist, and does so with a piano piece. That piece is a skillful blend of Chopin and pop, but more on the Chopin side. For many, Chopin is the most nakedly emotional yet dark soul they will encounter. No humor, only intimacy and passion.

So two clever things were done with this. The first is that the Depp persona (though an animated avatar here) was made deeper by reference to our deepest pianist. The second is that a few musical scenes and effects are set up, all of which reference the scene in some way. There's a sweet musical duet with Helena where they do fall in love. There may be few things more lovely than making love via music played to each other -- with each other.

Ted's Evaluation -- 3 of 3: Worth watching.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exquisite (haven't seen that word in a while)
Cel_Stacker12 October 2005
Burton takes another playful swipe at his stop-motion heroes with this nicely-done treat.

Victor Van Dort (Johnny Depp) is a milquetoast. A bumbling, unlucky dreamer. To make things worse, his parents (multi-talented Paul Whitehouse and Tracey Ullman) are forcing him into the classic "arranged marriage", which is more like a contract with the cash-strapped but aristocratic Everglots (Albert Finney & Joanna Lumley). Things turn around, however, when he meets his intended, Victoria Everglot (Emily Watson) who is actually very attractive, inside and out.

The ceremony is as arranged as the marriage, unfortunately, and the frustrated minister (Christopher Lee) demands that Victor take time out to PRACTICE HIS VOWS. This too, is awkward, as in the midst of his rehearsal, Victor places a ring upon a corpse's poking finger (just the place to rehearse a wedding, a cemetery) thus rousing the title character (Helena Bonham Carter), who leads Victor on a voyage through life and death and an unwitting quest to figure out what he really wants.

Exquisite, yes, and enjoyable, but not without a few flaws. Most of the songs, while well written, feel out of place, and potentially powerful villain, Barkis Bittern (post-Doctor Who Richard E. Grant) doesn't seem to be allowed to do enough. But the good far outweighs the bad--moviegoers who get past the title will find a light-hearted romp that is rife with parody and spoof, from the Harryhausen brand piano to the diminutive character Bonesapart (played by the diminutive Deep Roy). A cameo by Jack Skellington would have been cool (O.K., Disney) but Danny Elfman's Bonejangles does pull off an eye-popping number. Even the unsettling, Peter-Lorre-channeling maggot residing in the Bride's skull threatens to steal the show. Good cast (with many Burton stalwarts, incidentally), with the philosophy that less is more make for a good time.

Like it or not, it is well-worth noting that this film delivers many firsts to film-making, including new-style digital camera-work on refined stop-motion. To animators and film students, this offering comes highly recommended.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Here's the thing
jeslongo5 October 2005
People say that Corpse Bride was horribly boring, etc. HOWEVER, that is because they are comparing this nonstop motion picture with Nightmare Before Christmas. Those who were really upset after the movie, saying that 'it's definitely not Nightmare', you are absolutely right. It is not Nightmare. It's Corpse Bride, a completely different movie. Everything was comparison, Nightmare to Corpse Bride, and yes, I'll admit, I enjoyed Nightmare more. However, when going to see this movie, you cannot compare Corpse Bride to Nightmare because then yes, you will be upset. If they had done another Nightmare, they would have done it years ago. But this is a different movie with a beautiful plot when you think more closely about it. It's a very strong plot of love, betrayal, hate, death, etc and you see that very strongly if you listen closely to Danny Elfman's wonderful music, vocal and instrumental. Basically, go into the theaters with an open mind and enjoy and pay attention to the movie because it truly has strong, very strong, meanings. If truly watching and comprehending, at parts you cry and at others you smile. It's very clear that it is beautifully created and the actors match their parts well, but the storyline is simply beautiful. Do not think about Nightmare because that movie has been finished years ago, but enjoy Corpse Bride. I will not give anything away, so I leave my review at that. Enjoy Corpse Bride people! And for others who think I am Anti-Nightmare or something, I am seriously not. I loved and still love that movie, but just enjoy Corpse Bride without judgement until after the movie.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good animation, but not one of Tim Burton's best
AlsExGal31 July 2015
I probably would have liked this movie more if I had not already seen - many times - "The Nightmare Before Christmas" which was a brilliant and original piece of work. This movie does share some of that movie's qualities - haunting soundtrack, bumbling authority figures, a tall thin protagonist who is searching for something, a heroine whose limbs easily detach, and a dear departed house pet. It also has some interesting ideas of its own - the living looking and acting as though they were already dead, versus the dead living it up, since they have no more worries and forever to look forward to with the prospect of all of their loved ones returning to them one by one. In fact, the only time the living seem happy in this film is when the dead return to the land of the living for a truly unique wedding and instead of menacing or haunting the living, there are tearful and happy reunions. However, the individual characters in this film are just not that interesting.

In short, even though all of the characters in "The Nightmare Before Christmas" are dead, they just seem more alive and motivated than the characters in this film. Also, this movie is darker than "Nightmare" and not as funny, so kids under 10 might find it too intense and probably not as interesting. Thus, although it is worthwhile viewing, I'm just afraid that Tim Burton set the bar too high with his previous animated film.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A new generation of animation
bgood2628 September 2005
I don't care how visually brilliant an animated movie is. These days, if it doesn't have a good story, interesting characters, appropriate music, and competent actors, the movie is going to suck. I want to feel like I'm watching a live-action movie. Fortunately, Tim Burton is a wonderful storyteller, and "Corpse Bride" is an example of his imagination.

Victor (Johnny Depp) is about to meet his bride Victoria (Emily Watson) for the first time. It's early 19th century England, so it is an arranged marriage. During the rehearsal, he keeps flubbing his vows, panics, and runs into the woods. He practices, and when he finally gets it right, he places the ring on a tree branch. Except that it isn't a tree branch. It's the finger of a corpse (Helena Bonham Carter), and she thinks she's now married to Victor! He runs, crashes into a tree, and knocks himself out.

When he comes to, he finds himself in--it's not really Hell, and it's not really Heaven, so we'll just call it the underworld. Bonejangles (Danny Elfman) tells the "tragic tale of romance, passion, and a murder most foul" in a jazzy song-and-dance routine. Victor becomes friends with Emily, the Corpse Bride, and she falls head-over-heels in love with him. But he's not sure if he wants to live among the dead, and he's torn between Emily and Victoria.

The stop-motion animation is the same style as "The Nightmare Before Christmas." The animation has come a long way since 1993, but I liked "Nightmare's" story more. There are some parallels, but contrary to rumor, Jack Skellington does not make a cameo. Overall, this is a beautiful love story with likable characters, catchy music, and, of course, visually brilliant animation.

PG for scary stuff. Most kids who understand death and/or love will enjoy it.
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comes Alive When It's Dead
ccthemovieman-120 January 2007
This stick-figure animated film offers good visuals, inventive-looking characters (that being perhaps the most fun of the film), and a decent story that finished with a very nice ending. There are songs in here but they are only so-so, and certainly not the attraction to the film.

The story starts off slowly, but once the characters went down under into the land of the dead, not only did we finally start seeing some colors other than blue, but the whole film came alive and pretty much stayed that way until the end.

As with good animated movies, there is so much you can see that you can't take it all in. It's a feast for the eyes with all the wild-looking characters and nice drawings. Getting good visuals from director Tim Burton is no surprise; he always comes through in that department. Unfortunately, he also usually delivers an anti-religious cheap shot or two.. Here, the minister is pictured as a sour old guy. Burton also pictures clerics in a negative way, and the occult in a positive way. However, he certainly makes interesting films, no matter what the subject matter, and there usually isn't a lot of profanity in his films. There is none here whatsoever.

Overall, an inventive film and fun to watch once you get past the slow first part.
26 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
'Til Death...
jon.h.ochiai2 October 2005
Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride" is deceivingly titled. Though its lead character is in fact dead, "Corpse Bride" is inspired dark comedy and an unexpected touching love story. "Corpse Bride" is traditional stop action animation—a very time consuming process. A lot of time was also invested in the movie's storytelling. "Corpse Bride" is a macabre fairy tale. Director Tim Burton is either hit or miss for me. Burton as usual is absurd and eccentric, but here he also follows a conventional fairy tale in spirit. This is largely due to the screenplay by John August, Pamela Pettler, and Caroline Thompson. Their crafted tale is funny, clever, and also in love with its characters. Burton's "Corpse Bride" is all hit. An almost unrecognizable Johnny Depp voices Victor Van Dort the young man who inadvertently "marries" the Corpse Bride (voiced by the wonderful Helena Bonham Carter). Being that they are literally from different worlds—one being that of the living—their future is cursed, so to speak. Their believable love story ultimately makes "Corpse Bride" this wildly funny dark fairy tale about love and selflessness. Very cool stuff.

Victor (Depp) is victim of an arranged marriage to Victoria Everglot (the very charming and strong Emily Watson) of the noble, but bankrupt Everglot family. The Van Dorts are the nouveau rich, in search of title. Hence this marriage fulfills title and wealth. Win. Win. You would think. During the rehearsal a suspicious relative Barkis Bittern (Richard E. Grant) arrives a day early. Even his name is unsavory. Although Victor accidentally finds his soul mate in Victoria, he can not bring himself to follow through with the rehearsal. He flees to the forest. There he professes his vows to his true love, and the Corpse Bride (Bonham Carter) accepts. They leave for the world of the dead—the catch being that Victor still has a heart beat. Victor's stay is both hysterical and just plain weird.

"Corpse Bride" does telegraph a plot point prematurely, but overall the story has a charming and touching twist. Credit its amazing voice actor talents. Johnny Depp gives Victor an innocence and strength of character that is never frivolous. Emily Watson threads the fine line as the "other woman". She gives Victoria great compassion and heart. This is really Helena Bonham Carter's showcase. As she voices the Corpse Bride she is initially unaffected, not realizing her fate. Then there is a visceral sadness when she comes to terms that she must go without love. She poignantly says, "My dreams were taken from me." So does she now take this away from someone she now loves? This really makes "Corpse Bride" a funny, inspired, and special movie. This is Tim Burton's best work. See "Corpse Bride".
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tim Burtons Second Best Stop Motion
zyyxz20 September 2005
I am part of a select few here in the las Vegas area, that have been privy to a advance screening of THE CORPSE BRIDE. I have to say it was one of Burton's best. I used to think his animated short VINCENT, was his second best. Having JUST seen the movie ( no more than 45 min ago ) This movie was just as good as nightmare. Actually, you could see were there are even better moments in the CORPSE BRIDE. ( IE new camera moves ).

All in all, this movie is a 10!! I am going to be seeing it MANY more times before it is let out of theaters. HIGHLEY recommended!! As always, Mr. Burton has NOT let us, his lowly Fanboys down! ;)
33 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Burton returns to what makes him work best...
mentalcritic20 December 2005
In a nutshell, Burton works best when he is at his mildly weirdest. For all seventy-four minutes of The Corpse Bride, we get the Tim Burton who made such gems as Ed Wood or Beetlejuice, as opposed to the Tim Burton who made such unmemorable pieces as the 2002 Planet Of The Apes or Big Fish. In essence, The Corpse Bride is Burton simply being Burton, rather than a big studio filtering Burton through their lens. It is far from perfect, but it is a charming little piece that is really on fire when it works. Much like Ed Wood, Burton brings back a core cast to provide voices for his stop-motion creatures. Some of the voices, such as Tracey Ullman or Jane Horrocks, hardly have any distinction. Others, such as Christopher Lee and Johnny Depp, remind you why Burton chose to work with them in the first place. In fact, it is Christopher Lee's voice acting that steals the show during most of this piece. When his ridiculously-shaped character is present, one almost salivates in anticipation of his next statement. For certain, this is one of Tim Burton's most satisfying creations.

The stop-motion animation is also brilliant, although one has to wonder if the painstaking work done to achieve it was worth the result. Sure, these puppets move so subtly that one could mistake them for real actors if not for their ridiculous body shapes. Observant viewers will note the use of stop-motion legend Ray Harryhausen's name on a piano, but I think that Harryhausen would look at this piece and wonder if maybe just a little too much effort is involved. On the other hand, compared to the so-called ultra-realistic effects of such films as the recent Star Wars episodes or Final Fantasy, perhaps the obvious fakery combined with the smooth and strangely lifelike motion has its own peculiar charm. In that sense, Burton's greatest charm, his ability to mix the absurd and unreal with a grounding in reality, is what makes The Corpse Bride work. The film is a delight to look at, one more than just one level. The attention to detail in the backgrounds of some scenes alone is breathtaking.

Sadly, the weakness of The Corpse Bride is in its soundtrack, and to some extent its story. I do not know whether this was partly the fault of the theatre I saw it in, which gets worse every week, but critical moments such as when we learn how the Corpse Bride became a corpse in the first place were almost indecipherable. Were it not for an exceedingly obvious plot and some pre-release hype, I would have had no idea exactly what drives the Bride to so doggedly pursue Depp's character. The Van Dorts and the Everglots are about as deep as a puddle, and Barkis Bittern only exists to give the audience something to sneer at. Fortunately, Burton is also wise enough to give this character the send-off that he anticipated the entire audience would be chanting for by the time the film finished. But aside from Victor Van Dort and the Corpse Bride, we know about as much about every single character in the story by the end of the film as we did at the beginning. It is this absence of dimensions that scuttled both Planet Of The Apes and to a large extent Sleepy Hollow.

However, if Tim Burton manages to control his propensity to create shallow characters, he could potentially reach even greater heights than his biopic of Ed Wood. His scene composition and design are beyond reproach. He must also be given credit for occasionally turning to the kind of subject matter that Hollywood would not normally dare touch. It is he who gave us back a Batman who gave a reason for doing what he does other than the opportunity to nance around in a funny suit, after all. Helena Bonham Carter should also be reminded that this is easily her most non-mainstream role since Fight Club, and not coincidentally, also her best. Johnny Depp proves that apart from providing a distinctive or memorable leading man (he doesn't here), he can also be depended upon to put in a solid performance. Anyone who is familiar with Burton's dramatic leanings will have no trouble guessing who Victor Van Dort is meant to be a proxy for. That Depp restrains his urge to make his presence felt in order to fit the wider dramatic picture is a true credit to him. And the animators, of course.

Out of ten, I gave The Corpse Bride an eight. It is not Burton's best work, nor is it the most compelling film I have ever seen. What it is, on the other hand, is a walk through the imagination of a non-standard man that manages to be entertaining and charming as it is also puzzling. And I know I will not be the only one to say that Hollywood needs to make more of those films.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the dead have much more fun!
angelynx-225 September 2005
It's plain to see which side of the life-and-death divide Tim Burton's heart is on. The living, in Cousin Tim's universe, are stuffy, status-obsessed, grey people who frown upon music, deviations from the norm, and the frivolous notion that couples about to wed should--the very idea!--LIKE each other! Whereas downstairs in the land of the dead, skeletal barkeepers sing up a storm, there's hot jazz, dancing, bright colors, and (maybe not so surprisingly) very warm hearts. Heck, the dead even have cuter dogs (a common Burton theme and true again here). Victor, a very proper young man so non-morbid that he collects--and then releases--butterflies, accidentally finds himself married not to his living fiancée Victoria, but to the winsome and lovely Emily--whose only failing as a wife is her residence outside this mortal coil. (Tell ya the truth, though, he's not good enough for her; he's just too uptight, and the never-ending party vibe in the Ball & Socket Tavern seems to give him, well, butterflies.) How did sweet Emily end up a Corpse Bride? Will she be avenged? Can Victor and Victoria find their way back to each other and a subdued, proper, contented (but bloody boring!) life? You will have a great time finding out, cos this is a complete gem, funny, touching, dark and sweet, with the prettiest ending I've seen in years. It really did make me both laugh and cry, and I hardly ever get to say that. Tim, darlin', I forgive you for Willy Wonka; this one will go straight into Goth hearts worldwide and last for ages. (footnote: kids in the crowd we saw it with actually got up and danced in the aisles to the cookin' jazz in the closing credits! ever see THAT before? maybe the dead can even show us living stiffs how to have a good time. =)
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow...
Roo1028913 October 2005
I saw this movie recently, seeing as Tim Burton and Johnny Depp are some of my idols, and i have to say i was never, at one time, disappointed. The animation was superb, and the undertaking to attempting to get every scene up to satisfaction(for something is never perfection) was very impressive. The voices for the characters were well chosen and the design and characteristics of the characters was very vivid and real-like. I am going back to see it this weekend, and am sure the movie will be just as enjoyable. Johnny Depp was very interesting to watch mold this character directly from just working on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and still manage to make this character just enough before falling over the edge. The music by Danny Elfman was again, like always as he tends to pair Burton often, was quite mystical and serenading.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tim Burton does it again!
talbaineric29 September 2005
Wow...what can I say about this great film that hasn't already been said? The story is of a timid young man who accidentally marries a dead woman from beyond the grave, from there, we're taken straight to the Land of the Dead, a vibrant, colorful world where the Dead party 24/7. Not a gloomy place at all, actually, more lively than the Land of the Living, which is shown in dark, melancholy tones.

The character depth is simply amazing! Each character doesn't take away too much from our main characters, Victor, Victoria and Emily (our Corpse Bride). Everything about this movie, from the plot to the soundtrack was incredible! Yes, the soundtrack adds even more beauty to an already wonderful picture.

I am full of nothing but praise for Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. Truly an awesome movie that NEEDS to be seen. This deserves to win the Oscar for the best 2005 animated film!! A must see!!
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horribly Under-Appreciated
baileycrawly11 August 2020
Corpse Bride gets slammed a lot because it's not in the same vein as the bright, kid-friendly, constantly moving Nightmare Before Christmas. Sure, they were both created by Tim Burton, they both have a similar look and they're both stop-motion, but that doesn't mean that Corpse Bride is going to be the exact same movie done a second time. This movie is the result of Tim exploring other venues within his dark imagination, and the final result of this one is quite satisfactory.

This film, while technically a kid's movie (and a musical), is a lot darker, in virtually every way possible. Still, just like with Nightmare, the sets for this film are exquisitely detailed, immaculately constructed with love and attention put into every minute detail. There isn't a single moment of the film that features something that doesn't look like it's right where it needs to be, and that's a testament to the brilliance of Tim and his team. The stop-motion moves with such fluidity that it's easy to lose yourself in the action of the film. Even the fast-moving scenes are handled with such careful precision and professionalism that this film is truly a joy to watch.

Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter work fantastically off each other in this film; the former playing Victor Van Dort, a lovable yet clumsy young man forced into an arranged marriage with Victoria Everglot (Emily Watson), only to wind up unwittingly proposing to a Corpse Bride (HBC).

It's a fun, upbeat - albeit creepy for younger viewers - trip to the underworld, a ticket to experience the world of the dead, complimented perfectly with the music of Oingo Boingo's Danny Elfman, who also did the music on Nightmare. Yet again, his score is hauntingly beautiful, creating the exact emotions within the viewer that Tim intends with each scene. The songs he's crafted are irresistibly catchy and, when they need to be, slower, heart-felt and moving.

This is a movie with a lot of heart, which is a little bit weird to consider for anyone who may not be accustomed to the world of Tim Burton.

While it's not a perfect movie, and it can't be viewed on the same level as The Nightmare Before Christmas, this movie stands perfectly well on its own and is a must-see for Burton fans.
Imaginative love story
dr-achris9 March 2020
Searching for something to watch on Netflix, I accidentally found "Corpse Bride". I was hesitant at first, because my experience with other Tim Burton's movies (Charlie & the chocolate factory, Mars attacks!) was not as good as I expected. But "Corpse Bride" made me change my opinion about Burton's creations; the result is a unique fairy tale, a macabre, bittersweet combination of true love and death. The figures, the music and songs (especially Victor's piano solo), the contrast between the living people world (dull, depressing) and the deads' world (joyful, colorful and restless), all together compose a fascinating atmosphere.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved the movie, but did not like the ending
nema19685 January 2015
Contain spoiler.....

I've just seen the movie last night and had to register here to leave a review for this movie. The movie was very well done. The voice acting and the singing were appropriate and fun. I will abbreviate my review by not repeating what others have already complimented.

I would love to see an ending that takes a different twist. It's very typical and predictable for a handsome prince to end up with a beautiful princess. A typical audience would think that Victor would end up with the living and beautiful Victoria in the end, which is exactly what happened. I saw this movie and was so disappointed that he did not end up with the corpse bride or Emily (I felt so sorry for her character - she was cheated out of her life and had nothing in return). The movie would have more emotional meaning in the end if Victor fell in love with Emily through a progression of character development, after all she shared his passion for piano and may be other things. Instead, he ended up with Victoria, who was just a pretty face. What I'm saying is that the movie could end up like the Shrek where the princess turns ugly to be with her love, rather than beauty and the beast where the prince turns handsome to be with his love. Sacrifice always represent loves more than reward.
Sweet and Funny despite the Title
Imdbidia10 February 2011
A stop-motion comic-horror-romance musical directed by Tim Burton, which has all the elements and icons of the Burton's quirky universe.

The movie tells the story of Victor (Johnny Depp), who is in love with a shy sensitive Victoria (Emily Watson) and finds himself married to the lonely Emily the Corpse Bride (Elena Bonham Carter) due to the release of an old spell. He'll have to find the way to leave the underworld and his unwanted dead wife, and return to the real world to marry sweet Victoria.

The movie mixes the moods of the classic Charles Dickens's novels and the 18th-19th century horror stories, and is sprinkled with a great sense of humor and a few winks to the adult viewer. The colors and backgrounds are beautiful, with a mix of the dark bright colors and precious quirky design that characterizes Burton's design.

The characters are physically well designed, his personalities well constructed and brought to live, and they are very witty and charming with those English and Scottish accents. The dubbing is excellent and helps the characters to come to live; you won't recognizer the famous actors behind the characters, which says a lot about the good job they do dubbing them.

The musical numbers are brilliant and funny, hilarious sometimes.

A very entertaining engaging animation movie for both adults and youngsters - Very sweet and funny despite the title. A classic of the stop-motion animation, perfect for Halloween.