Titan A.E. (2000) Poster

(2000)

Story doesn't matter - What a journey!
kbumbulis19 December 2000
After reading a number of negative reviews of this film, I went ahead and bought the DVD. I had read that, although the movie was mediocre, it was the kind of film that's great for showing off your DVD player.

I am thrilled to own this movie.

True enough, the story is cliched. Yet I didn't think about it for a second while I watched the film unfold. I was completely caught up in everything I saw on the screen. If it was a slow scene, I just gazed at the beautiful eye candy. And during the incredibly inventive action scenes, I was surprised to find myself at the edge of my seat.

There are some who say that the mix of 3d and traditional 2d animation didn't work. I couldn't disagree more. There are times when the two styles were a glaring contrast. Yet, as the movie progressed, the two became as one to my eyes. I have no problem calling this a revolutionary step forward in animation.

I loved A Bug's Life and Toy Story. But this trip, in my eyes blew those films away.

Finally, though I wouldn't consider this film 'adult' by any means, the slighter darker tone made it much more accessible as an adult viewer. Every year I sigh when I see a preview for another assembly line Disney film. (Hey, let's dumb down the gothic horror 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' and give him cute sidekicks!) The look of Disney films hasn't changed in years. (If anything, they look more simple) This film, as cliched as the story was, was visually inspired.

The original Fantasia needed no story. It was an appreciation of music and animation. Let this be the new Fantasia. If you want to experience breathtaking and beautiful animation, I couldn't recommend this any more.
85 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A revolution in the world of animation
Tigrin21 June 2001
I remember a year ago when I went to see this movie. I think of that day as a turning point in my life in how I view animation.

I am surprised I have not written a review for this movie. After reading through every single bad review by every paid critic on the planet and watching this movie fail because of it (taking Fox Animation with it), I have decided it was about time I added my insight into the pile. Kind of late, but bear with me. I know more now than I did then.

First off, the storyline isn't what the critics have brainwashed you into thinking. If you are a sci-fi fan, I guess it is easier to grasp. In the wide world of science fiction, this movie seems to have struggled to find originality and found enough of it. Set 1000 years into the future, Humans have discovered an extremely advanced technology which drives a race of almost indestructible aliens to destroy Earth in it's entirety. A teenage boy is left with the power to find the key to bring humanity back before it is killed off forever. When I saw this movie, I had a breath of relief. Finally humanity isn't the all-powerful! The movie puts humanity in the act of a downtrodden, confused, holding-on race manipulated and shunned by other races. The emotion I felt from the story in this film and the characters in it is extraordinary.

The animation by far is a turning point in the world of animated features. From the start, you can tell the animation is exceptional. Extra time was taken to make the characters lifelike, as well as the environments they are in, the coordinating of colors, and even the shadows from a tree on the character's faces. It's unbelievable. And the 2D animation mixes so well with the 3D animation - it just adds to the thrill of the movie. The scenes in the movie are exceptional - from the ice rings scene with the reflections to the wake angels scene in space.

The characters are just portrayed so well, like I said. The actors doing the voice-overs put so much emotion into what the characters actually felt, and the characters portrayed it well. There is a nice variety of characters as well, all the way down to the comic relief of Gune and the angry kangaroo-like alien, Stith.

Overall, this movie just blew me away. I couldn't think for days. The animation, the story, the characters - all of it. And I have gotten others to see this movie, and they agree on it. So next time you are in the video store, not sure what to rent, think about this movie. I guarantee it is in stock and it will change the way you see animation forever.
119 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of the best sci-fi animation ever made. Totally underrated by all!
chrisgiant16 May 2005
This film (To be blunt) is one of the greatest animated sci-fi films ever made. The story is a blast, as are the characters and the visuals are stunning. Unfortunately the movie was highly underrated by critics (But what do they know). Any science fiction fan with half a brain can see this is an intriguing story, and one that the cast is totally committed to. Indeed the actors put on such a excellent performance that you can believe in their plight and really feel for them. Overall this movie is easily able to hold it's own against masterpieces such as Starchaser: The legend of Orin, Fire & ice and other films in the animated sci-fi/fantasy genre.
97 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Outstanding
bat-519 June 2000
Filled with spectacular visions of other worlds, Titan A.E. brings us into the 31st century and into a whole new level of science fiction. The story is pretty simple, a race called the Drej feel the human race is a threat so they decide to destroy us. The only hope for the survival of the human species is a ship called the Titan. Only trouble is, no one knows where it is. The answer lays with Cale, the son of the inventor of Titan. Once Cale realizes what he's in for, we're off on an intergalactic roller coaster ride. We get chases in swamps filled with hydrogen trees and an imaginative hide and seek game in a field of ice crystals. Traditional hand drawn characters are blended in with amazing CGI renderings of planets, ships, and the vast emptiness of space with very good results. Sure there may be some clunker lines here and there but Titan A.E. gives fans of sci-fi what they want. Well worth the price of admission
41 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A truly breathtaking space epic!
Becca-3722 June 2000
This can be a true revolutionary of all the animated films with its real eye-stunning graphics, a very imaginative sci-fi setting, more realistic-looking characters, and plenty of real action and yes, even some blood-spilling violence.

After years of churning out shots of sparkly-starry fantasy like Rock-A-Doodle-Doo, We're Back: A Dinosaur's Story, and Troll In The Central Park, Don Bluth's crew finally comes up with a very gritty, mature science fiction story all about humans being hunted down by the evil aliens who are out to destroy the planet Earth altogether. So a very brave young engineer grimly launched an enormous project that his little son was to carry on when he finally grew up. But it just wouldn't be a very easy path for the young hero to accomplish this great feat that would give a long ray of hope to all the innocent humans hiding out in the outer space. But with the help of a very spunky young female co-pilot, a group of bickering aliens, and a hardened space veteran, he just might...even with all those dread monsters hot on his very tail!

Beautifully made, this sweeping space odyssey really takes GIGANTIC steps to break from all the traditional aspects of an animated film to introduce mouth-droppingly MAGNIFICENT visions of the distant future as well as a more adult approach to storytelling and animation, so it may take awhile for the casual viewer to get used to it...and one day truly appreciate the great changes that is taking place in the whole animation industry.
55 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Don't dis this movie!
Travis_Moran9 July 2005
The first time I saw this I was 13 or 14. I saw it in a theatre with some friends. Most of em didn't really seem impressed but I really thought it rocked. I really like Cale's character. He seemed to "click" as a normal guy you wouldn't mind being identified with. And that Goon character was just fantastic. I really liked the scene with the giant ice crystals, and the sound effects during that scene were awesome. And I noticed this movie had a lot of Starwars references, but who cares. Didn't bother me in the least---in fact I like that kind of thing.

I was sort of disappointed at how this one just sort of dried up and blew away (I don't even think it played a whole week at the theatre). Luckily a friend, knowing I liked this movie, gave me a DVD he'd bought and no longer wanted. So, again, I watched and enjoyed this unappreciated great creation. Somehow it seemed even better now.

As usual, I'll leave all the technical discussions to other reviewers (of which there are a multitude). I try to review on an entertainment level only...yeah, I suppose I'm the shallow guy who only sees what's right up front.

Anyhow, if you care a whit about sci-fi, don't miss this one even if it is animated. It doesn't really have that "anime" feel to it. So if you're turned off by anime, check this one out anyway.

BTW, this movie is great for family viewing.
52 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Visually Stimulating; entertains children and adults alike. *** (out of four)
Movie-1210 July 2000
TITAN A. E. / (2000) *** (out of four)

"Titan A.E." is like a giant looming over movie animation landscape; it is one of the most visually bracing family fantasy adventures to come down the pike in years. The film's animation is wonderfully spectacular, visually enticing and entirely convincing. Directors Don Bluth and Gary Goldman enthrall the audience with a sweeping sense of atmosphere and action. This is the kind of cartoon that is mature to the level in which the characters and set designs could have been replaced with live action filmmaking without changing the movie's perspective.

The production takes place twenty-eight years after the third millennium. Planet Earth has been demolished by a cruel species called the Drej, who fear the potential intelligence of the human race. Cale (voiced by Matt Damon) is a young man working as a space dump attendant who believes his father abandoned him when he was a child. Cale doesn't know it yet, but he holds the key to the survival of the human race with a genetically coded map on his hand showing the course to the hidden position of a special spacecraft called the Titan.

Cale meets a young woman named Akima (voiced by Drew Barrymore), who cherishes conventional memorabilia of her late planet. She and her captain, Korso (voiced by Bill Pullman), and the navigator, Gune (John Leguizamo), set out to locate the vital Titan before the evil Drej can exterminate it along with mankind's future hope of existence.

Instead of our traditional, well-developed bad guy that posses serious threats to the protagonist's mission, in "Titan A.E." we receive something of a different sort: an underwritten alien race whose motives and backgrounds are unclear and undeveloped. The movie seems to know of this, however, therefore the film wisely switches villains in the second act. The story provides an interesting twist that supplies us with solid and comprehendible antagonism.

This movie's plot feels somewhat pieced together from previous science fiction fantasies like "Star Trek," "Star Wars," and "Lost in Space." John Whedon, Ben Edlund, and John August vividly detail a story that moves along steadily, but occasionally stalls to build momentum for the character's purpose for achieving goals. There is a scene on a spaceship holding Cale in captivity that feels trite and dual, but the film quickly rejuvenates itself with an exhilarating chase sequence. The film's plot would have been more involving if we knew more about the characters. They seem pretty interesting but we never really get to know them because the filmmakers were more concerned with special effects, a common misconception both animated and live action films.

This production is engaging and well animated; "Titan: After Earth" is smart to jolt a appropriate about of energy into its action scenes and contains sufficient amounts of style and wit to satisfy younger audiences as well to hold the attention of the older, more sophisticated viewers. It is not every day a cartoon is able to do that.
36 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Great movie, Great story, Great visuals. This movie is underrated
R16 May 2005
Titan A.E is a story set in a post-earth era (hence the A.E: after earth, which i thought was a nice touch). Its about the son of a scientist who is thrust upon him the quest of finding the Titan, the greatest ship ever built, and is humanity's last chance.

The movie begins with an awesome scene of the evacuation of earth, and caught me nicely off guard with some great 3D rendering of the Titan (when launched), and the escape ships. The imagination that went into some scenes in the movie, especially the cruising alongside the wake angels, and the ice rinks were fantastic. And the plot, though a bit unrealistic in terms of modern science, was thoroughly refreshing in concept. And its got just the right balance of action to move it quickly from a kids film to a good sci-fi show for slightly older audiences.

Titan A.E is a great film. It has a story that's original and neatly executed. It brought about some great 3D rendering in a time where animation was primarily 2D. Its got good character development with a nice twist in the middle. And its also got a fine soundtrack, which I love to listen to.

Go watch this movie. You will not be disappointed.
55 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Boilerplate story but good characters and incredible visuals
Ed Uthman19 June 2000
The storyline of TITAN A.E. follows standard mythical canon: unlikely youthful hero from the boondocks is forced to follow his destiny and struggle against overwhelming odds to save his people. No surprises there, to be sure, but God is in the details, and the details is where this film excels. I can't say enough good about the animation and visual artistry--it's the best ever. Hopefully this will raise the bar for animated feature films. After forty-odd years, I have had enough of the formulaic Disney approach.

I would also give TITAN A.E. high marks for acting and for the musical selections in the soundtrack. This film should make a great addition to any enthusiast's DVD library.

I agree that the plot is rather holey, but I was so busy enjoying the film that I didn't notice at the time.
31 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Interesting effort.
CGA_Soupdragon16 June 2003
Saw this on DVD, missing it completely at the cinema. Which was probably what happened to the audience for the film, as it was difficult to market for any target group. Having seen it, it's apparent that lot of very hard work went into producing it.

I can compare it to a few other sci-fi animated films of recent years...

As ground-breaking as The Last Starfighter was in its day. Though not pure animation, Starfighter showed off what even early CG could do in terms of gimbal-free animation of spaceships and vehicles.

Much, much better than Final Fantasy, as the action is genuinely epic. The story goes places and uses the chosen technology very nicely. Titan is not a boring film.

Very similar to Disney's later production of the Treasure Island book. Disney appeared to have cribbed one or two scenes from Titan A.E. Not nice.

Graphically, it's up there with Iron Giant, using finely animated CG figures mixed with traditional cell animation. The scene where we first see the older Cale Tucker (in space, cutting up junk) is very impressive.

But something bugs me. There was something missing. Iron Giant gave me a sense of wonder, which was achieved by some great character acting, clever pacing and a wonderful story line. At no point was I "taken" by what I saw on-screen while watching Titan A.E.

I think Titan tripped over itself in the drama department more than a few times. Along with the latest Star Wars films, it tumbles along without stopping up and letting the audience know what the characters are feeling. The actors have to have the skills to enable the audience to feel, to immerse. Without that, the action has a risk of becoming incomprehensible.

Pretty, fast-paced, intriguing. But I wish someone would use these toys to produce something great, something big.

Something wonderful.
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Nice Animation, Not-So-Nice Story
ccthemovieman-129 January 2007
I gave this movie two opportunities. The animation is so brilliantly colorful and imaginative, I hated to give up on it. Scene after scene was a pleasure to watch. It's like a well-drawn sci-fi comic book come to life. It's extremely colorful.

But - and it's a big 'but' - the story is so blah and unlikeable to me that both times I viewed this, I went away feeling unsatisfied. The characters are such that I never could get involved about caring what happened. Most of them simply weren't appealing.

There are a few good twists at the end but it's too little-too late to make me watch this again.
19 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Don Bluth's Last Stand
Cinder Entire15 August 2011
Ah, Titan A.E.,this is can be one of Don Bluth's best movies. First for all the dark imagery and sci-fi wonder that was interwoven into it. Second for being a movie that even Disney wanted to rip off of. Not ruin neither Treasure Planet or Atlantis for anyone, but yes they are both kind of rip offs of this movie. But, they are both essentially unique and different plots and ideas. The next thing, I enjoyed of this movie, of which I enjoy of any movie, is the music. I loved the all the songs because they used my favorite band, Lit. I also want to say I liked the female character. I kind of like the fact that she isn't some flighty little thing like all the other girl in his movies. Overall, not a bad film.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Strange but enjoyable...I think you will like it, I did, very underrated
stuartpiles30 December 2005
As a fan of animation of all kinds, for more than 40 years, this is really an odd one.. ...I do not think anything compares in the way of visuals and special effects, in animation. They are so brilliantly done, that it worth watching for the view alone.

Sadly, poor box office ruined the career of a great director Don Bluth..I think it lost over l00 million dollars.

More importantly, if you watch it, will will see a brilliantly animated film, with a decent storyline, not outstanding, but scripted well enough to keep your attention. It is paced well, and intermixed with some excellent music, that was specifically made for this film, most of the music, is a kinda "rock", but it varies.

Color, form, and backgrounds are matched and composed so in such a beautiful way, that any viewing is sure to amaze. Make sure your TV gets a sharp picture, that is all that is necessary to enjoy this film..

The story, action, and interaction between characters is enjoyable, and for the most part unusual, but I would view this just to see what I doubt will ever be seen in animation again..Simply because, no one is likely to spend this kind of money for special effects in animation. Since this film was made, animation has changed, and so has this industry..Enjoy Titan AE. Know it is the last of its kind. I might add, the end of the film gives you a great feeling.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
A fantastic film but highly underrated
thomas-allen104 November 2005
Titan A.E. takes place in the far future and tells the story about Planet Earth being destroyed by a depraved alien species called The Drej who live in fear of the human race.

15 years later, a young man named Cale is called upon by a faithful friend of his father named Korso. Cale's father was a scientist who invented an amazing Earth spaceship called 'The Titan' which has the power to create another planet. Korso warns Cale that the human race is nearing extinction and they must find the Titan before The Drej do for it's humanity's last hope for survival.

Titan A.E. is a great film. I was very impressed by how different it was from other animated films. The storyline is very good and the action sequences are mind-blowing. Examples: The Ice Crystal Scenes and The Destruction of Planet Earth.

The characters such as Cale, Korso, Akima and Preed where really good and interesting. They were so mature and you find yourselves very attached to them, even though there is a lot of betrayal.

I feel sorry that this film didn't do well at the box office. It had so much potential but Fox didn't give it that much support.

Another reason why I like this film is because it is directed by Don Bluth. He has a done an excellent job with this film and how he tried to make a different type of animated film.

This film still remains to be a great science fiction adventure and should have been recognised more.

This Was The Movie Y'all
Grizzly40527 May 2004
This movie was something else . There needs to be a second one man , there's got to be something after that Earth 2 thing. Like the new one is unstable , and is set to implode , or maybe another or of whatever they might be want E2 . But the second would need a lot of stuff to top the first , because the first had great voices , great acting , great action , and it was funny as hell too . So the second would need all of that , but like a whole new bar of everything 100% up. Make it "PG13" , and everything , go directly to the borders of how far a "PG13" movie can go . oh , and the second one needs six very important things "Janet Jackson , Chris Rock & Ron Perlman" . And as for the music you need to call the man Danny Elfman . I mean make "Matrix" look like a real bitch. Nothing bad on my word.
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
a million spent on the eye and not one penny on the ear
mattwakeman7 May 2001
oh dear oh dear. it all looks so lovely and even though matt damon sounds as though he really was in a studio, the sound and music are great. but my god, the script and worse (even) the story...!

a great mixture of computer animation and cartoon action really dazzle the eye and can begin to lull you into a false sense of security...right up to the point in which people begin to actually talk to each other. 'character is action' (so said f.scott fitzgerald) and this is true whether you're talking about the film which managed to close down fox's animation department (i can only hope that they threw away the scriptwriters too) or the film is a 30 second short. and what characters we are given here...

this follows the same well trodden disney path in managing to make any non-human character a grotesque stereotype in the most cliched and lazy way possible. a good case (even apart from the floppy fringed, square jawed all-american hero lead character) is the intelligent buggy character. how likely is it that in a thousand years if youre intelligent not only will you still be a nerd...but that you'll wear glasses?! not really is it. ooops, almost forgot to mention the feisty leading girl, managing to hit all her marks as action girl...with attitude (stop me if you've heard of all of these characters before). the human characters are just as bad. they are all cliches, the bad guy with the change of heart, the evil, wicked fairy queen...ooops, i mean pure energy queen. i can't even begin to imagine what the bad guys motivation was for chasing these layabouts, boredom perhaps.

and then there was the story, or more correctly the non-story. it managed to go all the way from a to b...stopping everywhere in between. part star wars (cliched 'good' vs. nasty old 'evil') and part star trek (cliched characters and cultural propaganda) and is as bad as both of them. no surprises, no twists, no character development (certainly not the leads volte-face in deciding to save the human race...gee thanks mate). just soooo predictable, unengaging and that word again...lazy. heres an idea to anyone who wants to make a good film (notice, good, not just a film but a good film): write a good script. thats it. if you do that then you have a chance. but if you dont have that then you are doomed regardless of whatever else you do.

im sure that many people reading this will think 'give it a break, its just...' and as soon as that word is used then you have no leg to stand on. because if this is a cartoon which wishes to be a film then it must be judged on its merits, i.e. as a film. and it is lacking, badly lacking. it is a film with a story that 6 year olds could follow. forget what it looks like. close your eyes and listen to the dialogue (but not for long, you may go deaf...if you're very lucky) and then tell me if its a good film. maybe fox were really pitching at the family territory with this film but the problem is that the market for this type of film (animated/manga) is just a little too old and sophisticated to really care about a boy who just wants to *sniffle* see his dad again. Akira is being re-relased on DVD in july, THAT is what an animated film should be. that is not to say they should all be disturbing (perfect blue) or violent (ghost in the machine) but to be taken seriously they have to be good. this is not, this is rubbish and should be treated as such. judge with your mind, NOT your eyes. 1/10
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
The Last Greatest Work of Don Bluth
chivasfan2314 June 2007
When I first saw this movie, I was astounded by the amount of work and dedication that was put into the movie. I was younger at the time, but I saw how well the work was done. Great animation, great CGI effects and a good story makes it one of Don Bluths greatest works. The post apocalyptic setting gives it a dark look, but comedic elements and a family look at the movie makes it great for the whole family. The movie has its fair share of adult themes, violence, some sensuality, and language makes it great for the older crowd. There is also the sense of hope that people have in order to create a new world that people can live in. I could go into detail about characters, the setting, but I am sure that other reviewers had already mentioned this. Nevertheless, if you want a great animated film, filled with action, danger, and for the family, then look no further. Titan A.E is greatly under appreciated and everybody should watch it, even if they are not fans of animated films.

Bottom Line :10/10
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
It was the last best hope...
Snow Dog-222 June 2000
... for American animated blockbusters, and now I am convinced that animation will remain a niche genre in this country. The Japanese get Miyazaki, we get Don Bluth, hardly seems fair does it? Yeah, this is a formula movie all right. The plot is threadbare, characters are vanilla, and the villians (named "Drej", how clever) have it in for us Earthlings, apparently just because we're a spacefaring race (uh, what about all the other races?). Two semi-interesting locales are squandered in boring chase scenes, and the Titan itself looks more like a medium-sized space station (hence the Babylon 5 reference) than a potential planet. Sorry, but the whole experience left me as cold as one of those ice rings (and I *am* the Snow Dog, after all).
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Criminally Underrated.
This has to be one of the slickest Sci-Fi films I have ever seen. The plot could have been used in any other Sci-fi film without a hitch, it is that seamless. The characters are well developed and there is quite a twist at the end, although I will not drop any spoilers in here.

The animation is second-to-none. I have yet to find another film that knits CGI and drawn animation so well. The Soundtrack is fitting and it the entire package fits together rather nicely.

I saw this in the cinema, expecting to get another poor attempt at a Sci-fi animation and what I got was an adrenaline and a taste in my mouth that said "Shame really, this isn't going to get the recognition it deserves".

And I was right. A must see for Sci-fi fans.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Better than Heavy Metal II FAKK
naztuup16 June 2006
Saw it in the theater, loved it. Bought it. Got the OST. Loved that too. The story was great, almost JapAnime like, but the art and voice over was a trip back to the first time I saw the original Heavy Metal. Much cleaner, yes, and family oriented if you think about it, but still a little more raw than I had expected. Not so much digital graphics, it isn't Babylon 5. For the old skool people who watched anime in the 80's, got into sci-fi a little too much (LOL), and have kids they want to share their enthusiasms with... this movie is great. Gonna watch it again right now with my ten year old, she likes it too, especially Goon and Akima.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
An animated movie that is truly spectacular
FairlyAnonymous8 June 2011
Titan A.E. reminds me a little bit of the movie Rango (which came out not too long ago) where Rango proved that CGI does not mean a kids movie, Titan A.E. did the same. I remember watching Titan A.E. when I was was younger and it entirely changed my imagination. The movie had great visuals, and while the CGI was probably a little overused because now the CGI is dated, I remember it looking spectacular back then.

The animation on characters in this movie is great. I mean the characters are detailed, and the the aliens are all unique and different. The main character Cale who was a little over 4 when Earth was destroyed by a race called the Drej. His dad was working on something called the Titan project which is the reason why the Drej attacked Earth. The drej are also unique because they can't be destroyed. If one gets it arm shot off, it just regrows it because they are made of energy. The concept of an alien race made of energy was really neat. Either way Akima who remembers Earth even less then Cale seems to cherish everything from Earth.

The movie has really nice backgrounds which really adds to it. The environments and the atmosphere is excellent, and if you have read more than one review than you would know that the Ice scene is amazing. Even today which is 11 years after it was made, the scene is still good looking.

The interesting thing about this movie is that the Drej are never really explained. In most movies there is a clear villain, and you know who the bad guy is. Not in this movie. The Drej are just sort of there. They only want humans dead because they fear humanity could become powerful. Which is another interesting concept: Humans are weak. Once Earth is destroyed humans aren't powerful, they are just drifters and are minorities. They are shunned by other species, and are looked down upon. A different concept.

The side characters are Gune which is sort of a comic relief turtle, toad thing that is smart and kind of your weird scientist character. Stith is a giant kangaroo like alien that is similar in facial appearance to Preed who is the first mate of the ship. Preed is an interesting character because he seems to be sarcastic, and very sly. Overall likable and he does this sort of thing with harms that reminds me of someone reciting poetry.

To me the plot was unique for a space opera. Very few space operas are original and this wasn't extremely original, but it was just very well put together, had good action sequences, and you could tell a lot of work was put into it to make it good. How come this movie didn't do better at the box office or how coming it didn't get higher ratings confuses me. If this movie were the same, but made by Disney the reviews would've been praising it. But sadly this movie was not review well.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of Bluth's better works, and a must for fans of sci-fi and animation
TheLittleSongbird12 April 2011
I am very fond of the movies of Don Bluth, especially Secret of NIMH, Anastasia, An American Tail and Land Before Time, and I mustn't forget the classic short Banjo the Woodpile Cat. After All Dogs Go to Heaven, which is also good despite its flaws however, Bluth's films took a nosedive in quality. I personally didn't hate them, though I do not care really for either A Troll in Central Park or Rock a Doodle(Pebble and the Penguin for me was the least bad of the movies that are considered so). For me, Anastasia and his "swansong" Titan AE redeemed his reputation, Bartok the Magnificent was decent if not great.

About this movie, for any fans of sci-fi and animation, Titan AE is very ideal as it is a spectacular film and fuses these two genres effortlessly together. I do have a problem with the way the movie was advertised though, and perhaps that contributed to the lack of box office success. I will start with the film's best assets. The obvious plus is the animation, which while different stylistically abandoning the hand drawn style and having a more computer-animated approach, is just superb. The colours look absolutely stunning, the characters are very well modelled, the effects are amazing and the backgrounds are incredibly imaginative.

The soundtrack also impresses. The score does wonderfully in enhancing the mood, this score is not as dark or poignant as Secret of NIMH for example, but it is memorable and compliments the action and the like very well. There are some song choices too, all of which are great to listen to and don't interrupt the flow too much. The characters are engaging and have a genuine chemistry between them. They all benefit from some fine voice casting, with Matt Damon and Drew Barrymore doing outstanding jobs with their titular characters and Bill Pullman, Nathan Lane and John Leguizamo are also rock solid.

The script and story aren't quite as good, but they do engage and don't harm the film too much. The script is smooth and manages to be quite clever. The story benefits from a great if simple concept and is very well-paced(not too fast, not too slow), and while there is the odd hole and cliché hence what I said about it not being the film's strongest component, it does draw you in. The action does very well to enhance, some of it is really quite intense. In conclusion, Titan AE is a spectacular and very underrated animated feature. It may have had a mixed reception, had bad marketing and bombed at the box office, but in my opinion it is actually one of Don Bluth's best. 9/10 Bethany Cox
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
3 directors and 5 writers and this is the best they could come up with?
Vincent24 February 2008
This lacks any real quality and has more plot holes than plot.

The characters personalities are all clichés and the designs of them are bland and boring.

The actors do what they can but there is a limit to how much impact the voices can have.

The animation is average to poor, average in the big scenes and poor in the dialogue scenes where the characters mouth and head movements are so over drawn they'd get whiplash and lock jaw if they were real people! Maybe children will enjoy it but even they should find the plot simplistic and unbelievable.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
People expect too much from Titan a.E.
Mat_Zombie10 August 2006
This film is a fantastic under-appreciated gem , and it doesn't surprise me most people didn't like it. Thats because mainstream audiences are getting dumber by the year, as films fall over themselves to try and get as many commercial endorsements (I,robot, blade III etc) and plot twists that add nothing to the story (silent hill). The previous review criticised the animation of the characters but i feel it did the job quite nicely. What exactly do you want, anime style flying through the air with huge open mouths? And at the opposite end of the spectrum this IS an animated film, if they wanted the characters to look ultra realistic they would of used CGI (yawn) or real people.

The characters where likable enough and you could understand their motivation. I found the effects to be excellent and the hand drawn backgrounds did in some parts look a little washed out, but this added to the gritty, worn out feel most of the locations had.

The story was well put together, with an explosive opening (Earth getting blown up is a tough act to follow!). Yes, it wasn't anything completely new, with the hero being arrogant, cocky and wanting to go it alone at the start, but finding himself as he realises he can make a difference. Its not a new idea, but its done in a way which tries to make it feel new. The other characters support Kale well, and unlike Star Trek and most sci fi, the aliens don't look like humans with a extra crinkle on their nose. The idea of humans being nomads was a refreshing change, and before anyone tries to compare it to Battlestar may i remind you this film is now 6 years old.

The Dredj where an OK enemy, being ruthless and i guess their regenerative strength and lack of emotion borrowed something from the Borg.

The character changing sides near the end tried to give the film a third element for the final battle though I'm not sure it was needed. Even so the 11th hour redemption was a nice touch.

Overall the film is enjoyable, with subtle humour throughout, and a diverse mix of likable characters, a really awesome mix of music and impressive effects. Its serious enough for most adults but still has something for mature children. You wont find the characters wearing Converse trainers, wearing an ipod of flying a Ford spaceship. The ending rounds the film off nicely without any sort of crappy attempt at scamming audiences into a sequel for the almighty dollar.

Enjoyable i would say providing your not looking for a film that is too serious and will make you smile.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?