Men in Black II (2002) Poster

Not near as good as the first one
MR_Heraclius22 February 2020
Tommy Lee Jones & Will Smith give great performances, but it is not enough to grasp the attention of its audience as it fails to garner the touch from its predecessor. Men in Black II lacks the originality and goes excessively in too deep on its already familiar settlement.
30 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hasty 'grab-as-much-money-as-you-can' job
philip_vanderveken18 May 2005
Let me just start by saying that I normally like movies with Tommy Lee Jones and / or Will Smith in them. They certainly don't belong to the enormous group of average and unnoticeable actors, but have some kind of style and presence that I really can appreciate. But I'm afraid that's about the best thing I can say about them right now, because what they did in this movie was nothing but a hasty 'grab-as-much-money-as-you-can' job and I really don't like to see that.

"Men in Black II" starts four years later from where the first one ended. Kay has given up life as an agent and has returned to civilian life, working in a postal office, while Jay has continued to work for the 'Men in Black'. While investigating what seems to be a routine crime, Jay uncovers a diabolical plot masterminded by Serleena, an evil Kylothian monster who disguises herself as a sexy lingerie model. With their headquarters under siege and time running out, Jay must convince Kay, who no longer remembers anything of his time with the MIB, to rejoin the agency so they can save the Earth from being destroyed completely.

I admit that some of the special effects were nice to watch, but even that didn't always convince me. Some of the aliens were small masterpieces, others however seemed like a hasty job, unfinished by the people of the computer graphics department. The only possible explanation for that might be that they wanted to save enough money so the profit rate would be even larger. And the computer animations weren't the only one to suffer from that problem. The script writers didn't come up with any new things either. All they did was to repeat what worked in the first movie. It even seems like they didn't have the time to come up with a new and decent plot.

And yet not everything was that bad. The humor for instance worked, not always perfectly but it worked. Jokes like "It came with a black dude, but it kept being pulled over" when they talk about the automatic pilot in the Mercedes were funny. I even liked that dog singing on the front seat of the car, but overall it just wasn't enough to save the entire movie. No, if you are looking for a spectacular new movie that is full of great acting, a great story and some excellent computer animations, than you'll be very disappointed by this one. It just seems like they threw it together in a couple of weeks and that's why I can only give it a 6/10.
58 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
bland sequel
Buddy-5116 July 2002
`Originality,' is, almost by definition, a one-time thing. In 1997, the original `Men in Black' struck a nerve with movie audiences by showing that even a big budget blockbuster, heavily loaded down with state-of-the-art, computer-generated special effects, could still manage to seem light on its feet. The makers of that film pulled off this feat of gravitational legerdemain by coming up with a concept and a script overflowing with creativity, wit, imagination and a cachet of `hipness' to go along with its tone of anarchic playfulness.

Well, five years have passed and we now have `Men in Black II' to confirm what most of us suspected all along: that works that rely on `uniqueness' as their prime selling point are rarely ever able to duplicate their success a second time around. Five years can be a lifetime in pop culture and what seemed `cool' one summer can appear decidedly `old hat' the next. Without that aura of cutting edge newness that defined the original, `Men in Black II' seems like just another loud, over-the-top summertime blockbuster.

Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones are back playing Jay and Kay, agents for the government's top secret organization whose job it is to monitor the activities of the thousands of aliens who have secretly infiltrated earth's societies and to help protect the planet from any possible threat from interstellar space. Smith and Jones still appear to be quite comfortable in their roles and they are aided by Lara Flynn Boyle, as Serleena, the baddest alien this side of Darth Vader, and Rip Torn, delightful as Zed, the slightly cracked head of the Men in Black agency.

Although the special effects in this film are, as one would expect in this day and age, astonishing and virtually seamless, the same can definitely NOT be said for the film's screenplay. The story moves along at a fairly fast clip, but it rarely makes us laugh. In fact, the script comes across as undisciplined nonsense, lacking both logic and coherence. Unlike in the earlier film, we get the sense that literally everything here has been placed at the service of the special effects. There's an awful lot of running and bouncing around but rarely to any point or purpose. Indeed, we end up feeling at the end somehow more exhausted and drained than exhilarated and euphoric. It would appear that director Barry Sonnenfeld thought that if he could just keep the thing MOVING we wouldn't notice that he had nothing new to offer in this retread. It doesn't work. In fact, if `Men in Black II' shows us anything, it is that just because something MOVES doesn't mean that it can't bore us at the same time.
89 out of 128 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More of the same, but just as fun.
vip_ebriega26 May 2008
My Take: Not as wildly enjoyable as the first, but makes a terrific sequel.

Summer movie sequels are usually the victims of the "sequelness". Most sequels to big blockbuster hits tend to simply repeat the success of the first film, and simply recycle the formula of its predecessor. MEN IN BLACK II (or simply MIIB) is no exception. It practically repeats the formula of the first film: Aliens are out again, J (Will Smith) and K (Tommy Lee Jones) are back as partners to fight against it and the whole lot. The formula is copied, but the same cannot be said about the rest of the film. There are new rabbits in this same bag of tricks. Although most innovations are of special effects, MIIB provides some new fun moments in a somewhat formula approach.

Like said, MIIB returns Smith and Jones as the dynamic duo out to stop an alien, a creature called the Kylothian, who takes the form of a lingerie model (Lara Flynn Boyle), who, guess what? Trying to take over the world. of course. This is nothing new in comparison. It's mostly just a retread of the previous film. But few of these "been there, done that" sequels are fun in a different way. This one is, and it's actually surprisingly entertaining. The new script by Robert Gordon and Barry Fanaro contains a number of effective puns which elevates the humor from other formula sequels.

Of course, there are new and colorful special effects from mostly the same crew of the original film. The effects by effects house Industrial Light & Magic and make-up artist Rick Baker are still outlandish and imaginative. They still give us a host of aliens and creatures that we can feast our eyes upon. Not much imagination went to the storyline and characters, but a lot was certainly invested upon the effects and visuals. Kudos for director Barry Sonnenfeld, production designer Bo Welch and much of the special effects crew for providing a colorful atmosphere that bursts with liveliness in an otherwise formulaic episode of summer sequel season. It's the same old thing, but with new fun.

Rating: ***1/2 out of 5.
29 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Very Weak Sequel
sddavis6322 January 2003
As funny as the original MIB was, the sequel proves that the same old thing can get very old and very tired very quickly. I mean, how often can you really find it funny to watch an alien grow its head back after having it shot off? This was a cute gag in the original (and I think we only saw it happen once if I remember correctly.) In this one, it happens over and over again. HEY! AFTER THE FIRST TIME IT'S NOT THAT FUNNY! That's the basic problem with this movie. It doesn't seem to have a lot to differentiate it from the first one, with the result that it's just not that interesting.

Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones reprise their roles as Agents "Jay" and "Kay" respectively, and here was one element of the story that might have made this a fun adventure if it had been developed. "Kay" is retired as this movie opens, and he's been "neuralized" - his memory of having been an MIB agent has been wiped clean. If the story had focussed more on "Kay" and his attempts at re-integrating into the MIB agency, I think this might have been a very funny movie. But "Kay's" re-integration just seems to happen far too easily, and for the most part the focus of the movie is on Smith's "Jay." The problem with that is that I just feel Jones is better suited to the whole MIB persona, and I felt Smith quickly became tiresome without Jones balancing him more fully. (And Frank the dog - another of Jay's "partners" - just didn't cut it. I really wanted that dog to get eaten by the big worm or something. A very irritating character, in my opinion.)

My advice: stick with the original.

50 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Sequel About Money
Michael_Elliott23 May 2012
Men in Black II (2002)

* 1/2 (out of 4)

Boring and bland sequel has Earth coming under attack from a dangerous alien (Lara Flynn Boyle) so Agent Jay (Will Smith) must bring Agent Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) out of retirement. I really wasn't sure what to expect out of this sequel but the very, very, very last thing I did expect was something boring. I must admit that I was really shocked to see how bland and downright bad this movie was as sadly it's yet another example of a sequel to a good movie being about nothing more than money. The original film was smart, clever and funny in regards to the subject matter but this sequel just lacks any sort of originality and it's really nothing more than a copy of the original. What's so sad is that there could have been so many good and interesting story ideas but sadly we're just given a copy of the first film and we even get many of the same jokes. It's funny to think that the jokes worked so well the first time but here they're just annoying and unfunny. I think the majority of the blame has to go towards the screenplay, which is just a mess. It's never funny, never makes too much sense and sadly it's clear that very little went into it. The performances outside of Tommy Lee Jones really aren't all that memorable either. Lara Flynn Boyle has no problems looking sexy but her character is bland. Rip Torn isn't given much to do and the same is true for Johnny Knoxville and Rosario Dawson. The incredibly bad love story with Dawson is just an embarrassment. MEN IN BLACK II even features some very poor CGI effects and in the end this is just a rather worthless movie that isn't worth the trouble.
17 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A huge step down from the original.
Anonymous_Maxine27 December 2002
Sequels are almost inherently inferior to their original films. The reason that a sequel is ever made is because the original film was a huge success and therefore people want to see more, but at the same time have developed high expectations from the original film, expectations which are rarely if ever completely fulfilled. In my opinion, every sequel has a right not to live up to the original that it followed, but Men In Black II abuses the privilege almost as much as Austin Powers has already done twice so far. Roger Ebert makes an interesting comment in his review of Men In Black II, stating that the original was so enormously successful because it was unexpected and we had not seen anything like it, while the second one is a rehash of the original, and now we HAVE seen something like it. The expected result is that, like the two Austin Powers sequels, what we have here is little more than an extension of the same jokes that we saw in the original film.

The entire cast has come back, of course, since this is guaranteed to be a hugely popular film (although at the same time guaranteed to be an artistic failure), and we also see a few more introductions to the cast of actors and artists with flailing careers like Lara Flynn Boyle and even Michael Jackson, who embarrasses himself in the film by playing the part of someone desperately trying to secure himself a position as one of the Men In Black (`I can be Agent M! Pleeeeeeeeeease???'). Naturally, everything that got a laugh in the original film is milked to death here, although not entirely without effect. I thought it was really funny when K blows off Jeebs' head (feeding off of one of the more amusing scenes from the original during J's introduction to the aliens amongst whom he lives), and J asks him how he knew that Jeebs' head would grow back if his memory had not been restored, and K replies, `It grows back?' Not very creative, but certainly amusing.

The movie has its strong points, I am not saying that it was a stone-faced bore, but the problem is that it completely feeds off of whatever was successful about the original film. There is virtually nothing creative presented in this film, it is much talkier and drier than the original and doesn't seem to have a personality of its own. MIB followed an alien disguised as a redneck named Edgar as he tries to get his hands on a galaxy that is small enough to fit on a cat's collar. In the second film, we not only have a charm on a bracelet that is the most sought-after item in the film, but we also catch a couple of overly brief glances at some tiny populations of life forms that are able to fit into an airport locker but are still not able to secure themselves a larger part in this film, which chooses instead to entertain us with a talking dog. How's that again? Why is it that there were so many interesting creatures in the original film but this one gives us a quick glimpse of some fascinating creatures but then tries to distract us with the talking (and sometimes singing) antics of a tiny dog, which had just the right size role in the original film?

Things like this and the fact that the movie had nothing new to add to the Men In Black story bring the quality of MIIB way down, leaving it to tag along behind its predecessor like an annoying little sister. We already know there is going to be a Men In Black III (hey, if they made a second sequel after the ridiculous Austin Powers 2…), so we can only hope that the producers and director will take a little more time in deciding how to entertain us and what kinds of life forms to focus on, because this was entirely overlooked in this sequel. Even the enormously sexy Boyle was not comfortable on her role and therefore unconvincing as an alien villain in disguise (indeed, it was more convincing that the writers were so unconfident in their script that they felt the need to gloss it over with a sexy villain than it was that she was a threat to the MIB), and Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones had little to nothing to work with in their roles. There is still something left to be salvaged in the Men In Black story. Like the story for Hollow Man, there are nearly endless possibilities, but they were unfortunately largely ignored in this film. At least it's all uphill from here
60 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lame & cheesy
jwp-5456722 September 2019
I rewatched this recently, in the lead up to watching MiB International, and geez it was painful. This particular addition to the franchise is one cringeworthy lame moment after another. Compared to the original MiB, which comes across as agents tackling business, the second movie is cheap and cheesy and well and truly missed the mark.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think the makers of the film thought we had somewhere to go.
Aaron13759 May 2003
This movie is the sequel of course to the hit movie "Men In Black". I gave this movie a six, but I felt like being generous (I probably should give it a five). This movie is short. I mean really, really short. There is a short that preceded the movie so that tells you how short this movie is (the short got more laughs than the movie I think). I went to this movie knowing how short it was, but it just went by so fast and the movie was a bit unmemorable that it was a waste of time to drive to the theater. There was no time for character development or much story development. In fact, the opening credit scene itself took four or five minutes. The story has Smith's character trying to get the memory back of Jones character to battle an alien threat. For the most part there isn't much that is funny in this one, but there are a few scenes to make a person chuckle. Then there is the pug dog. I think it had the same screen time as Tommy Lee Jones. It was funny in small doses, but its role was expanded way too much for the sequel. Johnny Knoxville's character was lame as was the main villain, which had looks but no funny dialogue at all. Tony Shaloub is back, and once again his character's role is small and underused. So all in all this is an inferior sequel by all means with just enough to look at to keep you from getting bored. If they ever make a part three, please let them get a director who is capable of making a movie.
29 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones = 1 Of best teams put together , and my list of best teams ain't that long .
Grizzly40524 April 2004
I Have Literally seen this movie 15 times , never gets out of style or old , because it's timeless , eternal , perfect cast ,you could tell when watchin' it that the actors were havin' fun , and not just in it for the payment .

It gets to you , and makes always smile and laugh, ended perfectly with the kick of the door .

And Will Smith does it again with a great song for his movies , he really proves something with his music that he doesn't have to talk bad about anybody , be vial , or anything like that to sell records. There needs to be a number four but they go somewhere else besides New York . And add Dr. Dre as agent D. or agent A for Andre.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Recycled garbage
mage12117930 June 2002
If you've already seen "Men In Black" and "The 5th Element" then you certainly don't need to see this. They just blended these two movies into a crap smoothie. Absolutely no originality, no flavor, no reason to see this movie unless it's free and you are bedridden. Otherwise, go for a walk and save your money.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A rushed, under-written, patronizing cash-in, "Men in Black II" is an ugly, hasty continuation with almost none of the first film's creativity.
Sequels. Sometimes they're good. Sometimes they will take an original and build off of its foundation, expanding the story and further developing the characters. Sometimes they will take us to new places, and explore new themes. Show us a world beyond the confines of the original. Prove to us that they are necessary to tell an on-going story with the characters we loved so much in the first film. Sometimes they are worth it.

Yeah, and sometimes, they are lazy. Sometimes they're astonishingly under-written and over-reliant on clichés and other cheap storytelling tactics. Sometimes they feel soulless and patronizing to the audience. Sometimes they show themselves to be the unneeded cash-in's that they sometimes are.

I think you can tell which of those two categories this sequel falls into. (Hint, it sure ain't the first!)

"Men in Black II" is one of the more disappointing follow-ups to an outstanding original film that I've ever seen. While the creative team of Barry Sonnenfeld directing with Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones starring returns, that lightning-in-a-bottle tragically isn't able to be re-captured here. Instead, we are treated to 89 minutes of contrived nonsense and an endless parade of references to the original film, in a sequel that truly feels written by committee in a studio-executive's office in order to be as unoffensive and broad as possible.

Smith returns as Agent J. While investigating an alien murder in New York City, J comes to realize that the perpetrator in this case (plant- creature Serleena, portrayed by Lara Flynn Boyle in an over-sexualized performance) has ties to his former partner, "Agent K." (Tommy Lee Jones) J is forced to bring K out of retirement and undo the process that wiped his memories, before they re- team to scour the city searching for clues to stop Serleena's dastardly plans.

On paper that may not sound too bad, but in execution, it's pretty dreadful.

The acting is far more mixed in this film. Smith is decent as J, but he feels very flat and forced in comparison to the original film. Like his heart isn't quite in it. The same goes for Jones, who barely seems to be putting effort in. Lara Flynn Boyle is very underwhelming as our villain, and the fact that she's always over-sexualized (introduced to us in a scene that includes a closeup of her rear-end as she walks around in high heels and lingerie) does make the entire film feel sort of misogynistic. Supporting roles by Rosario Dawson, Rip Torn and Johnny Knoxville are generally decent, but the lack of development does harm everyone.

The direction is also a lot more sedated this time around. Sonnenfeld doesn't seem to be having as much fun behind the camera, and the script by Robert Gordon and Barry Fanaro (and probably a team of uncredited ghost-writers and script-doctors to dumb it down for the studio) is far too safe in terms of keeping the development limited and the storytelling far too over-easy to grasp. This is far too simplistic a film for it's own good- it's just J and K driving around, stopping at a location for an action set-piece and a 30 second vignette to further the story... repeated over and over again.

There's also a far bigger reliant on effects this time around, it seems, which hurts the film quite a bit. Although I will admit that the visual effects and creature design by Rick Baker are well-done.

And the big problem is the lack of development for any characters, and the fact that the film over-simplifies and regresses many of them. Agent J is made into an oafish jerk by the script (we find out he's been neauralyzing MIB agents at random, and he seems very closed and cold to his colleagues) and K's back-story and return is very poorly thrown together. He's just sort of a nasty grumpy guy in this film, and the duo's back-and-forth feels more contrived and mean-spirited. New characters are given no development beyond one-dimensional character quirks, so you don't care about anyone.

There really isn't too much else to say about this film. It's far from the worst sequel I've seen, but it's still a radically disappointing follow up to the excellent original. The only silver linings here are the fact that it was able to re-introduce Agent K (though poorly) and the fact that the third film, released 10 years later, was actually pretty darned good and made up for this severe misstep.

As it stands, "Men in Black II" gets and underwhelming 4 out of 10. If you're a fan of the first film, sure... give it a shot. But don't expect much of anything.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Men in cheap suits
For such a belated (and now unwanted) sequel to feel so much like a quick-rehash to cash in on the original's success is weird. This movie had 5 years (and some false-starts) to refine and for the filmmakers to really make it something special for the fans and to pay tribute to the brilliant Men in Black. It never happened.

Instead we have a plot (that doesn't even make sense) so wafer thin it's almost invisible and repeats of old scenes. Always, always, always a bad, bad, bad mistake for a sequel. NEVER homage or try to be smart by repeating scenes. John Carpenter did this with Escape from LA and that was lost on almost all audiences. Just like what has happened with MIB II. I did expect this to be a huge hit. But it's gone largely unnoticed because it's asking for money for old rope.

David Cross (who played the morgue attendant in the original) has the only funny scene and I swear any other laughs will be no more than exaggerated smiles. You'll want to enjoy, but won't. Lara Flynn Boyle is not the uber-[female] her character should have been. And Rosario Dawson has NOTHING to do in her role at all. I don't want to say that she is a bad actress because the part offered her so little to do. Not even so little. It was nothing. Never before in my life have I seen such a pointless character. All she did was stand around with her eyes open in amazement. That's it. Had her character been called Laura MacGuffin instead of Laura Vasquez it would have been a tiny bit acceptable. What IS the deal with that silly 'light' nonsense?

Plus the chemistry between Smith and Jones is gone. It's simply not there and there is no spark. Jones originally didn't even want to do this film (Linda Fiorentino was supposed to return) and he seems like someone totally different. First time round he was wise and crafty. Here he is just a gear in the machine. There's no magic. No comic timing.

MIB II should have been one of those surprising sequels that blows the original out of the water. Like Gremlins 2 for example. Spielberg was producer on that movie too. It came 6 years after the first. MIB II had 5. And it seems like they just hastily threw it together in a couple of weeks. It is so puzzling. And what is even weirder is that the Men In Black Limited Edition DVD has a trailer for MIB II. And that DVD was released in Fall 2000! (ages before this film's eventual release, where they aiming for a summer 2001 release?) And the trailer for MIB II on this DVD is anamorphically enhanced at 2.35:1. But the actual film itself is 1.85:1. I found this to be one of the most strangest things of all. It's practically false advertising.

Oh well, I don't want to give the film 1/5. I really don't. Not when MIB deserves a sequel so much better. And by giving it 1/5 I am, in a way, insulting the original. But I must. Sorry.
30 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you actually know what makes a great movie, you'd know this is a great movie.
melissa-4473 March 2007
Better than the first, Men in Black II is what all blockbuster movies should be: full of talent, full of substance, full of fun and full of effects.

Talent. Look at that list of actors. The talent is there. Johnny Knoxville CAN act, people! He's not just that guy from Jackass! And Danny Elfman for the score? Music plays a very important role in any movie. Elfman plays his part beautifully and his timing is always spot on.

Substance. This is a love story, on several levels. Some would all this a buddy comedy, but it's really a love story. A buddy love story to use the term coined by Blake Snyder in his book Saving the Cat. It's about J and K and and their trials and tribulations of their relationship as partners.

Fun. There is fun even in dramas, the sarcastic kind of fun, but still fun, and in this comedy, there is never a moment that isn't fun in some way. That's just how Barry Sonnenfeld rolls. If it's not the delivery of a line, it's what you see and Sonnenfeld is really good and keeping a lot of humor in the background. (I think it's so you have to watch his movies more than once ;)...)

Effects. It's Men in Black 2! Everything MiB had and more, the sequel's effects are kicked up more than a few notches. There are more aliens, bigger guns, crazier creatures and all the marbles in the universe are still being thrown together to bring the audience a bigger better show.

This movie gets a ten from me. It deserves a ten. It was masterfully written and performed. Read that book by Blake Snyder, then watch this movie a few times and you'll see that this is one of the greats.

And I am a movie snob.

SIDENOTE: Really good special features on the 2-Disc set.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More of the same
andrewm-628 December 2002
Men in Black II contains lots of humour and competently executed visuals, however the story falls short of the original Men in Black. But it's always enjoyable to visit an old friend, even if they aren't on top form.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit disappointing after a fun first movie.
mpinoparz15 March 2020
After watching MiB and then watching this one the next day, I have to say that I'm a little bit disappointed. This one did not hold up as well as I thought it would. I wasn't a fan of the story and did not enjoy the villain. It got boring when they had to go on an "egg hunt" and retracing the steps. I didn't feel any real stakes which is disappointing when I'm watching. The CGI I thought was a step down from the first film. Some of the aliens didn't look as good. Through all of that there were some positives though. I did like Frank and the Worms. I found them very funny and liked some of the lines they had. Also, once again the chemistry between Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones is really good. MiB III is tomorrow so hopefully it closes out the trilogy nicely.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More fun than I remember.
matthewssilverhammer7 January 2020
The Grand Central locker aliens, David Cross's video store, Jones' memory wipe. Unfortunately, the new character additions are less remarkable; the villains are more annoying than they are funny or threatening, & Dawson's character is...just sort of there. Still, MIBII isn't so much bad as it is just a filler episode of an otherwise decent TV series...with an unwanted & quickly forgotten spin-off. It's the Friends' episode featuring "Joey's Interview"...& "International" is "Joey".
Uninspired Sequel
slightlymad226 December 2017
Continuing my plan to watch every Will Smith movie in order, I come to Men In Black 2

Plot In A Paragraph: Agent J (Will Smith) needs help so he is sent to find Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) and restore his memory.

After two great performances, it's disappointing seeing Will Smith back to just playing himself. But those movies under performed at the Box Office and he was in need of a hit movie after 3 flops in a row.

Dull, bland, generic and pretty boring. It doesn't make the most of the chemistry between Smith and Jones, has a weak villain and even the special effects are nothing special.

Men In Black 2 grossed $190million to end the year the 8th highest grossing movie of 2002.
Major Dissapointment!!!
ltuckey22 September 2002
I am very dissapointed in this film, I watched it at the cinema a few days ago and the only time I laughed was when the dog was singing in the car, the rest was boring and I couldn't wait for it to finish!!! I think that it's not a film worth watching...if you want a laugh, just download the trailer.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid, entertaining sequel with magnificent eye-candy
saarvardi15 March 2007
On one of the coolest looking sequels ever, Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones find themselves back in action as secret agents J and K, protecting the Earth from the scum of the Universe. Just like part 1, the theme song ("Black Suits Coming") makes you move your feet, the effects are top notch (the miniature galaxy inside the locker, the subway-eating worm, the post office workers etc.), and the general feel just make you smile. Sure, its nothing too deep or too inventive as the first one – but it's a solid, entertaining sequel with magnificent eye-candy nonetheless and a hell of a time at theaters (first) and on DVD (later). "Let me see you nod your heads (black suits coming)"
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like adding insult to injury...
Proxy139 July 2002
This film is an insult to moviegoers. It wastes your time, money, and brain cells on some cheap laughs and a severely unentertaining plot.

I, personally, am a big fan of Men in Black. Which is, of course, the reason I went to see the second. My rating is based upon these opinions: [1] The acting was as best that could be done with a script like that. [2] The story was long, blasé, and felt programmed. [3] The characters, new and old, were as full of stuffing as Laura Flynn Boyle's brassiere.

Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones' agents should receive a good tongue-lashing for letting them act in this "movie". I am sure that if Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones had read the script before signing on, they would have not participated in this joke of a sequel. They probably thought that since MIB was such a success, surely the writers would come up with a great sequel and make them more money! Jodie Foster had good intuition when ducking out Hannibal, the so-so follow-up to Silence of the Lambs; too bad these actors didn't do the same with their sequel.

Needless to say, I was more than disappointed. This distasteful fad of constant sequels and prequels going around in Hollywood is obnoxious and unnecessary. They are outnumbering and overpowering the originals popping up occasionally, which are doomed to be played down by the press. These excuses for motion pictures are getting increasingly abundant, and are injuring our vision between good movie and bad movie. I just hope that award shows' sight is a bit clearer.

My rating: 2 out of 10 (Not a one only because of the determined acting and very few chuckles it got out of me.)
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can You Say "Third Rate Cash In"?
EdYerkeRobins26 July 2002
It's a sad but true fact that the majority of sequels are made not to continue any stories, but to cash in on the success of the original. With a film as popular as the original "Men in Black", a sequel of some sort was guaranteed, the only question would be when, and whether it would be any good. Five years later, it's come, and it's terrible.

"Men in Black II"'s biggest problem is its profound lack of originality. With the exception of a new villain, everything else is the same. There are no new major agent characters, and the explanation for this phenomenon being so is lame. The majority of the jokes are either directly ripped off from the first film or "spin-offs" or "reversals" of those jokes that aren't only incredibly stale, but not even slightly funny. Since no new aliens other than the villains are added, and there is little of the Men in Black headquarters expanded on, there isn't even the wonder of new dazzling summer blockbuster special effects or fun alien characters provided by the first film. The film's just so bland and boring, offering nothing that can't be found (for much cheaper) in an episode of "Men in Black - the cartoon series". When a cartoon shown before the feature and the intro to the film, a mock low-budget cheesy film, are more entertaining than the rest of the film, that's usually a bad sign.

Even the actors in "Men in Black II" must have realized this, because they put no effort into their characters. An opportunity for romance between Will Smith's J and a witness to an alien attack lacks both chemistry and screen time. A hinted at reversed dynamic between J and Tommy Lee Jones' K, which (unlike the rest of the rehashed plot details) is somewhat interesting, is totally scrapped, leaving us with the exact same relationship as in the first film. In an unsurprising event, "Jackass"' Johnny Knoxville shows in a lackluster co-starring villain role that not only are his 15 minutes long up, but that nobody even cares who he is if he's not trying to kill himself. Were it not for Lara Flynn Boyle's Serleena, there'd be no laughs or interesting moments in the movie at all.

"Men in Black II" is just sad. The first movie wasn't great, but had parts that were enjoyable. This is just a disappointing waste of time and money, which in due time will no doubt influence another, equally disappointing and uninspired "Men in Black III".
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
5 Reasons Why I Like This Sequel Better
ccthemovieman-119 March 2006
This sequel to a popular first film was a pleasant surprise to me. In fact, I think I like this better than the original, much better. Why? Well.....

1 - It is extremely entertaining and just an hour-and-half long; 2 - It has a much softer edge to it with more humor than the original; 3 - the special effects with the variety of little aliens are excellent; 4 - it's easier on the profanity than the first film, making this more kid-friendly; 5 - at 90 minutes the length of the movie is just right.

Yes, the story can be stupid at times, but so was the first one, and the good qualities listed above far outweigh that negative. Tommy Lee Jones is fun to watch again and Will Smith isn't as arrogant as he was in the first movie.

This is a no-brainer played strictly for laughs and it succeeds beautifully in that regard.
19 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Actually made me sad...
BENARES-218 June 2003
Yes, watching this movie did indeed make me sad. Though not because of anything plot-related in this stinking garbage bag of a movie : while the original MIB was camp and entertainingly silly, this movie was so abysmally bad that I was actually depressed after watching it, primarily due to the contemplation that I actually spent money on it. I have seen some stinker sequels in my time, ones that even bypass this movie on the Shame-o-meter, but this one certainly ranks high on the awful level. First off, let's start with Will Smith and how he appears throughout the whole movie like he couldn't even care less about reprising this role. It's like being led by a tour guide through a skull-numbingly boring museum exhibit, with Agent J walking us through the motions of just getting through the movie and getting the experience over with. Tommy Lee Jones shows up, and the producers actually expect us to find some form of amusement or lighthearted surprise that the tables have turned and Smith is now the alien-expert. Whoopie. None of the characters have any appeal whatsoever, none of the alien ideas are innovative or interesting, and experienced actors Smith and Jones look like they'd rather be having reconstructive dental surgery than be in this bomb. The plot is a mish-mash of last-second ideas with a lot of sudden "Oh, by the way, this is happening now"'s thrown in, all the while leaving us to scratch our heads or wonder if there was some advance reading we should have done before seeing it. And why the director thought it would be a good idea to focus on the alien sub-characters from the last movie so deeply I have no idea : JarJar proved that less is better, so the worms and the dog could have given us the same courtesy. Lastly, I know many people think it's funny for some odd and inexplicable reason, but I can only tolerate so much defamation against African-Americans before getting sick, even if it's coming from Will Smith himself : why does Hollywood think it's acceptable to make anti-black jokes? Does Mr. Smith really think it's a good idea to promote the stereotype that blacks are criminals or car thieves? Is he such a desperate sellout? As you can see, I have many, many reasons to feel sad after watching this pathetic film, and if you see it you will too.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.