The Wedding Singer (1998) Poster

This movie floored me
sonata134 December 2002
I'm usually pretty cynical about cheesy movies but this movie absolutely floored me. Drew Barrymore was phenomenal playing role of Julia Sullivan. I've seen the movie at least 30 times by now and her expressions still make me cry, they're just so sincere. I don't know how else to put it. As for Adam Sandler I think that this is his best role yet, he's a real person in this movie not just some overgrown immature goofball. On top of everything it's a brilliant 80s satire, for me its right up there with American Psycho. I understand why someone would have reservations about watching this movie but my advice would be to put your cynicism aside for a couple of hours and just watch with an uncritical mind. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
146 out of 175 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
1980s Flashback to a charming romantic comedy
mdm-1113 October 2004
Adam Sandler (a Wedding Singer) and Drew Barrymore (a waitress) first meet at someone else's wedding. They soon meet again, when Barrymore is making plans for her own wedding (to a total jerk), even though deep inside she feels that she's "settling" for security without true love. Meanwhile Sandler finds out about the two-timing bozo, when the groom-to-be brags about his adventures with every sexy girl that comes along. Secretly in love with Barrymore, Sandler eventually sweeps her off her feet.

Look for a great cameo appearance by Billy Idol. The air plane "proposal" is a sweet highlight, you'll love it! The soundtrack (all hits of the mid 80s) is a nice touch, too. From "Love Stinks" to "99 Luftballoons" it's all there. -- This is my favorite Adam Sandler movie. Treat yourself to a bag-a-laughs and a few mushy moments, this is top entertainment!
52 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Ups and Downs of Love
PseudoFritz31 August 2004
To repeat a theme, I'm not a big fan of Adam Sandler, but I love this movie.

Robbie Hart is a genuinely likable character; he's a person I would like to have as a friend, and he's a performer I would gladly hire to sing at my OWN wedding (Sandler also seems completely comfortable with his character, while even Drew Barrymore sometimes sounds like she's merely reciting written dialogue). Yes, he's a capital-R Romantic, but that seems like a strong qualification for someone who makes his living at other people's weddings. I like the whole idea of a romantic comedy being set behind the scenes of the whole wedding game, and some of the most telling scenes involve Robbie guiding Julia through the preparations with an insider's eye.

Probably the funniest parts of the movie (to me) are those that play to Robbie's broken heart; it's probably the best depiction of the depression of the newly-dumped I've ever seen (in particular, I love the "Kill Me Please" song). Hey, I've been there.

This all being said, however, I think the touch-all-the-landmarks-of-the-mid-'80s approach gets awfully heavy-handed at times. The musical choices, though, were excellent.
51 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awww, the 80's :)
lilcutie1861327 July 2005
Adam Sandler plays Robbie Hart, a wedding singer with only enough money to get by. He was going to get married, but Linda, his fiancé', doesn't show up, and finally confronts him saying that she was having second thoughts. Drew Barrymore plays Julia Sullivan, a shy girl engaged to the wrong man. They meet when Julia is waitressing at the place Robbie works at. They are instantly friends and get along quite well.

This simple plot is expanded by the great and memorable characters and the actors who portray the roles. It is funny and has plenty of memorable lines. And if this isn't enough for you to shout "WAHOO!" the chemistry between Julia and Robbie is right on and I'm surprised they aren't dating in real life. This is a great romantic comedy so just watch it without any questions! It has become one of my favorites.
35 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Retro Movie
daquinofamily25 April 2006
I thought this was a great movie. Having been a member of a wedding band in the 1980's, it brought back great memories of the music, the fashions and the overall aura of that era. Oh my God, the gaudy wedding gowns the screen brides wore. Back then you just couldn't get enough beads or sequins on a gown. Check out the Miami Vice references. The 1980's was definitely the Me decade. I think this is one of Adam Sandler's best performances in a movie. His character had some depth. He and Drew Barrymore seemed like they had some great on screen chemistry going on too. She is just cute as a button in this role. If you want lighthearted fare and lots of laughs, this movie is for you. I hear it's being made into a Broadway show as well. Wish I still lived in New York to be able to go see it.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great entertainment with a lot of heart
The_Void23 September 2004
A little known fact about me is that I'm a big fan of fluffy romantic comedies. Why wouldn't you want to spend 90 minutes or so watching a film; laughing and ultimately feeling good at the end of it? I don't consider fluffy romance films to be at the absolute top of cinema, but they're good fun, and therefore get a thumbs up from me. The Wedding Singer, however, gets not one thumb up; but both thumbs, firmly, up. So, why does The Wedding Singer succeed more than most films in it's sub genre? Is it the jokes? The beautiful female lead? The gratuitous helping of 80's pop songs? No, it's that this movie has a lot of heart; that's what makes it a winner.

Adam Sandler stars as the quintessential 'loser'. He's a wedding singer, and not a very good one either. He specialises in doing terrible covers of 80's songs. It's not the sort of act that I would want at my wedding. His life gets worse one day, his wedding day, to be exact, when someone doesn't turn up. The bride, that is. Now in a deep spiral of depression, our hero doesn't see any way forward. His next gig is a washout and there's love all around him; even his newfound friend, the cute little waitress that works at the same place as him is getting married. And to a man who doesn't deserve her, I might add. I don't think I really need to tell you what comes next, but even though it's a predictable ride; trust me, it's a ride you want to be on.

Adam Sandler tends to be a very annoying actor; and for that reason he is almost universally disliked, but it is undeniable that he is good in this movie. Nobody else could have given the character what Sandler gave him; his performance is both entertaining and believable, and therefore is just right for the movie. Drew Barrymore was also perfectly cast. She is the perfect girl in this movie; all smiles and sunshine, and it's impossible not to fall in love with her. The movie also features great little turn from Steve Buscemi, who provides the film with one of it's funniest moments towards the start.

As mentioned; The Wedding Singer has a lot of heart. From the way that the characters interact with each other, particularly Sandler and Barrymore, it is obvious that they are in love. The movie also has some points to make on the subject of love; The Wedding Singer portrays that being in love is overall better than being a 'Fonz' type, womanising character. The message at the movie's centre is also a worthwhile one; the movie professes that it isn't important who you fall in love with; it doesn't matter whether or not he's merely a wedding singer, all that matters is the love between two people. The movie says that love is all you need; and that is a worthwhile message in any movie. The movie's message is lost somewhat under the barrage of jokes; but it's most certainly there and I for one think that it's a shame that a movie that is entertaining and funny can't be considered in the same league as other, more serious movies with a similar message.

Overall, The Wedding Singer is at the very top of the romantic comedy genre. It will make you laugh, and you will ultimately feel for the characters. The fact that this movie has something to say is only another reason to recommend it; especially as it says it with a great big smile on it's face. The Wedding Singer is not a film that you will want to miss; it's feel-good at it's best.
50 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
To date,Sandler's best work.
SmileysWorld22 June 2004
I've said it before,Adam Sandler does not do great films.He merely wants to entertain us.Though there are times when he has failed miserably,this is not the case with The Wedding Singer.While it does showcase Sandler's usual juvenile humor,this is by far his most likable character,even to date,and the chemistry between him and Drew Barrymore is undeniable. Though this film is not flawless by any means,it is funny and charming just the same.
53 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not the typical Sandler movie
shawn921030 April 2004
The Wedding Singer and Punch Drunk Love standout from typical Sandler movies is two important ways. 1) The humor is subtler in these movies, and Sandler is much more subdued. 2) Critics actually like these two movies.

The Wedding Singer is a pretty average romantic story that wins because of funny performances and the ever elusive "chemistry" between Sandler and Barrymore. This was the first movie that taught me what romantic chemistry was. While you're watching it you not only want the characters Robbie and Julia to get together, but you want Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore to get together. The chemistry is that strong. A reason people, especially guys, don't like romance movies is because often the love between the leads seem contrived and forced. Thankfully, the Wedding Singer steers clear from that, and actually allows you to have an emotional stake in the characters.

Sadly, the movie is slightly forgettable, as it merely succeeds in its goals but fails to impress. However, it's great fun while it lasts and you'll always have a fond, if somewhat faded, memory of the movie.
50 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A very charming movie.
jpw-5551314 August 2019
Drew Barrymore is so sweet in this film. I just love her. The plot is very simple and a true love story. Of course, love wins out in the end

The music is great and adds to the 80's theme of the movie. I know there will be no Oscars presented to this movie but it is a great "feel good movie" and one you would want to enjoy with your sweetheart. Do not miss it.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny Singer!
Moonlyn4 August 2005
This quirky film has everything- lots and lots of comedy, a nice touch of romance, some violence and a hint of sadness now and again. Oh and it also stars 2 of the most charming actors- Drew Barrymore, as Julia and Adam Sandler, as Robbie. Their on-screen chemistry is very remarkable to watch and their individual charm is most appealing. The movie is set in the 80's and is a great nostalgic piece for that time period- in all is cheesiness and glory! Sandler as the Wedding Singer will surprise you with his musical talents. And musicians who have run the gamut of various music-related jobs will have extra giggles. And of course Barrymore will dazzle you with her cuteness and poise. This movie will leave you in stitches! And a must see!!!
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a break from the 'yuck of the world'
claire-mcgrath1 December 2004
I think that 'the wedding singer' is a simple, feelgood movie, which doesn't try to be anything else.

Like Jim Carey, who took many goes to strike the right balance, Adam Sandler is a far better comedian when he stops trying and realize he is far funnier being himself rather than over-the top characters (like the awful 'Billy Madison')and allows his supporting cast to be goofy.

My 10 year old son is a huge fan of all the SNL (90s)crew and their movies, and loved this even more than '50 first dates'. The wedding singer appeals to the those waiting to feel that way about someone and those of us who feel that way right now about someone.

The 'knockers' of this flick would be those that can only relate to the dumped 'Robbie Hart', or have no heart at all!

So if you can relate to loving and being loved (by anyone!), this film will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy. Great to watch with the whole family!!

Just had to add...being a teenager in the 80's probably helped my endearment to this movie.
36 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Drew and Adam = goals!
StarboyNgirl-0419 October 2019
Classic, adorable and the sweetest moments on screen. A longtime favorite of mine, where to this day the flight scene still gives me chills and happy tears. The chemistry between Drew and Adam is every couples dream.

There are many moments that make Adam just become more and more adorable. The music is enjoyable and those meatballs did look absolutly delicious. Drew will always be America's sweetheart, she brought "Julia" to life so preciously.

Overall a great feel good movie, ok to watch with the family if your kids are a bit older. Made me miss my headbands and leg warmers from back in the day :)
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sandler at His Finest
Coxer9917 March 1999
Adam Sandler stars as a hopeless romantic in this warm and witty comedy that co-stars Barrymore as Sandler's love interest. This one is a big surprise for me. It's the funniest of Sandler's films because he seems calmer than in his previous and recent efforts. He's connecting to a character here it's a nice one. Barrymore is quite lovely as Julia. She's actually adorable in the role and the conclusion to the film is one of the most creative endings of recent romantic comedies. Directed by Coraci, who with Sandler, followed this up with the hit "The Waterboy."
22 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet
Quinoa198430 April 2000
The Wedding Singer is the first Adam Sandler flick that guys can take their girlfriends to see. It is a nice (and funny) comedy about a guy (wedding singer Sandler) who has been dumped by his fiancee and is soon falls in love with (waitress) Drew Barrymore who is also engaged, but isn't in love either. It is a nice comedy that almost comes close to a romantic comedy. Steve Buscemi, Jon Lovitz, and best of all, Billy Idol. A+
24 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First Adam Sandler Film I Ever Enjoyed
gpeevers19 March 2019
Set in 1985 it's the story of a wedding singer (Adam Sandler), who is seeking the stability and security of marriage when he is stood up at the altar. On the other side waitress (Drew Barrymore) who is seeking the same and about to marry the wrong guy.

Cute and relatively inoffensive with some nostalgic and very funny reflections on the music and 'culture' of the 1980's. When I first saw this movie upon it's release I went in virtually kicking and screaming after having the misfortune of catching the truly awful Billy Madison on television. But here Sandler is much more restrained than in some of his previous efforts.

The two leads come across well enough but they are not really breaking any new ground here and the cameos are well used, in particular Steve Buscemi as a drunken best man. The films strength is largely ins 1980's satiric nods.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well-made, engaging romantic comedy.
barnabyrudge29 February 2008
Adam Sandler had made generally second-rate comedy fillers prior to The Wedding Singer. Films like Billy Madison, Bulletproof and Happy Gilmore – very straightforward, run-of-the-mill comedy films. The Wedding Singer has a lot more to it than that, and is a surprisingly enjoyable and witty romantic comedy. The trick is very simple – it's a film about people. No fancy plot devices, no special effects, no action thrown in to spice things up – just real and funny characters caught up in a situation that anyone can identify with.

In the 1980s, wedding singer Robbie Hart (Adam Sandler) makes friends with a pleasant waitress named Julia (Drew Barrymore) at a wedding party. The pair of them get on incredibly well but neither notices the chemistry between them as both are already engaged to their respective lovers. In Robbie's case, the attractive but incompatible Linda (Angela Featherstone); in Julia's case the successful and materialistic Glenn (Matthew Glave). When Robbie is jilted at the altar by Linda, he sinks into depression but is helped through the tough times by Julia. During this time he realises that he actually has feelings for her, a fact that Julia herself also awakens to. Julia begins to have serious doubts about whether she truly wants to spend the rest of her life with Glenn… but her family and friends convince her that she is merely suffering from a few pre-wedding jitters. However, when Robbie finds out that Glenn is a love rat who sleeps around with other women he realises that the time is right to declare his love to Julia. But circumstances conspire to jeopardise his plan, and Robbie has to chase Julia to Las Vegas before she unwittingly marries the wrong guy…

What makes the film better than a standard romantic comedy is the clever '80s background, with clothing, fashion, hair-styles, music tastes and phrases all perfectly captured from the era. In one great scene, Robbie instructs Linda to stop wearing his Van Halen T-shirt: "please get out of my Van Halen T-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up!" Little subtle gags like this run throughout the film and make it a pleasure to come back for repeat viewings. The dialogue is generally very good, with lots of quick witted sarcasm and one-liners. But the film remembers also to set aside time for the emotional and romantic elements, so that it doesn't just become a soulless gag-fest. Sandler proves for perhaps the first time in his career that he is a likable and subtle actor, capable of creating a character with personality rather than sticking to type. Similarly, Barrymore gives her sweetest performance in years – the chemistry between them is unexpectedly warm and genuine. Indeed, the entire cast create memorable and amusing characters, right down to a hilarious cameo from Billy Idol. There's really not much wrong with The Wedding Singer – it's a little conventional and the outcome is wholly predictable, but these are minor quibbles in an otherwise well-made, engaging and genuinely funny comedy flick.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
MUCH better than I expected it to be
Tito-818 February 1999
The generally annoying Adam Sandler actually comes through as likable for once, and that is one of the keys to this movie being a surprisingly fun ride. Sure, it's predictable, it's formulaic, and it's a little too heavy with 80's references, but I have to admit that I had a smile on my face for practically the whole thing. Aside from Sandler, Billy Idol was fun to watch, Steve Buscemi's brief appearances were terrific, and Drew Barrymore was especially adorable and effective. This was a great movie. Go figure.
Not Hilarious but Also not Unfunny,
lesleyharris302 August 2014
The Wedding Singer is a good movie with a good storyline and a great comedic cast.It certainly isn't Adam Sandlers finest movie,but it's not his worst either,there are several funny scenes throughout but there are also a lot of misses.This is the first movie to star Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore,and from the very first scene you can see and almost feel the amazing chemistry between them and it is certainly the movies highlight.The thing that bothered me the most about this movie is that it is set in the eighties but rarely makes reference to it (other than the music),it makes a small reference every now and again,like a mention of Dallas,to remind us it's set in the eighties,but I think it should have made constant references instead of just a few at times to remind the audience.There are some great cameos and they are certainly some of the funniest parts,particularity Steve Buscemi and Jon Lovitz's scenes.The Wedding Singer is nothing outstanding but it is very enjoyable and I would recommend it as a short and sweet comedy to watch if you ever see it on television and have some time to kill.

A waitress catches the eye of a wedding circuit singer who is distraught after being dumped at the alter of his own wedding.

Best Performance: Adam Sandler Worst Performance: Matthew Glave
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
great script, acting, SNL faces, lift the all too predictable fluff-line
beauzee27 December 2014
sandler is the failed local rock star, now sustaining as local wedding singer. he is an '80s guy, Reagan era exponent > hey, what's wrong with getting married, buying a home, and makin' bucks?! problem is: his chosen one (angela Featherstone) is a dumb as a brick beauty (another Seinfeld actress, who played Jerry's sort of maid), who frivolously decides at the very last minute, not to show up for the kick-off of adam's new life.

he meets up with Drew Barrymoore, a waitress at one of his gigs. she too is of a conservative mindset...she is marrying admittedly, for security. hey, security is not bad.

but Love conquers all! and not unlike the movie HONEYMOON IN VEGAS, either! we give a few notches DOWN because sandler as part-time piano teacher is really just hinted at and the part of his "older" student, Ellen Dow (seen on Seinfeld as Pederson's Mother), is quite repugnant. another "thorn" is in the relationship between Sandler and the "original" bride to be. she is a silly, frivolous person who he realizes is not worthy....but she *was* worthy for a long time, in fact worthy enough to be his fiancé....the Director might have had Sandler show some kindness at the end (no spoiler). was she all that different from Drew, in the end?
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet, charming, hilarious, and heartwarming romantic comedy
Catherine_Grace_Zeh25 January 2006
THE WEDDING SINGER, in my opinion, is a sweet, charming, hilarious, and heartwarming romantic comedy. If you ask me, the way that Robbie (Adam Sandler) and Julia (Drew Barrymore) met was very romantic. Also, in my opinion, what Linda (Angela Featherstone) did to Robbie on their wedding day was absolutely heartless. In addition, I didn't like Glenn (Matthew Glave) all that much. The music was great, too. Also, watch for a special appearance by Billy Idol near the end of the movie. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say, "If you like romantic comedies or movies where people meet by chance, I highly recommend THE WEDDING SINGER!" Now, in conclusion, when you see this sweet, charming, hilarious, and heartwarming romantic comedy, prepare to laugh and be touched.
Very funny
Wild-25 August 1998
"The Wedding Singer" is not Adam Sandlers best work, I thought he was best in "Happy Gilmore." Still, he'll still keep you laughing till the end of this movie. Drew Barrymore is also great as the innocent Julia. There are also very funny cameos by Billy Idol and Steve Busiemi.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"I wanna grow old with you"
juneebuggy28 April 2015
One of my all time favourite Adam Sandler movies -truthfully I don't watch anything he puts out anymore but this is a classic.

I'm not sure how many times I've seen it over the years but whenever I catch it on TV it still always makes me laugh as I sing along. This movie is of course especially great if you grew up in the 80's and remember all the "awesome" music and hair. The music is a huge part of this movie but all the 80's references are fun and then there's Billy freaking Idol on the plane. Excellent secondary characters here too.

The story is a little hokey following Robbie, a singer (now reduced to working weddings) and Julia a waitress, two very sweet people who are engaged to the wrong partners. They meet while working a bar mitzvah (I think) and become friends.

Drew Barrymore is Julia the love interest, helping Robbie through a bad breakup and then getting him to help plan her wedding. These two have definite chemistry together and you really hope they'll get together. All it takes is Billy Idol. A guilty pleasure favourite movie for sure.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The sweetest thing!
ritooo-c11 October 2014
The Wedding Singer is one of those movies I've been meaning to watch forever. It took a few years but I am so glad I finally watched it. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore play their characters so incredibly well, and are so likable! Almost to the point where I really wish I knew more people like them. It's their likable characters that really drew me into the story and although the ending is quite predictable the process of getting there keeps you on the edge of your seat. Also the level of sweetness in this movie is beyond reality (or is it?) but a girl can only hope! This movie is definitely making it to my favorites list!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Delightful!
jlthornb5123 April 2015
Adam Sandler had made two decent movies. Actually they were exceptional films. Punch Drunk love was one, with Emily Watson elevating him to a new and entirely fresh level. This is the other. Interestingly, just as Emily Watson made such an impact, so does Drew Barrymore in this film. She is nothing less than adorable and as an actress, raises Sandler up out of his usual routine. The opening sequence with the credits is absolutely one of the best starts of a comedy ever filmed. The guest cameos are stunningly hilarious, especially Steve Buscemi. The movie does drag a bit in the middle but overall it is a very good romantic comedy and for Adam Sandler, a true work of art.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why do I like this movie so much?
alombardy2 June 2014
I am not a fan of Adam Sandler. His comedy is usually crude and panders to the lowest common denominator of cinema-goer. So why do I tolerate, nay enjoy his performance in this movie?

I think it's because this was one of his earlier efforts and as such he didn't have as much creative control as he does over the tripe he makes now. The comedy is family friendly but actually genuinely good for the most part, the romance is just about on the scale of believable, and the soundtrack is upbeat and fits the tone.

Part of the success of this movie for me is the fact that it's a 90s movie about the 80s, which we don't see very often. The result is the innocent naiveté of the 90s mixed with the elaborate, flamboyant extravagance of the preceding decade and it's a winning combination. It culminates in just a general 'feel-good' vibe that thrives in the midst of safe but quality comedy and a cheesy, predictable yet satisfying narrative.

Billy Idol's cameo is a highlight and fairly veteran actors such as Steve Buscemi turn in surprisingly adept comic performances alongside Sandler and Drew Barrymore as the romantic leads. The shame, of course, is that people will form an opinion of this move when they see Sandler's face on the front and it may well turn them away from a corny yet very good comedy worth seeing. 7/10.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.