Senseless (1998) Poster

(1998)

Its A Good Movie
piinkk_panther2 July 2006
I think this movie was very well done. It had lots of laughs,an entertaining plot and good acting for the most part.It also had great actors in it (Matthew Lillard,Marlon Wayans, David Spade etc.) Wayans did an amazing job but i have to say that Lillard was the funniest, even though he didn't have a very big part. This definitely wasn't Spade's best movie though, because he came off very boring and quite annoying in most scenes. But overall, this movie was pretty good. I really liked it, and if your a Wayans or Lillard fan, I'm sure you will too. This movie is pretty much all about immature jokes, so if you are not looking for that kind of comedy, you should try a different movie.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
what ever happened to humour in this world
stuart-188811 January 2006
I don't believe the poor rating that this film has been given. This is one of the funniest films I have seen in a long time. If people watched it with an open mind and stopped trying to serious movie critics and analyse every film they see, they would realise that it is great fun and entertaining. I have recommended this film to lots of my mates and they all thought it was side-splittingly funny. Everybody out there who gave it a crap rating should watch it again, as I pity them for their lack of humour and understanding of a good comedy. I gave this film a ten and I think it was worth every point. Anybody else agree-let me know.Vote and lets get this movie up from the paltry score of 5.4(what an insult)ENOUGH SAID. WAYANS BROTHERS ROCK.
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Up there
James-Durham19 January 2000
Its easy for people to get hooked on the gross-out comedies like American Pie and Something about Mary, but when a comedy like this comes along and the actor is obviously having so much fun in the role that the jokes seem natural, its hard to pass 'Senseless' off as being anything but hilarious.

Marlon Wayans really has come about as an actor since Mo Money and that other movie I think it was called 'Dont go dissin your homeboy while drinkin yo juice in the hood', however Mathew Lillard cant seem to break away from that surfer dude retro generation exxer persona that we see in most of his films.

David Spade tries hard but Wayans upstages everyone.

9 out of 10
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Very funny and also touching
vchimpanzee13 June 2006
Darryl Witherspoon is a senior economics major whose mother has been raising several children on her own in a bad section of New York City. He is very bright and has a good chance of getting out of that neighborhood. But he has bills to pay and may get kicked out of the apartment he shares with hockey player Tim.

Darryl has a good chance at being the one junior analyst hired that year by the prestigious Wall Street firm Smythe-Bates. But his competition includes Scott Thorpe, whose father works for the firm. Scott belongs to the fraternity Darryl wants to join, and he thinks he is better than everyone else and that Darryl isn't good enough to be one of them. Darryl also can't make it as a hockey player.

Impressing Smythe-Bates becomes less of a priority as Darryl looks for work just to keep his apartment. The university is testing an experimental drug which heightens the five senses. Despite the potential side effects, Darryl is determined to do whatever it takes to make the money he needs. One possible problem with the drug he is not told about: at too high a dosage, one of the five senses shuts down, followed by another, and another. It's not possible to predict which of the senses will go or when, but you can bet this will happen at the worst possible time.

Darryl also wants to meet girls, and Janice is attractive, pleasant and intelligent. Can he win her love? Can he find a way to impress Smythe-Bates?

This was very funny. I liked the concept--as in "Smallville", a shiny green liquid can give an ordinary person super powers, and it can also cause all sorts of trouble.

But the movie wasn't just funny. The romantic scenes were also warm and touching.

The writing was quite intelligent. Someone must have known how Wall Street operates and the economic principles that guide the financial industry.

I'm surprised we haven't heard more from Marlon Wayans. Although he seemed like a silly clown at times, he really demonstrated comic abilities when Darryl struggled with the drug's problems. And he showed superior talent for both comedy and drama when the drug did what it was supposed to do.

David Spade was somewhat less of a loser here than he usually is. He excels at playing jerk loser characters, but Scott had more dimension than the usual Spade type.

Richard McDonagle was quite good as one of the top men at Smythe-Bates. And Tamara Taylor impressed as Janice. Esther Scott had a brief but effective performance as Darryl's determined mother.

This was really worth seeing. Don't be misled by the title.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Predictable, Juvenile, Entertaining
Enchorde28 February 2004
Yes. This movie is predictable. You do not have to watch very long before you may guess almost everything that will happen, and sure enough, it does. No surprises anywhere. In addition, as in many other movies which Marlon Wayans appears in, a lot of the jokes is pretty juvenile and of "low" quality, focusing on stuff you thought were funny when you were five years old and very tired. The again, some of the jokes, still being juvenile, is actually funny. So, as it turns out, as a whole, the movie is entertaining. Not the best comedy ever made, but I have seen a lot worse too.

Wayans does his stuff as can be expected, not raising any eyebrows (for his performance anyway) nor disappointing. However, personally, I hoped for David Spade to have a bigger role. In my opinion he is a very good comedian but does not have any chance to show it in this movie.

To conclude, do not have the greatest expectations, sit back and enjoy.

7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Actually, pretty good!
Bio Hazard28 March 2001
I'd never even heard of Senseless, but it was recommended to me with high praise - so I gave it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised, well, I'm not saying it was fantastic - but I did laugh enough to make watching worth my while.

It may help being a fan of one of the actors. I'm not a huge Wayans fan, any of the, how many of them are there? Anyway, nor am I a huge fan of Spade, although he has his moments. I am a huge Matthew Lillard fan, though (no, I'm not a 16 year old girl!) and I found his performance typically Lillard-esque - which is entertaining no matter what the role is - or how under-written his part is. Any fan of Matt will at least get something out of this movie. Keeping in mind I am not a huge Wayans or Spade fan, both gave good performances. Wayans had some great moments.

Directed by Penelope Spheeris, (Wayne's World) - Senseless is overall a pretty good movie with a warm ending, which, being as it *is* a comedy, is a *lot* better than a cold ending!

6.5/10
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
No thought required
Dante Hicks24 May 2000
Just like any one of a hundred fart-joke inspired comedies trundled out every year this movie has it's moments and is at times very funny. Wayans is pretty good mainly because he can be ridiculous without over-acting and therefore becoming annoying. However, there is nothing here that you haven't seen before and to know exactly what's going to happen before it happens becomes tiresome. If you want low-budget comedy you'd be better off watching the inspired Ski School 2 or Happy Gilmore and give this one a miss.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Damn funny
Ivan Ravenous20 June 2000
This movie is hilarious, though I wouldn't recommend it to overly-sensitive viewers. The humor is not terribly sophisticated, but it is certainly plentiful. Marlon Wayans, David Spade, Matthew Lillard and Rip Torn are all superb.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
hilarious
rock-1930 March 1999
I thought it was going to be one of those movies where you already saw the best of it in the previews. I was pleasantly surprised.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
my mom laughed 'til she cried
Nellie-326 May 1999
casting marlon wayans in this movie was such an intelligent thing to do. he is such a funny guy on the screen, and it's hard not to laugh when he starts having his little love, side effect and job problems. the movie on the whole is really funny, even my mom laughed 'til she cried when she saw it, and believe me, she rarely does so. oh, i nearly forgot, the tim character ( matthew lillard ), why can't he exist irl??? *smiles*
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
One of the funniest movies I have ever seen.
Matthew Cole17 April 2004
This is a typical Marlon Wayans movie. The first time I saw it I was laughing so hard that I almost wet my pants. Marlon Wayans as Daryl Witherspoon is pretty funny though but isn't the only one that is humourous in the movie. Matthew Lillard is funny as well but in a very bizarre way. The next paragraph may contain possible spoilers

***********************************************************************

The funniest part in the movie in my opinion is when Daryl overdoses on the drug can't see what he is doing while playing hockey and ends up standing behind the net instead of in front of it but you can't leave out his outburst during the test.

***********************************************************************

Senseless was a funny movie and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good laugh. I give it 10 out of 10.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
I was laughing senseless after watching this
slimm30 August 2002
What a film the hilarious wayans brothers return with Marlon wayans hitting the spot with Senseless this extremely funny entertaining movie with a great storyline i am a huge Matthew Lillard fan as it is ever since seeing him in Scream and Marlon Wayans is sheer magic and he proves it in Senseless.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
I've just watched...
jOsSse11 September 2007
and i love it! it is a great comedy movie, very entertaining, and unique. this movie is original, one of the best Wayans Bros. productions. btw Wayans bros. rocks, i've seen 'don't be a menace' and damn it rocks,i saw 'senseless' and now i wanna see 'im gonna git you sucka'. i know, old movies, but.. where does the comedy went?? the recent comedies are light, and they partly suck. go Wayans, make another big creation for us!

i truly recommend it, i couldn't stop laughin! Marlon Wayans is like the black Jim Carrey (in my opinion)

so rent it on DVD, and come here! this movie deserves a big 10 for its original idea and funny stuffs
WOW!
Katherine-51 June 2002
People, I'd say that was the best 'light' comedy I've seen for some time now! I didn't laughing like for a very long time... It is simply the best movie for the last year in my life of that ganre. It's worth seeing. You can take my word on that. And, it has SO many great phrases and moments, that we keep changing them months after the movie.

Thank you very much!
Hilarious Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Y2K Bug29 December 1998
This movie is the best I've seen in a long time!! Wayans is the best!!!!
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Senseless was a very entertaining film!
Leah-710 October 1998
Unlike some of the other users who have rated this film I enjoyed it. I am not a person who has the right to judge a film all I know is that it was not a bad movie. Matthew Lillard is a very good actor this might not have been him best movie but it was one of them. If you liked this movie you might also like Hackers it is a movie also casting Matthew. Scream is one of many others he plays in. It might be of a different genre but he bring comedy to a horror movie and that is not a easy task to uphold.
Funny, I guess.
booveteran16 June 2001
I forget when the first time I saw this was, but I laughed a lot. When I went and rented it, I did it for another reason. Because of Myst III: Exile, I quickly became a big fan of Brad Dourif. When I remembered this movie, I had to see it again. This one was a big plus, because he had a bigger role in it than most movies. It was a nice bonus because there were other actors I was fans of in it as well. Matthew Lillard and David Spade are also people I'm fans of. Rip Torn did a very nice job. The Wayans guy was ok, I guess... :)

This movie had what I needed though. Hockey, girls, college, experimental drugs... Oops. I liked it.

Yea Brad Dourif!
This is a great movie.
Waltdog24 July 1999
Critics often judge comedies very harshly. However, if I were a critic I would find it very hard to give this movie a bad rating because not only is it a funny movie, it is also a "good" movie. Marlon Wayans is my favorite actor and I think he did a great job playing Darryl Witherspoon. Critics also often harshly judge comedians and "funnymen." This is usually because they think that they can't really act, although, that is not usually the case. The same goes for this film. Wayans did an exceptional acting job when it came to dramatic parts in the film, like being turned down when he wanted to pledge as a Kappa. This reminds me of Jim Carrey in "The Truman Show." Carrey really didn't have the respect of critics until this film came out. I also enjoyed the comedy of Matthew Lillard and David Spade. Also, Rip Torn did a great job. Overall, I give this movie a 10.
Makes Austin Powers look like the Godfather
Serva15 February 2002
A previous commenter said something about that the only thing that works in this movie is Marlon Wayans. I beg to differ and add Wayans to the things that don't work. Because this must be one of the most unfunny "comedies" I've seen in a long while.

The plot is incredibly stupid on many levels, they use plot points that are too embarrassing to use in TV-series for kids. The comedy consists mostly of fart jokes and adjacent categories of such jokes. Am I strange because I don't find these funny? What kind of target audience are they aiming at anyway? Kids? Maybe they would think it is funny, but how much of the romance and all the economy and college stuff will they really understand?

I don't know, Marlon Wayans's face in a close-up while he attempts to make a face to show some indiscernible kind of expression over and over again is not my idea of fun. I'm sorry, but he's no Jim Carrey. Far from it. I can count one (1) time when I actually laughed at a joke when watching this movie. That was a word joke which of course they managed to subtitle wrong, but I still got it. One joke out of 93 minutes. It's good it says comedy on the box otherwise I don't know if I would've grasped that.

People who bash the Austin Powers movies and likes it should really have a look at this one. Trust me, you'd be in for a ride. Especially the first Austin Powers movie is so many lightyears away quality-wise from this unfunny drivel.
6 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Well done
Peter T. Movie5 July 1999
Whether its true or not, I think this movie is very original. Wow! super sensess. This is the most original comedy I've seen since "Nothing To Lose". Not only is it funny, but its interesting and smart. Marlon Wayans was perfect for the role as Darryl, and does a great acting job. In fact I had so much faith in Marlon's performance that I bought the movie without renting it first (something I rarely do). My advice to you people who have not seen this film yet is: SEE IT NOW! I give this movie a 9/10.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Very funny!
jaws!29 April 1999
This movie is very funny. It's in the top ten of the most funniest movies of 1998! I give this movie *** out of ****
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Pathetic!
saint40527 June 2005
Senseless is a tragedy film with one character being the center of attention, throw in a stupid plot about a new drug, add a subplot about trying to win a job, and why not, pluck a few good actors out of the bag and throw it into this film to make a horrible film! Marlon Waynes as Witherspoon is not funny at all. All he does is scream, cry, run around, and itch his behind! David Spade was totally useless as the evil villain Scott who was nothing but a big dork and we have the wonderful Matthew Lillard playing some junkie gay thug. Now the start of this film is okay with Marlon running around doing errands, trying to raise money for his mom and his college education by giving blood multiple times and working as a equipment manager but the film falls like a rock! No funny jokes at fall, Marlons out burst are the most idiotic things, Spade is totally uncool, and the girlfriend is just thrown in for some zest which even burns the suck fire brighter! Avoid this film at all cost, don't bother! You will get dumber by watching this movie, it's pathetic! 1 out of ten, horrible!
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
Report this | Copied to clipboardCopy link
Poor comedy with mugging replacing performances
bob the moo8 November 2003
Darryl Witherspoon is a poor black kid, forced to do whatever he can to make money to pay his tuition and keep him in his select business school. When trails come up for an experimental drug he ignores the risks and takes it – only to find, after some side effects, that his senses have become super sensitive.

I wasn't sure what this film was when I sat down to it, but when the names Wayans and Spade came up at the start of the credits, I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to have one of the most moving movie experiences of my life. I was right. The plot is a simple device that relies on two things. It relies on the contest for a job position to create a framework for jokes and give the film an ending. It also relies on the drug in question to create every single joke, no matter how forced it is. To this end the plot doesn't really matter and the gags are all very thin. The final third of the film has Darryl going without one of his senses at random to try and great jokes – not even a cameo for some Knicks players could make me interested.

This is not to say that some of it isn't funny – but the vast majority isn't. Instead of scripted jokes or situations, the film mainly relies on Wayans mugging and pulling faces at any given moment. Fart jokes, semen jokes or just basic mugging all take up far too much time in the film. Spade does almost nothing and shows yet again the inability to do anything but annoy me. Rip Torn comes out with some dignity while Moore and Taylor are both nice to look at even if they are given little of substances to do. Lillard is his usual annoying self – I'm glad he has his role in Scooby Doo, it seems to be the only role that I have seen him fit into easily.

Overall this is a pretty poor comedy but one that just might amuse you if you are in the mood for just a dumb comedy where you don't need a brain to see the jokes coming. I found it al a bit puerile and couldn't help but notice that, for 95% of the time, I simply wasn't laughing – how could I give a comedy a good review with stats like that?
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?
mmm....sometimes funny
Eduardo Sanchez M.11 October 2000
some parts are really fun, but in general this movie sucks! sometimes they try to force something to be funny and it doesn't worked for them. I recommend to rent it only if any other funny movie isn't available
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful?