The Odd Couple II (1998) Poster

vintage Lemmon and Matthau
lee_eisenberg14 October 2005
Okay, so the sequel was pretty absurd, but it was Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau doing what they do best (it was also their final teaming). In this case, Felix Ungar (Lemmon) and Oscar Madison (Matthau) are driving to their son's and daughter's wedding in San something, California, experiencing various unpleasant situations along the way. Most of the movie's strength lies in its one-liners, most of which show just how much both men are seething. I think that my favorite scene is when they stop out in the middle of the desert, and...well, you have to see it. Somewhere up in that great retirement home in the sky, Oscar and Felix must still be getting on each other's nerves. They were truly great.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Two For The Road...and Cut.
theowinthrop31 July 2006
It is hard to believe it was only eight years ago that this, the last of the Lemmon and Matthau (or Matthau and Lemmon) films was made, and within four years both stars would be gone. One only wishes that their last film together had been more of a success. They had done first rate sequels before with GRUMPIER OLD MEN, but that film had been done within two years of GRUMPY OLD MEN, and a natural momentum carried the stars (and supporting casts) to the finish line. That is not the case with THE ODD COUPLE II. It came out thirty years after the original THE ODD COUPLE, and while they are reunited with the play's creator (Neil Simon) on the screenplay, the momentum - the push - is lacking.

Not that this is a boring film. Far from it. We always wondered how Oscar Madison and Felix Unger would have behaved as elderly men. Of course, Felix looked like he and Gloria were going to settle their differences and return together in the first play/movie. Indeed, in the television series Tony Randall did get back to his wife. But here it is obvious it did not work at all. Both men have remained divorced, and both men remain essential the same: Felix the compulsively organized neatnik and Oscar the incorrigible slob. They also have given each other a wide birth if possible. But they find themselves drawn back into mutual orbit. Oscar's son is getting married - and to Felix's daughter. So the pair are headed for the wedding, and that means jointly showing up.

What happens is a series of joint misadventures on the way to the wedding, especially involving two rather fun young women that they meet (Christine Baranski and Jean Smart) with their jealous boyfriends. This leads to several, increasingly odd, run-ins with the sheriff of a small town they can't seem to successfully leave. Indeed, in one case they get a lift out of town in a beautiful white classic Rolls Royce, which moves more slowly than a pair of people on bicycles.

The situations are all quite amusing. But the unity of the film is not there - it is like a series of skits involving Felix and Oscar, that are vaguely united because the two characters are familiar to us, and they are supposed to get to the wedding. Still the two stars give it their all, and with Baranski, Smart, and the late Bernard Hughes it works well enough as an entertainment. But for me, the wackiness and variety of OUT TO SEA make that film a better final film for the pair.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Little Bit Odd
alilmadsometimes15 May 2014
This sequel to "The Odd Couple" is odd. First of all, I don't think one really needed to happen and second of all if one was meant to be made it should have been made a little earlier. The 90's did sort of overuse the dynamic duo known as Lemmon and Matthau. Even in the 80's they paired up. But with films like "Grumpy Old Men", "Grumpier Old Men", "Out to Sea" and of course "The Odd Couple II", you have to ask yourself whether or not this great comedic pair really needed to return as Felix and Oscar. Still they both have the great chemistry on screen together. Always had, but this sequel felt oddly strained to me since most of it I've seen already in "Grumpy Old Men".

The script by the great Neil Simon was very hit and miss with the jokes and the whole premise of both of them going to their children's wedding was forced. The direction and editing was pretty sloppy and there was a moment when they were walking in the desert when I almost had a brief flash back of when I saw the movie "Ishtar". The only thing worth seeing and is why I watched it is for Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. Despite this odd sequel having a crapola premise, you still gotta love these guys. I'd say watch it for them, but also check out the first movie.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unforgettable. Classic.
au_law200114 January 2005
This has got to be one the funniest film I've seen with the grumpy old men, unfortunately their last, but those two are and forever will be the funniest duo ever. There quotes and acts are hilarious and unforgettable and their acting is excellent, they make Laurel and Hardy look dull, but I love them too. Anyways, in this one they go into a crazy road trip to their children's wedding and the reunion is almost heart warming but funny and they haven't changed a bit, I like especially the part with the ride they had with another old guy. That was classic. Oh, those two, they might've been old but the jokes and humor in their films were fresh. Recommended to all fans of the two, thank Walter Matthau, thank you Jack Lemmon, I'll never forget you, you two are funniest duo on the movies.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wish it wasn't the last.
documain-130 December 2005
It is sad to think that we will not have any more gems from either of these two screen legends. Lemmon was a great actor, as can be seen in any one of his many films (particularly, "Days of Wine and Roses," "Glen Garry Glen Ross"). He had a broad range, and could play comedy with the best of them ("Mr. Roberts," "How to Murder Your Wife," etc.) Matthau was a breed apart, having done many dramatic roles in is early career ("The Kentuckian," "Fail Safe"), but it was light comedy where he truly shined. He was one of those true "naturals." So, after the "Grumpy Old Men" successes, they are paired for "The Odd Couple II." From the broad range of commentary here, there are those who celebrate this film, and those who think it is lame. I feel it has good performances in a so-so plot, but it think it was a bad choice. They were both great in the first "Odd Couple," but who can deny that they abdicated the roles of Oscar and Felix to two consummate professionals, Jack Klugman and Tony Randall on TV? They polished those roles to perfection, and they had done all that could be done with them. It was pointless for Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau to go there again.

For me, "Grumpy Old Men" is how I would like to remember them. That film had a good story, and was supported by a great team of veterans, Burgess Meredith in particular. In that film, even the out-takes are great.

"The Odd Couple II" reminds me in many ways of "Tough Guys." Both films had legends, both as teams and as individual actors, so when Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster appear together for the last time, you want for them to have something really special. That is what we wanted for Jack Lemmon and Walther Matthau. These films are okay, but only because the actors are in them. They are not good enough movies to honor their memories.
17 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected...
Caine-29 November 1998
Despite poor reviews from critics, this follow-up to the "Odd Couple" delivers quite a few big laughs. Both stars are in top form, although it looks as if old age is begining to damper (just slightly) ol' Walter Matthau's style. I enjoyed many of the sight gags, especially one with Bernard Hughes as a man planning to live to "120" as he drives them cross-country. Howard Duetch, who also directed the hilarious "Grumpier Old Men", does a fine job switching between the dramatic and comedic moments. Not a great film, but an entertaining one with quite a few guffaws. It's biggest downfall: It reminded me more of the "Grumpy Old Men" films than the original "Odd Couple".
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hail and farewell
vincentlynch-moonoi1 July 2014
In my view, there are two ways to judge this film. The first is by looking it as a "stand-alone" movie. In that way it doesn't stand up that well. The plot is okay -- a buddy road trip on the way to a wedding...only for a change it's senior citizens. The situations are HUMOROUS, but not laugh-out-loud funny. The principal actors (Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau) do their jobs, while the supporting actors and actresses also do theirs. It's an amusing movie. And, if you don't know much about Lemmon and Matthau, that's all it will be to you.

The other way to judge this film is by looking at it as the closing act of a REAL buddy team of two actors who have shared a big part of their lives together, both professionally and personally. Then it doesn't matter if the film is as outwardly funny as it is charmingly humorous. You sit there thinking of their first film together -- the first "The Odd Couple" -- and you reminisce. Their first outing with "The Fortune Cookie", their most memorable romp in "The Odd Couple", the hilarity of "The Front Page", their renaissance in "Grumpy Old Men" and "Grumpier Old Men", and even their not so great "Out to Sea" and "Buddy Buddy". You admire them for what they meant individually and collectively to American cinema. And as you watch the scene of them parting at the airport, just maybe you think of Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn in that scene in "Guess Who's Coming Together" where they both know the end is almost upon them...not in film, but in real life. And you see the wistfulness of the parting scene between Lemmon and Matthau, probably realizing that this is the last film together.

So, how to judge this film? Factually or sentimentally? For me, more the latter, because it's a hearty farewell and thank you both for the laughs you have given me.
UNDER RATED
Kyle Westphal2 January 1999
"The Odd Couple II" is a yet another funny Jack Lemmon-Walter Matthau vehicle that has been dubbed awful by the critics. Films like "Grumpy Old Men", "Grumpier Old Men", "Out to Sea", while they may not deserve Oscars, aren't that bad and much better than such unfunny comedies like "My Best Friend's Wedding". Lemmon-Matthau are still funny as ever in their 70's. Not go what the critics say, this is a very funny movie.
The last team up
Quinoa19846 July 2000
Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau appear in their final film together here after years of acting together (Matthau died recently). Here, they team up once again as Felix and Oscar. This time, they are on a road trip to their son and daughter's wedding (it's Felix's daughter and Oscar's son) and during the trip their are plenty of funny scenes and one-liners, but it just doesn't hit as well as the original. Good effort anyway. Written again by Neil Simon.
Some clever lines:
Ron-18120 January 2003
This movie had some real cute and clever lines, but alas these two great actors were really beginning to show their age. The film is none the less worth your time and overall and enjoyable escape. It might have been more believable if the marrying couple had been grandchildren instead of son and daughter. I rated this a 7 and it is recommended for all ages.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice heart warming comedy
c-devnull26 April 2010
Firstly let me just say I love Walter Matthau his puppy dog face with his expressions and the lisp are funny, never mind him actually being funny as a person - jack lemon is OK but I think he relies heavily on other peoples performances, definitely not a lead actor but still good.

These actors are actually more entertaining the older they get but unfortunately they have both died not so R.I.P both of you, they will be missed.

I love this film and is one of the many films I've searched for with them together since I watched the terrific grumpy and grumpier old men. This is a good film because of the chemistry and there characters, the story is decent and the whole theme generally works very well. And I think for the aforementioned reasons that this is actually much better than the first one, good job guys!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fair as a movie, bad as a sequel to the original
Raleon24 June 2003
Unfortunately, I've never seen any version of the play except for the original movie, so I have little idea about the original play and the shows. But to me this movie is exactly like every other movie Matheau and Lemmon did since 1990, and it lacks the simplicity of the 1968 original which made them popular as a comedy/film duo. While the original was mainly performance and character driven, which is what made it so innovative, this one has little to do with the actual characters of Felix and Oscar and their bad chemistry together. It is more plot driven, which is what kills it. In fact, it could have been any two people with the exact same plot and nothing would change, whereas in the original the character's behaviour would have effected the plot a bit. Not only that, but there's no more satire and comments on marriage and divorce except the little bit at the end, which I felt was out of character for the play. You would think there would also be a comment on growing old and dying together, but there isn't because the plot gets in the way. Some may say that movies now have to be more plot driven and not as simplistic as they were 50 years ago, but I'd have to say they're wrong. A plot can still ruin a movie while one which is simply performance based can still make it today. Anyhow, the original is still much more popular.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
funny
ryome3 January 2006
Any movies with old dudes fighting like my old man is funny. I'm serious. This movie might not be the biggest thing ever but it certainly made me laugh. Its a classic in my list. There's no deep message but its a damn good movie. Watch it with your old folks. They'll like it. Many dudes i know says it's just a movie about old men complaining. They're right, but they're funny old man with funny complaints. It's a good kind of movies that the "seniors" would like. It's a shame the two old guys won't be making anymore movies. It was the only movie my old man would watch as a comedy. This movie is my girlfriend's favorite among those two old guys.

Anywho...It's a good movie and you should watch it

(kudos to you dad)
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Gout Of Towners
writers_reign5 December 2014
Back in 1970 Neil Simon wrote an Original Screenplay (as opposed to adapting one of his stage plays for the screen) entitled The Out Of Towners in which husband and wife Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis were frustrated in their efforts to travel from Ohio to New York and faced more frustration when they finally did arrive there. Now almost three decades later Simon has rewritten it so that what is essentially the same plot finds Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau frustrated in their attempts to travel to the Californian nuptials of Lemmon's daughter and Matthau's son. I'm not criticizing or complaining. Anything written by Simon is fine with me and anything written by Simon and featuring Lemmon and Matthau is even finer and there are, after all, only seven basic plots as we all know. The leads of course are reprising the characters (Felix Ungar and Oscar Madison) they played in The Odd Couple (Matthau had, in fact, created the role of Oscar Madison in the original Broadway production and though it is widely acknowledged that sequels rarely work this is an exception with enough Simon one-liners to keep most of us happy. Recommended.
Felix and Oscar forever
bkoganbing15 October 2012
When Paramount decided to recreate two of the most beloved characters on stage and on the big and small screens fortunately Neil Simon was hired to age Felix Unger and Oscar Madison. And since this is done in real years, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau who played them on screen back in the Sixties aged right along side the characters they played. No one else could have done proper justice to Felix and Oscar and fortunately they were both alive to get the job done.

A lot has happened in the intervening years. Simon for some reason made Matthau far more ethnically Jewish in this version which finds Oscar living in a senior citizens center writing for a local paper covering minor league baseball and indulging in his weekly pastime of penny ante poker with some contemporaries. He's still the same grouchy lovable slob he always was. I do love that bombs away scene with the garbage bags from his apartment, I can't say more.

And then he learns that his son is marrying his old roommate Felix's daughter and both are invited to the wedding out in Southern California. Enter Jack Lemmon who after making himself a royal pest to the crew on the New York flight to California meets up with Matthau where they rent a car and journey to the small southern California town all of which begin with either San or Los in their names. Don't believe me, look at a map of California and see what I'm talking about. That is after leaving Felix's plastic bag wrapped suitcase on the curb.

After that for a good half the picture Lemmon and Matthau are alone on the screen and that's what the movie-going public paid to see in 1998 in their last joint project. Two of the greatest comic actors and I say that and not comedians doing their best with some of the most impeccable timing and diction and in Matthau's case one of the most expressive faces in film history. Getting involved with a pair of rednecks and their slutty wives and getting into a car with an aged Barnard Hughes who just stops living and getting stuck with a truck of illegal immigrants are the three situations that put them in the jurisdiction of Sheriff Richard Riehl who gets tired of hosting these two in his jail.

Comes the wedding and the aftermath and all I can say there is Oscar as a sportswriter who covered the Yankees would be familiar with what Yogi Berra said about 'De Ja Vu all over again'.

Oscar and Felix they're back, they're better than ever and with both Lemmon and Matthau now gone, we're sadder for the fact they'll never return.
funny!
jaws!3 July 1999
I thought the odd couple II was a funny movie,and some scenes were very funny. I also thought this movie was better than both grumpy old men movies,and my fellow americans. I give the odd couple II *** out of ****
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
You just can't go home again
smatysia15 June 2002
A failed attempt at rekindling the magic of the 1968 film. It's not the movie is so bad on its own merits, but when you make a sequel, you are explicitly inviting comparisons, and these comparisons are not flattering to this film. Lemmon and Matthau do their thing well enough, but it's not enough. Grade: D
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent movie, a laugh riot!
goody153 April 1999
This movie was ten times better then I expected. I just pick up this movie because I saw a preview for it and thought it might be worth a laugh. And I laughed all the way through. These two guys are great. It's a mindless comedy that kind of reminded me of trains, planes and automobiles. score: 9/10
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Almost as good as the first!
Movie-2030 October 1998
It was good, I don't know why the critics didn't like it, well I did, and thats' that.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This reviewer laughed . . . and laughed!
liage9 November 1998
The story is, of course, about a reunion of two odd fellows who, because they can't get along, find themselves at odds not only with each other, but with a sheriff, a group of illegal-alien smugglers, two rather saucy young ladies and their lawless boy friends -- not to mention regulars, such as the ex-wives. It goes without saying that this movie is the sequel to the 1968 "Odd Couple." More precisely, however, it is the hilarious sequel. Madison and Unger's repartee has not changed over these thirty years. This is surely due to Lemon and Mathau's wonderful chemistry, which we have seen time and time again in any of the other movies they have teamed up for. As with the 1968 version, the bickering, the fighting, and threats to one another, Oscar's various vices and Felix's many forms of hypochondria all converge in a non-stop vehicle of conflict, confrontation, even conflagration. Oscar's the cynic and Felix the romantic. Underneath, of course, they are best of friends, and it is for friendship that all the friction makes us laugh. And we do laugh -- nonstop. Best of all perhaps, we are treated to a very funny tribute to two of the funniest characters in moviedom. And in keeping with the scale of the tribute, this movie is also about movies. It is not only reminiscent of the original; it serves up reminders of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"; "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"; intimations on "Thelma and Louise," "North by Northwest," and, of course, "My Best Friend's Wedding." While for nostalgia and an aversion to tampering what is has already been done well the first time (i.e. the proverbial curse of the sequel), we may find the first "Odd couple" more to our liking. We may find the unfolding of events in 1998 a little too fantastic when we compare them to 1968. We may prefer that Oscar and Felix sport a little more of the depth of character development that occurred in the earlier take on them. But it remains that this second offering of these two characters presents more of the same hilarity, and more of a good thing is always better.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hugely Enjoyable light-hearted Sequel. ***1/2 out of *****
Celticnationalist19 July 2009
Oscar Madison (Walter Matthau) and Felix Ungar (Jack Lemmon) are reunited 30 years after the classic Original....

Oscar is still a Grumpy,Gambling Grouch....and Felix is still a fusspot allergic to everything - and both are reunited as they attempt to get to their Daughter and son's Wedding - but keep getting thwarted time after time by exploding rental cars, an elderly Car driver who dies on them, Redneck Husbands who end up kidnapping them and they end up getting arrested by the same despairing officer.

The Odd Couple 2 was the 10th and Sadly LAST Film to star both Matthau and Lemmon and was a Financial disappointment (It made less than $19M in it's entire U.S Theatrical run) and has been regarded as a mistake by many Critics (Professional and on IMDb)

Admittedly It doesn't reach the heights of the Original - But to be honest I can't see many people really expecting it to do so.

The Writing (again by Neil Simon) is Very Good and Matthau has loads of great one-liners sprinkled throughout delivered with his classic dead-pan charm, and both Matthau and Lemmon seem to be enjoying themselves.. Matthau was 77 & Lemon 72 at the time of Filming - so I guess This Movie was a 'Now or Never' project for them.

I won't say this was the BEST Movie I've ever seen, but it is a very enjoyable and pleasant movie to watch and it's great to see both stars, who are both no longer with us.

Sadly Matthau died two years later at the age of 79 and Lemmon died barely a year after Matthau at the age of 76.

***1/2 out of *****
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different to, but just as funny as the original!
opsbooks3 April 2005
Back in 1968, Jack Lemon and Walter Matthau teamed for the movie version of the Neil Simon stage hit, 'The Odd Couple'. Jack played the tidy and precise Felix (the basis, no doubt, for the latter-day Adrian Monk) while Matthew played the messy, baseball fanatic Oscar.

The movie under review teams the boys once again, 30 years later, for the impending marriage of their children. The action takes place in California rather than in New York and this time, it's a 'road' movie rather than a one-set play.

Surprisingly, it's a highly entertaining story with an excellent script which enables both of the boys to give full reign to their comic talents which have, if possible, improved over time! The supporting cast is fine but pushed somewhat into the background, not surprisingly. There are so many good scenes that one feels the need to watch the movie again quite soon, so I have no trouble in recommending it as a 'must see'.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A funny sequel even if there are parts that don't work as well
Prior to the start of the 21rst century, movie franchises that had sequels were more or less on time with their releases. Other sets of movies were created not long after. This was due to movie studios finding it to be profitable and producing a sequel almost every year. Whether or not they actually were of good quality is a separate matter. The point is, sequels came in a rather systematic fashion. Rarely were sequels made years later except for some. A very mainstream movie series that has quite a number of years in between its entries was James Cameron's The Terminator (1984) film. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991) came several years later and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003) was even longer still. However the longest awaited sequel ever to be made might in fact be this movie since its predecessor goes back three decades!

The Odd Couple (1968) was based on a play written by Neil Simon. This story would then also receive a TV show adaptation. But as for this sequel, the script was also written by Neil Simon but was completely original. Nothing had been written before as to what would happen if the two main odd balls would reunite. For this film, it just so happens that the daughter of Felix Unger (Jack Lemmon) and son of Oscar Madison (Walter Matthau) are getting married. When Oscar and Felix cross paths, the madness begins. The question is, will they reach the wedding in time? For being a sequel that came far after its original, the play out to this feature is not as bad as one might think. Heading the production was Howard Deutch. He's mainly known for directing TV shows now. Deutch also worked with Matthau and Lemmon in Grumpier Old Men (1995).

What does work here are the two stars and thankfully much of the supporting cast. Even for thirty years later Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau are great at reprising their all time famous roles. Lemmon still plays Felix as about as stressed as ever, while Matthau plays Oscar just as relaxed and out of touch as well. Both still have the same likable chemistry and great wisecracks towards each other. The next actor to have some funny scenes is Richard Riehle the local sheriff. As Oscar and Felix try to reach their family's wedding, they continuously run into Riehle's character. Seeing his reaction every time after the first gets more comical. As for the couple getting married, Brucey (Jonathan Silverman) and Hannah (Lisa Waltz) are both okay in their roles but they really don't have a lot of shine time.

The parts that aren't effective in the story deal a lot with how the script was written. The plus side is that Neil Simon takes the scenario between the iconic duo and shows the audience what happens when these two are let out of their cages. Yet somehow there's a lack of witty dialog among the whole running time. Matthau and Lemmon are wonderful no doubt, but they can't work alone. Part of what made The Odd Couple (1968) funny was the funny supporting cast. Aside from Riehle, there's not many other actors to find hilarious. On top of that, there a couple of scenes that have the two leads dropping the "F" bomb. The original movie did not use that word at all and it was still hilarious. So what was the point of using it now? Lastly there's a brief subplot that comes up out of nowhere and is quickly settled, so again, why bring it up to begin with?

But aside from this there are appearances from other actors like Mary Beth Peil, Christine Baranski, Jean Smart, Rex Linn, Jay O. Sanders and even Earl Boen. For camerawork, the shots captured are decent for the picture. Credited as cinematographer was Jamie Anderson. Unlike the original where much of the settings took place in the apartment, now the whole adventure takes place outside and there's lots to see. Anderson was also the DP to movies like Piranha (1978), Unlawful Entry (1992) and Small Soldiers (1998) that same year. Lastly, bringing forth the music was composer Alan Silvestri. Being known for all kinds of scores Silvestri did a great job revisiting the famous main theme from the original and it is repeated quite often in full orchestra. A job well done.

While the script may suffer from unnecessary add ins and occasionally less energetic dialog, the rest of the viewing experience is still enjoyable. Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon remain the highlight of the feature, with great exchanges, acceptable cinematography and respectable music.
Two Old Guys Ragging On Each Other
gavin69428 May 2007
Oscar's son is marrying Felix's daughter... and the "odd couple" will now be traveling across California to try and find the wedding. But anything that can go wrong will go wrong when you're dealing with these grumpy old men.

Normally, I don't think you wait 30 years to make a sequel... but they did it (probably setting some kind of record). And, you know, I liked this film. I watched it with my brother and my father, and I found it to be a good film for a family to watch (but an older family, because the language is a little bad). It's funny in a more or less clean way (no smut) and it's a no-brainer film (just more of Mathau and Lemmon tearing into each other).

I liked some of the jokes more than others ("the crutch store" is pretty funny) and a lot of it was sort of cheesy. But it's also cute to see two old men try to pick up women half their age and get stranded in a desert. That's just so silly -- old men! Old men, who aren't timid, with no secrets.

That's really all I can say about this one. It's just like watching "Grumpy Old Men", but it's in California rather than in the woods. Otherwise ,it may as well be the same film. Which works. Because unlike other films that seem to be copies of themselves, this has more of a "Laurel and Hardy" or "Abbott and Costello" feel where you can't imagine these old men doing anything differently. Check it out for an easy laugh.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Uproariously funny! Good fun with Felix and Oscar."
vip_ebriega14 March 2007
My Take: The leads make this all work out.

I watched this film last night, but I missed the first half, so I don't know the title. The film was really funny. So I decided to look for it here in IMDb, and was surprised that it was a sequel. A sequel to a classic comedy starring the same stars, much older now though. But anyway, "Odd Couple II" is satisfyingly funny, no, it was uproariously funny!!! I love the performances of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. They are really kings of comedies. They make you laugh at the jokes, with their accents and act of delivering, even if some of them don't work. The jokes come fast too. There must have been billions of jokes in this, and it's only one movie. So, convinced yet. I hope so.

I'm not really in to the comedy crowd. But "Odd Couple II" is an excellent comedy. The laughs really work and the performances by Lemmon and Matthau really make it a modern classic (for me).

Rating: ***1/2 out of 5.