The Newton Boys (1998)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 27 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for violence including bloody aftermath of a shooting, and for language|
Sex & Nudity
- Willis and Louise make out in a car (nothing more than passionate kissing).
- We very briefly see one of the brothers' bare butts as he does a naked back flip (ie. Skinny dipping) into some water.
- Jess and Doc briefly sing a song that contains the line, "...she's fat and horny..."
- The outfits some "flappers" wear show just a little bit of cleavage on some of the women.
Violence & Gore
- Doc is extremely bloody after being shot (bloody chest, blood running from both sides of his mouth, etc...). His brothers then have blood on them from trying to help him, and we later see several shots of Doc who's still very bloody.
- We later see Doc whose face is bandaged and has dried blood on it.
- Joe has a little bit of blood running from his nose after being punched.
- A cop pushes his finger into one of Doc's wounds.
- Willis, Slim & Glasscock rob a bank at gunpoint. They're then pursued by some townspeople who chase them and fire their guns at them. Slim is hit (injured) and Willis' horse is hit and goes down.
- The robbers use nitroglycerine to blow open a safe door that also blows up part of the bank.
- Some townspeople open fire on the brothers at night (and from a distance) and the brothers fire back (but apparently without the intention of hitting anyone).
- Jess practices his accuracy by shooting holes in a street sign.
- To get into a bank, Doc first shoots into its door several times, and then busts it down.
- Explosions rock two banks as the brothers blow open the safes in each.
- A woman smacks Jess for something he tells her (that we don't hear).
- There's another big explosion.
- The brothers rob several couriers at gunpoint. After firing a warning shot, Willis' rifle jams and a courier goes after him. He then fires a pistol that hits the man in the shoulder and then kicks a man on the ground. Doc then hits two couriers with the butt of his rifle. The couriers then struggle with the brothers over the bags of money (holding onto their legs, jumping on their backs, etc.. all of which is accompanied by "playful" music). One of the brothers hits another man in the face and then fires a warning shot that blows apart a newsstand. The police show up and the brothers fire at them, blowing out their windshield, and moments later a cop is shot (but not killed).
- Willis punches an oil worker on his dry rig.
- The brothers rob a train at gunpoint. Willis fires a warning shot through a window (and one shot is fired back) and then throws a "stink bomb" inside to make everyone come out. The brothers then hold their guns on these people. Later, in an accident, one of their crew mistakenly shoots Doc several times, badly wounding him.
- There are several scenes where the cops physically interrogate the brothers. A cop throws Willis against a wall and then hits him in the gut. A cop hits one of them with his billy club. A cop punches Joe in the face. Another man pushes his finger into one of Doc's wounds, and an investigator punches a corrupt businessman.
- At least 8 "s" words, 2 slang terms using male genitals ("p*cker), 1 slang term for breasts (the "t" word, but used in relation to a pig), 62 hells, 32 damns, 13 S.O.B.'s, 3 asses, and 20 uses of "G-damn," 6 of "Jesus," 5 of "God," 2 of "God Almighty," and 1 use each of "Oh Lord," "My God," "Oh God," and "Oh my God" as exclamations.
- Phrases: "Bastard," "Idiot," "Farting around," "Balls" (testicles), "Horny," "Go to hell," "P*ckerhead," "Skirts" and "Cake" (for women), and "Shut up."
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Jess and Doc smoke throughout the movie, while Louise, Willis and Joe smoke just once or few times.
- Various minor and background characters also smoke throughout the film.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- There are a few minor tense moments as the guys carefully pour the highly unstable nitroglycerine onto the bank safes.
- Some viewers may see some of the robberies as tense, but most are played with a slight comic undertone.
- Doc is mistakenly shot and badly wounded. As the brothers race him to help, he bleeds even more and begins mildly convulsing.