The Mask of Zorro (1998) Poster

It belongs to the Top #250.
Dr_Sagan22 September 2013
This is a truly wonderful movie. In my opinion it belongs with the Classics.

What is a classic anyway? Something with timeless quality. And this movie has it.

Just saw this movie again for the 3rd or 4th time since it came out. I remembered almost every scene and still sat to watch it again. To see the great photography, to hear the inspirational music, to admire and have fun with the excellent performances of all actors, leading and supporting.

This movie has it all. It revives one of the more influential characters of all time, with the most appropriate way. You get a dramatic, even tragic, plot, and simultaneously a fun script. Emotion and comedy at the same time. Great visuals and scenery and also good action.

In my opinion this a highly underrated movie (6.7 for 2013 doesn't give it justice at all) and it belongs among the best. For the friend who gave a low rating a note: Not all the dramas have to be edgy and dark.

Overall: Highly recommended
35 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ignore the condescending cynics
Andreita3 August 1998
Wonderful movie, visually rich and a nice blend of comedy, action and romance, well-written. Hopkins is great; so is Banderas as Zorro-in-training, and Zeta-Jones sparkles in her scenes with him. Very little gore or skin, what there is serves the plot instead of BEING the plot. The best movie I've seen in a long time. Note: previews make it look a lot less interesting than it actually is--you just see a lot of things being slashed and blown up, while the comic scenes between Hopkins and Banderas don't really appear (the best part of the film).
87 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A fine action hero
rbverhoef23 December 2003
Zorro is one of my favorite heroes. He looks quite cool and not stupid, weird or childish like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man and all of their villains (except The Joker) and he has no superpowers like them, although sometimes it seems that gravity does not really apply to him. His weapon of choice guarantees some spectacular sword fighting scenes as well.

With this hero all you need is a nice story and 'The Mask of Zorro' has a nice story. I will be short about it. Don Diego de la Vega (Anthony Hopkins) was Zorro but is too old now. He needs another one and Alejandro Murrieta (Antonia Banderas) is the chosen one. Their enemy is Don Rafael (Stuart Wilson). His daughter Elena (Catherine Zeta-Jones) is actually Diego's daughter. His wife was murdered and his daughter was taken by Rafael a long time ago. Rafael also made sure the brother of Alejandro was killed by his helper Capt. Love (Matt Letscher). And now he has an evil plan that will kill a lot of people. Time for the new Zorro.

It sounds a little simple and may be it is, but for a movie like this it is a perfect story. Anthony Hopkins who is never bad does not disappoint us here, Banderas has the right charm to play Zorro, Zeta-Jones is absolutely stunning and Wilson and Letscher are very good as the villains. With some nice action sequences and a pretty good soundtrack this is a very entertaining movie.
63 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good entertainment!
Boba_Fett11386 June 2004
Martin Campbell sure knows how to make entertaining movies. After making "No Escape" and "GoldenEye" he brings us yet another entertaining movie; "The Mask of Zorro". He actually used to be one of my favorite directors after seeing those movies I just named but unfortunately he hasn't made anything good lately. Let's hope this change after completing "Zorro 2" that is currently being made.

"The Mask of Zorro" is just some good old fashioned fun with lot's of spectacular moments, good choreographed fight sequences, a love story and a good old fashioned stereotype villain.

The story is told in a good way which I think is mainly thanks to Campbell's directing. The pace is high and the combination between the action, the characters and their relations, romance and some of the comical moments is done very well, unlike some other movies from the same genre.

There is some nice cinematography that help to create a good atmosphere along with the musical score from James Horner. The end fight is good and it has a spectacular big explosion in it that'll make you go; Wow!

Great entertainment for the whole family.

32 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, Old-Fashioned Adventure
ccthemovieman-122 April 2006
This movie had just a couple of things I would have changed but the overwhelming minutes of this 137-minute movie were well done: a nice old- fashioned adventure story.

Yes, it's hokey in spots, there is a needless irreverent scene in the confessional and the final action scene goes on too long, but all of that is almost standard fare in today's films. Anyway, the "good" in this film far outweighs the "bad."

Some of the "good" is beautiful cinematography featuring bold colors; good action scenes; very little profanity; interesting and somewhat likable lead characters (played by Anthony Hopkins, Antonio Bandaras and Catherine Zeta- Jones), a fun story and very good 5.1surround sound.

Zeta-Jones was a brand new "face" with this movie and she's never looked better. Hopkins, as usual, is the best character as the older "Zorro" who teaches the young one (Bandaras). Some of the action scenes are almost cartoon-like in credibility (Bandaras doing flips while riding two horses at once!) but they are fun.

The story is a familiar one that seems to always satisfy people: revenge.
46 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Explosive,thought out hollywood adventure.
davideo-213 August 1999
The best thing about this movie is the casting.How ingenius,eh? Antonio Banderas as Zorro,eh?And Stuart Wilson as the central villain.This guy is one of the most unrecognised talents around.As a snidy British baddie,he could easily give your average Dennis Hopper a run for his money.Catherine Zeta Jones is also marvellous as the love interest. The action scenes and stunts are fantastic.Real hollywood at it's best.Martin Campbell keeps an efficent and steady pace to proceedings as director. If there's a problem here,it's that it's probably a tad overlong.But luckily,this unwantern time is'nt filled with unnecessary scenes but scenes as visually exciting as the last. It's also marvellous that it's a PG,because such past fare,like Bad Boys,is loud,action packed,exciting and brilliant,it's also rather flatulent and rude.This is just superb action entertainment which can be enjoyed by the whole family.
28 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exquisite adventure with horse action, fencing duels and swashbuckling
ma-cortes13 February 2010
Antonio Banderas is appropriately magnificent along with gorgeous heroine Catherine Zeta-Jones.This superior Zorro with great swordplay is a lavish swashbuckler starred by Anthony Hopkins and Antonio Banderas as the dashing masked avengers . A young Banderas dons a black outfit and becomes the ideal Zorro riding in the hoofprints continuing in the wake of the old Zorro-Hopkins who passes his mantle of protector of hapless ad unfortunates. This is a zesty recounting of saga of legendary masked rider , though not as distinctive as previous classic entry starred by Tyrone Power. Here Zorro faces danger from governor Rafael Montero (Stuart Wilson) as well as corrupt villain captain Harrison (Matt Letscher). And Anthony Hopkins gives slickness and distinction as elegant veteran Zorro. After numerous setbacks the hero and his lovely heroine, a wonderful Catherine Zeta-Jones, help the good people of California thwart the greedy schemes of a meanie who stands in the way of statehood for the territory. The nimble actor Banderas runs and jumps all over the images of this movie, as he deals with the oppressor with a breathtaking finale and wreak havoc included.

In this first Zorro starred by Antonio Banderas took a chance and jumped from comedy-action to costumed comedy-adventures; he steals the show as Murrieta/Zorro relishing his secret identity with cape and sword; executing bounds and leaps, twists and climbs and throughly enjoys himself. A great casting and an unstopped action keep this picture moving at a rapid clip. Banderas made the character of Zorro his own and quickly established himself as a Latin legend. Antonio Banderas is terrific as the Zorro, well accompanied by ideal heroine, a beautiful Zeta-Jones. Nice secondary cast, such as Stuart Wilson, overacting outrageously as the villain, and actors as Tony Amendola and Pedro Armendariz Jr , booth of whom will repeat acting in the following. Furthermore, overwhelming swordplay and horse action and displays too much of everything. Stirring musical score by James Horner and colorful cinematography by Phil Meheux. Other versions about this known character created by Johnston McCulley are the following : The mute classic adaptation ¨Mark of Zorro¨(1920, Fred Niblo, with Douglas Fairbanks), the classic ¨Mark of Zorro¨(1940, Robert Mamoulian with Tyrone Power, Basil Rathbone and Linda Darnell), and followed by ¨The legend of Zorro¨( 2005, Martin Campbell again with Banderas and Catherine Zeta Jones, Tony Amendola,Pedro Armendariz and Rufus Sewell) and European version ¨Zorro¨(1975, Duccio Tessari with Alain Delon, Octavia Piccolo and Stanley Baker) . Rating : 7,5, good, better than average. The motion picture will appeal to trio protagonist fans: Banderas, Hopkins and Zeta Jones. Well worth watching.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zorro for a new generation.
Peach-21 December 1998
I just finished watching The Mask Of Zorro, and it was a spectacular achievement. It all seemed cliched at first, and even though it isn't that original, it still pays off quit well. The cast is great. Anthony Hopkins seems to get away with an English accent in every movie he does,but his acting was solid as usual. Antonio Banderas is teriffic as the new Zorro and there's funny moments between Hopkins and Banderas as teacher and student respectively. Catherine Zeta-Jones is very appealing in her role also. The only real complaint I have is that the bad guys never seem like a real threat. The direction by Martin Campbell is very good and the editing was great. A very good movie.
22 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Best "Zorro" Ever Produced.
tfrizzell4 July 2002
Strikingly entertaining and first-rate in most all cinematic categories, "The Mask of Zorro" is a smart action film that works due to a convincing titled character (Antonio Banderas), the almost unreal beauty of Catherine Zeta-Jones and the professionalism of Anthony Hopkins. Anthony Hopkins starts out as Zorro, but is caught by the evil Stuart Wilson shortly after a wild rescue of three men in the village. Wilson leaves the country and takes Hopkins' baby daughter with him. Fast-forward 20 years and Hopkins has escaped and he begins to teach Banderas (also seeking revenge after the murder of his brother) the way to be a fighter for truth and justice. The baby has grown up to become Zeta-Jones and thinks that she is really Wilson's daughter. A great film that works well due to an adequate screenplay, good characterization and solid direction. A near-perfect success. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
31 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Magnificent Mask**** of Zorro
edwagreen9 December 2012
Terrific action-packed adventure with a retired Zorro, Anthony Hopkins, showing the ropes to a young Antonio Banderas. Both wish to extract revenge on the men for the killing of a wife and brother,respectively.

Catherine Zeta-Jones was in fine form as Hopkins's real daughter, stolen away by the man who loved her mother and watched her being shot to death accidentally by one of the soldiers.

The story is wonderful with some history of Santa Ana in California.

The dueling sequences are terrific as Banderas quickly learns the techniques from the pro Hopkins.

How can you miss with a picture where the villain wants to buy California from Santa Ana and pay for it by using the latter's gold and enslaving people in the process to extract it?
It's on my top 3 movies of all time
sarizonana2 November 2011
First I have to say this is on my top 3 movies of all time, and I loved it since the first time I watched it in theaters with my whole family.

So when it came on DVD I bought it and watched it like countless times.

Latter I gave this movie a long break so when I re watched this movie after so long I discovered so many things I didn't catch when I was younger

Like how sexy this movie and is how strong is the chemistry between Antonio Banderas and Catherine Zeta Jones.

The tango, the sword fight and the confession scene are so sexy but subtle, kids can watch this movie and they wont notice this.

One of the reasons why this movie is so great this movie is really enjoyable for everyone and appropriate for all ages without being silly
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From start to finish, never a dull moment. A fine, entertaining movie!
TxMike7 September 1999
Hopkins, Banderas, and Zeta-Jones are all just perfect in this film. From the action-packed opening scene to the rip-roaring climax near the end, this is a movie to just sit back and enjoy. It avoids taking itself too seriously, with more comedy than pathos. There is action, love, heartbreak, deception, redemption, and back to love. In several different ways. Sword fights, gun fights, dancing, horse chases, explosions. This movie has it all. I saw it on DVD and it comes across beautifully.

SPOILERS. I own the DVD, and seem to re-watch it about every two years. Each time it holds my interest as well as it did the first. As the movie starts Zorro's (Hopkins) wife is killed by the local Spanish don, who also steals his young daughter, while discarding Zorro into prison. Twenty years pass and his daughter (Zeta-Jones) comes to Mexico with her "dad" as Zorro makes a prison break. Being old he finds a new man (Banderas) to train as the new Zorro. Together they eventually foil an attempt at stealing gold and killing all the peasant workers. As Zorro dies, in the arms of his grown daughter, she and the new Zorro make a life together.
First-rate Entertainment
movieratings0312 August 2005
THE MASK OF ZORRO ****1/2 Stunning, visually rich, and highly acclaimed motion picture that retells the story of the Masked Swordsman (Anthony Hopkins) serving the people of California by saving them from the devious plans and conspiracies the Spanish empire and trained forces carry out. Hopkins trains a new Zorro (properly portrayed by Antonio Benderas) to take his place and save California from a tasteless fate. What subsequently takes place is nothing short of first-rate entertainment. The film has delightful humour and well choreographed sword-on-sword sequences. The musical score by James Horner provides additional supportive elements to capture all of the film's diverse moments. Excellent direction by Martin Campbell. A must-see.
22 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great entertainment
85122217 October 2014
Greetings from Lithuania.

"The Mask of Zorro" (1998) is a superb entertainment, a real crowd pleaser. Made with energy, with and superb performances all over around it's a great flick from start till finish. Like many great revenge stories, this one has everything - a progressing hero, a wonderful central character and so on.

Overall, a very solid 8/10 for "The Mask of Zorro" - it's a real entertainment, and you don't have to be a Zorro specialist to truly appreciate this picture, the story is quite simple, but very engaging, acting is the best that could be in this material. Definitely check this flick if you didn't upon it's release.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My favourite film of all time.
morrison-dylan-fan5 August 2012
When deciding to go and watch a movie at the cinema,I have always found,that whilst I remember a lot about the film itself,I most of the time rarely remember much about the surroundings that I watched the movie in.In the middle of 1998,I somehow noticed a mistake,which actually played to my advantage,when I opened the case of a recently brought second hand video,and discovered that instead of the film itself being inside,the contents of the case was a "blank" Video.Seeing that I would have to wait for at least a week until the market was on again,I decided to play the "blank" Video,and quickly discovered that it contained a program shown on an obscure Sky TV channel in the early 90's called "Zorro".As the second of the two episodes from the Duncan Regehr Zorro (which after being left in the wilderness for almost 20 years,has at last been brought out in a huge DVD boxset) began,I started to become very interested in finding any other TV shows/movies related to Zorro.After having almost completely worn out the Zorro tape,I ended up getting the best news that I could have possible heard in 1998,when I found out that a brand new Zorro movie was being shown at a local,community cinema.

(A cinema,that 9 years later I would have the pleasure of being a projectionist at as a "summer job") With still having memories of being completely awe-struck when watching the film at the cinema,I began to wonder if the movie would still leave me with a sense of wonder,after having last watched the film on an imported (thank you Ebay seller!) video 7 years ago…

The plot:

1821:With being told that his rule over California is about to be lost due to Mexico winning the War of Indipendance over control of the city,soon to be thrown out governor Don Rafael Montero decides that his "last act" will be to hold a public execution,in the hope of smoking out,a troublesome "folkhero" called Zorro.Quietly telling two young boys, (one of whom he gives a medallion to) to run away from the execution scene, Zorro makes his entrance and stops the innocent men from being executed.

Knowing that Montero is about to leave California,Zorro decides to give Montero a "Z" shape cut on the side of the neck,as a reminder for him should he try to take control of the city again.Getting away from the now chaotic scene,Don Diego de la Vega takes off the Zorro mask,so that he can spend the rest of the night relaxing with his wife and young daughter Elena.Sadly for de la Vega,Montero has secretly ordered Captain Harrison Love to follow "Zorro" and find out his location.Arriving with a group of loyal guards,Montero goes with Love to say a special "hello" to Zorro.Sicken at learning that Zorro is in fact the man who got married to a woman he deeply desired,Montero starts to brutally beat up Vega,until they both end up freezing,when one of Montero's guards accidentally kills Vega's wife.Furious that he will now never get what he most desired,Montero decides to kidnap Elena,and lock Vega up for the rest of his life.

1841:Having successfully increased their "wanted dead or alive" price tag to $200,"Three-Fingerd" Jack and brothers Alejando and Joaquin Murrieta's is left in ruins when a recently returned Love catches them committing a petty heist,which leads to him getting set to take all 3 of them down.Being told to hide by his brother (who passes him an old medallion) ,Alejando ends up having to witness his brother deciding to commit suicide mere moments before Love gets his hands on him.Desperate to drown out his sorrow, Alejando uses every single penny he has to buy cheap booze,until the only thing which he owns of remaining value is his brothers medallion.

Just before he gives up the medallion for a shot of whisky, Alejando is slammed down on the table by a stranger,who tells him that he remembers giving the Medellin to two young boys many years ago.Attempting to sober him up,the "stranger" tells Alejando that he suspects Montero is about to attempt to regain control of California,and that the only chance that the people of California have of not being ruled by Montero is if the mythical Zorro rides again.

View on the film:

Watching the making of doc ,I was stunned to discover how much trouble there had been of in getting the film made,with the movie originally having been planned for the early 90's,and director's Robert Rodriguez,Mikael Salomon and even Stanly Kubrick!, (who tried his best to get Julio Medem agree to directing the film) all falling to get the project into production.With the hands that had gone through to getting the movie made,I have to say,that seeing the film again after so many years,I was astonished at the unbelievable pace that the screenplay (written by Randall Johnson,John Eskow,Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio) flies by.

Keeping away from dragging this wonderful movie into a needless,overly complex mythology,the writers cleverly use the opening to show Zorro in a glorious mythical light that shines for the whole running time.After having shown Zorro in a heroic light,the writers brilliantly rip up everything that de la Vega holds dear,until he is left with the only option of transforming a worn down,wannabe thief into being a hero for the people.

Backed by Martin Campbell's tremendously warm directing that looks to have come straight from the pages of a long forgotten Romantic Adventure novel,the ensemble cast give the perfect mix of comedic touches and gravitas,with Antonio Banderas (who also did almost all of the breath taking stunts himself) brilliantly making Murrieta's gradually transformation from theft to hero in waiting feel like a natural progression for the character.Pushing Murrieta to breaking point,Anthony Hopkins smartly makes sure that the burden from the tragedies is felt,whist also showing a shine in the eyes for being the hero of the people that he once was.
"Vigorous?" B+
gigan-9223 May 2012
I'm disappointed I didn't check this one out sooner. What you get is an aggregation of not only many film genres, but many classic films. If you're a film buff, you'll spot them easily. Naturally, Zorro sports black and also takes refuge in his own little Batcave, there's a scene that pays direct homage to "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" and a lot of the action scenes are choreographed in the style of a fight scene in one of the Indiana Jones movies, mixing action with comedy, take your pick. Now here's why I differentiate between homage and rip-off. Like the Western, Batman and Indiana Jones, Zorro's tale began early on in cinema, around 70 years before this film, also in comics and such. Zorro has been the subject of SEVERAL feature films back in the day, just as good old Dr. Jones is based off 30s serial heroes. Therefore when one sees all these things blended together, it makes for nice nostalgia.

Another thing that boosts the film up is a very well put together cast. Antonio Banderas and Anthony Hopkins are both as dashing as they are dramatic. Catherine Zeta-Jones is sexy but serves as more than eye-candy, well done. The villains are quite awesome, Stuart Wilson being quite debonair yet also playing one of the few great tortured villains. And Matt Letscher is just great. There's lots of great-fitting comedy as well as action that mixes contemporary stunts with classic-styled adventure.

Add the score by James Horner and you got yourself a winner. Martin Campbell has certainly created an exciting ode to the classics.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a wonderful movie. a must see
fancrow18 May 2006
I loved this movie. And I love Antonio Banderas. I thought it is the perfect movie: there is action, romance, and Antonio Banderas gives this terrific movie a sexy edge.

W ell where do I start. I must admit if it hadn't been Antonio Banderas as the new Zorro I doubt I would have liked it. It amazed me and I have probably seen this movie over ten times. Anthony Hopkins was good but his role wasn't the optimum choice of roles.

If you are an Antonio Banderas fan you will love it. If you aren't well I think you will fall in love with him. I probably sound like I'm obsessed with Antonio Banderas and I am but he plays the role perfectly and he is not just wonderfully handsome but an amazing actor.
The Modern Errol Flynn
JamesHitchcock13 May 2006
The story of the Californian hero Zorro has much in common with the legend of Robin Hood. Both Diego de la Vega and Robert of Locksley are aristocrats, but both choose to side with the common people in their fight against injustice and oppression by foreign overlords, be they the Norman conquerors of England or the Spanish colonial rulers of California. Both men, at least in the cinematic versions of the legend, are expert swordsmen. Traditionally, of course, Robin Hood was more associated with the longbow than the sword, but the producers of adventure movies have always known that sword-fights make for exciting cinema. Hence the famous duel between Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone in "The Adventures of Robin Hood" (or, for that matter, all those light-sabres in "Star Wars"). Similarly, Zorro still clings to his trusty blade, even though the stories are set at a time in the nineteenth century when serious differences were settled by the gun and swords were largely confined to ceremonial uses and ritualistic duelling.

This particular version of the story begins in 1821 when Mexico (which at this date still included California) is about to gain its independence from Spain. Zorro rescues three men from being executed by the evil Spanish governor, Don Rafael Montero, but is recognised as being Diego de la Vega, a man against whom Montero has long held a grudge. Zorro is arrested at his home and in the struggle his wife Esperanza is killed. Montero kidnaps his daughter Elena and raises her as his own.

The action then leaps forward twenty years to 1841, when Zorro manages to escape after a long imprisonment. Montero has now returned to California as the leader of a conspiracy to escape from Mexican rule and to form an independent republic with himself as dictator. He has discovered a rich source of gold which he is secretly mining. Although this gold is the property of the Mexican government, they are unaware of its existence, and Montero intends to use it to buy California's independence from a government desperate for funds to finance its war against the Americans. In order to thwart this plot and to avenge the death of his wife, Zorro finds a young man, Alejandro, who has a grudge against Montero whose henchman Captain Love was responsible for the death of his brother, and trains him in the art of sword-fighting to take his place as the new Zorro.

The film is in many ways similar to the recent sequel, "The Legend of Zorro". Both are swashbuckling adventure stories with a likable hero in Antonio Banderas's Alejandro and a ravishingly beautiful heroine in Catherine Zeta Jones's Elena. Elena is not just the hero's love interest (inevitably, she and Alejandro end up falling for each other), but also a heroine in her own right, a fearless and resourceful lady who is as skilled with a sword as he is. Catherine has never looked lovelier than she does here. The earlier film is, however, the better one. It has a second hero in Anthony Hopkins's de la Vega, who brings to the role a dignity and gravitas lacking in the sequel, in which he does not appear. It is not as blithely unconcerned with historical accuracy as the second film, although there are still one or two errors.(The leader of the Mexican nationalist rebel armies in 1821 was not Santa Anna but Iturbide; Mexico was not at war with the USA in 1841 as the Mexican-American War did not break out until 1846).

More importantly, there is a significant difference in the political tone of the two films. The sequel is dominated by a rather paranoid post-9/11 patriotism, with Zorro becoming a heroic defender of America against a dastardly foreign conspiracy to blow up the nation's capital. This tone is fortunately absent from the original film. Rather, its ethos is what Roger Ebert describes as a "sense of honour". Zorro is the representative of truth and decency, the righter of wrongs, the champion of the weak against the strong. (The climax comes when Zorro has to prevent Montero and his henchmen from not only destroying the mine but also blowing up all the miners with it, in order to conceal the evidence of their illegal gold-mining). This is not the film to go to if you are looking for deep analysis of moral issues or great psychological depth. As a modern version of those old Errol Flynn swashbuckling adventures, however, it is excellent. 7/10
Great romance and adventure
perfectbond18 February 2004
I remember of all the summer movies of 1998 (Armageddon, Deep Impact, Lethal Weapon IV etc.), I enjoyed this one the most. Sure a few liberties with plausibility might have been taken but the overall experience was very enjoyable. There was a sense of pioneering, honor, romance, and loyalty about the characters that made the viewing experience all the more immersive. Director Martin Campbell (Goldeneye, Vertical Limit) staged some exciting action sequences and was lucky to have a talented cast to make considerably more out of what could have been stock characters. Oh, and Banderas (in his best Hollywood role) and Zeta-Jones have great chemistry, a fact that is especially notable in their memorable dance together. All in all, very good escapist entertainment, 9/10.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slashing story, slicing performances, cutting dialogue...
helpless_dancer19 May 2001
With the opening frame of Zorro I figured I had been taken to the edge of bad movie making and dropped over. It looked like another corny slash and chatter bomb, but I wound up pretty much liking it. I don't consider it to be a really superb film, but I managed to stay interested all the way through. There was plenty of action, some romance, and quite a few laughs. I think that is what won me over: this picture is a comedy for the most part. A serious comedy. What Zorro is not is what I expected it to be.
18 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fun And Delightful Entertaining Film
Desertman8416 October 2012
The Mask of Zorro is a swashbuckler film based on the Zorro character created by Johnston McCulley. It was directed by Martin Campbell and stars Antonio Banderas, Anthony Hopkins, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Stuart Wilson. In the story, the original Zorro escapes from prison to find his long-lost daughter and avenge the death of his wife against the corrupt governor. He is aided by his successor that also pursues his own vendetta.

With scenic 18th century Mexico as a backdrop,Don Diego de la Vega, intent on revenge after rival enemy Don Raphael Montero murdered his wife and took his daughter, Elena. After being imprisoned for 20 years, the fabled hero removes his mask and takes on a tarnished young apprentice, Alejandro Murieta, to infiltrate Montero's plan to take control of California from Santa Anna. A boisterous outlaw with his own desire for revenge, Murieta works with Diego to avenge his brother's death by the sword of Montero's right-hand man, Captain Harrison Love. After Diego's extensive training in sword fighting, discipline and manners, a new Zorro appears wreaking vengeance and stealing the heart of a now-grown Elena.

Buckling the swash in a way approaching Errol Flynn, Antonio Banderas is up for the action and handles the slapstick as the inept student with aplomb. The romance between him and Catherine Zeta-Jones has sparks, too.The screenplay follows the predictable paths of action movies, but re-energizes the pattern with adrenaline, exuberance, creativity, and humor.It's self-consciously stylized and unapologetically escape movie but it results into an entertaining,fun and delightful one as well.
Spectacular Film of Excitement
Not many films start off with an interesting introduction. However, director Martin Campbell did a great job at bringing a new Zorro to take over the old aging Zorro. The way the characters act, the time that is put into making Zorro is done meticulously and it shows. It's great to see how everything in the plot starts out simple and then becomes more complex. Once the complex situations start to arise, the execution of it is beautiful.

After becoming famous for being El Mariachi in Desperado (1995), Antonio Banderas is cast as the new Zorro to take over. Because Banderas is of Hispanic decent, the role of Zorro really fits him. So who's the old Zorro - none other than Anthony Hopkins. What makes Hopkins great as the older Zorro was the fact of how he became the mentor for Banderas. And although for the most part when he's lecturing, he's very serious, yet he shows that he still has a lot of energy for being elderly. Along side those two actors is Catherine Zeta-Jones, the daughter of the original Zorro. When Jones and Banderas are together, they have really great chemistry. My favorite part is when they were dancing together; it's very sexy and culturally attractive.

The action sequences in this film are really something to behold. Much of it also entails a bit of comedy too. This is all helped by Banderas' charm as the new Zorro. It is because he is new and inexperienced that he makes things funny. The sword fights are really cool to see. The style that is put into using the sword in this film is truly whimsical. Much of these events take place with Banderas, Hopkins or the villains they're fighting. However, we do get a glimpse of Jones using the sword for a while too. It's nice to see some female domination in a setting like this because in the time that this took place, obviously women were not expected to take on a male's role such as that.

Finally, the two other elements that make this movie great are the music and the plot. The music was composed by veteran James Horner. I really liked the way Horner captured the feel of the environment during the setting of the story. Much of the soundtrack has Hispanic instruments and it is obvious when listened to. And that is the icing on the cake. As for the story, I was pleased with how it was carried out. In the beginning of the film, the story was about a man only looking out for others but then landed in trouble. So who rescues him out of his trouble - a friend he made from years past. Not to mention his friend falls in love with the troubled man's daughter and the troubled man resolves his problems. The end result of this film is more than satisfying, and it will make viewers look inside themselves for what values they stand for.

It can be interpreted as The Three Musketeers (1993) spin-off with a Hispanic twist, but for the record, this film holds its own and is really entertaining to watch. The performances are more than gratifying, the action is wondrous and the music is very lively.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An amazing, entertaining, and very well made swashbuckler
cinefreakdude15 June 2011
The Mask Of Zorro - this is entertainment at it's finest. The acting is great all around each actor/actress giving an energetic performance. The choreography of the fight scenes was amazing, and all the action scenes were amazing and featured awesome stunts. The only bad thing I can think of is that the plot was a bit weak, but hey, it's Zorro, what it's all about is the action, and this movie sure excels there. The other main thing I loved about this movie was the soundtrack, James Horner does a fantastic job, creating one of the most complex and memorable film scores I've ever heard. The mask of Zorro is a must see for any of you guys out there who haven't yet.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anthony Hopkins at His Best!!!
badstrong3129 August 2009
I love this movie. I don't like some of the older Western movies, or western movies in general, but I have never seen a more well written, beautifully acted movie besides Terminator, the Godfather, Star Wars, ET, and Back to the Future. This is my favorite Anthony Hopkins role besides Hannibal. He was perfect for the role of old Zorro. I highly recommend this movie. It's a great movie. It's exciting, clever, it has characters you care about, its a great movie. But this is a type of movie where either you love it within the first 30 minutes, or you hate it instantly. If you're looking for a good, exciting movie, I highly suggest it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The New Mask of Zorro Topped the Old Classic Zorro !
whpratt14 January 2004
Always enjoyed the classic "Mark of Zorro" original in the 40's, however, Anthony Hopkins (Don Diego/Zorro), "Meet Joe Black",'98 gave an outstanding performance through out the entire picture and taught the new Zorro all the tricks of the trade with the dueling and sword swinging, almost looked like Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.in action! Catherine Zeta-Jones, (Elana)"Chicago",'02 performed a very torrid Spanish dance and was extremely HOT during the entire picture. Elana almost lost her underwear with the swift blades of the newly taught young ZORRO introduced in this film. This is a very refreshing new approach to the Zorro image and is a must see film !
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.